The Lonely Warrior Queen

By LavenderHamsa

It all started when Princess Catheline married the dangerously attractive and recently crowned King of Anthre... More

{Chapter 1}
{Chapter 2}
{Chapter 3}
{Chapter 4}
{Chapter 5}
{Chapter 6}
{Chapter 7}
{Chapter 8}
{Chapter 9}
{Chapter 10}
{Chapter 11}
{Chapter 12}
{Chapter 13}
{Chapter 14}
{Chapter 15}
{Chapter 16}
{Chapter 17}
{Chapter 18}
{Chapter 19}
{Chapter 20}
{Chapter 21}
{Chapter 22}
{Chapter 23}
{Chapter 24}
{Chapter 25}
{Chapter 26}
{Chapter 27}
{Chapter 28}
{Chapter 29}
{Chapter 30}
{Chapter 31}
{Chapter 32}
{Chapter 33}
{Chapter 34}
{Chapter 35}
{Chapter 36}
{Chapter 37}
{Chapter 38}
{Chapter 39}
{Chapter 40}
{Chapter 41}
{Chapter 42}
{Chapter 43}
{Chapter 44}
{Chapter 45}
{Chapter 46}
{Chapter 47}
{Chapter 48}
{Chapter 49}
{Chapter 50}
{Chapter 51}
{Chapter 52}
{Chapter 53}
{Chapter 54}
{Chapter 55}
{Chapter 56}
{Chapter 57}
{Chapter 58}
{Chapter 59}
{Chapter 60}
{Chapter 61}
{Chapter 62}
{Chapter 63}
{Chapter 64}
{Chapter 65}
{Chapter 66}
{Chapter 67}
{Chapter 68}
{Chapter 69}
{Chapter 70}
{Chapter 71}
{Chapter 72}
{Chapter 73}
{Chapter 74}
{Chapter 75}
{Chapter 76}
{Chapter 77}
{Chapter 78}
{Chapter 79}
{Chapter 80}
{Chapter 81}
{Chapter 82}
{Chapter 83}
{Chapter 84}
{Chapter 85}
{Chapter 87}
{Chapter 88}
{Chapter 89}
{Chapter 90}
{Chapter 91}
{Chapter 92}
{Chapter 93}
{Chapter 94}
{Chapter 95}
{Chapter 96}
{Chapter 97}
{Chapter 98}
{Chapter 99}
{Chapter 100}
{Chapter 101}
{Chapter 102}
{Chapter 103}
{Chapter 104}
{Chapter 105}
{Chapter 106}
{Chapter 107}
{Chapter 108}
{Chapter 109}
{Chapter 110}
{Chapter 111}
{Chapter 112}
{Chapter 113}
{Chapter 114}
{Chapter 115}
{Chapter 116}
{Chapter 117}
{Epilogue I}
{Epilogue II}
ו My Review •×
!NEW STORY!
×Swords and Schemes×

{Chapter 86}

1.3K 67 2
By LavenderHamsa

Xander's POV:

It was hard. But just like how the ice melted, my heart was convinced that it was for the best indeed. It had been two days since the incident and it still lingered in my heart like regret.

Captivity was turning Lestor into an angry and uncontrollable creature. I hated what I had to do to make him leave but hearing his painful howls almost made me tear up. Just like I did when I first found him.

Soon, I had to force myself to focus on my other important duties. Currently, I stood in the empty council chambers, glancing over the large map that was laid across the table.

The man Catheline found, turned out to be a man of genius. He added additional details to the map. All the kingdoms we had to cross were now displayed on the map with elegant art. And there was a hurdle we didn't expect.

"Sulfia is a proportionate kingdom, not bigger than our own. But..."

"Go on," I muttered, glancing at the illustration of the country.

The man hesitated. I gave him a quick look and he smiled nervously. He was the keeper of books and records who retired from the castle after working for almost fifty decades. I had to call him back, regarding some information. Luckily, he was one healthy and energetic man.

"Your grandfather," he sighed. "He...had a small dispute with the King, Your Majesty,"

I shut my eyes in frustration. "What did he do?"

The man seemed quite hesitant and I almost assumed what it must be. "He...He refused to trade with them and behaved rudely with them when the then King arrived with his family. In open court, he...he very much attempted to take his wife as a lover---"

I slammed my fists on the table before placing one of them on my head. That made the two people present in the room as quiet as a wall but the man continued.

"...who was much older than himself...At that time, he was simply seventeen years of age---"

"How the hell am I related to him?" I mumbled, glancing at Nathaniel. He held a sympathetic expression.

"Thankfully, you only happen to inherit all the good qualities, Your Majesty," he responded.

That did less to reassure me. I glanced at the old man and caught him staring at me.

"There is more!?" I grunted, making him take a step back.

"The King of Sulfia declared war over the insult of his wife, even if nothing happened between the two and...Anthreal crushed them before they could even make their first move,"

The problem of the past was damning me in the present. May the one above show no peace to the man behind this. Day by day, I grew angrier at the one who was supposed to be a wise military general. Seemingly, that was his one true quality.

"The new King of Sulfia, his great-grandson is known to be stubborn as feasible, Your Majesty," Nathaniel reported accordingly. "His father passed away before he could have the throne. Reports say that the now King spread prosperity throughout the kingdom,"

"What are the chances of him letting us through his gates? I questioned, glancing at the map. "As seen here, there is a river that blocks our way to Visalore,"

"Um..." Nathaniel mumbled. "Well, the past is in the past. Hopefully, this King would understand how different you are from your predecessor and act wise. Just like the King of Sealore,"

I nodded and hoped the same. Just then, the old man spoke.

"Your father...he intended to establish peace between the kingdoms," He stated, making me rooted to the spot. Well...that was before he..."

He remained silent as a sign of respect. This man seemed to know more than he looks.

"Did he talk to you of it?"

"He wished to make an official document and he did discuss it before me, but most of the council did not agree with him,"

Well, back then, all the people were stern and judgemental. They possibly didn't wish to keep their pride aside by apologizing and making peace with the nation they fought. While my father reigned, people who served my grandfather were still active on the council.

"Nathaniel," I called him. He stepped closer to the table. "I wish to do what my father intended. We are going to make our peace with Sulfia,"

"I shall send a letter---"

"Not a letter," I interrupted and looked at him. "An envoy,"

There were many damn things I had to fix. Many people I had to apologize in the stead of my predecessors. This was going to be a long way.
.................................................................

We made our way back to the study after sending the man away carefully. I still had many things to consider and many decisions remained pending.

"Colton, Grey, Lynner, Cressel, and Blackford," Nathaniel chanted, trying to convince me once again.

"It is not happening," I gave him a firm look as I walked toward the open window. A small cluster of snow settled on the ledge.

"They have reasonable combat skills and a strong will to fight for you, Your Majesty!" he exclaimed. "I have seen each of them fight in the training yard. Raw potential like that must not be kept with no use,"

"This could be a suicide mission," I told him, dusting away the snow. He was now making me angry. "They have families. I can't risk it,"

He sighed but did not seem to give up. "If you wish to crush the devil's head, you must be just as daring and ruthless as him,"

I snapped my head toward his direction, quirking my eyebrow. "Are you asking me to be cruel?" he moved his head in surprise. "Are you asking me to send them, not caring for their well-being?"

"No, Your Majesty," he smiled. "This is because you can never be cruel to your people. I, out of all people, have seen what you felt. Whenever you hear that someone had hurt your people, it feels like a dagger to the flesh. Isn't that the reason why your people love you?"

I had to give his words a thought and couldn't say that I wasn't moved.

"Your devotion and wishing for the people is what makes you different than your enemy," Nathaniel moved a step forward and continued. "He sends his men and would not care if they die for him. His loyalty is one-sided. While you are here, be prepared to fight for your people. You will do anything to keep them safe. Trust me, these are not only my words but the words of others. You are our King and you are worth dying for,"

"Nathaniel..." I mumbled, trying not to get too emotional. "When did you manage to be this talented with words?"

"I have no clue either," he grinned before continuing. "All the men I mentioned, they talked to me. They wanted you to know how much grateful they are,"

"I could barely save all those families those scum locked up," I told him, glancing at the floor. "I couldn't protect them the first time,"

"But you did save them, am I right?" he replied as quickly as I ended my sentence. "You knew the location of those heinous men and yet, you first sorted to save their families. Any other man would simply raid the area, without a care to quench their anger. But you did not..."

All his compliments and words of respect made their way into my head and heart. It was good to know that. It felt good and once again, a fire took over my heart.

"You are pretty convincing," I smiled as I looked at him. "No wonder I chose you as my companion,"

"To that, I am the most grateful," he bowed with a playful air. "But I am being serious, Your Majesty. We have a lot to do and you must make your decision,"

After a long time of consideration and debating, accompanied by Nathaniel's words of encouragement, I finally found a conclusion to the issue.
.................................................................

"This is so exciting!"

That was the first response of Aaron Cressel after he was told of the task. The other men watched him with fascination and confusion.

It was nearing night. That very evening, I sent word to all the ones recommended. On my orders, they were seen as a comfortable living space near the castle. I even summoned the map maker, for additional information. As a safety measure, Nathaniel added Leon too but I denied it. I needed him by my side.

"After a long time, finally we got an important job," Desmond smiled, resting his hands on the table where the map was placed. "We are the most pleased to be at your service, Your Majesty,"

I smiled in return as I looked over the map. I gestured for Ravilf Mildred to come closer and he did so.

"Tell us more about the village nearby,"

He nodded and cleared his throat before leaning forward to the map. "The village was small but developing, Your Majesty. It had markets and shops the last time I visited it. It is an open place to all foreign visitors,"

"How far is it from the castle?" Eustice pondered.

"There is a speakable distance," Mildred replied and circled the spot on the map. "It used to be wider but now, there is a large distance between the castle and the village. Most of the supplies reach this place and my best guess is that they have been multiplied since an army was formed,"

Silence prevailed in the chambers while I let his words sink in. So, to infiltrate Visalore, the people to be sent must be convincing. Identities must be forged and stories must be fabricated.

"What are your orders, Your Majesty?" a voice alerted me.

It was Lucian Grey, who was watching me keenly. I slipped my hands into my pockets and stepped close to the table.

"Your mission is to infiltrate their army with convincing get-ups, learn as much as information you can, and return by time,"

"How long?"

"Two months,"

Again, the table fell silent. Of course, they had to take their time to think about it. But I was surprised when I heard responses so soon.

"I am prepared to die for you if I must, Your Majesty," Desmond was the first to rise. "I am in as long as we all can work together,"

"Well, I am more glad than you, Desmond," Aaron competed and bowed his head while looking at me. "I will kill for you if I must,"

That left three others, who seemed hesitant. But Eustice snapped out of it before looking at me, all serious.

"I am in as well," he simply replied. "Even if my wife would kill me for this, I am in,"

"Well, hopefully, both our wives can keep each other company until we return," Gerald Lynner put a hand on his shoulder before looking at me. "I am in too,"

It only left Lucian, who was still deep in thought. Everyone was staring at him, waiting for an answer but only I saw the hidden doubt in his eyes.

"Leave me alone with Lucian," I ordered.

After everyone bowed and left, I sighed before approaching him. He was a little apprehensive about what I wanted to say.

"What is it, Lucian?" I questioned kindly.

He looked up at my eyes and for a brief moment, I saw the inner misery that he held within.

"Please do not misunderstand my silence, Your Majesty..." he said, as he kept his gaze on the ground. "I do know about Desmond. Aaron doesn't need a family. Both Eustice and Gerald made their arrangement. But...what can I do?"

His question marked a deep spot in my heart. I knew what he was speaking of but I listened as he went on.

"My little girl..." he mumbled. "I am all she has...And she is all I have. For the sake of the one above, what will she do if I..."

His concerns were natural. But they made such an impact on me and I wondered how he managed to keep his tears. I rested an arm on his shoulder, making him look up.

"Do you truly think that I would let your daughter suffer if something happened to you?"

His eyes widened and he remained speechless. I sighed and patted his shoulder before letting him go.

"You can take your time to think," I told him as I placed a hand on the edge of the table. "After two weeks, the rest would start their journey. I would not blame you at all if you do not arrive at the castle that day,"
.................................................................

It took some time for me to arrive at my chambers. I hoped that Catheline was asleep because I did not wish for her to stay awake for me. I was possibly prepared to slumber because of how tired my head was. So filled with many thoughts that I still wanted to think of.

When I reached the chambers and opened the door, I heard strange noises that rooted me to the spot I was standing on.

"How sweet and cute you are, you two babies..."

I was aghast to find out that it was my wife, sitting at the edge of the bed and whispering something to something. Slowly, I closed the doors and approached her. Even then, she did not seem to have heard me.

"How adorable you are, Ryner! And I just can't get enough of you, Floria. How lovable---"

I faked clearing my throat loudly to call her attention. Her hair twirled around as she turned to face me. There, I could see two birds perched on her arm. Both of them were making noises as if they were angry at being interrupted.

"Husband," she greeted before putting her attention back to her pets.

I was flabbergasted and stood there like an idiot would. Here I was, exhausted and wishing for nothing but the presence of my wife and she barely acknowledged me while continuing to fondle with her birds.

A wave of jealousy swept away my patience and I strutted toward the bed with heavy steps before laying at the very edge and pulling the duvet over myself.

After a while, she seemed to notice my silly behavior and I felt her shifting toward me.

"Hubby..." she whispered, placing a hand on my head and ripping the blanket off of me with tremendous speed.

"I want to sleep," I declared, keeping my eyes shut. "You can go and go on with playing and doting on your birds,"

I heard her laughing and it simply furthered my temper. Even if her tone was so sweet.

"You envious man," she muttered playfully before rubbing my arm. "Stop being so unreasonable and talk to me,"

"You can go ahead and talk with your birds,"

I could sense her anger piping up as well, as she began pinching my arm. I had to sit up while trying to not give in to her tactics.

"Go pinch your birds, not me,"

"What am I to do with you?..." she sighed as she held her head. "Are you being serious now? Behave like a man, not a child, Xander,"

At that retort, I laid back on the bed once again and faced away from her. "Well, I am angry now. You have to console me if you want me to talk,"

I did not expect that she would crawl nearer to the nightstand and once again speak to her birds.

"Ryner and Floria...though I must say that I love you two, I love my sweet and alluring husband even more. Forgive me but that is the truth,"

I was aware that I was already blushing at her words. And once again, the advice that Gerald Lynner gave returned to my thoughts. I had to know when to walk in and when to step away. It was the most sensible thing we men must do.

"I belong to him and I just hope that he understands how much I missed him today. He may be stupid at times but still, he is the one in my heart, alright?"

I felt my heart flipping inside my chest happily as I heard her honey-filled words. It did not matter if she called me stupid. I smiled to myself but quickly it turned to shock when I felt her lips on my neck.

"What are you doing?"

"What you truly want," she whispered. "Me fondling you,"

I let out a short laugh before allowing her to continue what she was doing. But this time, I shifted so she could feel more comfortable.

"Not so talkative, are we?" she giggled and lifted her head. I quickly pulled her onto myself once again, her head hitting the top of my chest with a startled groan.

"Did I tell you to stop?"

"Did you tell me to initiate it?" she fired back, making me speechless for a moment.

We both started chuckling at the same time. I shifted so I could nestle closer to her, allowing her to rest her head on my chest faintly.

"How was your day?" she questioned fondly like she always did whenever I return.

"It was...exhausting," I muttered, remembering whatever happened. "Do you want to hear it?"

"You indeed look tired," she remarked, glancing up. "I shall give you the pleasure of slumber,"

I smiled and kissed the top of her head. "Thank you," 

She always knew what I wanted. And I loved her even more for that.
____________________________________

Author's note:

I can't stop grinning at this chapter---

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

666 42 9
True Love don't always find each other. ...unless you're planning to use a mix of the truth and lies. Nahariel has found his lover at last. However...
4M 124K 58
*COMPLETED* BOOK 1 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES #1 Packs 26/01/2021 #1 Emotions 27/09/2019 #1 Sacrifice 25/10/2019 Elizabeth Crow was only a young p...
8.7K 1K 29
||WATTY 2021 SHORTLIST|| Ex-Princess-Bride wants to marry her beloved Dragon, but when a curse threatens their happily ever after, they are left raci...
14.1K 1K 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...