Call It What You Want

Af shhravanii

🏅featured on Romance's reading list 🏅featured on Chicklit's reading list ❝We are not just friends or co-wor... Mere

foreword
dedication and epigraph
Chapter One: See You On The Flip Side
Chapter Two: Break Up, Break Free, Break Through, Break Down
Chapter Three: See You Around? Maybe Not
Chapter Four: The Lie In Belief
Chapter Five: That's Always the Story, Isn't It?
Chapter Six: Surprise Me
Chapter Seven: Heavenly
Chapter Eight: You Can Hear It In The Silence
Chapter Nine: Smiles For Miles
Chapter Ten: Where It Starts And Ends
Chapter Eleven: Because You Look Horrible
Chapter Twelve: Nothing More
Chapter Thirteen: Watch Rain With Me
Chapter Fourteen: Midnight Rain
Chapter Fifteen: High On Love
Chapter Sixteen: Wrong Place, Right Time
Chapter Seventeen: Such Idiots
Chapter Eighteen: Something More
Chapter Nineteen: A Pro-Con List
Chapter Twenty: Don't Get Sad, Get Even
Chapter Twenty-One: The Saying With The Book And Their Covers
Chapter Twenty-Two: Give Me Back My Girlhood
Chapter Twenty-Three: Sunlight
Chapter Twenty-Four: Starry Starry Day
Chapter Twenty-Five: Let Me Down Slowly
Chapter Twenty-Six: You Are The Reason
Chapter Twenty-Seven: More And More
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Feels Right
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Easy There, Don't Be So Hard
Chapter Thirty: No Bondage, Only Bonding
Chapter Thirty-One: The Dream
Chapter Thirty-Two: Far Far Away
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Second Chance
Chapter Thirty-Five: So Close Yet So Far
Chapter Thirty-Six: Dance With Me
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Great War
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Stop, You're Losing Me
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Never Again
Chapter Forty: So It Goes
acknowlegments
more by the author

Chapter Thirty-Four: Sparks Fly

156 7 0
Af shhravanii

"RYKER, GET DRESSED!" Laavanya yelled as she walked in on him cooking food in the kitchen. "I will take care of the food. I've picked your outfit. The guests will be here any minute."

"Just a minute," he said as he threw chopped coriander into the pan. "Come here. Turn the stove to a lower flame once this turns into reddish brown. Got it?"

"It's already reddish brown."

"On a second thought..." He turned the stove and grabbed her face to kiss her forehead. "Don't touch anything. And you look great." He rushed out of the kitchen and dashed into the bedroom. Laavanya aimlessly looked around before picking a fork up. She stuck the pasta in her mouth and moaned gleefully at the taste. She was about to have some more when the doorbell rang.

She put the fork away and walked out of the kitchen at the same time Ryker came out, fully dressed. She eyed from top to bottom to back into eyes. She bit her lips, containing her nasty thoughts and turned back towards her door.

Laavanya looked at herself and then took a breath before opening the door. Julie lunged inside to give both of them a hug before standing back beside Neel.

"Thank you for inviting us," Neel said as she handed her a bottle of wine.

"Get in. Sydney will be here with her date in a minute too."

Ryker ushered Neel into the apartment and when Laavanya began to follow them, Julie tugged her arm and whispered, "Syd has a date?!"

"Yeah, I had the same reaction." Laavanya closed the door and walked with her to the kitchen. Ryker and Neel had already begun to talk about something related to where they grew up while Laavanya and Julie discussed Sydney and her mystery date while arranging the plate.

The doorbell rang again and when they opened the door, Sydney stood there with her arm hooked around a man whose face looked very familiar. He was a tall man with a muscular figure. With dark green eyes and a barely visible smile, anyone could mistake him as a model.

"Ryker, Laavanya..." Sydney said with a nervous smile. "This is Callahan Sinclair."

"I feel like I have heard that name before," Ryker said. "Sinclair as in Sinclair Productions?"

"That's right. That's my company." Callahan extended his hand to shake it with Ryker's. They exchanged quick pleasantries and walked inside. Laavanya teasingly eyed Callahan when he wasn't looking and winked at Sydney.

Nice score, she mouthed to her.

Laavanya brought the food to the table along with Ryker and Julie. She served each of them the starters and sat on the chair between Ryker and Neel and in front of them sat Callahan and Sydney. Sydney refused to look at Callahan and looked flushed. Her breath hitched when they both reached for the spoon and their fingers touched.

Both Ryker and Laavanya exchanged a knowing glance.

"So, Sydney—" Julie asked, cutting the silence. "How did you and Callahan meet?"

"He, um..." Sydney paused and looked at him. Callahan visibly gulped the food down his throat and answered for her instead, "I was at her gig on Friday. We met backstage after her performance."

"That's sweet. And what's it like dating a CEO of one of the biggest companies?" Julie was teasing Sydney and she didn't even attempt to hide it.

"It has its pros and cons." Sydney abruptly snapped her neck towards Laavanya and Ryker. "The food is amazing. Thank you so much but you really didn't have to throw this dinner for me. I was just doing my job."

"You did an excellent job." Ryker smiled. "We just wanted to thank you for it. Speaking of which, I talked to my friend. He wants to be anonymous but he will be present at one of your next shows. Text me your gigs later."

"I will, thanks." Sydney now turned to Neel. "And how did you two meet?"

Laavanya held back her smile. Sydney already knew they were friends with benefits but after Julie's little attempt at making Sydney blush, she was ready to take her harmless revenge as well.

"We crossed paths at a small reunion party," Neel said. "I was so pleased to meet her again, I just had to take her out on a date."

"Oh, Neel—" Julie pressed a smile and jabbed his arm. "He was so nervous about asking me out. He almost choked when I said yes. After all, how could anyone say no to this handsome face." She jabbed his arm again and Neel tried to hide his scowl.

Everyone knew those two were lying except for Ryker and Callahan—who nodded at them and ate their food.

"Shall I serve the main course?" Laavanya asked.

"I'll join you!" Sydney said.

"Me too." Julie stood up from her chair too and the ladies walked into the kitchen together. Sydney innocently took a bowl in her hand and was walking towards the dining table when Julie grabbed Sydney's arm. "Callahan Sinclair? Are you kidding me? Why didn't you tell us?"

Sydney bit her lips. "It happened so fast and—"

"Wait a minute." Laavanya furrowed her eyebrows. "Your show was just before yesterday. You met him, went on a date and invited him to dinner in a span of three days?"

Sydney stared at the bowl in her hands. "Y-yes."

"Really?"

"Yeah." She repeated, "Yeah. Sparks fly."

"If you say so..." Julie shrugged and carried one of the containers to the living room. Laavanya gave her a suspicious look but didn't say a word. They had become friends just a couple of weeks ago, Sydney was under no obligation to tell them the truth.

But Laavanya had really thought she could have a big female gang.

***

Dinner was over but upon Ryker's suggestion, they had decided to have a couple of drinks. The men were standing in the balcony talking about work and politics while the women were leaning in the kitchen—their topics were lighter, mostly small talk and new trends. Despite the earlier events, there wasn't any tension between them.

"I wish Paris could come too." Julie sat on the counter and sipped her red wine. Sydney and Laavanya were leaning against the oven—facing Julie. They nodded at her comment. "Oh, the good news is—I think I will submit my first draft by next weekend. We should go celebrate."

"Don't you have to arrange Savannah's bachelorette?"

"Shit, yes. I am trying to brainstorm ideas but between writing my book and social media marketing, I am barely getting any time. Any suggestion? Yes to strippers, by the way. Both Jake and her want to go all out."

"My friend had her bachelorette on a private cruise. What is your budget?" Sydney asked.

"My family owns a ship so I guess that can happen. All I have to do is hire a stripper, get food and invite her friends. Can you two come as well?"

"I appreciate the offer but I don't know your cousin so I am out."

"And I finally have a face-to-face meeting with Mr. Z. I am going to find out who the mystery celebrity I am working for is. But..." Laavanya raised her wine glass. "I can help you with decorating the boat, if you want."

"Me too!"

"That would be great. I could buy her a wedding present with the money instead."

"Sounds perfect. Do you want to join the men? The view from the balcony is great," Laavanya suggested. Julie nodded and got down the counter. They turned to leave the kitchen when Sydney spoke up.

"I am not actually dating Callahan."

Both Julie and Laavanya turned her in slow-motion—their eyes widened.

"What?" They said in unison.

"We are fake-dating," Sydney said.

"What?" They repeated.

She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and rested her wineglass aside. "We didn't meet on Friday. He found me in between my anxiety attack after I quit Iris. He calmed me down and then he was at my gig on Friday and we got to talking and stuff—he needed a date for an event and I wanted one for today. It is a one-time thing."

"You convinced the Callahan Sinclair to come as a date for my dinner." Laavanya was amazed. "That's quite a feat of achievement, Syd. Now give us details."

"Well..."

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

19.6K 1.3K 11
[ONC 2023 SHORTLISTER] Prompt 63: A rivalry between two coworkers has unforeseen consequences. *** Down on her luck with a string of 12 unfateful hea...
44.2K 4.6K 56
Amelia Allen feels stuck. To an outsider, her life must look beautiful. She has a steady job, a relationship, and several years of her twenties left...
46.8K 1.4K 26
❝ I am your queen and you are my king. This marriage is our kingdom and I will not allow another take my crown. Do you understand me, dear husband?❞ ...
104K 4.1K 55
IMPORTANT: The story contains lots of swooning moments, funny insults, chaotic and HOT situations, staring contests with a couple of intense blue eye...