Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 107

1.2K 102 57
By NebulusCharlie

20.00 pm Sunday evening

An hour had passed by.

Wei Ying was sleeping in his arms, tired out and knackered, and probably would stay that way for a while, at least until tomorrow morning.

Lan Zhan had no excuse not to leave the king-sized bed.

Except…that he didn't want to.

The trauma of the past twenty four hours was still ripe in his head, and even though he could see Wei Ying was right here, could touch Wei Ying, feel his warmth here in Lan Zhan’s arms, his mind kept telling him that it was just a dream. If Lan Zhan made the mistake of taking his eyes away from this beautiful sleeping god, then Wei Ying would disappear like the morning dew in the light of the sun.

Lan Zhan breathed in the heavenly scent that seemed to follow Wei Ying wherever he went, a mouthwatering vanilla tinged floral fragrance that sent pictures to his mind of lotus flowers floating on gorgeous lakes, lily pads rippling on the surface and the blue, blue sky, of sharp, hot sunlight glittering on the currents of the waters making them seem alive.

He could do this, he told himself harshly, taking in one extra, sweet, long breath of the tantalising scent, and forced himself to rise.

Wei Ying was too deeply asleep to notice so it didn't matter, and Lan Zhan promised himself that he would be quick.

Another deep breath and then he pulled out his phone.

XiChen was with Uncle and the children so it made sense to call him first. With any luck, Lan Zhan could talk to all of them.

It was the children he was most worried about.

They, and especially A-Yuan, were more perceptive than normal children. Both of them had suffered with the disappearance of their parents, albeit at different times in their lives, and the psychological damage that must have influenced this trait was clear in each. From the way JingYi pretended to be happy most of the time, but there were moments when he would be lost in thought, and invariably be watching A-Yuan and his interactions with Wei Ying, a longing expression on his face, that Lan Zhan was most concerned about.

It would take time to make him understand that this family was real, and his, if he wanted it. There would be no violence here, physical or mental, and JingYi would learn what it was like to be loved unconditionally, as was the right of every single child born on this earth.

A-Yuan too, let his anxiety slip when he hugged for too long. He wanted to keep a hold of the ones he loved lest they be wrenched away from him, and being such a little person, he could only watch it happen, and do nothing to stop it.

Wei Ying’s steady presence in his life gave him a stability that no child should have to doubt, and it must have taken him a long time to understand that Wei Ying wasn't going to give up on him, or let him go.

Lan Zhan’s observations of A-Yuan being lonely were validated because of the change in his behaviour ever since A-Yi came to live with them. A-Yuan's smile was becoming brighter daily, and his silver eyes were that much more sparkling.

It was a lovely development to witness this adjustment in real time.

Their casual acceptance of all four beings as a family unit was gladdening to him, that they accepted Lan Zhan as one of them.

In this family, Lan Zhan belonged. He was part of a family that didn't see him as being any different to them, and together with Wei Ying, they were the core that held each other and their kids close.

As such, and while Wei Ying was in no position to do anything, it fell to Lan Zhan as the other half of them to give reassurance to their family that everything was alright now.

"Hello, Didi?" XiChen's voice was like putting yoghurt on a burn.

"Xiongzhang…is everything alright where you are? What's the situation?" Lan Zhan says, feeling a little out of his depth.

"Ah…Da Tuzi must have told you." XiChen went on to explain that the first light of day had brought about a gruesome beginning.

Hundreds of vampires had attacked the Lan Manor overnight and in the early hours of the new day, only to be repelled by the strange but welcome insignia of their clan. And he had a new appreciation of the cloud logo, which had miraculously protected them.

Cangse Sanren's gift to be able to see into the future was truly priceless, and credit to the amazing woman that she was, because she had seen the dangers that were going to happen to them, and done something about it.

XiChen told him that the staff would not let any of them help clean up the mess that was left on the gates outside and along the path that wound towards the building itself. MingJue had been frustrated and gone out to help anyway, while XiChen helped Uncle keep their little charges occupied.

"How are the children holding up?" Lan Zhan asks, feeling thankful all over again.

His fortuitous meeting with Wei Ying has led to all kinds of salvation.

"JingYi decided to hold a marathon of Disney movies." XiChen sounds tired.

"How many have you watched?"

"Just the one. He wants to see if we can break the world record of most watched in a single day on repeat. It's the Lion King, and if I hear Hakuna Matata, one more time-" XiChen catches himself from swearing out loud.

Lan Zhan huffs in amusement.

That little boy was just so uniquely weird. And wonderful.

"Didi, are you alright, though?"

His gentle tone and the question itself brings Lan Zhan the awful reminder of his kidnapping.

"It will pass." Lan Zhan makes himself sound honest, but truthfully, these words sound hollow even to his sharp ears.

"You know I am here for you. No matter what it is, if you want to talk about it."

"Thank you, Xiongzhang. I will let you know," Lan Zhan tells him, backing away from this conversation.

"Uncle wants a word." XiChen lets him get away with it, though Lan Zhan knows it's just a matter of time.

"WangJi."

His Uncle's voice is stern still, and it's only the one word, and yet Lan Zhan knows what he is asking him.

"We are safe, Shifu. Wei Ying is resting now, because he stayed awake too long. As soon as he wakes up, we will come home."

"Very well. Would you like to speak with the children?"

"Mn."

"It's on Speaker."

"Zhan Gege," Lan Zhan hears his brother telling them.

There are excited whispers and then suddenly, louder, cheers of "Zhan Gege! Are you coming home now? Where's Baba?"

The first question was JingYi and the second one came from A-Yuan.

"He's right here, next to me, A-Yuan, please don't worry. He's asleep because he had to stay awake for the whole night and most of the day, today." Lan Zhan wants to be as honest as he can, but he's well aware that he's talking to very young children.

There's only so much he can say, and it's best if he can stick as closely to the truth as possible because if there's anything he has learned, it's that children are the first to spot a lie. Plus as his mother said, one must lead by example.

"As for your other question, we will come home as soon as he is awake. It may be later tomorrow morning."

That was apparently the wrong thing to say, because JingYi becomes extremely anxious and Lan Zhan hears the fear in A-Yuan's questions.

"What about school?"

"Who will come with us? We don't want to go alone!"

"What if we don't go?" That was JingYi.

There's a scandalised gasp from A-Yuan.

"Actually, that's a great idea." Lan Zhan surprised himself by saying that, and he had to quickly interject before the children worked themselves into a frenzied panic.

He had forgotten it was Monday tomorrow.

While he and now Wei Ying had no other obligations to fulfil, the children would expect their routine to continue.

"What? Are we seriously going to bunk off school?" JingYi sounds way too pleased about this, and Lan Zhan suspects it's because it was his idea.

"It's extenuating circumstances. I am sure your father wants to see you both as soon as possible, and he won't be able to wait until after school. It makes the best sense to have you stay at home with Uncle Qiren. What do you think?"

The children ponder this for a while, and Lan Zhan catches a few whispers.

"Are we doing something naughty?" A-Yuan's question catches him off guard, and Lan Zhan answers yes, without thinking.

"But then are we going to get into trouble?" JingYi wants to know.

"All three of us?" A-Yuan asks, doubtfully.

"If anyone should, it would be him. In trouble." JingYi quickly adds that in.

"Why?" Lan Zhan has to ask in this crack-filled conversation.

He's barely given a chance to speak in between their bizarrely commonsensical ramblings.

"It might have been my idea, but YOU'RE the adult that said yes." JingYi says with all the authority of a cop who has caught a criminal red-handed.

Lan Zhan’s sharp ears catch muffled laughter in the background.

And much to his chagrin, neither of the other two adults in the room are helping.

"What do you want?" He asks the kids wearily, who are too sharp for their own good. They're going to make him pay. And worse, he can't even tell Wei Ying what little con-artists they're raising.

"Model number 75192-1: Millennium Falcon or the 75313-1 AT-AT, either is looking good right now," A-Yuan says straight away, and Lan Zhan knows he's been played.

"Okay." His lips do the talking against his will, and Lan Zhan has to wonder if either of the kids have the Compelling thing down pat.

"You're right, that was easy!" JingYi says, a little too loud, and then there's the sound of an obvious high five being shared.

"But Zhan Gege, really, we can see you both tomorrow, right?" The last word wobbles, and Lan Zhan knows it's not a lie.

The children might be playing games, but it is only a facade, a make-believe idea to let themselves not worry.

"Yes. I promise." Lan Zhan says it firmly so they will not doubt it. "Can you both please be brave for me? Just a little while longer? I am passing on our hugs through your Uncle XiChen."

"Okay, but what kind of a hug is that?" A-Yuan sounds uncertain.

"It is a virtual one. Seventy five percent of a hug in person," he tells them. "It is to keep you safe until we see you both tomorrow."

"Oh, you don't have to worry about us, Zhan Gege!" JingYi tells him with too much enthusiasm. "There's another uncle here and he's built like a Tesla tank! He has really big muscles, like unbelievable big ones, and he can carry both A-Yuan and me TOGETHER! So tall, so strong!" JingYi gushes, oblivious to Lan Zhan’s growing annoyance.

"I can carry both of you," he says before he can stop himself.

There's more muffled laughter in the background. And definitely two adults whispering.

"Yeah but he does zoomies. It's like we ARE the plane!"

"That's nice." Lan Zhan replies stiffly, knowing it's a lost cause with children unless he can prove it in person.

XiChen tells them to say goodnight, and they chorus it together, before XiChen comes back on the line.

"Good night, Didi. Rest well, and don't worry about the little ones. Uncle says we can learn something at home with them. We'll see you tomorrow, then."

"Mn."

And they end the call.

*************

Wei Ying was in a sleepy haze of conscious unconsciousness, that place in between waking up fully and still in a dreamy, surreal state. He was vaguely aware of being lifted up, and the warmth that he was huddled against as if someone was taking care not to wake him, and it was the loveliest feeling. Enough so that he battled against his own brain who wanted to know what was going on.

Being encouraged to use the bathroom, washing his hands…all of it was a blur and he remembers coming outside of the bathroom and being lifted into a warm embrace once again.

A persistent cool glass held against his lips and as Wei Ying whines that he's not thirsty, when in fact he's parched, he chugs it down like a champ and falls asleep once more.

Many hours later he finally stirs awake.

It's a gentle, comforting feeling, waking up in Lan Zhan’s arms.

The first thing Wei Ying notices is the fragrance of Sandalwood.

Simultaneously clean, fresh and spicy, it was delicious in the most wholesome way. The whisper of dark promises hidden under the surface of something so intrinsically good, so right, and the combination was delectable.

Lan Zhan is here.

The thought is like injecting adrenaline directly into his heart, and Wei Ying wakes up with a jolt of alertness.

"Lan Zhan! Are you alright?" His hands are already checking Lan Zhan for injuries, making sure he isn't hurt in any way. "Did I really fall asleep?" He looks hurt at that.

Lan Zhan’s response is to roll them over, a power move so that Wei Ying is pinned underneath him, the weight of pure muscle able to hold him down.

"I am fine. More than fine," he amends, looking deeply into brilliant silver eyes now worried. "Wei Ying took care of me last night."

"Last night? Then what time is it now? Oh my God, the kids-"

It was too much, these racing thoughts that didn't leave a long enough gap in between being voiced for Lan Zhan to explain, not even a single word.

So he stopped that mouth from talking with his own lips, knowing that Wei Ying’s weakness was the same as his own, in this.

The yelp of surprise was swallowed up in waves of intense pleasure, one rolling into another as Lan Zhan ravished his mouth slowly, taking his sweet time to show Wei Ying how he is loved.

Those warm lips still plump with sleep, open willingly, invitingly as Wei Ying wraps his arms around Lan Zhan’s neck, holding him in place as he answers each lick of that dangerous tongue. Each taste reminds him that they're together, and they're both safe. It's the reassurance they both need, to recharge their WangXian batteries once more.

It's only when Wei Ying needs to breathe, that Lan Zhan lets his mouth go to feast upon his neck, and the delightfully soft skin just under his jaw, absorbing the responding shiver with a smug satisfaction.

He made Wei Ying look like this.

Dazed and well-kissed, relaxed enough to wait, because it's only now his mind is catching up to his surroundings. His stormy eyes are calm like moonlight resting on ocean waves, reflecting the stars.

"You wouldn't be here if anything was wrong," Wei Ying correctly guessed, nuzzling closer. "Sorry, I panicked."

Lan Zhan settles on his side, bringing Wei Ying that much closer to him."It is just after nine in the morning, and the children are waiting for us at the Lan Manor with Uncle and Xiongzhang, and Nie MingJue. They are not going to school today because of extenuating circumstances." He doesn't bother to elaborate on that, rather sheepishly.

What Wei Ying doesn't know, won't hurt him.

They are quiet for a few moments, letting this new calmness sweeten the passing minutes.

"It's really over, isn't it?" Wei Ying whispers against his neck.

"Mn."

"I can't believe we thought it was Wen Chao who turned you, all this time." Wei Ying lets his lips kiss that bare, pale skin. Softly, a barely there kind of kiss like a butterfly's wings. "When it was Wen Zhong all along. How are you feeling about that? Are you glad he's dead?"

It was time to open that box and confront his feelings.

"I am not sure what to feel," he says in a low voice.

"That's okay, there's no rush." Wei Ying tells him, tracing soft circles on the back of his arms that are wrapped tightly around him.

It feels as if Lan Zhan is scared to let him go, and Wei Ying completely understands this now. He too, wants to keep touching Lan Zhan in whatever small way he can, just to give himself peace that Lan Zhan is safe now.

"He can't ever hurt you again," Wei Ying adds, quietly.

"I feel empty. He's dead and the closest emotion I have is relief." Lan Zhan murmurs.

"It's okay, Sweetheart. Don't think about it too much, if you don't want to. You can give yourself space and time to heal, there's no time limit."

This time, the kiss is deeper, more meaningful in its care and compassion. Wei Ying leaves little kisses all over his beautiful face, and then he suddenly blushes.

His blood smells A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

"Mn?"

Wei Ying hides his face in the curve of Lan Zhan’s shoulder.

"I remembered when I first saw you. I didn't let JieJie touch you, and she all but accused me of wanting to shag you."

"Shag me?" Lan Zhan asks for clarification.

"Papapa."

Lan Zhan is very much pleased by this.

"Really?"

"Oh, come on! Don't make me go into details!" He wails, screwing his eyes shut. "It's just that I saw these and made a comment, though it was in a hundred percent appreciation and less of the ogling." His hand fluttered between them and caressed Lan Zhan’s hard abs.

"We are to marry. Wei Ying can "appreciate" all he wants to." Lan Zhan kissed the top of his head, already feeling so much better.

With Wei Ying, there was never any pressure to do something, and being given the gift of time took away the stress of having to deal with something that made him uncomfortable.

Now, gentle waves of love washed over him, making Lan Zhan’s whole body relax, as thoughts of being loved filled his conscious mind. He felt the kind of warmth that wasn't related to a temperature, just the best feeling of being looked after and cared for.

It was wonderful.

And Lan Zhan knew that Wei Ying was responsible for it.

"Thank you," he breathes out, feeling better and better. "This gift of yours, it is-"

"Dangerous," Wei Ying finishes for him, and all that good stuff evaporates in a sour smell.

Lan Zhan hugs him tighter suddenly, wanting to comfort him back.

Something must have happened to Wei Ying, during the time they were apart.

"Why?" He asks gently, keeping his voice level. "Tell me?"

"I did something bad, my love."

The confession hits him hard, and Lan Zhan refuses to believe it. He sits up now, arranging Wei Ying more comfortably in his lap.

"Please explain?"

Wei Ying’s arms wrap around him, pressing himself closer. This near, Lan Zhan can feel his strong heartbeat, almost as if it was his own. This craving to be closer, all the time, was healing parts of himself that he didn't know were damaged, and he sensed it was the same for Wei Ying too, apart from this new turmoil his mind was in.

"Whatever it is, Wei Ying should know without a doubt that it will not change anything between us. I love you, my Wei Ying." Lan Zhan says, firmly, hoping that Wei Ying will understand and believe his conviction. He brings his lips to rest upon Wei Ying’s forehead, kissing the soft skin.

It gives Wei Ying the courage to continue.

"Okay, you remember that guy, the one in the yellow suit?"

"Jin ZiXun?"

"Yeah, I kind of forgot his name." Wei Ying sighs. "But that's no excuse. I did something bad to him." He takes a few breaths, mostly to delay talking about it, and to organise his thoughts. "My grandmother…she has another floor, deep down in her building." He looks around, thinking. "That's where we are, right? My grandmother's place?"

"Mn."

"Well, you know, this was a stroke of genius." Wei Ying lifts up his wrist so that Lan Zhan can see his bunny bracelet with the tracker. "Mo XuanYu was tracking you, and I…I guess I was being impatient. So my grandmother brought me down to where Uncle XingChen was, and that Jin guy. She had him lying down over an array that glowed every time he felt pain, she said it amplified it back to him, tenfold." Wei Ying shivered at the memory. He didn't want to remember this, discovering the dark side of himself, and then worse, having to reveal it to Lan Zhan.

"Mn." Lan Zhan says this after a while, because it's clear that Wei Ying has gotten lost in his thoughts.

"Ah, yeah, so she told us to speed it up, that we wanted to know how much he knew about the Wens and if he could tell us anything useful about where they had taken you. Although I reckon she was saying that more to terrify him than for us. Um, so anyway, I've never done that sort of thing before," he shakes his head in disbelief. "I don't know what came over me."

Lan Zhan’s hands are splayed across his back and now he's started moving them rhythmically, casual slow circles intending to soothe him. Encouraging Wei Ying to expunge this memory from his mind so he can begin to heal from this experience as well.

"Luckily, he was cooperative. He said that last night there was a full moon, and that Wen Rouhan and Wen Zhong were planning something. That's why they took you, something about your venom, and they wanted to test you." Wei Ying’s eyes flicker with a red tinge, protection towards Lan Zhan bursting out of him automatically.

"They wanted to drain me." Lan Zhan tells him, and then regrets it because Wei Ying goes pale.

"What happened to you, my love?" His whisper is chilled, like frosty breath on wintery mornings.

Lan Zhan remembered his disgust at Wen Zhong touching him.

He shivered with it, still feeling ghostly talons scraping at his stomach. But if he wants Wei Ying to heal from his trauma, then the same medicine must be applied to himself. So he strengthens his resolve and tells Wei Ying everything that happened to him, all about his injuries and how he got them, until Wei Ying cured him in that cell.

"I wish Wen Chao and Wen Xu were alive," he says at the end, surprising Lan Zhan once more.

"Why?"

"So I could kill them all over again, for daring to think they could touch you." This time, his eyes stay red.

Lan Zhan cannot help himself.

If Wei Ying is an incandescent flame of white light, then Lan Zhan is the moth ready to sacrifice himself willingly, to throw himself into it and burn with him.

Their lips meet in a frenzy of passion, no sweet licks here, but for the violent dance of hot mouths, eager lips, and a fight for dominance. The bites are a need for more, to taste and be tasted, to share one another in this haze of love.

Lan Zhan pushes Wei Ying down, and with one swipe of his talons, Wei Ying opens up like a gift waiting to be ravished, enjoyed and worshipped.

Lan Zhan’s mouth does all the work, leaving his body with blooming flowers, bruises from kisses that disappear faster than he can make them, a canvas of fleeting art that has Wei Ying writhing under his body with flaming desire.

"Take me!" He moans, eyes half shut in glory.

And Lan Zhan does not need to be told twice.

**************

Later, a good while later, after they have showered, Wei Ying comes out of the bathroom and climbs into Lan Zhan’s lap, holding him close.

He's warm and safe and so much more relaxed.

But Lan Zhan knows he wants to get something off his chest.

"Wei Ying never finished telling me. About Jin ZiXun," he clarifies.

It is unnecessary, because Wei Ying was already going to. He takes a deep breath and goes for it.

"All I could see was needles, and you know how much I hate them. I thought of you, and my mind was showing me the worst images and I was … I couldn't take it. I thought of all the things I was going to do to the bastards who had taken you, rip them limb from limb, because how dare they think they can touch you? And then, the next thing I know, Uncle XingChen is shaking me out of my thoughts, and I look at that Jin guy and he's in a bad way." Wei Ying makes himself tell Lan Zhan in detail about his condition. "Uncle XingChen said the array amplified my thoughts and made him feel every ounce of pain I was going to inflict on our enemies. God, I felt so bad." He shudders with the memory, remembering how his uncle had taken him to the adjacent room to recover. "Uncle XingChen said I projected my thoughts onto him and it was worse because of the array. He asked me if I had ever done that to anyone else."

"Of course not!" Lan Zhan defends him, with absolute determination. "Wei Ying is a good person."

"But Lan Zhan, I'm not! I wasn't…then. Not in that room where I almost killed a man, and God! It was so easy! If Uncle hadn't stopped me, I'm sure that Jin something would have died!" Tears leak from his beautiful eyes as Wei Ying tries to blink them away. "And the thing is, I DID do it to someone!"

"Who?" Lan Zhan demands, just as fiercely. He wasn't going to accept any criticism about Wei Ying, not even if it came from the man himself. He was just going to have to make Wei Ying see the truth.

"You! And my Grandmother!"

"When?"

"Don't you remember, my love? I did it to you twice, when I made you feel good. And my grandmother, when I wanted her to feel happy." Wei Ying sounds utterly miserable. "I'm dangerous." He wipes away at his now puffy eyes, but it's a useless gesture because only more tears fall.

"Yes, Wei Ying is dangerous, but only to bad people." Lan Zhan hugs him tighter, wanting him to feel his thoughts even harder. "Those were extenuating circumstances." He loves those two words together now.

"That's no excuse!"

"I'm not making any. Wei Ying must hear me out." It's a request but it borders on a demand. Lan Zhan is careful about using his own gift. And then he gets another idea, a brighter one that makes sense of all this. "Do you think my ability to Compel people has transferred through my venom in your system so that you can do it too? Only yours is empathy, the ability to make people feel what you are feeling?"

"I don't know…"

But he's thinking about it.

"I believe it is so. Baoshan Sanren has already uncovered medical proof," he enunciated that bit, "that my venom is curing your cancer, right?" He waits for Wei Ying to nod. "So then, it stands to reason that my venom wants to protect you as much as I do. With me so far?"

Wei Ying smiles and nods, hesitantly this time.

"So is it such a far leap that it would give you that ability? The companion to Compulsion, if I can make anyone do anything I want to, in you, it manifests as the ability to make others feel what you feel. And it is a gift, no matter what Wei Ying feels about it now. Like any other, surely training and practice will make Wei Ying able to wield it with better control." Lan Zhan gives him an enthusiastic kiss, delighted that he's right.

Wei Ying’s surprised lips open with wonder, drinking him in.

He's more shocked that not only has Lan Zhan accepted him, even all the dark parts of his personality, but found a plausible reason why it was happening. His relief makes this kiss even sweeter, like concentrated honey.

"You could be right," he says, when his mouth is free.

But Lan Zhan isn't done with it yet.

"I am right." He lifts up Wei Ying’s chin so that he has no choice but to look into Lan Zhan’s eyes and see the truth shining from those golden orbs. "Wei Ying cannot blame himself for that situation. He was under immense pressure to act, and the situation was one in a million, never to be repeated in the same way. It will never happen again."

"But-"

Lan Zhan’s finger lands on his lips, silencing his protest.

"One incident does not change Wei Ying, or who he is. The fact that you're regretting it so much, is proof that Wei Ying is not a cruel being. It already means that Wei Ying is not heartless, is in fact, very much the total opposite of that." At his confused look, Lan Zhan continues. "Wei Ying cares. Wei Ying was protecting what was his. No other reason."

Wei Ying’s warm hand rises to cover Lan Zhan’s finger, kissing it before bringing it down.

"But don't you see, Sweetheart? I could hurt people! I could hurt you!"

"No. I do not believe it. Wei Ying could never, ever hurt me. I trust Wei Ying. The man I love would never hurt anyone without just cause. The man I love is Wei Ying, and he is kind, he is caring and he is protective. A great father, and an even better husband."

Wei Ying laughs through his tears.

Lan Zhan’s sincere, heartfelt words have pierced through his doubts and fears. He trusts Wei Ying so, so much that Wei Ying is helpless in that. He can do nothing else except follow.

"We're not married. Yet." He adds, mischievously.

Lan Zhan kisses away his tears gently, his lips lingering at the soft fragrant skin.

"In here, we are." He lifts his big palm to rest upon Wei Ying’s chest, exactly where his heart begins to beat faster. "In my mind, we are already married, because I would rather die than be parted from you. In my mind, we will always be together."

This time, it is Wei Ying who seeks his mouth out, a kiss to level all others.

A kiss to prove it, that he's on board, on this new journey that they are going to travel together.

One step at a time.

*********

A/N

Dear Beautiful Readers,

I didn't even know this chapter was lurking in my head, and half of it was written down before I realised that I didn't have to post it. The other half was written this morning and I thought, why not? It's just under 5.5 K so I'm quite proud of that.

The last gift before I begin my proper holiday tomorrow.

Have lots and lots of chocolate while you wait for more because this story is far from over. For those of you waiting for updates on book 9, I promise I'll reread it and write for that one as well. In the meantime, my ideas book has expanded onto its third version and I really wanna start writing the rock star one, but all in good time…

Happy Tuesday, Folks and see you soon!

Charlie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 7.9K 33
WARNING: This story has spoilers for the show, Novel, And spinoff movie The Living Dead. A/N: I might chance character's personalities (specificall...
2.7K 172 15
After the death of his soulmate. lan wangji wanted to follow him but he changed his mind when an immortal told him something and he continued to live...
28.9K 1.1K 21
What if Lan Wangji suffered in Wei Wuxian's stead?
92.9K 4K 34
A Story in which Lan Wangji went back to the Burial Mounds to visit Wei Wuxian only to find the Dafan Wens Cottages burned down. Coming back to the C...