Arcadian

By Elijahtheshagger

Arcadian (adj.) idyllically innocent; simple and untroubled by fear or worry. Harper Flores is the human embo... More

Characters and setting <3
Playlist
The error
The new girl
The comment
The storm
Walking dead girl
The competition
Free fall
Nurse's office
The mystery
The detention
The creep
The party
Guilt
Moonlight on the river
Family dinner
The campfire
Betrayal
The disappearance
Life and death
Eat
Denial
Holiday
Girlfriend
The L word
The festival
The birds and the bees
Alone
Birthday
Mama
Rescue
Epilogue
Sequel
New book

Awake

115K 2.4K 1.4K
By Elijahtheshagger

I gently grasp Harper's hand, softly rubbing circles into it with my thumb as the nurse performs her routine tests on Harper's unconscious body.

I remember back when we first met she revealed to me in one of her rambles that she's deathly afraid of needles so I try my best to comfort her on the off chance that she's aware of what's happening right now.

She's been in a medically induced coma for the past five days, the doctors wanted to give her body time to heal because there was a high chance she would have experienced multi organ failure.

At first they were convinced she wasn't going to make it, she suffered from serve hypothermia and the doctors discovered that she most likely collapsed due to malnutrition but Harper pulled through.

Today they're attempting to wake her up and remove her oxygen supply, giving her the opportunity to breathe on her own. 

It could go one of two ways, she could wake up with little to no complications or she might not be able to breathe on her own, meaning the doctors may have to consider taking her off life support.

I refuse to let the second option happen, Harper will wake up. She has to.

The second she opens them eyes I'm going to do anything in my power to get her to forgive me, even if that means literally begging on my knees.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by the feeling of a hand resting on my shoulder, I turn and come face to face with my mum.

"Any luck?" I ask hopefully. She shakes her head solemnly.

My mum flew in as soon as I told her what happened, my dad wanted to as well but he had business to take care of back home and couldn't come on such short notice. 

Nobody could get ahold of Harper's mum until two days after she was admitted into the hospital. She finally picked up and when we told her what had happened she didn't seem concerned at all, telling us she couldn't be here because she's on holiday in Paris.

I cursed her out, realising that she really didn't give a shit about Harper at all but once I found out Harper was going to be woken up I swallowed my pride and asked my mum to try and contact her again, thinking it'll offer Harper some comfort to wake up and see her mother there.

Consider my mum's agitated mood I'm guessing she's not here like she promised to be.

"Alright are we ready," The nurse says cheerfully, preparing to remove Harper's breathing tubes.

"Emi wake up," My mum shakes Emilio who's sleeping on the tiny sofa in the corner. 

We haven't left the hospital since it happened, we're hours away from the academy so I've been too scared to leave her incase something happens while we're away.

The rest of the boys had to return though, their parents wanting them back in the safety of the school which obviously didn't go down well. Miles was dragged out practically kicking and screaming.

"There we go," The nurse says, removing the tube. We watch intensely in silence, breathing a sigh of relief when we see that Harper's chest in still moving up and down.

"We've stopped giving her the drugs that have kept her sedated so it's only a matter of time before she wakes," The nurse explains, packing up her equipment and exiting the room.

"This may take a while, maybe you should go freshen up and get changed," My mum suggests, looking up and down at my scruffy hair and the outfit I've been wearing for the past few days.

"No I want to be here," I reply, not taking my eyes off Harper's angelic face. "Lucian," My mum warns, letting me know that she was no longer asking.

I sigh, stretching out my numb legs that have been in the same position for the past five hours before standing up and grabbing the folded clothes my mum left on the table.

I head to the bathroom, walking past the hoards of flowers and teddy bears that rest on any available surface in Harper's room.

I shower as quickly as humanly possible, terrified to be away from Harper.

I rush out of the bathroom, receiving strange looks from my mum and Emilio who are just calmly scrolling through their phones as Harper lays exactly how I left her.

I sigh in relief as I return to the arm chair next to her bed, retaking her hand in mine. "Come on it's late, let's get some food," My mum says, beckoning us to get up. 

"Just bring me something back please," I yawn. "Come on man, stretch your legs," Emilio says, now standing up. I shake my head before lying it on Harper's bed, being careful not to accidentally hurt her in anyway.

My mum sighs, sensing that there's no way to change my mind and closes the door behind her and Emilio.

I look up at Harper, struggling to keep my eyes open as the days of sleep deprivation start to slowly catch up on me.

I need to wait for her to wake up, if I fall asleep and she stops breathing I'll never forgive myself. The only thing keeping me sane right now is Harper's face. She looks utterly peaceful, like she's having the most tranquil dream. 

She doesn't deserve this, she doesn't deserve to be here hooked up on wires when she should be out enjoying her life. It hurts to think that there's still a chance she may never wake up.

In a moment of desperation I do something I've never done before, I pray.

The sound of beeping annoyingly repeats for hours on end as I desperately try to pry open my eyes. 

I put all my power into pulling them open, only to immediately clamp them shut again when the blinding bright light above me shines directly into them.

Wanting to rub my stinging eyes, I try to lift my achey arms but I'm unable to move them. I wait for a moment before attempting to squint my eyes open again.

I'm met with the sight of a bright white hospital room with flowers and presents scattered around it. I look down and see Lucian fast asleep with half his body hanging off a chair and the other half resting on my bed. 

He looks exhausted, his hair is messy and prominent dark circles are displayed under his eyes.

My attention is drawn to my arms which are wrapped in bandages with numerous needles and tubes sticking out of it.

What the hell happened to me?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

675K 15.2K 38
From the outside Juliet Kingston seems to have the perfect life. She has popularity, beauty and a famous dad who seemingly spoils her rotten. But nob...
2.8K 329 37
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐲 𝐋𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐬𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐳: A world where super natural kids are taken from their parents and pu...
58K 2K 48
"But he who dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose" *** ExTrAcT "We're role-playing Sunshine, think...
152K 4.8K 79
𝗧𝗮𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗹 & 𝗛𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘄𝗮𝘆 'Poor little soul.' A pure, innocent soul forced to face the harsh realities they said. A so...