Everblue

بواسطة BrendaPandos

What do you do when your secret crush isn't human? Seventeen-year-old Ashlyn Lanski is tired of her boring, s... المزيد

Chapter 1 - Ash
Chapter 2 - Fin
Chapter 3 - Ash
Chapter 4 - Fin
Chapter 5 - Ash
Chapter 6 - Fin
Chapter 8 - Ash
Chapter 9 - Ash
Chapter 10 - Fin
Chapter 11 - Ash
Chapter 12 - Fin
Chapter 13 - Ash
Chapter 14 - Fin
Chapter 15 - Ash
Chapter 16 - Fin
Chapter 17 - Ash
Chapter 18 - Fin
Chapter 19 - Ash
Chapter 20 - Fin
Chapter 21 - Ash
Chapter 22 - Ash
Chapter 23 - Fin
Chapter 24 - Ash
Chapter 25 - Fin
Chapter 26 - Ash
Chapter 27 - Fin
Chapter 28 - Ash
Chapter 29 - Fin
Chapter 30 - Ash
Chapter 31 - Fin
Chapter 32 - Ash
Chapter 33 - Fin
Chapter 34 - Ash
Chapter 35 - Fin
Chapter 36 - Ash
Chapter 37 - Fin
Chapter 38 - Ash
Chapter 39 - Fin
Chapter 40 - Ash
Chapter 41 - Fin
Chapter 42 - Ash
Chapter 43 - Fin
Chapter 44 - Ash
Chapter 45 - Fin
Chapter 46 - Ash
Chapter 47 - Fin
Chapter 48 - Ash
Chapter 49 - Fin
Chapter 50 - Ash
Chapter 51 - Fin
Chapter 52 - Ash
Chapter 53 - Fin
Chapter 54 - Ash
Chapter 55 - Fin
Chapter 56 - Ash
Chapter 57 - Fin
Chapter 58 - Ash
Chapter 59 - Fin
Chapter 60

Chapter 7 - Ash

741 38 0
بواسطة BrendaPandos

ASH

As soon as practice was over, I went directly to the dance chairman and asked to be removed from the ballot. With a puzzled expression, he informed me voting had already begun. My time to decline needed to have happened when nominations took place in homeroom earlier in the week.

I'd been late to class Monday. Georgia insisted we talk to Coach Madsen after practice because someone stole her swimsuit out of her locker over the weekend—which she later found at home. The vote must have taken place then.

Colorful signs requesting support for Brooke and other candidates littered the halls and mocked me as I left his office. Whoever nominated me had played the worst joke ever and when I found out who, they'd get a piece of my mind. Even still, I wasn't attending.

Shivering from my wet hair, I jumped into Mom's car parked in the student parking lot and cranked on the heater. Work duties prevented her from picking me up as usual.

I zipped through town, anxious to talk to Tatchi. With a screech, I parked on the pier and briskly walked across the wooden railroad ties of the dock toward the life-sized cutout of Captain Jack, Tatchi's dad, propped next to the door. He and Fin would more than likely be on an excursion, showing tourists the bay. Oblivious of the closed sign, I yanked on the locked door with the wrath of a woman scorned, and hurt my arm.

 "What?" I mumbled as I looked through the plate-glass window into a darkened interior. "Where are they?"

Confused, I knocked hard against the glass, but there was no answer.

"Mom?" I asked, while walking into Gran's shop and dropping her keys on the counter. "Did they run any charters today at Captain Jack's?"

She looked up at me over her bifocals and took the pencil out of her mouth. "What?"

I pointed towards Captain Jack's. "Are they closed today?"

"Ummm. Are they?" She glanced behind me. "I don't know. Could you help me organize these?"

In a box at her feet were oodles of new T-shirts that said "Don't messy with Tessie." I pursed my lips. Last thing I wanted to do was fold shirts. I had to find Tatchi—quick. I'd go to her house if I had to; my life was at stake.

"I need to get home. I've got a lot of homework—"

"Ashlyn Frances. You can help me for fifteen minutes."

"Fine." I dumped my gym bag and marched over. "What do you want me to do?"

"That's my girl. I'll inventory the shirts and put them in piles. Tag a price on these, then hang them on that rack by size. The leftovers go in bins over here, folded."

Fifteen minutes, yeah, right.

"Mom, I'm only helping for a few minutes, and then I seriously have to go."

The pencil was back in her mouth and she was counting again. With a roll of my eyes, I started on the first stack.

After thirty minutes passed, I was still hanging shirts on hangers. It took all my self-control not to rip down the papier-mâché plesiosaur that hung over the top of the display.

This is all your fault, you know.

She stared back at me with empty black eyes. Tessie, the biggest hoax in history, was an invented monster to trap tourists into buying the kind of crap Gran sold. The dinosaur's picture covered everything: cups, hats, bottle openers, stuffed animals, postcards, calendars, key chains—you name it. And every week, Gran and Mom were thinking up new slogans and promotions to spin the fad. They even worked out a special "Tessie watching" charter with a free shirt if you saw the beast, which everyone did because there was a mini-golf dinosaur statue planted underwater.

Though I could have as many free T-shirts as I wanted, I wouldn't be caught dead in one with Tessie on it. As a kid, all my clothes came from the store anyhow. But now, the only Tahoe related apparel I wore said "Keep Tahoe Blue" or something more eco friendly.

When Mom finally left the room, I piled the shirts on the rack and shoved the rest in the bin. "Done, Mom. Bye."

The door chimed behind me, signaling my escape.

From there, I wasn't sure what to do. Half of me wanted to walk past Tatchi's house and the other dared not to. Either way, I was desperate to find her. Would she tell Fin later? Would he even care? Could I be so bold as to drop a hint that I wanted Fin to be my date?

My feet trekked down the rock trail and when I had to decide if I'd turn towards Tatchi's house, I chickened out and skittered towards the beach. It was safer to check there first.

At the beach, seagulls claimed the spot where we were yesterday. I sat on a pile driver and decided to wait. The sun melted from the sky over the mountains, painting a light show of blues and golds. I didn't know why I waited. She'd have been home by now anyway. Sunset was her curfew.

Frustrated and freezing, I grabbed my bag and headed home.

"Ash? Is that you?"

Dad popped his head out of the kitchen. Garlicky aroma from firehouse spaghetti blew past me, rekindling my hunger.

I blinked back at Dad in surprise. "You're home tonight?"

The caterpillar of fur on his upper lip formed a smile. "I decided to let some of the young bucks get an overtime shift tonight. I missed my girls." I walked over into his awaiting bear hug. He kissed me on the top of the head. "Is your mom with you?"

"She's buried under a new shipment."

"Sounds dangerous." He let go and went back to stirring his sauce. "Can you call her and see if she's clawed her way out? I'd like to eat together."

I slumped down at the kitchen table. Last thing I wanted to do was give Mom an opportunity to chew me out for bailing. "I just left the store and I'm sure she is right behind me," I fibbed.

"Perfect. So, how was your day?"

I chuckled. Absolutely ridiculous. "Fine."

"That doesn't sound like plain ol' fine to me." Dad winked before he tossed two half loaves of bread, slathered in garlic butter, into the oven.

"I don't know. Same old crap." I looked down at my fingernails, noticing they were in dire need of a manicure. "Just preparing for the big meet on Saturday."

"That's right. I'm going to be able to make that meet after all." Dad dusted his hands off on his jeans and parked next to me at the table.

"Really?" With his erratic fire-station schedule, he rarely made any of my swim meets.

"I'm home," Mom called from the back door. Her keys hit the countertop in the hall much louder than normal. My body tensed involuntarily. "Is Ashlyn home? I need to speak with her!"

"Ruh-roh," Dad whispered, giving me a raised eyebrow. "What did you do now?"

"Nothing." I batted my eyelashes innocently, then faltered under his questioning stare. "Just left early. She tried to rope me into doing the entire display."

"Go on then," he shooed me up the stairs. "I'll talk to her."

Behind me, I heard her complain I'd abandoned her and made a mess of all the shirts in the bins at the store, doubling her work. Dad soothed her frustration by pouring her a glass of wine. After a few minutes of griping, she settled down and their conversation became low mumbles. I tiptoed into my room.

Lying on my bed, I looked up at the glow-in-the-dark stars peeling off the ceiling. Tatchi's house had one solitary light illuminating the interior. The Jeep remained parked where it was the night before. My cell phone on my nightstand taunted me to call her and hang up if someone else answered.

Then, like magic, it rang.

I lunged for it.

"Tatchi? Where the heck have you been? You weren't at work today and I've been waiting to talk to you all day. Why was Jack's closed? I have to tell you what happened. I've been nominated for Senior Ball royalty. Can you believe it? Holy crawfish!"

"I know," said a low voice I didn't expect—one belonging to a guy.

My pulse quickened. "Who is this?"

"Callahan."

My breathing stopped, leaving both of us in silence.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

18.5K 817 27
Sydney Shoopman's world is changing fast. It has since she graduated high school over a few years ago. Her parents split on her. One wants her to go...
2.9K 396 172
At 15 years old, Kylie's life is spiraling after moving to Australia. She unsuspectingly morphs into a creature from a movie; is soon targeted by an...
102K 13.9K 155
Winner of Best New Story of the Year 2017. The Haven High Series: Book 1: Enlightened; Book 2: Addicted; Book 3: Despaired; Book 4: Protected; ...
681 92 13
[Spoilers for book one "Beyond The Sea" ahead!] After fleeing the world they once knew, an enamoured cop and a bewildered merman have only got each...