The Red Queen | Lucien Castle...

By SprintingFox

The Mikaelsons had been royalty in New Orleans, but the youngest among the group of apex predators didn't thi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Final Author's Note

Chapter 7

1.7K 86 27
By SprintingFox

She laid alone in bed.

It was too hot to wear the covers, but too cold to leave her feet uncovered. She tossed and turned, staring at the ceiling, wondering what sort of explosion the house would bear witness to when Tristan and Lucien were put into the same room for the first time in a thousand years to discuss their arrangement with her. To both be in a relationship with her.

"I don't see why you're worried," said Antonella over the phone. "I mean, come on, Lucien is much more passionate, he'll put up with anything. Tristan will be down-to-earth when you need it and will keep you both contained."

"That's exactly what I'm worried about," said Vivalda, fighting to make another small braid before she pinned her hair up. "Tristan might get annoyed by that and Lucien could just get under his skin and then, poof, it all goes up in flames. Maybe I shouldn't have been so selfish, trying to enjoy two people at the same time."

"Honey, after all that you've done to deny yourself love for a thousand years because you were thinking of your family's best interests, you get to be a little selfish. Plus, I don't see why you should limit yourself to one when you can have both. Provided these two don't kill each other."

"Exactly, what if I am putting them together and creating a ticking time bomb? Lucien's response was fine, but Tristan's is the one I'm worried about."

"There is one silver lining here. Well, maybe not a real silver lining, but the fact stands that you are stronger than them and if anyone attacks anyone else, you'll be able to handle it."

"And what comes after that? Do I just... make it known to the vampire world that we're together? The Strix are obviously gonna know, and so will you and my other close sirelings. But in a way, I make myself vulnerable. My siblings could find out and try to take them from me, or any enemies still laying around could recruit the help of a powerful witch and take them to get something out of me."

"Please, Vivi, that's why you have me! I find out about all the whispers and tell them to you so you can be prepared. You have handled every threat that has come your way. Hell, when someone says you can't do something, you do it just to prove you can and you excel at it. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. You've protected me for a thousand years, you gave me the means to be successful. The least I can do is tell you when I hear about some scheme. After all, anyone that comes for you comes for me."

Vivalda managed a smile. "Thank you, Toni."

"And if the problem is your siblings, we will end them. Not literally, but with the daggers. I have a couple of witches up my sleeve and Tristan and Lucien sure as hell have some up theirs. Anyone comes for you, we put them to sleep. They are done controlling you."

"This time, we will make it a reality," she huffed. "Okay, enough about me. I'm done with my rant. What's new on your end?"

"Well, new company branch, more designs, expanding into different fabrics imported from around the world. Your brother hit me up. I want to go back to college and–"

"Woah, woah, woah. You cannot just drop a bomb like that and expect me not to ask about it."

Antonella giggled. "Kol called me. Before you arrived, actually, he seemed to be on a plane himself. Said if I happen to be in Egypt next week, I should go and find him."

"Finally. Oh, that idiot has needed to just screw his head on right and ask you out properly for the longest time. The fool has found you attractive since I turned you and he just couldn't say anything."

"Probably at first because he thought you wouldn't want him to. And then he got distracted, lost his ability to be polite. No matter. We'll see what he has to offer."

"Do not go easy on him. If he wants to build any sort of relationship with you, make sure he is polite and respectful, that he goes the extra mile to make you comfortable and happy. He needs to put in some effort after screwing around so much in the past millennia."

"You needn't worry, I know my worth. I know I don't need your permission, but–?"

"Are you kidding? Go for it. I've wanted you two to give each other a try from the first time you expressed interest in 1403! If he knew how to be more of a gentleman and was less preoccupied with witches, this could have happened sooner."

"Well, I admit, I could have made my side of it a wee more obvious."

"Eh, make him figure it out on his own. He should put in some work every now and then. The witches are always throwing themselves at him. He needs to be humbled sometimes. Anyway, what would you study back in college?"

"Lucien inspired me to pursue the sciences. I was thinking, maybe I won't have to worry about where I import my fabrics if I just make them myself. And there is a lot to be known about them, like how well they cling to dyes. I've been a little bored lately. Designing is fun and I love putting on shows but I need more of a challenge. After a thousand years of making clothes for people, sometimes you just need to add a bit of flair. Plus, I'm a businesswoman now. A CEO. It's different than before when all I had going was being hired to make a specific already-planned dress and suit for some rich, snobby couple. This is more widespread and I need to adapt to it."

"If anyone can figure it out, it's you. Your ideas are good and the drive is there. Plus, you do have the benefit of being a thousand years old with unlimited resources."

"Exactly! In the bag. I'll tell you more later. I think my vampires finally all woke up from their neck-snap naps–" she must have tried to hang up and not managed it on the first try. "TOO SLOW! You may be newbies but you have to wake up faster than that!"

Vivalda smirked to herself, pressing the 'End Call' button. She finished fixing her hair and face, opting for a more casual outfit to avoid looking confrontational. Flame was left to sit nicely on her bed, and instead of any sort of armor, she'd opted to wear a dress in order to match Tristan and Lucien, who were both surely going to be wearing their Sunday best.

Aya had already prepared The Strix vampires for a repeat of the previous day's training, winking at Vivalda and mouthing 'good luck' as she walked out of the mansion and made for a car waiting outside. Tristan had chosen for them to meet at a bar in town, bought out so only the three of them and a compelled bartender would be inside.

Tristan was already there when she arrived, and he wasted no time in walking to her, escorting her from the door to their booth, and kissing her on both cheeks, whispering in her ear that she looked like a goddess.

Is it bad that I am intrigued by the idea of them competing for my attention today? I'm a horrible person.

"I trust Lucien has nearly arrived?" said Tristan, nodding to the bartender as he brought forth a tray of three Negronis to start out.

"I expect so," said Vivalda, scooting to the middle of the curved booth. "Last I heard, he'd landed, and that was before I arrived." She picked up her glass. "I take it everyone knows he's coming?"

Tristan smiled tightly. "Yes. They'll be nothing short of welcoming."

The door opened. Lucien walked in casually, sunglasses still over his eyes, a leather jacket over his black button-down. Vivalda wiggled her fingers at him, and he lifted his glasses just to wink.

"My darling," said Tristan, waving at Vivalda to get her attention as the bartender returned, this time with a bouquet of flowers.

"Ah, flowers for me," said Lucien sweetly. "You shouldn't have."

Tristan eyed Lucien, a thin-lipped smile on his face as he said, "The well-mannered bring a gift for their lady at dinner. I assume you brought... nothing?"

"Nothing but my deepest respect for you."

Vivalda cleared her throat, taking the bouquet. "Thank you, Tristan, they are beautiful." She set them under her nose and inhaled. "All native German flowers, yes?"

"Only the best for you, my dear."

Lucien pretended to yawn into his hand. "Well, now that we've finished with that, I trust you have a contract you wish for me to sign? After all, why else invite me here to settle the matter of us both having the affections of the most beautiful woman on the planet?" He took Vivalda's hand, kissing it.

"It's not a physical contract," said Vivalda. "Tristan told me last night that he'd like for us all to discuss terms. How this is going to work. And as I say this it sounds like I'm preparing a droll custody agreement."

Lucien let out a laugh, but Tristan only chuckled. "Well, simple," said Lucien, taking his Negroni and drinking. "You intend to stay here in Germany to train The Strix, yes? Well, my first company branch is in France. We're practically neighbors. Problem solved."

Tristan seemed to like this, because it implied Vivalda would be living with him the majority of the time. "Yes, indeed."

"However," said Lucien, dragging out the word just to piss him off, "that doesn't seem quite fair. I rather like it here. Quaint little town. I may look for a home here. And then, Vivalda could spend the day with you while she spends the night with me. After all, you'll be in bed by eight o'clock while she and I are having the greatest time at the numerous bars and clubs in the area."

The other man scoffed. "And of course your idea of entertaining a lady consists of dragging her to stuffy subpar establishments instead of proper, well-planned dates and actual conversation. You see, if you wish for an example on how to treat a woman, Lucien, you ought to take note that on that same night we both saw Vivalda, I spoke with her at great length and walked her back to the Mystic Falls border while you... were so drunk she had to get home on her own."

"Ah, the horror!" said Lucien.

"Both of you," sighed Vivalda, trying to contain a smile of amusement. "I enjoy each of you as you are." She put a hand on Lucien. "I adore how Lucien tailors to the more wild parts of me, how he makes me laugh until my side aches, how he can be as unhinged as I am. I do like parties. But I also like formal dates," she looped her arm with Tristan. "I love how we dance calmly, just the two of us, how we don't need anyone or anything else to have a good time together. Just a good topic of conversation and an agreement for honesty.

"It's what's made it impossible for me to choose only one. I simply cannot. Because Lucien, I do very much like you, but the timid and sensitive parts of you, you deny. And Tristan, you are wonderful, but you do not let yourself be spontaneous because you have a reputation to uphold. I understand it and it's what makes you both unique. I need and want you both to balance me out."

"Well, I have no problems with this," said Lucien. "I can share without problems."

"Can you, really?" said Tristan. "You've always been a jealous man, Lucien, you've always coveted what is not yours. Why, I believe the only reason you claimed to be so willing was to convince Vivalda that you are kind and accommodating and in reality, you make me appear the grump which I presume you wanted to use as a way to have her all to yourself."

"Oh, please, even if that were true, you would still be less inclined to share than I. In fact, I think you only agreed and demanded I come here because you, dear Tristan, are an elitist. You thought you'd invite me, someone you perceive as a savage, into a setting where you cannot help but seem better. The flowers, the Negronis, the suits. You wanted her to see us together, compare us, and you are betting I would screw something up so that Vivalda would think me too childish and choose you."

"It's painfully obvious how little you understand about relationships, how to be romantic and respectful. You see no problem in putting her in filthy situations and rubbing yourself all over her while I, dear Lucien, actually built a friendship with her and earned her respect instead of trying to get lucky."

"That's enough," said Vivalda, holding out her arms. "There is no reason we shouldn't be honest. Are either of you entirely okay with sharing?"

They both made a 'so-so' motion with their hands.

Vivalda sighed. "I admit, that is my fault. I cannot make a decision. And... I won't. Because I am selfish and want two things I cannot and should not have."

"We can tolerate it, love," spoke Lucien for the two of them. "We'd simply prefer not to. I say we have a probationary period. An equal split for a few months, to test how it works. Inevitably, whoever isn't alright with the arrangement will speak up and we'll have our real answer then."

"Or you will simply hold on for dear life and put in extra work to make yourself seem more civilized than you actually are," said Tristan sweetly.

"It is going to be challenging," said Vivalda awkwardly. "For this to work, for us all to have what we want, you two will need to overcome your dislike of one another and learn to at the very least have a grudging respect. But you ought to see that which is similar between us all! We all have anger issues and feel we need to prove ourselves. We are all incredibly strong, fast, and smart... we love to be ahead in the chess match against any opponent, we are charming and arrogant, and most of all, when it comes to an enemy, we all share that same diabolical mercilessness and viciousness that we enjoy. We're not so different."

Lucien jabbed a finger in Tristan's direction. "He got everything he has on a silver platter, he didn't work for it the way you and I did."

"And he," shot back Tristan, "will never really accept you as an equal, Vivalda, he will always want to be superior to you and in time, his true colors will emerge."

The drinks went flying as the two lunged at each other. Vivalda wasn't even sure who made the first move, all she knew was that Lucien had managed to pin Tristan down, punching him once across the face before Tristan was able to retaliate, throwing him off and springing up to kick him in the abdomen.

Vivalda sped between them, shoving them apart, one hand planted on Tristan's chest and her foot over Lucien's.

"I admit," said Lucien with a laugh, "it is very nice to be pinned under you, Vivalda."

Tristan motioned toward him, as if annoyed that Lucien immediately wanted to make sexual comments in a serious situation.

"You have a bad history, I know," said Vivalda, stepping away. "Tristan, you were very cruel to Lucien and you need to accept that he is upset that you used your superiority to hurt him when he didn't deserve it. Lucien, you have maintained a grudge– and I don't necessary blame you for this– but you have used it to repeatedly anger him instead of keeping the peace. Your sirelings all hate each other and you two have avoided sharing resources and focusing on the common goal of staying alive. You are both very mighty, we know this. It just manifests in different ways and that's fine. You need to stop trying to be better than each other. You have your individual qualities and it cannot be compared. There are things I like about both of you and I want to explore it all."

She reached back for what remained of her Negroni. "This last time I was daggered, something changed. You both came to a realization and we all sought each other out and learned that after a thousand years, we wanted more than a friendship or an alliance. I want to enjoy my freedom with you two. And I will swear to make it equal and fair and to value both your opinions and if this– if this isn't working, if sharing this becomes too much, then I swear to you I will step away and I will not entertain either of you."

Tristan wiped residual blood off the corner of his mouth. "Then," he said tightly, "Lucien's idea of a probationary period can be used. An equal split to test the waters. If it is not working... then we end it."

"That is fine with me," said Lucien. "As I said to you, love," he reached out to take Vivalda's hand so she could pull him to his feet, "I'd rather have a piece of you than nothing at all."

"And in the meantime," said Tristan, eyes flickering between them, "our sirelines know peace. The Strix will not interfere in your business so long as you do nothing to interfere with ours."

"Done. I'll even throw in a partnership. I've been developing more cures as of late. I believe I've finally cracked the code on an injection that would cure a wolf bite. I give you some doses... in exchange for antidote to The Strix's ring poison to add to my collection."

Tristan nodded. "Very well."

Vivalda was incredibly smug for the remainder of the day. Aya had nudged her in the ribs and raised a brow when she returned to the mansion grinning from ear-to-ear. She was in a fantastic mood as she tested the vampires individually with their sparring, and even Tristan seemed more chipper when he asked for a session in fencing.

"Aurora will be arriving here tomorrow," he said in the afternoon, just before she'd be heading to see Lucien. They were having lunch on a boat, right in the middle of one of Erfurt's lakes. "She is eager to see you."

"It will be good to see her, too," said Vivalda. "Oh–" she smiled as he handed her another flower, small enough that she was able to weave it into one of her braids. "Thank you."

"All I want," he murmured, "is for you to be happy. However it needs to happen."

"I want the same thing for you, Tristan. And for him. We've all suffered in one way or another. And a lot of what you two went through was my family's fault. I can never undo it, never even hope to make up for it. All I know is that I've gotten to know you two more and I have come to care about you both. We've all earned some happiness. I want to provide that for you. I want to explore it with you."

He leaned closer. "Vivalda, if I may..." He took her hands, "I swear to you that you will be protected. The Strix will always support you and I will not let your siblings take you from me again. I will do everything to put a smile on your face, to cherish you as the Queen you are. Always, my darling."

"Thank you," she said, bringing his hands up and kissing both of them. "I will keep you safe, too. You and Aurora. Though you can surely protect yourselves, I will make sure you never find trouble."

The boat slowly drifted back to land, where Vivalda could already see a car waiting for her, presumably with Lucien inside of it. She'd just touched down when she received a message from Rebekah, informing her that she ought to send a vial of her blood to Mystic Falls in order for Klaus, who had a witch handy, to unlink the siblings and prevent Esther from killing them all.

She responded with a thumbs up, and was greeted with a second message informing her that Sage had come by, and had helped Rebekah find the last of the white oak (the fact there was any more to be destroyed concerned Vivalda). The next step of the plan to prevent their murder was to use Sage to get Finn to give his blood for the unlinking. Rebekah anticipated that by the following day, they'd be safe no matter where Esther was.

"Ready, love?" said Lucien, stepping out of the car once she'd drained her blood into one of the wine glasses, and asked kindly that one of The Strix vampires get it to a sireling of hers that lived nearby.

She nodded, turning to Tristan and kissing his cheek. "Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow."

Lucien had bottles of whiskey already waiting for them in the car. "Come," he said, plopping her on his lap and opening the bottle for her. "Here is to a fun night! Because goodness knows your day was boring."

"It wasn't," she chided, tilting her head back for him to pour a stream of whiskey down her throat. "I'm serious, he does not bore me. I like him as much as I like you."

He put his hand on her hip, sliding it down to grip her bottom. "That's a fat ruddy lie, you like me a lot more."

She shook her head. "I assure you, it's equal. We would not be having this conversation if I liked you even slightly more."

"Hmmm... alright. Well, can he excite you like this?" He massaged her leg, hand creeping up her thigh. "Can he touch you without having to look away?" He gazed into her eyes, hand now cupping her breast.

"He hasn't tried to," she said honestly. "And I'm fine with it, Lucien. Truly I am. I am not enough of a sex addict to only care about that. I do have feelings, you know. And I like how much he and I can connect emotionally where you and I connect physically."

"I can be emotional."

"Can you?"

"Well... I can build up to it."

"It's not a competition to see which of you I like more. The probationary period is not meant to be used like a race for my love. It's to test out this arrangement and if it doesn't work, we stop it entirely. I won't date either of you ever again if it doesn't work out."

"It was worth a shot. Now, please can I kiss you?"

"Only because you asked nicely."

He attached his mouth to hers, lips reaching out hungrily and keeping hers captured, her entire body trapped against his.

She loved it. Every second of letting Lucien kiss and feed, not daring to take it a step further even though she knew he wanted it. And the whole time she was lightheaded with bliss, she thought of Tristan, too. Of the gentle way he brushed their hands together, of his sweet words and flowers. That fuzzy feeling she got when he spoke with her about something he cared about was the same one she now had as Lucien massaged her thighs and sucked on her neck.

This is the life.

Tristan had played his violin to welcome his sister the following day. He'd so calmly explained his situation to her, the entire time holding Vivalda's hand as if he was afraid he'd break it if he squeezed too much. Ever so often, he'd throw in a little kiss on her thumb, a shy smile lingering when Aurora started wiggling her eyebrows and asking for more details, at least until she grew bored and went to take a bath.

Lucien had introduced her to his witch, Alexis, who kept up as long as she could with shots of tequila in the middle of a club where vampires all over stared jealousy while Lucien held onto Vivalda like someone might try to snatch her away. He was obviously enjoying their glares because he was the one who got to dance against her, he was the one who kissed her when the music swelled.

She'd still been riding the high of the first two days with them when Elijah called in the middle of the night.

"It's three in the morning here," she said, barely stepping out of Lucien's car to greet Tristan at the door. "This better be good."

"It isn't," said Elijah seriously. "Sister, I've just been told by Klaus and Rebekah that Finn has died. Sage has followed suit."

Vivalda knew both Lucien and Tristan had heard it. The two moved closer, but were distracted when their phones began to go off, message after message flooding in. Elijah's words became blurred as Vivalda drew her own away from her ear, seeing that Antonella was also spamming her.

'Vampires dropping dead all over the world.'

"What the hell," she whispered quietly, bringing the phone back up. "What–? But why–?"

"Until today, we did not know that our sirelings are linked to us, sister," said Elijah as calmly as we could. "But an hour after Finn died... so did all those from his line. Every person Sage turned... every person they turned."

"But they were fine," she said, voice starting to shake. "Everything was fine. She told me she convinced Finn to give blood. Klaus had a witch... Sage and him were going to leave. We... we were unlinked. Who... who did this? Did our mother–?"

"No. I want you to remain calm, sister."

"Who did it, Elijah?"

"The killing blow was dealt by Matt Donovan. He was helped by Elena Gilbert and Stefan Salvatore."

Her face began to twitch to an almost painful degree, contorting with rage that both Tristan and Lucien noticed, causing them to set their phones aside as Vivalda stopped listening to Elijah's pleas that they be reasonable.

"The time for being reasonable was done a long time ago," she said quietly. "They killed my brother and my sister. Someone has to answer for this. Vampires all over the world will have lost friends... lovers. They will want revenge. If you fools won't retaliate... then I will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.7K 2.1K 32
When she learned that vampires were real, she vowed never to forge a relationship with one. And at first, that seemed easy, until she met one of the...
66.7K 2.5K 32
━━━ 'right. and then she stole your credit card and spent all your money so you had to commit fraud the entire way back' ┏...
222K 6.7K 24
"She's the embodiment of chaos itself-a combination of all her siblings, the worst parts of them. She's more vengeful than Klaus, more conniving than...
224K 7K 38
Despite knowing what she was in for, she made a choice to help the Crescent Wolf Pack, believing that it could bring the prosperity and peace they'd...