The Red Queen | Lucien Castle...

By SprintingFox

The Mikaelsons had been royalty in New Orleans, but the youngest among the group of apex predators didn't thi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Final Author's Note

Chapter 5

1.9K 97 23
By SprintingFox

Lucien spared no expense.

The hotel was perhaps the most luxurious place Vivalda had seen, aside from the mansions that actually served as permanent homes. High ceilings, marble pillars, murals on the walls, staff in all black with Rolex watches and Gucci bels. He wasn't shy about spending money and treating himself to everything it could buy for him.

She sat in the lobby, still in her dress, legs crossed as she read a boring magazine and learned a few new slang terms that she didn't quite like, but was sure someone like Rebekah would lap up immediately if she was to play the part of a high school teen.

"It seems like the high tide was washed in a siren."

"Am I that loud?" said Vivalda sweetly, not looking up at him. "Forgive me, I'll turn down the screaming inside my head."

Lucien offered his hand once she set the magazine down. He pulled her to her feet, kissing her on the cheek, arm already quite comfortable around her waist, thumb ghosting over her bare back. "My, it is good to see you, love," he said, not at all shy about personal space the way Tristan had been. "The years are always incredibly kind to you, Vivalda, you look gorgeous."

"You look good, too," she said, close enough to admire the individual threads on his suit. "You've finally figured out how to wear your hair. I'm proud of you."

He put a hand on his chest. "I'd take it as a compliment if I didn't know any better. Ah, Valda, do I have a fun night planned for us. And it starts with the hotel bar. Come, come."

He ushered her into the next room, sitting her with him and ordering a bottle of Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Vivalda raised a brow when she saw the price on the menu. "This is some pre-game."

"Only the best," said Lucien, taking the bottle and pouring them both a drink. "To seeing one another again. It's been fartoo long."

"Not long enough," she teased. "I could have survived another century. I didn't know you were so needy."

"I take great offense to that, I hope you know. But enough about looks, because you know as well as I that we are both in our prime, as beautiful and handsome as we could be. Anyone with a lick of sense will loathe us because they'll wish to be us. Tell me, where to from here? I imagine Nik doesn't want you out of the house just yet."

She smirked, taking a small sip. "Oh, he won't want me to go, I'm sure. He's dying for attention constantly. But I am not going to tolerate his behavior any longer. Likely tomorrow or the day after, I will be out of his hair. You know, that is one compliment I will give. At least you take care of yourself. Nik, well," she rolled her eyes, "cares more about entertaining children than fixing himself up."

Lucien hummed, "And that's why he's there, in torment, and not out in the world enjoying the finer things in life. The finer people. I wouldn't trade the money, the women, and the jets for anything. A lavish existence is the only existence fitting for people like us, wouldn't you agree?"

"Mm, I'm less inclined to luxury than you are but only because I easily grow restless. Last I heard, you were building another company. How did that work out for you?"

"It has gone as great as my previous ideas. Kingmaker Land Development, headed by darling philanthropist Lucien Castle who donates great sums to those in need, builds the greatest homes and hotels," he gestured around them, "known to man, and is also devilishly handsome."

"My, my, my," she said, tapping his ankle with her foot. "It's a wonder he finds time to hang out with the lowly Mikaelsons who don't have such well-known companies."

"Don't be ridiculous, your weapons have been purchased by governments all over the world, everyone knows it. Your industry is simply different than mine. Well, perhaps not so different. I have been dabbling in science as of late and I do think it has taken off for me."

"My word! Take the syringe away from this man, lest he start a biological war."

"Never, I promise, I've no reason to get rid of the lovely people who pay millions to live comfortably in my properties filled with the greatest designs. I even do TED Talks now. Many want to hear my ideas and have me give personalized advice."

"I hate to ask this, but what the bloody hell is a TED Talk?"

He smirked, drumming his fingers against the bar. "Come with me."

Lucien kept his hand over her eyes as he led her into the elevator, having her hold the bottle of bourbon and their two glasses. She felt the rush of air before they'd even walked out onto the roof and sat when instructed, waiting for him to step back before she could look around and admire the nighttime view of the city, not at all what was visible when she last remembered having a sight like this before her eyes.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said Lucien seriously, standing in front of her and holding onto the collar of his shirt. "CEO of Kingmaker Land Development, Lucien Castle." He encouraged her to clap, which she did before taking another drink. "Thank you, thank you, everyone."

He pretended to pace around a stage. "You all know my story. A boy who had nothing turned into the man with the world at his fingertips. But I am not here to teach you about a career in business, I am not here to tell you how science is being used today to make cures for the diseases that tomorrow, may take someone you love away. No... I am here to tell you how you can end up in my shoes." He held them up. "These are Italian, by the way, worth thousands of dollars."

Vivalda rolled her eyes good-naturedly, offering another light clap. Lucien winked, "How does a pauper turn into a prince? By watching. Waiting. Learning and listening. I worked under the thumb of a tyrant for a long time, but I did not let that be the end, no, I did not think that that was where the finish line would be, that I'd end up dying unfulfilled like my father. I knew I was destined for greatness, and it is what you all need to think."

He pointed at a make-believe audience member. "You need to look into the mirror and say, 'I am meant to do incredible things. I have a place in this world and I will find it. I will pursue my passions and I will not let anyone tell me I am not made of the same material as all the greats.' When you are beaten down at work, stand back up. When you hear advice, heed it!"

He moved his arms, as if to make the audience feel more excited. "Especially when it comes from someone in power! Yes, you must listen to the advice of your superiors then do better! Study more than just your books, study the way they move, their posture and prose, study the weaknesses of those who outrank you and eliminate them from your own experience. Climb the ladder of success and question every step you take! Authority is meant to be challenged! Great achievers refuse to stand in the shadows!"

She giggled, clapping as he knelt in front of her, taking her hand and kissing it. "That, everyone," he said with another wink, "is how you become a price. And then a king."

"That partially answers my question," she said playfully. "TED Talks are for giving advice and telling your story."

"And what part of it is left unanswered?"

She raised her hand, keeping her calm when he leaned forward and cupped her chin. "What is it, love?" he whispered.

"What do you do after a TED Talk?"

"You're going to like the answer to that."

He sat directly beside her as a compelled driver took them to something called a 'rave.' The entire time, he had his hand on her leg, right where the slit of the gown opened, as far up as his palm could rest without it seeming like his hand was sneaking up her dress. His fingertips grazed her inner thigh, and he tried to pretend he wasn't paying her any attention, hand on his chin as he stared out the window, telling her more about what he did on a daily basis.

It was much harder to pretend this didn't do anything to her. She'd been old enough to feel desire when she first met him and had absolutely hated that he wouldn't give her a second glance. She despised knowing that she just wasn't his type, that he wouldn't see them as more than friends. She had only ever admitted to Antonella that at one point, she had foolishly believed that she and Lucien would fancy one another and that she might lose her virtue to him, someone she trusted and could see herself spending the rest of her life with.

He noticed her now more than ever. He'd been so different as a young lad, not at all able to appreciate what she had to offer until time passed and he saw how much she grew each decade, with vampires who worshiped the very ground she walked on and an intense look in her eyes that made him weak at the knees.

And the only one who knew the regret he was barely starting to become aware of was his trusted witch, Alexis.

"You're in a good mood," she noticed when he'd uncharacteristically rolled out of bed early and stared down at his phone. "Is it because she's awake again?"

"I haven't the faintest idea what you mean," he said dismissively, setting the phone down and sliding his shirt back on. She saw him bolt toward it when a text arrived. He was about to respond when she flicked her hand, making it fly toward her.

"Ooh," said Alexis, wiggling her feet when she read the message from Vivalda. "She wants to see you. Are you going to go?"

"We have business here," he said with a shrug.

"And yet all you've done in the past day is tell me about her because you expect us to meet soon. Go. Book the flight to Richmond right now and fly there. Why wait?"

"Because, love, it doesn't work like that."

"Why not? Because you don't want it to? She's stepping away from her family and she is asking to see you. Oh, is this because she had a crush on you?"

He scowled, and Alexis 'ohed.' "Oh my. Lucien, do you have a crush on her? That's it! You do!"

"I do not," he said flatly. "How many times must I tell you that Aurora–"

"Please, don't start with that again. You told me yourself that lately, you don't feel the same way about her. That ever since the last time you spoke to this girl, you realized you are bored with chasing Aurora when she hasn't given back any of that energy. Trust me, Lucien." She walked over, putting her hands on his shoulders. "My premonition was right. Aurora will never feel the same way about you. And it's not your fault. That fault belongs to Elijah, to Klaus. Because with their compulsion, she saw you as a brother and that feeling won't ever go away."

He whirled around, gripping her throat. "And what did I say about you holding your tongue?"

Alexis laughed lightly, eyelids fluttering as he squeezed harder. "I only know what I feel, and this feeling is strong. You have always liked this girl more than her siblings. And you hate that you let her go. You hate that you didn't pay attention to her, that you didn't find out she had a crush until it was too late for you to do anything. Oh, yes, you've tried and failed to ignite that spark in her, you've seen her ever so often and been met with rejection after rejection because she's too smart for you, now, Lucien. She won't spread her legs for you any more than Aurora will and you hate it. But still, you love the idea of this challenge. You never thought of her as your superior before, even when you were freshly turned, but now she is. And you want to be her King."

He laughed darkly, shaking her for a moment then setting her down. "I had the Queen in the palm of my hand. She was eating out of it and I didn't know. I won't stop until I have it back. No matter what it takes."

"Riddle me this," she said, leaning onto the counter. "Do you have a crush on her?"

"I don't."

"I don't believe you."

"I don't have a crush."

"So this is just a game you want to win? You want to prove you're her equal?"

"Because I am."

"Yes, you're right, and she would know that. She's probably the only one of them who would acknowledge you that way, isn't she? Because as arrogant as she is, she always recognizes true power. She'll give you the recognition that Aurora never could and you hunger for that." She traced her finger against his lips. "You hunger for her. She thinks it's superficial, she thinks you want to fuck her and move on. But you don't, do you? You want to make her yours."

"She will be," said Lucien hotly. "She will be mine, she has to be."

Alexis flopped back onto the couch. "But why do it just to have her in bed? Why do it just to piss her brothers off? God, Lucien, this is why she won't reciprocate, because she's going to think you're just using her to replace Aurora."

"It isn't like that! She is just like me. She is just as unhinged, she jokes and teases in a way only I understand. She has fought for her position just as I've fought for mine. She stands up to authority the way I do, she and I both enjoy our superiority because we are the greatest. We built our reputation without anyone's help. The most that was done was us being turned against our will. And when we had it, we seized it and have done fantastic things with our strength. Only she will ever understand me and she does not know this yet, but only I will ever understand her. I need her to be mine."

"Let me rephrase my earlier statement. This isn't a crush. No, this is as deep as it went with Aurora. Deeper, even, because you had her and you lost her and now you want it back or you'll never rest. You need her to feel complete. Oh, boy. You're head over heels. Want my advice? Go to Richmond. Find her. And show her that you made a mistake by not having valued her enough the first time."

Vivalda held onto him as he pulled them through a crowd of people into the rave, where bright lights flashed as the same electronic music she'd yet to grow accustomed to blared through the building, so much louder in her ears. She could smell all types of alcohol on the breath of those dancing on top of each other, many of the attendees barely clothed.

"At the risk of sounding too forward," said Lucien in her ear, hand reaching out to caress her bare back, "we need to get out of these clothes."

"Hmm, no," said Vivalda, leaning back into him and purposely pressing her behind over his crotch. "I think we can make do with this." She gestured around them. "Who do you think tastes best?"

This was what the two of them liked about hanging out together. The feeding without judgment. Vivalda felt that none of her siblings understood the way she liked to drink blood, how uncontrolled she wished to be, how pleasant it was to be bathed entirely in it. Kol was messy in the wrong way; he left too many dead bodies. Elijah and Finn were too proper for this. Rebekah would lose her mind if her outfit was ruined. And Klaus simply wasn't too company, he liked to control every aspect of it.

Vivalda and Lucien fed without caring how expensive their clothes were; it could all be replaced. They didn't kill because they didn't want to have to step over bodies. They traded places, sometimes even feeding from the neck of the same people. And then, in one wild moment, Lucien had pinned her to the wall and fed from her neck as she squirmed, tugging at his hair and biting her lip to conceal any noises.

She loved how laid back he was, how his scene was parties that got her heart racing in the best of ways. He thrilled her and made her laugh, he was passionate and understood her desire to throw sophistication out the window.

"Oh, you are the worst," he laughed drunkenly when he was pulling her back into the car to return to the hotel. "Five thousand dollars... poof..." he giggled and ran his hand down his chest, where blood had soaked into his all-black suit. "Down the drain."

"I'll owe you another one," she said, a little less drunk but still tipsy after drinking the blood of every inebriated person in the rave. "That was so fun! That music isn't so bad in an environment like that. Still need some getting used to but I may grow to tolerate it."

He pulled her onto his lap, cupping her face. "I would very much like to kiss you, love."

"Mm, but you can't," she said, shaking her head. "Tell me that when we're both sober and I may consider it."

He groaned, leaning his head back. "But why? You're beautiful and intelligent and ruthless and you are a Queen and I wish to be your King, we would be unstoppable."

She tapped her pointer finger against his chest. "A thousand years ago, I'd have sold my organs just for you to pay this much attention to me. But you didn't. If you can't tell me sincerely when sober that you desire me, I won't consider it. It's not fair to either of us."

Lucien cupped her face. "I want you, love, I want every part of you. But what do you want?"

"I don't yet know. This may be the first time I can actually reach for what I desire without being held back. And I'm not sure what's in store for me. If you can call me tomorrow and tell me all this, from the bottom of your heart, if you can convince me that you care about me and not Aurora, then I will see if you fit into my future. But until then, I'm going to keep my options open."

"I'll beat all your competitors."

"Hmm, I'm not so sure about that."

"Well, who else would be in the running?"

"I don't think I should even tell you."

He waited until they were at a stop to push her on the floor, tickling her sides and hovering over her as she gazed up, green eyes shining with the light of a streetlamp as he examined her face, wondering what she might be hiding.

"I didn't know Tristan mattered so much to you," he said curiously. "Are you telling me someone like him could excite you?"

"It's the opposite of that, really," she said tiredly. "He is a good friend, he grounds me, he gives me peace when I need it and his passion isn't overwhelming. You, on the other hand, you thrill me, you bring me fun when I crave it. Two sides of a very complicated coin. I like you both in some way. I can want you but I will want him. I want both of you."

"Then have us both," Lucien slurred, leaning in for a kiss that she turned away from. "Valda, Valda, my Queen, you can have me and you can have him."

"You hate sharing."

"I'll do anything to have you."

She left him in his hotel room, passed out on his bed. She left a note over his phone, 'Call me if you meant what you said last night,' though she considered he might not even remember it.

Hell, why was she even thinking about it? Why was she encouraging such crazy thoughts? It had been strange enough to suddenly find herself considering Tristan as a romantic partner. Now Lucien? No, she was stronger than this. She remembered the pain of his rejection, she remembered how in a thousand years, their friendship had never escalated enough, he was never as honest about his desires as he was tonight, it was always subtle touches, her admitting anything he wanted or felt.

What did any of it mean? Was the world laying out these opportunities, willing her to take a leap? What would happen if the next morning, Lucien called her and insisted what he felt was real, that his desire was real?

Even worse, what would happen if he hadn't been kidding about sharing her with Tristan? Did that even make sense? Was it possible? Sure, she was an Original, she could have anything she wanted, but she'd never considered such a thing. Not even Rebekah had done it. And when she'd last seen two men in love with the same woman, it hadn't ended well.

We're not destined to meet the same fate, are we?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 413 18
Roland Howard needed to get away. He had to learn to live with his trauma from the death of his wife and move on with his life. Leaving home, he fin...
25.6K 913 59
Talia Mikaelson, fifth born child of Mikael and Esther Mikaelson, sister of Finn, Elijah, Niklaus, Kol, and Rebekah. For a thousand years, Talia has...
812K 22.2K 55
Odette Jade De Marie travelled to Mystic Falls with the intention of gathering information for her best friend, only for it to lead her to meet the O...