Fracture (Chronicles of Disco...

By DD_Chant

In a world torn apart by war, three nations stand divided: The Free Nation Senator Burton and his son Ben arr... More

Fracture (Chronicles of Discord, #1)
Fracture - Chapter 2
Fracture - Chapter 3
Fracture - Chapter 4
Fracture - Chapter 5
Fracture - Chapter 6
Fracture - Chapter 7
Fracture - Chapter 8
Fracture - Chapter 10

Fracture - Chapter 9

26 2 0
By DD_Chant

“I'm disappointed in you, Astra.”

Councillor Ladron watched the calm, downward turned face for any betraying signs of emotion.

“Your sister is rarely guarded enough in her speech so I had expected you to avoid a meeting between her and Mr. Burton.”

It was late, the light from a single globe placed on Corbani Va Dic Ladron’s desk illuminated Astra where she stood in front of his desk, but the rest of the room was in shadows.

It would have interested Ben greatly to know that the Councillor’s office was located in a brick part of the building and unlike all of the other offices in the Council building, was not made with the glass walls that indicated the ‘transparency of the regime’.

“Forgive the oversight, Reverend Councillor.” Astra bowed, placing a hand over her heart. The movement caused the light from the desk to glimmer on the gold embroidered on the fabric of her dress.

“What did they talk of, Astra?”

Astra straightened. She had known this question was coming but still it struck her with a chill of foreboding. She would have to walk a very fine line, to tell the truth but only the part that was least damaging to Leda. If Ladron ever found out all that Leda had said... Astra didn’t even want to think about that.

“While out in the city we came across Leda by accident, Reverend Councillor,” she answered. “She did not make herself known to us, but Mr. Burton recognized her when she approached him at this evening’s entertainment.”

“And why would Leda make herself known to him?” asked Councillor Ladron.

Astra knew that beneath his calm exterior a predator waited, eager to pounce.

“He had cut his hand, she did not see who he was only that he had injured himself.”

No tremor gave away that her words were lies.

Councillor Ladron stared at her without blinking for some time.

“You are telling me that Leda's overwhelming instinct to care for the sick impelled her to assist before she realized who Mr. Burton was?”

Astra affected not to notice the sarcasm in his voice and nodded.

“That is correct, Reverend Councillor.”

Again there was silence.

“Are you lying to me, Astra?”

“No, Reverend Councillor.”

“Good because you know what happens to all who lie to me do you not?”

Corbani Va Dic Ladron detected a faint shiver pass through Astra’s frame and smiled with satisfaction.

“Did anything else pass between them?”

“They had no chance to speak further, Reverend Councillor.”

“You showed some presence of mind at least,” remarked Councillor Ladron standing. “Inform Leda that she will receive punishment: I think a few months in one of the military hospitals on the front line will encourage her to be more... prudent... in the future, don’t you, Astra?”

“Your mercy is undeserved, Reverend Councillor,” bowed Astra. “Thank you for your leniency.”

Councillor Ladron turned on the threshold of the port.

“This is the last time, Astra,” he warned. “Leda has flouted the laws that govern your situation one too many times: should she do so again I will have her killed.”

“Yes, Reverend Councillor,” Astra bowed again, keeping in position until she heard the port close behind him.

For some time she stood still in the centre of the office, her breathing gradually accelerating until a slight hitch formed in the rhythm of her gasps.

Then she was crying.

It was the opening of floodgates, an outpouring that once begun, could not be stemmed.

Eventually reason returned and with it the ability to make some sort of plan: the situation had to be controlled because Councillor Ladron must never find out that Leda had given Senator Burton’s son her number. Astra had to retrieve it now, tonight, because she knew that Ben was reckless enough and ignorant enough to call Leda tomorrow.

If he did, by tomorrow night they would all be dead.

--------

Ben wasn’t sure what woke him up. Maybe the intruder made a noise, maybe they jarred the bed or maybe some sixth sense alerted him to danger. Whatever the case, one second he was blinking groggily at the figure standing at the bottom of his bed and the next, instinct had taken over and he had lunged at the intruder.

The figure dropped and rolled out of his way, landing in a crouch with one leg outstretched and one hand resting on the ground to stabilize him.

For a second they both stared at one another, weighing up each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Ben saw a slight figure dressed solely in black, the only parts of him visible were his eyes and it was too dark for Ben to see them clearly.

For a second longer they were still, and then they both moved. Ben found that his opponent was very quick, dodging his blows with an elegant ease born of much practise. He also found that he could pack a punch; there was no particular style he favoured but he improvised freely, borrowing from a wide repertoire of moves and executing them with a rhythmic breathless tempo that left Ben gasping.

Ben blocked his attack and waited for the opening that he knew must come, but as soon as his assailant had an unobstructed path to the port, he turned and ran. Ben chased after him, but the stranger’s lighter frame suddenly came in to its own: he was just too quick to catch and Ben was left to watch as his quarry descended out of reach in one of the bubbles.

Ben hit the closed doors of the lift in irritation before remembering the black panic button in the suit.

He raced back up the corridor but as his finger hovered over the button, he pulled back unsure.

Now he had a moment to think about it, surely the most likely person to set an attacker onto him was Councillor Ladron?

Ben pushed the button.

It didn’t matter who had sent the intruder, it still had to be reported and the longer he waited the harder it would be to explain his reticence later.

The security forces entered the suite less than sixty seconds later. Ben found himself staring down the length of an impressive looking weapon, which – as it was in such close proximity to his head – he could tell was made from a toughened plastic. After a brief second, the weapon was lowered and Ben took in the security officers themselves in more detail. They were dressed in black, the torso area of their suits solid with some sort of armour and helmets completely covering their faces. The officer standing nearest to him nodded to his comrades and his visor slid back.

“What is the threat to your safety?”

“I just woke up to find some ninja guy walking around my room.” Ben looked around at the officers gathered in the room. “You mind telling me how he managed to get in to my room?”

Ben saw the soldiers eyes widen in shock.

“Exactly. Not conducive to sleep.”

The soldier didn’t seem to be listening.

“Did you say ninja?”

“Sure I did. You know…” Ben gestured sketchily, “black clothes, mask and capable of kicking a guy in the head from standing position.”

The soldier released the safety catch on his gun, the jesture convaying nervous tension.

“Please return to your room: for your own safety you will be locked in.”

“What? Hang on a minute what are you…?”

Ben found himself unceremoniously shoved into his bedroom and heard the officer talking over his radio. “We have been breached by the Una, we have a confirmed sighting of a ninja operative...”

The port shut, cutting off the rest of the soldier’s communication.

Ben sat down on the edge of his bed.

The Una?

He had been attacked by the Una?

He shook his head. Somehow it hadn’t even occurred to him that it could have been them. The obvious question was why?

Why would they try to hurt him?

What could they possibly hope to achieve?

Did they hope to kidnap him and force negotiations between the Free Nation and the Tula to a halt?

Ben wrinkled his brow. If they had succeeded, surely they must know that his kidnap would only have stalled proceedings. If they thought that his capture would force the Free Nation to end their dealings with the Tula, they were very mistaken.

Ben ran a hand over his face trying to think clearly. What did he really know about the Una?

Not much since the breakdown. He knew they had been lampooned as hippy eco freaks that firmly stood in the way of progress, with their romantic ideals. But as he recalled they had made some pretty amazing breakthroughs, and if they were still keeping the Tula at bay they were anything but the backward heathen that the Tula spoke of.

He stood, pacing the length of the room twice. His first instinct had been to suspect Councillor Ladron and that feeling was still very strong. He knew Corbani Va Dic Ladron was a dangerous man, he knew that he had the power to do whatever he wished and he knew that he would do whatever it took to keep his plans on track. Ben turned from the viewer and took several paces across the room before stopping suddenly and turning.

The table that the viewer stood on gleamed unrelenting white and Ben felt the strongest conviction that he knew exactly who was responsible for breaking into his room.

Leda's contact strip was gone.

-------

“Please allow me to convey my most humble apologies.”

Corbani Va Dic Ladron placed a hand over his heart and inclined his head slightly.

Ben sat on one of the big white armchairs wrapped in a bathrobe and regarding him with what he hoped were aggrieved eyes.

“Did you catch him?”

“I'm afraid not,” returned Corbani. “This is the first time the Una have managed to penetrate the defences of Council Building: they must have hoped to disrupt the forging of the treaty in some way.”

Ben wasn’t sure he liked the way that Councillor Ladron had phrased that statement, it assumed that the treaty would be made, that the Free Nation would meekly fall into line with the Tula High Council’s plans, as a silent and submissive partner.

Senator Burton shifted slightly in his seat, a deliberate motion that fixed attention on him.

“Your words are hardly reassuring, Councillor.”

“Your son was in no great danger, Senator.”

Philip Burton raised his eyebrows.

“How did you come to that conclusion?”

For an unnerving moment Councillor Ladron’s eyes remained fixed on Ben’s and Ben felt as though he saw to his soul.

“My men responded to the alarm in fifty three seconds, the Una would never have managed to leave the building with him.”

“Last time I checked it did not take fifty three seconds to get shot.” returned Senator Burton, allowing some of the anger he felt to creep into his voice.

Councillor Ladron remained unimpressed.

“The Una would never have hurt him, it would not have helped their cause.”

Senator Burton’s hands gripped the arms of his chair so tightly his knuckles turned white.

“In the heat of the moment anything could have happened.”

“We would not have allowed anything to happen to your son, Senator.”

Ben watched his father fight to suppress whatever observation he was about to make. Councillor Ladron’s lack of concern was galling in the extreme and if it hadn’t been for the fact that he already knew he had never been in any danger, Ben would have been ready to deck Corbani Va Dic Ladron and perform a samba on his skull.

“In any case I will have placed a patrol guard outside your suite. You should rest now.”

Councillor Ladron placed a hand over his heart and inclined his head ever so slightly before leaving the room, the soldiers following after him. Ben was left with a strange feeling of unease.

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

Ben nodded, wondering if he should tell his father what he suspected, but it was late and Ben was very conscious of the guards that hovered just outside their quarters.

“I’m fine, it’s just you’ve always taught me not to fight with girls.”

Senator Burton looked puzzled and Ben laughed.

“Never mind Dad, let’s get some sleep. I’ve a feeling I”m going to be very busy tomorrow.”

“Really?”

Ben stood and stretched.

“Believe me Dad, tomorrow will be explosive!”

                                   -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you liked it! ;-D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 3K 43
If you mention the past, you die. ~~~ Phoenix, a young woman living in The City, has grown tired of unjust deaths, brutal killings, and punishment fo...
900 4 8
Pax Pacis, The Peace Corps, holds total dominion over Mundus. The people however, are getting restless. So many of the citizens are unhappy with the...
166K 4.5K 41
"YOU are mine and I DON'T LIKE TO SHARE WHAT IS MINE" As they say once a deal is made there are certainly no loopholes. When everything is put in a...
commander By 20001012k

Science Fiction

35 22 35
Nala's new position as Commander of two clans becomes very difficult as war is threatened by many clans. An unfair deal is made, and a marriage agree...