A Lady's Choice

By 19RaeNegade

Marinette's sixteenth birthday is just around the corner. Yet, trouble rises when her grandparents decide to... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12

8

157 11 10
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

   Adrien hummed in thought before writing something in his notebook.

   "Okay, that doesn't sound too bad so far. What else can I put?" Adrien thought out loud. He gnawed on his pencil's eraser thoughtfully.

   "What are you doing, Mister Agreste?"

   Adrien had a miniature heart attack. He played hot potato with his notebook for a few seconds before finally managing to close it. The blonde's cheeks went red from embarrassment and arranged himself to look like a "normal sitting person." Yet, he only sat awkwardly on the bar stool with a weird smile.

   "M-Marinette! Hey, what's up? Ho-How long have you been here?" he asked quickly. The raven-haired teen found his antics odd but didn't question it. Being odd was normal behavior for Adrien so it really wasn't anything unusual.

   "I had just arrived. My grandparents will be up here in a moment so prepare yourself," Marinette warned.

   The Chengs, Sabine, and Marinette went to the park to review tea time manners. From what he spied from the window, it was more of a fancy picnic. Tom was working in the bakery.

   Adrien stayed at the Dupain-Cheng residence since he wasn't needed. The reason for him being here was to wait and visit a senior center once they finished their tea party.

   And it seemed like they just did get done.

   "Okay," Adrien said, avoiding Marinette's very first question.

There was no way he was going to let Marinette know what he was doing until his thing was finished. He feels like a total dork for doing it in the first place. He didn't want to screw it up and make himself look like a bigger idiot than what Marinette already sees him as.

Voices could be heard coming from the stairwell, making Adrien hurriedly react. He shoved his notebook under the first place he could hide it: under a couch cushion.

Adrien fixed himself and took his place next to Marinette. Like a light switch, Adrien went from himself to a gentleman in the time the door opened.

"Welcome back, Mr. And Mrs. Cheng and Mrs. Dupain-Cheng," Adrien greeted, bowing out of respect.

"Greetings, Suitor," Mrs. Cheng acknowledged before making her way over to the couch along with her husband. Sabine went into the kitchen to clean the dishes used during the tea session.

Adrien and Marinette stiffened when the two Chengs sat down. Much to their luck, Marinette's grandparents were none the wiser of the notebook.

"Child, you and your suitor will be volunteering at an old folks home today after lunch. That...baker peasant will escort you there and pick you up," Mrs. Cheng explained.

"Excuse me, mother," Sabine nudged her way into the conversation, voice thick with venom, "That baker peasant's name is Tom, respectfully so. And he is unable to escort them. He is working. All by himself, I might add since you will not allow me to help him. I will escort them."

"Please, daughter. Only peasants dirty their hands so people like us do not have to. It is how the social food chain works," Mrs. Cheng replied just as sharply.

"As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted. You will volunteer but me and my husband will not be there to watch. We have business to attend to—much more important than baking cookies."

Sabine's eye twitched, doing all she could not to blow up.

"But that does not mean I do not want you on your best behavior! You are representing our family name so do not tarnish it! I want to hear only good things from the workers," Mrs. Cheng finished.

"Yes, grandmother," Marinette agreed in the same robotic voice she has been using around her grandparents. Adrien didn't think he would ever get used to it. It just sounded so unnatural.

Mrs. Cheng sighed, "If only Bridgette were here. She could show you the areas where you lack and failed to succeed. She is the picture of perfection while you have a broken frame."

Marinette broke from her neutral state for a moment and glared at Mrs. Cheng with a heated gaze. Marinette was sick and tired of being compared with her extraordinary cousin, Bridgette.

Oh so perfect, Bridgette! She could do nothing wrong just like the mayor with his daughter. They could get away with anything and be blameless while everyone else paid the price.

Marinette didn't say a word and made her way to the door. There was no point in arguing unless she wanted to face the severe consequences. Consequences she has been trying for years and years to not make a reality. Even if it means that she has to deal with her grandmother all that time.

   It all has to be worth it. All the years living under her grandma's roof. All the backlash, misery, fear, and insecurities.

   Right? It was worth it?

   It must be. It has to be.

   After all, she is doing this all for her family. The ones she has only known for three years and hopefully more. She didn't just waste her life away learning to be something that only dragged her down. Someone she didn't even want to be!

   "Yes..." Marinette thought, clenching her hands.

   "This...this is worth it."

   A worried Sabine and Adrien followed in Marinette's steps. The blonde knew he was going to have a talk with his crush.

   This was a good time to do so when her grandparents aren't breathing down her shoulder. (Although, they don't have to be in Marinette's presence to do so.)

   Adrien walked slightly faster to join at Marinette's side. The bluebell-eyed teen was lost in her thoughts, troubled by whatever was going through her head. Adrien wanted to silence the chaos in her mind, even if just for a moment.

   He locked his arm with hers, startling Marinette out of her daze. Marinette looked up at him in surprise as he returned it with a determined smile. He winked at her; a silent reassurance that he was still at her side through the thick and thin of things.

   Marinette returned the gesture with an unsure smile. Adrien wavered for a moment but kept his optimism high.

   For the sake of Marinette, he would be her pillar of hope and encouragement. He will help Marinette accomplish this mission. There was no room for failure.

   "Don't worry, Marinette," Adrien thought, "After today, there are only two days left and we'll be home free. Then, we can joke about how outdated her grandparents are and maybe...maybe I can finally ask her to that dance."

{+}{+}{+}

   "So...what exactly do we do?" Adrien whispered into Marinette's ear. Sabine was talking to one of the workers while the two teens waited at the entrance.

   "We just have to hang out with them. You know, play games and just talk with them. They do say some interesting things," Marinette instructed.

   "Yeah, I'm sure baking some bread or knitting a sweater is a very interesting topic," Adrien bluntly said.

   "While they do talk about those things, you underestimate what they have done in their lives. They have quite the stories to tell," Marinette replied.

   "I guess I'll have to trust your word then. Also, why didn't your grandparents come anyway, not that I'm complaining? Those old farts would probably get along with these folks and they're donating money here too. Shouldn't they be here?" Adrien questioned.

   "As I said, my grandparents do not like anyone who they see as lesser than them. So, they sent us to represent them," Marinette explained.

   "Wow, how professional," Adrien sarcastically tutted. He had to roll his eyes at the absurdity of Marinette's grandparents. It would've looked better on the Chengs if they showed up instead of sending them to do all the dirty work.

   Adrien supposed the good thing about them not being here was—well, them not being here. They still had to be careful since they were being watched. So, they had to be on their best behavior for good news only to report.

"Adrien and Marinette, it is time to go in," Sabine called. Marinette and Adrien followed the older woman deeper into the building.

Adrien looked around the hallway and glanced at passersby. Truth be told, Adrien had been in an old folks home once before.

He had been in choir class and they performed a few songs at this exact nursing home. He stood in the way back and obviously didn't participate in singing (it being uncool). The chances of them remembering him after two years were very little (or they weren't around at all anymore).

To be honest, the blonde didn't think he would ever return.

Sabine approached a set of double doors and opened one of them. Adrien peeked inside, seeing a large room with recliners, chairs and small tables with board games, shuffleboard, shelves with different activities, and a TV playing a Western movie.

"The thrill of a lifetime," Adrien thought, unenthused.

"Hello, Abigail!" Sabine greeted, approaching an elderly woman knitting a scarf, "It has been a while since I have seen you come to the bakery!" The two ladies started talking and it seemed that the conversation was far from over.

   "You know her?" Adrien questioned Marinette.

   "Indeed! Mrs. Reese was one of our constant patrons. She came to the bakery every Saturday morning after moving to Paris from the United Kingdom. We were the first people to give her a warm welcome after a not-so-pleasant start here in the city," Marinette explained.

   She tugged on Adrien's arm, warranting the boy to follow Marinette.

   "Come now, suitor. Let us acquaint ourselves with the others."

"Let's just get this over this," Adrien encouraged himself even while adding, "It's going to be a long day."

{+}{+}{+}

"Really?! Then what happened?" Adrien asked, completely enamored. He had somehow started conversing with an old guy, Knox. He was telling stories about when he was in a motorcycle gang, The Bloody Thorns.

"I punched that grease monkey so hard that he skidded to the other side of the table. He bled so much that he had to go to the hospital. That's why they called me Crimson," Knox said proudly, "If another gang messed with my gang's bar, they'd have to put up one heck of a tussle."

"Cool," Adrien said, starstruck, "When did you leave the gang?"

"About my mid-twenties," Knox answered, earning a surprised response from Adrien.

"Really? How come?" the blonde asked. Adrien knew that most gang members would stay until their early thirties.

"I had met a gal unlike no other. She knew how to rev my engines if you know what I mean," Knox chuckled, "Once I knew she was the one, I had to leave my gang days behind me and get a job."

"Wow, that must have been a tough choice to leave," the blonde stated.

"Yes, there were some days when I missed the boys but I don't regret my decision. Heck, it was pretty scary to change even for a big bad biker like me. But I have two beautiful children and had the most dynamite gal as a wife. I would do it all again," the old man explained.

"So even though change can be scary, sometimes it is good. I remember a saying in a book my wife read to the kids when they were just little, chaotic gremlins. Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Adrien smiled, feeling lighter by Knox's words. They were a bit of a comfort in a way.

"I heard that you have one dynamite gal yourself," Knox teased, turning Adrien into the awkward teen he was.

"I...guess you could say that," Adrien said, looking over at Marinette. She was currently in the middle of a chess game with a different old man and listening to some music on a radio.

"Don't sweat it, kid. I'm sure she likes you back," Knox reassured, waving off Adrien's worry.

"You think?" the teen asked.

"Of course, she wouldn't have picked you otherwise, right?" the old man replied. He did have a point but he didn't know that this was all a scheme.

"Yeah...yeah, of course," Adrien agreed, halfheartedly. The blonde stood up, "I should probably go check on her. It was nice talking to you."

"Thanks for listening! It's been a treat!" Knox said before Adrien left him to do his crossword puzzle.

Marinette finished her game with the old man and said her farewells. As she stood, she noticed Adrien approaching.

"How did it go?" Marinette asked, "I could tell you were enraptured by his story."

"It was good. He's a pretty cool dude," Adrien said, "I have to admit, I didn't think I would enjoy myself here but am mildly surprised that I did have fun."

"Well, that is just wonderful!" Marinette exclaimed, wrapping an arm around Adrien's. It was starting to feel natural to lock arms without thinking about it. Marinette didn't understand why she enjoyed having her arm wrapped around Adrien's arm but never got a word of complaint from him.

"Come, I would like to catch up with Abigail before we depart," she added, pulling Adrien along.

Adrien caught onto the music Marinette and the guy she was playing chess with was listening too.

"Were you two listening to Jagged Stone? I didn't take you as someone who liked rock music," Adrien teased, nudging the girl a little.

"I do not just like rock music. I love it! I have listened to classical music a majority of my life. So, Jagged Stone's songs were an extremely nice change of pace. As a matter of fact, he was the first rock musician I have ever listened too. I instantly fell in love with his music when I first heard it. Now, it holds a special place in my heart," Marinette rambled joyfully.

Adrien took note of this, wondering how he didn't know this detail until now. There were actually a few things he didn't know that he probably should've known. He recently learned her favorite color two days ago. What kind of best friend was he supposed to be?

He supposed he knew that she loved video games and anime. She was a mad-lad at laser tag. She is the class president and very intelligent, much so that she could've already graduated.

She is kind, strong-willed, brave, beautiful...

Okay, so maybe he did know a few things. Actually, the more he learns about her, he can't help but keep falling over and over again.

Marinette really was something else.

"I love Jagged Stone's music too," Adrien said.

Marinette gasped in delight, "Then, we are going to have to go see one of his concerts! I have never been to a concert before since I did not know anyone else who enjoyed his music."

"Sounds like a plan, Princess," Adrien agreed. He raised his fist along with Marinette's own and collided them like a promise made.

Adrien was happy Marinette was growing more confident that they could succeed. Yet, they had to be careful not to be overconfident or they might exploit their scheme.

The two approached the older woman, earning Sabine's cheery smile.

"Hello, my darlings," Sabine greeted the teens.

"Hello, mother. And hello to you as well Mrs. Reese," Marinette greeted.

"My! How you've grown! Time sure does fly!" Abigail cooed in a British accent, "I heard your birthday is coming up. Happy birthday if I don't see you."

"Why thank you, Mrs. Reese," Marinette said, gratefully before introducing Adrien, "This is my suitor, Mister Agreste."

"And what a handsome one you are. Marinette, you have chosen a fine, young fellow," Abigail complimented. Adrien flushed and scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment. Marinette obliviously gave a nod.

"Actually, you look familiar," Abigail stated, eyeing Adrien.

"I-I do?" Adrien sputtered.

"I hope this isn't the granny I stole a last-minute cat from and later gifted it to one of my old gang mates," he thought, sweating profusely.

"Oh yes! I do remember you! You were in that school choir group a few years ago," Abigail said.

"Y-You remember me from that?!" Adrien was stunned that this old lady remembered something that happened two years ago. Something that wasn't really too much of a memorable thing, especially for him.

"Yes! You all did such a lovely job that I'll always cherish it! I remember you stood in the back row and weren't singing. You were so shy it was quite adorable and you wanted to leave so bad that you fell off the back riser," Abigail explained.

"Oh yeah, that's definitely something someone probably wouldn't forget," Adrien thought, "It wasn't out of shyness. It was more of a misstep."

"You fell off the back of the risers," Marinette questioned, raising an amused eyebrow. She had a smile on her face and a teasing twinkle within the bluebell of her eyes.

Adrien had to clear his throat self-consciously, "Well, yes. But the guy next to me totally nudged me off without anyone noticing."

"I am sure he did," Marinette replied, rolling her eyes. She didn't believe Adrien for a second.

   Sabine smiled at the adorable teens' bantering. It reminded Sabine of her and her husband at that age. Just two silly young ones simply in love without a care in the world.

   It was unfortunate that her parents were very disapproving of Tom, no matter how hard he tried to meet their expectations.

   She hoped her parents wouldn't do the same to Marinette, not that she was aware of her feelings quite yet. The raven-haired girl was pretty slow when it came to emotions. Sabine just hopes Marinette realizes her feelings in case it is too late.

   "Speaking of parents," Sabine thought before asking Adrien, "I almost forgot to ask, but when are we to be expecting your parents coming over, Adrien? I am quite excited to meet them."

   Adrien turned to Sabine.

   He remembered asking his parents for their help but his dad wasn't available until Friday night—tomorrow night. Gabriel had some pretty important meetings to attend too. Much to Adrien's surprise, Mrs. Cheng seemed to highly respect someone who was dedicated to their work.

   This was probably one of the few times Adrien was thankful that his dad was a workaholic.

   "Tomorrow," he answered.

   Sabine gave a simple nod before her phone alerted her of a message. The baker woman checked her phone and let out a sigh.

   "It is time for us to return," she informed Adrien and Marinette. They all seemed to dampen at the news but hid their saddening mood as they said their farewells. Then, they all returned to the Dupain-Cheng's residence.

   "What are your parents like?" Marinette asked once the car was in motion.

   "Well...they're not all bad," Adrien answered, earning a quizzical look from Marinette.

   "Whatever is that supposed to mean?" she questioned.

   To be honest, Adrien really didn't know either. His childhood was kind of a sad one. Maybe not as bad as others but it wasn't good either.

   His mom died when he was little which turned his dad into a workaholic and kept to himself all the time. His doing so caused little Adrien to become a troublemaker to gain his father's attention. Yet, his antics only grew worse once Nathalie came into their lives.

   Yet, why didn't he like Nathalie? It wasn't like she did anything wrong. She was always trying to be nice to the blonde and earn her place in the family. She even repeatedly reminded Adrien that she wasn't replacing his mother. For some reason, her existence in their lives just made him not like her.

   Maybe...Adrien had been jealous that his dad gave more attention to Nathalie than his own child.

   "Man...I was messed up," Adrien thought. He was glad that everything was getting better now. He was still somewhat bitter but was slowly growing out of that stage.

   "It's...complicated," Adrien answered, scratching the back of his neck, "I promise it'll be okay though. We've had...past issues but it's getting better."

"I am glad that it is getting better. I am looking forward to meeting them," Marinette said with a thrilled smile.

The edge of Adrien's lips rose, hoping that everything would turn out okay tomorrow.

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7K 231 12
!!!MILD CURSE WARNING!!! TAKES PLACE AFTER SEASON 3 Friendships are tested when Marinette makes a mistake, and reputations are at risk with a seeming...
159K 3.8K 28
Please check out the rewrite, Mrs. Noir, Take Two. β€’β€’β€’ A marichat story. What happens when Chat says Marinette is his girlfriend when she isn't an...
272 28 13
Marinette losing hope in a career of fashion, due to her failing time at Gabriel. But fate had other plans for her, especially when one of her long...
42.1K 870 10
Completed But OLD, Criminal Au Marinette is criminal and it's simple as that. She was illegally adopted by Hawkmoth after her parents died in a tragi...