Translucent canvas |A tale of...

By dark_panther78

{WILL BE RE PUBLISHED AFTER 2 MONTHS, READ AGAIN FROM SCRATCH} โœตยซOnce upon a time, a Khalifa's daughter taugh... More

Authors note ๐Ÿ‘€
characters aesthetics ๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿ„

Ch-1|That woman

208 15 50
By dark_panther78

"Indeed I am near" (2:186)

3:00 PM

HOME

"WELCOME BACK TO BAGHDAD, COUSIN. READY TO DIVE INTO THE HEART OF INTRIGUE AND DANGER?!" Mir's gruff voice echoed through the small room. "Oh, You aren't." he answered his own question, crossing his arms.

Kasim had spent barely a month at his aunt's residence in Baghdad. Amusingly, Mir's carefree sleeping habits gave Kasim the audacious thought of involving his cousin in the storm he'd waited years to ignite. So that he wouldn't have to tolerate his snores. But he knew better than to utter such a thing to Mir.

"Cut me some slack, would you? I was just thinking about my fate," Kasim retorted, adjusting the belt of his tunic.

Mir straightened up, leaning against the brick wall adorned with intricate mandala designs. "Alright, but what's our plan for today, Akh?" he asked lazily, yawning.

Kasim scoffed, "I presume, my brother, you don't want to stroll the market shirtless and tarnish your reputation." He tossed a burgundy shirt toward Mir, his eyes briefly tracing the scar on his cousin's back. His expression turned dark with unspoken memories.

Mir caught the shirt and rolled his eyes as he put it on. "You were promoted to the ranks of a general this very morning, and you're already boasting," he pouted, causing Kasim to cringe.

"You are no longer 8!" He blurted out, making mir snicker

Composing himself, Kasim headed towards the door. He turned, his tone becoming sarcastic. "And rather than letting your words run, let your ears and eyes take the lead for today," he said, "we have places to roam"

Mir smirked, brushing off the remark. "Lead the way, General."

Souk

They stepped out into the bustling streets of Baghdad, the city was alive with the sounds and smells of the marketplace. Vendors shouted their wares, children darted through the crowds, and the air was thick with the scent of spices and roasting meat.

Kasim and Mir moved through the throng, their eyes scanning the stalls. Kasim's mind was on the rare herbs he needed, while Mir's focus was on staying alert for any signs of trouble.

As they approached a shadowy stall tucked away from the main thoroughfare, a cloaked figure caught Kasim's eye. The person was petite, moving with an unusual grace and determination. Intrigued, Kasim watched as the figure deftly exchanged coins for a small vial of dark liquid.

"Interesting," Kasim murmured, edging closer. Mir followed, curiosity piqued.

Pretending to browse a selection of dried herbs, Kasim observed the cloaked figure now examining a collection of sharp, glinting objects—spikes, darts, and small daggers—carefully selecting each item with a discerning eye.

He couldn't resist engaging. He was a moth drawn to fire. Usually he would have pretended to not see anything, but the way this woman conversed with the vendor was unsettling and unique, "You have a keen eye for weaponry," he said casually, picking up a finely crafted dagger. The vendor moved away to give them space while sparing a glance towards the woman.

The cloaked figure stiffened, then turned slightly towards him, the hood obscuring their face. "It's a necessity," came the soft reply, a voice tinged with an air of authority that belied the simplicity of the cloak.

Kasim smirked, sensing an opportunity. "Not many would venture here for such... specific items. I wonder what brings you to this part of the market?"

The figure hesitated, then slowly pushed back the hood, revealing a young woman with striking gold like brown eyes her face and hair was adorned with a Khimar. Despite her common attire, there was an unmistakable aura of sovereignty about her.

"I could ask you the same question," she replied, her gaze steady and unyielding.

Kasim chuckled softly. "Fair enough. I'm a collector of rare ingredients. This vendor has a reputation for... catering to unique needs."

The woman's eyes narrowed slightly, as if weighing his words. "And what do you do with these rare ingredients?"

He leaned in conspiratorially. "Let's just say I have a talent for creating solutions to problems. Problems that sometimes require a subtle touch."

Her expression remained unreadable, but a hint of interest flickered in her eyes. Maybe she thought Kasim was someone who dwindled with unusual works for other actively.

"Interesting. I might have use for someone with your skills." She says.

Kasim raised an eyebrow. "I'm listening."

The woman glanced around, then lowering her voice. "I need certain items, but I cannot trust my usual channels. Too many eyes, too many questions."

Kasim nodded, "Discretion is my specialty. And you are...?"

She paused. "You may call me Nazma."

The name meant nothing to him, but the shadows around her deepened, making him uneasy. "But hey, Why should I trust you?" he asked. "You come here in disguise, buying poison and weapons. What are you planning? I am a man of honor; I do not engage in underhanded activities, especially not when I don't know my clients motives." he scoffed

Nazma's eyes flashed with anger. "That is none of your concern Saiyidi honorable. Help me or don't, but do not question my motives."

Kasim stepped closer, his hand hovering near his dagger. "I make it my concern when someone like you, who looks like she has a high position in the society which can affect my people acts so snobbish."

Nazma moved swiftly, drawing a small dagger from her belt. "Stand down, or you'll regret it."

In a flash, they were engaged in a brief, intense skirmish, their movements fluid and precise. Mir, alarmed, rushed to intervene.

"Enough!" he shouted, stepping between them and pushing them apart. "This is not the place for such fights."

Nazma glared at Kasim, her breath coming in ragged gasps. Shadows seemed to dance around her, swirling and shifting as if responding to her emotions. "Consider my offer, Kasim. But be quick about it."

With a final, defiant look, Nazma disappeared into the crowd, her khimar billowing behind her like a cloak of darkness.

Kasim watched her go, a mixture of frustration and intrigue in his eyes. But something else lingered—a tingling sensation at the back of his neck, a whisper of unseen forces at play. His ability to see these jinn-like shadows had always been both a blessing and a curse, a legacy from his ancestors. "She's amusing," he said to Mir, "but I wouldn't want someone like that as my teammate."

Mir, still wary from the confrontation, spoke: "Yeah yeah you definitely wouldn't. But What should we do now?"

"Investigate her," Kasim replied, his voice low. "There's more to her than meets the eye. I sense... something unnatural about her."

As they continued their search for rare herbs, Kasim couldn't shake the feeling that this encounter with Nazma was not just a chance meeting, but the beginning of a journey into the realm of shadows and secrets, where the boundaries between the mundane and the supernatural blurred.

His mind flickered to memories of his childhood, when his grandmother would tell him stories of their ancestor, a revered scholar who made a pact with a wise jinn. The scholar had been granted the ability to see jinn, using this gift to protect his community from malevolent forces. Sometimes he wondered how much of this was true. His mind flickered to memories he'd rather forget, the unsettling feeling creeping back, a reminder of things best left undisturbed.

His mind then flickered to memories he'd rather forget, the unsettling feeling creeping back, a reminder of things best left undisturbed.

He glanced at Mir, who remained oblivious to the unease Kasim felt. He had learned to keep these feelings hidden, the burden of the sight weighing heavily. The market, bustling and vibrant, seemed darker now, shadows lingering longer than they should.

"Stay alert," Kasim muttered to Mir, his eyes scanning the crowd. "There's something off about her."

Mir looked at him quizzically but nodded, trusting his cousin's instincts. "Sure mi lord~" he jested.

Kasim just hoped his instincts, sharpened by years of dealing with unsettling sensations, would guide them safely through whatever darkness lay ahead.

To be continued...

DO NOT READ IF YOU HATE/CAN'T HANDLE:

1. Historical fantasy

2. A lil inaccurate history

3. Thrillers

4. Hate to love 

5. Marriage of convince

 6. Imperfect characters 

7. Non - practicing Muslim (for the first few chapters)

8. Jinns and and angels, cultural theories related to them etc 

 9. Blasphemy by villains 

10. Black magic 

11. Rape topic

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Malika By laiba

Historical Fiction

810K 61.3K 44
This book is a sequel to Khalifa and cannot be read as a standalone. To avoid spoilers, description and excerpt are added inside the book. โœต Started:...
101K 10.9K 63
[๐˜ฝ๐™ค๐™ค๐™  #1 ๐™ค๐™› ๐˜ฝ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง๐™จ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™š๐™ฉ ๐™Ž๐™š๐™ง๐™ž๐™š๐™จ] ๐™พ๐š—๐šŽ ๐™ฒ๐š›๐š’๐š–๐šŽ. ๐™ฐ ๐š…๐š’๐šŒ๐š๐š’๐š–. ๐™พ๐š—๐šŽ ๐™ฑ๐šŽ๐š’๐š—๐š...
Beauty In Evil By Spade_K

Mystery / Thriller

579K 15.1K 72
previously known as 'Always and Forever' ||The Secret of Joy is the Mastery of Pain|| Three children were thrown into the Dangerous world to fend for...
Khalifa By laiba

Mystery / Thriller

2M 114K 56
โœต featured ~ โOnce upon a time in Baghdad, a street girl teaches the Khalifa of the kingdom why a king needs a queen.โž โœต Started: June 5, 2021. Comp...