Do You Believe in Ghosts? (Tr...

By T-Night

The monsters are real. They roam this land. They terrorize the citizens. No one knows where they came from or... More

Missing Heroes
The Immune
Sonic the Hedgehog
Cold
Discussions
Icy
Starving
Connecting
Meditating
Hiss
Spirit
Partner
Demons
Shadow the Hedgehog
Scorched
Pressure
Problems
Try
Healing
Heartbeat
Pieces
Blue
Assassins
Crossing
Silver the Hedgehog
Bleeding
Crowned
Aware
Selfless
Light
Wounded
The Brotherhood
Nightmares
Resilience

Broken

2.3K 154 67
By T-Night

A/n: *dies*

"You need to eat something."

Espio lifted his gaze, struggling to focus on Vector's face. The crocodile pushed a plate of...something...towards the chameleon, who took it in trembling hands. Tubes connected to his arms trailed back to where (Y/n) was laying comatose on the sofa, her fur matted with blood. In a rush, Vector had deduced that Espio had the same blood type as her, but he was still recovering from his brush with death and the extensive amount of blood she needed was draining him.

"Come on," Vector murmured, taking the spoon from Espio when the chameleon struggled to lift it. "Your blood won't help her if you're dead."

"He's right," the doctor they'd found in the safe haven said, coming into the living room from the kitchen with a new pair of gloves. Charmy followed with an armful of supplies, dumping them on the ground next to (Y/n) before sitting at Espio's feet. The doctor shifted (Y/n) gently so he could sit next to her and study the puncture marks on her chest. He'd done his best to clean them and patch what he could, but he was preparing for a more extensive surgery. "What I wouldn't give for a proper lab."

"Do you need help? I can go find others," Vector said, even as he lifted the fork to Espio's mouth. "She can't die, though."

"Help would be nice," the doctor admitted. "Me and the little one can handle things here, if you would be so kind." Vector nodded, feeding Espio another bite before carefully handing the spoon to Charmy.

"Make sure he eats and drinks something," he murmured to the bee. Charmy nodded, dragging a stool over and clambering atop it.

"Here comes the airplane," he said with a weak smile. Espio humored him as best he could.

"Her mind is active, at least," the doctor said quietly, pulling a chair up to sit beside the sofa. "She hasn't mentally slipped out of this world, yet." He glanced at Espio. "Why try so hard to save her? What's so important about her?" Espio swallowed his mouthful, his gaze lingering on her face.

"Because," he murmured, "she's supposed to be the one to save us all."

~

Tails' breaths came in short desperate gasps. He was running a fever, and his eyes were clouded over. Knuckles nearly sobbed in relief when the Assassination Zone came into view, overgrown and quiet. He crossed the border from the Freezing Zone into the Assassination Zone, the temperature difference startling him. Tails groaned, locking his good hand around his blue wrist.

"Almost there," Knuckles whispered. "We're almost there. Just a little longer."

He ran another mile before he skidded to a halt, a deformed black figure standing in front of him. The fur along his spine raised and he lowered to one knee, preparing for a fight.

"Don't," the creature said, its voice distorted. It waved a bony hand to Knuckles. "Follow me."

"Who are you?" Knuckles snapped. "I'm not just going to follow you to who knows where!"

"I'll take you to the safe haven," it said. "To the Chaotix."

"Who are you?" Knuckles demanded again, even as he tightened his grip on Tails and stepped forward. It simply stared at him with glowing teal eyes, then turned and beckoned to him.

"Follow me." Knuckles glanced down at Tails, the fox's chest rising and falling shallowly, the furs wrapped around his injuries soaked red. He didn't have much of a choice. And this thing knew the Chaotix.

So he pulled Tails against his chest and followed.

~

"Anyone have medical experience? I need anyone with medical experience!"

A few heads poked out of the housing units, a couple Mobians jogging over to Vector. "Nurse," one said.

"Doctor," the other added.

"Vector?"

Vector whirled around as Blaze the Cat approached him, looking around.

"Blaze?" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"You seem to be in a rush," she said, gesturing to the Mobians behind him. "I can explain later."

"Right," he said with a nervous laugh, turning back to the others. "Follow me, you two."

They rushed back to the tower, hurrying into the living room where the doctor was messing with the tubes connected to Espio and (Y/n). Color had returned to the chameleon's cheeks and he was looking more alert, the empty plate of food on the floor next to him. Blaze sucked in a sharp breath, stepping over to the (a/t) and ghosting her hand over her forehead.

"What happened?" she whispered, settling on her knees beside the sofa. She glanced back at Vector.

"Silver had a Chaos Emerald," Vector told her. "We didn't know about it until...well, until it was too late." Blaze didn't respond, smoothing (Y/n)'s hair out of her face and resting her forehead against the (a/t)'s. The doctor beckoned to the two newcomers, breaking down her condition and his plan.

"You came from the Burning Zone, right?" Espio asked, leaning forward in his seat. Blaze lifted her head, turning to meet his gaze. She nodded. "How is Shadow?"

"Unwell," she said, turning to fully face the chameleon. "He shared a connection with (Y/n), but with her deteriorating condition, the connection has faded and left him prone to the influence of his ghost. I have no doubt Sonic is the same."

"Maybe worse," Espio mused quietly. "It's been months since he's seen her."

"It is possible," Blaze agreed. "Have you reached out to the Freezing Zone recently?"

"Haven't had the time," Vector said. "They can handle themselves, though."

"Alright, I'm going to ask unnecessary personnel to please clear the area," the head doctor announced. "We need space to work!" Blaze pushed herself to her feet, brushing her hand across Espio's shoulder as she passed on her way to the kitchen. Vector nudged Charmy after her, following close behind him.

"How is Silver?" Blaze asked once they were away from the living room.

"My guess is not good," Vector said. "The poor guy probably completely blames himself for what happened to her. If you're talking before this whole incident, though? Well...still terrible." Blaze looked down at her hands.

"I wonder if I could have...helped prevent this," she murmured. "If I had been here for him."

"What would you have done against a ghost?" Vector pointed out. "This is no one's fault. Not those heroes', not ours, no one's." He set his hand on her shoulder. "All we can do is try and survive. Try to preserve the lives we still have." She nodded, lifting her chin.

"You're right," she said resolutely. "If all we can do is try, then that is what we shall do."

~

"This is as far as I can take you," the dark figure stated, stopping several yards away from an iron gate. Several Mobians atop watchtowers flanking the gates began yelling to each other, the gates cranking open. Knuckles opened his mouth to thank his guide, but it was already gone. He turned in a confused circle, then momentarily dismissed it, rushing through the opening in the gate.

"This way," a Mobian in a tattered military uniform said, waving Knuckles down a tunnel to his left. He nodded gratefully, jogging down the tunnel. He stumbled when he reached the exit, stunned by the structures stretching before him. A weak groan from Tails snapped him out of his stupor, Knuckles jumping down the steps two at a time. Several wary Mobians spotted him, rushing out to meet him, someone calling for a doctor. The endless running and lack of nutrition caught up to Knuckles in a flash, bringing him to his knees. Someone gently pried Tails from his grasp, his vision darkening around the edges.

"Get him some water!" someone shouted. Knuckles saw a figure rushing to approach him, but that was all he saw before everything went dark.

~

Vector paced restlessly in the kitchen, Blaze sitting on the floor with her head resting against the cabinets, Charmy curled up next to her. They all startled as a knock sounded on the door outside the kitchen, Vector waving for the other two to stay put as he hurried to the front door.

"There's someone here you're gonna want to see," the Mobian outside said the instant the door was open. Vector glanced back into the living room where the doctors were hovering over (Y/n), Espio nursing a glass of water. There wasn't anything for them to do for her right now. He turned back to the Mobian.

"Alright, we'll come see." He quickly informed Blaze and Charmy, and the three left the tower, following the stranger.

They reached the first housing quadrant where a crowd had gathered. Vector shoved through, halting at the sight. Knuckles lay unconscious on the ground, someone coaxing water down his throat while another cluster of Mobians huddled around another limp figure. Blaze bent down next to Knuckles while Vector approached the second group, gently nudging one aside so he could see.

"Tails," he breathed, dropping down next to the fox. A pile of bloody makeshift bandages lay beside Tails, his fur matted with blood and sweat. Four ugly red gashes marred his chest.

"Everyone, step aside!" someone yelled, the crowd scattering. Another Mobian, a leopard, dropped a medical kit next to Tails, grabbing a bottle of clear liquid and pouring it carefully over the gashes.

"What is happening?" Blaze whispered as she came to stand beside Vector. He shook his head, stumbling away from the fox. "Everything is falling apart."

"He's coming to!" someone called from beside Knuckles. Blaze and Vector shuffled back towards him, both startling slightly as Knuckles bolted upright, snarling at the faces hovering over him. They all scrambled backwards and he began stripping off his layers.

"Where's Tails?" he snapped.

"Right there, right there," Vector said, raising his hands to calm Knuckles. The echidna took a step forward, then stumbled, dropping to his knees and pressing a hand to his stomach. Everyone took a step back as he heaved, though only clear bile came out.

"Here," a tabby said quietly, offering a glass of water. Knuckles looked up at the tabby, then hesitantly took the glass, though as soon as the water touched his tongue, he gulped it down in desperate gasps.

"Knuckles," Blaze said, dropping to her knees before him as the tabby ran off to refill the glass. "What happened in the Freezing Zone?"

"No idea," Knuckles replied, shaking his head and swiping at his lips. "But something's been up with Sonic, and the monsters just came back all of a sudden. They hadn't been around much since (Y/n)'s visit." He looked up at Vector. "Is she here?" The crocodile nodded.

"She's not doing too good though," he said quietly. "She had a nasty run in with Silver's ghost." The tabby returned, and Knuckles drained the second glass of water.

"Someone get him something to eat," Blaze said, several Mobians darting off into their houses. Knuckles crawled forward until he could see Tails, the doctor currently beginning to stitch up the first gash.

"Is he going to be okay?" the echidna asked softly.

"Only time will tell," the doctor replied. "Whatever got him just barely missed his heart, but he's lost a lot of blood. I'd recommend a transfusion once I get these stitched together." Knuckles stared down at the fox, a mess of emotions on his face. Blaze tentatively reached forward, her fingers brushing the blue stump of Tails' hand.

"Sonic?" she asked quietly. Knuckles nodded.

"By nasty run in," he started, looking over at Vector, "do you mean he hurt her?" Vector lowered his gaze. "How badly?"

"We don't know if she'll make it," the crocodile admitted. Knuckles hesitated, then forced himself to his feet, limping away from the group. Vector stood to follow him, but Blaze placed her hand on his arm, shaking her head. Knuckles let out a frustrated shout, punching the cavern wall and sending cracks spiderwebbing through the stone.

"We were so close!" he yelled, turning to slump against the wall. Vector clenched his hands into fists. Blaze closed her eyes, tucking her chin to her chest.

"I should have done a better job of protecting her," Vector whispered. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Blaze reminded him. "Remember, there is only so much you can control." She turned her gaze back to Knuckles as the echidna pressed his hands to his head and rested his forehead against his knees. "We must hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

The worst? Vector thought as he surveyed the sullen group surrounding them, taking in their deteriorating situation. He let out a hysterical laugh. I think the worst is already here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345 47 15
A certain two-tailed fox gets a vision and flies to a planet that somehow gives him a deja-vu feeling. At the same time, a new lethal threat lurks in...
7.1K 192 11
I look around and feel a really bad headache. "Where am I?..." I look down and see my hands full of blood. " How?! "I roll my eyes and try to get the...
16.3K 707 10
You're the daughter of a demon. He's always been a good father to you, though has always sheltered you from the world, leaving you curious about what...
17.8K 389 19
Somewhere in a kingdom, called the Rose Kingdom, their lives a young pink princess, known as princess Amy Rose. Having a lot of friends Amy has a gre...