Executive Pursuit

Par Andrea_Laurence

Copyright © 2012 by Harlequin Books S.A. Three weeks. That's all the time Penelope Hart has left as the White... Plus

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FOUR

73.3K 1.4K 37
Par Andrea_Laurence

In three weeks, Penelope Hart will quit her job as the White House Social Secretary. Which means the president's son has three weeks to make his move. He's waited for years, and nothing will get in his way.

Penelope couldn't return to the White House in her velvet gown to pick up her car. No one should have to make the Walk of Shame on the same carpets Jacqueline Kennedy once traveled.

She couldn't take the chance that someone would see her slink back the morning after. And she definitely couldn't risk them seeing her get out of Kellan's car. Even with only a few weeks left in the administration, someone on the staff would rat her out in an instant if he thought it would earn him brownie points.

At the moment, she sat on the edge of Kellan's bed, wrapped in a bath towel. He was still in the bathroom shaving. She'd thought she could keep reality at bay until she returned to get her car, but it was starting to creep in.

She'd slept with Kellan. She'd broken the number one rule in Mrs. Ramsey's book. And if she was honest with herself, she didn't feel remotely guilty about it. She was a grown woman. In any other job, her supervisor wouldn't have a say or an interest in her personal life.

Kellan hadn't promised anything other than the night they'd spent together, but she wanted more. She just wanted it three weeks from now. After she got that recommendation letter and packed up her desk, she could do whatever she wanted. Of course, then she'd be on her way to Atlanta and her new job. And he'd be here. There never seemed to be a good time for the two of them.

She liked Kellan. She would have feelings for him if she allowed herself to go there. But she didn't dare take that risk. Last night had opened up a Pandora's box full of emotions that she wasn't ready to deal with yet. She'd locked that box up tight six years ago and hid it away on a shelf.

Now that it was open, what was she going to do?

"I don't think I have much in the way of clothes that would work for you." Kellan's voice echoed from the tiled bath and traveled into the bedroom. "Do you want me to run you by your place first to change, and then take you to your car?"

That was a good idea. If someone questioned why she'd left her car overnight, she could say she'd overindulged in champagne and called a cab. "Yes, please."

"Can I take you out to breakfast before we go back to the Big House?"

Penelope couldn't stifle the giggle his words drew out of her. In college, he'd always referred to the Pennsylvania Avenue mansion as the Big House. She'd forgotten about the nickname until that moment. Then the reality of his question sunk in and the smile faded from her face. "I don't know, Kellan."

He rounded the corner, his own towel wrapped low around his hips. His tanned skin was still moist from steam, his face slightly pink from a hot shave. He ran his fingers through the wet strands of his dark hair and planted his hands at his waist. He'd look unbelievably sexy if it weren't for the annoyed expression lining his face.

"Someone might see us together, right?"

Penelope sighed. "It's not two in the morning, Kellan. We're going to run into someone if we go out."

"So?"

"So..." her voice trailed off. "I'm not ready for the world to know what's going on. I don't even know what is going on. I'm leaving in a few weeks. It's not as though we're involved-"

Kellan crossed the room, taking Penelope's hand to pull her up from the bed and interrupt her train of thought. His arms wrapped protectively around her waist, pulling her against him.

"We're seriously involved, Penelope." He said the words very matter-of-factly, leaving no room for her to argue with him. "As far as I'm concerned we're picking up right where we left off. No matter where you might be living in a few weeks. And I want everyone to know it."

Part of Penelope was relieved that this was more than just a one-night stand to him. She wasn't the loose sort of girl that Mrs. Ramsey would accuse her of being if she found out about them. She just couldn't help giving in to him. Kellan was her weakness, and she was tired of fighting it.

But the other part of her questioned what he meant by everyone. "I really like you, Kellan. And I want to be with you. In public. But I can't. Not yet."

"Why do you care so much about what my mother thinks? It's not as though I'm such a bad catch. Sure, I had my wild streak, but I've grown up a lot. I'm a lawyer. I'm gainfully employed and have a nice house. I'm good looking and know how to treat a lady. My dad is the President of the United States. That might impress some women."

Penelope smiled reluctantly and stood up on her toes to kiss him. "I assure you I am impressed. Everything about you is exceptional. But I don't want to leave this job on a sour note. Even if your mother wrote my recommendation, my entire experience there would be tainted by these last few weeks. And what if..." her voice trailed off. She wasn't sure she could voice the last thoughts.

"If what?"

"What if we...last? I know I'm jumping ahead quite a bit here, but what if you and I were to stay together? Maybe get engaged at some point, like we talked about in college? This isn't just some job I'd potentially be ruining. She could be my mother-in-law one day. I don't want her holding on to any disappointment or resentment where I'm concerned."

Kellan watched her speak with curious blue eyes, but didn't respond for a moment. "You would marry me?" he said at last with a sly smile.

Penelope sighed and tried to push out of his grasp. He was twisting her words and missing the point. "Kellan, you know what I mean. I don't want my mother-in-law to hate me."

"My mother could never hate you, Penny. I wouldn't allow it. And despite how she fusses, I think she would be relieved to see me settled down and happy with such a sensible, talented woman. And if she isn't, I just don't care. This relationship is a two-party system. My mother is not on the ballot."

"But I care." Why couldn't he understand how much this meant to her?

Kellan watched her a moment before nodding with a frown. "Fine. This will just be between you and me until Inauguration Day. But the minute Ted Morrow takes the Oath of Office, I'm kissing you in public."

She could live with that. "Okay. Inauguration Day," she agreed. "And not a moment before."

"So does this mean no breakfast?"

"Not unless you're cooking it," she said with a smile.

***

This had been the longest week Kellan had ever experienced. Having Penelope back in his life and in his bed was nice, but the sneaking around was harder than he'd thought. He couldn't take her out to a romantic dinner or a show. No late-night strolls along the National Mall to see the lights shimmering on the Reflecting Pool. He couldn't mention her to anyone, even his closest friends.

He'd done his fair share of stealthy activities behind his parents' backs when he was younger. They considered him a handful, and that was only because of the things they'd caught him doing. But he didn't like hiding this. He didn't want to hide Penelope like she was some shameful secret.

Perhaps he had it backward and he was the shameful secret. That didn't make it any better, especially knowing they were hiding mainly from his own parents.

Kellan moved quietly down the hallway of the East Wing, keeping his eyes peeled for his mother. It was quiet today. Unusually so. He passed the calligraphers' room and made his way to Penelope's office. It was dangerously close to the Office of the First Lady. Penelope would be furious to find him here, but he couldn't stay away. She'd had to work late the night before, cancelling their plans, and he was missing her something fierce. If he ran into his mother, he'd think up some reason he'd come to see her instead.

One of the secretaries came down the hallway toward him. She was younger, smiling widely at him. He wasn't sure he'd ever met this one before. She was cute. Just the kind of girl he would've seduced to annoy his mother back before he'd met Penelope. Today, the tiny staffer registered in his mind only as a source of information. She couldn't hold a candle to Penny.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Ramsey. Are you looking for your mother?"

"Yes," he said without hesitation. Of course he was. Why else would he be down here? "Is she in her office?"

"No." She shook her head. "I believe she's at a local elementary school reading to children today. I'm not sure when she'll get back."

"Okay, thanks. I'll leave her a note then."

The secretary nodded and continued down the hall. Feeling more confident knowing his mother was out for the day, he moved faster. He rounded the corner to Penelope's office and found her hunched over her desk.

"Hello, Penny."

Penelope sat bolt upright in her chair, her eyes widening with panic when she realized who was standing in her doorway. She leapt up from her chair and grabbed his arm, tugging him inside and closing the door behind them.

"Can't wait to get your hands on me, eh?"

"What are you doing here?" she asked in a rough whisper, apparently not interested in a little office amore.

It was a shame. Penelope looked very sexy in her tight black pencil skirt and fitted red sweater. Though knowing she was wearing those little thong panties beneath her skirt was enough to make him want to take her on the expensive and well-organized desk behind them.

"I came to say hello."

Penelope frowned. "Hello. Now get out of here before your mother comes back."

"The lady in the hallway said she'd be out most of the day at some elementary school."

She shook her head. "It doesn't matter. Someone might tell her you were here talking to me."

"These days of hiding are going to kill me." Kellan backed Penelope against her desk. His arms wrapped around her waist. She struggled, but it was no use. He would have his way. "I almost wish my mother would walk in on us right now. Then we could just confess and stop playing these games."

"Don't you dare say that." Penelope avoided his gaze, keeping her eyes firmly fixed on her office door. "It's all well and good for you, but my new job is on the line here."

"She hasn't written your letter yet?"

"You know the First Lady. She's going to wait until the last minute in case I completely lose my mind on the last day of the administration. She's holding it over my head."

That was true. His mother was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Besides, if she gave the recommendation early, Penelope might slack off the last few days. Didn't his mother know her employee at all? "I'm surprised that fancy school hasn't asked for it already."

"They have. Repeatedly. I've had to tell them how busy she is and that I'll fax it as soon as I can. I don't know why they're in such a hurry. The position won't start until the fall semester, but they want me there all summer getting acclimated."

"You mean indoctrinated."

"It's a private school, not a cult, Kellan."

He shrugged. It was all the same to him. He'd gone to his share of private schools. He'd gotten kicked out of at least three of them. He couldn't imagine wanting to work at one every day. The kids were mostly snotty and spoiled. They would ostracize the poor children attending on a scholarship. The teachers had to back down if a powerful parent or donor disagreed with any of their decisions.

No, private schools weren't for him. And they weren't for Penny, either.

"Wouldn't you rather teach children that need you to make their lives better?" Kellan asked.

"What do you mean?"

"'Good manners will often take people where neither money nor education will take them,'" he recited. "I think that's how the quote goes. Wouldn't you feel more fulfilled by teaching kids who don't have the money or education and helping them to make more of themselves?"

Penelope frowned at him. "That sounds very noble, Kellan, but I don't recall seeing that job posted anywhere, unlike the one at Jefferson."

"But what if there was a job like that?"

"Kellan, please. I don't have time to consider cryptic hypothetical scenarios. I have the real Social Secretaries' reunion luncheon tomorrow. I have to get everything arranged in addition to preparing the notebook for my successor. I have to pack up my office.... These last few weeks are going to be hectic."

Kellan could see the frustration starting to line her forehead. He supposed he'd pushed her far enough for today. But he'd planted the seeds in her mind. Maybe in time he could convince her that coming to work with him would be preferable to the Jefferson Academy. "Okay, fine. Just one kiss and I'll be gone."

"Just one. And no hand roaming," Penelope specified with a sly curve to her lips. "I mean it."

He'd see about that. She talked big, but the moment he touched her, she was a purring kitten in his lap. With his palms planted firmly on her waist, he leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

Instantly, he was drawn into her, like a tractor beam. It no longer mattered where they were or who was watching. There was only the divine pleasure of having Penelope in his arms.

He knew she felt the same way. There wasn't the slightest complaint when his hands started drifting over the soft knit of her sweater and slick fabric of her skirt. Instead, her tongue slipped into his mouth, exploring him as her arms tugged him closer.

Kellan wasn't about to give this up again. Not for his mother. Not for some private school. Penelope was his, now and forever. And he would tell her so the moment he could pull himself away from her luscious mouth.

He was so involved he didn't turn when he heard the click of the doorknob. Unfortunately, the shriek that followed it could not be ignored.

"What on earth is going on in here?"

The First Lady was supposed to be away for the afternoon! How will Penelope recover? Don't miss the fifth and final chapter of Executive Pursuit!

If you're enjoying this sexy, romantic story, you won't want to miss Andrea Laurence's SAYING YES TO THE BOSS the first installment in the Dynasties: The Newports miniseries, available July 2016! You can also sign up for Andrea's newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/e3O5k

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

718 34 19
It's been two years since the United States waved their white flag. Two years since the Great War ended. Two years since the politics-ruined veins of...
8.7K 534 59
(FALCON FAMILY SERIES- BOOK 5 FINALE) Meet Shawn Falcon, the sole heir of the Falcon family, where life seems to have been served to him on a silver...
260K 8.4K 36
a simple yet beautiful hard-working girl falls in love with simply the wrong but the right guy at the same time, jasmine white is a 24 years old wom...
9.5M 457K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...