The DragonBorn

Rubyrose645 által

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. The four elements of the world, all work together in harmony for the benefit of thos... Több

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 43

Chapter 34

722 29 1
Rubyrose645 által

In center of the Fire Nation, the people who ruled over fire watched in anticipation for the return of their missing royal Prince and his younger sister, the crown jewel of entire Nation. Two women stood above the people of the Fire Nation, both old yet loyal. Twin sisters that were servants of the previous and current Fire Lord.

"Your Princess Azula, clever and beautiful, disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom's capital." One of the twins said.

"In Ba Sing Se, she found her brother Zuko, and together, they faced the Avatar and the defective DragonBorn, who turned her hand against the Fire Nation." The second Twin said.

"And the Avatar fell, and the Earth Kingdom fell!" They both shouted.

"Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city."

"They went to Ba Sing Se's great walls..."

"And brought them down!"

"The armies of the Fire Nation surged through the wall and swarmed over Ba Sing Se, securing our victory."

"Now the heroes have returned home." Azula emerged from the flames, grinning out of pride from her victory in Ba Sing Se.

"Your princess, Azula!" The people cheered loudly at the sight of their beloved Fire Nation Princess.

"And after three long years, your prince has returned!"

"Zuko!"

Zuko walked out in front of the crowd, but even though he felt like he should be happy about finally being home, finally being seen as the crown Prince he always wanted to have back. But this wasn't the case. He still felt empty, like something was missing. And he knew exactly what was missing.

He looked to his side almost upon instinct, expecting to see his closest friend by his side with a big smile and saying how proud she was of him. But now, she wasn't there. She left him. And he betrayed her.

~~~~~

On the deck of their stolen ship, Aang and everyone else on ship gathered for breakfast and Sokka began to explain everything that happened after Ba Sing Se.

"After what happened in Ba Sing Se, we had to get you to safety." Sokka started, "We flew back to Chameleon Bay, where we found my father and the other water tribe men. The Earth King decided he wanted to travel the world in disguise, so he set off alone."

"Not completely alone." Zeraphina added and chuckled, remembering that the Earth King walking away with his bear, Bosco.

"Soon, the bay was overrun with Fire Nation ships." Sokka continued, "Rather than fight them all, we captured a single ship and made it our disguise."

Sokka took a map and pointed out their previous travels through the ocean, "Since then, we've been traveling west. We crossed through the Serpent's Pass a few days ago. We've seen a few Fire Nation ships, but none have bothered us."

Aang looked unsure and confused, "So, what now?" He said.

"We've been working on a modified version of the invasion plan." Hakoda said.

"It's Sokka's invasion plan." Katara corrected.

"Right, Sokka's invasion plan." Hakoda repeated, "We won't be able to mount a massive invasion without the Earth King's armies, but the solar eclipse will still leave the Fire Nation vulnerable."

"So we're planning a smaller invasion. Just a ragtime team of our friends and allies from around the Earth Kingdom. We already ran into Pipsqueak and The Duke."

"Good to see you again, Aang." Pipsqueak said while The Duke was riding on his shoulders.

"And the best part is, the eclipse isn't even our biggest advantage." Sokka said and leaned closer to Aang, "We have a secret: You."

"Me?" Aang questioned.

"Yep. The whole world thinks your dead. Isn't that great?!"

Aang's face went from confused to complete shock. He walked over to the railings of the ship and stared out at the ocean for just a couple of minutes before turning back to the group. Even Zeraphina was stunned at how casually Sokka stated that the world believed their only hope and ray of light in this war was dead.

"He could've put it a bit more gently, don't you agree?" Zeraphina thought.

"Perhaps, but in this situation, I believe that it was better for the Avatar to know straight away. Keeping the truth from him for too long will allow to make more risky moves when the plan rests on him staying hidden from the public eye." Hakuryu replied.

"But in his condition..." Zeraphina couldn't finish her thought as Aang started shouting.

"The world thinks I'm dead?! How is that good news? That's terrible." He shouted.

"No, it's great. It means the Fire Nation won't be hunting us anymore. And even better, they won't be expecting you on the day of Black Sun." Sokka continued to stated positively.

"No, no, no, no, no. You have no idea. This is so messed up." Just then, the group heard a foghorn blaring in the distance.

"I'll handle this. The Avatar is back." Aang grabbed his staff and spun it around, opening the wings, but the strain caused him to groan in pain. Aang didn't pay much attention to the pain and tried yet again to take off and fight.

"Aang, wait." Katara stopped him, "Remember, they don't know we're not Fire Nation."

Aang wanted to fight the Fire Nation, but with his injuries and the pain made him reluctantly close up his glider.

"Everyone, just stay calm." Hakoda said as he and Bato put on their helmets, "Bato and I will take care of this."

Pipsqueak and The Duke quickly covered Appa with a large tarp and everyone else hid below the ship's deck.

"I hate not being able to do anything." Aang grumbled.

"Hopefully, you won't need to." Toph said.

Before hiding with the others, Zerpahina ran over to Bato and Hakoda.

"Remember, say nothing more than what's necessary. Don't give them your names, say that you're transporting cargo from the Eastern fleet. They'll believe that there was a miscommunication and dismiss it without a fight. With the chaos going on in Ba Sing Se, they won't have time to ask too many questions."

The two nodded and Zeraphina ran to hide with the others. Soon, the two ships stopped beside each other, and the crew from the opposite ship crossed over and stood in front of Hakoda and Bato.

"Commander." The crossing Commander said as Hakoda bowed at the title, "Why are you off course? All Western fleet ships are supposed to be moving toward Ba Sing Se to support to the occupation."

"Actually, we're from the Eastern fleet. We have orders to deliver some cargo." Hakoda answered.

"Ah, Eastern fleet. Well, nice of Admiral Chan to let us know he was sending one of his ships our way."

"I'm sure Admiral Chan meant no disrespect, sir." Bato said.

"I mean, how hard is it to write a quick note and send a hawk our way?"

"Next time we'll send two hawks to be sure you get the message." Hakoda and Bato bowed and walked away, but as they did, Toph suddenly shot out from her hiding place.

"They know!" She shouted and bent the metal to make the metal plank the soldiers were standing on shake and fall into the water. Katara bent the water between their two ships and pushed the enemy ship away before their ship pushed off at full speed.

It didn't take long for the ship to catch up with the group, fireballs being flung at them and hitting the ship on the side.

"Load the Toph!" Toph said and Pipsqueak put down a large boulder. Toph shot the boulder at the enemy ship and took out one of the catapults. Toph continued to hit the ship and the flaming boulders that tried to hit their ship.

All of a sudden, the enemy ship shot a harpoon at the group's ship, making it go through the bottom of the ship and started to flood the bottom levels of the ship. Katara quickly froze the water and closed the large hole.

"I'm gonna give us some cover!" Katara shouted.

"Katara, let me help." Zeraphina said and held Katara's hand.

The two girls lifted their hands into the air and steam rose from the ocean, the water rising with Katara's waterbending abilities and Zeraphina adding heat to the water to make the steam even denser. And yet even with the distraction, the Fire Nation soldiers continued shoot their fireballs at the team. They still continued to sail and made it out of steam cloud, the fire Nation ship still attacking without mercy or hesitance.

"How we doing?" Toph asked.

"Things couldn't get much worse." Sokka said, and the universe answered as a large serpent emerged from the water, "The universe just loves proving me wrong, doesn't it?"

"You make it too easy." Toph retorted.

The serpent was suddenly hit by the fireball and raged at the enemy ship, wrapping its body around the ship.

"Thank you, The Universe." Sokka said.

~~~~~

Eventually, the group docked at a Fire Nation port town and laid low until nightfall. Zeraphina excused herself to her room to think about the invasion plan and how she would play part in it. Being a Firebender, she would be vulnerable to the eclipse and it would be possible for her to lose her firebending abilities during that time.

However, there must have surely been solar eclipses in the past, and there have been no record of any DragonBorns losing their firebending powers at any time in history. So it could be just as possible that she wouldn't lose her power.

"You are so confused, child." Hakuryu said, "Tell me what troubles your mind so terribly?"

"You already know the answer to that, my friend." Zeraphina replied, "There are so many factors in this invasion plan that I have to contemplate. My presence in the Fire Nation will surely bring quite the uproar, for both our allies and our enemies. And will my power even work during the eclipse? Will I even be of any help in such a crucial moment?"

Hakuryu chuckled, "There is no need to fret about such things like your power. You know the limitations and strengths of your kind. Not even the spirit of the sun Agni could diminish your flame. In fact, he is quite fearful of it because he could never control it. White flames are the purest of them all, Zeraphina. They will never be put out simply by the sun being blocked by the moon."

Zeraphina smiled slightly at her friend's words. Hakuryu had never lied to her before, why would they lie to her know of all times? All of a sudden, Zeraphina felt a heavy sensation in her chest. Something in the back of her mind told her to check her flames for a glimpse into the future. She did as she felt and cupped her palms to see the future, in the fire, she saw Aang in the water, a look of despair on his face.

"He didn't." She gasped and rushed out of her room to find Aang's. When she looked inside his room, all that was left was an empty bed and a torn banner left abandoned on the floor.

"Aang..." She whispered, "He can't do this alone, and he knows it."

"He is a young boy still on the path towards his destiny, but he is very much hurt, both physically and emotionally."

"Can we not help him?" 

"There might be a way for you to speak to him."

"How?"

"Just concentrate. You did it before. In the crystal catacombs. Allow me to do this for you."

Zeraphina didn't know what her friend was talking about, but she trusted them with her whole being. She sat on the edge of the bed and closed her eyes to better concentrate. Soon, she felt her body become light as her mind faded away from herself.

~~~~~

Zuko, the proud Prince of the Fire Nation, finally stood in front of his father with his head bowed low. 

Fire Lord Ozai, ruler of the Fire Nation, circled around his son with a proud look on his face. But not a proud grin as one would see on a father's face in front of his once banished son. It was far more sinister.

"I am proud of you, Prince Zuko." Ozai said, "I am proud because you and your sister conquered Ba Sing Se. I am proud because, when your loyalty was tested by your treacherous Uncle you did the right thing and captured the traitor. And I am proudest of all of your most legendary accomplishments. You slayed the Avatar and destroyed the DragonBorn, Zeraphina."

Zuko's eyes widened at the claim, "What did you hear?" He asked, terrified about the last claim about Zeraphina.

"Azula told me everything. She said she was amazed and impressed with your power and ferocity at the moment of truth. You slayed with Avatar with your own two hands, and when the DragonBorn turned her loyalty to the enemy, you snuffed out her fire once and for all. At least now, I don't have to keep that silly little promise to her. It was far too taxing for me to pretend that I would honor it."

"A promise?" Zuko questioned.

"Yes, you are older now and now that everything has been put to rest, you deserve to know about a little promise that I made to the DragonBorn three years ago." Ozai smirked at his son, "Three years ago, when you foolishly challenged me to an Agni Kai, you lost consciousness, she challenged me to the same battle. I beat her and made her a deal before you were sent on your mission to capture the Avatar. If you were able to capture the Avatar, then not only would you be granted return to the Fire Nation as its rightful prince and heir to the throne, but I would allow her to have her greatest wish."

"What was her greatest wish?" Zuko asked.

"Her greatest wish for her to return to her family, but to also have her stay by your side, not just as the DragonBorn, but as your bride."

Zuko's eyes widened even more.

"She had strong feelings for you even from the beginning, it seems. The DragonBorn is not supposed to have feelings, and yet this feeling allowed me to control her even more than any other Fire Lord before me. However, if you were unable to return with the Avatar, then this promise would be terminated, and I could do as I wish with her. I could have gone so far as to marry her off to another man, or perhaps break her and turn her into the ultimate soldier that would obey my every command no matter what I say. But, now that she has been eliminated, there is no need to dwell on such ideas and I can rest much easier."

Zuko was stunned by his father's words. He didn't know whether to feel relieved that Zeraphina was sill alive and away from his father, or angry at what could have happened to Zeraphina if she returned with him.

But one thing was for sure: He wanted her to be safe, and if that meant he had to keep up with his sister's lie, then he would do so and take pride knowing that the girl he cared for was still alive somewhere in the world.

~~~~~

Aang, floating in the water on a small piece of stray wood, looked down in his fear and sorrow. He wanted the world to know that he didn't abandon them again, but with the news of his supposed death and the crucial invasion plan, there was no way he could do anything.

The rain poured heavily on his head, the waves threatening to take him to the bottom of the sea.

"I'm not gonna make it." He said, "I failed."

When the lightning crashed, a familiar figure appeared in front of him. His past life, Avatar Roku of the Fire Nation.

"Roku?"

"You haven't failed, Aang." Roku stated.

"But everyone thinks I'm dead again. They think I've abandoned them, and I'm losing this war. I'm letting the whole world down."

"If anyone is to blame for the state of the world, it is me." Roku said, "I should have seen this war coming, and prevented it."

"There is no way you couldn't foreseen such a tragedy" A familiar voice said from behind Aang.

Aang turned around and saw Zeraphina floating behind him, dressed in a gown of white fire and her hair fluttering with small sparks of flame. She smiled down at Aang and bent to her knees as if she was on solid ground.

"Zeraphina?"

She smiled at the boy, "Avatar Aang. You are not at fault, if anything, it is the Fire Nation's fault for desiring more power than they already had. They're greediness and pride will be their downfall, and you will end this war, Aang."

"The DragonBorn is right, Aang." Roku added, "You inherited my problems, and my mistakes. But I believe you are destined to redeem me, and save the world."

"I don't know."

Again, another old friend came to see him.

"You already saved the world." Yue said as she shone from the moon as it pierced through the stormy clouds.

"And you'll save the world again. But you can't give up."

The rain stopped and the light shone on Aang, lighting up a new sense of determination in his eyes as he climbed onto the driftwood and raised the water behind him to create a wave to take him away.

Zeraphina smiled at Aang and turned to Yue.

"Yue, lady of the moon and protector of our world's night. Please, help him. Continue to watch out for him."

Yue nodded and gave her a gentle smile, "Of course."

Yue used the light of the moon to help raise the waves for Aang, sending him off even faster until he reached a volcanic island. He walked onto the shore and lay there, but before he closed his eyes to sleep, he saw Zeraphina sitting beside him.

"Zeraphina... what's happened to you?" He asked.

Zeraphina chuckled, "Just rest. I'll explain later on."

Aang took her advice and rested until the sun rose the next day. When he woke up, it was to Momo licking his face. He groaned and sat up just as Katara, Sokka, Toph and Zeraphina all rushed to his side, grateful that he was all right.

The group hugged each other tightly, Appa and Momo joining in the embrace.

"I have so much to do." Aang said as they parted.

"I know, but you'll have our help." Katara said.

"You didn't think you could get out of training just by coming to the Fire Nation, did you?" Toph joked.

"What about the invasion?"

"We'll join up with my dad and the Invasion force on the dat of the eclipse." Sokka said.

Zeraphina glanced out at the water and saw Aang's glider floating in the ocean, destroyed and unusable.

"Aang, it's you glider." She said and handed it to him.

"That's okay." Aang said as they all stood up, "If somebody saw this, it would give away my identity. It's better for now that no one knows I'm alive."

Aang jumped onto one of the rocks and planted his glider into it. Immediately, the glider burst into flames, saying goodbye to the past and making way for a new future.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

1M 42.9K 31
Cover art by depino on DeviantArt Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony, but everything changed when the Fire...
10.3K 501 63
You know the four elements. But... How exactly were they brought into existence? Found in the Water Tribe and sent to the Fire Nation, you'd run into...
69.6K 1.2K 41
| zuko {a:tla} 1 water & fire don't usually mix but maybe this time it does - in which the daughter of a water tribe general is taken by the prince...
92.9K 3.6K 27
❝I want to tell you the tale of a girl frozen in ice and time, of how she⎯and her friends⎯were able to save this world, and bring balance back to us...