Year 6 (First Draft) #Wattys2...

By 32_books

The Year Rules were simple. Year 1- Crawl Year 2- Walk Year 3- Talk Year 4-Start learning second... More

-Synopsis-
-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Chapter 34-
-Chapter 35-
-Chapter 36-
-Chapter 37-
-Chapter 38-
-Chapter 39-
-Chapter 40-
-Chapter 41-
-Chapter 42-
-Chapter 43-
-Chapter 44-
-Chapter 45-
-Chapter 46-
-Chapter 47- Final Chapter

-Chapter 17-

7.6K 472 139
By 32_books

I pull my hair up into a tight bun, and look down at Amelia. I think back to the day I first saw her, less than a week ago, and it's hard to believe all the things that have happened in the last week. I pull a few loose strands of my hair behind my ear and smile. In less than an hour my plan will be under way. The thought sends shivers through me, pulling me into a strange sense of euphoria and worry. My blood turns cold. I sound just like the Government. I try to place that thought far away, but my mind won't let me.

Amelia whimpers, and I kneel down beside her. Tears well up in her eyes, and I feel a sense of relief run through me at the thought that runs across my mind. Soon she will have a real home. I will find someone who can help me take care of her. She'll be happy, and she'll grow up just like any child should. Even if I don't do this for me tonight, I need to do it for her. She deserves to live her own life, not a life her mother's choices placed on her.

I sigh, pulling her up into my arms.

"I'm going to be gone for a while," I whisper against her fuzzy head. "I'm going to have Tommy watch you again."

I feel a strange sense of obligation to this little girl. The minute I knew her mother was dead I felt a need to protect her. It is that obligation that helps me now, to know that I am doing something right for someone who deserves something. Amelia deserves a life, and I don't mean on the streets.

A knock on my door pulls my attention back to the present, and I reach for Amelia's box. I set her down inside of it carefully, careful to keep my hand behind her head. Her fists shake and she looks like she is close to crying. I walk out my door, and gasp when I see Charlie there.

"Sorry," He says rubbing the back of his neck. He looks down at his feet, avoiding my gaze. I try to push Kane's words out of my mind as I walk with Charlie down the hall.

"Tommy said he'd be happy to watch Amelia," Charlie says. "He seems to be attached to that little one."

I smile, looking down at her.

"I can't blame him. She's pretty easy to get attached to," I admit.

"She's not the only one," He murmurs, but I am almost certain I imagined it. My paranoia- thanks to Kane- is getting out of control. I wish he hadn't breathed a word to me about Charlie. It wasn't his right to do so anyway. I remind myself to keep myself in check. The plan is almost in motion; I can't ruin it now.

"I'm sorry," He says quietly. I realize he's apologizing for his last statement, and I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Don't be," I say, sounding calmer than I imagined possible. My heart feels like a hammer, solidly beating against my ribcage.

"We need to begin loading soon," Charlie says. "Kane wants us to be there at exactly six."

I nod, a sick feeling settling in my stomach. Charlie pats my shoulder then turns, walking toward Paul's workshop. I feel like I should go there too, but I don't. Instead, I walk back to my room, pick Amelia up- box and all- and head out to find Tommy. The main room is crowded with men, and it takes me a few minutes to locate Tommy, sitting in a corner. His shoulders are shaking, and for a minute I think I see him crying, but the he straightens and any trace of sadness I may have seen has vanished, replaced by a bright and cheery smile.

"How long do I need to watch her?" He asks, his big brown eyes wide.

"Only until we get back. Is that alright?" I asked, brushing a small curl out of his eyes.

"Yes. I'll watch her."

My LR-5 vibrates in my pocket and I jump, reaching for it.

NEWS: SOCIAL GATHERING-- TONIGHT AT 6-- IDS NEEDED AT THE DOOR-- SOCIAL GATHERING--

I slide my LR-5 back into my pocket and smile at Tommy. He has a small look of awe and I laugh. I know he's seen an LR-5 before.

"I have to go get on the truck," I say, sliding Amelia's box towards Tommy. "Take good care of her, okay?"

Tommy nods.

I walk back into the hallway and head towards Paul's workshop. A door, swings out, and I jump, nearly running face first into it.

"I'm sorry," Kane says. "I didn't expect to have to battle traffic."

"Yeah, I had to drop Amelia off with Tommy," I say, feeling the need to explain myself.

"Tommy's a good kid," Kane says. I nod, jumping when my LR-5 goes off again.

"Excuse me for a moment," I say, grabbing my LR-5 out of my pocket.

NEWS: ANOTHER BODY FOUND-- KANE PORTER'S ACCOMPLICE-- FELIX WEST-- IN OTHER NEWS-- CHARLIE WONG SHOT-- KILLED THIS MORNING-- ANOTHER BODY FOUND--

"What?" I exclaimed.

"Saw the News?" Kane asks, a smirk gracing his mouth.

"Yeah," I say. "Why'd they lie about Charlie?"

Kane stops walking, and I do too, wanting to hear his response.

"Since we are already all dead, the Government decided to use it. If the people didn't know about Charlie's escape, then once we were all proclaimed dead, there was no reason for them to tell everyone that one of the Government's most wanted criminals got away. They just used our death to their advantage so they didn't have to look bad."

I felt the need to laugh. The Government was a bunch of no good, self-conscious, rich men and women who thought they owned the world.

"Well, that's one way to do it," I say, chuckling.

"You ready for tonight, Paula?" Kane asks, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Of course, Mr. Laneer."

We both push through the door to Paul's workshop, and I feel guilt settle in my stomach. They don't have any idea what's coming.

"There they are," Charlie jokes, waltzing towards us. He flings his arms around my shoulders, and I feel myself physically stiffen.

"You okay?" He asks.

I nod, pulling myself free. A hurt look passes through Charlie's eyes, and I feel horrible. I shouldn't have done that. I mean if they knew what was coming... I can't think about that now.

Paul comes over and presses my UCP to the skin behind my ear. I watch as my normal skin changes and shifts, forming into the pale, lovely akin of Lady Paula. Soon, everyone around me is changing, turning into their UCP form.

I walk towards the mirror, my skirt swishing around my ankles. The UCP makes the experience so real, not only for a passerby, but also for the person wearing the UCP.

I smile at my reflection, looking from head to toe. Paul's attention to detail is astonishing. From every birthmark, to every freckle, Lady Paula is perfect.

"Are you ready to go to the truck?" Kane; Mr. Lanier asks, holding his hand out to me.

"Why yes I am," I say, listening to Lady Paul's sweet, melodic voice. "Thank you."

We all walk towards the truck and I take a deep breath.

This is for Amelia.

This is for me.

We deserve this.

I sigh, swallowing the guilt surfacing in my throat. Tonight will go as planned. None of these men will be coming back home. By tonight they will all be locked in Government Cells, and I will be picking Amelia up, hopefully taking her to a hotel where we can stay until I find my family.

Kane helps me up into the truck and I slump against the wall.

Here we go.

AN~ Sorry, this isn't the longest chapter, but I feel like this one didn't need to be as long, it was just setting up the scene. Thoughts? Is Felisha making you upset? Please keep voting and commenting! I love hearing from you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 1.1K 39
"𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸..." 𝗜 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲. 𝗜 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗸𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 �...
Saxifrage Fire By Emmitt

Science Fiction

997 129 38
Love, hate, fear; these are only words to Alethea Atlas. Born a prodigy among Sera Society, she's neurologically modified to feel nothing. But when...
10.5K 1.3K 45
*Completed* My name is Allison, I'm 16 and I'm an Orphan. All my life I have lived it how I like, didn't give a shit about boys, makeups and all th...
1.3M 78.4K 50
Part 2 of The Runner series. ================================== The Runner's Rebellion was only the beginning. Tensions run high as the City struggle...