𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐥�...

By oceanvybz

[ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐗 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟐 ] ━ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇, after an invitation ... More

4/7/23 update *
- 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭.
1. | 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐛𝐲𝐞𝐬
2. | butterfly milk
3. | 𝐚𝐱𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐡'𝐬
4. | 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫
5. | 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝
6. | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬
7. | 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐞𝐚 𝐬𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧'
8. | 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧
9. | 𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧
5•31•22 | A/N
11. | 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞
12. | 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐠𝐨
13. | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐠𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫
A/N / 8•3•23 //+ 9 - 27 - 23 update
Help ! // update AN | 10-15-23

10. | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐜𝐡

4.3K 135 307
By oceanvybz

NOTES ;

bringin' in that southern charm ~

( and some angst bc if yk me, we
all know how much i love
writing angst 🤎

hope y'all paid attention to
the foreshadowing in the
previous chapters tho )

•       •       •

flashback ;

  When hot tears rolled down your cheeks, you knew you couldn't take being here anymore. The yelling, the neglect and avoidance, marriage problems . . You've had enough.

Your parents stayed together because they had to, not because they wanted to. And they certainly never wanted you. They were young, did dumb things, and those things turned out having to eventually care for a baby; aka, you.

They were still young; and what seemed to you, they never grew up.
You're a teenager, but that didn't mean you couldn't decipher normal families from your own.

When you dialed in the number on your phone, you picked at your fingernails, trying ever so patiently, for the other end to pick up.

  Your eyes search the sky outside of the window- - it was getting light out, the birds were up on the electrical wire, chirping. 

"C'mon, Oncie. Pick up." Your voice mumbled into the speaker.

After a couple more rings, you sigh, leaning your head back against the side of the bed. The floor wasn't comfortable, but you just didn't feel like sitting on the bed.

"Mhhn- - hello?"

Your head perked up, and you sniffled your nose. "D-Did I wake you up?"

  "Uh, yeah . . you did." His voice mumbles into the phone. A few movements and shifts cause some rustling into the speaker. "It's four in the morning— Wh-why are you up?"

"Sorryy . . I haven't even gone to sleep yet."
You pick at the carpet, anxiously. "Can I come over . . ?"

"Right now?"

You shifted, nervously. " . . yeees?"

"Are you okay?"

"I will be. I'll see you soon." You two said your goodbyes, and hung up.

  You had taken the car from the garage, and drove your way into the outskirts of town, to find the country roads that took you to an isolated little ranch, which you knew all too well. About half an hour later, you arrived at his house.

  Pulling into the driveway, you made sure to avoid the old red truck sitting in the driveway, broken down and never touched since the older male, head of the household, had left it there to rot. Onceler was sitting in a chair on the front porch, waiting, watching.
When you shut the car door behind you, it didn't take long for you to meet Onceler at the door. He was still in his pajamas, hair a bit out of place, and a tired look in his eye. He must have stayed up waiting for you to get there.

You hugged him, tears long gone by now, but still on the edge of your emotions. "Hi."

"Hey," His arms held you tight, bringing you into his warm skin. "Are you alright?"

You nodded into his chest, the smile you were forcing, fading. "Yeah. I'm good," your head tilts up at him, strained slightly with still behind wrapped up in his hug, and you flashed him a soft smile again. "Thanks."

He smiled down at you, and let go. "C'mon. I can make us something to eat."

  Outside, the air was usually hot and sticky- - but inside the house? Twice as bad, you think. The southern heat was no joke in the summer, and for once you honestly preferred your city house, with air conditioning and freezers to stick your head into.

"Can you make me some pancakes?" You asked him, eyes big and hopeful.

He shrugged, innocently, "I don't know, I'm kinda tired after being woken up to a mysterious phone call."

You held your hands together, pleading. "Pleaseee? Yours are the best,"

Onceler made a crooked smile over his shoulder, as he guided the two of you into the small kitchen. "Aah, I guess so." The curl of his lip that turned into a little smirk, made your smile widen.

   You took the seat across from the kitchen counter, and sink into your hoodie. Mornings were cooler still, but you knew better than to trust the cold front. Soon enough, you'd be sweating and cursing at the clouds.

  Onceler prepared all of the ingredients needed to make the pancakes with, and hums an upbeat tune to himself, or to whoever would pay attention and listen.

He breaks his tune by looking over his shoulder at you, "Don't be surprised if Brett and Chet come downstairs soon." Onceler caught your attention when you'd been staring out of the window, watching the sun rise. You turned to look at him.

"They smell my cooking, and they completely take over the table." He chuckles to himself. You weakly smiled over at him, and leaned forward on the table with your elbows. "As long as I get to have at least one, it's fine." You smirked over at him playfully. 

  Just like he called it, nearly five minuets later, you heard sets of footsteps running down the stairs. Two older twins, in their pajamas, just like their younger brother, stumble into the kitchen. You looked over and caught their eyes.
  "Y/N?" Brett questioned, narrowing his eyes slightly on you.

"Did you sneak her in, Once?" Chet asked, holding back a snicker from under his breath.

You offered them a small wave with the sleeve of your hoodie, and weaken your smile as you look to Onceler.
The lanky male stammered, a nervous grin creeping up his features, and you noticed it. "What? No! She just got here."

  An elbow nudges you in the arm. "Onceler likes keeping you a secret, apparently." Brett says, teasing you both.

"Ha! Burn." Chet waved the conversation off, and rounds the counter to meet with the plate of food.

"It ain't no secret when I'm here." You stood up, and shoo them away from the steaming plate of a tall stack of pancakes, just waiting there for you. "And, back off. These are mine."
You assumed over time that their southern-ness rubbed off on you. Or, maybe it was just the city girl in you, talking. Either way, you had an attitude, and you stuck by it.

"Woaaah," the twins say in sync, mockingly, and Chet holds up his hands in defense.

"Can't spare just one?" Brett asks, tilting his head. "For us?"

"Hell no." Your eyes narrowed onto him. With one quick swipe, no syrup needed, you fold up a small one, and stuff a bite in your mouth to prove a point.
"Sorry, claimed it." Talking with your mouth full wasn't something they haven't seen you do before. They just rolled their eyes, and Chet crosses his arms, turning to look to his younger brother. "Once? You don't expect us to starve, do you?"

"Yeah, man. Share." Brett says.

Onceler raises his hands up, "There's plenty for all of us. But," his eyes glanced over to you, who still had your mouth full, "Y/N does get first dibs, since she asked me to make them."

You smirk, and crinkled your nose. "Burn, bitches."

"Whatever, city girl." Brett flicked your forehead.

•        •        • 

   Hoodie hung up over the back of the rocking chair, and a cold glass resting in your hand, you and Onceler sat on the front porch together. You looked him over, trying to hold back the smirk forming as you noticed how red his face was.
"Want me 't get you an ice pack?" Your voice broke out in a wobbly tone, holding back the soft giggles in your chest.

"Why?" Onceler looked over to you curiously. "Is it that obvious?"

"Yeah." Your head bobbled through laughter, "It's hot as hell out here."

  "I wish we had a/c." He hung his head back against the chair, dark bangs sticking to his face in all of the right ways. Only Onceler could still look good, even when he was sweaty.

You smile, looking out at the road instead. "Me too."

  "Hey, so . ." The raven trailed off briefly, earning your attention again. You had a feeling of what he was going to bring up, but again, you weren't completely sure.
"Are you staying tonight? Or going home?" He asks. There's a curiosity in his tone, but his features looked more like he was shielding away.

  You sighed out softly, rocking away in the chair. "I don't know . . can I stay?"  

He shrugged, looking you over a few times. "Yeah, I'm sure mom won't care."

You nodded silently. 

"What happened?" Onceler always had this way of being able to get you to say what you were feeling, and you hated that.
"I'm just tired of them," you huffed, turning your head to look at him. "And I know they're tired of me too." Your gaze turned back to the road again, a solemn look in your features.

"Don't say that," he waved you off, peeling himself from the wooden chair. You sniffled and bring the cold glass up to your lips to drink.

"They care about you."

You gently scoffed at his reply, and dull your eyes ahead at the road. Leaning slightly forward in the chair, wooden back of it hurting your back, your mind started racing. If that were true, which it clearly wasn't, you didn't even know how to feel about it.

Your parents may not have actually told you they did- - but they didn't exactly tell you that they don't . . Though, actions are stronger than words in most cases.

The front door opened between the both of your chairs, alerting your mind from the thoughts. Isabella walked out, a smile on her face, hand accompanied by a glass like your own, only filled to the top.

"Oh! I thought I heard you out here," her hand patted the top of your head, a tender smile forming as her fingers gently scrunched into your hair. You smiled back up at her, before turning back to the yard. 
"When did you stroll in?" She asked, leaning against the railing to look at the both of you.

You glanced to Onceler, sharing a look, before turning back to her. "This morning. You missed the pancakes."

She gave a little fake gasp, turning to her son. "Oncie! You didn't save any pancakes for your momma?"

He smiled nervously up at her. "Brett and Chet ate them before I could even get one,"

"Is that why you're so skinny?" She teased, waving a hand with delicate fingertips his way. You crack a little smile between them. Although she had her moments, you loved Isabella. She was the mother you never got, but wanted. And despite the way she acted towards Onceler, and sometimes the twins, she always treated you best. You'd been mostly oblivious to some of the slander, at that age.

  "Mom," Onceler's eyes gave her the look, the one where he wasn't in the mood to be teased with you in front of them.

"Right, right. Sorry." She turns to you and crinkles her nose when she snickers, "So sensitive, that one."

You smiled a bit more. "I think it suits him."

Isabella shrugs, "Your opinion matters most to him, sweetie. So I guess that's a good thing you think so."

Onceler's eyes widen, and he sits forward in the chair. Your one eyebrow furrowed slightly in curiosity at him, the slightest of smirks forming.

  "Oookay! Mom, I think you should go." Onceler urged her away, the pleading was in his voice and body language.

She stands up, raising a hand defensively. "Alright, fine. I'm leavin'," and with that, she gets shoved back into the house. "Y/N, let me know if you need me to set up the couch for you tonight."

"Okay, thanks." You beam up at her.

"Anytime, sweetie~!"

You eyed the lanky boy with soft eyes, the faintest of smiles still on your lips. His face was still a bit red, but this time you weren't so sure if it was from the outdoor heat.

•        •        •

When Y/N had come over, I was conflicted in my thoughts. Annoyed, from being woken up after a good sleep, but also excited. Hearing her voice first thing when waking up was honestly the best way to wake up from a disturbed sleep.

She laid on my bed, eyes staring up at the ceiling while I was sitting at my work desk that was pushed against the wall.

It was hot in the bedroom, and I almost wondered if she had regretted coming over, now.

"Hey," she turned to look at me, and I looked back. "What's that?"

My eyes followed hers until they landed on a project I'd been just starting to work on. Mom called it a failure, just like me, but I thought it'd be pretty cool to have one thing to do a project of a thousand.

"Hm? Oh, this thing," she'd probably laugh it it too, but I wasn't entirely sure. I picked it up, pointing it towards her. The were blueprints a mess, which caused more nervousness to flood into my face. "I haven't gotten a name for it yet, but its just a thought I had a few days ago." My shoulder shrugged, trying to brush it off as nonchalant.

Her eyes actually lit up, and a smile cracked onto her face. "Woah, what?" With excited hands, she took the paper from my own, and looked it over, now laying on her stomach.
"Once, this is awesome. Can I wear it?"

I laughed, clearly amused with her own curiosity about it. I never thought of that before- - being able to wear it, and turn it into some sort of other product, versatile. That was tenuous.

"Y'know, I think you probably could!" I took the paper back from her, and grabbed the white pencil laying on the desk beside me. Within a few minuets, I had drawn out a different sketch of the product, this time, making a few holes, in functional areas of the material.

Maybe some more thought could go into it, but for then, it was good.

By now, Y/N was already leaning over my shoulder, touching her delicate fingers to my shoulder. Normally, I don't like contact. But with her, it was good.

She watched, curious eyes, and a gleaming smile as I sketched it out.

"I need it."

I laughed, looking up at her. "Well, I need a name for it,"

She shrugged, innocent, a bottom lip puffed out slightly in thought. "I dunno,"

Need a Thneed. Everybody needs a thneed.

"I've got it," I nodded, pointing the pen towards her. She sits back down on the bed, and smiles. "Yeah?"

"The Thneed!"

• • •

sorry for those I disappointed with no greedler in this chapter HAHAH but I needed some background to write out for the story to make more sense ((':

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.9K 904 9
___________________________ .⋆ ۪ 𖥔 ˑ 𝗢𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗨𝗣𝗢𝗡 𝗔 𝗗𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗠 - 𝗟𝗮𝗻𝗮 𝗗𝗲𝗹 𝗥𝗲𝘆 ;; 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕...
8.6K 83 11
"𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒘" -𝑴𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒐 𝑹𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒍𝒆 ________________ "𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒉𝒊𝒎 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒐...
70.2K 1K 14
𝘑͏𝘶͏𝘴͏𝘵͏ 𝘴͏𝘰͏𝘮͏𝘦͏ 𝘰͏𝘯͏𝘦͏𝘴͏𝘩͏𝘰͏𝘵͏𝘴͏ 𝘰͏𝘧͏ 𝘺͏𝘰͏𝘶͏𝘳͏ 𝘧͏𝘢͏𝘷͏𝘰͏𝘳͏𝘪͏𝘵͏𝘦͏ 𝘛͏𝘸͏𝘪͏𝘴͏𝘵͏𝘦͏𝘥͏𝘞͏𝘰͏𝘯͏𝘥͏𝘦͏𝘳͏𝘭͏𝘢͏𝘯͏𝘥͏ �...
375K 8.4K 44
Sʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ ᴡʜᴀᴛ sᴇx ғᴇᴇʟs ʟɪᴋᴇ -Mᴏɴᴇᴋʏ D. Lᴜғғʏ ' ↝ 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘤𝘳𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭... ...