The Queen of Spades (promise...

By Kim9105

"Everybody had different pasts, experiences, and personalities, but the anguish we all felt were the same." K... More

Very short author's note
Part 1- newcomer arc: Chapter 1-The blackout
Chapter 2-Knowledge is key
Chapter 3-Meet-up
Chapter 4-Let the games begin
Chapter 5-Ambush
Part 2- beach arc:Chapter 6-Perfect cards, perfect duo
Chapter 7-Executive meeting
Chapter 8-Trust
Chapter 9-The human heart-something I can never understand
Chapter 10-Silent communication
Chapter 11-The militants
Chapter 12-Different perspectives
Chapter 13-A key source of information
Chapter 14-Perfect timing and perfect pawns
Chapter 15-Wild animals
Chapter 16-Treatment and rest
Part 3- ten of hearts arc: Chapter 17-Take control, or be in control
Chapter 18-Operation...fail?
Chapter 19-Mystery solved
Chapter 20-Blow your mind
Chapter 21-Unraveled secrets
Chapter 22-Stage two
Part 4- face card arc:Chapter 23-Surprise entrance
Chapter 24-Physical limit
Chapter 25-Watch your footing
Chapter 26-World domination
Chapter 27-Hunter or hunted
Chapter 28-Whole-heartedly
Chapter 29-Final stage
Chapter 30-Re-united
Chapter 31-outnumbered
Chapter 32-If they hit you, hit them back twice as hard
Chapter 33- Saviour
Extra chapter 34-a game with the King
Extra Chapter 35- teaser
Chapter 36-fight to the death
Chapter 37- Me, myself and I
Part 5-Akihiko arc:Chapter 38-repeating the past
Chapter 39-Betrayal
Chapter 40-high stakes
Chapter 41-kindness, or blindness?
Chapter 42-insanity
Chapter 43-save your tears
(Survivor arc) Chapter 44-familiar faces
Chapter 45-A New Job
Chapter 48-Yes
Chapter 49-significant other
(Citizen arc) Chapter 50-reborn
Chapter 51-dealers and players
Chapter 52- a new association
Chapter 53-secrets
Chapter 54-home sweet home
Chapter 55-high tensions
Chapter 56-teamwork makes the dreamwork
Extra note
Chapter 51-moving on
Chapter 52-Mansion of Monsters
Chapter 53-Worthy
Chapter 54-Bullseye
Chapter 55-A pound of flesh
Chapter 57-A new Beginning
Chapter 58-An encounter
Chapter 59-First move
Chapter 60-deadly secrets
Chapter 61-Uncertainty
The Queen of Hearts

Chapter 56-A cup of tea

99 3 1
By Kim9105

Placing two cups of freshly brewed tea on the table across each other, you pushed your skirt before before taking a seat on your chair and stretched your neck, making yourself comfortable. "Thanks for the tea," Chishiya said, sipping it, before placing it back onto the table with a resounding clink. 

(Instead of writing a long and boring game, just want to share with you more about their relationship since I noticed I haven't been writing much about them lately to pass time!)

"Haha! It's really my pleasure to have one last cup of tea with you, before I travel to the Mansion of Monsters," you chuckled, two pink clouds floating on your cheeks. You took note that in the borderlands, besides the plants that dangled over the buildings, nothing about the both of you changed. Your hair did not grow, as you hadn't needed to dye it pink again ever since you entered the borderlands.

Up till that day, everybody, including the game masters, were still curious about what the borderlands really were. In fact, you couldn't tell. Time seem to be passing rapidly, and yet it seemed like it just froze all of a sudden, and you two were stuck in a paradox. 

Chishiya smiled, taking another mouthful of his tea. 

He paused, before he finally responded, "Do take caution the moment you step into its gates. The boss there is really someone. During my observation of the games, his ability to make fast, yet rational decisions is inhuman. Not to mention, he doesn't seem to care about anybody at all. One wrong move, and you'll be exposed by him." 

"Reminds me of someone," you wriggled your eyebrows at him, lightening the tense atmosphere between the two of you. Him, clearly seeming irritated by your statement, darkened his face for a split second. 

His lanky fingers reached for your bruised hand that still had the acid burn scar on it. He held it tightly, before stroking his thumb across the enormous scar that you had on your hand, causing a reddish pink to rush to your cheeks uncontrollably. "Such a delicate body you have, and yet you still rush into battle recklessly like a wild boar." He commented. 

"When you go into the Mansion of Monsters, do not ever waver. Sadly, I can't go in there with you for many reasons, the main ones being because I'm tired of socializing and working under somebody. Plus, they might also find out about us, and our relationship will eventually get in the way."

"Tired of socializing with me? Consider me extremely offended!" You pouted, squeezing his hand teasingly. 

"N-no, just everybody besides you. I'm quite an antisocial person, and I'm only willing to talk to you," Chishiya stuttered for, probably the first time you had known.

You chuckled, before interlocking your fingers with his. "I'm just joking! Well, I should get going now. The Mansion is pretty far away from here. Bye bye, Shuntaro."

Right when your grip on his hand loosened, Chishiya stopped you in your tracks by gripping tightly onto your arm. "Wait." He stopped your in your tracks, resulting in you taking a halt.

"Before you go,I would like to play a game of chess with you," he requested with a certain hope in his eyes. "Just a friendly match."

"I don't exactly know how to play chess, but I've read through the books before," you replied, agreeing to his offer. After all, it  would be intriguing to see a small battle between two lovers.

The game of chess is often described as a battle of wits, where the two of you would engage in a mental duel to outsmart the other party. Who would win in that intense battle of the brains? Chishiya was intellectual, shrewd and cunning. He always had a second trick up his sleeve, and was undefeated whenever it game to mind games.

On the other hand, you were more innovative and adaptable to your surroundings, being able to find new methods to solve the different problems that you faced along the way. Though risky, you were always willing to try something new. How would you know if you did not try at all?

Chess was a game that required strategy, foresight, and a deep understanding of the opponent's tactics. On that particular day, The majestic Queen of Spades and the intelligent King of Diamonds were engaged in an intense game of chess that would test both of their limits.

The sun was setting over the horizon as the two figures sat across from each other in a dimly lit room. The only source of light was the flickering candles on the table, casting long shadows across the wooden board that lay between the both of you. The room was silent except for the low hum of the air blowing  the two of you.

The both of you had always been evenly matched, with victories and defeats in different types of games evenly split between the both of you. But that day, something was unique. There was a tension in the air that neither of you could quite put your finger on. It was as though you both knew that that duel between you guys won't be the same, ordinary game, that it would be more intense and more challenging than any game you had played before. 

You two sat across each other, your eyes locked in a fierce gaze. Although you two loved each other, there were times when you were serious about dominating the other.

Since Chishiya was the white team, he decided to make the first move, moving your pawn forward two spaces. A safe move, you thought, responding in kind, moving your own pawn forward as well. "I'm somewhat excited to see the outcome of this game, Yuki."

As the game progressed, both of you began to make bold moves, sacrificing pieces in order to gain an advantage. Chishiya bravely sacrificed his bishop, hoping to trap your Queen. "Not today, Shuntaro! This time, victory will be mine again!" You thought, responding by sacrificing your knight, desiring to gain control of the center of the board. 

The game was becoming increasingly complex, with the both of you trying to stay one step ahead of the other. The two of you were sweating profusely despite the windy breeze in the surroundings. The tension was palpable as each move was made, each player trying to outsmart the other. 

You had been playing ever so aggressively, trying to gain an early advantage by abandoning your useless pawns and knights. Chishiya, however, was playing defensively, in contrary to your playing technique, carefully protecting his pieces and waiting patiently for an opportunity to strike. 

As the game progressed, you began to feel the pressure mounting. You had never played a game that intense before, and you could feel your heart racing in your chest. You glanced up at Chishiya, trying to read his expression, but the calm man remained impassive. 

Suddenly, Chishiya made a move that caught you completely off-guard. He had sacrificed his queen without hesitation, leaving himself open to attack. 

As the game approached its near conclusion, both of your faces were contorted in concentration as you both tried to anticipate each other's next move in this critical time of the game. 

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, you had found a complete opening with your pieces in its perfect position to attack Chishiya head-on.

"Just like a chicken without its head, you're defenseless, my dear!" You exclaimed, taking the golden opportunity to lunge forward, taking Chishiya's king with your knight. You let out a triumphant shout, assuming that you had won the game against the King of Diamonds, supposedly the smartest player in the borderlands.

But Chishiya just smirked, revealing a row of gleaming white teeth. "Not so fast," he announced in a deep, gravelly voice. You had managed to gain a slight advantage in the game, but it was by no means a sure victory. Chishiya had one last trick up his sleeve, a move that he had been saving for just such an occasion. 

With a sudden flourish, he used his rook to check your  king. 

"Checkmate."

You looked back at the board with disbelief, your eyes widening with shock. You had been so focused on the attack that you had missed the fact that your own king was in danger. 

With that, you had lost the game to Chishiya, who unexpectedly emerged victorious. 

Chishiya stood up from his seat, offering you a hand. You stood up as well, before beating his hand away. Instead, you went in for a warm, tight hug. 

Shedding a few tears of joy from your previous mini-game among yourselves, you held him in your arms for a few moments, before admitting, "Honestly, I'll miss you when I'm in there all alone. I need you to come with me, please!"

"No," Chishiya refused to go, stroking your back and lifting your face up to meet his, "you'll be quite all right by your own. In fact, you can learn more from the people there. I heard that some of our dealers and game masters are there. You should go on without me."

You accepted the fact that he was right. You gave him one last kiss, before you departed from him. 

A warm cup of tea, along with a wonderful game of chess was the perfect way for the both of you to bid farewell, for that period of time. It was, after all, a new world with a brand-new set of people.

(Not sure if this is even good but yeeeyeyeyeyyeyee tell me tell me~ eh. Can't wait to write the next few chapters because things are gonna get SPICY!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 1.2K 17
โ€žYou're not mad at me for what I did weeks ago right?" he scoffs โ€žDon't think you have such a big impact on me, to remember you for more then two day...
9.1K 221 7
You meet a certain boy in Borderland, who seems to not care about a single other person there, and focuses only on himself. What happens when he star...
66.7K 2.1K 24
โ๐๐‘๐Ž๐Œ๐ˆ๐’๐„ ๐Œ๐„ ๐˜๐Ž๐”'๐‹๐‹ ๐’๐“๐€๐˜ ๐–๐ˆ๐“๐‡ ๐Œ๐„โž ใ…ค โ•ฐโ”ˆโ”€โžค in which y/n and chishiya find themselves fighting for survival in an alternate unive...
50K 1K 20
Chishiya considered himself cold-hearted. Selfish even before the Borderlands happened. He had never met someone as difficult as the matters of the h...