Made of Steel

Από Clau_Llerena

Cassandra left her fiancé standing at the altar a few minutes before the wedding and left to Italy. Two years... Περισσότερα

Prologue: I'll make you pay
1. I found you
2. The perfect wife
3. Dreaming awake
4. I've made my decision
5. Signs of Destiny
6. Be careful what you wish for
7. Marry me
8. I do
9. Meeting and conditions
10. Past, present and future
11. It's show time
12. Keeping a promise
13. I have the power
14. Wedding
15. Unknown Sensations
16. Desire
17. Confused
18. The wedding gift
19. Touch the Sky
20. Gift is here
21. Happy New Year
22. Rage
23. You are mine
24. Wife of lies
25. You fell in love with him
26. My wife
27. The witch is here
28. My cross and my new hobby
29: Woman of Steel
30. Surprises
31. Ice Moon
32. The best player
33. Worried
34. Valentine's Day
35. Mommy
36. Mine
37. Crisis
38. Goodbye to witch's curse
39. Asshole Surgeon
40. Ups and downs
41. I'm in trouble
42. I love you
43. Broken Inside
44. We are done
45. Getting rid of the harpy
46. Pregnant and kidnapped
47. Collapse
48. What once united us, no longer exists
49. Anger and Frustration
50. Ours
51. Secrets and accidents
53. My Man of Steel
54. I need her
55. I'm yours
56. Meeting with the enemy
57. Where are you, Adriano?
58. Fear
59. A bedtime story
Epilogue. Made of Steel

52. Coma

86 2 0
Από Clau_Llerena

Adriano Di Lauro

The panes of my office windows refract the light exquisitely onto my legs as I stare into space, and that simple contact makes me think of how perfect my wife looks on them.

It is exactly that association that makes me weigh how much in love I am with Cassandra and how much I intend to fight to make her happy.

Everything that she has created within me is impressive, what makes me feel and what life gives me. She has become the reason for my existence and my children have finished building by their side the family I thought would be null and void forever.

During those moments in which I thought I had lost her, that life threatened me with her absence, I understood how much she meant to me. So, she made me thaw the iceberg that one day I was.

Nothing and no one can take her away from me... Today Cassandra is mine in every way, just as I am hers.

"Here's the resort's financial report," my right hand interrupts my thoughts by appearing abruptly in front of me. Very strange, since walking silently isn't his style. "You're where you want."

"How are we doing on Frost Companies stock?" I ask as I flip through the report. As usual, everything is going according to plan.

"Those of the hotel chain have gone down with the competition, but those of the construction company remain," he adds with a serious expression. What fly has bitten him? "He still owns half of the buildings in the country."

"Yes, but hotel business is his family legacy," I clarify. "He can be very successful in all spheres, likewise he will feel frustrated because his inheritance is going down the drain."

"As you say."

His mere presence already irritates me. Now he doesn't even reply. Pietro Varca manages to irritate me in any of his facets.

"He is preparing a good proposal for the purchase," I demand.

"Okey."

"How is the adoption process going?"

"It is already done."

I am waiting for some ridicule or comment out of place. However, nothing arrives.

I snort loudly before putting the papers down next to the pen on the table.

"Ten minutes," I blurt out dryly. "I'll give you ten minutes to explain to me what the hell is going on with you."

In response, he approaches the minibar and pours two glasses of Bourbon and then, he hands me one.

"I have made a terrible mistake and now I must pay the consequences."

"What have you done, Pietro?", I ask before taking a sip of the drink. I have a slight suspicion on the matter.

The lawyer downs the glass to the bottom in a single gulp, then stares into the glass. He supposedly hates her and that's why he has a hard time saying it out loud.

He lets out a long sigh before replying,

"I've gotten involved with the worst of harpies... and I've been trapped."

"Trapped how?", I urge him to continue. I sense that there is something more behind the conflict of emotions.

"She is pregnant."

I think for the first time in my life I am speechless. This is not what I expected. Knowing the woman he refers to, I know that accidents do not exist with her. She is just as methodical and cold as I am.

"And are you sure it's yours?"

His face disfigures at my question, but I remain undaunted. I can expect anything from her.

"I am," he replies too firmly. "What should I do?"

I raise an eyebrow as I let out a smile. We know each other too well, I know how he thinks. He can't fool me.

"I think you've already made up your mind. If you're waiting for me to get the idea out of your head, you're wasting your time."

"It's crazy, we have nothing in common. I hate her!"

I cover my mouth to hide a smile. It's my time to tease, I can't even imagine the hell he'll be living in for the next few months. My friend is lucky that I am more rational.

Looking at the clock, I realize that the time has passed. I have an appointment with my wife and I'm not going to be late.

I stand up and adjust my suit before walking over to my partner and patting him on the shoulder with ease.

"Keep saying it until you believe it. I wish you good luck, because you'll need it," I start to leave, but I decide to stop halfway. "Fon't wait for me at the wedding."

"Don't even dream about it, Adriano," he warns, pointing at me with his index finger. "You'll be my best man."

"We'll see that."

Security completes the security protocol and I get in the car without delay. Halfway through I check my mobile and find a message from my wife added to a call.

'Someone is anxious to see me'

Maybe she can take off her clothes to welcome me home before taking her out to dinner. I have become addicted to the nectar of her body and knowing that she carries my child inside her... provokes a lot of unknown sensations in me, but they only lead me to one truth: Cassandra Di Lauro is mine.

I open the message tray to reply. However, the phone falls from my hands at the same time that I feel how the world revolves around me. I float in the air and something hits my head. Then I feel an explosion around me that leaves me completely dazed.

Everything happens in a matter of seconds as the scenes lived with my wife and children are played before my eyes like an old movie.

Then, I hear a voice that is too familiar to me:

"Hello, Adriano. I was waiting for you."

'Stella'

Am I dead?

Cassandra

I feel a strong odor fill my nostrils and my eyes snap open, dizzy trying.

"Thank God," I spot Alexa Di Lauro in my field of vision. "Are you okay, honey?"

"I...", I put my hands to my head a little dazed. Seconds later, memories come to my head all at once and my temples begin to throb. "Adriano!"

"Federico is already on his way to the hospital while I was taking care of you", she explains to me. "Vivi got very upset and didn't know what to do."

"Oh, God!", I put my hands to the place where my heart is pounding wildly, longing to get out of my body. My husband has had an accident and I don't know how he is. "Tell me he's okay, please."

"We don't know anything, dear," no matter how hard she tries to maintain his poise, her voice trembles. "Only that he is going to have surgery"

I bite my lip as hard as I can to hold back the shrill sobs. I don't want the kids to find out.

'The children...'

"Oh my God, the children!

"For now we won't tell them anything, okay?", She takes my hands to inspire me a little calm. "Vivi will stay with them and we have to go to the hospital. I need you to stay strong, okay? My son needs you. Can you do it?"

I take several deep breaths before nodding and getting to my feet with her help before we head towards the exit.

The walk to my place of work seems to take forever and no matter how hard I try to keep my sanity, my teeth keep chattering.

We arrive at the emergency room and it is not difficult for us to find my father-in-law, since they have cleared the place. At another time I would snort in disbelief and then scoff at being treated like Kings of Italy, but right now it's impossible for me.

"How is he?", I ask immediately desperate.

"In the living room, in a few minutes they will come to update us on their condition."

My friends soon appear and hug me on the spot, as does Pietro.

Then a team of specialists led by Dr. Moccia and Rossi appear in front of us.

"His condition is critical", my legs are weak, needing the help of Romeo and Lea to keep me on my feet. "He suffered multiple traumas to the body, the biggest being to the skull. To which is added a puncture wound caused by a glass fragment..."

A gasp escapes my lips automatically and I hold my breath to suppress the churning in my stomach.

A glass. My husband has a fucking piece of glass embedded in his head.

I am a doctor, I have a postgraduate degree in Pediatric Surgery. I know the protocol to follow in these cases.

"No," I snap in a dry tone as I glance at the pair of men who were once my teachers. "You're not going to leave that crystal in his brain."

"I understand your position, Dr. Di Lauro", my boss intervenes with a honeyed tone, which turns my blood on, "but it is what the protocol dictates. As a doctor you should know."

"I don't care about damned protocol!" I ignore my mother-in-law's shriek. Now it's time to put on my pants and bring out the Woman of Steel. "My husband wouldn't allow it either if he was awake."

"I agree," my father-in-law seconds.

"He may not wake up if we remove the sharp object," chimes in the asshole surgeon. "Do I need to remind you of the risks of this operation, Dr. Di Lauro?

"Do I need to remind you who you're talking to, Dr. Rossi?" I counterattack. "What's going on? Is the task too big for you?"

I know very well what I am doing. The only way to convince him is to provoke him. Santino Rossi is that predictable and with the huge ego he carries, there are no impossible missions for him.

"Okay," he backs down with a challenging smile. He is aware that he has entered my game. "You win. Before you must authorize and sign the certificate of responsibility in case of complications..."

"I'm not going to sign a shit," I cut him short. "You and Dr. Moccia are going to walk into that room, perform the surgery, and return my husband to me in one piece. Otherwise, I'll hang you by your balls and then cut them off. It is understood?"

If I looked in the mirror right now, even I would be afraid of myself.

"If you are willing to take the risk...", the director decides, "Dr. Rossi will do it. I will assist you."

"Fine," I snort more serenely. "You're the best at what you do, Rossi. So prove it. Besides, you owe me at least that much", I remind him. "So maybe, and just maybe, I forgive your misdeed."

"Maledetti americani 'damned Americans", I reach to hear him mutter as he turns toward the operating room without speaking to anyone.

"Jerk", Wendy whispers to herself. "Well done, Cass."

"Yes, well done," Leah says. "Though you know you have to sign that warning anyway."

"I know."

I allow myself a few seconds to laugh at my own evil.

"You behaved like a Di Lauro", Mr. Federico comments with a tone full of pride while the family's lawyer shakes his head in amusement.

I, on the other hand, do not see the fun in the matter. They're about to split my husband's head open.

My legs feel weak and I force myself to sit up. A resident doesn't take long to bring me the papers to sign.

I know the risks of this procedure, but I read them anyway.

'Cerebral palsy, loss of memory, loss of vegetative functions, coma, cerebral infarction...'

The list goes on. However, I cannot continue reading. So I wipe the tears from my face before stamping my name on the page.

Seconds, minutes, hours... Time runs slower than ever while we wait for the end of this torture.

I feel the acidic liquid run through my digestive tract and as a reflex action I put my hands on my stomach.

'Not now. Your dad's life is in danger,' I demand with my thoughts.

"Are you okay?", my best friend asks.

"I am", I smile as best I can in an attempt not to worry her. Just today she returned from her "trip" and I know that her day has not been easy at all. I still don't know how to deal with what happened, I can't stop blaming myself. My head is going to explode and if I don't control myself, I'll end up on a stretcher next to my husband." I just have a little nausea."

Hours later we are still in the same situation and I lean my head against the wall at the same time that I close my eyes. This is being the most distressing day of my entire life.

Romeo hands me a sandwich along with a bottle of water. In response, I take the drink and decline the aperitif. Of course, those in the room protest, but I ignore them. My stomach is closed and I can barely control my sickness. If I eat anything, then I'm done.

I think it's after midnight when the surgeons appear in the room. They don't have a very good face, which immediately alarms me.

"How was it?", I hasten to ask with my heart in my hand.

"We were able to remove the foreign body and the remains it left in the cavity", he replies, giving me some peace of mind. However, I am aware that they are not finished. "Although there was too much inflammation. We have been forced to put him in a coma.

Coma... My husband is in a coma...

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

29.9K 1.7K 33
Lyla felt like she was damaged goods, and had no interest in a relationship or another marriage, after the last one nearly killed her. But maybe a re...
13.8K 396 58
3 lives interconnected together. One side has a childhood crush, while the other two are madly in love. When a turn of events takes place hearts are...
5.5K 345 26
☆ NAMJOON x READER ☆ This story about A Girl, who ran away from her marriage with a lot of dreams. And A businessman who hates marriage. Accidentally...
116K 4.1K 61
Silent, unforgiving and strikingly gorgeous, Rylan Parker is a cold-hearted businessman. An intimidating CEO, perfectly fitted in tailored suits and...