Hidden Burdens (working title)

By ShannonLeathem

Ben and his wife, Kayla, are foster parents who take in kids who have had a difficult start to life to share... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Thanksgiving: Round Two
Meltdown in the Park
Decorating the Christmas Tree
Progress
It's Never Easy to Say Good-Bye
A New But Familiar Burden
Who is Jesus?
Christmas
A New Foster Kid
Kimmy's First Court Hearing
Regrets and a Party
Unexpected Explosion
Road to Recovery and Love
Resurrecting Fear
Leaf Blowers and Regrets
An Overwhelmed Yearning

Chapter Seventeen

180 7 0
By ShannonLeathem

The headphones ended up working great. Maybe a little too great.

Kimmy was still startled awake when she felt the headphones carefully removed from her head. Her gaze opened to Kayla standing over her.

She apologized for startling her. Kayla then set the headphones on Kimmy's nightstand and informed her it was time to get up.

Kimmy rolled over to go back to sleep when Kayla walked away. She heard Kayla inform her if she had to come back in to wake her, Kimmy wouldn't be able to use the tablet for that entire day.

"She's not kidding, either," Kimmy heard Claudia say from her side of the room.

The kid moaned inside of her mind, stretching her limbs out under the comforter. If she was at home, Kimmy would be pleading with her mom to stay home with a stomachache or headache or any other illness that would allow her to skip a day. Most of the time, Stella would allow it, but once the school had started getting on her mom about Kimmy needing to go to school, it took threats of throwing away her video games and toys to get Kimmy out of bed. Even then, the anxiousness she sometimes felt caused mixed and fearful feelings to conflict in her little mind.

Kimmy opened her eyes. The first thing she saw was the morning sky through the crack between the window blinds and wall. Like most of the days in Arizona, the sky was a clear blue with small bursts of clouds, if any, and the sun was shining the brightest, even at six-thirty in the morning.

Why did the sun have to be a morning person?

It took several minutes to push herself into a sitting position and even then, Kimmy continued to sit there. Claudia had already left for the bathroom, so it was just her. When she eventually got out of bed, Kimmy leaned her hand on the bed to grab a hold of the comforter. She tossed it back into place, sort of like Kayla had showed her, but did not fix any of the creases or where the corner was folded in. Chester stayed in the spot she left him.

Kimmy lingered, picking out what to wear, changing into a pair of basketball shorts first. She stood on her side of the closet, shirtless, flipping through her shirts to decide what to wear. Being only nine, Kimmy hadn't developed yet, so she wasn't embarrassed if Claudia returned before she chose a shirt. Well, except for maybe her stomach sticking out.

After flipping through her shirts a couple of times, Kimmy settled on another one of the new Minecraft shirts she got last week. As she pulled her head through, Claudia returned, dressed for the day.

"Must be nice to be a kid and have the confidence to change in here," she remarked, tossing her pajamas into her laundry basket.

Kimmy slipped her arms through the sleeves, watching her. She didn't mind anyone seeing her top half. It was her bottom half she was more cautious of.

"You like school?" Claudia walked over to her dresser to grab her hairbrush and brush out her long, blond hair with a small mirror she had sitting there.

Kimmy shook her head.

Even though Claudia's back was turned, she saw the head motion in the mirror. "Yeah," she scoffed in agreement. "Yeah, I'm not much of a fan myself. But the dreams I have, takes an education." After she finished brushing her hair out, Claudia set the hairbrush down and grabbed a hair tie. She slipped the band onto her hand while she pulled all of her hair back and wrapped the hair tie to hold it in place. To finish, Claudia yanked on her hair with both hands to push the hair tie closer to the back of her scalp. "Besides, I hear college is a lot better than high school."

Kimmy stood there, listening for a moment. She never considered college. In fact, as soon as she was old enough to make her own decisions, Kimmy never wanted to go to school ever again. Maybe she could become a YouTuber or a Twitch streamer and play video games all day? That sounded like a better idea than sitting in a classroom, listening to a boring teacher teach math and other boring subjects all day. Then again, even that involved talking. A lot of the appeal of watching others play video games was what they say while playing.

She turned around and opened the top drawer to grab a pair of socks. She sat on the foot of her bed to put them on.

"Let's go, girls!" they heard Ben from downstairs.

Claudia was applying that eye stuff she wore a lot. "He really needs to learn to chill."

Kimmy grabbed one of her basketball shoes and shoved her foot inside without untying the laces. It took a fight and smashing her pointer finger before her heel finally slipped inside the shoe and repeated the process.

"Do you like him?" Claudia asked, wiping what looked like a sponge over her face until her freckles couldn't be seen. It was any wonder why she covered them when Kimmy always thought having freckles looked cool. Dean from Supernatural had them, and he was a badass! In a good way, anyway.

Kimmy stared at the floor, wrestling with the other shoe. The question made her think about yesterday. She still thought he was okay in her book. Goofy, maybe? But she didn't understand why he had taken residence in her mind or why she couldn't help watch him.

"It's okay if you do," she heard Claudia say. "Like I said the other day, he's got the right intentions. If you ever need a day off from school, tell him. He'll let ya. Might even take ya to the movies."

Kimmy looked over at her roommate at that moment. Really?

"It can't be all the time, though. So, if you're planning on using it today, it probably won't work."

She looked away in disappointment.

"With probable cause, he'll allow it. I didn't even know until I needed it." Claudia finished up with her makeup with that lip stuff.

Kimmy lingered there on the bed, anxiously anticipating the day's events while Claudia packed up her blue and black sport backpack, which surprisingly did not look girly at all.

When she was ready, it was Claudia who broke Kimmy out of her anxious thoughts. "Ready?" She motioned towards the door with her thumb and offered to head downstairs together.

Kimmy stared at her for a moment before pushing herself to her feet. Grabbing her own backpack, she followed the older girl downstairs to the kitchen, where Mary and Miguel were each finishing up a bowl of cereal.

Claudia asked what cereal Kimmy wanted from the pantry and passed it to her, along with a bowl from one of the cupboards, before getting her own. She also offered to pour the milk, asking if that was good enough.

Ben came in from the front yard. "Everyone ready?"

"Not yet," Claudia said, taking her bowl over to the table while Kimmy climbed up to her spot.

Kimmy caught him sigh, what he thought was under his breath, and turned to Kimmy, making sure she had everything she needed for school. Foster kids automatically were eligible for free lunch at school. Ben had asked if Kimmy still wanted to pack her lunch or if she wanted to eat what the school served. She didn't mind what school usually served, so they didn't bother getting her a lunchbox. He also checked in regarding what had happened last night. Kimmy nodded, a confirmation everything was okay.

Once Claudia and Kimmy were finished eating and everyone was ready, they all piled into Ben's truck. Miguel and Claudia were the first ones to get dropped off. Ben wanted to walk Kimmy to her class and meet the teacher, so she and Mary were dropped off, last.

Mary also asked Kimmy if she liked school and if she was excited.

Again, she shook her head.

"Don't worry, this is a great school," Mary reassured. "Everyone's nice, including the principal. You will like it. Trust me."

Kimmy just stared over at the girl, not so sure about that.

Ben parked in the parents' section, opening the door for Kimmy. Once she had climbed out, he leaned over to place his hands on his knees and encouraged everything would be okay. "If you have any problems, you can let us know and we will help as much as we can. We can be your voice for you. Okay?"

Kimmy stood there with her heart pounding in her chest and her stomach twisting into knots. This would be a reason she would try to get out of going to school.

Ben stood up and motioned to head over to the school building where the third grade classrooms were. But Kimmy's feet seemed to have rooted themselves to the asphalt. He stopped in his tracks, looking back at her.

"Come on, kiddo," he said with encouragement.

Kimmy did not move, feeling herself turn into a statue. Her gaze dropped to the ground.

"Kimmy?"

She didn't look up as Kimmy felt her eyes moisten.

Ben moved to kneel in front of the kid and looked up into her face. "What can we do, kiddo? That will help make this easier?"

Kimmy couldn't even meet his gaze, moving hers away from his.

Mary came over, reassuring her brother was shy, too. "You just have to be brave and push through it."

That was easier said than done.

"Come on, kiddo. You have to go to school," Ben insisted but gently.

Ten minutes passed, and Kimmy still could not move from that spot.

Ben insisted Mary go ahead so she wouldn't be late for class, insisting when she asked if he was sure. They embraced before Mary hurried off to the eighth grade building.

Afterwards, he kneeled back to her level. Ben was willing to let Kimmy take her time, but continued to encourage her about school.

The school bell rang, signaling the start of the school day.

He stood up to pace around the parking space they were standing in. Kimmy stole a glance up at him to see him watching the ground, occasionally kicking a rock.

Eventually, the vice principal they had met on Friday called out to them, waving a hand in the air.

Ben stopped and looked in her direction, responding to her cheerfully.

"Is everything alright?" she asked once she was close enough.

"Uh, yeah," he answered, and glanced in Kimmy's direction. "Just some first day jitters, I guess."

The lady hunched over, folding her hands against her legs. "Hi, good morning," she greeted Kimmy. "Do you remember me?"

Though Kimmy remembered the lady, she didn't recall catching a name. Depending on the person, Kimmy may or may not remember a name right away.

"My name is Mrs. Kendrick. I'm the vice principal. You're... Kimberly, right?" The lady looked over at Ben, who corrected her. "My apologies. I've known a few Kims and Kimberlys in my time in education."

She then reached out a hand. "Shall we head to class?"

But even with a lady present, Kimmy still did not move.

"Come on. We can't stand out here all day, now can we?" Mrs Kendrick stood up and gave Kimmy a forceful nudge forward.

Her feet finally moved, but it only made Kimmy's heart beat faster. She reluctantly allowed the vice principal to lead her through the parking lot and over to the school. Ben followed along on her other side. Both of them told her how much fun she would have and how awesome her teacher was, and the friends she would make. Basically, already deciding Kimmy's future for her, as if they were a fortune teller looking into a crystal ball. But it never turns out that way. Not ever.

They walked through an outdoor shaded corridor until they reached a row of classrooms that said third grade in the windows. Underneath was artwork made by children. Mrs. Kendrick led them down the walkway until they reached the third classroom. She pulled open the door to stick her head inside, requesting to speak with the teacher for a moment.

Someone instructed the children inside to keep working on their morning journal prompt, then emerged in the doorway. A tall, young man, in his late twenties, with slightly long brown hair down to his neck, stepped outside with them where Kimmy could see he had scruffle on his face.

Mrs. Kendrick slowly let the classroom door close. "Good morning, Mr. O'Reilly." They exchanged how-dos before she introduced him to Ben and Kimmy.

Mr. O'Reilly offered Ben a firm handshake. Even Ben had to look up to make eye contact with him. "Pleased to meet you." He offered Kimmy a handshake, who only stared at it.

"Don't be rude," Mrs. Kendrick scolded her, but Mr. O'Reilly assured she didn't have to shake his hand.

It was Ben who reminded Mrs. Kendrick Kimmy was shy, but directed it towards Mr. O'Reilly.

The teacher shook his head once. "Not a problem." Despite the giant nature of this person, Mr. O'Reilly gave off a gentle giant nature. Like that giant, Typhoon in that Hercules series. Hopefully, this giant wasn't as clumsy.

Mr. O'Reilly had been made aware of Kimmy joining his class this week through email and had gotten things prepared for her, including her classmates. With Mrs. Kendrick's encouragement, she followed her new teacher inside and over to a desk in the back of the room. Mr O'Reilly explained to Ben, he still kept the desks apart after Covid, in case parents were still hesitant, having their kids in close proximity to one another.

Ben helped Kimmy remove her backpack and Mr. O'Reilly said she could hang it on her chair, pulling it out for her.

At the top of the desk, there was already a school-themed name tag with Kimmy's first and last name, taped down with clear tape.

Ben kneeled beside her desk, wishing her a great first day. "I will pick you up with Mary when school lets out, okay? Depending on traffic and/or other factors, I may be late. Don't worry, though. Me or Kayla, or even Leonard, sometimes, will always be there." He offered his hand for a high five, which she timidly returned.

She then watched him stand and walk out with Mrs. Kendrick, letting Mr. O'Reilly take over from there.

Mr. O'Reilly asked if she had a notebook to write in.

Kimmy nodded and went into her backpack to pull out the spiral notebook she found at Target the day before.

Mr. O'Reilly took the notebook and opened it to the first page. He also had her take out a pencil and walked her through with writing today's date and the journal prompt on the whiteboard: Share a time you felt nervous. He explained Kimmy could write about anything that comes to mind and pointed out she could write how she feels right now.

"Anything you're comfortable sharing." She didn't even have to share it with anyone in the class. "Only I will see it." He then left her to write, informing the rest of the class they had extra time to work on their journal prompt to give Kimmy plenty of time. If anyone was finished, they could silent read. 

Kimmy looked around the room at the other kids her age. Some were peeking back at her. A few waved while it was apparent the others were only being nosy.

Her heart had slowed down a bit. But Kimmy still felt nervous being in a new classroom. Despite being one, she was no stranger to switching schools and being the new kid, and all the insecurities and fears were still present as they were before.

The boy sitting beside her leaned over to whisper, "You play Minecraft?"

She nodded at him.

"My brother and I have a server with a bunch of other kids if you want to join us."

Kimmy only shrugged. Until she could have her Switch again, she could only play on the PS4 at the foster home. With everyone else, especially Claudia and Mary, watching their shows, there was no guarantee when she could join them.

The boy started to ask what she played the game on when Mr. O'Reilly finally caught him.

"Let Kimmy work for now, Billy."

Truthfully, Kimmy was glad Mr. O'Reilly had stepped in.

She looked from Billy to the blank page, with her pencil in hand. Her gaze moved up to the prompt Kimmy had copied from the whiteboard. A time she felt nervous? Did it have to be one specific event? Because that was basically the last month. No, actually. That was her whole life!

Kimmy sat there, trying to decide over the words to write. After a minute, she dropped her head in her hand, but still kept staring at the page.

Mr. O'Reilly returned after a reasonable amount of time had passed to check on her. He kneeled in front of her desk, placing his chin on his folded arms where he covered up her name tag, and tried to help her think of a time when she was nervous. "What about right now? Are you nervous about what to write?"

She shrugged. It was coming up with the right words that were the problem.

He eventually stood up. Kimmy could work on the journal prompt as homework that evening. Mr. O'Reilly wouldn't collect their notebooks until Friday. "There aren't any wrong answers." Mr. O'Reilly turned to the rest of the class to ask if anyone would like to share what they wrote. Maybe to give Kimmy some ideas or stir her memory.

Some of the other kids took turns sharing their journal prompts. One kid shared how he was nervous riding a bike while a girl shared how she was nervous about meeting her grandmother's new dog. Another kid was nervous the first time he went hiking with his family, while someone else shared how having their closet door open at night used to make them nervous when they were little. Mr. O'Reilly affirmed those were all reasonable things to make somebody nervous.

Mr. O'Reilly moved on to vocabulary for the week, letting two kids pass out the vocabulary list for their side of the room. Then a stapled packet copied from a book. While the papers were being passed out, Mr. O'Reilly searched through his files to grab copies of the first few chapters of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

He explained how cool it was to watch movies in class growing up, himself, that Mr. O'Reilly preferred to choose books that had been made into a movie. After they finished the entire book and took the test, the class will have a movie day where each student can bring in their pillows and a stuffed animal while they enjoy the movie, regardless if they got a good grade or not.

Kimmy sat in on the vocabulary lesson, going over the list of words as a class, but he told her not to worry about the words she missed. While the class read through the chapter, Kimmy was able to go sit at a nearby picnic table under a shade tree outside their classroom to read on her own.

Kimmy did not mind sitting outside, even with the heat. Even better, to read on her own. Reading was the only thing other than recess and the end of the day she loved. As long as what she was reading grabbed her attention, anyway. There were teachers who chose some boring books and stories.

While she read the chapters, Mr. O'Reilly brought out a cold bottle of water, sitting it on the table near her papers. He also gave her a granola bar he keeps for all the students, among other snacks. Kimmy read until it was time to go to the special of the day. He called her in first so Kimmy could put her stuff into the folder Kayla had marked for Reading and had everyone line up in a single file line in no particular order. Which meant Kimmy went to the back of the line so as not to draw attention from anyone.

Billy, however, followed her. On the way to the special, he twisted around to look behind him to re-ask his previous question. When he didn't receive an answer, he told her Mr. O'Reilly was okay with them talking in the line. They just couldn't yell.

But Kimmy remained silent.

"You're a Rudy Rude," he said as if offended, turning to face forward. 

As the class took their seats in the art room, Mr. O'Reilly introduced Kimmy to the art teacher, Ms. Rainford, before he left. She let Kimmy sit at any table she wanted, choosing a table that only had one kid already sitting there.

Art class started with Mrs. Rainford showing them how to draw a focal perspective scene and walked the kids through the process on their own sheet of drawing paper. Kimmy knew a little about art from watching Mal's art YouTube channel, but that was with paint. Mrs. Rainford gave the kids crayons or markers to use once they had their road drawn and let them fill in the rest of the scene while she played soft classical music.

The girl sitting there at Kimmy's table offered conversation while the two colored. Her name was Lucy, a small, brown-haired girl, with her hair in braids and wearing a shirt with a unicorn on the front. Her skin was a darker tone than Mary and Miguel's.

Lucy seemed friendly enough, and Kimmy listened to her, but mainly focused on her art project.

To the best of her ability, Kimmy tried to draw everything blocky, drawing a Minecraft world similar to Mrs. Rainford's drawing. The trees on both sides of the road were rectangular, with a cloud-shaped green block on top. She drew a blocky pig on one side and a Creeper and Enderman on the other. On the road she drew the player's character. Unfortunately, Kimmy had spent so much time drawing the scene out, she didn't have time to finish coloring and only the trees got filled in. So, she had to turn it in, unfinished.

The kids returned to the classroom to start on math for a bit until it was time for lunch. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

960 149 30
Denise is searching for a miracle to get rid of a heartbreak.....she soon finds one.....Sam, the church boy who for some reasons sees his sister in h...
645K 24.7K 67
Kayla, 17. She is trying to do what she has to do to provide for herself. Kayla's dad was always there for her, loved ANC cared for her, they had a g...
630 24 15
In a world where not even children dare put their faith in one another, poverty and sickness prosper. A nameless boy that interrupted a quarrel betwe...
26.6K 2.5K 40
~Featured in Wattpad Editor's choice list~ ~Featured in Editor's picks list: (Wattpad's handpicked favorites)~ Maya's dad died when she was four, so...