The half of me / Duskwood

By Lyon-Amore

A year after the events of Hannah's kidnapping, that case had made her gain a group of friends from whom she... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Characters
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue
Special thanks

Chapter 23

214 11 54
By Lyon-Amore

The sound of Jake's keys had been better than listening to any soothing music to sleep.

When I wake up, I see that I don't have my phone next to me. I quickly get out of bed, walking down the stairs.
I walk into the kitchen and see my mother with the coffee in her hand.
    "Good morning, honey" she tells me, picking up my phone from the counter ". I went into your room to see how you were doing and it wouldn't stop ringing, so I took it with me so you could rest better."
    "Mom..." I snort and reach over to pick it up.
    "I'm sorry daughter, but after what happened you need to rest" she brushes my hair away with a smile ". I have spoken to Lilly, I hope you don't mind, they are all worried about you."
     I nod reading the messages. Everyone asks if I'm okay after the arrest.
    "What if you go to Duskwood until they arrest Daliah's murderer?" I look at my mother surprised "Honey, you're going through terrible things, I think it would be good for you to leave until things calm down a bit."
     Duskwood is further away from Evergreed, if I leave now, I'd be away from Jake and we're investigating together.
    "I can't." she answered with a weak voice. I need to stay.
    "Does a boy have to do with it?" She arches an eyebrow with a smile.
     I can't help it and I blush. I finally nod and she laughs, hugging me.
    "I'm glad you found someone special" she whispers to me ". I hope he's taking good care of you.
    "Yeah, he cares a lot about me and you guys" I admit, so she knows Jake is thinking of them ". He really helps me deal with the situation."
    "Why don't you invite him to have dinner with us this week?" She gives me a tap on my shoulder, with a mischievous smile "I have to take a good look at him to give my approval."
   <<I wish he could come.>>
     I laugh and I give her a kiss on the cheek.
    "I'm going to shower-"
    "Shall I make you breakfast?" I look at her as if I were saying no "I haven't made breakfast for my daughter in years."
    "Okay." I sigh with a slack laugh, and I left the kitchen.
     At least, I'm glad to see that we finally talk like before. I think that this way we will get along better to support each other.

After a hot shower, I decide to write to the group saying that when I leave my parents' house, I would talk to them.

I go down the stairs and there is a knock on the door. When I look through the peephole, I see Elliot. I take a breath trying to calm down.
I open it and his look is almost pleading. Without needing to say a word yet, he apologizes with his eyes.
    "Can we talk?" He asks me, drawling his words.
    "I don't think that-"
    "It's important." he says firmly.
     I inhale and nod.

I'm too good to him despite what happened. I always keep giving him chances.

I excuse myself to my mom and go out with Elliot.

At first no one says anything despite everything there is to say to us. We only walk, listening to the laughter of the children preparing to go to school with their parents.
I see some girls who are twins and I smile when I see how they talk animatedly to each other. I miss being able to tell Daliah all my secrets like before, sharing with her that I've seen Jake and we're together, watching her get a little upset and then accepting it even though she doesn't like it.
I need my best friend...
    "Do you remember when we met?" He asks me and I look at hi, "You had your hair up with some blue clips with small flowers."
    "Do you remember what I was wearing that day?" I look at him strangely.
    "I like to remember the important things in my life" he says with a smile on him lips. I look away embarrassed ". It made your eyes stand out." I swallow nervously. Trying to stay calm ". Dare I say, I was going to the store just to see you."
    "That's... a little scary."
    "I wanted to know which of the pieces of furniture you could spend the most time with me showing me and talking about."
     In other words, his strategy was to keep me occupied with the rest of the clients. Have me to himself.
I don't know what to think of that right now.
    "But Daliah came." I reply, to keep his mind on Earth.
    "Yes" he sighs between his teeth ", just at the most inopportune moment."
     I remember that day. I was laughing at a comment Elliot had made, but I don't remember now what it was, although it was the first time a guy had made me laugh like that. In part, I think I liked him.
Daliah then appeared walking towards us. We were going to go to lunch together that day and she fell for him and started being flirtatious.
I walked away to continue working, I imagined that in the end it was going to happen, that she was going to be interested in Daliah.
And right the next day, she told me that she was going on a date with Elliot Bloomgate. The most attractive policeman in town. She was excited and with a smile that no one could erase. I was happy for her.
    "What does that have to do with it now?" I ask, stopping my pace, trying to figure out why he's telling me about our first meeting.
     Elliot stands in front of me. Head down. I would like to try to get into his brain to find out what is happening right now, why all this, kindness, is he still guilty of arresting me? He could have helped me with his superiors.
    "I wanted to talk to you about that weird guy-"
    "He is not weird, Elliot" I defend Jake, crossing my arms ". He only wanted to help me."
    "And how is it that he knows about Armando Serrano?" He stares at me and I look away. He lets out a slack laugh ". That's why you got in touch with that guy again, you're investigating your sister's murder."
     I bite the inside of my cheek. I mustn't tell him that we're looking into a murdered person's computer. It would be yet another reason to arrest me for obstructing the police and their investigation.
    "Was he the one you smiled for the other time?" I'm surprised by the question, I thought we were going to talk about the investigation "MC, you shouldn't be with someone like him."
    "If you knew him better, you'd surely see that he's a good person" I reply weakly, guarding my words ". And it's not like we see each other either, we just talk again on the phone..."
    "He is not a good person" I look into his eyes and he sighs ". Listen, he threatened me, has he told you?"
     I shake my head. Did he threaten him? Jake?
He threatened to make me look like Daliah's killer and to hack into police files and destroy everything." His tone is one of real anger. I shake my head ". MC, that guy doesn't care about the work we're doing to find out who murdered your sister."
    "No, that's not true-"
    "He doesn't care about anyone except himself, you shouldn't continue with someone like that, who knows what trouble he can get you back?"
    "He really cares about me, he helped me" I say, fixing my eyes on his ". Elliot, he would never be able to hurt me or anyone else."
    "Your expression gives you away" he says, shaking his head. " He has done it right? He almost hurt someone."
    "But not because he wants to-"
     With him you will only have more and more problems. How many people do you think he will be able to do the same to?" I look away, "Tell me, how many people are he going to keep threatening?"
I take a deep breath. I don't know what to say. Yes, it is true that he almost hurt Mike, but I don't think he does it because he is violent... right?
But threatening Elliot... why did you do that, Jake?
    "MC" he places his hands on my cheeks and caresses them ", you don't know how sorry I am that day for accepting that date with Daliah, I should have asked you first and not have chickened out for not doing it."
     I stay silent, my heart beating fast. I didn't think he would tell me this after so many years.
    "Why did you break up?" I ask, wanting to get that question out of my head "Was it because of me?"
     Elliot meets my eyes and shakes his head.
    "No, there was one other thing" His hand brushes my hair from my face, tucking it behind my ear ". It was... Ha... It was talking about the future with my mother" he says wistfully ". We were talking about starting a family and Daliah said that she didn't want children."
    "Just for that?"
    "Maybe she never told you, but she was still afraid after years of the kidnapping" his voice tries to calm me down with her explanation ", she didn't want the same thing to happen to her son. We argued about it, but she wouldn't come to her senses. Her fear was stronger."
     And she was still young" I tell him a little annoyed ". I think that conversation should have waited."
    "It was never going to happen. In the end, Daliah was a free soul, she wasn't into compromise" he moves away from me and walks slowly again and I follow him ". She told me herself, that she didn't see me in the future, that she didn't want to see herself in Rosenschwarz with three children and her preparing breakfast for them every morning" he says with a laugh. I guess remembering that moment ". So I preferred that we broke up."
     I nod slowly. I don't understand why Daliah didn't tell me about this, I can understand that maybe it wasn't something that special, but I could understand her. I know what you went through.
    "Then there was you" I look at Elliot, who looks at me at the same time ", I loved Daliah, but I couldn't stop thinking about you" I look down, uncomfortable ". It hurts me to admit that maybe I should have said your name while we were in bed."
    "I don't want to hear this." I say, turning around.
     Elliot stops me, holding my hand.
I want to look into his eyes, but he makes me uncomfortable. He has told me as if it were something normal. I don't want to know if he really said my name when he was with Daliah, I would feel guilty that I broke off their relationship despite not having done anything.
    "Forgive me" he says slowly ". I don't want you to have the wrong vision of me now" he caresses my hand slowly, coming back to me ". MC, I love you" my eyes stop at his gaze, observing him well. I think he meant it ". Don't waste your life with someone you know can never make you happy, he will always put you in danger."
I look down, perfectly understanding his words.
I dare not answer him, I know he is right. It is dangerous. It always will be.
Incredible... It's making me doubt.
I shake my head, slowly letting go of his grasp. Although it's not like he's holding me tight, he just holds me very carefully, as if he were going to break me.
    "Do you think I don't know?" I tell him, swallowing "Daliah also told me, warned me about it."
    "You should have listened to her better."
     I nod slowly.
    "Yes, I should have."
     There is silence between the two and I breathe heavily.
Elliot runs his fingers over my face and I look at him, confused.
    "Be careful with him, please" he whispers against my lips and I get nervous, remembering his kiss ", I don't want to lose you."
     I don't say anything, I just stay tuned to see if he's going to kiss me or not.
But finally, he breaks away, walking away.
I begin by breathing rapidly, desperately gasping for air. My head is spinning after all this conversation. I didn't think I was actually going to be this nervous around him.

I return home, nervous, nauseated. It's like going back to that year when Daliah always told me not to take chances with Jake. I know that there were things that I didn't tell her too, like for example, when I told him about my dream of what it would be like to be together. It was just a dream, nothing more than that, because having a fantasy like that didn't hurt, but Jake liked it and that made me happy. To have a small hope that he would be there.
    "Because you will, right?" I mutter, remembering that I said something similar to him. That MC was afraid of losing him, of losing the person who had given me a good and bad time, having several different emotions at the same time.
    "Of course not" Daliah replies, crossing her arms ". Someday he will disappear again because he has no choice and he will leave you alone again, and what will you do? Wait for him again? Stop harming yourself. I know i's beautiful, but you'll only hurt yourself. Leave it as in an adventure."
     I separate from the coat rack after putting the jacket down.
    "Stop showing up" I stand in front of her, clenching my fists ". You always have to tell me I forgot him! You always tell me that I have to leave Jake!" I start to cry, feeling a pain in my chest "Why don't you let me be happy with him? Why do you always take me away from him?"
    "Why didn't you tell this to Daliah when you were alive?" She answers harshly "And you're the crazy one who talks with an image that can't answer you! Do you think I'm going to do it now? I can only tell you what she told you, you will never have the answer you are looking for."
     The phone rings and I wipe away my tears.
Picking it up, I see it's the group chat.
I go to the sofa and answer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MC
Hi guys

Jessy

MC!

ARE YOU OK?!

DID THEY HURT YOU?!

WHAT DID THEY TELL YOU?!

Dan

I told you!

Damn!

You have to come to Duskwood now!

Lilly
Jessy, Dan, calm down, don't overwhelm her

Jessie

BUT LILLY! IT'S SERIOUS! THEY BELIEVED FOR A MOMENT THAT SHE KILLED HER SISTER!

Dan

What the hell is wrong with the Rosenschwarz police?

Do they give them the nameplate on the cereal boxes?

MC

No, but I'm starting to believe it

-----Cleo has connected-----

Cleo

But how is it that they have arrested you? With what proof?

MC

Because I trashed the store and cleaned it up

And since they found evidence that Daliah was on the night of the crime, they think I've hidden it

Jessy

But that's stupid!

That's why they can't arrest you!

MC

Well, for Elliot's superiors, it seems so...

Lilly

And Elliot agreed to the evidence?

MC

No, he wanted to help me

Jessy

Aww... ❤️

He's a great guy ...

MC

Until Jake acted on stage to give them a clue

Dan

He risked talking to cops?

MC

Yes

Dan

Jake?

MC

Exactly

Dan

Our Hackerman?

MC

Correct

Dan
The one who is wanted by the government?

MC

I have a feeling that you already do this to annoy us...

Dan

It surprises me, but it is an honor to know that he like to continue with suicide missions

He risking getting caught

MC

They won't

They both have a deal
Or rather, Elliot told me that Jake threatened him...

Lilly

Threatened?

Jake wouldn't be able to do that!

-----Thomas has connected-----

Thomas

Do you forget voting day?

Of course he is capable of threatening

How is it that you have forgotten and defend him?

Lilly

I have my reasons for doing it

But MC, Jake wouldn't be able to threaten a policeman, he knows what he's risking

MC

Elliot said that he threatened to accuse him of being Daliah's killer and of hacking into police files

Cleo

That's going a bit too far

Thomas

Yes he surely he is capable of it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The chat starts to change and Nymos's eye appears on the screen, reading the messages, then he looks at me and ''smiles''. I don't think it's Jake, he's more of a face recognition.
If it was Jake, he'd be glaring at me for recounting what Elliot told me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Nym-0s has connected-----

Nym-0s

I just showed him something that I knew he would care about.

I did no even threaten him with hacking anything.

MC

He told me that you wanted to accuse him of being the alleged murderer of Daliah!

Nym-0s

Maybe I did hint to him that people might suspect him because of what I showed him.

I just wanted him to listen to me because I know that he is into you.

MC

You once told the group that you had access to their accounts, how can I not believe that you can say that too just to help me?

And risk being tracked down by the police for threatening them?

Nym-0s

But never that I would get into the files.

Do you really think I can do it?

My biggest problem was keeping you safe, hacking into the files would be risky for both of us right now.

MC

THREATENING TO HACK THE POLICE!

Nym-0s

I am telling you that I did not.

MC

Stop risking so much for me!

Nym-0s

If I do not do it, who is going to do it for you? If the police are not helping you, they are accusing you of something you did not do.

Thomas

Eh... I think this is not the chat for you to discuss

MC

Sorry...

Nym-0s

I think my intentions are clear.

I will do anything so you do not get accused.

You want it or not.

Jessy

Hmm...

I was thinking about everything that is happening to MC

It is assumed that the murderer is also after her

But it seems that he tries to blame her for what happened with Daliah.

Why do it? 😕

Cleo
Right, instead of killing her, it's like it wants her to end up in jail

Nym-0s

I only have two theories at the moment:

Daliah worked for a businessman named Armando Serrano, who, in turn, is a moneylender at Evergreed. He also knew MC, but not MC directly, but Daliah pretending to be her.

Dan

I'm not in the hospital and I already have a headache...

Nym-0s

Daliah was afraid that this man would recognize her, the reason we still do not know what it is.

Then the other theory:

MC was the one who got Krebs identified as the Kelpie killer.

Daliah was supposed to have died as a child, so whoever murdered her finished the job. And with MC, do the same thing she did to Krebs, accuse her of being the murderer of her sister.

Lilly

But who is the most interested in putting her in jail?

Nym-0s

An impersonator or...

Maybe the son or daughter of Krebs

Thomas

If I were Krebs' son, I wouldn't want anything to do with him, honestly

Cleo

Right, why would you want to finish your father's work? A murderer?
It doesn't make a lot of sense 🤨

Nym-0s

That is why they are only theories.

I am currently looking through the social services files for anything related to that child.

But unfortunately, the Krebs I have researched have nothing to do with him.

If it is as I think we think, they should have changed the last name so that the press would not go after him or her.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get a notification from Grace.
I read that she asks me to go to the academy to meet with the group, which is urgent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MC
Guys I gotta go, they need me

Dan

The joy gang?

MC

Yes, Grace is asking me to go to the academy

Jessy

How come?

MC

She says it's urgent

Dan

And this is how MC went to her death

Jessy

DAN! 😡

Dan

It's a joke, beautiful

I know it's going to be okay
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, just as well because Daliah isn't like she threatened half the academy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MC
Well, I will tell you more details that we discover

Nym-0s

Can we talk now, MC?

MC
Sure

Good bye guys

Lilly

Have fun at least with your friends 😊

MC

Yes I will 🙂
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I change my clothes, this time not wearing Daliah's clothes to avoid the same thing as yesterday.

I get the call from Jake. I try to calm down, I'm still nervous about what happened in the chat. After everything Elliot has told me, I don't know what to do.
I answer the call, but keep quiet.
    "Are you still angry?" He asks without greeting as well, rather worried.
    "No" I answer honestly ". It's not that I'm angry, but annoying. You are one train stop away, do you know what will happen if Elliot finds out?"
    "It is not convenient for him to do it."
     I pinch the bridge of my nose.
After the conversation with Elliot, he is more than capable of doing it. He doesn't like me keeping in touch with him.
    " Did you call me just for this?"
    "I just wanted to tell you that I have not really threatened to hack any files" he sighs heavily ". I wanted you to know and that I do not want us to fight either."
     I sigh as I heard him speak embarrassed. I don't want to either, but I'm not in a good mood after talking to Elliot. Knowing things I had no idea about him and Daliah, that one of the things they broke up for was my fault... I never got into the relationship and yet I feel like I did.
I don't know whether to believe that he really didn't threaten him either. As I already said in the group, in the vote he was able to do it.
    "Well, I guess I'll believe you" I bite my tongue, controlling myself ", and it's not like I always argue with people, I'd rather not."
     I get a message and see that he has sent me a smiley face.
I don't think he's going to fix it with that.
Oddly enough, I have a moment too much Deja vu, with Daliah telling me to stay away from Jake. Now it's Elliot doing it and at least he has more reason to tell me. He is police.
    "Elliot finally told me" I say finally ", the reason he and Daliah broke up."
    "And why did they do it?"
     I leave the apartment and slowly go down the stairs.
    "Daliah just didn't want kids and he did" I shrugged, not wanting to tell him the rest. Nor do I dare to tell him that he has told me that he loves me ", so they broke up because they were not looking for the same thing in a relationship."
    "Are you sure it was because of that?"
    "Yeah, why wouldn't it be for that?"
     He stays quiet and I wait by the car before getting in.
    "Well, I have to go to the academy." I finally open the door, getting into the car.
    "MC, wait a minute."
    "What's happening?"
    "Just..." he sighs and finally speaks. Although I expect otherwise "Have a nice day."
    "Thank you..."
     I hang up and put the phone in my bag.
I know it's my fault this time for keeping my distance today. I just need to calm down and everything will go back to normal between me and Jake. I need a little time to be calm. I want to erase the words of Elliot and Daliah telling me that I can't be with Jake or he'll disappear again, leaving me alone.
I don't know why I haven't told Jake, my worries, my fears. I know he will tell me that won't happen, that he will always be by my side. But I guess it's because part of me thinks that's what I want him to say because he already told me once and... He disappeared. I'm afraid that maybe that's a curse those words.
As soon as I can again, I will go back to see him and fix it as it should.

The academy was near the town hall. It was thanks to the beginning of the cinema that one of the former mayors decided that young people could have an opportunity to let their creativity fly and make good stories that would excite the entire town, thus being an academy to help young people who at the moment they couldn't afford a luxury academy or for those who are still looking for what they want to do with their lives. It was a moment life saver for many.
I enter the building with the wide corridor and look for the room number that Grace had sent me.
Finding the class, I see through the door window that there are more people. I guess people who participate in the horror short movie. Only six people in impossible to make a short.
I open and enter, waving shyly. Many of them I don't know.
There are murmurs when they see me and I get more nervous. Luckily Grace walks over to me and hugs me.
    "I'm glad you're okay" she murmurs, then smiles at me ". We have to tell you what happened" she brings me closer to the rest of the group and begins to speak ": We are missing several scenes all over the place in which Daliah appeared and well" she looks at me almost as if she wanted me to forgive her ", we have voted if It was a good idea or not for you to help us, you wouldn't have to talk, it's just scenes where it's about standing still or running."
     I swallow nervously. I don't know how to act, but replace Daliah? I don't know who to look out for among his friends.
That's when I then remember the conversation with Ralph and look at him. He is calm or rather, he even he seems a bit withdrawn. Is he high?
    "I don't know if-"
    "For the record, Mason and I have said no" Jane answers quickly ", we don't think it's right for you to replace Daliah, it's very..." I see her shiver and Carter puts his arm around her, supporting her.
    "Seo-ah has held back because she can't bring herself to say yes or no." Carter says, staring at her.
    "I think it's MC's decision to accept or not, not our decision." she replies, with a timid voice.
    "Sounds good to me" Ralph gets up from the table, approaching us ", so it's much more morbid to watch a movie where a girl who died appears" I bite the inside of my cheek, avoiding looking at him ". You know, like The Crow movie."
    "That's not morbid, it's disrespectful." Mason answers annoyed.
     I appreciate that Jane and Mason are on my side.
Yes, it is true that it is disrespectful, but it is the last thing that Daliah filmed. If I can help make people remember her, then it would be like a nice tribute.
    "If it's just showing up without talking, fine" I replied, pinching my shirt sleeve ". It would be a nice memory to see Daliah one last time."
    "Are you sure?" Grace asks hesitantly "I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to."
    "No, it's fine" I nod slowly ". I want to help in whatever I can."
    "Okay, then" she looks at Carter and points to him ". Can you show her the scenes they are? So she can get an idea of how to act on them."
    "Sure." Carter nods and gestures for me to come closer to him.
     Everyone starts to spread out, doing their chores.

I go over to Carter and he shows me the scenes on the computer.
    "Are you sure about this?" He asks me in a serious tone.
    "Well" I shrug, not quite sure ", I want to help you and help Daliah. I want people to see how great she was."
    "I don't know if you're crazy or too brave." he goes scene by scene and I'm paying attention to her.
     She's beautiful. It's from before she cut her hair and dyed it. I don't know how to act, but I suppose it shouldn't be difficult, it will be like singing, just learning the expressions of the moment.
    "Wait, what is that?" I ask, looking at the thumbnail.
    "This?" Carter puts on the video and my breath catches " He is the 'villain' of the film, we were looking for legends and in the end we chose the one of 'The man without a face'."
     I start to tremble when I see the mask and I remember Richy's video call. Why choose a legend from another town?
    "Who chose this villain?" I point to the screen, shaking.
    "I think Daliah did it" he replies with a grimace "She said that she remembered seeing a story that you showed her and she liked the idea, although she only commented on it because we were talking about legends that we knew, then we voted and it was unanimous. Although your sister still didn't like it because it was scary."
     I keep my gaze fixed on the screen, hugging myself as I remember everything I went through in that moment. But at the same time, remembering those eyes that looked at me explaining the story of why everything happened.
I don't know if this is a good idea. I wouldn't even take it as therapy.
    "All the dolls are already made" Seo-ah approaches with a small cardboard box and takes out handmade dolls "What do you think?" She asks Carter.
     I take one out and examine it. They're sewn together like the doll I found in that box Daliah had.
    "Have you made them?" I ask, picking up another.
    "Yes, they are the children's toys in the past who did bad things" she replies with a dark voice "or at least that's how we've written it in the script."
     I nod at the doll, frowning.
    "What's going on?" Carter asks me.
    "I..." I try to speak, but the words don't come out. Does Grace know they look like that toy horse we found?
     I look at Seo-ah and she looks at me confused. I don't want to think that she's behind all of this, not after helping her.
I put the doll back in the box and went back to watch the Daliah scenes.
Some are incomplete, as if they were missing. I guess these are scenes that they couldn't finish with her.
    "BUH!" I listen next to me, seeing the mask of the man without a face.
     I squeal and put my hand on my chest, while he laughs.
I recognize the voice: Ralph.
    "Cool, right?" His way of talking is heavy, almost like he's having a hard time talking. Exactly, he must be high "The costume designers have done an amazing job."
    "They worked pretty hard, actually." says Carter.
    "That's thanks to my instructions." Seo-ah smiles proudly.
     I feel like they're laughing at me today for what happened. As if they had prepared it, did they not know anything about what I went through? Daliah didn't tell them my story?
Ralph looks at me, pointing to the mask.
    "Don't you like it?"
    "No, yes" I nod, avoiding looking at it much ". It's just... I'm more into romantic comedies than monsters from legends."
     He laughs and puts his mask back on, walking away.
    "Everything is ok, MC?" Seo-ah asks me.
    "Nothing, I'm fine." I try to put on a smile, but all I think about is how I couldn't do anything for him. How I couldn't convince him a little more.
     I have a feeling it's going to be another difficult day.

*Jake POV*

I clench my fists just thinking about what Elliot would have been saying to MC, she is been weird with me, like I am guilty of something.
I understand her concern for me, but she has nothing to fear. I have Elliot where I want, I can handle him however I want.
Realizing it is too dark a thought, I shake my head, trying to recover myself. I am not good at all. As I already told myself, it was a difficult year and knowing that thanks to him they separated me from MC, it is normal that I only feel hate.

What MC does not know is that to investigate the son or daughter of Krebs, it means going back into the government archives, since children are protected by law, but thanks to Elliot's call, I have managed to access their files data and get his police number so I can get into those files, so I am doing something more or less legal, but not quite, since if they find out that Elliot is not currently looking at every file, he can suspect me.
I have even looked at the last name of Krebs's deceased wife, but unfortunately, all the children who were admitted on that date were already quite old, and those are harder to protect in the press.

I put the computer aside, trying to calm down. I feel powerless for not having discovered anything about that child. Where can he be?
    "Unless..." I start to think, maybe that file is no longer there because "It was adopted."
     If I think about it, that son or daughter would have gotten rid of the last name once they were adopted by the new family.
Which is now a longer task. We are referring to a child protected by law and adopted, access to these files is with special permission.
My cell phone rings, and I see it is Mike.
I roll my eyes at his words.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike

You're in luck Jakie!
Program at 15% done!

Jake

When it is 100%, let me know.

Mike

Hey, cheer me up a bit since the news of MC's arrest and working hard all night
My eyes will fall

Jake

Welcome to my world then.

Mike

This is what you do every day?

How do you sleep?

Jake
I simply do not need it.

Mike
I'm starting to understand why you're always in a bad mood

Because you don't sleep

Jake

Anything else?

Mike

How is MC?

Jake

Well, I managed to avoid arrest.
I told them about Serrano.

Mike

Hooooohohohoho

I would not want to be in front when he finds out that someone have betrayed him

But I like your courage

Can I admire you?

Jake
No.

Mike

Auch, you didn't take a second to answer... 😭
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the MC's conversation and I bite the inside of my cheek, uncomfortable with the situation. I do not know exactly what happened to her, but all of a sudden, she stands up for Elliot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike

Something is bothering you?

Tell Daddy Mike what's wrong with you

Jake
First: Do not call yourself that.
Second:

...

It is for MC, today she is in a different mood.

Mike

Oh! Heart problems, brother?

Jake

No.
And do not call me like that.

Mike

Uh huh...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sigh, annoyed.
I have been alone so long I do not know how to make friends anymore and I do not know whether to call Mike that, we're just partners, I do not have to tell him what is going on.

I have no reason to do it.

Shit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake

She has spoken with Daliah's ex-boyfriend, the policeman.

And apparently, he is quite interested in her.

Mike
Ooooh!

A legal guy unlike you

I get it now

Jake
It is not because of that.

It worries me what he may have warned her about me.

Daliah told her that I caused her trouble.

And after what happened yesterday, they have spoken this morning.

The guy told her that I threatened him.

Mike

And you did it?

Did you threaten him?

Jake

Actually no.

But I do not know why he has told her that I would look in the police files.

Mike

We are talking about a policeman

And one IN LOVE with your girl

Jake, be careful, those are the worst

If you really are in that mess you showed me on that USB, then you should tread carefully

Jake

You worry about me?

Mike

I've never had a dangerous partner

And I don't accept them

But for you Jakie, I make a special case

You are the boyfriend of MC, Daliah's sister

Jake

I do not understand.

Daliah used you, why would you then?

I know that I threatened you and that you can tell the authorities about where I am.

Mike

Yes, that's right, Daliah just wanted to use me

But at least, she was a good girl who helped someone who was alone

We maybe just been fuck buddies, but at least she was still a friend of mine

And the friends of my friends are my friends

Jake
No second intentions with MC?

Mike

No, stop worrying about it 🙄 Not my type, I told you

And...

I also don't want the government to ask me how I know you

So, I prefer to have you as an ally

Jake
Ha ha.
:)

I do not think they would ask you, rather, they would arrest you for your illegal activities.

Mike

Hey! You also know how to smile by chat!

Jake

It is only an exception for today.

Mike

I know I'm impressing you

Soon we'll be best friends

Jake

If you are happy imagining it.

Mike

Anything else is known about the investigation?

Jake

Someone tries to accuse her of the murder of her sister.

Mike

Poor thing...

They don't even give her a break

Jake

I am beginning to change my mind.

I do not think I want her to stay in Rosenschwarz.
But I know she would not leave until the investigation was done.

Mike

And why doesn't she go with you?

Jake

Now that Elliot knows that I am back, I do not think that is a good idea.

And I do not know when we will see each other again either because she will be more watched.

Mike

I'm surprised

You have risked not seeing her again just for her

Jake

I will always do it.

Mike

Wow...

I really want to be like you when I grows up

Finally, I go back to work

It's a pleasure talking to you, Jackie

Jake

Thanks for the conversation.

Mike

Hey, call me whenever something worries you

-----Mike has been disconnected-----
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left the cell phone on the bed and I think it is been a long time since I spoke like that with a... Friend.
I did not remember what it was like to have one and share my worries a bit.
I decide to pick up the phone again. I need to tell her or I will not stay calm.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake

MC?

I do not know exactly what Elliot has told you or what has happened between you.

But if something worries you, do not hide it from me.

We have been through too much now to go back to the beginning.

And this time I am the one asking you.

Let us talk about what happened when you are ready.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put the phone down again and put my head back on the pillow. I have not wanted to change the cover only because I did not want to take her away from my room.
I have a feeling that Elliot is trying to separate MC and me, or rather convince her that I am not good for her, like I think Daliah did, that is why our relationship was complicated after I came back after the hacker attack.
But this time is different. Elliot thinks of turning this into some kind of love triangle, to get her on his side, but I will not let that happen. I will do whatever it is in my power to avoid it, I will not let him lie to her. He knows full well that MC is too good, that she would do the right thing. It is one of the things that I admire the most about her, her big heart, but perhaps because Elliot lied on her, MC in the end moved away from me forever. And then I will be alone again. And Elliot will have won by hiding the truth, that he was always in love with her.

The sound that a new track has been found is played.
I sit up heavily, returning to the computer.
This time there was no name in particular. But a clue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry #####

Last night I had a dream that made me completely remember something that I had forgotten. Maybe because I was innocent at the time.

There was someone else in that place, someone watching. It was a boy. Or a girl. I don't remember because it was dark and when it spoke, I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl because I wouldn't stop crying.

I only remember individual words that it came to say to me, but one marked me forever:

"Daddy says you deserve it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Collide By Macey

Teen Fiction

20.6K 772 24
They were the best of friends for six summers in a row then she disappeared. She comes back as the new girl but changed from the girl in the summer...
140 36 36
When Julianna was four, she witnessed her mother murdered in a mugging gone wrong, a murder that her guardian angel wasn't able to stop. However, du...
Secret Out By Anj

Short Story

3.2K 715 12
The death of Hannah's best friend leads her into a confusing investigation trying to find the killer, proclaiming all her friends are suspects due to...
4K 477 58
Rejection hurts. But does it hurt enough that you'd be willing to let someone die? Li, a musician, meets a mysterious guy at a bar one night and give...