Flicker

By BeastEllie_

Valerie, a 21 year old female, comes home after a year of leaving after her accident to become a firefighter... More

Description
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
Flashback
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39

19

246 9 0
By BeastEllie_

A/N trigger warning is officially in effect if you'd like the details, message me

Valerie PoV

We've been home for about a week and everything's calmed down a little. Levi's trying to convince me to find a new job because he claims to hate me being in the line of fire. Literally.

"Mommy Grandpa's calling!" Daniel screams as he runs up to me.

I take the phone and smile at Jackson.

"Go somewhere Daniel can't hear." He says solemnly and Levi gives me an odd look.

I step outside and I can see Jackson's tears.

"What's going on?" I ask worried, feeling a knot in my stomach.

"You need to get to the hospital." He forces out and in that moment, I swear I could feel my heart plummet.

"Do I need to bring Daniel?"

His nod is what confirms it.

Something's wrong with Drake.

"I'm on my way."

I hang up and rush inside.

"Levi drop Gabby off at Ben's and meet me at the hospital!" I call out and he gives me an odd look as I grab Daniel and my car keys.

"Wallet." He reminds me and I grab my purse.

"Actually ask if she can sit with the neighbors." I rush out and he gives me a funny look.

"Alright."

The two rush out and I see Mrs Green happily let Gabby in.

Levi rushes over and jumps in the drivers seat as I buckle Daniel up.

"Please God, please let him be okay." I pray and Levi places his hand on my thigh.

"What happened?" He asks driving as I'm silently praying.

"Jackson called, something's wrong with Drake."

He starts driving faster and when we pull up to the hospital, Jackson is outside waiting for us.

"Natalia's in the room with him." He says quietly, in a solemn tone.

"What happened?" Levi asks as I fix Daniel on my hip.

"He ran into a house with a fire, no gear, and helped a pregnant lady out. The fire department from the neighboring city wasn't there so he ran back in for the woman's daughter. He was able to get her on the roof and he let her down by tying tree jump ropes together. Before he could get himself out the house-"

"Caved in?" Levi asks and Jackson shakes his head.

"It exploded."

We stop at Drakes room and my breath stops.

Natalia is sitting on a stool, holding his hands and praying.

"Oh my Gosh!" I scream as tears fill my eyes.

"He's brain dead." Jackson says quietly and I feel my heart stop.

Jackson grabs Daniel and I stare blankly at Drake. My husband.

I love this man. He irks my nerves like no other but I love him with my whole heart. We share a son and had a daughter together.

This can't be happening.

"Val!" Levi screams and I come back to reality, feeling my heart start beating rapidly.

"What's wrong with Daddy?" Daniel asks and I take his hands, kneeling down.

"We're gonna go say bye bye to Daddy." I explain and he tilts his head.

"Where's hims going?"

"Daddy's hurt, and the machine is the only thing keeping him breathing, but Daddy died." I explain and Daniel shakes his head.

"No Daddy didn't. Hims is breathing Mama!" Daniel says as he wipes my tears.

Natalia steps out and she nods at me.

I walk in the room and Drake is laying still.

He's wrapped up in a ton of bandages and I sit Daniel beside him.

"Tell Daddy bye." I say quietly and Daniel shrugs.

"Bye bye Daddy!" Daniel says, hugging Drake.

Natalia grabs Daniel from me and gives me a moment alone with Drake.

"Snap out of it Drake." I say quietly, "Come on, wake up!"

"Wake up, damn it!" I scream as tears flood my eyes.

I wrap my arms around him and kiss his head.

"Your son needs you."

I wait for a miracle like it does in the movies, but it never comes.

"I need you." I admit softly as I grab his hand, pulling it to my mouth and kissing it.

"I'm sorry for everything, every hurtful word I said. I'm sorry for leaving." I apologize and I take one last look.

I pull my phone out my pocket and take one last picture with him.

"I love you, Drake Nathaniel Harper. I'll learn to live without you, I'll make sure Daniel grows to be a good person." I promise before walking out.

The doctors come in and both Natalia and Jackson hold Drakes hand.

Natalia sits Daniel beside Drake and he cuddles up next to his dad.

It's sickening. It really is.

We watch as they unplug him and the monitors stop beeping.

"Time of death, 14:32." The doctor announces and I see Jackson and Natalia still praying over him.

I grab Daniel and pass him to Levi.

"Has anyone told Daisy?" I ask and Jackson nodded.

"She couldn't leave." Natalia says as tears are rolling down her cheeks.

She stands up and buries her face in Jackson's chest.

I walk out the room with Daniel in my arms and very shakily call Ben.

This isn't okay.

It will never be okay.

Drakes dead, my kid's officially fatherless.

I look down and feel arms hugging me.

"Let me have Daniel." Levi sighs and I pass him, hugging whoever it is that's hugging me.

When I look up, Jackson and Natalia have pulled me into their hug and we're all three just crying together.

"This isn't fair." I whisper and Natalia pulls me out and stares at me.

"I lost my daughter, now my husband. I can't loose anymore!" I scream and a doctor walks over to me.

"You're the wife?" She asks and I nod.

"We're separated but yeah."

"Your husband, when conscious, he wanted me to give you this if he didn't make it."

I take the paper and it's a picture of us four when Natalia first came home. I was holding her and Drake had Daniel on his hip. We're both smiling and just happy.

Life was good back then.

The doctor leave and I can see her wiping her own tears as she walks to another family. They have a crushing reaction.

I close my eyes and walk over to Levi, pulling him to the side.

I wrap my arms around him and he pulls me to a chair and sits down, pulling me into his lap.

Daniel sits on my leg and he wipes my tears away.

"Daddy will come back just like you did." He shrugs and I hold him as I lean into Levi.

Ben walks in he grabs Daniel with one arm, pulling me into a bone crushing hug with the other.

"He's with God now, trust him." Ben whispers, kissing my forehead.

I look down and feel my heart pounding out my chest.

This couldn't be real. I can't do this alone. Levi isn't a for sure forever. How do I manage this?

How do I possibly move on. My parents abandoning us for drugs hadn't hurt this bad. I remember one day we just stayed with Jackson permanently until Ben graduated.

Any spanking Jackson, Ben, Alayna, or even Natalia had hurt this bad. My Dad shoving me in a wall and calling me worthless, it didn't hurt this bad.

This is the most hurtful aside from my baby girl and that still hurts.

I feel my chest heaving and when I come to, Levi is shaking me and trying to get my attention.

"He's gone." I say quietly and Levi kisses me.

"I need you to be strong for Daniel right now, he doesn't understand but one day he will." Levi explains quietly.

I rest my head on his chest and try to stop the tears.

"I'm taking her home." Levi sighs and J shake my head.

"I want his phone." I demand and Ben rests a hand on my shoulder before walking over to Jackson and Natalia.

He walks back over and looks me in the eye.

"Are you okay to take Daniel or do I need to?" He asks without any judgement.

"I can keep-"

"I asked my sister, Levi. If she's no capable Im taking him because I know how bad her depression can get." He says darkly and Levi nods.

"I'm capable." Is all I say and he passes Daniel to me.

"If you decide you aren't and don't call me-"

"You won't touch her." Levi says just as darkly, cutting Ben off.

"I was gonna say at least call Jackson." Ben pauses taking a breath before continuing, "I appreciate you taking up for her."

Levi nods and he wraps his arm around me.

"Lets get you home."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 10.2K 42
[COMPLETED] "Mahal kita. Pero, mamahalin mo ba ako kung ang karangyaang maibibigay ko lamang sa iyo ay ang pagmamahal ko?" - Santino Basaltta
8.5K 231 12
C Tommy got traveled into a different university he doesn't know what to do what will he do no family or friends he alone
478K 27.3K 34
Formerly known as Kiss the Sky / Cora, a sexual-assault survivor who doesn't trust men, and Pace, the firefighter who rescues her, grapple with the c...
8.8K 126 14
First time writer, so please excuse any mistakes and do let me know so i can correct it. A family drama with a wealthy business man who enjoys being...