Of Fake Smiles and Broken Hea...

By kkaet_

{exo - kaisoo} Kyungsoo and Jongin are married-but Kyungsoo thinks they are just strangers living under the s... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six - final
notes
+
plus one
plus two
plus three

eleven

4.6K 305 69
By kkaet_

"Ah!" Kyungsoo hisses when he hit his injured hand on the sharp edge of the table, cradling his arm as he tries to ignore the pain by sucking air through his teeth. The man sleeping on the chair next to him sat up almost violently and looks around only to settle his gaze on Kyungsoo who's semi-crouching down from the unbearable pain.

"Kyungsoo!" He yells before going by his side and helping him to stand up. He winced when he sees the blood soaked in the bandages.

"Are you okay? Do you—do you want me to call someone?" Hyunsik says, eyes darting over Kyungsoo and the door, contemplating if he should leave the room and yell until someone comes over.

"It's just a cut." Kyungsoo answers, rolling his eyes at the latter. He picks up his phone on the table with his good hand and attempts to move towards the door when Hyunsik grabs his arm.

"Where are you going? Baekhyun will be here any minute now." Hyunsik says, looking over the text message from the said male before glancing back up at him worriedly.

Kyunsoo smiles and nods his head. "I know. I just—I need to go home. Jongin's waiting for me."

The lie rolls off his tongue fluently, trying his very best not to grimace at the crazy thought of Jongin waiting for him at the porch, looking as if he hasn't slept at all. It will forever be a lie. Hyunsik looks at him quizzically. "Jongin?"

"My husband." Kyungsoo answers.

He missed the way Hyunsik's face paled. "Oh! I—I didn't know that you were, um, married. That's—that's great! I'm happy for you, Kyungsoo."

He smiles timidly. "Thanks."

"I could give you a ride?" Hyunsik offers when he's just about to open the door, pale hands gripping the cold metal. "I mean, you're—you're injured and—it would really be hard to drive because it's dark and.."

"I'm taking a cab."

Hyunsik nods solemnly and turns around, trying to distract himself by arranging the fruits on the table. He laughs awkwardly and looks back at Kyungsoo who was staring at him. "What?"

"Okay, nerd. Drive me home." Kyungsoo says, smiling when Hyunsik quickly grabs his keys.

-

There's an odd feeling with having Kyungsoo beside you, Hyunsik thinks. It's a happy feeling, to say the least. A comforting aura that seems to ooze out of the younger male which makes him feel at home. It's strange that even if they haven't seen each other for a long time, they talks almost as if no time has passed. Hyunsik looks over to Kyungsoo beside him who was humming a song that was playing on the radio, fingers tapping in every beat. He smiles and focuses on the road instead, happy that Kyungsoo's somehow feeling relaxed.

The whole car ride was nothing out of the ordinary. They talked about random things before Kyungsoo decided to take a nap, soft snores and cute whimpers coming out of his mouth as he does. His head was lolling back and the older male can't help but silently laugh at his appearance. They were driving inside the village when Kyungsoo suddenly wakes up with a jolt, almost startling Hyunsik in the process before his mouth turns into the usual heart-shaped smile, apologizing profusely.

"Take a turn here." Kyungsoo says as he points to his right. Hyunsik nods and does what he's told.

The houses lined up with Kyungsoo's doesn't exactly have the 'home' kind of feel. Like, no one has ever lived there before—except not because Kyungsoo told him that there is. Everyone living on their street were families that came from high classes, traveling from different countries almost every month to attend parties and meetings just like Jongin and Kyungsoo. Hyunsik parks in front of a house, where Kyungsoo said was his. The light were on and there was someone standing on the porch with a book in hand.

"Is that your husband?" Hyunsik asks. Kyungsoo nods slowly, looking thoroughly confused.

Why is he still up?

"You could've called him to fetch you. Now I look like a threat to him. God, he looks like he's going to kill me." Hyunsik looks at Kyungsoo worriedly. "I'm gonna go say hi just for formality."

Kyungsoo looks at him before taking off his seatbelt and opening the car door. Hyunsik follows him inside, even opening the gate for the younger because of his injured hand (not just because of that, really). Jongin suddenly looks up from his book, only to see Kyungsoo and Hyunsik talking to each other in hushed whispers. Something sparks inside of him. He should be happy, right? Kyungsoo is smiling and it's all because of his friend. He's happy—even just for a while. He forgot Jongin—even just for an hour or two. He forgot their memories, the pain, and everything that hurts—even if it's just temporarily.

The introduction isn't something you can call as awkward because Jongin has been in too many occasions that counts as one, being in the business industry and all. All they could send each other were tight-lipped smiles and subtle glances at Kyungsoo who was staring at the ground the whole time, shifting his weight to his foot from time to time. Hyunsik waves at the both of them when he's about to enter his car, smiling widely at Kyungsoo's direction that doesn't go unnoticed by Jongin.

-

They sat in front of their house together after Hyunsik left, with Kyungsoo staring off into space and Jongin staring at his side profile. They didn't talk, only sighed occasionally and yawned. Jongin was leaning against the railing for a while now before shaking his head and entering the house only to come back out with a bottle of alcohol and two glasses. Kyungsoo looks at him and the drink in his hand curiously.

"Let's drink."

And they did. Kyungsoo was still hesitant at first, thinking about his low alcohol tolerance and the headache that will surely come with it tomorrow when he wakes up. He decided to drink up when Jongin downs his second one. They didn't talk while drinking. Jongin was still sober when Kyungsoo suddenly stands up, swaying from side to side. He laughs at him and Kyungsoo did too. They laughed for what seemed like an hour—laughing at both nothing and everything else around them because if they didn't, they'll cry instead. Jongin pulls Kyungsoo back down, afraid that he'll hurt himself and the older male plops down next to him with a thud, laughing. They are sitting too close now, with Kyungsoo's head dangerously resting on his shoulders. Jongin was feeling light-headed. Maybe it's because of the alcohol or maybe it's because of Kyungsoo.

Everything Kyungsoo does have an effect on him and he still doesn't know why.

"Jong—in." Kyungsoo slurred, eyes half lidded. He looks at Jongin through his eyelashes and smiles goofily at how close their faces were.

"Why do you.." He whispers. His breath tickled Jongin's neck and he slightly shies away, feeling intoxicated by Kyungsoo's breath. "Why do you hate me so much?"

The question startles him. Kyungsoo laughs again before closing his eyes, yawning slightly as sleeps takes him away. Jongin stares at the older male and sighs. He wishes that he was drunk enough not to remember this night, drunk enough not to remember the slight burn in his chest.

"I don't hate you, Soo." Jongin whispers.

But it's too late.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 4K 37
Sequel to "Cold hearted" - After Kyungsoo proposed to Jae, they expected the best to come. They're both already in the middle of planning everything...
7.7K 128 3
Do Kyungsoo's relationship with Kim Jongin was over. But it seems he couldn't move on. How could it be if Jongin had a dwelling place in his life alr...
8.1K 237 7
Kim Jongin loves to sleep because he always dreams of his schoolmate, the man of his dream and his dream, Do Kyungsoo. The only question is: Would J...
11.6K 511 14
Kyungsoo's life turned into a jumble mess after he met Kim Jongin.