A Son Of Two Dad's

By Connor345

MK was orphaned at a young age. He doesn't know why he's never felt normal, doesn't know why he's never fit i... More

Exposition
Tough decision
A home, eventually
Broken things
A friend
Invisible
Control
Training in shadows
Weapons
Shapeshifting
The attack
A broken seal
Flower Fruit Mountain
Trust
Bonding
Basically a sleepover
The room
Scares
To terrify an enemy
Power
Monsters
Manipulating situations (but subtly)
Impulsive
Help
Comfort
Blue
When a plan goes awry
Confessions and conversations
The truth
Into the mind
Argument
Battle of wills
Worse before it gets better
Search
Customs that don't exist
Change in sequence
Illusion
Forgotten
Still no further
Ocean of tears
Revealed Reality
Aftermath
Home
Bonding
Self-worth can't come from others
Comfort
Learning to show you care
Trusting again
Saying goodbye is always hard
Mistakes help us both learn
Unconditional Love
Break
Clutter
Sticky situations
Communication
Energy spent
A Content State
Just A Scratch
Three's The Charm
Fine Motor Control
Excess Energy
Distractions
Help
Zero left
Lean on me
The calm
Call to action
Coming together
Into The Enemy's Lair
Linked
Progress
Helping Hand
Plus One
Settling In
Empty
Vulnerability
Demons cave
Sabotage
Deal With The Devil
Mine
Weakness
Hasty Decisions
No Turning Back Now
Road To Healing
Unsatisfying And Unresolved
Motivation
Mourning
Blame Game
I Do Adore
Late Night Thoughts
Emotional Release
Food Thoughts
Settling In
Separated
Weak Planning
The Plan
Charged Energy
Information Gathering
Part 99
Part 100
Judge, Jury, Executioner
Blame Game
The Epicentre
Frozen with fear
Thrown into battle
Terrified
I've got you
Monkey in the Middle
Game Over
Countdown
Careful What You Promise
Running out of time
Misleading
Hourglass
Out Of Time
Shock
Uncertain
Anticipation
Stay with you
I'm here
Lingering Consequences
Longer than you thought
Info Gathering
Gift of Friendship
Home Sweet Home
Hiatus
Loose Lips
High Feelings
I'll tell you because you asked
Didn't know I needed you
Different forms of socialization
Paying Attention
You asked so I delivered
Quicker Transportation
Adoring You
Gravity
Just a Nightmare?
Weapons
The Key
A Crush
The Arcade
Protective, Sweet Side
Calamity
The Sequel

Azure

1.3K 32 20
By Connor345

Mei blinked as it opened, looking back at the scroll curiously while everyone else in the room froze. Mei didn't seem particularly worried about the opened scroll but then why would she? She, like MK, had no idea what it did. 

Ink, black and thick dripped down from the scroll suddenly, pouring out in clumps and Mei scrunched her nose up, dropping the thing as it clattered to the floor noisily, a puddle of ink growing around it while it glowed a faint blue. 

"Eww." The girl grimaced in disgust, taking a step away from the growing puddle of black so she didn't get any on her shoes. 

MK turned in Baba's arms so he could see better, eyes wide and watching as the goop on the floor rose somehow, gaining shape and dripping as three figures that looked like soldiers with glowing blue eyes emerged from the puddle, lanky and tumbling into each other to twist into something else, building up into a tall figure that loomed high about Mei, its shape becoming something familiar. 

"Father?" 

"DBK?" MK and Red both spoke at the same time, tones equally confused as the voice of the demon roared through the room.

"Failure! Traitor!" MK's eyes were on the monster until he caught sight of Red Son, who was staring up at it with horrified eyes and shaking hands. With a growl and glowing eyes, the black figure slammed his hands down onto Mei, the girl yelling only to be tackled by Macaque at the last second, ink DBK's hands crushing into the floor instead. 

Shoving an arm out protectively so Mei was behind him Macaque stood his ground, tail lashing out as a stone dropped in MK's stomach, reaching out a hand towards his dad worriedly. 

"W-what's going on? What is that thing?" MK asked in quick succession, Wukong not moving as he gripped MK, his own gaze stuck onto the creature. 

The thing twisted around, briefly turning into Princess Iron Fan and then MK heard a giggle, the sound of that voice sending shivers down his spine because that voice he knew all too well, horror bubbling inside his chest as he fought the urge to clamp his hands over his ears but, to his relief, the figure changed into someone MK didn't recognize with a long spear held high and a ribbon curling around their shoulders, wearing a tunic that reminded MK of a lotus shape. 

Macaque held a hand out defensively, protecting the girl behind him as the spear struck down, a voice MK didn't recognize echoing from the creature.

"Monkey no violence!" He heard Wukong's breathing hitch. 

"NO!" MK flinched as Baba yelled out, a hand reaching forwards as the spear struck down, and Macaque pushed Mei away from it as it crashed down, a small dust cloud obscuring MK's vision for just a second. 

It settled and MK could see Mei on her butt, staring at Macaque with wide, horrified eyes as the guy winced, going down onto one knee with his hand on his chest. 

"Damn." He pulled his hand away and it was black. Black like ink and dark as can be and MK watched, terror racing through his mind as that black spread across his dad's body, reaching out from his chest to the rest of him like a plague. 

"Macaque!" Wukong finally moved. 

Before MK knew what was happening he'd been set on his feet, too confused to argue because Baba was already gone, racing away towards Macaque in the blink of an eye, wind hitting the walls from his speed as he was left behind.    

"Wait-" MK reached out a hand, terror coursing through his veins as he watched Baba run right toward the danger, diving for Macaque just as the demon was consumed by the blackness and sunk into the ink puddle, leaving the immortal grasping at nothing as he landed on his knees.

"No!" Even at his anger-filled, dismayed shout, MK couldn't bring himself to move.

The creature, uncaring of their plight, twisted again into three more figures MK didn't recognize, landing on a bird demon with large wings and a razor-sharp spear that chuckled darkly, voice distorted the same way the others had been. 

"Some monsters never change." MK just about made out what it was saying, a war cry leaving the creature as it struck down, and Mei darted forwards when she saw that Wukong was simply staring at the incoming attack with wide eyes. 

"I've got your back!" The girl yelled out as she blocked the blow with her sword, green sparks burning from the effort and she gritted her teeth when her foot slid backward slightly, yelling out as she pushed forward again against the giant spear, her eyes narrowed in furry. 

"Dragon girl!" MK saw Red Son reach for Mei as the sound of cracking filled the air, the girl gasping as her eyes flickered down off the creature and onto her sword, watching with horror as cracks spread like spiderwebs along the blade. Then, with another push from the ink monster, it shattered, a cry leaving her lips as she was forced back by the blow and into Wukong's arms who had caught her before she could fall. 

"No." She whispered, her hands wrapped around the broken hilt of her sword and her eyes wide with grief. 

"We- we need to find a way to close the scroll." Wukong started saying only to look down at Mei and gasp, everyone else freezing in horror at the black mark on her chest that she hadn't noticed till then, slowly growing in size. 

"Sorry guys." She muttered and MK stopped breathing as she looked over at him, her expression sorrowful as just as suddenly as she was there, she wasn't, consumed by ink and slipping right through Wukong's fingers and into the ground, absorbed by the scroll.

Heartbeat loud in his ears MK stared, unable to accept what he'd just watched, unable to understand that his best friend was gone. He didn't even know if they could get them back. Why was he living a nightmare? Why was everything going all wrong? 

He didn't even have time to think as laughs echoed in the room from the creature, shifting into an elephant with a horned hammer and slamming it down on the ground. Wukong darted back to MK's side before he could be hit, Red Son following suit as the three stared at the thing. 

"What do we do now?" Red Son asked, voice higher than it normally was and MK clutched onto Wukong's clothes as he edged closer, staring at the thing not too far away from them as it turned to face them, twisting and splitting into thousands of reaching arms. 

"We get out of here, come on!" Wukong had both Red Son and MK's wrists in his hands as he darted forward out of another strike, pulling them with him as he made a dash for the exit to the room only to have hands slam down at them from above, the immortal just having time to throw them both to the side and out of the way as it descended.

Mk screamed as he went flying, slamming into a pile of artifacts and hearing Red Son land near him, immediately scrambling to his feet just to see Wukong covered in black ink, only his eyes and his pained grimace in colour.

"NO!" MK's shriek echoed in the room, the creature turning its gaze on him just as Baba fell to his knees, blackness creeping over his cheeks. 

"I'm sorry MK-" Was all he managed to get out before his face was consumed by the ink too and his expression went blank as his eyes glowed an eerie, empty blue. 

MK choked on another cry as Wukong sank into the ink, his legs and arms trembling as the creature faced him, unable to move. 

"Run, Monkey boy! Don't just stand there!" He heard Red yell as he was pulled backward and out of the way of a swiping hand, the demon keeping him close as his tail lashed out behind him.

"Come on, we need to find a way to close that scroll! Then we can work on freeing them somehow, okay?" He said, determination and concern in his voice and MK swallowed as he nodded, ignoring how scared he was as he breathed out a deep breath. Everyone was counting on him but at least he had Red Son. Together, they'd get them back.

After all Red Son always knew what to do! 

MK nodded before activating his golden vision, spotting the scroll on the floor in the middle of the mess easily and pointing at it as he shoved all of his feelings to the side. 

"I can see the scroll!" He told Red Son, who nodded and summoned his fire, hands blazing with heat.

"Then let's do this, Monkey boy." They darted out of the way of another attack, Red shooting his flames at the arm to see what it would do and grinning when it melted slightly at the heat, dripping off into puddles on the ground. MK felt his own hope bubble in his chest at the sight, moving to get a better vantage point only for the ink to twist into something else, something that had MK freezing on the spot.   

"Useless!" She yelled out, and even though she was made of ink MK still felt his stomach sink in his chest, fear paralyzing him as chills rushed down his spine as he stared up at the Lady Bone Demon.

It felt like he was back there. Like he was alone again in a void of nothing, listening and trapped as her voice was the only thing keeping him company. 

"She's not real, MK! Focus!" His ears made out but he could bearly even hear it over the sound of his blood rushing in his ears, feet glued to the ground at the sight of her face and grin. 

She raised an ice spike above her head over MK, the sheer size of it bigger than MK was himself and he couldn't move as she swung it down toward him, thoughts screaming at him that he was going to die.

She was going to kill him. 

Then he was tackled to the side suddenly, air knocked out of his body as he rolled to a stop on his back, Red Son leaning over him as the demon's hair flowed over his shoulders brightly.

"Damn it MK, get it together and help me fight! She's not here! It's not her!" The demon practically screamed at him but MK was staring up at him with wide, startled eyes, feeling his mouth gawk open as he tried to find something to say. 

Red Son quickly got off him, holding a hand out to tug him up and MK took with without blinking, letting himself be pulled numbly to his feat where Red was still holding his hand. 

It was warm, really warm and MK looked down at it as feeling came back to him, breathing out as he focused on the feeling of Red's warm hand against his rather than the aching chill in his chest.

"Okay. Sorry. I'm okay." He reassured and then quickly pulled Red to the side away from another blow, energy bubbling in his gut as he narrowed his eyes and decided not to look at the creature's face, knowing who he'd see. 

He didn't let it stop him even as she chuckled, her voice freezing his ears as his heart thundered in his chest but he didn't let himself slow. 

"I'll give you an opening! Get the scroll!" Red yelled as he let go of his hand, flames burning even brighter as he got in close to the ink monster, eyes determined as he shot burning flames at it, melting off clumps of ink as it yelled and screamed in frustration.

MK didn't waste a second before darting in close, tail whipping around as he ducked under hands that reached for him and jumped over black ice that lay in his path. Behind him, golden streeks lit his path, bright and shining. 

He blinked and everything was golden again, finding the scroll easily and waiting until Red burned the ink in his path before jumping forward to grab it, his fingers touching the edge before a hand came down on him. 

"MK!" Fire lit up the area around him, his eyes wide as he stared at Red Son who was standing over him protectively, his arms shaking with effort as flames created a shield above them and MK cried out as he saw black on the demons foot, his heart breaking. 

"Red you're-" It spread up the demon's leg, reaching his knee but the flames didn't let up. 

"Just grab it!" Red Son grunted, straining with the effort of the constant flames as the ink spread up to his waist and MK tore his gaze away to look at the scroll again, letting Red's shield of fire protect him as he grabbed for it, his fingers touching the edge before he snatched the whole thing into his arms, heartbeat pounding in his chest. 

"I got it!" He yelled out giddy, but his face lost all colour and paled as he looked up to see a fist bigger than his body rushing down to grab him, a scream escaping his throat as he squeezed his eyes closed and shut the scroll to pull it tight against his chest, bracing for the hit.  

...

Only nothing happened and suddenly it was utterly silent. Confused, MK opened his eyes slowly, blinking at the empty room and the distinct lack of ink anywhere. 

For a second he didn't understand but then he looked down at the scroll in his hand that was now rolled up and understood, a wobbly, relieved smile blinking onto his face.

"I did it!" He beamed out, excited for only a second until he looked around the empty room, stomach dropping at the lack of response. He looked back at the scroll. Right. Everyone was gone... 

The vault, which had felt so small fighting in before now felt painfully big, with too much space and so much empty room that MK felt his panic rush back into his system, his hands shaking as he clutched the scroll tighter. 

What... what should he do now? He was alone. 

Alone again and by himself as his breathing picked up, reminders of his time with her making the loneliness feel suffocating and cold. A small whimper escaped his throat as paranoia crept up on him. What if she came back right now? What if she came and he was alone and there was no one to save him this time? 

He didn't want to be alone again! 

Breathing beginning to come out labored MK tried to focus on what to do now rather than the crushing panic on his shoulders, his tail curling up around his leg as a form of self-comfort as he forced himself to actually use his brain and think for one damn second!

Where could we go? Pigsy and Tang would probably be in the shop, right? MK could go there, Tang was smart. He'd know what to do. With a plan in hand, MK stumbled away from the middle of the room to the door, legs feeling weak as he clutched the scroll tightly, making sure there was no way it could roll open again.

Footsteps. MK froze as his ears picked up the sound of footsteps not too far from him, in one of the empty rooms in the cave and his breath tightened in his chest as he flinched away, heartbeat roaring in his ears as his head span with thoughts of who it could be. 

The only thing he could think was that it was her though. That somehow she knew he was alone and had come to kill him or trap him.

The footsteps got closer and MK's heartbeat only got louder as the person approached, unable to move as the figure finally came into view. 

"Hand over the scroll, child."

It wasn't her. Relief swept over him instantly and he exhaled gratefully, taking a second to simply breathe before putting his guard back up, still not sure if this person was a foe or friend. 

Then he registered what the person had said, looking at the lion demon's golden armor and jaded sword with a searching, cautious gaze.

"No! I'll never hand it over to you, I need it!" He growled out defensively, his tail lashing out behind him as he readied himself for a fight. He wasn't going to let the others down and he certainly wasn't going to let them be taken by some guy who shows up demanding things! 

"It was not yours to seal in the first place-" The guy started but MK frowned in confusion and offense. 

"What- steal? I didn't steal it!" He huffed out and the guy raised an eyebrow disbelievingly. 

"Really? You expect me to believe you didn't steal it when it is in your possession now?" He asked and MK nodded his head. 

"Of course! I don't even know what it is so of course I didn't steal it. I just need it to free my friends and family so you can't have it!" He claimed defensively, ears on high alert as he tried to think of an exit strategy. How was he gonna get past this guy? 

"Your family?" The guy lowered his sword slightly, staring at the scroll with an inquisitive and then sorrowful look as he sighed and sheathed his sword, looking non-threatening enough but MK wasn't going to lower his guard so easily. 

"Then it appears we are on the same side. You must be MK, right? Successor and child to Sun Wukong?" He asked and MK nodded slowly, not sure he could trust the suddenly friendly tone of the guy. 

"Yeah? How'd you know that? Who are you?" He demanded and the demon smirked.

"I have gone by many names, but perhaps the one you are most familiar with is the Azure Lion!" He introduced himself proudly and MK blinked with a blank expression, more sure this guy, Azure Lion, wasn't going to try to kill him now but also never having heard of him at all. 

After a second of awkward silence where it was clear MK didn't know him Azure sighed and frowned slightly. 

"Or... not, okay any case I am here to help." MK felt his ears perk up at that, a little bit of hope wiggling its way into his chest at the admission. He was going to help? MK was going to be able to get his family back? 

"The scroll you're holding now is a fragment of the scroll of memory, an ancient artifact stolen from the underworld. If not by you then presumably by your father, Sun Wukong. He must have gotten sentimental in his old age, after all that scroll contains memories of his journey to the West." MK looked down at the scroll as Azure spoke, soaking up the words and information before looking back up again with interest, now more sure this guy was on their side. 

After all, no enemy tells someone loads of information about something they want! 

"You know Monkey King?" He asked with awe, wondering why he'd never heard the name Azure Lion before, even in passing, and then wondering if he knew Macaque at all either. The guy laughed and nodded. 

"Everyone knows the Monkey King, but yes, he was once my sworn brother." He had a slight nostalgic smile on his face as he spoke and MK finally relaxed as he realized this guy could definitely be trusted. But just to be sure...

"You know, one of Monkey King's other sworn brothers doesn't have the best relationship with him anymore, how do I know you don't want to kill him too?" He asked, talking about BDK of course but Azure shook his head, looking miffed at even the idea. 

"Wukong isn't the easiest person to get along with, that's true, but I'd never want to kill him. He meant everything to me." MK believed him, just listening to the tone of his voice told MK he was telling the truth.

MK sent him a small smile to let him know he trusted him too, feeling less on edge and less worried now that he was with someone that knew what they were doing.

"Great, so how do we get them out?" He asked almost cheerfully but Azure's face dropped at his question, sighing with a weight that made him seem older. 

"It is not that simple. The scroll is a prison, designed to contain wicked souls, forcing them to relive their past misdeeds over and over again for all eternity. A powerful protective curse was cast upon the scroll to prevent those from escaping and ensnare those that tried to free them. If we try to free your friends, the curse could spread and consume everything until nothing remains!" MK's stomach dropped at the information, going a little pale as he stared down at the scroll, wishing just once that things weren't so difficult. 

"I thought I arrived in time to contain the curse but it seems that I was too late and those you hold close to you have already been consumed." MK shook his head at Azure's apologetic, sorrowful tone, desperation raising his voice.

"But- but it's fine, we can get them back!" He insisted, but Azure Lion shook his head, arms crossed over his chest. 

"It's too late to save them, we can't risk unleashing the curse-" 

"I don't care about that! My dads are in there, my friends are in there, I can't live without them! I'm not resting until I've got them back. I'd do anything to save them so please, please help me." He begged, determination loud in his voice and he could tell Azure was thinking about it, could feel his hope rising in the pause that ensued after his declaration until finally, finally Azure smiled.  

"Alright, if your determination is as strong as it seems to be then perhaps there is a way but we need to move now!" MK tilted his head as Azure drew a circle on the floor with his foot and then sat down lotus style in it, a smile peaking onto his face as MK took a few steps closer. 

"Thank you!" He breathed out in gratitude, a cheeky grin spreading over his cheeks as a thought hit him. 

"You know, if you're my baba's sworn brother, doesn't that kinda make you my uncle?" He asked, watching as Azure's eyes went wide and then softened, a surprised but light laugh leaving him. 

"I suppose it does, now I'll open the scroll long enough for you to get inside, but finding your friends? That'll be up to you." MK nodded as he took a deep breath in, trying not to be overwhelmed as he handed the scroll over to Azure, hating the way he paused for just a second before letting go of the scroll. 

He hoped he was enough to find them all. 

"In order to escape the scroll you'll need to defeat its protective curse but that will take all of your strength to do so." The Lion warned and MK gulped, staring at the scroll as his mind conjured up images of the black ink thing that had attacked them, perturbed at the thought of facing it on his own and hoping he'd have everyone else with him when he did come across it again.  

"And MK?" He snapped his gaze up from the scroll and into his uncle's kind eyes, the older one giving him a reassuring smile and resting a large, warm paw on his shoulder.

"You can do this." Warmth filled his chest at the reassurance and confidence, his smile feeling bright on his face as he nodded.

Yeah! He could do this. He was going to defeat that curse and bring them all back safe and sound. 

"Thanks, Uncle." He replied softly and the hand on his shoulder gave him a reassuring squeeze before dropping. 

"Right, now are you ready?" MK, as ready as he could ever be to go into some cursed scroll thing to find his family, just nodded his head, clenching his hands into fists as he took in a steadying breath. 

"Let's do this." Azure held out the scroll in front of him and it dropped open, glowing a feint blue as ink pooled out from it. 

"Good luck," was all MK managed to catch before the ink rose into something that looked like his dad and then it was swarming towards him, his vision swallowed by black and ink and he was consumed by the darkness.

(And that's it! So there will be a sequel obviously, I won't just leave it there lol, but I'm going to put more on that and some other important stuff in an author's note in a separate chapter after this in the morning. Please read it, and thanks so much for being here with me on such a long journey!)   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 5.2K 50
The reader is MK's non-identical twin sister. When Pigsy both sent the two out for noodle deliveries, MK went to deliver his stack of noodles, while...
44.6K 858 24
Simpin' for chimps and more! Potentially slow updates. [Note: I don't take requests as I prefer writing stories I'm actually interested in myself.]
Velleitie By salt

Fanfiction

58.7K 1.9K 44
[LMK x F!Reader] [6k - 22k word chapters] Your dad wanted help at the noodle shop, sure you love him to bits and pieces but you simply don't have the...
2.5K 60 15
When Tao told the Monkie Kids he didn't know his mother...that was technically true. He just doesn't remember.