Cheshire Park

By Angelia-123

in the eighteen century, the young irish nobleman Nicholas Cheshire travels to Jamaica to take possess of his... More

2 (PART I)
2 (PART II)
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13

1

104 7 16
By Angelia-123

WARNING: THE BOOK CONTAINS SOME RACIAL TERMS AND PHRASES, WHICH REFLECT THE WAY OF SPEAKING USED IN THAT HISTORICAL PERIOD.

DO NOT COPY, DISCLOSE OR SHARE ANY PART OF THE STORY.

From Sir Nicholas Cheshire's diary:

<February 9, 1774.

I am leaving for Jamaica to take possession of the properties inherited from my late father, which include a sugar cane plantation and an estate.

I was informed that about a hundred people work in the property, including farmhand and servants, mostly Creole raced*[1].

This is given to the fact that my father, an abolitionist, never meant to own slaves, a belief that I have shared either in my entire life.

The ship crossing will take about a month.

I have entrusted my properties in Dublin to my father's partners, trusted and experienced men.

I still do not know how long I shall stay.

May the Lord guide me>.

On Sir Nicholas Cheshire's arrival at his estate in Jamaica he saw a vast property with the lands extending out the view; the weather of course was warmer than the one he was used to.

He was welcomed by Sir Cheshire's confidant, monsieur André (or Mr. André), who showed him the wide house on three floors, which also included a garden and a kitchen garden.

His father had always spoken well of monsieur André, saying he was a reliable and honest man and he considered him as a family member.

After settling in his father's once chamber, Nicholas stood looking at a picture of his father on the wall. Sir Cheshire had raised him on his own, though he used to sped more time in Jamaica than in Ireland, Nicholas's mother had died when he was too young to remember her.

In that year Nicholas had turned six and twenty years old*[2], he was cultured and definitely handsome in appearance.

While he was putting away the last package, someone knocked on the door, a female voice asked: "Sir Cheshire, do you wish dinner to be served?", he replied: "Of course. Thank you", the voice spoke without a particular accent and he wondered if there were any American or European servant in the house.

When Nicholas went downstairs for dinner, he found a dark-skinned young lady in the dining-room, turned around, when he walked in the maid turned and welcomed him bowing: she was good looking, with curly honey-brown hair and she was dressed in European style, (unusual for Creole women).

"I beg you pardon, who are you?", Nicholas asked confused, "My name is Charlize. I am monsieur André's daughter", she said, Nicholas recognized the same voice he had heard in the bedroom.

"I'll have the dinner served", continued the young lady; she had the refined posture and manners, despite being a farmhand's daughter.

The servants brought the supper, while the maid stood in the corner. After a few minutes, Nicholas, in awe, said to her: "...Why won't you take a plate and join me?", the maiden was surprised by the request, "...This is not the custom of an employee, Sir", she replied, "Pardon me, but you look far too refined for being a servant",

"I am not a servant, Sir. I run the house",

"How long have you been here?",

"My father brought me here when I was about four years old",

"So you grown up here?",

"Exactly, Sir",

"Besides, I believe I can finish my meal alone. You may retire", the maiden bowed and left the room.

Before retiring in his room, Nicholas met Charlize again, this time she was accompanied by another older woman, "Sir Cheshire, may I introduce the other housekeeper, Mrs. Martinez?", Charlize said, "Welcome, Sir", said the lady, "May I ask if we await the arrival of a mistress, Sir?", asked Charlize, "Oh no, I am unmarried", he replied, Charlize nodded and then she said goodnight, taking leave along with Mrs. Martinez.

Going to bed Nicholas recalled when his father, before dying, recommended him to take care of his employees, also predisposing they shall receive a monetary compensation from his inheritance.

As soon as he had deepen knowledge of the estate's situation, Nicholas arranged to dispense the compensations to the servants and laborers. Mr. André, on receiving the silver, was moved thinking back to the late Sir Cheshire, "Forgive me if I dare to say that Thy father was as a kinsman to me", he said to Nicholas, "I had an high opinion of him",

"The estimation was mutual. My father always mentioned your name reverently",

"I have spent most of my life in Cheshire Park",

"I think I have not made the acquaintance of your wife...",

"Oh no, my wife died giving birth to our daughter",

"I am desolated to hear that", then he continued: "Are there many Irish people in the neighborhood?",

"Yes, Sir, there are many. We also have an Irish priest", Mr. André said.

That afternoon Nicholas went to the library and he met Charlize, "Excuse me, Sir", she said, "You can stay. I have come to get some papers", Nicholas said, he noticed Charlize was holding a book, "Do you like English literature?", he asked, "I do, Sir", she replied, Nicholas, opening the desk, told her: "Could you ask the servants if it is available more water and a razor? I need to shave",

"It is, Sir. If you allow me, I will help Your Lordship",

"It is not necessary, I can do it myself",

"I insist, Sir. I use to help my father", Nicholas just said: "That is fine", before leaving the room.

Ten minutes later Charlize came in his chamber bringing all the necessary.

Nicholas sat on a chair, Charlize prepared the foam, "How does Your Grace finds Jamaica?", she asked, "Charming. Despite the warm and dry weather", Nicholas replied, she began to lather him with the brush, "I am not sure I could live with a colder weather as the Europe's one. But I would love to see Ireland", commented Charlize, she began to pass the razor on him, "Has Your Ladyship been informed about the Mass in the Chapel tomorrow?", she questioned,

"A Mass?",

"Exactly. Tomorrow at 17 pm",

"Thank you for telling me. Will you attend?",

"Certainly, Sir",

"Are you a Christian?",

"Baptized in the Church of Ireland at the age of fourteen", Charlize finished passing the razor and she dried him, "Thank you", said Nicholas dismissing her.

Nicholas was surprised all the more by Charlize, if it wasn't for her skin color, she might have passed for an European gentlewoman.

The Irish priest used to go to Cheshire Park every Saturday to celebrate the Mass in the Chapel and to hear the Confessions.

The estate was profitable, but clearly managing it was not easy, given the number of workers and Nicholas's lack of experience. The late Sir Cheshire had been caring that the laborers had decent living conditions, especially concerning housing and their children were supposed to have a base of education.

On the Mass evening, after the ceremony, Nicholas went to dine and, sitting at the table, he addressed Charlize: "I do not want to dine on my own tonight. Take a plate and eat with me", surprised Charlize did not contradict him and she complied with his request.

As they were eating an houseboy came in in hurry, "Pardon me, Your Lordship. I need the assistance of mademoiselle Charlize for an emergency", the young man seemed worried, "Of course", Nicholas replied, "What happened?", asked Charlize standing, "Some horses run off the stable, me and the others are after them", replied the houseboy, "And why are you asking mademoiselle Charlize for help?", asked Nicholas, "Because one of the horses is quite restless and he obeys to her only, Sir", he replied, "Please, excuse me, Sir", Charlize said to him and left the room in rush.

Nicholas decided to join them.

The servants had brought back most of the escaped horses. Charlize and the houseboy went to a field with the calash.

When Nicholas arrived Charlize was calming the horse, the animal was agitated, but she calmly caressed him and speaking to him with low and gentle voice, she managed to calm him down.

Charlize decided to bring him back herself, riding him bareback.

Nicholas had been watching the scene, which was an enchanting seeing.

The following morning Nicholas, in waking recalled he had been thinking of Charlize often the previous evening... he asked about her, but the maid told him she wasn't in the house that morning, for she was preparing gifts to give to the farmhands's children for Easter, "Do you wish me to send for her, Sir?", the maid asked, "No, it is not matter", he replied, "Where is she preparing the presents?", he asked, "Next the laundry room, Sir", replied the maid.

After breakfast, Nicholas went out as he did every morning, but first he wanted to go towards the laundry room.

Charlize was painting some small stones. She saw him entering and she stood up, "Good morning, Sir", she greeted him, "Good morning. Please, carry on", Nicholas said, "I was just curious to see the gifts for the children", Charlize picked a stone, holed on top with a wire attached, "They are painted stones", she said, the stones were painted colored, "They may be used hung around the neck", she added, "They are lovely. It is kindness of you", Nicholas commented.

Charlize told him: "On Easter evening we shall have a dinner all together, in the borough. Would Your Lordship like to join us?", Nicholas replied: "I shall think about it. Thank you for proposing", he took his leave of her.

When Charlize had finished she went back in the house and she met Mrs. Martinez, "Are you going to eat with the master today as well?", the lady asked sarcastically,

"You know it is not my custom, but yesterday he has insisted",

"You are clever enough to figure what happens when a gentleman fancies a servant",

"The master does not 'fancy' me!", Charlize replied, stunned by the words,

"You have the manners of an aristocratic lady, Charlize, but you are not a gentlewoman. And gentlemen does not marry an humble origin woman and least of all a colored one. At best they could make a 'kept woman' of her",

"I am not that kind of woman, you know that very well", Charlize said, outraged by her statement, then she took her leave.

Charlize had never thought of Sir Nicholas under that 'light'. She recalled the first time she had seen European men as a child, after knowing only Creoles and Jamaicans: Caucasian men did not even look human to her, particularly she was impressed to see some of them with blue sky eyes.

And by far Sir Nicholas was the handsomest one she had ever seen.

However Charlize was not naive and she was aware what Mrs. Martinez had told about noblemen was true.

And Nicholas knew it either, he seriously began to think about the impossibility of offering to Charlize the life she deserved. So he decided to act before he began to care about her so much that he could not let her go without grieving.

*[1] The Creole ethnicity indicates an ethnic group born in the American Continent by the union between Europeans and Native Americans or imported Africans.

*[2] Accordingly the figure of speech of the VIII century, six and twenty means twenty-six years old.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 11.9K 74
"Wherever your soul was before, mine was there too." - Hira He's Jackson. But he's also: Daniel. Theodore. Nathan. Nicholas. Zachary. She's Aaliyah...
An Innocent Affair By Laura

Historical Fiction

264K 23.6K 43
For Jem Denham, life became serious the moment he laid eyes on Miss Cressie Martin. As the youngest of five children, he was used to being considered...
508K 22.3K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
328K 27K 42
Forced to trade identities with a dead woman, Chara becomes entangled in a web of deception that would no doubt cost her her very life in the end. * ...