The Baseball Team's Tutor

By XoceanEyesXO

Kaoru Bokuto, the younger sister of Kotaro Bokuto, the ace of the Fukurodani High Schools Men's Volleyball cl... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Prologue (Ch.1)

312 6 0
By XoceanEyesXO

Authors Note: Hi Everyone! Ocean here, I just wanted to say that this story is very near and dear to my heart. I LOVE Daiya No Ace and have wanted to write a story about this world for a long time. I finally have the courage to do so, and it just so happens to be incredibly therapeutic for me. As someone who was set to play softball at a college and lost a scholarship because of a shoulder injury, I wanted to pull from that pain. HOWEVER: this is not an author insert and that is the only thing I have in common with my MC Kaoru. I hope you all enjoy this story! I have no idea where the plot will go so please feel free to engage, critique and offer up ideas! 

"Now up to bat, first-year starter, #23, Bokuto Kaoru!" The announcer's introduction echoed through the speakers as Kaoru approached the plate.

Stretching the bat over her head, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Visualizing the success of this up bat - a line drive to the right field gap.

It was the bottom of the last inning, Seidou High was down by 1 run with a runner on second base and 2 outs. If she could just land a hit into the outfield, they would tie it up and keep the game going.

Everything was riding on this moment. Standing in the batter's box, Kaoru stared the pitcher down - the sound of the stadium fading away as she focused on the ball as the opponent began her windup.

The Seidou baseball team sat in the stands watching their school's softball team compete. The winner of this game would go on to Koshien, continuing the softball team's long-standing tradition.

"How many years in a row has the softball team made it to Koshien?" asked the baseball team's shortstop, Kuramochi Yoichi.

"9 years, if they clinch it today that will make 10 in a row," replied the first baseman Yuki Tetsuya, a serious look on his face as he watched the game below.

The ding of the bat caused the team to refocus on the batter below. Another foul ball put the count at 3 balls and 2 strikes. The first year Kaoru was looking confident in the box, no hints of nervousness in her body language.

"Bokuto-chan is putting up a good fight," said second year and second baseman Kominato Ryōsuke, a smirk on his face. The group nodded as yet another foul ball hit the net behind home plate.

Just as the ball left the pitcher's hand, Kaoru zeroed in on the spin as her bat was guided perfectly to the ball. The ping of the contact was music to her ears as she watched it fly right into the outfield gap she had envisioned.

Taking off into a sprint, she rounded first and second, diving head first into third base safely. Standing up on the base, she faced her team's dugout as the stadium erupted into cheers.

Yelling in joy, she mimicked a bow and arrow motion to her teammates, a tradition if you score a run on the Seidou softball team.

Being a first year was hard enough, but being a starter at one of the most elite high schools in the country of Japan? Near impossible.

Her heart thudded in her chest with adrenaline as she readied herself on the base, the coach had signaled for a sacrifice bunt. If executed correctly, as soon as the ball touches the ground she will be sliding into home before it is even fielded.

This was their chance, if she scored, her team pulled out the win. They would make it to the Koshien tournament for a 10th year in a row.

The baseball team was more focused on the game than ever before, that hit had one hopped the fence, they nearly thought it was a homerun. If they scored here, the team would be even more motivated for their game the next day.

"WAY TO GO BOKUTO-CHAN!" shouted outfielder Isashki Jun, his loud mouth could not be contained after a hit like that.

Kaoru nearly laughed, she could hear her senpai's yell even through the crowd of spectators. Her eyes lit up as she saw the pitcher release the pitch, her teammate squared to the ball, placing a bunt on the third base side.

The bunt was too hard, causing it to roll farther down the line than ideal. This play was going to be close at the plate.

Racing to home plate, Kaoru saw the ball being tossed to the catcher. Her eyes widened, changing her momentum last minute, she slid, twisting her body to reach the plate around the catcher. (an example of the slide can be found in the external link)

The throw home was wild in the haste of it all, causing the catcher to step back awkwardly, her cleat landing right on Kaoru's shoulder. The momentum, the stretch of her arm and then the weight of the catcher caused a snapping sound in her arm.

The catcher fell backwards, the ball long forgotten. Kaoru felt the pressure release around her arm.

Once the dust cleared, the umpire declared her safe and her team the winners. The stadium erupted into cheers, her dugout cleared onto the field to rush her and her teammate who laid the bunt down.

Kaoru laid still on the ground, the air was gone from her lungs. She couldn't feel her fingers. Her arm ached, but wouldn't move. Rolling from her stomach onto her back, Kaoru's breath hitched.

Before letting out an anguished cry. Her breath had returned in gasps as she realized her arm was broken at the shoulder joint.

The stadium silenced, her team paused their celebration as she laid there unmoving, biting her other hand to keep from screaming in pain.

The athletic trainer and coach rushed to check on her. The air was tense as the fans waited to hear the news of the first year.

No announcement was made as the coaches called for a medical cart. Helping the young player up off the ground, careful not to move her arm too much.

"Well... that's not good," said the first year catcher Miyuki Kazuya as the rest of the Seidou baseball team nodded in agreement. "I hope Kaoru-chan is okay," said first year pitcher Kawakami Norifumi.

The Seidou baseball team stood and made their way out of the stadium, the thrill of the girls' win had dissipated after the first year star's injury.

"Since the girls won today, we have to represent and win tomorrow!" yelled Jun, the others chuckled around him, "we should do our best for Bokuto-chan - hopefully she isn't too badly injured," said second year pitcher Tanba Koichiro.

In the emergency room at the hospital, Kaoru was quietly listening to the doctor as he explained the next steps for her arm.

First, he wanted to do a CT Scan to see if there was any damage to the nerves or ligaments around the joint.

Second, he wanted to do an immediate surgery because of the place of the break, it would need to be set from the inside.

Kaoru's coach was nodding along with the doctor in understanding, she was thankful for her presence as her parents lived in Kyoto and her brother, who attended a nearby high school, didn't answer his phone.

The doctor left to prepare for the CT Scan and eventual surgery, and Kaoru's coach shifted her chair to face Kaoru. "Don't look so gloomy, it's only your first year and your skills brought the team to Koshien for the 10th year in a row!" she said in a chipper voice.

Kaoru tried to smile back at her coach, but winced instead, her arm was really hurting. "I wish my season hadn't ended like this though," she said while looking down.

Coach Yukiko looked down, "this just means you come back stronger!" she said, her eyes filled with determination to not let her player see her own anxieties.

Kaoru couldn't hold back her smile at that, "you're so right! Who knows, maybe I will switch to being left-handed after all of the rehab!" Coach Yukiko's laugh was cut short when a nurse opened the door.

It was time for the scan and then surgery, breathing deeply, Kaoru mentally asked for strength before making her way into the room, 'please, if someone can hear me, I really can't lose softball,' she prayed silently.

When she woke up in the recovery room, it was the next day and she was surprised to see her brother and Akaashi-kun with him. "KAO-CHAN!" her brother cried loudly.

"Please be quiet Bakuto-san, Kaoru-san just woke up," hushed a calm Akaashi. He gave Bokuto a reassuring pat on the shoulder before exiting the room, leaving the siblings to talk.

"Nii-san, please don't worry! Before surgery the doctor said I should be fine after rehab!" Kaoru tried her best to sound chipper to her brother, he was known for his dramatics and she couldn't have him blubbering.

Thankfully, the doctor walked in to interrupt any dramatics from her brother. Kaoru's smile fell as she saw his grim face. Kotaro reached for her hand and held it tightly.

Her brain couldn't process everything he was telling her, she felt Kotaro's grip on her hand squeeze tighter, as the doctor continued.

She heard the key words, "nerve damage," and "career-ending injury," and knew it was over. That day, a part of her broke. Her brother and Akaashi-kun escorted her back to her dorms at Seidou.

"Nii-san, school isn't over, you can't just stay here!" she yelled at him as she used her good arm to push him out of the doorway. "But who will help you with your classes? And around the school? And what if you fall on your arm!" he rambled.

Kaoru couldn't help but laugh, "Nii-san, I have friends and roommates, and the sling comes off in 3 weeks. I'll be starting physical therapy after that and will have plenty of support!"

He finally budged at that, his nerves relenting a little. "Besides, you guys have to make it to the national tournament. I want to brag to all of my friends about my big brother," she added.

That did it. Akaashi-kun gave her a thankful nod as he was finally able to pull Kotaro away from the door as he was basking in whatever fantasy played out in his head.

Stifling a laugh, she waved goodbye before heading into her dorm. Her roommates were gone at practice, it was only 5:00pm so they would be gone for a while.

Sighing, Kaoru looked around the empty space, this would be her new normal. Being alone. Isolated from her friends and torn away from her sport.

She wanted to put her long hair up in a ponytail, but of course she couldn't do it with one arm. Struggling with it for a little bit, she eventually through the hair tie down onto the ground with a huff.

Sitting on her bed, Kaoru allowed her body to feel all the emotions. Her breathing became unsteady and gasping. She shook as she looked down at her left arm hanging in the sling.

She cried, screamed and agonized over the loss of her sport and the pain of her injured arm. A piece of herself was gone.

How can she repair something that was gone? She couldn't just build something new... Could she?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161 0 16
You are Y/n Sawamura, the younger sister of Daichi Sawamura, aka the Boys Volleyball team Captain. You and him always did things together like volley...
361K 9.6K 61
What happens if Eijun Sawamura had a twin sister? Meet fifteen year old Hikaru Sawamura, ace batter and right fielder for Akagi Junior High School. T...
421K 9.7K 21
βœ§Λ–*°࿐ you were brought to a volleyball ceremony to congratulate your brother, wakatoshi ushijima. following wakatoshi were the two other aces, who se...
134K 3.3K 11
BOKUTO x READER You're now in your first year in Nekoma high. Luckily you got accepted in women's team volleyball and your position is a libero. You'...