The Trump Card - Kuroko no Ba...

By whato_owhere

Season 3! Seirin is almost there! Let's go! Kuroko no Basket and its characters belong to Tadatoshi Fujimaki... More

EP 1
EP 2
EP 3
EP 4
EP 5
EP 6
EP 7
EP 8
EP 9
EP 10
EP 11
EP 12
EP 13
EP 14
EP 15
EP 16
EP 17
EP 18
EP 19
EP 20
EP 21
EP 22
EP 24
EP 25

EP 23

1.7K 54 0
By whato_owhere

Warning: bad language

It's finally happening. Let's dive into Akashi's real feelings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Seirin had to proceed with caution. Akashi was in such a powerful mode, he was the one in charge of defense and offense.

    All by himself.

    He wasn't counting with the help of anyone else in his team nor did he want it.

    Hyuuga had the ball and he gulped when he saw Akashi standing at defense. Before he could even move, Akashi was already in front of him and stole the ball.

    Kagami quickly put himself on Akashi's way, set on not letting him get past him. The red haired ace from Seirin was putting pressure on himself to keep focused. His power had to grow if he wanted to beat Akashi.

    Akashi swiftly crossed the ball between his legs and made an Ankle-break that had Kagami lose his balance.

    Kagami started to fall forward, but he quickly moved his body and managed to still lean towards Akashi to slap the ball from his hand.

    But Akashi was too fast and knowledgeable. He immediately stopped mid-step, crossed the ball again and made Kagami fall again.

    Kagami was on his knees on the ground as Akashi shot the ball.

    "The way you struggle is laughable." Akashi said monotonously. "Stay there on the ground." He added as the ball entered the basket.

    The crowd cheered loudly for Akashi, amazed with all he was doing.

    Everyone was looking at him with wide eyes, even Rakuzan's coach and members. How was this power even possible?

    The Uncrowned Kings were looking at him, too. It was sort of painful how he didn't want anything to do with them.

    As Akashi walked past them, Reo called for him.

    "Sei-chan . . ." he said weakly, but Akashi kept his cold gaze forward.

    "Watch out for threes while we're on defense. Even you can handle that." He said coldly and the boys frowned.

    "What?" Reo asked incredulously.

    "Akashi!" Kotaro exclaimed in protest, but their captain wasn't having it.

    "I expect nothing from you. If you can't do it, then I will." He told them and walked away, leaving his teammates quietly looking at him.

    As the game continued, Akashi took the ball from Kagami once again. He was simply too fast.

    The ball went out of bounds and the game temporarily stopped.

    Kagami was gasping for air. He was frustrated with himself. He wasn't being able to keep up with Akashi. He was so angry. He wanted to fight harder, he wanted to help his team, but he was failing. He needed more strength, but he wasn't able to get it.

    He realized he was already completely immersed in the Zone, but a second door had appeared in front of him. Not only that, but there was a gatekeeper in front of it, and he wasn't letting him in. No matter how much Kagami tried, that door just didn't open, he had no way of getting stronger.

    (Y/N) had been watching him and shook her head. Kagami was mentally struggling and it was their fault. They were doing it wrong. What had they been thinking? Why did she even agree to this at the time?

    Seen that the game was stopped, she took the opportunity to talk to Kuroko.

    "Tetsuya." She called and the boy quickly got closer to her. "We're doing this all wrong. Why are we letting Kagami try to do it by himself?" she asked her friend, referring to how they were making Kagami fight Akashi on his own.

    It was stupid of them to make Kagami face him alone. He wasn't even supposed to defeat him alone, so why did they put that weight on his shoulders? They had to fight together. They always had done that, why would they do it differently now?

    Kuroko thought about it for a short second and quickly realize how right she was. What they were doing didn't make any sense.

    "You're right. And it's obviously not working. We should stop him before he gets even more worked up." Kuroko agreed and (Y/N) nodded.

    (Y/N) stood close to Kuroko as she called for her red haired friend.

    "Kagami." She called and the boy looked at his friends, who smiled at him. "Just stop, ok?" she asked and Kagami looked confused.

    What did she mean?

    "It's better to just stop it, Kagami-kun." Kuroko said next. "Why don't you just give up?" he asked and Kagami was shocked.

    What were they saying?

    At his confusion, the two friends smiled at each other before looking back at Kagami.

    "Not give up the game, Kagami." (Y/N) explained.

    "We're telling you to give up fighting alone. It doesn't get us anywhere and it only serves to put more strain on you." Kuroko said next.

    "We're sorry that we put such pressure on you, when it doesn't even make sense to do it. It's a responsibility we all carry, so let us help you do it." (Y/N) said next and Kagami stood there gawking at them for a few seconds.

    Then he started to think.

    First he thought that he would definitely be able to do it. That he would find a way to open the second door of the Zone. But as he looked at his friends, he realized he was making a mistake by wanting that. There was no point in complaining that the second door wouldn't open. All that mattered was his team and friends. To him, playing together with them, playing together with his shadow and with (Y/N)'s support from the side lines was the most important thing to him.

    Kagami smiled.

    "Ok, I accept your help." Kagami said happily and his friends smiled at him, too.

    "Good luck, boys. I'm sure you'll do great. You just have to do what you always have done and trust each other." (Y/N) told them with an encouraging smile.

    The two boys nodded at her with confidence. Kagami patted her head and they were both turning around to go back to the game, but the girl called for them again.

    "Guys." She called and the boys stopped and looked at her. "Actually, the team needs you both." She said and the boys blinked curiously. "You two are amazing together and I don't know of anyone who plays more in synch than you two." She told them and the boys looked at each other. (Y/N) turned her eyes to her blue haired friend. "Tetsuya, out of all of us, you're the one who knows Kagami the best. You're the one who has played together with him and observed him all this time. You are best friends. I know for sure that there's no one better to stand by Kagami's side but you." She said with a caring smile and their eyes widened as she looked at them both now. "I know that you'll know what to do." She told them and the boys stayed there looking at her in surprise.

    Then they smiled as well.

    "Thank you." Kuroko said, genuinely happy, and Kagami nodded in agreement.

    After that, the boys went back to the game and got into position.

    Kagami took a deep breath and Kuroko did the same.

    Their eyes were stuck on Akashi.

    Both boys were quiet, but they were both thinking the same thing at that moment.

    (Y/N) had done it again. She always saw what was best for them and gave it to them. Right now, what they both needed was each other. They had to join forces so they could help the team. She always told them what they needed to hear to stay confident.

    And right now, no matter how much she smiled at them, no matter how she tried to keep strong, they could see the lingering sadness in her eyes. And the cause of that sadness was Akashi.

    (Y/N) had always cared for her team. (Y/N) had always protected her team.

    But who would protect her?

    Kuroko and Kagami narrowed their eyes.

    They would defeat Akashi. Not only so the team could win, but so that their mutual best friend could be happy.

    If there was any chance of Akashi going back to who he was, it was by defeating him. So, they had to win, no matter what.

    They wouldn't do it for Akashi's sake.

    Kagami, especially, didn't give a rat's ass about Akashi.

    They would do it for her.

    For (Y/N)'s sake and for the team's, Kuroko and Kagami would defeat Akashi.

    The silence between them was broken by Kuroko.

    "Kagami-kun." He called his friend, who looked at him. "The difference between you and Akashi-kun is the Emperor Eye. So, I'll make up that difference by becoming your 'eye'." The blue haired boy said determinately and Kagami smirked.

    "Don't know what that means, but I'm all in for it." Kagami said joyfully and Kuroko smiled at his eagerness and the trust he had on him.

    The game restarted and Seirin had the ball. 

    Izuki passed the ball to Kuroko, who swiftly sent it towards Kiyoshi.

    Kiyoshi caught it and was about to dunk it, but someone tapped the ball from his hand with lightning speed before he could do so.

    It was Akashi.

    The ball hit the table of the hoop and bounced back.

    Akashi caught it immediately and ran towards Seirin's basket. Up front, Kagami and Kuroko were waiting for him.

    Kuroko was standing behind Kagami and that caught Akashi's attention. Normally, the pair used the technique of letting Kuroko go first and then Kagami would step up next. But now they had inverted their roles. What was their plan?

    But that didn't deter Akashi, he wasn't worried with any plan they could have come up with. With his Emperor Eye he would be able to see what would happen, they could not stop him.

    With great speed, he feinted that he would go by Kagami's right side, but then changed it and escaped by his left side.

    Akashi thought he would have the way clear to the basket, because there was no way Kuroko would have been able to follow his moves just like Kagami hadn't been.

    But that was when Akashi was proven wrong.

    When he passed by Kagami's left side, Kuroko was right there in front of him.

    And the blue haired boy slapped the ball from Akashi's hand.

    Everyone was shocked with the turn of events. (Y/N) had her hands in front of her open mouth as she watched what her friend accomplished. The others at the bench were all astounded, as well.

    How did Kuroko even do that? How did he keep up with Akashi's speed?

    Just like Akashi's Emperor Eye gives him the ability to predict the moves his opponent is going to make, Kuroko's immense trust and knowledge on Kagami and his drive and behavior, gave him the ability to predict his moves. So all he had to do was watch Kagami instead of Akashi. By watching Kagami, he would know what he would do.

    So, when he saw that Kagami would move to the right, Kuroko moved to the left, because that was definitely where Akashi would appear.

    And the blue haired boy was correct.

    The observation skills he sharpened in order to use misdirection, and the time Kuroko and Kagami had spent playing together, allowed him to pull it off.

    Kuroko can't use this with opponents. He can only use it with allies, with whom he spent time developing a solid bond. That bond allowed him to 'see into the future' like Akashi.

    Predicting the future of his allies. That was Kuroko's own Emperor Eye.

    Kagami and Kuroko quickly started to run with the ball towards Rakuzan's basket.

    And Akashi had stayed paralyzed at the spot where Kuroko took the ball from him.

    Seirin did a turnover? And he let it happen? He could not believe it. Kuroko had just bested his Emperor Eye. He could not accept it.

    Akashi grit his teeth in anger.

    As Seirin was almost reaching the other side of the court, the rest of Rakuzan had gotten ready to stop them.

    Kagami went past Kotaro easily and was almost at the defense area.

    That was the moment Akashi got out of his shock and furiously ran after them.

    He ran so fast, he succeeded in putting himself in front of Kagami again.

    His eyes were furious. He refused to let them score against him. They could not defeat the Emperor Eye!

    Akashi used his power and was almost able to take the ball from Kagami's hand. But Kuroko appeared beside Kagami and the red haired gave him the ball.

    Akashi's eyes widened again.

    He had not seen that coming. Again.

    Kuroko threw the ball towards the hoop and, as Akashi was looking at the blue haired boy, Kagami escaped from him and ran towards the basket. They were going to score by using an alley-oop.

    Akashi grit his teeth in anger again.

    He was absolute! He could not lose! He must not lose!

    Akashi jumped after Kagami to block his dunk.

    All his friends were standing up watching him eagerly.

    "Make the shot, Kagami!" All of them cheered loudly.

    Kagami was confident. He was carrying the team's hope on his shoulders. He would definitely make the shot.

    And he did.

    Kagami dunked so hard, Akashi fell on the ground.

    His heterochromatic eyes were wide with shock and disbelief.

    He lost? He had just lost? His Emperor Eye had been defeated?

    Seirin was cheering loudly. The crowd joining them. Riko was even hugging (Y/N) with happiness. It was as if they had won the game when it wasn't the case. They were all so happy they had bested Akashi, they couldn't help it.

    The scores were now 80-92.

    (Y/N) smiled and looked at her friends happily. She was extremely proud of them.

    Everyone was proud of their ace and shadow. Kagami had such trust on Kuroko, he didn't even have to think about him as he moved. He simply knew Kuroko would be there to receive the ball from him, he didn't even had to look. And Kuroko followed him and supported him beautifully. They could never had done that if they hadn't complete trust on each other.

    So, yes, (Y/N) was absolutely proud of them.

    Then, her attention was grabbed by the fallen red haired. Akashi was still on the ground, flabbergast and not moving.

    (Y/N) immediately worried about him.

    "Sei." She mumbled as she kept looking at him.

    Eventually, Akashi quietly got up and the game restarted.

    But Rakuzan's captain looked weird. He had his eyes down and wasn't moving much.

    Then, it happened.

    Akashi shot the ball and missed. His eyes were wide again at this new failure. Even his teammates looked at him like he was crazy.

    What was happening?

    Then, Akashi missed a pass to Reo.

    Hyuuga caught it and Seirin scored again, closing the score gap to 10 points, 82-92.

    Then, Akashi lost the ball to Izuki.

    Then he was stopped from scoring by Kiyoshi.

    His teammates were getting angry. He was passing so badly, he even put them off and they failed their shots. He was so slow getting back on defense, Seirin even scored because of that. Kotaro sent Akashi an especially hard glare after this one.

    While Akashi was playing terribly, Seirin was playing stunningly. All together as a team, they were scoring relentlessly.

    When there was only five minutes for the end of the match, Seirin had caught up to Rakuzan, the scores being 90-92.

    Seirin cheered again in happiness.

    Seen that the team was in danger and that the captain was being no good and something was definitely wrong with him, Rakuzan's coach called for a time-out.

    Before they moved to go back to the bench, Nebuya grabbed Akashi by his collar angrily, catching (Y/N)'s and the others' attention.

    "Are you kidding me?! This is ridiculous! A kid could have caught that weak pass! I've had enough of your crap, Akashi!" Nebuya said angrily, but Akashi kept his dead eyes on him, not even responding to him.

    "Hey, stop that!" (Y/N) told Nebuya loudly as she took a step forward.

    Nebuya took a glance at her and heatedly huffed and let go of the captain.

    Akashi kept quiet and didn't even look at her as he walked past her.

    She called his name, but it was as if he didn't even heard her.

    As they walked towards the bench, (Y/N) kept her worried eyes fixed on Akashi. He was out of the Zone and kept his eyes low as if lost in his own head.

    This was the first time he had been beaten so badly since the start of high-school. First he tried to score and failed. Then he tried to stop them from scoring and failed, too. Not only had they defeated his Emperor Eye, but also his trump card that was the Zone. For him, that was a massive disappointment. Now, he had completely lost his composure. He was running slower, making terrible passes and losing the ball. He was unsettled and thus distracted.

    (Y/N) gulped. He looked like he was having a silent breakdown. He reminded her of the day he almost lost to Murasakibara. But that day, he only almost lost. In the end, he won against Murasakibara after unlocking his Emperor Eye. But today he experienced a true loss. He was truly defeated for the first time. How could someone like him handle this?

    The girl kept watching him as he sat down on his bench and she noticed how all his teammates and even coach were looking at him weirdly.

    Some of them even looked disappointed and angry.

    And the truth was that they were. Especially the Uncrowned Kings, Mayuzumi and the coach. This was Akashi Seijuro? An arrogant prick who disgraces himself as soon as he fails once? Such attitude and threats to then behave like a lost kid who never handled a basketball?

    Was Akashi really this fragile?

    All of Seirin was looking at them, too. It was impossible to not notice the change in Akashi. Even the Miracles at the audience couldn't fathom what was happening.

    Kuroko stepped next to (Y/N) as he saw how she wouldn't take her eyes from the red haired. Her eyes showing her concern.

    "He's not ok, Tetsuya." She said quietly to him and then looked at her friend. "Something is happening to him." She added and Kuroko kept quiet, but he agreed with her.

   And it was true.

    Something was going on with Akashi.

    It was going on inside his head.

    Akashi Seijuro was talking to himself. Or rather, his different personalities were clashing.

    Akashi was temporarily brought back to reality when Mayuzumi started to speak to him. The silver haired boy had gotten up from his seat and turned to Akashi.

    "You're embarrassing yourself." He started by saying, making the others look at him with wide eyes. Had he really just spoken like that to Akashi? "Did you think we'd console or encourage you? Never. After all you have said, this is all you can do? I don't think so. You're nothing like the man I met at school. Actually, who are you?" Mayuzumi said.

    Akashi's eyes widened after that last question.

    When he heard it, he instantly heard (Y/N)'s voice asking him the same thing the day he changed.

    Who was he?

    Akashi was once again inside his own head, his two personalities having a calmer conversation.

    "Who am I?" the second Akashi asked himself.

    He remembered when he was little and his father was already putting pressure on him to be perfect.

    "Who am I?" he asked again.

    He remembered when his mother introduced him to basketball and how happy he was.

    "Who am I?" he repeated.

    He remembered when he played basketball at school, how good he was and how his mother cheered for him.

    "I am-" he was going to answer himself.

    "You are my weakness." The original Akashi answered him first.

    At his words, the second Akashi remembered the day his mother died.

    The original Akashi kept talking.

    "Born to a distinguished family, always standing above others and obligated to win. Even with mother's death, my only solace, I wasn't allowed to stop. I was already starting to tear apart back then. Basketball, the anchor my mother left me, as long as I kept winning my stern father allowed me to play. Teiko's basketball practices were hard, but not painful. I enjoyed the ability to play all I liked and spend time with friends." He explained, referring to the Miracles. "But more important than that, I had her. My new solace." He added and the second Akashi knew he was referring to (Y/N). "Then we won our second National Championship. It would have been impossible with anyone else. It happened because I had them - my lover and friends. But, the team began emphasizing victory. At the same time, my friends' talents began to blossom. Their growth planted in me the fear that I wouldn't be able to keep up. And what kind of partner would I be if I failed? Believing I wouldn't be worthy of her, believing they would leave me behind, fear turned to panic. I had to be the strongest in order to keep her by my side and continue playing with my friends." He explained and the second Akashi retorted fast with a harsh tone.

    "That's right. That's why I was born." he said sternly. "I kept (Y/N), and the others followed me once again. I was absolute. Things were the same once they became my opponents, I would keep proving my strength and defeat them all." The second Akashi said strongly.

    "So, you don't need me?" the original Akashi asked.

    "That's right! You stay here forever." The second Akashi replied, telling his other self to stay in the shadows of his mind.

    "I did mean to stay here. But the scent of defeat is making you crack. And more importantly than that. . . " The original Akashi said and the second Akashi grew curious to what he would say. "You are hurting her." He added with an angry tone.

    "What?" the second Akashi asked in surprise.

    "You are hurting (Y/N)!" the original Akashi repeated sternly. "Don't pretend to not having noticed. The suffering in her eyes is there for anyone to see, and you are the cause of it. When did her pain stop bothering you? When did her tears become unimportant to you?!" He lectured.

    "You know nothing! She'll stay no matter what! I wasn't unbothered by it, I'm doing what I have to do! You allowed yourself to be weak, that's why I'm here!" the second Akashi argued angrily.

    "Yes, she'll stay. I only realized that after she accepted the change even though she didn't like it. My weakness gave birth to you. And then I allowed you to take over because I was trying to save what I had by winning. I had something irreplaceable. I didn't know what else to do to make sure I wouldn't lose it. Desiring only victory and abandoning all else. I lost sight of why I wanted to be stronger in the first place. (Y/N) stayed by your side, but she has always been in pain. She accepted it, but deep down, she was always screaming out to me. And I let her do that pointlessly because I thought being the strongest was what was best. But not anymore." The original Akashi explained.

    "What do you mean?" the second Akashi asked.

    "It's time for me to go back." The original Akashi said resolutely. "It's time for me to atone for my mistakes and go back to (Y/N). You overstayed your welcome when you made her cry today. It's time for me to take care of her." he added strongly.

    Akashi's mind, which had once been surrounded by darkness, was starting to light up.

    "It's time for me to lead my team to victory. But this time, as myself." he said in finality.

    With that, his first and real personality grew bigger and stepped forward, leaving the second one behind.

    Akashi Seijuro was finally back to who he was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 89 1
After the events at the Winter Cup, everyone is ready to make Kuroko's special day the best day ever! Kuroko no Basket and its characters belong to T...
70.7K 1.1K 21
This story is based on the knb anime. But I changed the character gender. Kuroko is a girl in this story. Hope you like it. A girl ente...
4.3K 317 22
Story about Riko's life with Seirin's basketball team before the shadow and light arrived. All characters belong to Fujimaki Tadatoshi, I don't own a...
91.6K 2K 27
Kuroko and (Y/N) went together to attend Seirin High School with one purpose: defeat the Generation of Miracles. Apparently, Kuroko is not a normal p...