Battle Wounds

By scottspierce

Harper Cain never had a family to call her own. Having been in and out of foster homes her entire life, she n... More

intro
one.
two.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty one.
twenty two.

three.

105 6 36
By scottspierce

Harper rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as a yawn escaped her lips. She made her way down the stairs, the now familiar route to the kitchen memorized in her mind. The scent of coffee and breakfast wafted throughout the house, wrapping itself around her. She smiled at the comfort that such a simple thing could bring her. It was the little things that made all of the difference when her whole life had been nothing short of a shitshow. And this home was full of those little gestures that brought her a feeling of comfort and safety. Something that was a rarity for her.

Harper could feel herself getting used to this family more each day and mentally kicked herself for breaking her number one rule: not to get attached. It was only a temporary placement, and although it could last months, it would eventually end. Tomorrow, next week, or in the next couple of months. But it would end. She had to remind herself of that. That this wasn't permanent and the Hudsons weren't her family. It was a depressing thought that she didn't want to think about. But it was the unfortunate reality of a foster kid.

By the time she entered the kitchen, breakfast was in full swing. A smile tugged at her lips at the sight of Lucas helping Olivia and the banter that went back and forth between them.

"Good morning," Harper said as she walked up to the counter filled with food and drinks. Grabbing herself a mug, she poured herself a cup of coffee before adding the necessary milk and sugar.

"Morning, Harper," Lucas said with a smile.

"Did you sleep okay?" Olivia asked, wiping her hands on a towel.

Harper nodded and took a sip of coffee. The food was laid out on the counter, and the choices made her stomach rumble. Opting for a bagel with cream cheese, Harper sat at the table and began eating.

Just a few minutes later, Cole entered the kitchen. A sour look appeared on his face at the sight of Harper. With a deep sigh, he mumbled a good morning to his parents. He poured milk and cereal into a bowl and leaned against the counter, shoveling the food into his mouth.

"We have a table, you know," Lucas said.

"Yeah, I know," Cole answered through a mouthful.

"So use it," Lucas said, gesturing towards the table.

Begrudgingly, Cole took his bowl to the table and set it down loudly. A bit of milk spilled out over the side but went unnoticed by the preteen.

"Hey, Cole," Harper said.

Cole barely glanced in her direction. "Hi."

"What's gotten into you over the last couple of days?" Olivia questioned as she sat down beside them, followed by Lucas.

Cole shrugged. "Nothing. Why?"

"You've been acting weird ever since Valley Fest," Lucas commented.

"Are your friends still bothering you?" Olivia asked.

"No," Cole told them though he sounded frustrated. "I'm fine, okay?"

"Alright. Just checking," Olivia said as she glanced at Lucas, eyebrows raised. "Because if you want to talk about something, we're here."

Cole mumbled something that sounded like an okay as he chewed.

"So, got any plans for today?" Harper asked Cole between bites of her bagel. "Because I thought maybe we could hang out. You know, get out of the house or something."

"Uhm, no. I'm busy," Cole said, then glanced down at his phone, his attention on the screen.

Harper nodded and continued to eat though his change in behavior towards her hurt just a bit. She thought the two of them got on pretty well but something had shifted in their dynamic. His friends' teasing got to him more than he let on. And he let it change his opinion of her. She knew that his parents wouldn't be far behind. It was only a matter of time before they would all be sick of her. The food felt dry as she swallowed, the single thought making her lose her appetite.

"What about you, Harper? Any plans?" Lucas asked.

She shook her head. "I don't think so, no." Though her days consisted of the same thing day in and day out, Harper wasn't complaining. It was preferable to when her days had been filled with pure chaos. At least this way, she knew what to expect. She wasn't good with the unknown and hated surprises because they never meant anything good.

Multiple pings filled the air as Cole's phone lit up with messages. His face clouded over as he took in the texts. Frowning, he typed something back and received a text almost right away.

Lucas nudged Cole. "You know the rules. No phones at the table. Put it away, or we'll take it away."

Cole sighed deeply as if he'd just been told a great tragedy. With the screen off, he looked at his dad. "Happy?"

Olivia frowned. "We don't need the attitude, Cole."

He mumbled an apology and rested his head on his hand. Absent-mindedly, he moved the spoon around in the bowl, his appetite gone.

Another ping sounded a few minutes later and everyone turned to Cole.

"It's not mine," he said with a shrug, then pointed to Harper. "It's hers."

She tilted her head to the side. "What are you talking about?" But then her eyes caught the lit-up screen, and she looked down in surprise to find a message from Sam. The last time they had spoken was at Valley Fest, and she doubted they would ever talk again despite having exchanged numbers. Seeing the text, she was mildly curious to find out what she wanted.

"So Harper can have her phone, but I can't?" Cole asked, a frown tugging down the corners of his lips. "This's so unfair! I can't —"

But Olivia held up a hand for him to stop. "Harper's not on her phone, Cole. She looked at the screen, that's all. There's a difference. Besides, she knows the rules, too."

"Whatever," Cole said, arms crossed over his chest as he sat back in his seat. He wore a permanent frown as he averted everyone's gaze.

"Sorry," Harper said as she turned her phone over so that it lay face down on the table. She glanced cautiously at Cole, whose anger seemed directed at her once again.

They continued with breakfast in another bout of silence. Awkwardness filled the space of the small dining area as the minutes stretched, seeming longer than they were. Cole was the first to finish and loudly pushed his chair back, legs screeching against the tiled floor. He put his unfinished breakfast by the sink and quickly left the kitchen, his steps loud as he stomped up to his room. Moments later, the door slammed, and the house was silent.

"Should we talk to him?" Olivia asked, nervously chewing on her bottom lip.

Lucas shook his head, clearing his dishes along with Olivia's. "Let's give him some time to cool off. Hopefully, whatever's going on with him will end soon."

Harper sighed heavily, knowing that the problem was her. Cole had so much as admitted it the night of Valley Fest.

Bringing her dishes to the sink, she gently set them down and then reached for her phone. The message from Sam appeared on her screen, and she read it over a couple of times. A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips but when she went to reply, her fingers hovered over the keyboard. Uncertain.

"So who's the message from?" Lucas asked.

"Sam," she said, glancing up from the screen. "Uhm, she's going to the beach club with her family and Robby today."

"Oh, that sounds fun," Olivia said.

Harper nodded in agreement. "Yeah. She wants me to go with them but I don't know."

"When are they going?" Oliva questioned, turning the water on in the sink to start on the dishes.

"In about an hour," Harper said, rereading the message.

"I think you should go. It'll be good for you to get out of the house and hang out with some friends," Olivia said.

"Really?" Harper asked, contemplating the idea of going. Though she was happy that Sam invited her, it also brought on a wave of anxiety. Over the years, Harper had done a great job keeping to herself. With all the foster homes she'd been in and out of, friends were better if they didn't exist.

With an invitation staring her in the face, Harper wasn't sure if she was ready. It would only be more people for Harper to say goodbye to when she eventually left the Hudsons.

"Definitely. I'll drop you off," Lucas said, pulling her from her thoughts. "Just let me know when you're ready."

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

Harper stood outside of the beach club and looked at the ornate building. Without even having stepped inside, she felt out of place. With the valet parking and the people who walked past her with an air of importance and money, it was hard not to feel like she didn't belong. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, she did her best to ignore the looks thrown her way. While she was used to being looked at differently, these stares felt different. She wasn't treated as a foster kid but as someone who didn't have the prestige to be there.

You'll have fun, she told herself and willed her legs to move.

One foot in front of the other, Harper walked towards the entrance. Pulling the door open, she stepped inside and took in the elaborate interior. Though minimally furnished, it was apparent that only the wealthy frequented this place. She tore her eyes away from the decor towards her phone, where Sam explained where to meet them. Though the location was simple, which way to go was the real question. She glanced around the lobby again, trying to figure out the pool's direction.

A shadow fell over her, belonging to one of the workers. He looked down at her, an unimpressed look in his judgmental eyes. "Can I help you?"

From the name tag pinned to his shirt, Harper realized he was the manager. "No, but thanks. I'm just meeting my friend here. By the pool," she said, trying to sound more confident than she felt.

"Really?" He drew the word out, straightening his vest. "And who is your friend?"

"Sam LaRusso."

He smirked. "I wasn't made aware that you were a guest of the LaRussos."

"Well, I am. She kinda invited me." Harper shrugged, a hint of a smile on her face. "I should probably go meet her," she said, taking a few steps backward.

"Not so fast," he said, his words clipped as he narrowed his eyes at her. But before he could get another word out, he was approached by another employee. Reluctantly, he tore his attention away from her and towards the younger worker.

With the manager distracted, Harper carefully backed up a few more steps. He didn't seem to notice as he was in the midst of a conversation. She continued to step away from him until she saw a sign that pointed toward the pool. When she stepped out the door, she found herself outside once again. But this time, she was by the poolside.

Harper sighed in relief, happy that the manager didn't have a chance to kick her out. She must've looked as out of place as she had felt, and he immediately picked up on it.

Standing outside, Harper shielded her eyes from the sun and looked around for any sign of Sam. Surprisingly, it didn't take long to locate her, and Sam waved her over.

"You made it!" Sam exclaimed happily.

Harper nodded, matching her smile. "Sorry I'm late. I got a little bit lost." She left out the part about her conversation with the manager. "Wow, this place is...fancy."

"I guess." Sam laughed, shrugging as though she didn't notice. Harper guessed that she was probably used to such luxuries. "Come on, I'll show you where we're sitting."

Harper followed Sam towards a few lounge chairs, one that was already occupied by Robby. He gave her a small smile, but there was still a bit of distrust in his eyes. She returned the smile and then sat down, trying her best to relax. She was very much out of her element, and having just evaded the manager, she hoped he wouldn't find her. The last thing she needed was trouble for herself and the LaRussos. Even though she had been invited here, she doubted he would see it that way.

"My parents are around here somewhere," Sam said, noticing that Harper was looking around. "My dad's trying to recruit students for Miyagi-Do by talking to the parents."

"Good idea. How many people have joined so far?" Harper asked, taking one of the unoccupied loungers.

Sam and Robby shared a look before she said, "None."

Harper raised her eyebrows, her eyes wide at the nonexistent number. "None? Are you serious?"

"People are interested in Cobra Kai. They teach offense, which looks cooler than defense training," Robby said, speaking up for the first time.

"Okay, but still...." Harper trailed off, unsure of what else she could say. She felt bad they got no recruits, especially since their demonstration had been cut short. "That sucks. I'm sorry."

"That's just Cobra Kai," Sam said with a long sigh.

"They definitely have the whole bully personality down," she said, thinking back to a couple nights ago.

"What do you mean?" Sam asked, throwing a confused look her way.

"I actually bumped into a couple of them at Valley Fest. After you guys left, I mean." She then recounted how spilling Mitch's drink almost resulted in a fight.

"He actually hit you?" Robby asked, incredulous.

"Pushed but... yeah. He definitely would've done more if Hawk hadn't stopped him."

"Be careful with them, okay?" Sam told her.

Harper nodded and ran a hand through her hair, untangling some knots that had formed from the warm breeze.

Sam lifted her head, and her attention landed on the balcony where a girl their age stood near the railing. Sam raised her hand in a small wave but decided against it at the last moment.

Robby followed her gaze. "What's going on?"

"It's Aisha," Sam said with a small sigh.

Harper raised her eyebrows. "Who?"

"My best friend. But we kind of had a fight and haven't spoken since everything that went down at Valley Fest," Sam explained with a frown.

"Let me guess: it's kind of complicated?" Harper asked.

Sam let out a soft laugh, nodding. "Yeah. Definitely. I feel like we should clear the air, but at the same time, I'm still pissed at them for ruining our performance."

"Wait," Harper said, looking toward where Aisha stood, oblivious to their stares. "Your best friend is in Cobra Kai?"

"Unfortunately," Sam answered with a sigh. "We've had our issues, but now we're not talking at all."
"I say go talk to her," Robby said.

Sam bit her lip as her eyes drifted back to the balcony. "Should I?"

"Why not? If she doesn't want to talk, then at least you tried," Harper told her.

Sam contemplated their words before standing up. "Worst case, if a fight breaks out, we could record it."

Robby grinned at the idea. "And we'll use the video to get us recruits."

Harper looked from one to the other. "That's not such a bad idea."

"It's a terrible idea," Sam said with a laugh. "Who knows, maybe I'll come back with a new Miyagi-Do student. Wish me luck," Sam said and then walked away.

Left alone with Robby, the silence between them felt heavy and awkward. Harper sat back against the lounger and absentmindedly toyed with the rose gold chain around her left wrist. She let her gaze wander around the poolside, observing all the guests that were enjoying a beautiful summer day. Her attention was focused on the families that crowded around tables and those who played in the pool. Happy families who seemed to have their lives together, while hers was nothing short of a mess. Harper couldn't help but feel envious despite not knowing any of them.

She longed for a life of stability, though she knew it was out of reach for someone like her. Her life hasn't been stable for a long time and probably never would be. Although she lived with the Hudsons at the moment, no one knew how long the placement would last. The uncertainty of not knowing what the next day would bring was nerve-wracking. Though she tried her best to be positive, Harper always prepared for the worse. It was easier when things didn't work out. That way, her hopes weren't crushed, and no expectations were destroyed.

"You okay?" Robby's voice broke through her thoughts, and she looked toward him.

"Yeah, fine," she answered quickly, looking away from his scrutinizing stare.

"Right," he said, disbelief in his voice. He remained silent before he nodded in the direction Harper had been looking in just a moment ago. "They've got the good life, huh?"

Harper shrugged, her eyes downcast.

"It's overrated, you know."

"What is?" She asked.

"Family," he answered after a few seconds.

Harper scoffed, shaking her head at his comment. "Says the guy who has one."

Robby let out a humorless laugh. "Some family. My dad's a deadbeat, and my mom cares more about pills, alcohol, and her boyfriend of the week than me."

Harper shifted in her seat to face him, but he quickly averted her gaze. She ran a hand through her hair, frustrated that they each had their battles. They were too young to have to deal with bullshit like this. It didn't seem fair that while some had a perfect life, others needed to fight for survival. Life had a wicked sense of humor that way. She let her mind wander to all the messed up foster homes she'd been in, all the times she'd been mistreated. Subconsciously, Harper touched the faint scar on her forehead. One of the many reminders of some of the cruelty she'd had to endure.

"It's gotta be better than foster care," she said after a minute.

Robby raised an eyebrow at her words. "You think so?"

She started to talk but decided against her words. Saying yes would make it seem like her situation was worse when they were equally horrible. The last thing she wanted was to start a game of who has it worse. Instead, she shrugged and shook her head. "I don't know," she answered honestly, giving him a weak smile. "But after nine different foster homes, anything seems better."

He nodded slowly, letting her words sink in. "Looks like both our lives are pretty screwed up."

Harper laughed despite the seriousness of the conversation. "Yeah."

"I hope things work out," Robby said.

"Me, too," she said with a sigh as she relaxed against the lounge chair. Before they could get too comfortable, a shadow fell over them.

"I knew it was you." The beach manager stood before them with a hard glare in his eyes. "A guest of the LaRussos, huh?"

"I wasn't lying." But as Harper said this, she knew there was no way to prove it as Sam wasn't around.

"Do you think that I'm stupid?" The manager asked with a shake of his head. He turned his attention to Robby, recognition dawning on his face. Crossing his arms over his chest, a smirk played on his lips. "So is this your new partner in crime? You two are in this together?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harper said slowly, sharing a confused look with Robby.

"I think you do. I know exactly why you're here and what you're up to but you won't get away with it," he said with a condescending smile before fixing Robby with a look. "What did I say would happen if you ever stepped foot in here again? I'm calling the cops," the manager stated, pulling his phone out.

"Wait," Harper pleaded. "You don't even know us."

"No, but I know him, and I've dealt with your kind before," he said. "The cops will take care of this."

"Uh, what's going on here?" Amanda stopped beside them and looked around at the three of them.

"Nothing to worry about, Mrs. LaRusso. Just removing these... delinquents from the property," he explained, throwing a disgusted look toward the two of them.

"Well, these delinquents happen to be our guests," Amanda informed him.

The manager gave her a weak smile, shaking his head. "Ma'am, I don't think you understand."

"No, I don't think you understand," she said. "Robby and Harper are our guests. Period."

The manager swallowed hard, struggling to find his voice. "Uh... my mistake," he apologized, then left without another word.

Harper relaxed visibly as she sighed in relief.

Amanda took a seat in the empty lounger. "What was that all about?"

"I don't know. I mean, he didn't believe that Sam invited us. He thought we were here to cause trouble," Harper said.

"Why would he think that?" Amanda asked.

"Because he didn't want to let me in here before even when I told him Sam invited me. I had to sneak past him," Harper explained.

"I'm sorry that happened," Amanda said with a frown. "And Robby? Any idea why he wanted you out?"

Robby looked down, avoiding their stares. "Before I met you guys, I-I was a different person," he started with a sigh, a look of guilt on his face. "Me and my friends did some stuff here that I regret."

"Did you hurt anybody?" Amanda asked.

"No, no, no. Nothing like that." Robby shook his head. "But that guy's right."

"Maybe we should just go," Harper stated quietly.

"Neither of you is going anywhere," Amanda said, turning from Harper to Robby. "Now, hey, look... We all make mistakes. It's what we do next that counts, right?"

Robby nodded to her words. "Right."

"Good. Now try to relax and enjoy yourselves, okay?" Amanda stood up and, with one last smile, left them.

"That could've been really bad," Harper said, relieved that they'd avoided trouble

"Yeah," he said, then frowned. "Sorry you almost got kicked out because of me."

Tilting her head, she threw a look his way. "It's not your fault," she said. "And I'm not judging you, you know. We've all done stuff to survive."

The next several minutes passed by without any incidents. The two were able to relax without looking over their shoulders to see if the beach manager was nearby. Harper was thankful that Amanda stepped in when she did. The last thing she wanted was to cause trouble for Olivia and Lucas. And she knew that if the manager had called the cops, they would likely believe the beach manager over her. The same could be said for Robby, as the manager had some sort of grudge against him. Luckily, trouble had been avoided.

The afternoon sun felt nice against her skin as she relaxed for possibly the first time that day. The sounds of footsteps pulled her from a relaxed state, and she opened her eyes. She squinted against the sun as Sam plopped down onto one of the loungers.

"Hey," she said softly, sitting up. "How did it go? Are you two friends again?"

Sam shrugged in reply, a heavy sigh escaping her lips. "Not so great. We were getting along, but... She came with one of her new Cobra Kai friends. Tory."

"And that's a bad thing?" Harper asked.

Sam shot her a look, rolling her eyes. "Yes. Tory just seems like bad news. I don't trust her," she said with a shake of her head. She remained quiet for a moment before she continued. "I mean, Aisha's already in Cobra Kai getting brainwashed, and now this new friend is doing the same thing to her. It just sucks." Her mood soured. She rested against the lounge chair and closed her eyes.

Harper threw a look toward Robby, who simply shrugged. With a quiet sigh, she leaned back against the chair and did her best to relax. But her mind was filled nearly to the brim with more Cobra Kai problems. There was a rivalry and mistrust between the two dojos that Harper didn't understand yet. If she ever would understand it. Harper felt out of the loop but didn't know if she wanted to be looped into it all. But if she hung around with Sam and Robby, there was a great possibility that Harper would be pulled into the drama. Something she wasn't sure she wanted.

No sooner had she cleared her mind than Sam announced they would leave. Harper felt relieved that their day trip to the beach club had ended. She'd felt out of place from the moment she arrived, and the altercations with the manager hadn't made it any easier. She quickly packed the few items she'd brought, waiting patiently as her friends put their things away.

"I'm sorry about Aisha," Robby said.

"Me, too. Do you want to talk about it?" Harper offered.

"No." Despite her previous words, Sam shrugged. "She can be friends with whoever she wants," she said, her voice holding an edge.

Harper wanted to offer more support but wasn't sure if anything she said would help.

"Hey," Amanda said as she stopped beside them, rummaging through her bag. "Have either of you seen my wallet?"

"Wait, you're missing your wallet?" Robby asked, a serious look crossing his face.

"It's gotta be around here somewhere. Can you just spread out?" Amanda suggested as she checked her bag once more.

"I'm sure it'll turn up," Harper said.

"I'll go check the beach. Maybe someone turned it into the lifeguard," Robby said.

"Hey," Harper said, stopping him in his tracks. "Do you want some help?"

Robby shook his head. "No. I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Harper said, watching him walk away. "So, should we split up to look for the wallet?" She asked but received no reply. Turning around, she saw that her friend was no longer there. "Sam?"

"Oh, I think she went over there." Amanda nodded, pointing in the general direction Sam had gone off in.

Harper followed her line of sight, and sure enough, she found Sam walking toward the stairwell that led to the second floor. She was curious about what she was doing, but her question was answered with one look at the balcony.

"What are you doing?" Harper questioned once she caught up to Sam, taking the steps two at a time.

"Getting some answers," Sam said with a look of surprise at finding Harper beside her.

Harper took a second to process her word, her eyes growing wide with realization. "You don't think Aisha and Tory took your mom's wallet, do you? Because that's crazy."

"You don't know Tory."

"And neither do you," Harper countered.

Sam didn't reply as she stepped onto the balcony, her eyes searching for the two girls. "Hey!"

Aisha and Tory turned around with a mixed look of confusion and interest on their faces.

"My mom's missing her wallet," Sam told them, though her attention was solely on Tory.

"Sucks for her," Tory said with a laugh.

Harper stopped beside Sam. "Don't do this," she said quietly, but Sam shrugged off her words.

"You wouldn't know anything about that?" Sam questioned.

Their laughter died down as the accusation settled around them, realization dawning on their faces.

"Wait," Aisha said slowly. "Wait, what are you saying?"

"Just give me the wallet, and I won't tell security," Sam continued.

Tory's smile disappeared entirely. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

"Sam, I don't think she stole it."

Sam threw a look Harper's way, shaking her head. "Right. And she didn't steal a bottle of vodka and wouldn't steal half the silverware in here."

"Listen, I didn't rob your mom, bitch," Tory said defensively, taking a small step toward her. A second passed before she decided against saying or doing anything else. With a shake of her head, Tory turned her back to them. "Let's get out of here," she said to Aisha.

"Come on, let's just go back," Harper said, but Sam reached for Tory's bag no sooner had the words been spoken.

"Get off of me!" Tory yanked her bag from Sam's grasp, pushing her back towards a table full of deserts.

She stumbled backward, unable to regain her balance. People watched silently as the table crashed to the floor, covering Sam in various kinds of desert. For a moment, no one moved or said anything.

Aisha took a tentative step towards Sam. "Are you okay?"

"Real nice friend you've made," Sam said bitterly.

"You shouldn't have accused her of something like that, though." Aisha left them, running after Tory who had already left the scene.

"She's right, you know." Harper extended her hand to Sam, who reluctantly accepted the help.

"Who's side are you on?" Sam asked as she wiped some of the frosting from her face.

"Yours," she told her despite not liking the idea of taking sides. Harper wondered if there would always be this us versus them mentality. "Why do you think Tory stole the wallet?"

"Because," Sam started, trying to wipe some of the frosting from her face, "just look at her. She doesn't belong here."

Harper narrowed her eyes at the statement. "Why? Because she's Cobra Kai or because she's not super rich and privileged like everyone else here?"

"Both. Obviously," Sam answered.

"So, like me," Harper stated, getting her attention.

But Sam quickly shook her head. "No, that's not - You're not in Cobra Kai."

"No, but I don't belong here, either."

"Of course you do. I invited you here," Sam said.

"And Aisha invited Tory," she pointed out. "Look. If the roles were reversed, would you have accused me of stealing your mom's wallet?"

The question hung in the air before Sam shook her head, a look of surprise on her face. "No. No, of course not! I wanted -"

"Forget it," she said, not letting Sam finish. The few seconds of pause have been enough of an answer for her. Sometimes it was the silence that spoke volumes.

"I didn't mean anything by it," Sam told her.

And perhaps she hadn't but Harper already had her mind made up. She knew what it was like to not fit in and be judged solely on appearances. "You should probably try to get all this cake off you."

Harper walked away, leaving her standing there in silence. It didn't take her long to return to where they had been lounging all day. She was disappointed to find that no one else had returned. All she could do now was wait. Her eyes wandered again, taking in the people who soaked up the sun. For such a relaxing place, there had been little of that taking place. The entire day had been filled with nothing but drama from the start. Not to mention the judgmental eyes that followed her with each move that she made. Her regret in ever agreeing to come here resurfaced once again. With a frustrated sigh, she ran a hand through her hair. She wished for time to speed up though it seemed to do the opposite.

The sound of voices pulled her attention away from her thoughts. She looked over her shoulder to see Robby and Daniel walking from the beach. They were in the middle of a conversation, but it ended when Daniel walked toward the main building.

"How'd it go?" Harper asked but once Robby reached her, she took in the freshly formed bruises on his face. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. But we found it," he answered with a grin.

"That's great. Did the lifeguard have it?"

Robby shook his head, frowning slightly. "Uh, no. Remember the friends I mentioned before?" When Harper nodded, he continued, "Well, stealing wallets was something that we did. I'm not proud of what I used to do but I remembered their hiding spot and found Mrs. LaRusso's wallet and a few others."

"And the bruises?" She asked.

"I bumped into my old friends. They weren't too happy with me," he said with a shrug. "But, I'm okay. Mr. LaRusso helped."

"I'm glad you're okay. And that found it," she told him.

"Thanks," Robby said with a smile. He looked past her, a bemused look on his face. "What happened to you?"

Harper glanced over her shoulder to find Sam. The cake was gone from her face and hair, but the icing still clung to parts of her clothes.

Sam glanced over at Harper before she said, "Nothing. I-I fell."

Harper rolled her eyes slightly at the simple explanation but said nothing.

"We found your mom's wallet," Robby said, to which Harper threw a knowing look Sam's way. He looked from one to the other, his smile slowly disappearing. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," Harper answered quickly.

"You sure?" Robby asked slowly. "Did you guys have a fight or something?"

"No," Harper said while Sam told him, "Everything's fine. My parents said that we're leaving now."

"Great," Harper said, relief washing over her.

They walked towards the exit in silence, neither one of them talking. Robby glanced their way every couple of seconds, questioning the tension between them.

"We're heading back to the dojo for a little bit. Do you want to come with us?" Robby offered.

"No," she said, before looking over at Sam. "I should head back to the Hudsons. You know, I don't exactly have the privilege of going where I want to go. I need to check in with my foster parents."

"Another time then," Robby said, throwing another curious look at them.

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

The front door closed with a soft click and Harper let out a sigh of relief at being home. Or as close to home as it would ever get for her. The day had been an exhausting one. The whole point of that day was to relax, but it proved to be impossible. From her altercation with the manager to Mrs. LaRusso's lost wallet to her disagreement with Sam, the day had been the opposite of relaxing. Perhaps keeping to herself would've been the better option. She'd been so desperate for a normal life that she forgot she was just a foster kid. Harper knew better than to let her guard down, yet she'd done it anyway.

Never again, Harper told herself as she walked through the house and into the living room.

Cole was seated at the edge of the couch. His attention was on the screen while his fingers quickly worked the controller.

"Hey," Harper said, hovering nearby as her eyes went from Cole to the screen.

Cole barely glanced up but he stiffened at her words. "Hi."

His unenthusiastic greeting caused her to frown, but she quickly hid it with a smile. "What are you playing?"

He rolled his eyes at her question. "A video game," he said slowly, matter-of-factly.

"I can see that," Harper said with a slightly forced laugh. "Can I play, too? We haven't done that in a while."

He glanced at her sideways before he said, "It's not really a multiplayer game, so no."

"Got it." Harper took a few steps back but stopped. It bothered her that Cole's attitude towards her had changed in the last few days. If their relationship had been strained from the start, she would've accepted this and moved on with her day. But things had been different, and they had gotten along. Whatever was going on, Harper wanted to know. Wanted to fix it. "Are your friends still giving you a hard time?"

He briefly looked away from the tv to see that she still stood there, and he sighed audibly. A look of annoyance clouded his features. Instead of answering, he shrugged and turned his attention toward the screen again.

"Cole. I'm not leaving until you talk to me."

Several seconds went by in silence save for the video game. When it was obvious that Harper wouldn't leave, Cole paused the game and threw the controller onto the coffee table. "Yeah, they are. And it sucks! It really sucks when your friends are treating you like crap."

"I'm sorry," she said, knowing it did little to help. "Do you want me to do something? Maybe have your parents -"

"You can leave." He stood up, his expression serious as he stared up at her.

"You know I can't do that. I -"

"I wish that you never even came here. You ruined everything," Cole said.

Harper froze as the words hit her hard, and she didn't know what to say. What could she say? It hurt that after all this time, he had come to resent her because people talked shit. She was used to not being wanted, but it hurt differently this time. She let out a quiet sigh while she tried to find something, anything, to say. "I get that people are talking, but I didn't do anything."

Cole crossed his arms over his chest, his eyes narrowed as he looked at her. "But you're here. Everything was fine before you showed up. No one talked crap about us, and my friends didn't pick on me. I hate having you here!"

Harper flinched at his words. She stood there silently, the room's silence growing with each second that passed.

Olivia stepped into the room, followed by Lucas. They looked at them curiously, sensing the tension that hung in the air.

"What's going on here?" Olivia asked, her eyes wide.

Cole looked away from his parents, nervously chewing on his lip.

"It's nothing. We were just -" Harper started, but Lucas held up a hand.

"We want Cole to answer," Lucas said.

"Why me?" Cole asked with a look of disbelief.

"Because you're the one that's yelling. We heard you in the other room. Now, what's the problem?" Lucas asked, expecting an answer.

Cole crossed and uncrossed his arms, seemingly not knowing what to do. He looked to his parents, who waited for him to talk. "Harper is," he said slowly, clenching his fists. "All my friends know that we took in a stray."

"Watch your words," Lucas warned.

"But they keep giving me a hard time. It's embarrassing because everyone knows. They're all talking. About you guys, too."

"We don't care what people are saying," Olivia said.

"But I do! It's ruining my life, and it's all her fault. You never should've brought her here," Cole argued.

"Honey, we asked how you felt about us fostering, and you said you were fine with it," Olivia reminded him. However, she threw a sympathetic look her way.

Cole ignored his mom as he stared down at the floor. "Well, I hate it now." Before either parent could speak, he bolted from the room. His footsteps thudded on the steps before his bedroom door slammed shut.

A heavy silence filled the room, the tension palpable. Cole's words hung in the air, wrapping themselves around Harper. They suffocated her, making her chest ache from the emotions that threatened to spill out.

"I'm sorry. I-I didn't want to cause any trouble," she said softly, breaking the silence.

Olivia shook her head at her apology. "It's not your fault. You know we don't blame you for anything," she reassured her, though it did little to make Harper feel better.

"Cole just needs some time, but he'll work through this," Lucas added. "It'll be okay, you'll see."

Harper nodded, forcing a small smile onto her face. She left the room, the heaviness of the fight coating every surface in the house. She climbed the stairs but stopped short of the landing. Her hand on the railing, she could just make out the conversation between Lucas and Olivia. She sat down on the step, her heart racing as she listened in.

"- isn't like him," Olivia said, her words filled with pain.

"He just has to figure out a way to deal with this," Lucas said.

"And what if he doesn't?" Olivia asked.

Lucas let out a long sigh. "Then maybe we didn't think this whole thing through. We should've -"

Harper closed her eyes, wondering when everything got so complicated. Things had been going smoothly for once in her life, and she'd fallen into a false sense of security. With her track record, life was bound to become a shitshow at some point. She just didn't think it would happen so fast. Her mind was a jumbled mess of thoughts as she tried to make sense of everything. She mentally kicked herself for allowing herself to get used to this family. For getting too comfortable too fast. The number one rule she set for herself had been broken, and now she was paying the price.

She tuned out the rest of the conversation. Having heard enough, she stood up and forced herself to move. She closed the door and leaned against it when she reached her bedroom. Squeezing her eyes shut, Harper willed for the troublesome thoughts to slow down enough for her to make some sort of a plan. But her thoughts only circled back to Cole's painful words and the complex situation this put Olivia and Lucas in.

Taking a deep breath, Harper let it out slowly as her eyes took in the area. The minimal decorations she'd put up had made the room feel like hers. But as she stood there helplessly, it felt foreign to her. It was never hers to begin with, but now she felt like an intruder. She did her best to sort her thoughts, shutting out the ones that were irrelevant to the situation at hand. After a couple of minutes went by, she was able to think somewhat clearly. Harper knew what needed to be done though it filled her with dread.

It's for the best, she told herself as she stepped further into the bedroom.

Harper quickly packed a bag and slipped the phone out from her back pocket before she placed it on the dresser. With one last look around the room, she walked towards the door. Opening it an inch, she saw that the hallway was empty. Save for the music that blasted from Cole's room, it was quiet. Harper walked to the landing and took careful steps down the stairs. She winced as the boards creaked beneath her feet, pausing mid-step to see if either Lucas or Olivia heard it. When the silence continued, she took the last few steps down. The front door was within her reach, but her vision became blurry as she reached for the doorknob. She blinked back the tears as a shaky sigh escaped her lips. But she didn't want to be anywhere that she wasn't wanted.

She grabbed onto the doorknob and pulled the door open. The late afternoon sunshine bathed her in light, but she felt heavy as she stepped outside. A sense of finality settled around her as the door closed, marking the end of a life that could have been hers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.3K 708 30
A karate tournament just around the corner. Rivals facing rivals in one final battle. The fate of the war could go to either side. And this time the...
36.4K 1.2K 35
𝗙!𝗢𝗖 𝘅 𝗗𝗲𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗿𝗶 𝗔𝗹𝗲𝘅𝗼𝗽𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗼𝘀 𝘅 𝗘𝗹𝗶 𝗠𝗼𝘀𝗸𝗼𝘄𝗶𝘁𝘇 Kalon Lawrence has always been a fighter. Being the daughter of Johnny...
366K 10.3K 68
𝐼𝑛•𝑠𝑎•𝑡𝑖𝑎•𝑏𝑙𝑒 [𝑎𝑑𝑗𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒] - 𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑡𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝑜𝑟 𝑑𝑒𝑠𝑖𝑟𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑠𝑓𝑦. in which Johnny Lawrence's daughter follo...
3K 140 9
🥋 ❛ some things leave me confused, but especially you ❜ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ: miguel diaz and the new delinquent in town begin a fake relationship, in hopes to...