The Prince's Brother

By DisasterChild20

Silas Pendragon, Arthur Pendragon's 14 year old brother. More

The Dragon's Call
Valiant
The Mark Of Nimueh
The Poisoned Chalice
Lancelot
A Remedy to Cure All Ills
The Gates of Avalon
The Beginning of the End
Excalibur
The Moment of Truth
The Labyrinth of Gedref
To Kill the King
Le Morte d'Arthur
The Curse of Cornelius Sigan
The Once and Future Queen
The Nightmare Begins
Lancelot and Guinevere
Beauty and the Beast Part One
Beauty and the Beast Part Two
The Sins of the Father
The Lady of the Lake

The Witchfinder

189 5 1
By DisasterChild20

Silas stands next to Arthur as they listen to Cathryn, a peasant, talk to their father and the court "It was sorcery you saw, and you're certain of it?" Uther asks. "Yes, Sire." Cathryn responds. "And you swear this before your King?" Uther asks. "I swear it." Cathryn swears. "Perhaps your eyes deceived you, a trick of the light." Arthur suggests. "The smoke was alive, I tell you. I feared for my life." Cathryn tells them. "I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your loyalty will not go unrewarded." Uther tells the woman. "Thank you, Sire." Cathryn responds, a knight escorting her out. "It cannot continue." Uther says. "I will hunt down those responsible, Father. I promise they will not escape unpunished." Arthur assures him, both he and Silas taking note of the slightly guilty look on Merlin's face. "No. Stronger methods are called for. Send for the Witchfinder." Uther decides, Silas paling as several Courtiers gasp. "Sire, is it necessary to resort to such measures?" Gaius asks, concern on his face. "The Witchfinder is a trusted ally, Gaius. His help will be invaluable." Uther responds. "Of course." Gaius nods.

Silas immediately goes to his room and gathers all his books and magical things in a bag, a knock on the door interrupting him "Who is it?" Silas asks. "Me." Arthur responds. Silas sighs in relief "You can come in Arthur." he tells his brother. Arthur walks in and takes note of the bag "Come on, I know some places you can hide it." he tells him. Silas nods and follows Arthur out, the bag over his shoulder. The two brothers head through the castle to an abandoned floor "We can use one of these rooms, no one comes down here anymore." Arthur tells him. Silas nods and walks into one of the rooms, going over to the fireplace "What are you doing?" his brother asks. "Hold this a second." Silas tells him, passing him the bag. Arthur takes the bag as Silas climbs into the fireplace, sticking the top half of his body up the chimney and removing a few of the stones from the interior "Pass the bag here." Silas tells Arthur, putting a hand out for the bag. Arthur passes it to him, Silas putting the bag in the hole he made before putting the stones back and climbing out the fireplace "Hidden?" Arthur asks. "Yeah." Silas nods, brushing the soot out his hair.

That night, Silas follows his father and Arthur into the Council Chamber "So where's he been all this time?" Arthur asks. "In foreign lands. Wherever the pursuit of sorcery takes him." Uther responds. "He does all this in your name?" Arthur asks their father. "The Witchfinder serves no one. He's a law unto himself." Uther tells him. "Do you smell it? Do you smell it, Uther?" Aredian asks. "Aredian." Uther greets. "It's all around us, the foul stench of sorcery. It's infected your great city like a contagion." Aredian tells him. "I welcome you to Camelot, Aredian. Thank you for making such haste to be here." Uther tells the man. "Well, let's hope I'm not too late, hmm? For every hour counts in the war against sorcery. Unchecked, it spreads like a disease. It seeks out the young and the old, the weak and the able, the fair and the foul of heart alike. You've grown lazy, Uther. You've grown idle. Your once noble Camelot is rotten to the core. You stand on the brink of dark oblivion." Aredian says. "I am at your disposal, Aredian. The knights will aid you in any way they can." Arthur tells him.

"You must be Arthur... and Silas." Aredian says. "We must be." Arthur nods. "You're a great warrior. The finest this kingdom has ever known." Aredian tells Arthur. "Thank you." he responds. "So you won't be offended when I say that I shall have no need of you or your knights. The subtle craft of sorcery can only be fought by yet subtler means, methods honed over decades of study, methods known only to myself." Aredian tells them. "We are grateful for your help." Uther tells the Witfchfinder. "But gratitude alone can't keep a man alive. You must put food in his belly." Aredian responds. "I will pay your price, Aredian, whatever it may be." Uther assures. "I will bid you goodnight." the Witchfinder says, going to leave. "Aredian, when do you begin?" Arthur asks. "I've already begun." Aredian responds. Arthur and Silas leave the chambers, Silas unusually quiet "Silas?" Arthur asks. "Hm?" Silas hums, looking at his brother. "I asked if you were alright." Arthur tells him. "I... being in his presence., I could feel all the people he's put to death..." Silas trails off. "We'll try to keep him away from you then." Arthur tells him, Silas nodding unsure.

The next day Aredian presents three women before the court "Speak, do not be afraid." he tells them. "I...I was drawing water from the well, Sire, when I saw them: faces in the water. Terrible faces, like people who were drowned, screaming. Screaming." the first woman, Beatrice, tells the court. Arthur looks at Silas who subtle shakes his head, telling his brother that neither he or Merlin have done anything. "Tell them what you saw" Aredian tells the next woman. "A goblin dancing on the coals. it was dancing in the flames, and it spoke, Sire. My heart near stopped for fear of it." the next woman, Annie, says. "As you've heard, My Lord, the incident in the woods was only the beginning, hmm?" Aredian says, looking at the next woman. "There was a sorcerer, Sire, in the square. There were creatures jumping right out of his mouth." the final woman, Rowena, tells Uther. "And what manner of creature?" Aredian asks. "Toads, Sire. Great green, slimy things as big as your fist." Rowena says. "The sorcerer laughs in your face. Even now magic flourishes on the streets of Camelot." Aredian tells the court. "I can scarcely believe it." Uther says. "Yet it is the truth, My Lord. Fortunately I've utilised every facet of my craft to bring this matter to a swift resolution." Aredian tells him.

"The sorcerer? You have a suspect?" Uther asks. "Oh, I do, My Lord. I regret to say, they stand among us in this very room. My methods are infallible, my findings incontestable! The facts point to two people and two people alone: the boy, Merlin! And Prince Silas!" Aredian declares. "Merlin and Silas? You can't be serious." Arthur says. "This is outrageous! You have no evidence!" Haius exclaims, coming to the defence of his ward and boy he sees as a grandson. "The tools of magic cannot be hidden from me. I am certain that a thorough search of the boys chambers will deliver us all we need." Aredian says. "Merlin? Silas?" Uther asks. "I have nothing to hide from him." Merlin responds. "Nor do I." Silas adds. "Very well. Guards, restrain them. Let the search begin." Uther tells them. Merlin and Silas get taken away, Arthur and Morgana getting ready to protest but being stopped as Silas shakes his head.

Silas paces back and forth in his cell, stopping when Annalise walks over "Silas." she greets. "Annalise." he responds, walking to the bars. Annalise holds his hand through the bars "I hate seeing you in here." she tells him. "I'm alright, Aredian won't find anything in my chambers and I'm sure he won't find anything in Merlin's." Silas assures her. Annalise intertwines their fingers, looking in his eyes "I hate him. Aredian has no proof of you and Merlin doing anything, neither of you should be in here." she says. Silas lifts his other hand and cups her cheek "I'll be out of here soon, Arthur and Morgana aren't going to let me stay in here." he tells her. "Neither am I." Annalise smiles. Silas smiles and lifts their intertwined hands, gently kissing her hand and making her blush. Arthur walks in and smiles at the two of them "Si, you're free go. Aredian didn't find anything in your room, he does want to question you tomorrow though." he tells his brother, opening the cell. Annalise immediately jumps into Silas' arms, Silas wrapping his arms round her waist as hers go to his neck "I'll give you two a minute." Arthur smiles, walking away and making sure no one disturbs the teens. As the teens leave the cells, they pass Gaius in a cell "Gaius? What are doing in there? What happened?" Silas asks. "Aredian found an amulet in my chambers, I couldn't let Merlin get prosecuted for something that's not his." Gaius explains. "I'll fix this Gaius." Silas tells him. "We both will." Annalise adds. "Silas, I can't expect you to do anything. Or you Annalise." the physician tells them, looking worried. "You can't but will will." Silas tells him, leading Annalise out.

The next day, Silas sits being questioned by Aredian after Morgana "Did you know that Gaius was in possession of this amulet?" he asks. "No, I did not." Silas responds. "You've been treated many time over the year by Gaius, why is this?" Aredian asks. "I'm clumsy, for starters. I also train and rough house with Arthur and the knights, I'm guaranteed to get cuts and bruises." Silas tells him. "Wha about the other times?" Aredian asks him. "What other times?" Silas asks in confusion. "The times you've gone to him when you're not I'll or hurt." the Witchfinder responds. "Gaius lends me books to read, it helps when I'm on missions and tasks with Arthur. As you're aware there are magical creatures and beasts that Arthur and I have had to face in the past, having knowledge on them helps us find their weaknesses." Silas tells him. "Hm, what other books does Gaius lend you? Magic books on spells, perhaps?" Aredian asks. "No, I also like reading his memoirs. I like knowing how to help people incase someone gets hurt and we can't get them back to Gaius in time." Silas responds. "Do this include magical remedies?" Aredian asks, raising a brow. "No, just herbs and other plants along their healing properties." Silas retorts. Hm, that is all for now." Aredian tells him.

Silas stands and goes to walk out "Also, let Annalise know that I want to talk to her about her mentor. Can't be sure that he hasn't taught her his ways." Aredian adds. "He hasn't." Silas glares. "How can ou be so sure?" Aredian asks. "I know Annalise, she is a good, kind person." Silas tells him. "Seems like you're close to he, maybe she has you under an enchantment." Aredian suggests. Silas glares "Let's be clear here, Aredian. I know what you're doing and I'm going to stop you. Gaius is innocent, Annalise is innocent, Morgana is innocent, anyone else you decide to accuse is innocent. You've gone on this witch-hunt to get a pretty penny from my father, this is not going to turn out the way you want it to." he growls. "Is that a threat?" Aredian asks. "No. It's a promise." Silas glares, walking out and slamming the door behind him.

Silas walks into his chambers, finding Arthur sat at the table waiting "Where've you been?" Arthur asks. "Guess father didn't tell you then. Aredian called me and Morgana in for questioning." Silas responds. "He what?!" Arthur exclaims. Silas walks over and flops back on his bed "He threatened Annalise..." he trails off. "You think he knows?" Arthur asks. "I don't know... I don't want her getting hurt because of me." Silas mumbles. Arthur looks over "Silas, I'll help you protect her and go against if I have to. I'm not letting anything happen to either of you." he tells him. "I can't ask you to do that Arthur, you're the future King. I'm just Father's biggest disappointment and regret." Silas mumbles. Arthur gets up and walks over, crouching so he's level with the bed "Sit up." he tells Silas. Sighing, Silas does so "Look at me." Arthur tells him, making him look at his brother. "You, Silas, are not a disappointment. You're smart, strong, thoughtful, kind and, most importantly, my baby brother. Don't you ever think anything less." Arthur says. Silas feels tears begin to fall "Why does he hate me?" he asks in a broken voice. Arthur immediately pulls him into a hug, Silas crying into his neck.

There's a knock on the door making Arthur look at it "Who is it?" he asks. "Arthur?it's me." Morgana responds. "You can come in." Arthur responds, still holding Silas close. Morgana walks in and immediately makes her way over "What happened?" she asks in concern. "Aredian threatened Annalise to start. Silas then went on to say how he doesn't want her to get hurt because of him, and that he's 'Father's biggest disappointment and regret'. He also asked why Father hates him." Arthur explains quietly. Silas clings to his older brother, shaking with silent sobs "You think we should sneak him out the castle for a bit?" Morgana asks just as quietly. Arthur hesitates before shaking his head "It'd just be worse when he comes back." he tells her. Morgana nods sadly "Aredian also questioned me." she tells Arthur. "Silas mentioned, are you alright?" Arthur asks. "Better than Si." Morgana responds, gently holding Silas' hand and stroking the back of it with her thumb.

The next day, Silas stands next to Arthur in the council chamber as Aredian throws Gaius to his knees before the court "Confess! Confess!" Aredian shouts, Silas flinching. "I...I am a sorcerer, Sire. I am responsible for conjuring the smoke. I'm guilty of practicing magic in Camelot, the goblin, the faces in the well, I...I am the sorcerer who conjured the toad from his mouth." Gaius says. "You've betrayed me, Gaius. Betrayed your friends. And above all, you've betrayed yourself. By the laws of Camelot, I must sentence you to death." Uther tells him. "The sorcerer will be purged of his magic by means of fire! He shall be burnt at the stake tomorrow at dawn! Bear witness and heed this lesson!" Aredian declares. Guards drag Gaius out of the room as Merlin charges at Aredian "You're a liar." he shouts. Arthur gets up and restrains him, dragging him from the room as Silas follows "Guards!" Uther orders. "You're a liar!" Merlin repeats. "We'll deal with this." Arthur tells the guards as he drags Merlin out the room, Silas subtlety motioning for Annalise to follow.

The brothers take Merlin and Annalise to the dungeons, Arthur letting go of Merlin. Merlin takes a swing at him but Arthur grabs his arm and twists it behind his back "I know you're upset. I know you're angry. It's alright. I'm not throwing you in jail." he tells him. "Then what are you doing?" Merlin asks. Arthur lets him go "I'm breaking the law." he responds, opening Gaius' cell. "We can only give you a few minutes." Silas tells them. "Thank you Silas, Arthur." Annalise smiles sadly, squeezing Silas' hand as she passes him.

The four of them leave the cells, Merlin motioning to the side. They go to a deserted corridor where Merlin turns to face them "The amulet wasn't mine and it wasn't Gaius', it got there without us knowing." he explains. "Then why did Gaius confess?" Arthur asks in confusion. "He thought it was mine, he was protecting me." Merlin responds. "How did it get in his chambers then?" Silas frowns in confusion. "Could someone have planted it?" Annalise suggests. "Let's go search the rest of the room, there could be clues as to how it got there." Arthur decides, leading them to Gaius' chambers.

Silas goes through Gaius's books, trying to find anything that could help "Merlin?! He won't let go! He won't stop!" Gwen exclaims, running in. Arthur comes down from the balcony area "Gwen, what's wrong?" he asks. "What happened?" Merlin adds. "The Witchfinder's questioning Morgana again. I'm worried. She's close to breaking point." Gwen explains. "That's what he does. He breaks you down and in the end you confess whether you're guilty or not." Silas realises. "What do you mean?" Gwen asks. "Gaius was set up. Aredian planted that amulet." Merlin tells her. "But why would he do such a thing?" Gwen frowns. "Aredian is paid to catch sorcerers. Maybe he doesn't care whether someone is guilty or not. Maybe he gets confessions by lying, by planting evidence, just as long as he gets a confession, he gets his money." Silas explains. "But even if this is true, what can we do without proof?" Annalise asks. "Get some." Merlin responds, going to the door. "Merlin, be careful. If you're found in his chambers I wont be able to help you." Arthur tells him. "I'll be careful." Merlin nods.

Merlin soon comes back with a flower, the five of them beginning to search through books to try and find out what it is "This is hopeless!" Gwen exclaims. "Keep looking." Merlin tells her. "We don't even know if this flower means anything." Gwen says. "No we don't, but it's all we've got." Merlin responds. "Here. Belladonna." Silas says, motioning to his book. "'For the alleviation of ulcers, allergies, and muscular inflammation...' This is hopeless." Arthur reads out. "No, wait. Listen, 'Under certain conditions, a tincture of the flower can produce hallucinations.'" Merlin reads. "So?" Gwen asks. "Aredian's witnesses. It wasn't magic they were seeing, it was visions." Annalise explains with a scoff. "It makes sense, if he's faking the evidence. But how can we prove it?" Gwen asks. "No, Aredian's too clever to have given the tincture to them directly. The witnesses, they must've got it from someone else." Arthur shakes his head. "They could've been getting it from anyone." Gwen tells them. "Is there anything, anything at all that these people had in common?" Merlin asks. "They were all women?" Gwen suggests. "No, that doesn't tell us anything." Merlin tells her. "Yes, it does. What's the one thing only women would buy? Things to make them look beautiful." Annalise says. "You three go to the apothecary, Arthur try and find a way to delay the execution, I'll stay here and try and find some more evidence." Silas says.

Soon Gwen, Merlin and Annalise return "Did you find it?" Silas asks. "Yeah, it's in eyedrops. Aredian threatened the apothecary." Merlin explains, showing Silas the tincture. "That's it. We've got everything we need." Annalise says. "But is it enough?" Gwen asks. "We've got a witness as well. Surely that's enough?" Merlin tells her. "It's still just our word against Aredian's!" Gwen says. "Gwen, we don't have a choice! By dawn tomorrow Gaius will be dead." Merlin retorts. "Merlin, we've only got one chance at this. We've got to give Uther something he cannot deny. Something not even Aredian can talk his way out of." Silas tells him. "I'll be as quick as I can." Merlin says, running out the room. "Merlin?" Annalise asks in confusion.

As dawn breaks, Merlin runs back in "Merlin! Where have you been?" Gwen asks. "It's done. Everything's in place." Merlin responds. "But it's too late! Gaius has already left the dungeons!" Annalise tells him. "Then...then we'll have to delay the execution." Merlin tells her. "How?" Gwen asks. "Arthur. I'll speak to Arthur." Silas says. "No. Leave Arthur to me." Gwen decides. They run out to the square, finding a crowd gathered round a pyre "Go." Silas tells Gwen. Nodding, Gwen starts pushing through the crowd to get to Arthur. Annalise bites her lip in worry as they watch Gaius get taken up the pyre by Aredian, the Witchfinder tying him to the stake "Wait!" Arthur says, stopping Aredian from setting the pyre of fire.

Everyone gathers in the throne room so Merlin can give the evidence against Aredian "Sire, the witnesses saw nothing but hallucinations induced by the Belladonna in these eye drops." Merlin explains, passing Uther the eyedrops to look at. "And you bought this Belladonna from this man?" Uther asks the women, motioning to the apothecary. The witnesses all nod "Where did you get it from? Don't be afraid, no harm will come to you here." Uther tells the man. "The Witchfinder. He gave them to me." the apothecary explains. "Did he tell you what it was for?" Uther asks. "No. Only that if I did not sell it, he'd have me burnt at the stake." the apothecary responds. "How do you answer to these accusations?" Uther asks Aredian. "They're absurd. The boy has clearly concocted these lies in the hope of saving his master." Aredian responds. "Then you won't mind if we search your chamber, will you?" Merlin asks. "Silence! You have no authority here!" Uther tells Merlin. "Father...let's settle this once and for all. If what Merlin says is wrong, he must bear the consequences. But if there is some truth in what he says..." Arthur starts, walking forward. "I have nothing to hide." Aredian tells them.

Aredian, Merlin, Silas, Arthur, Uther, and Morgana watch the guards search Aredian's room "You're wasting your time." Aredian tells them. Merlin subtly motions at the cupboard, Arthur nodding subtly "The cupboard over there." he tells the guards. A guard opens it making dozens of amulets drop out, a stash of Belladonna tincture inside "These things don't belong to me! This is a trick! That boy plots against me!" Aredian says, coughing before spitting a toad out. "Sorcerer!" Uther exclaims. Aredian grabs a dagger and Morgana "Aredian, think carefully about what you're doing. You will never escape from Camelot alive." Uther tells him. "I will if you value the life of your ward. Hmm?" Aredian asks. "Forbærnan." Silas whispers, the handle of the dagger heating. Aredian drops it and frees Morgana, Silas catching Morgana before she falls. The five of them watch as Aredian trips backwards and falls out the window "Are you alright?" Silas asks Morgana. "Yes, I'm alright." she nods.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

587K 20.6K 128
"For both sides of the coin to reveal their full potential, a light must shine upon them." ------ [Merlin - Season 1+] [Arthur Pendragon x OC]
7.3K 174 16
Ember Elrod, Arthur Pendragon's best friend since childhood. After a devastating fire burns her family home to the ground, killing both her mother an...
19.7K 399 20
Arthur Pendragon wasn't always a prat, he was a kind, loving, fun Prince, but something happened that changed him into a, what would Merlin call him...
843 38 6
๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ young princess of a long forgotten kingdom sets off in search of answers after finding an old Prophecy. Arthur Pendragon x OC Merlin BBC Sea...