the view between villages...

By liminal_faces

Armed with nothing but a GED and a small sum of inheritance money, you move to Hawkins, Indiana in March 1985... More

Author's Note
PART ONE: GOOD BONES
PAGE 1: Start Here
PAGE 2: Go with Steve, Dustin, and Robin
PAGE 3: Escape with Dustin and Erica through the vents
PAGE 4: Get caught with Steve and Robin
PAGE 5: Stay in the theater
PAGE 6: Go with Dustin
PAGE 8: Fight back
PAGE 9: Tell the General the truth. Again.
PAGE 10: Do not go with them.
PAGE 11: Run
PAGE 12: Help him
PAGE 13: Try and find Steve
PAGE 14: Investigate the hospital murders
PAGE 15: Go to the Fun Fair
PAGE 16: Go to the 'Back to the Future' Screener
PAGE 17: Chain yourself up
PAGE 18: Search for Steve to help you
PAGE 19
PART TWO: HAUNTED
PAGE 20: Start here for Part 2
PAGE 21: I feel great!
PAGE 22: Listen to Steve and go home
PAGE 23: Go along with them
PAGE 24: (Gently) push Steve aside and remove the tarp
PAGE 25: Let Steve continue playing whack-a-mole
PAGE 26: After the boathouse
PAGE 27: Go with Robin and Nancy to the library
PAGE 28: Go with Steve, Max, and Dustin to Ms. Kelley's
PAGE 29: Max is cursed
PAGE 30: Agree to go
PAGE 31: Don't let her go
PAGE 32: After saving Max
PAGE 33: Bats with Dustin and Eddie
PAGE 34: Creel House with Max and Erica
PAGE 35: Sing to Max
PAGE 36: Rush at Jason
PAGE 37: Vecna with Nancy and Steve
PAGE 38: Hawkins' New Normal
PAGE 39: The Three Gates
PAGE 40: Waiting Room
PAGE 41: I feel...bad.
PAGE 42: Confront the bastard
PAGE 43: Run away
PAGE 44: After your odd nightmares
PAGE 45: Listen to Steve and go home to rest
PAGE 46: Go along with them anyway
PAGE 47: Push Steve aside and remove the tarp
PAGE 48: Let Steve continue hitting the tarp with his oar
PAGE 49: After talking to Eddie in the boathouse
PAGE 50: Go with Robin and Nancy
PAGE 51: Go with Steve, Max, and Dustin
PAGE 52: You are cursed
PAGE 53: Try and fight him
PAGE 54: Run like hell
PAGE 55: After you get saved
PAGE 56: Stick to the plan
PAGE 57: Screw the plan
PAGE 58: Decimate the plan
PAGE 59: Hawkinspocalypse
PAGE 60: A HAPPY-ISH END

PAGE 7

37 2 13
By liminal_faces

Introductions are made, tiny demons are expelled from disgusting leg wounds, and parents are reunited with children. Dustin's friends have spent the past few days fighting something called the Mind Flayer, a disgusting creature from another dimension. You don't fully understand what's happening, but you try to keep up when a plan is formed to end the shitshow in Hawkins once and for all.

It's too dangerous for any of the kids, teens, or young adults to go back into the Russian base. You and the others that spent the past few days in that shithole are driving to Dustin's Cerebro radio to communicate with Murray, Joyce, and Hopper when they go to the bunker underground.

Chief Jim Hopper tosses Steve the keys to a Cadillac convertible he "borrowed," and you swiftly snatch the keys out of his hands.

"You might have a concussion," you remind him. "I'm driving."

When you see the car in question, you grin, having made the right choice. The car is awesome. Way nicer than anything you could afford for yourself. You're going to enjoy this.

"'Todd-father'?" Robin says with a snort, reading the license plate.

"Oh, screw Todd," you say, hopping into the driver's seat and patting the steering wheel lovingly. "I'm her daddy now."

"Did you just call yourself 'daddy'?" Erica scoffs.

You ignore her, asking Dustin for directions to a place called Weathertop.

"Suzie must be pretty special, huh?" Robin asks, referring to the girlfriend Dustin built his radio for. "I mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?"

"Nobody's scientifically perfect," Dustin says, "but Suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be."

"She sounds made-up to me," Erica says. She leans forward to where Steve sits next to you, in the passenger seat. "She sound made-up to you?"

"Why are you hesitating, Steve?!" Dustin snaps, after about 0.5 seconds.

"I'm not!" Steve protests. "I'm not! I think she sounds real. You know, totally, absolutely real."

"Left!" Dustin shouts. You don't realize he's talking to you at first. "Turn left."

"There's no road here!" you say.

"TURN LEFT NOW!"

You gun it and make a hard left, smashing through a fence and scratching the beautiful Cadillac's paint. You struggle to drive up the heel due to the incline, but you follow Dustin's instructions. The car stops short of the top of the hill, wheels spinning in the dirt.

"Looks like we're walking the rest of the way," you say, cutting the engine.

When you make it to the top of the hill, Dustin communicates with Murray on Cerebro, giving him instructions on how to navigate (and annoying the man to no end).

At the edge of the hill, Steve notices the mall lights flickering in the distance.

"Flickering lights is bad," he explains to you, fear in his eyes. "Really, really bad."

Dustin changes radio frequencies, and you all discover that the Mind Flayer monster is at the mall right now. You hear his shrieking, and you can't get a response from your friends.

Steve begins sprinting down toward the Todfthr.

"Where are you going?!" Erica asks.

"To get them the hell out of there!" Steve says. "Waldenbooks! You driving me or what?"

You nod and race after him.

Robin follows, and Dustin and Erica stay behind to get a hold of the older adults on the radio.

You reverse the Cadillac back down the hill, cursing the whole way.

"We'll get there in time," Robin says from the backseat, squeezing Steve's shoulder. "We will!"

He doesn't respond, knee bouncing rapidly as you gun it through the quiet streets, engine revving. You really, really hope a cop doesn't pull you over tonight. Not when there are lives to be saved.

When you drive back to the mall's parking lot, Steve curses.

"Billy's going to kill them!" he shouts, pointing to a blue Camaro careening toward Nancy Wheeler.

"How can we stop him?!" Robin asks.

"I have an idea," you say. "But it's terrible. Hold onto something!"

You slam on the gas, racing toward Billy's car.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Robin screams. "Can we do something else?!?!"

You get closer and closer and closer, and then—

Crash! You hit the side of Billy's car, sending it careening to the side.

You slam on the brakes and breathe heavily, watching as the hood of Billy's Camaro erupts into flames.

"You guys okay?" you croak out, turning to Steve in the passenger seat. He looks back at you with wide eyes, equally scared out of his wits and impressed at your quick thinking.

"Ask me tomorrow?" Robin offers.

Roooooooar! You three look up and see the Mind Flayer on the roof of the mall. It snarls down at you, and you wince.

Jonathan Byers parks the station wagon next to you three, and Nancy calls for you to climb in the back. You three squeeze in and slam the door shut.

You glance through the back windshield at the on-fire Camaro and shudder. Billy Hargrove being possessed by an evil force honestly doesn't surprise you.

The Mind Flayer chases you all through the streets. You, Steve, and Robin get knocked around in the far backseat while Jonathan navigates further from the mall.

Dustin serenades his girlfriend Suzie over the walkie-talkie, and your getaway car hears it all. She rattles off Planck's constant so Hopper and Joyce can open a safe in the underground bunker.

"It's turning around!" Steve shouts after a few minutes.

Sure enough, the Mind Flayer has abandoned his hunt and heads back in the direction of the mall. You half expect Jonathan to keep driving away, but he does a U-turn and guns it back in the direction of the mall, to where their other friends are still trapped.

The others have a plan: they want to kill the monster with fireworks while the adults blow up the underground laser.

You drive back to the mall and carry the fireworks in, divvying them into three groups: one stockpile for Nancy and Jonathan, one for Lucas and Will, and one for you, Steve, and Robin.

"Look!" Lucas hisses as you all arrive at the second-floor atrium with your firepower. "He's got El!"

Sure enough, the flayed Billy has dropped El right in front of the fleshy Mind Flayer beast.

"Into positions!" Nancy whispers. "Let's end this!"

The groups split up, and Lucas takes the first shot. A firecracker sails directly into the Mind Flayer, causing it to stumble.

You all take turns throwing fireworks, watching the colorful sparks ricochet off the monster's body and all around the mall.

"Hey, asshole!" Steve shouts. "Over here!"

He tosses another one, causing the Flayer to hit one of the pillars. Billy seems affected by the fireworks as well, stumbling on his feet—but he still drags El closer to the monster.

You rear your arm back, pitching fireworks like fastballs. It's going well, until your stash of explosives thins out significantly.

"Dustin!" Steve yells into his walkie-talkie. "We're out of time!"

You all use up the last of your fireworks. The Mind Flayer rights itself and reaches a tentacle toward El—and Billy stops it.

You gasp as Billy gets hit with a multitude of fleshy, disgusting tentacles. The Mind Flayer tears into him like he's nothing. You screw your eyes shut; the sight is too horrible.

You hear his sister Max scream. The sounds, the smells—it's overwhelming you. You think you might be sick. You think you might pass out.

You sink to your knees and cover your face in your hands. You hear Steve call your name. It sounds like he's a million miles away.

Max's crying is too familiar. It's the same way you cried when the fire chief came by your apartment and told you that your dad was gone. Gone forever. Here one minute, gone the next. Burned to a crisp like the corpse of the Mind Flayer, which slumps on the floor by the pillar nearest you, Steve, and Robin.

You think you're going into shock. You do not remember walking down to the first level of the mall. You do not remember when the ambulances arrived. You do not remember being led to the parking lot, being given a shock blanket, being checked by paramedics.

You do remember them asking you if you have anyone you can call.

"No," you croak. "I'm alone."

Even when you're given the all-clear, they ask you to stick around for a few minutes to make sure you don't faint. You sit and stare at your feet, thinking about nothing. Trying to think about nothing, and not the horrible things you've experienced.

Steve wanders over at some point, wearing his shock blanket like a cape.

"Hey," he says. He gestures to the spot next to you. "Can I sit?"

You nod. You're numb. Everything is numb. You don't think you have the wherewithal to speak. You try not to think, but you can't stop thinking about your father. You can't stop thinking about death.

Steve must sense your anguish. He doesn't try to talk to you. He just sits with you and gingerly holds your hand. You wonder if he's touching you to make sure you're still real.

You lean your head on his shoulder to make sure he's still real. You watch ash swirl into the sky, spinning like flurries of snow.

It's haunting.

It's almost beautiful.

GO TO PAGE 19.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 42.4K 71
"The way he looks at her. Like she's the most important thing in the world to him." "I think she is." Experiment X - that's was she was known as. A d...
31.3K 589 31
You join a new school and meet new people but your past also seems to follow you as you meet the wonderful Steve Harrington. Your life spills out as...
625 10 36
When Reese moved to Hawkins, Indiana, she thought it was going to be like any other small town. Quiet, calm, and collected. Little did she know she w...
59K 1.6K 28
❝ 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐦𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐬. ❞ 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐚𝐠𝐞...