Love Happens

By sunrays20

On a lavishly decorated altar that exuded opulence, two people took their wedding vows. One, adorned in a red... More

Plot
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty one
Chapter thirty two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter thirty six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter fourty
Author's note and Chapter forty-one (end of book one)
Book 2, chapter 1 and Author's note
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13 (Last Chapter)
Announcement
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2
Announcement
Second book

Chapter twenty-six

2.1K 92 8
By sunrays20

Anand went to the door to check who it was while Shraddha entered the bathroom. He opened the door and was welcomed by the Inspector's sight. He tried to peep inside the room however, Anand stretched his hands sideways and asked what sort of behavior that was from his side.

"A complaint was lodged against you that you kidnapped a woman. Where is she?"

Anand first rolled his eyes because he was certain he didn't resemble a kidnapper in any way. He then sighed at the management's audacity in taking him seriously when he told them to call the police.

"She's....." he paused as the inspector drew his ears while listening to him. His mind ran a marathon in thinking about who Shraddha was to him.

"My children's mother." That was the nearest answer he found.

"Did you have children out of wedlock?" The inspector asked for clarification since that alone had a penalty on its own in their village. After all, it is prohibited.

"Where were you when our wedding was all over every newspaper and social media?"

"Sir, I wish to speak to Ma'am. If she clears your name, I'll leave. Her statement matters more than what we see in the news."

Anand buckled himself on the door and refused to move. Inside the bathroom, Shraddha sensed something being wrong. The impatient knocking, then Anand remaining silent for a long time. She draped back her wet saree and dashed out. She could see him talking with someone, but as the man was short or was Anand just very tall, she couldn't see the person he was speaking to.

"Anandji?" she voiced.

A sense of envy conveyed his heart as he thought she came out in her towel. Why would she be like that in front of another man who wasn't him? His face was replenished with anger. He didn't even want to turn.

"Who is at the door?"

"It's me the Inspector, Ma'am." The man answered taking Anand in a full look and then went past him inside.

Shraddha looked at the aged man who was bedecked in uniform. She extended a half smile enquiring why he was there.

Anand spun with anger garnishing his heart, but after he saw she was dressed decently, it vanished away in a snap.

The Inspector surveyed her from head to toe. She was looking responsible. "A complaint was lodged against the man. It said he kidnapped you. Is it true?"

She frowned at the charge. "Who said that? Anand, didn't you tell him who we are to each other?"

"He did. He said you are his children's mother."

Her eyes traveled to him instantly. "Why didn't you tell him we're husband and wife?"

"I did. I told him our wedding was all over the newspapers. The man is adamant about hearing it from your side."

"Sir, he's my husband."

"Do you have your marriage certificate with you? I have to confirm. I'm sorry, but he looks more like your Uncle rather than your husband. I hope you're not in an illicit relationship. He's way older than you. I know girls nowadays that follow men like him for money. I hope you're not one of them."

"He's my husband. We're here to visit my mother. Why will we carry a certificate along?" As she was answering him, Anand took out his phone from his lonely pocket to search for their wedding picture so that the Inspector will leave them alone. He was getting on his nerves by publicly and indirectly telling him he wasn't good enough for her. One thing he was certain of about himself was his age may be high, but his mind was still young and it thinks quicker than an adult. He saw five missed calls from his mother on the phone. It was on silent, so he didn't hear it ring. However, putting it back on speaker mode and ignoring the missed calls, he visited the internet to search for his wedding photos. Immediately, pictures of it flooded the screen. He never found the chance to even watch the pictures to date. Back to the point, he tilted the phone towards the inspector and called his attention.

"For your satisfaction, this is proof that we're husband and wife."

The Inspector glanced at the picture with an unsatisfied look plastered on his face.

"Oh, so you are Mr Kapoor's son? The son of a dishonest man?"

As Anand was about to retaliate, Shraddha replied.

"This shouldn't be coming from you Inspector. The man you're talking about is my father-in-law. If your misconception is cleared, please leave us. We're married."

"Correct. All family members must be the same." he said and left.

An incoming call came through on Anand's phone. He seized the screen in his view.

"Who is it?" Shraddha enquired with curiosity hoping it was from Poonam because she desperately wanted to speak to her and explain she never wanted her to leave.

"Poonam's hidden shadow."

"What do you mean?"

"He's the man that keeps tabs on whatever she does. What she eats, where she goes, who visits her, and how she behaves. He tells me everything. And he'll protect her whenever she gets herself into trouble."

"Why? Don't you think you're invading her privacy? How will she feel when she finds out about it? That you don't trust her one bit to be on her own?"

"So far, his reports about her haven't been good. I think I made the right choice by appointing him. She's been getting worst day after day. I just hope she will get tired soon and change her habits before becoming an adult. If not...." his voice wavered with hesitation as he exclaimed. "My relationship with her will suffer a big hole."

"Because of me." Shraddha replied as a sense of guilt hit her. After all, it was because of her she did all she did.

"How are you at fault? Don't think it started with you. My father ruined her childhood. He spoilt her way too much. I blame Supriya and me because we could have stopped him, but didn't because she was the first grandchild. It was from there she adopted the idea that everything must go her way. This was why when she couldn't make you leave, she decided death will be the best way to get rid of you. I'm ashamed of myself." his face showcased all aspects of his regret.

"Believe me I don't mind it. She's a child. She is growing up without a mother. Things are difficult for her. There was no one around to correct her. I didn't mind she tried to kill me. Her attempt failed and I'm alive now, aren't I? I've forgotten and forgiven her. Bring her back. Even Riddhima misses her tremendously. She asked me to ask you to bring her sister back."

Anand visualized the innocence in her eyes. She wasn't understanding the seriousness of the situation. Without giving her an answer as he made up his mind after much difficulty that Poonam won't return to India until she's done with schooling, he answered the man's call, putting it on speaker so that she could hear what she was up to there.

"Hello Sir!" the man's voice was rich with Hindi yet still had a touch of British English attached to it.

"Report." Anand said while staring at Shraddha intently.

"School will resume next week. Today as usual, she received a white bouquet from an unidentified sender. I think it's one of your family members, particularly your father that's why he doesn't include notes."

He nodded as it made sense. Who else if not his father will do that to her?

"She went out for brunch with her roommate. She bought a lot of food and went to the street where beggars go to beg for alms. Right in front of them, she threw the food into the bin and left. As we speak, she is in the hostel. The go out hour is over so she can't come out until tomorrow."

Shraddha coated her face with her palms. She heard the call getting disconnected, and Anand's angry voice following after.

"At least today she was nice. We'll assume she gave charity. Do you know what she did yesterday? Yesterday, she slapped a cleaner and burnt her apron, and mocked her because she could only afford one. The man said the cleaner was Mother's age." he yelled.

"The Aunty must have triggered her." she replied while feeling embarrassed herself because it was also wrong in her eyes. However, she wanted to make their relationship as it was before. Strong, and beautiful with love. "Don't jump to conclusions. I'm sure the Aunty did...."

"Whatever she did Shraddha, she was my mother's age. It means one day, she can also slap my mother when she makes her angry."

Shraddha shakes her head in denial.

"And for your information, the only thing the woman did was drop her phone mistakenly while she was cleaning which made it suffer a slight crack. That was all she did."

"Maybe the phone means so much to her. You never know. It could....."

"Stop it Shraddha."

She jumped slightly at the valor in his voice.

"I'm sorry, but a good mother doesn't turn a blind eye to her child's every bad act."

"Just bring her back Anand." she whispered, looking into his face. He shifted his gaze before he melted at that innocent look. There was no way he will bring her back.

"I told Riddhima the same thing. I knew you won't listen to me. But at least, bring her back for her sake. She miss her sister a lot. Why are you punishing her by separating them when they've grown very attached?"

His mind transits to Riddhima, his beautiful daughter who is calmer than the moon, and to what Shraddha told him about her being scared to speak her mind to him. He was saddened she was hesitating to ask him for anything. She was his treasure and he was very proud of her. There was no need for them to hide things from each other. He asserted to confront her once he gets home and explain why her sister must stay away from her for the meantime. 

The rain ceased. Shraddha's clothes dried on her and Anand stripped into his. They exited the room and sauntered to the receptionist. Anand paid the bills although the receptionist refused to accept the amount as a form of apology for her misunderstanding to them. Anand didn't give her any room. He took the machine and inserted his card. Typed the amount he saw fit because she didn't tell him how much their stay was and then after the bank debited him, he took his card and went away. Anyway, he paid the amount he pays when he stays a night in a five-star hotel.

••••

The plane landed in Delhi and they reserved themselves in one of the taxis. As the car began to move, Shraddha admired the beautiful city. It had no much difference with Mumbai. There was so much scenery, beautiful roads without potholes, street lights, bridges, and people driving in a hurry to reach their destination. Even the taxi they were in was overspeeding. Unlike her village Ladnun where one must drive at an average speed because of people crossing the roads.

"We've arrived, Sir!"

A beepless message opened on his screen from his mother. He was checking his schedules for tomorrow when the message opened. It said, "I know you've seen my missed calls yet you didn't return them. Don't do what you're about to do. Not today. I know you're keen on finding Riya to learn more about Supriya's death. Don't please. Your father is out there looking for both of you. Don't make him do something we all will regret later." he wouldn't have read the text if it didn't open. And just like he wasn't planning to read it, he assumed he never read it, discarding everything from his mind. And also to avoid unnecessary disturbance, he switched off the phone. He was prepared for whatever was going to come his way. He wanted to know who killed Supriya. And why?

"Let's go Shraddha."

They dismounted from the car. Anand tipped the driver. The car left while he spun at the small house which had faded paint.
Two cars racing with each other pulled over with a jerk behind them. The unsudden sound cracked Shraddha as she quickly turned to have a look at who they were.

Ranbir hauled out of one of the cars and the other, it turned out it was Anand's father inside.

"Look what you're making me do today out of all days when it is my swearing ceremony. No one will speak to Riya." Anand's father quibbled while walking towards the house more in a command for both of them. "Her house will be under surveillance until further notice and once I come out, we're returning to Mumbai together." he dashed inside. Soon after, his security bodyguards cladded in black suits that had unhappy looks took positions outside the house.

"What will we do now? Why is Father here?" Shraddha enquired.

"He knows something about Supriya's death. It is most likely him that erased parts of that letter. I was aware he and Ranbir will be stalking us. This isn't Riya's real address."

"But why?" he questioned himself as to what his father is hiding regarding his wife's death. For Ranbir, it was understandable. He wants to know the truth about his daughter's real father. But for his father? What explanation does he have for coming there?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 139K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
2.6M 120K 84
The story is of two individuals Siddharth Khanna and Anusha Singh. Both were gems to their parents, both spoiled, both stubborn, friends adored them...
996K 71.8K 72
𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸 2-𝗥𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗦𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀 She became his life the moment he saw her, VIE meaning LIFE in french. What happens when she dis...
85.1K 3.4K 37
Sequel to Halcyon "Kismat se humein aap humdum mil gaye, Jaise ke dua ko alfaaz mil gaye. Socha jo nhi vo haasil ho gaya, Chahun aur kya ke khuda de...