One More Step Out of the Pit

Av Icarus_Ash1

made by AdrianaintheSnow on ao3 It had been Tommy and Tubbo for practically forever. They clawed their way ou... Mer

Chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26

Chapter 1

178 5 0
Av Icarus_Ash1

"I," Whippoorwill said, nose dripping blood onto the cement floor. Tommy wondered if his shoe was bloody now or if it had taken a second for the blood to well up after the kick to the face he'd just delivered the man. There had been stunned silence for a few moments after Tommy had used Whippoorwill's face as a springboard. Whippoorwill was apparently still so shocked by Tommy's very pog move that he'd forgotten to try to use his powers on Tommy, "am going to skin you alive and feed you to my dog."

"Quite the threat there, Bitch Boy," Tommy taunted. "You'll have to catch me first."

Whippoorwill's eyes narrowed behind his mask. "That can be arran-"

"You don't have a dog," another voice interrupted.

"Shut up," Whippoorwill said as Tommy let out a cackle.

"You don't," The Blade said. Tommy glanced at the imposing figure of the man casually strolling up to stand beside his ally and immediately grew suspicious. There had been three of them only a couple of seconds ago, Tommy was sure. Where was Philza and why were they acting so... casual all of a sudden? Tommy looked up, scanning the room.

Whippoorwill seemed to notice. "Why don't you come down from there," he cooed in a sing-song tone. Tommy winced at the sharp edge to his voice, unsure for a moment what it was meant to do before the support beam he'd been standing on suddenly snapped. He jumped up as it started to plummet towards the ground tilting his body so he could plant his feet briefly on the wall and shove off of it like a swimmer shoving off the side of a pool. He went zooming past their heads before spreading out his arms to make his slow fall more precise. His feet touched down softly on top of a table.

"You probably should have made something fall on top of him instead of out from under him," The Blade drawled.

"Maybe you should stop with the criticism and try to stab the bastard," Whippoorwill snapped, but Tommy was filtering out their bickering at this point, having figured out what it was: a distraction. He'd caught just a flash of green when he'd been falling and turned his attention in that direction. He jumped and spring boarded off a nearby pillar to propel himself towards the wall, hand catching a pipe in the ceiling so he could swing and make it through a gap about a foot wide between the top of the wall and the ceiling.

"Shit!" Whippoorwill's voice echoed dangerously after him, but he was too slow and Tommy went careening into Philza, taking them both to the ground, the man's wings unable to stop it. Knowing he did not want to engage in close combat with Philza of all people, Tommy began to move the second they hit the ground, rolling off of him and jumping as high as he could to grab the thing Philza had been reaching for a moment before. He let himself fall fast, ducking and rolling as he hit the ground and landing crouched.

"Guessing this is what you guys were here for," he said cheerfully. "Don't know what it is, but I'm going to have to say no."

Philza was already on his feet, wings flared impressively and Whippoorwill had screeched a hole through the wall Tommy had hopped over for him and The Blade.

"Well anyway," Tommy said, backing up a step. "I think it's time for me to go."

"Mate," Philza said in a reasonable tone which Tommy knew was actually a threat. "Exactly where are you expecting to go?"

"Let me guess," Tommy said, wryly. "Hand it over and you won't let Whippoorwill feed me to his imaginary pet dog."

Philza made a face and Tommy shoved the little glowing orb in his pocket for safe keeping. He smirked just a bit, already having an escape route in mind. Philza in many ways had an advantage over Tommy. He was bigger, stronger, and had wings that could let him actually fly instead of just fall with style.

These things could also be disadvantages. Philza watched him, as he backed up to the wall, large, imposing, and backed by his allies. Tommy flipped open the just big enough for him to fit down it trash shoot and quickly hopped in feet first. He laughed at the sounds of surprise and anger as he zoomed away. Good luck following when none of them could fit and even if they could, none of them had a way to slow their decent in the tight space before they hit the garbage at the bottom.

Tommy was home free.

~

Well... not quite home free.

"You let them get away?" his supervisor raged back at headquarters. Tommy tried not to cower because he was a big man, a big strong superhero, and he'd just stopped some dastardly plot by a group of three powerful supervillains all on his own. But... well... he was... not afraid, definitely not afraid of his supervisor and mentor, that would be silly, but he was healthily cautious around the man. He really, really, really did not want another round of personal training sessions with him. "This is the fourth time!"

It was more than the fourth time really. He'd had many more brief run-ins with the SBI all together, in pairs, and individually, but he tried to keep that fact off the radar as much as possible. However, this had been an official mission Dream had sent him on, so there was no way to get Puffy to pretend like it didn't happen for him.

"I'm sorry," Tommy said as quiet as he could. Tommy was not often quiet, but Dream did not like it when he was loud. "I prioritized stopping whatever they were doing instead of capturing them. It was a mistake." It was not a mistake, Tommy knew. If he ever had engaged with even one of them head-to-head, he'd surely be dead or worse by now. Discounting that one fluke where The Blade had decided to not slit Tommy's throat for some unknown reason. Tommy was sitting here today out of a mixture of quick wits, stubbornness, and luck.

"Yes, it was," Dream said coolly. "You failed your job."

You couldn't beat one of them let alone three of them. Tommy thought angrily, but he was not stupid enough to say it... again. Dream had once lost a one-on-one duel to The Blade. He... did not like being reminded of it. Instead, Tommy looked at the ground. "I'll try harder," he promised.

"See that you do," Dream said. "You're not getting paid for tonight."

Tommy swallowed his protests. That was... not ideal. Tommy was already living paycheck to paycheck without a night's work being docked. Yet, it was better than the alternative both physically and financially. Being tossed back into training meant not only getting half pay for however long the man decided he needed more training, but also would require medical supplies in the aftermath that Tommy simply did not have in stock. A missed paycheck meant having to ration food a bit harder, but it was still better than the alternative.

"Sorry," Tommy said again.

"You should be. Now go."

Tommy did not have to be told twice. He got up quickly and left Dream's office as fast as he could.

It was past time for Tommy to go home by this point. Dream had kept him waiting for about 2 hours before finally calling him in to talk. He was supposed to get off at 10pm, but it was almost 1am now. Tommy was exhausted, but he still had quite the walk home.

He grabbed his bag from his desk and tossed it over his shoulder, trudging out of the building and waving at the members of the night crew he recognized.

The night was chillier than he'd been expecting, and he flipped up his hood, curling his arms around himself as he walked. He didn't like walking home so late. Usually at 10 there were still some people around, but the roads were practically deserted at this time of night. He hoped he didn't get mugged. Not that they could probably actually mug him considering he was a trained superhero, but it would still suck if someone tried.

Of course, just as he had the thought, he stumbled across a pool of dark liquid on the sidewalk. It was hard to make out exactly what it was since it was between streetlights, but it certainly looked liked blood splatters. He groaned to himself, but he couldn't not check it out. There was a trail of the liquid that went past some buildings. Tommy lightened his footsteps until he was practically not touching the ground. He was surprised when he stepped into a little green area surrounded on all sides by large apartment buildings. Weird. Luckily, the area was lit up with some sort of softly glowing stones and the 'blood trail' ended up stopping under one of them. Except in the light, it clearly was not a blood trail. It was dark blue, not red, like maybe someone had spilled some ink. Well, that was a waste of time.

Yet, as he turned to exit the strange little alleyway, he caught sight of a sign. 'Community Garden,' it read, 'Take what you need.'

Tommy paused. Oh, this was very illegal, he thought, as peered around him at what after a moment of observation was obviously rows of vegetables. An uncontrolled food source? Whoever had planted this could face so much jail time and that was before accounting for however they had gotten the seeds. By all rights as a superhero, Tommy should call this in immediately.

On the other hand... Tommy carefully picked his way through the garden. It was pretty even in the dark. Tubbo would love this. He picked a couple of vegetables, only enough that could fit in his bag without being squished and left the rest. He felt... a little guilty even though it was an illegal garden and had literally said he could take what he needed on the sign. Still, he continued his trek home feeling a little lighter despite the illegal weight in his bag.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

5.5K 387 8
Tubbo and Ranboo have very different thoughts on whether Michael should go into the life of crime. Not that is parents actions are leaving any good r...
330K 9.9K 26
"Why?" Tommy sobbed, fingers clinging to the fabric of Philza's suit. Fat globs of tears fell down his cheeks and dripped onto his neck as he was for...
3K 182 23
After being exiled for so long, after being stuck in prison for a very long time; Tommy and Dream had one difference in each other. One wants to be t...
372 24 8
A message has been sent to the inhabitants of the Dream SMP and everyone gets sad when they get to know, that Ranboo will die in 3 days time. Tommy w...