Something Blue - ZekeTina

By romanticnhopeless

*Formerly titled "Now & Then" The Belcher family is all under one roof again for an entire summer. Fresh out... More

Introduction
Ocean Avenue
Creature Comforts
Order For One
Farmers Market

The Spins

17 0 0
By romanticnhopeless

When they'd gotten home that Saturday the Belcher children had all quietly retreated to their rooms leaving their mother bewildered but it was Bob who had been unexpectedly surprised. Linda shifted around the totes of groceries on the counter into their respective spots around the kitchen. Green cabinets opened and shut, the rhythmic thuds and clangs a background for his thoughts. A hand landed atop his head and he felt a caress before glancing up to see his wife's frown "What's got you all pouty like a pug." ...

There was a loud thud coming from the ceiling and Tina rolled over trying to drown out the ruckus but it was pointless as Linda barged in not even waiting a minute more after knocking. Patting the bundle of blankets she greeted her daughter before opening the curtains.

Lifting the covers over her head Tina hid expecting the blinding morning sunlight but instead a cloudy blue hue covered the bedroom "Mom it's eight am on a Friday why-" she protested while Linda stood over her with a doting smile "ACs broken hun so Teddy's going to be stopping around all day and you know how your dad gets." she gestured then going back to crack the window open "Luckily todays on the cooler side, some pretty clouds we've got but it better not storm." Linda commented more so to herself than to her half alseep daughter behind her.

Tina felt the crisp morning breeze brush past her as she sat up "I'll be down to help soon." she shuffled up to grab her robe but Linda shook her head "No need hun." she gestured between them excitedly "We're picking up the new dishwasher your father scored last week!" she clapped and Tina could already feel a headache incoming. Reaching for the glass of water at her bedside she took a long gulp before surfacing for some air and by then her mother had already made her way back to the kitchen. Making a note to thank her mother Tina cleaned up the bowl of fruit and cup of coffee that had been left atop the dresser.

When she was just about ready Louise had passed by with a message from their mother who was not so patiently waiting downstairs. Tina pulled down the windbreaker over the graphic t-shirt, the whale at the center had become faded but she refused to get rid of it.

Sitting at the edge of the bed she put on some comfy crew socks and slipped into the dark brown uggs. Truthfully she'd only brought them to lounge at home but she still gave herself a pat on the back for packing them. Then again she was wearing the last pair of clean leggings she had, luckily laundry day was tomorrow.

Grabbing her tote bag Tina rushed downstairs holding the car keys out "I'll drive." she offered with a smile, her face was still flushed and Linda could all but laugh "Yes hun." she agreed as they waved goodbye to Bob and Louise still inside the restaurant bickering over the menu board.

On the drive out to the warehouse Linda browsed a magazine she'd brought with her. As she parked Tina stole a glance over and surely enough her mother was still looking over the same two pages. While her mother talked up the old couple Tina leaned against the car taking a deep breath. She secretly hoped it would rain today, she liked gloomy days at home. Back in New York rainy days were hardly a call to stay home or to partake in ant of the comforts she'd grown up with.

It had been a while since she'd taken to this pace of life. It made her nostalgic. Still she wondered how everyone back home was up to, were her old college roommates already moving into their new apartments? Was Duncan still headstrong on not visiting his parents this summer? For a split second they had been something. A fling really. They'd ended up attending the same University and through coincidence ended up at a friends house party. That had been her sophomore year. Tina shook her head at the resurgence of those memories, what would her childhood friends think about her and Duncan?

Hearing her mother's voice Tina pushed the though aside, it wasn't an issue really that rollercoaster had ended months ago. Loading the frier into the back of the car they simultaneously shut the back doors and took a moment to catch their breaths. Popping back into their seats Tina turned the key while her mother sifted through her purse "You know..." she began before finding what she'd been rummaging for "There's this gorgeous shop just a few blocks away and we're not due to be home till noon." she beamed one of those smiles that easily made even her doubtful father agree to anything.

Usually Tina loved spending time with her mother although Gene was the one who preferred the shopping trips and not that she cared but could she really enter some trendy boutique dressed like this? Letting go of the steering wheel she took a look at the page Linda had opened to "See hun, this is exactly what you should wear at the block party!" she encouraged her with pat on the cheek "My beautiful Teeny Tina." she added dotingly causing her eldest daughter to let out a defeated sigh "It does look nice and I didn't pack all that much for parties." Tina reasoned more to herself than to her mother.

Clapping Linda motioned for her to drive off. Following her mother's instructions they made it through the rather short drive parking just a few spots away from the shop. Gazing up Tina spotted the source of the creaking sound. A wooden sign flitted back and forth as the wind picked up "Oh Seaside Shop, what a cute little place!" her mother exclaimed already giddy as she opened the door.

Tracing her steps Tina kept her gaze glued on her mother casually glancing at every other piece of clothing she'd point out. It wasn't long before a small pile had already accumulated in Linda's arms, her red rimmed glasses a pop amidst all the pale pastels "How about this one?" she held up an off-white and baby blue patterned dress up against her daughter's frame. Eyeing it Tina then assessed her current outfit, when exactly had she last worn something so...pretty?

It wasn't as if she had disregarded fashion or her appearance but she usually kept it simple, the basics. Prom? That was probably the last time she wore a dress that wasn't business casual or extend all the way down to her shins. There was a thud at the back of the store. A box full of shoes was laid out in the middle of the aisle and someone was haphazardly on their knees scrambling to clean up.

Moving to help Tina made her way down but her arms froze hovering over a pair of white strappy sandals when a pair of hands snatched them away "You shouldn't have bothered." the girl stated and Tina caught a glimpse the pink and yellow floral sundress and pink cardigan, whoever this was they definitely did not find her presence welcoming.

Suddenly Tina felt a twang of something she hadn't experienced in years, the kind of self awareness that only a teenage girl could feel. Glancing back at her mom she let out a sigh of relief as Linda smiled still holding the dress up for her to see. Behind her the employee spoke again "That's a gorgeous pick Mrs. Belcher." the last words carried an almost sickeningly ostentatious tone that Tina could only assign to one specific person.

Remaining glued in her spot she watched as her mom approached her "Well why don't you try it on?" she ushered forcing Tina to turn and face the counter "You do have a fitting room, right?" she added now addressing the blonde behind the register.

Grasping onto the dress Tina stared back at the honey brown piercing gaze of a...well she blanked for a moment, had Tammy ever been her friend? "So many surprises." she gave them a tight lipped smile before gesturing to the hidden room in the back "Come Tina, I'll take you and we can catch up. Please look around while you wait Mrs. Belcher!" she flipped her hair over her shoulder, the golden strands flowed down to her waist now but she still wore it in a ponytail of sorts.

Straightening her back Tina shot her mom a reassuring nod "I'll be quick." she promised before following Tammy down a few racks of clothes. Once they were fairly out of earshot the blonde paused a few steps before the door " I almost didn't recognize you." she shamelessly gave Tina a once over.

Crossing her arms she did her best to keep a sensible demeanor. Of course Tina knew the comment was anything but a compliment "Maybe it's the glasses, I don't wear them as much anymore." she lightly joked thinking back to Zeke's initial reaction when they'd unexpectedly reunited. Shaking her head Tammy let out a laugh "No not that, I've seen you without them before. No..." she paused tilting her head with an assessing look, her lips pursed and pensive.

Truthfully she didn't think she'd changed that much since her teen years, at least physically. Maybe some weight gain apart from growing into certain features but she could say the same about her former hometown friends, they'd all pretty much remained somewhat similar even if a few aspects had been tweaked.

Raising her brows Tammy rested her hands on either side of her waist "You grew out your hair." she finally answered but Tina could still feel herself dangling at the edge of the plank, there had to be something else...right?

Maybe she was just being unnecessarily guarded. They were adults now, what reason did Tammy have for acting like she did back then? Then came the giggle "It suits you, that bob you had really wasn't framing you right. I mean it was just so boxy, the glasses added to it too." she nodded as if she was giving some sort of insightful advice. Tina wasn't new to this statement, she'd heard it plenty of time but now it was no longer hidden between 'helpful' advice or teasing. She could almost laugh, it wasn't as if her old friend was so aloof either but it was no use reacting. That would only egg her on.

Reaching for the handle Tina let out a short laugh "Yeah, definitely glad I outgrew all of that." she felt almost proud of herself. She'd never outwardly reacted or fought back but in those days it was evident whenever Tammy got to Tina, the subtle shifts. That wouldn't happen now, Tina would make sure of it. She knew better or rather she knew herself better.

Taking a deep breath she relaxed into the cream colored wall of the dressing room listening to the fading slap of Tammy's wedge heels. The dress ruffled as she shifted from side to side. Her stomach ached from the tumultuous emotions, frankly she was just about to barf this mornings breakfast if it weren't for the fact that it'd be Tammy who would find her.

Fidgeting with her rings she'd deliberately avoided the mirror, it wasn't like she needed another reason to overthink her appearance. Surely she was green from the nausea, glancing up her complexion resembled that of a clown. White and red, a laughing stock, she frowned at the thought.

Just outside Linda's voice carried through the small boutique echoing a reminder to Tina. This wasn't high-school and she wasn't the same placid girl anymore.  Haphazardly she tore off the comfortable layers of cotton and slipped on the linen dress. Cheeks flushed and eyes sparkling with determination she turned around to face the mirror only to be met with the sight of a wild mess.

Frantically smoothing down her hair she cursed not having styled it the night before. More often then not it would become wavy after a shower or on the rare humid days, something she'd inherited from her mother and the reason she'd had a bob for most of her teenage years. Practicality trumped most things in her book.  But she'd grown out her hair two years ago and she didn't mind the extra work so much.

Laying down the last strand Tina stared back at her reflection. A shy smile appeared surprising herself. She felt good and she looked good. She averted her gaze for a moment to admire the details up close. Glancing back up her head tilted before her eyes lit up once again.

Reaching for her tote she felt around then taking out the source of the blush across her cheeks "Perfect." Tina mouthed to herself while fixing up her hair into a half up- half down style making sure to pull out her bangs. Turning to the side she eyed the shiny hair clip, it's silver- blue swirls looked like ocean waves. Her heart slowly settled. Pushing the door open she stepped out, just enough to catch her mother's attention.

Linda looked up from the tag she was reading and adjusted her glasses, her face immediately relaxing at the sight of her daughter and then just as quickly her expression became animated "Oh hun you look gorgeous. Tammy hun don't you think so?" she clasped her hands while nodding towards the blonde who was mid-handing her a pair of sunglasses "...Yeah." her voice trailed off barely sparing a moment but Tina had caught it, the slight raise of her brow "I'll take it." she commented over her shoulder before re-entering the dressing room, a pleased look in her eyes as she stepped back out with the dress in hand.

Taking a call from her husband Linda patted Tina's back before stepping out. Surely her father had grown antsy wondering why they'd taken so long to return, the man truly had no idea what to do with himself whenever her mother left his side. Packing up the dress Tammy placed the complimentary card inside the paper bag "These earrings would go well with it." her baby pink acrylics tapped against the glass display.

Taking a polite glance Tina just wished she could get out as soon as possible, her courage was unfortunately running thin. Her head perked up at a gasp "Yes?" it had been a reflex from all the years of experiencing her brother's dramatic expressions. Folding her arms Tammy's face lit up "That hair claw, it's one of Mrs. Smiths pieces. She super artisanal. They're all one of a kind." her voice was becoming alarmingly high pitched.

Instinctively turning to hide it Tina took a hold of the bag but Tammy beat her to it picking it up "It's nice. I got it at the farmers market." she offered hoping it would be enough but of course Tammy didn't care about the accessory itself no because that same weekend she'd been on the phone with Jocelyn and heard her complain about Zeke not having given her that same claw clip.

Slowly she handed the bag to Tina with a sweet smile "That's right you've been home for a while now, Jocelyn told me all about it. Guess Zeke might have mentioned it to her." she let out a dismissive laugh as Tina took the bag and stepped back "I didn't exactly advertise it so no worries." she self conciously held the bag against her chest "Of course it's just you're so lucky Zeke even gives you the time of day, Jocelyn barely talks to me these days. I mean what with all the time they spend together. That's why I didn't even bother going to the farmers market." Tammy pouted resting her arms against the counter.

Focusing on the plain paper bag Tina did her best to keep a clear mind. This was Tammy of all people, she knew how the blonde always had a way with words. "I'm sure you'll get a chance this weekend, maybe stop by the Smith's booth and get something nice. Although I can't give you a heads up on the prices..." Tina reached up to brush her fingers against the hair claw "This one was gifted." her smile barely met her eyes but it was enough to end the uncomfortable conversation as Linda walked back in "All done?" she asked and Tina gladly nodded "See you around Tammy." she turned not bothering to check for a reaction.

As they tucked the three bags into the backseat Tina could barely keep a single string of thoughts. So what if Jocelyn and Zeke spent time together? They'd all been friends, she had no say in what anyone was up to while she was gone. Still, she stole a glance back at the shop, that would mean the blonde at the booth must have been Jocelyn.

Come to think of it the two seemed so comfortable with each other, she'd stuck around with the band after the show. After all, Jocelyn had been here while Tina hadn't. The car engine turned and her eyes widened. Linda let go of the key "We've got to hurry Tina your father is already going on about your sister's dishwashing." she shook her head with a worried laugh.

Unloading the hunk of metal took longer than necessary and Gene was not happy when they'd finished he threw himself over a booth bench and sighed "Louise would've thrown a tantrum if she had to lug this around." He laughed meanwhile the eldest Belcher crossed her arms "I just have to ask mom if we were even half as moody." the sentence had been a sincere show of concern but Gene laughed already sitting up "Yeah right I was a fucking delight." the bell jingled as a customer walked in, Teddy getting back after a quick run to the hardware store.

Welcoming him Tina gestured at the appliance and the man tugged at the top of his beanie "Yeah that'll be it." his eyes searched for signs of Bob and her brother stood up "Mom has him tied up with some paperwork." he sighed just as the two popped in.

As the three adults hovered over the dishwasher Gene gave his older sister a knowing look, a universal sign between all siblings. It was time to make a swift exit and get the hell out of there. Luckily Tina obliged this time and the two made it out to the side door.

Their phones dinged simultaneously and the two shared a wary glance, had their mom already noticed their absence? Tina went first as the lit screen up screen reflected in the lens of her glasses, noticing a lack of reaction Gene impatiently checked his screen only to see it was a similarly trying topic.

Tina didn't seem as phased, her eyes had widened if only for just a second and for the first time in a while Gene found himself interested in his older sisters social life. Or rather he desperately needed a distraction, either way he was already shoving his phone into his pocket and fanning himself from the humid day.

Intercepting in his still forming plan Tina typed back and opened the door, leaving ajar "I've got  some writing to get done, please let Louise know she's going to have to help with the closing shift and I can prep for tomorrow!" she gave him a grateful smile before disappearing up the stairs in a rush he hadn't seen before.

The ringing of her phone and indication that the eldest Belcher girl would in fact be getting no writing done that afternoon. Leaning against the green door he debated whether to follow suit and lock himself up for the day with regret or go out only to find he would have much preferred staying in. Either way he'd still have to answer those messages, glancing up at the building he thought back to the first time he'd ever seen his boyfriend stop by. They'd always made the time, so then what was so complicated about it now? He grimaced taking a hold of the door knob, shoved deep inside his dresser in a tiny wooden box was the answer.

(A/N sorry for the short chapter, really a filler. it's my last semester of college and I'm swamped with work :/ frequent updates starting late may!!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 205 43
a conrad fisher story „My heart is completely devoted to you, Millie. You're everything I want, everything I need." ...
5.4K 179 45
--completed- Mariella looks forward to going to the beach house every single year. She's gone with her friends for as long as she can remember. The s...
113 14 9
Summers are supposed to be that time of the year that you should look forward to. No school, hours at the beach, late night parties. What's not to lo...
29.7K 806 47
"I will wait for you all summer and every summer after if I have to." Competitive surfer, Kenna Calvin has one last summer in Channel Islands, Califo...