Masquerade [BANG CHAN FF]

By Anna_Hiwatari

Rich or poor, young or old, it doesn't matter. All you need for the big Friday night masquerade is... a mask... More

1. New teacher
2. First night out
3. Last normal weekend
4. First day at the new job
5. Excursion
6. Kind Prince
7. Bedtime stories
8. Young noblemen
9. Dance lesson
10. Caught in a lie
11. Afternoon tea
13. Black magical cat

12. Apology

613 32 62
By Anna_Hiwatari

After Madeline saw Alissa out, she began constructing her plan on how to approach the prince. Christopher wasn't in the castle for the rest of the day and Madeline thought that it would be rude to pry and ask about the reason for his absence. Luckily, her curiosity didn't last long because Princess Hannah asked her mother about her brother's whereabouts during dinner. Pretending to eat her dinner, unaffected by their conversation, Madeline's hearing sharpened nonetheless and she learned that he was away for a business meeting with the best tailor in the kingdom, negotiating with him to make specially designed suits and dresses for the Friday's Halloween masquerade.

Young prince and princess sulked because they were too young for the masquerade but Madeline tried her best to hide the excitement - she loved holiday parties and now that Alissa was here, Madeline planned to attend this masquerade, already thinking of a Halloween costume. Since she didn't have to hide from the prince any longer and since her confidence and courage grew tenfold because of Alissa and her support, Madeline decided to continue attending these Friday masquerade balls and feed her love for dancing without worrying about him and his judgemental glare.

But first...

Apologizing and explaining her reasons to Christopher was impossible if he wasn't present in the castle and Madeline had spent a fair amount of night thinking and noting everything she wanted to tell him, reenacting all possible scenarios in her room, having a reply to his every statement. She won't let him dismiss her until she tells him everything, that much was sure.

But Prince Christopher didn't return home the next day either.

Madeline started worrying, doubting, but whenever she would second-guess herself and her plan, Alissa's face and words would flash in her mind and she would smile to herself again, determined to go through this trial and corner the prince as soon as she would see him, be it in the castle or that Halloween masquerade on Friday.

However, luck was on her side and she saw Christopher at dinner that night, listening all about how he and Changbin convinced the famous tailor to take on the task of making special Halloween masquerade masks, suits, and ballgowns with the help of all of his employees. It was October 29th and the Halloween masquerade was only two days away but reassured everyone that the tailor and his employees would make everything in time.

"They started working right away," Prince Christopher explained while slicing the juicy steak on his plate. "The sum of money they require for their services is not small but if they succeed, we'll have a business partner who will make our masquerade even more popular, and we will prosper from it because the tailor will give us a good percentage of his sales for every suit or dress the nobility purchases," he paused to take a bite and continued when he swallowed it, looking straight at his father. "Duke Armstrong has already taken interest in having his daughter wear only the dresses Mr. Flannel makes."

Princess Hannah grunted in the seat next to Madeline but didn't comment anything. Madeline glanced at the prince before returning to her food.

She remembered Lady Gwendolyn - she was a beautiful noblewoman with a vulgar personality and, taking Alissa's advice, Madeline intended to stay as far away from the young duchess as possible. After the masquerade she had attended, Madeline didn't hear more of that "engagement rumor" Alissa had talked about. To be honest, she forgot about it the very next day as she reminisced about the prince, his seductive eyes and voice, and his hold on her body as they danced.

Not that Madeline had time to fantasize about him now when all she had on her mind was her confrontation plan. However, Madeline had to think fast and think of perfect timing, a situation when she would be alone with him.

And there was no other and better time gap than the one after she read to the twins, tucked them to sleep, and went to bed herself.

Madeline carefully closed the door of the twins' bedroom, just as she did it every night, and breathed out, getting her mind and heart ready. 

For all the time Madeline has been in the castle and around the royals, she had picked on their habits and daily routines. And Prince Christopher had the unhealthiest ones. In short, he worked too hard and slept too little. 

During the day, the eldest prince had business either outside the castle, occasionally in a different town, or on the premises - training with the royal army or fencing. When the night came he was hollered in his office after dinner, doing paperwork. After the papers would bore him, he would go and train his body in the chosen facilities - underground, at the indoor pool, in his personal training room in the west wing, or outside. When he was done and used all of his energy or poured out his frustration in combat and working out, he would shower and return to his office to continue doing the paperwork he previously stopped. At what time of the night he went to bed was unknown to Madeline.

She picked up on this routine over time as she occasionally went to fetch a glass of water in the middle of the night and would see him, through one of the mirrors in the hallway, either training outside or sitting behind the large oak desk, the golden light of the desk lamp shining on his features and papers in hand.

Glancing at the tall clock in the hallway, which showed a few minutes past nine, Madeline knew that he was in his office, most likely reviewing the papers for his new business deal with a popular tailor.

The sound of her footsteps was nulled by the soft red carpet spreading down the hallway. She gripped her hands together, her heart pounding against her chest, picking up speed the closer she got to the tall closed door of Christopher's office.

Madeline stopped in front of it and let out another long sigh before the knuckles of her fingers firmly knocked on the polished wood.

A moment of silence stretched out for what seemed an eternity before a muffled "Come in" from the inside of the room reached her ears. Madeline nodded to herself, pushed down all the nervous jitters, and ignored the cold sweat surfacing and damping the cotton of the shirt on her back.

Pushing down the door handle, Madeline slowly opened the door and lowered her head before entering. She had never been in this room but the golden and white tones matched the rest of the castle's interior design.

"Do you have a moment, Your Highness?" she asked politely, raising her head to meet his icy glare. Christopher was sitting behind his desk, revising the business papers.

"No," he replied before returning his attention to the papers in hand.

Prince Christopher was dressed rather casually. Wearing a black t-shirt instead of his uniform took Madeline aback but then she noticed the thick and black uniform jacket hung on the back of his office chair. The fireplace in the office was lit, the wood crackling by the intensity of the flames just how Madeline's sanity started breaking apart at the sight of his exposed forearms tensing as he shifted the papers in his hands. However, she had to resist the warmth of the room and the blaze taking over her body, reminding herself about the purpose of her visit.

Madeline frowned and, albeit his response, entered the room, closing the door behind her.

"I won't take much of your time, I just want---"

"I said no," the prince didn't raise his voice. The words came out harsh and cold, matching his glare directed at the young tutor. "Get out."

"I will stay," she tilted her chin up and his eyes narrowed at her disobedience, "I need to talk to you."

"And I don't need to talk to you," emphasizing certain words, he looked back at the papers, "I told you not to speak to me again."

"You cannot force me away," she stood her ground and he closed his eyes for a moment, his jaw clenching with as much force as the one he used to grip the papers. 

Christopher looked up at her again, the blaze of anger coiling in his stomach. He gritted his teeth, noticing that his breath and heartbeat became quicker and hotter. Their eye contact was solid and the more he stared into her brown eyes, the sparkle of determination dancing in them by being empowered by the flames in the fireplace, the more his rage grew. Christopher threw the papers and slammed his hands against the desk, his actions not pulling out a single flinch from the woman.

Prince Christopher stood up and so fluidly came from behind the desk, appearing in front of Madeline in seconds while maintaining his glare on her. She, as well, didn't look away.

"As a matter of fact, I can and will force you away, throw you out of this room if I have to," he gritted out, his voice drizzled in venom. "Get. Out."

"No," she pushed her shoulders back and tilted her chin up a bit, her tone and posture daring.

A fraction of his mind admired Madeline for her boldness and attitude but the rest of his being hated that persistence. Christopher never raised a hand on a woman but his fingers twitched at the thought of making tonight the first time he would do that.

"I am not interested in anything you have to say," he seemingly came closer to her, looking down into her eyes, "Anything you'd say... I wouldn't be able to distinguish the lie from the truth so, for the last time, I kindly ask you to leave."

Christopher stepped away from the woman, the cool dash of air replacing his engulfing heat, and Madeline let out a breath she wasn't aware of holding back.

"Can't you just give me a chance to--"

He turned abruptly, "You had almost two months' worth of chances, Madeline! I don't want to hear it!"

She pressed her lips together and her fingernails dug deep into the palms of her hands. He was right - the longer it took her to explain, the harder it would be to do it when the time came.

She lowered her head, "There is so much more to me than that stupid lie..." Madeline muttered, balling her fists and not caring if her palms would bleed. "My identity at the ball was a lie but..." she looked back at him, her sorrowful eyes meeting his icy ones, "But everything else was true."

"I told you - I don't want to hear your puny depressing story," Christopher crossed his arms and Madeline's breath hitched.

"Why...?" she asked carefully.

"Because once a person lies to me, I never believe them again and I don't want to have any business with a liar," he said, his tone even, sharp, precise, cutting Madeline's heart into pieces. Yet something coiled in the pit of her stomach and she stepped forward.

"But the lie was stupid and you know it!" she unintentionally raised her voice and a raging fire burned in Christopher's chest.

"Exactly!" he stepped away from the desk, a few feet away from the woman. His frame seemed bigger and Madeline gulped as if a wild beast was unleased and ready to devour her. "And because it was so stupid, you could've admitted it sooner and not come to my office now that I had exposed you!"

The prince was, again, right but Madeline promised herself to not back down so she straightened her posture again and stepped closer, raising her chin just a bit.

"Better late than never... Your Highness," her eyes narrowed, and his followed.

"You're annoying."

"And you're stubborn."

"Maybe I am but I don't talk back to those in a higher position than me. That's called respect and, right now, Miss Simmons, you are disrespecting me."

"The only one higher than you is your father and, indeed, you can't talk back to your parents however..." She came so close, she could hear his breathing and feel his heat again, "You are not the king nor my father and I haven't done anything disrespectful - I didn't insult you in any way - I am just asking of you to listen..."

"Why are you so keen on explaining yourself now?"

"Because, Your Highness..." she tilted her head to the side, gazing deep into his eyes and noticing the ice in it melting, "I don't want to remain on bad terms with you."

Silence emerged. Only the faint sound of cracking wood in the fireplace filled the space of the room. Two young people stared at each other, the proximity of their bodies almost non-existent.

"I don't want to be Liliana, Your Highness," Madeline spoke up first, "But I also don't want to live in my past and the fear of stepping on the dance floor. I love to dance, Your Highness... but I also love your siblings... who love you."

The word "love" leaving her lips three times in a short amount of time did something to Christopher's heart, mind, and body - it ignited unexpected warmth. It wasn't the raging fire but a pleasant heat that melted his ice. He knew the word was not used directly at him and for him but it still sounded so mellow, that he couldn't deny it.

Prince Christopher stepped away first, going to his desk and leaning his behind on it, while crossing his arms in front of his chest again.

"You have five minutes," he declared.

A smile graced Madeline's face and she lifted the skirt of her dress, curtsying at the prince.

"That will be enough. Thank you, Your Highness," she nodded and he waited. Madeline took a deep breath, her smile not wavering. "To put it frankly, you were right - I lied because I needed to keep my tutor image clean as I got the job that very day and thought that it would be rude of me to appear laid-back... aloof if you will," she took another breath but kept her eyes on him. 

"I never would've thought that my dancing would... charm you. But it was never my intention to seduce you," a shy smile matched her rosy cheeks. "I could've said something that night in the hallway, yes, but you looked so happy... it took me aback and saddened me to crush that happiness."

"But it was crushed nonetheless," his scowl deepened and Madeline's smile faded away.

"Yes... I know... And I'm very sorry for that but, I promise..." she pushed a weak smile, her eyes tearing up, "My main purpose here is to teach your siblings but, as said, I don't want to be in bad relations with you so I plea for you to accept my sincerest apology for my lie."

Madeline bowed deeply and heard Christopher let out a sigh. Straightening up, she met his eyes again but there was no longer that steel-cutting sharpness in them.

The five minutes he had given her were not entirely over but, now that she began talking, Christopher was determined to hear more.

"That fear of dancing..." he began, his husky voice binding her body. His eyes narrowed again. "Is it because of that slimy, moustache-wearing concierge?" Madeline lowered her head and gripped her hands together. Her actions, posture, and silence were enough of an answer. "What did he do to you?"

Madeline bit her lip and squeezed her eyes shut, gaining composure to dive back into her past. She took a moment before looking back up at the prince and speaking.

"Pierre was a dancing prodigy," she breathed out, "But Sir Hyunjin outshone him in every competition," she scoffed before continuing, looking everywhere but at the prince, "He was and still is so full of himself. Confidence he had turned into narcissism and he thought he could have it all... even me," her jaw clenched at the memory but she had to continue. 

"He thought he could sit on two chairs but two-timing never worked out for him. That day of our final competition, I experienced such humiliation that scarred me for years. Even though it was a rumor that we were in a relationship, people believed it... one specific woman believed in it. She stormed into the ballroom and slapped me across the face right in the middle of our dance. Pierre did nothing to stop her," bitter tears of resentment filled her eyes. "Instead, he ran after her, leaving me on an empty dance floor, surrounded by whispering voices and judgmental stares... because she was a noblewoman and I was a nobody... and a rumor of me interfering and breaking them apart leached onto me for years to come. I never again wanted my name to be associated with ballroom dancing because he ruined the joy I felt for it..."

Tears fell on their own and she lowered her head to hide her face.

"Was that masquerade ball the first time you danced since that day?" a question came from the prince after a moment of silence.

Madeline frantically nodded, wiping away her tears, "Yes... And being under the mask, in a town nobody knew of me, felt so relieving that it returned that joy I felt was gone for good."

Prince Christopher sighed again and stood away from the desk, approaching the fireplace and gazing at the flames dancing on the wood.

"My heart and mind battled ever since that cursed Friday night," he frowned, "The similarities were there - from your hair and face to your voice - but I decided to ignore them," Christopher turned to teary Madeline, "That night in the hallway was excruciatingly painful - you were right there but didn't deny the existence of Liliana. You heard how much I liked and admired her but remained silent. The fact that you denied dancing at my birthday ball was another warning I ignored so I set off on a journey to seek out the truth. Hyunjin helped - we looked through the documents and him telling me that no girl under that name studied at the same time as him, was the needed puzzle piece, a needed light that cleared the delusional fog of my mind and brought up the truth I so much wanted to bury."

He began walking and appeared in front of Madeline again. He didn't touch her but she tensed nonetheless as she looked up into his eyes.

"I didn't want to correlate my siblings' teacher to the girl I... liked." Christopher used the past tense and Madeline's eyes filled with new tears. "I hated you, Madeline, so much I couldn't sleep. A mere stupid lie hurt my pride but..." he couldn't help it - Christopher's hand came up and his fingertips touched Madeline's damp cheek, the warmth of her skin transferring to him, "The fact that you are here and that I didn't forcefully threw you out means something... You are audacious, arrogant, and persistent..." now his whole hand cupped her cheek fully as their eye contact never broke, "But you are also selfless, kind, and intelligent. All I want, Madeline, is for you to be yourself. You have amazing qualities and, no matter how foolish it looks to a bystander such as me, your fear of hiding is justified. I acted up, I admit it, but my pride didn't let me forgive you."

She sniffled, not daring to move and lose the warmth his palm gave her. "Do you... forgive me now?"

And for the first time in what seemed like forever, Christopher smiled. "I do," he nodded, "And I want you to forgive me for being so brutal against you..." his other hand touched hers, the small and slow movements causing the welled tears to drop down her cheeks. Only, this time, the prince's thumb was there to catch one and wipe it off.

"I forgive you..." Madeline blinked, letting out a shaky breath, "Although your anger was justified, as well... And I promise," she breathed in his scent, her cheeks heating up, "I will continue to show you my real self..."

"That's all I need..." he whispered back, the heat surging between them.

Madeline didn't resist his touch and Christopher was glad she didn't. His heart was pulled by Liliana and his mind denied any connections to Madeline but now that the masks were off, his heart a mind agreed that his attraction was, in fact, directed toward this daring but intelligent tutor. She wasn't of a noble upbringing but, to him, that didn't matter. What attracted Christopher to her, besides her elegant dancing, was Madeline's love for his siblings, boldness, and remarkable beauty he so much wanted to ignore in the past.

His hold on her hand tightened and both gulped at the same time, their gazes falling to each other's lips. Madeline leaned more into the palm of his hand and dared to wrap her fingers around his. Christopher angled his head, their breaths hot and mixing. Their bodies tingled with anticipation and heat hotter than the flames in the fireplace. The attraction was evident.

But a loud knock on the door broke them out of their trance. Madeline blinked and abruptly stepped away, covering her mouth with the back of her hand.

Christopher grumbled and stepped to the door, opening it to reveal a flustered maid.

"Your Highness..." the maid bowed, "I apologize for intruding but..." she paused, getting a glimpse of Madeline, "Your siblings are requesting your presence... Miss Madeline's too."

"What happened?" Christopher growled, already on his way out. Madeline followed suit.

"Prince Lucas had a nightmare and started crying but then Princess Hannah wanted to give him water but she dropped the glass and it broke and now..." the maid talked as she rushed behind him.

It took them less than a minute to arrive at the room. Christopher swung open the door, rushing straight to Hannah whose hands shook wildly. The glass shards were cleaned off the floor previously. Both children were in the bed, crying uncontrollably. Madeline sat next to Lucas and he immediately wrapped his arms around her. She soothed him, whispering softly and caressing his hair and back.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Christopher asked his sister but she shook her head and he finally hugged her. "Then it's alright... You'll be fine..." 

The young princess clung to her brother the same way the younger prince hugged Madeline. Two grown-ups exchanged a worried look but then smiled at each other, comforting the young ones until they fell asleep again, promising to care and protect them.

Madeline carefully closed the door and turned to Christopher, the light of the lamps on the walls shining and accenting his now-gentle features.

"Thank you," he spoke first, an endearing smile curving his lips, "They calmed down because of you... these kids really love you, Miss Simmons."

She smiled back and shook her head, "It wasn't just my doing. You had a hand in this as well, Your Highness."

"Yeah..." he chuckled and pushed his hands into his pants pockets. "Well then... I wish you good night."

"Thank you... for forgiving me for my stupid lie," she repeated and he nodded again.

"Of course but..." Christopher stepped forward, taking Madeline's hand while maintaining eye contact, "I'm looking forward to Friday," her eyes widened slightly. "Will you grace us with your appearance on the special Halloween masquerade, Miss Simmons?"

She chuckled and nodded, "It will be my pleasure."

"Then..." Christopher raised her hand and pressed his lips on the soft skin, "I am looking forward to dancing with you... Madeline."

Her name in his velvety voice had a special ring and the tingles reappeared, coursing through her body. His voice matched the glow in his eyes and the smile on his face so Madeline couldn't help but smile back, bending her knees in curtsy.

"I am looking forward to it as well, Your Highness."

He released her hand and straightened, having both of his hands now behind his back, "I wish you good night... again."

They shared a quiet chuckle before Madeline responded and turned to walk away to her room. He watched after her like a falcon, proud and content. Their relationship was progressing in a good light as of tonight.

And, for the first time in weeks, both Madeline and Christopher slept well, keeping a smile on their faces before their consciousnesses drifted off into dreams.

╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸╸

To be continued...

A/N: And so... everything's good now...

I hope I did them justice with this chapter. The spark is there but it needs to ignite the real fire. Is that right, Your Highness?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 3.6K 60
! READ THE DESCRIPTION FIRST PLS ! One white lie she thought would be meaningless turned into a dangerous game. "... at the end of the day, you're st...
4K 253 23
Aida is a noble family's daughter. Her parents send her to the capital, to the Selling. What will she do when she has to choose between the prince an...
1.6K 40 17
Long distance relationships are difficult, even when you're understanding. The greatest moments are when your patience and endurance are rewarded. An...
95.8K 3.4K 65
"If the world turns back on you, I would turn too and yell at them saying thank you for leaving because they don't deserve you" "You should just go w...