Living a Dream: Love Story in...

Od PurpleKorea134

It has been Sophia O'Shea's dream to travel to an Asian county, and she gets the opportunity to do so when sh... Viac

Chapter 1 - The Beginning of a Great Adventure
Chapter 3 - Fun at the Beach in Da Nang
Chapter 4 - Lovely Morning Walk on a Busy Street
Chapter 5 - The Colorful Night Scene in Hoi An
Chapter 6 - A Rather Heated Day at My Son Sanctuary
Chapter 7 - The Breathtaking Vietnamese Countryside
Chapter 8 - Nighttime in the Country Produces Heated Feelings
Chapter 9 - The Cute Kiss Scene Brings Back Memories
Chapter 10 - Advice from a Few Reliable Sources
Chapter 11 - Not Acting out the Emotions
Chapter 12 - A See You Later at the Golden Hand Bridge

Chapter 2 - The Ben Thanh Market: Bargaining

6 0 0
Od PurpleKorea134

So, yes, I love this movie, and I also love that the main character's name is Amanda, which is my first name. Just a note. Also, in the story, I made up Scott's background. I don't know much about him.

~ ~ ~

The market scene was the last scene we had to for the day. After the chariots, we did the scene where Amanda, who was played by Rachael, has to cross the street through dozens of mopeds, and Sinh helps her. Apparently, there were no crosswalks in Vietnam. People just had to cross the street at their own risk, and they would trust the other drivers not to run them over.

The "crossing the busy street" scene took a couple of hours since the time had to be just right for them to walk through. Everyone was pretty beat after that scene since it was so noisy and stressful, and laughingly, in the movie, it would come before the market scenes. Usually, scenes were shot out of order and would be put together later like a movie puzzle. I learned that in school in a film class.

Now, I had seen Asian markets on TV and in shows, and had been to a few in LA, but this one took the cake. It was huge! I stood there, mouth agape, when we first stepped into the noisy, bustling place. The perk of shooting in this place last was that we get to go shopping after filming, actors and crew alike. I was looking forward to that, and immediately, I was eyeing stands and shops to check out later. Excitement buzzed me. I loved shopping, especially for Asian things.

"Holy cow, look at this place!" I hollered as I stared around, and my team around me laughed. They had been in Vietnam longer than me and probably had already been through this market. It was popular for the tourists. Vietnam was a great tourist destination, but not a lot of people thought of going here, hence the idea for this movie.

"It's something, isn't it?" asked Joey, a guy of about my age, maybe younger, who was on my team, and he was a Vietnamese-American like Scott. He was also pretty cute and resembled one of those Asian pretty boys from boy bands. He had the look and hair for it. He was the one who called me earlier at the hotel.

"It really is," I agreed, looking around and not knowing what to look at since there were so many stalls and people. The natives noticed the crew and stopped and chatted with the other natives who were a part of it. "This place is huge. After filming, I'm going to spend some time and go to each stall."

"You're going to be here until midnight."

We both laughed at that, knowing he was probably not wrong, and got to work. As I was helping set up a stand of fruit for the scene, I bumped into someone. I turned around and saw that it was Andrew Barth Feldman, who played the youngest of the tour group in the movie, Alex, the one who was on a gap year before college. This kid was around twenty years old. A baby. Well, to me, that is. All people born after the year 2000 were babies to me. I was a 1989 baby.

"Oh, I'm sorry," said the redhead, only his shade had more brown, creating a nice auburn. He also had some freckles dotting his nose and cheeks.

"That's okay. Sorry, it's pretty nuts in here."

"Yeah, no kidding! I about passed out when I came in here."

He was beaming. His character and he himself seemed a lot like the same person—giddy and outgoing. "Me, too. I'm Sophia, set production."

He shook my hand. "Andrew. It's a pleasure to meet a fellow redhead here in Vietnam."

I handled my hair that I tied into a long ponytail as it was draped over my shoulder. "Yes, very much so. Some lady at the street scene earlier, at one of the shops, gushed about my red hair, saying she hasn't seen anything like it. And mind you, Scott had to translate everything for us in that conversation, and that's how I knew what she was saying."

"It's so nice to have him around for that reason. He's such a nice and funny guy."

"I agree. He's very personable and outgoing. And kinda quirky like his character Sinh. It's cute."

"You think he's cute, huh?" He rose his eyebrow a few times slyly, and I chuckled. "Did you know that he's forty-five?"

My eyes widened. "Say what? Get out of town. I totally thought he was like forty, or even thirty-eight."

"Nope. Man, I hope I age as well as him once I hit middle age."

It was hard to believe that Scott was middle-aged since he looked so good. We both looked over to where he was standing, next to Rachael and Steven, as well as pink-haired Thanh. He saw us staring. He told his company something and walked the twenty feet over to us. He put his arms out like a bird. "Hey, the redheads meet!"

"Yeah, I know!" Andrew said gleefully. "We were just talking about you."

"You were, were you?" He raised a brow playfully.

"All good things, I promise. You're awesome, man. We were just saying that."

"Hey, right back at you." The guys took hands and did the guy-hug. When they were through, Scott looked at me. "So, this is some marketplace, huh?"

"Yeah, you bet. I've been in Asian markets in LA, but this tops all of them. I'm going to be here for hours looking at everything after filming's through." Andrew was called over by Morgan who played the girl his age in the tour group, and Scott was called, too, by Steven. "Well, back to work, I guess."

"Yes. And a word of advice when you go shopping... remember to negotiate the price of whatever you buy, lowering it as much as you can."

I recalled something. "Like what Sinh tells Amanda to do in this scene."

"Exactly."

"Will you be sticking around afterwards?"

"You bet I am. I was looking forward to today just for the market scene since I wanted to make some good bargains."

He winked, and I found that pretty flirty. I loved it. But maybe he did that with every woman he was around. "Sounds like a plan. Well... good luck behind the camera."

"Thank you. And good job with the set-up."

"Well, everything was mostly here for the market, so there wasn't much I had to do. But thank you."

He gave me a charming smile and was off. I watched him, and I watched him the whole time he was behind the camera. He was a natural. He had only played in a few things in the past, like minor roles, but he was so great at acting. It seemed so natural to him. I recalled him from one episode of the crime show Bones. I thought he was so handsome in that episode. When I did some digging and found out he played in that, and I would be working with him for this movie, I was tickled. It was also wonderful that he had a leading role when he didn't before in other things he was in, as far as I knew. This was a great opportunity for him.

I watched as the scene was filmed, and it took a good three hours for it to be completely done, including the scene where Sinh helps Amanda with finagling the price of the beautiful phoenix scarf.

I couldn't help but eye all the other goodies around this area of the market. When Steven shouted, "Cut! Okay, we're going to use that take!" I was already eyeing some other scarves in that same stall. The lady there noticed. Interestingly, she was the actual owner of the stall. What lucky people, being in the film just for owning a stall in the market. They just had to learn a few lines. All the other people, they became extras just by being there working.

The woman at the scarf stall said something in Vietnamese, but I had a good idea of what she was saying since she took a scarf and put it up to me. She was saying it looked good on me. She held up both hands, fingers spread out, indicating ten dollars. Then she put up a hand again. Fifteen.

"Hm..." Maybe I would try my hand at negotiating a price. I put up six fingers. She shook her head. Seven. Still no. I put the scarf down, but then she took it up again. She held up ten fingers. I held up nine. She pressed her lips together, then smiled and nodded. I got the cerulean blue scarf with an Asian cherry blossom pattern on it for nine dollars, translating to a little over 200,000 Vietnamese dong. In my Asian studies class, we learned the difference between our currency and other Asian currencies.

"Well done," I heard a very familiar voice comment next to me. "I saw the whole thing."

"I'm a fast learner," I said triumphantly and held up the scarf. "It was worth the nine dollars."

"I think so. The blue matches your eyes."

I put it up near my face and dangled it there. "You think so?"

He smiled, scrunching his eyes. "I do. Have you heard that blue eyes and orange hair is a rare genetic occurrence?"

I put the scarf down and started folding it. "Yes, I have, along with the fact that only two percent of the world has orange hair. I'm a freak of nature."

He creased his brows as he slid his hands into his slacks pockets. "I wouldn't say you're a freak of nature."

"I would. Especially after I do this."

I brought up my right elbow to my mouth and licked my elbow. Scott's mouth dropped open. "No way! That's not supposed to be possible!"

I put my arm down and put my scarf in my shoulder bag. "I told you I'm a freak of nature."

"I have to get that on camera. Do it again."

Some of the crew stood around us, and I chuckled when I saw that I had an audience, including the director and Rachael. When Scott's as well as other people's phones were out, I licked my elbow again, and almost everyone hollered in awe, including Scott. I put my arm down and felt the heat again in my face, only this time, it was because I brought on some attention. I never really liked being the center of attention.

"You are seriously one special person, Sophia," said Scott, and that took me aback a bit.

"Special?" I asked.

"Of course. I think you should say that you're special or unique instead of a freak of nature."

I stared at his brown eyes for a moment, taking that in. I had only been called special by my family members, not by a man. Especially not by an extremely hot Asian man. I nodded. "Okay. Yeah, I think you're right."

As we were having this little moment, Steven said that it was a wrap for filming for the day, and that everyone could go off and have fun in the market or wherever else.

"Looks like you have some more bargaining to do," Scott said to me as people started to put set equipment away and disperse.

"Yeah, I think so. So... you said you're going to look around, too?"

"Yes. I just need to go talk with my manager first. Have fun, okay? And try not to get lost in here."

"I'll try not to. No promises, though."

He left me, and I went on through the narrow passageways of stalls and shops in this part of the market. People were selling clothing, stuffed animals, little trinkets, Asian decorations, snacks, even fruits, vegetables and fish. Everything could be sold in this market. As I was perusing through the market, I came out to a little open area and saw some people talking with Rachael and Scott. Well, Rachael was a Hollywood actress, and Scott was an actor. People most likely recognized them, even in Vietnam. Both of them had fans.

As I stood there, Scott looked over at me as he was signing an autograph. He seemed to notice whenever I was looking at him. He smiled then looked away. I turned and faced a stall that sold trinkets and jewelry. This was meant to be an excuse to look away from Scott so he wouldn't think I was creepily watching him, but this stall had some truly beautiful things.

"Wow, this is so pretty," I gushed as I picked up what looked like a hairclip that was in the shape of a cherry blossom flower, and it was decorated with pink glass diamonds all over it. It glittered in the light. "This would match the scarf I just got, the pink flowers on it."

"Five dollar," the lady behind the counter said in English with a thick accent. I smiled at her.

"Five? Three?"

"Five," she repeated, holding up five fingers.

I pressed my lips, looking at the clip, pretending I was about to change my mind about it. The bargaining had begun. "Four."

She shook her head. "Five." I shook mine. I set the pin down, and I about walked away, like what was shown in the scene earlier, when the lady said, "Okay, okay. Four."

I grinned. "Four." I paid the money. "Thank you."

She said a sentence in Vietnamese, and I had no idea what she said. She repeated, and I gave her an apologetic look. Someone came up next to me. I knew who it was since I smelled his cologne, and his very presence made me tingle without even looking at him. "She said you're beautiful."

"Thank you," I told the woman gratefully. I asked Scott, "How do you say you're beautiful, too?"

He repeated that, and the woman smiled and blushed. "You... so kind," she said in broken English, and I grinned.

"You, too."

Scott translated that, and we were off after saying goodbye. He said, "You seem to be quite a people-person."

"Yeah, college did that to me. I was pretty shy growing up, actually. I hardly talked to anyone at school or anywhere else besides at home. Now look at me. I'm in Vietnam of all places talking to an actor!"

"Really blows your mind, doesn't it?"

"It sure does." We passed our fellow movie makers who were around shopping as well. I even noticed Steven and the producer Joel Rice buying some food from a stall. "Thank you, my unofficial translator," I said as we walked slowly. He shrugged.

"Hey, no problem. Any time."

"I think it's so impressive that you can just switch from English to Vietnamese on a dime. I have a hard enough time speaking English, and it's my native language."

He laughed. "Didn't you minor in Asian studies in college? Did they not require you to take an Asian language course?"

"They did, and it was Korean. I came out of those classing speaking like a preschooler, though. And I've lost a lot of the language since then, even though I lived about fifteen minutes away from Korea Town. I guess I was just chicken to speak the language."

"If I learned anything from speaking two languages that are vastly different from one another, it's that people will be impressed either way, especially if you're Caucasian and can speak an Asian language. I'm sure those little grandmas in Korea Town would love it if you talked to them in broken Korean."

I liked his term "little grandmas." It was cute. I knew the word grandma to be halmoni in Korean. "Yeah, I guess so. Again, though, I was chicken. I never really had much confidence growing up, and I guess that played into being shy. I still am to a degree, but I've gotten better."

"Getting out of your comfort zone is the best way to get over it. It's how I did."

I looked over at him as we walked through the bustle of this crazy market. "You? Shy? I don't believe it."

"It's true. I was a shy kid growing up, especially as one of the few Asian kids in my school."

It was so fun, learning more about him when there wasn't much on him on the internet. "I guess I can only sympathize with that. You seemed to do well with yourself now. How did you come to be an actor? Just decide to go to Hollywood and try it out?"

"Yes, actually. Well, my mom said that I could do something about my being bilingual and I could play in movies and shows and speak both languages. But... I was just in grade-B stuff and would guest in episodes of shows. I even voice acted in a couple videogames."

"Then came this. It was worth the wait, wasn't it?"

"It was, definitely. I love being surrounded by the culture I grew up in."

"I bet. And I love being surrounded by a culture that I want to learn more about. As you said, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. When I first heard of this opening as a production crew member, I tucked it away, thinking I had no chance. But my family said just apply for it and see what happens. So, I did. I went to a studio in LA, got tested and interviewed, and to my great shock, I got the job. I was over the moon with happiness. I thought that, finally, I could leave LA for the first time in my life and actually start my life thirty-three years into it. I was like Amanda—chained to her desk. Or to my hometown. I'm on an adventure here, ready to not escape life but experience it. I read the script," I added since that line was said during the chariot scene earlier. I looked over at him, and he was smirking to himself. "I'm sorry. I'm such a chatty Kathy sometimes."

"No, no chat away. It's so wonderful that you were able to get here. I'm happy for you. And I'm glad that you feel like you're finally experiencing life."

"Me, too. It's amazing."

"And I'm sorry if there was something in life that you want to escape."

Brian. I wouldn't mention him now. "Don't we all have those? I'm just moving forward. Anyway... so, I'm curious... and I'm sorry if this is personal..."

"Ask away."

"Have you always spoken Vietnamese and English, like for your whole life?"

He nodded as we passed stalls and smelled some really mouthwatering cooked meat. We stopped at a food stall, but just stood in front of it for a moment. "I have. I was born in Texas, so I went to public schools, and as I mentioned, I was one of the only Asian kids there out of maybe five or less. I spoke English outside of the home and Vietnamese inside of the home. You see, my parents are first generation in the US, and my grandparents were here in Vietnam in a small village about thirty miles south of this city. They moved to the US before my mom was born."

I noted the "were" in the sentence regarding his grandparents. I wouldn't address that. "I see. It's really cool, that you spoke both languages growing up, and now you're here where your family roots are. It's like you're coming home in a way."

"In a way. It's nice to use the language in the country it originated in."

"Yes, to help poor girls like me who were too lazy to even learn how to introduce herself before coming here."

He laughed and said something in Vietnamese. "That's how you say it—introducing yourself. Go ahead. Just substitute your name."

He repeated it, and I repeated him the best I could, and he smiled, amused. "Hey, don't laugh at me. I'll get it."

"I'm sorry, it's just..."

"What?"

"It's really cute when you say it, that's all."

Even though he had tanned skin, I could see him blush. He was blushing because of me! Was this really happening? "Um, thanks. You know... um... actually, nevermind."

"Now you have me curious."

I watched as people walked around, including those of our cast and crew, and the rest of the market was still all a bustle and noisy, and there was traditional music playing somewhere. "Well... I guess... it's all just flattering. I literally got here a day ago, and more people have complimented me than people have in two months at home. I guess it's because there aren't people who look like me around here like that one lady said earlier today."

He stared at me for a moment with a gentle gaze, and I wanted to melt under it. "Or it's just because you're what everyone says that you are—beautiful. I grew up in the US, and I think so, even when I've seen women with natural orange hair on numerous occasions."

I could see his point, and he was so nice in making it. "You're really nice, you know that?"

He laughed sheepishly. "Hey, I'm just being truthful, that's all. And it's like what Sinh said to Amanda in the street scene earlier—don't sell yourself short."

I nodded. "I get it. Thanks. I guess... well..." The sound of meat sizzling filled our ears, and we looked over at a man at a grill-type thing. Maybe I could just move on from that conversation. "Wow, that smells good. Do we have to bargain for food as well?"

"If you want. Want to watch the master at work?"

I shot up a brow. "Master, huh? Didn't you see me dominate the past couple of times?"

"The trick is to get the lowest price possible. You were impressive with the scarf, but for the hairpin..."

I put my hands on my hips, over my skinny jeans. "Okay, Mr. Bargain, show me the magic."

His eyes glint in competitiveness. "I would be happy to."

I watched as he impressively bought a piece of that grilled meat for two dollars when the man was selling it for seven. We walked away with two two-dollar pieces of meat on a stick.

"Okay, okay, that was impressive," I complemented him, and he grinned in triumph. "But maybe since he knew that you're an actor, he had to give you a huge discount. Or that you're American but have Vietnamese blood and can speak the language. With me, people like to take advantage of the poor American girl."

I took a bite of the meat, and my brows rose at the deliciousness of this beef on a stick. Scott said, "You may be right on a couple of those points, mainly the actor and Vietnamese blood, but people here like it when Americans try and reduce the price. They're immersing themselves in the culture."

"Really? So, the locals are flattered by it?"

"Most of them. A lot of them like to take advantage, like you said, which you have to be careful of."

"Psht. Well, at least I have the master with me."

He laughed, and we walked on. We made it to the other end of the market and stood near the entrance as it was nighttime outside. No wonder I was so hungry—it was passed dinnertime. Or wait... we were twelve hours ahead of LA, so it was early morning there. Whatever. I was just hungry.

"So... I'm sure you have better things to do as a great actor than to hang out with little ol' me," I said after tossing the stick from the meat stick into the trash, and Scott did the same. He put his hands into his pockets.

"I think it was time well-spent."

I smiled, grateful. "I met you literally..." I checked my phone. "Eight hours ago, and it's like I've known you for months. It's cliché, but that's how it feels. You're far more outgoing than I am."

"I just like to have a good time and help others have a good time as well."

He and his movie character really were pretty alike. Maybe that was why he seemed like such a natural. "That's really admirable. So..."

"I have a question."

"Okay."

"Do people really not complement you back in LA?"

I folded my arms over my purple tank top and looked off to the side at a stall that was selling fruit. "Well, I don't know. I mean, people do, it's just not as frequent as here. Maybe I just don't pay attention."

"That has to be it or else they're missing out on an incredible redheaded woman with blue eyes and who can lick her elbow."

I cracked a smile when I saw the sincerity in his brown, Asian eyes. "Yeah, maybe. I guess... well... sob story. I broke up with someone a year ago, and it really deflated my self-esteem. That's why I think it's so shocking that people are giving me complements when I don't think too highly of myself."

He nodded in understanding. "I'm so sorry you went through something like that. Breakups really do have the power to take away people's self-esteem. Just know that no matter what happened, you're not any less of yourself, okay? People here say that you're beautiful. Listen to them, not the memories of the breakup or your own insecurities. I know that's difficult, but it's how to get through."

I recalled what Rachael told me about him being single. He was speaking from experience, most likely. "Okay. I'll try."

"That's the best we can do sometimes. When I look in the mirror every morning, I need to set my insecurities aside since they show on the outside. People can see our insecurities when we show them."

He was hot, kind, a gentleman, funny, and he was very wise. "That's a good point." Some of the crew said hi to us as they walked by, and one was Joey. He asked me if I wanted a ride back to the hotel.

"It's okay," I told him. "I want to look around a bit more."

"Okay, have fun" said Joey, giving me a smile, then left.

"He has a thing for you," Scott observed as he pointed in Joey's direction, and I felt myself blush. I scratched the back of my head.

"Oh, I don't know..."

"It's obvious. He had 'that look'."

"That look, huh?"

"Every guy has it when he's interested in a woman. The twinkle in the eye, the little smile..."

I recalled the times that I caught Scott's glance and his little smirks. Maybe it was just me, but did I see "that look" on him? No, he was twelve years older than me. He wouldn't be looking at me like that. But he spent the last hour with me walking around the market and talking.

"I guess we'll see," I said. "So... what now?"

Right on cue, Scott's phone started ringing, a rap song that I hadn't heard before. He answered it in English. You never knew in a different country what language a bilingual person would speak on the phone. After he was done maybe thirty seconds later, he looked back at me.

"I guess that answers that question," I said. "Maybe I'll go catch up with Joey."

"Or practice your bargaining some more. We can have a competition when we get back here at the end of filming."

"You know I'll win."

One of his brows rose. "Is that a bet?"

"I think so. Ten bucks says I win."

"You're on."

We shook on it, and I inwardly giggled with glee at the fact that I made a fun bet with my new celebrity crush-slash-friend. Those good feelings started to tickle me when he was holding onto my hand for a couple seconds longer than a normal handshake, and I could feel the warmth and strength of his hand again. And again, I missed the feeling when he let go.

"Well, then, I will see you the day after tomorrow," he said. "We're going to be on the beach in Da Nang."

"I know. I can't wait, and... thanks for walking around with me. I really enjoyed getting to know you. I know you're an actor and all, but... I don't know how to put this..."

"I seem more normal?"

"I guess. Just, thanks. You helped me feel more at home when I'm thousands of miles away from home. Wow, that was cheesy."

We both chuckled. "Yeah, it kind of was, but I'm flattered all the same. I'm glad I was able to improve your stay here."

"You definitely did."

People passed us, native people, and they eyed me. A little girl pointed at me and said something that Scott smiled to. "What'd she say?" I asked when the cute little girl walked off with a woman that was most likely her mother.

"What everyone else has been saying."

"That I'm beautiful?"

"She specifically said that you're pretty. She said dep, which means pretty. Beautiful is xinh dep."

I nodded, trying to remember that. It was pronounced zin-dep. Come to think of it, I recognized it from what those ladies said to me. "I really should learn more Vietnamese."

"I would be happy to teach you." His phone dinged. "Well, I have to go. How about I get your number? You can call me whenever you want to talk, okay? I'm your friend now."

I grinned. "I'm so glad that you are. Okay."

We exchanged numbers, and they were both California numbers, mainly the LA area. If I didn't know where he came from, I would know by the number.

"So... see you in couple days," I said.

"Yes. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

He walked away into the crowds, and I turned and walked out of the marketplace. I found Joey and the group, and on the way back to the hotel, I recalled all that happened during the day, more specifically, my time with Scott. It was a miracle that I befriended him and spent a whole hour just walking and talking with him and learning how to bargain. It was so fun.

And I had his phone number now! I actually had a celebrity's phone number! How nuts was that?!

But something was more nuts... He singled me out and hung out with me. He said it was time well-spent. I could hear my little sister, who was twenty-seven, tell me that he was glued to my side for a while because Cupid hit him. Well... maybe. I didn't want to get my hopes up. We weren't teenagers, we were grown adults. I wouldn't press. I wanted to see how this played out, like how a movie played out. Well, my time in Vietnam was like a movie, or more a fantasy, and I was the star. Scott became my main male lead.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

5K 67 16
Sara's purpose in life have never been clearer. Destiny tends to change without notice. Whipping life into a chaotic spiral and destroying peace and...
137K 709 3
WARNING R-RATED Disaster-in-Waiting was a dream come true for me. Firstly writing it and then sharing it on here and receiving such a wonderful respo...
378 39 12
I don't love her , I worship her she's my maddest obsession, I am possessed by her, I am satined by her ...only her... always herrr...... -VIHAAN🍷💸...