Indigo Eyes

By ACourtOfStories

I could give you a sob story about how tough Cressida Lynn's life has been, but you're not here for that. You... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
A/N
The Staff of Hermes

Chapter 115

895 48 3
By ACourtOfStories

It was late afternoon when the taxi dropped them off at the Empire State Building. Mrs O'Leary went crazy as she started licking cabs and sniffing hot-dog carts, the Mist making her invisible to mortals. Cressida whistled for her to heel as Percy signalled the three white vans that pulled to the kerb. They said Delphi Strawberry Service, which was the cover name for Camp Half-Blood as the doors slid open and the campers began climbing out.

"Where the hell have you been?! What happened?" Pollux exclaimed as he raced for his sister, seeing the dry blood on her face.

"I'm fine. I swear."

"Cress, don't play with me. Are you sure?"

"I'm fine. I promise. Now did you bring what I asked for?"

"Yeah. There's also some extra vials of Solace solution in there," he said as he slung a back off his shoulder.

"I hate that that name stuck," Cressida said as she slung the bag on her shoulder while Percy did a head count, they had forty campers to work with, the Ares cabin unaccounted for.

Everyone was ridiculously nervous and it was very obvious why.

Annabeth came up to Percy as Cressida stepped inside the van to change quickly, sliding the door shut and Percy's confidence seemed to shatter.

Annabeth was dressed in black camouflage with her celestial bronze knife strapped to her arm and her laptop bag slung over her shoulder – ready for stabbing or surfing the internet, whichever came first.

"What happened to you two?" she asked. "And why are you still staring after Cress?"

Percy was snapped out of his daze as he looked at Annabeth. "What? Nothing happened. Cress saved me, as usual."

"Whatever you say, but I'll get the story one way or another," Annabeth swore. "I brought you some clothes as well," she said as Malcolm, her brother, handed her another bag.

"Thanks," Percy said as the van door slid open. While Annabeth was dressed in black camo, Cressida was just dressed in black. Black leggings, black combat boots, and a black t-shirt with her armour haphazardly thrown over it as she tried to braid her dark hair back, the entire outfit making her eyes stand out even more than before.

"Hey, Polly, can you get my straps for me?" she asked as she stepped out, her charm bracelet jangling and her camp necklace still around her neck.

"Yeah, I got it," he said as he began tightening straps as Cressida finished her hair.

"Percy," Annabeth said as she snapped her fingers in front of his face and he looked out to the rest of the group.

"Thanks for coming, everybody. Chiron, after you," Percy said but the centaur shook his head.

"I came to wish you luck, my boy. But I make it a point never to visit Olympus unless I am summoned."

"But you're our leader."

He smiled. "I am your trainer, your teacher. That is not the same as being your leader. I will go gather what allies I can. It may not be too late to convince my brother Centaurs to help. Meanwhile, you called the campers here, Percy. You are the leader."

"Olympus help us," Cressida joked and Percy rolled his eyes at her. "Ow! Pollux, I can't breathe," she complained as he tightened the straps too tight.

"Do you want it to fall off when you fight?"

"No, but I'm also pretty attached to my lungs that you're currently crushing."

"Di Immortales. Let me do it," Annabeth said as she pushed Pollux out of the way and did up Cressida's straps, Cressida just giving Percy an encouraging nod as he took a deep breath.

"Okay, like I told Annabeth on the phone, something bad is going to happen by tonight. Some kind of trap. We've got to get an audience with Zeus and convince him to defend the city. Remember, we can't take no for an answer."

Chiron shook Percy's hand. "You'll do well, Percy. Just remember your strengths and beware your weaknesses."

And his words seemed eerily close to what Achilles had told him, but then again, Chiron had taught Achilles. And all Percy could do was nod and try to give him a confident smile before he addressed the campers again.

"Let's go."

******************************************************************

A security guard was sitting behind the desk in the lobby, reading a big black book with a flower on the cover. He glanced up as they all filed in with their weapons and armour. "School group? We're about to close up."

"No," Percy said. "Six-hundredth floor."

He gave them a one-over. "There is no six-hundredth floor, kid." He said it like it was a required line he didn't believe. "Move along."

Percy held out his arm to stop Cressida from taking a step forward before she could even move as he leaned across the desk. "Forty demigods attract an awful lot of monsters. You really want us hanging out in your lobby?"

He took a second too long to consider it.

"Or do I have to let my friend convince you?" he threatened as Cressida let her eyes flame for effect.

He then hit a buzzer and the security gate swung open. "Make it quick."

"You don't want us going through the metal detectors," Percy added.

"Um, no," he agreed. "Elevator on the right. I guess you know the way."

Percy tossed him a golden drachma and they marched through.

They went up the elevator in two groups, Percy, Cressida, Annabeth and Pollux in the first group as Cressida mouthed the words to the elevator son 'Stayin' Alive.'

Olympus still took Percy's breath away, no matter how many times he'd seen it as they disembarked the elevator.

It looked as majestic as ever, but something seemed wrong. Then he realized the mountain was silent – no music, no voices, no laughter. It was almost like it was abandoned.

Annabeth then studied him. "You look ... different," she decided. "Where exactly did you go?"

The elevator doors opened again, and the second group of half-bloods joined them.

"Tell you later," Percy said as he surprised Cressida by taking her hand and pulling her along with him. "Come on."

The two girls exchanged looks as she was pulled after him.

What is he doing?

I don't know!

"Jackson!" Pollux thundered as he saw the contact. "Hands off my sister!"

Annabeth was the one that held him back. "Just leave them be. This might be the last time they're together if we fail."

Pollux seemed to soften at that before the anger in his eyes returned. "Still my sister. Still not letting it happen."

And he chased after them.

******************************************************************

They made their way across the sky bridge into the streets of Olympus. The shops were closed. The parks were empty. A couple of muses sat on a bench strumming flaming lyres, but their hearts didn't seem to be into it. A lone Cyclops swept the street with an uprooted oak tree. A minor godling spotted them from a balcony and ducked inside, closing his shutters.

They passed under a big marble archway with statues of Zeus and Hera on either side and both Annabeth and Cressida made faces at the queen of the gods, her hand still in Percy's despite Pollux's protests.

"Hate her," Annabeth muttered.

"Took the words right out of my mouth, Books," Cressida remarked as she flipped off the statue.

"Has she been cursing you or something?" Percy asked.

"Cress lives at camp so the barrier has kept her safe," Annabeth answered. "But she's been pestering me. Her sacred animal is the cow, right?"

"Right."

"So she sends cows after me."

Cressida smacked his arm as he tried not to laugh. "Cows? In San Francisco?"

"Oh, yeah. Usually, I don't see them, but the cows leave me little presents all over the place – in our backyard, on the sidewalk, in the school hallways. I have to be careful where I step."

"Look!" Pollux cried, pointing towards the horizon. "What the hell is that?"

They all froze. Blue lights were streaking across the evening sky towards Olympus like tiny comets. They seemed to be coming from all over the city, heading straight towards the mountain. As they got close, they fizzled out. they didn't seem to do any damage, but it was still strange.

"Like infrared scopes," Michael Yew muttered. "We're being targeted."

"Let's get to the palace," Percy said.

No one was guarding the hall of the gods. The gold-and-silver doors stood wide open.

"Moooo!" Bessie said happily, turning in a circle from the house-sized globe of water that hovered in the air.

Cressida had already let go of his hand and made her way over to the cow serpent, sticking her hand inside as Bessie pressed his nose to her affectionately.

"Hey, man," Percy said as he came up beside her. "They treating you okay?"

"Mooo," Bessie answered as Cressida withdrew her hand.

They walked towards the thrones and a woman's voice said, "Hello again, Percy Jackson. You and your friends are welcome."

Hestia stood by the hearth, poking the flames with a stick. She wore the same kind of simple brown dress as she had before, but she was a grown woman now. He bowed. "Lady Hestia."

Everyone else followed suit.

Hestia regarded him with her red glowing eyes. "I see you went through with your plan. You bear the curse of Achilles."

The other campers started muttering among themselves: 

"What did she say?" 

"What about Achilles?"

Pollux's eyes widened in horror as he stood behind his sister. "You helped him do what?"

"Just shut up. I'll tell you later. I promise," she hissed back at him.

"You must be careful," Hestia warned Percy. "You gained much on your journey. But you are still blind to the most important truth. Perhaps a glimpse is in order."

Annabeth nudged Cressida. "Um ... what is she talking about?"

And suddenly Percy's legs buckled as he began to fall, Cressida catching him. "Whoa, Barnacle Brain."

"Percy! What happened?" Annabeth asked worriedly, a hand on his back.

"Did - did you see that?" he asked.

"See what?" both girls questioned.

Percy just stared at the goddess. "How long was I out?" he muttered and their confusion and worry just grew.

"Percy, you weren't out at all. You just looked at Hestia for, like, one second and collapsed," Annabeth explained.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Cressida asked, a hand still on his arm.

Everyone's eyes were still on him, and you could feel the anxiety in the room.

"Um, Lady Hestia," Percy said, "we've come on urgent business. We need to see –"

"We know what you need," a man's voice said. He shuddered because it was the same voice he'd heard in the vision Hestia had shown him of Annabeth, Luke and Thalia.

A god shimmered into existence next to Hestia. In the crook of his arm was a long staff entwined with two living serpents.

"I will leave you now," Hestia said. She bowed to the aviator and disappeared into smoke. And they understood her urge to leave because Hermes did not look happy.

"Hello, Percy."

Cressida recognised the look on his face as annoyance - she'd been annoyed at Percy a lot.

Percy bowed. "Lord Hermes. Hello, George," he said after a moment. "Hey, Martha. Um, Hermes, we need to talk to Zeus. It's important."

Hermes' eyes were steely cold. "I am his messenger. May I take a message?"

The other demigods shifted restlessly. 

This wasn't going as planned. They needed to talk to the god in private.

"You guys," Percy said. "Why don't you do a sweep of the city? Check the defences. See who's left in Olympus. Meet Annabeth, Cress and me back here in thirty minutes."

Silena frowned. "But –"

"That's a good idea," Annabeth said. "Connor and Travis, you two lead."

The Stolls seemed to like that – getting handed an important responsibility right in front of their dad.

"We're on it!" Travis said as they began herding others out of the throne room, but one demigod still seemed reluctant.

"Pollux, go with them. Make sure you guys keep an eye on the entrances to the island," Cressida advised.

"But Cress-"

"Polly, I love you, I do, but this is something I've got to do alone. I need you to trust me. Please."

He looked very conflicted. "Just...be careful. Please."

"You too," she said as they kissed each other on the cheek.

"Take care of my sister Jackson," Pollux warned and Percy only nodded before the son of Dionysus jogged out of the throne room and they were left alone with Hermes.

"My lord," Annabeth said. "Kronos is going to attack New York. You must suspect that. My mother must have foreseen it."

"Your mother," Hermes grumbled. He scratched his back with his caduceus. "Don't get me started on your mother, young lady. She's the reason I'm here at all. Zeus didn't want any of us to leave the front line. But your mother kept pestering him nonstop, 'It's a trap, it's a diversion,' blah, blah, blah. She wanted to come back herself, but Zeus was not going to let his number-one strategist leave his side while we're battling Typhon. And so, naturally, he sent me to talk to you."

"But it is a trap!" Annabeth insisted. "Is Zeus blind?"

Thunder rolled through the sky.

"I'd watch the comments, girl," Hermes warned. "Zeus is not blind or deaf. He has not left Olympus completely undefended."

"But there are these blue lights –"

"Yes, yes. I saw them. Some mischief by that insufferable goddess of magic, Hecate, I'd wager, but you may have noticed they aren't doing any damage. Olympus has strong magical wards. Besides, Aeolus, the king of the winds, has sent his most powerful minions to guard the citadel. No one, save the gods can approach Olympus from the air. They would be knocked out of the sky."

Percy raised his hand.

"Um ... what about that materializing/teleporting thing you guys do?"

"That's a form of air travel, too, Jackson. Very fast, but the wind gods are faster. No – if Kronos wants Olympus, he'll have to march through the entire city with his army and take the elevators! Can you see him doing this?"

"Maybe just a few of you could come back," Percy suggested.

Hermes shook his head impatiently. "Percy Jackson, you don't understand. Typhon is our greatest enemy."

"I thought that was Kronos."

The god's eyes glowed. "No, Percy. In the old days, Olympus was almost overthrown by Typhon. He is husband of Echidna –"

"Met her a few years ago. Can't say I'm excited to see her again," Cressida murmured and Hermes grunted in agreement.

"– and the father of all monsters. We can never forget how close he came to destroying us all – how he humiliated us! We were more powerful back in the old days. Now we can expect no help from Poseidon because he's fighting his own war. Hades sits in his realm and does nothing, and Demeter and Persephone follow his lead. It will take all our remaining power to oppose the storm giant. We can't divide our forces, nor wait until he gets to New York. We have to battle him now. And we're making progress."

"Progress?" Cressida said.

"He nearly destroyed St Louis," Percy added.

"Yes," Hermes admitted. "But he destroyed only half of Kentucky. He's slowing down. Losing power."

"Please, Hermes," Annabeth said. "You said my mother wanted to come. Did she give you any messages for us?"

"Messages," he muttered. "'It'll be a great job,' they told me. 'Not much work. Lots of worshippers.' Hmph. Nobody cares what I have to say. It's always about other people's messages. Bah! Your mother said to warn you that you are on your own. You must hold Manhattan without the help of the gods. As if I didn't know that. Why they pay her to be the wisdom goddess, I'm not sure."

"Anything else?" Annabeth asked.

"She said you should try plan twenty-three. She said you would know what that meant."

Annabeth's face paled. Obviously, she knew what it meant, and she didn't like it. "Go on."

"Last thing." Hermes looked at me. "She said to tell Percy: 'Remember the rivers.'"

Cressida then stepped forward. "Lord Hermes, I have to ask, is my father alright? Well, as alright as he can be fighting a storm giant?"

For some reason, the frustration in his eyes seemed to fade at the sight of the girl who had suffered so much.

"Dionysus fought valiantly, there was a reason why he was made immortal," Hermes began and Cressida's face was already pale. "But unfortunately he was knocked out of the sky by Typhon somewhere in the Appalachians several hours ago. He hasn't been seen since."

She exhaled but it was a broken sound.

"Cress-"

"I need a minute. I'll go check on Pollux," she said as she pushed Percy's arm off her and headed for the door, not looking back. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 125 26
Percy Jackson greatest hero , demigod thought he would get peace finally after the Second Giant War though he kept some secrets of himself for the be...
3.3K 78 28
❛As the sun kissed the sea...their bodies melted into each other's❜ A story in which two troubled souls find safety in each other. Andromeda 'Andie'...
279K 11.8K 85
"Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood..." With one sentence, her life would be changed forever. Andy Collins could never have expected how her lov...