Never Second [Dance Moms]

By Tigercubchae

Nini is one of Abby's most prized students. She's hardworking, determined, and she wins. What more could Abby... More

Cast
The Downey House
Downey's L.A. House
~Season One~
The Competition Begins
Wildy Inappropriate
Stealing The Show
When Stars Collide
(a/n)How would y'all feel?
Dying to Dance
Dance Moms Reunion Thoughts

Cheerleader Blues

1.5K 31 12
By Tigercubchae

                    Layla                                     Nini

It was week three of the dance season. It was 7:30 am on a Monday and Robyn was sitting alone at the aldc front desk. Nini and Layla skipped school that day to get some early practice time in. They both complained about not wanting to go to school, so Robyn just let them come with her to the studio early that morning. While the girls worked with Abby and Gianna, Robyn took some time to help Abby with paperwork. It was no secret that the woman was one of the most disorganized businesswomen around.

After a few hours around 10 am, Abby emerged from the studio with a big grin on her face. Robyn chuckles. "What are you smiling about Abby?" "I'm very excited about this week. I prepared a solo for Layla to perform." "What!" Robyn smiled excitedly, nearly hopping out her seat. She didn't expect Layla to have a solo so early. "What made you decide to give her a solo this week?" "She's improving really well. Watching her in the trio, I wanted to see what she looked like on her own. If I'm honest, Mackenzie is more advanced than she is, but she'll get there. I want Layla to be on her A-game, so I'm going to give her extra privates this week."

Robyn nods. Agreeing that her daughter is not as advanced,but she's only five. She'll need some time to grow. "What's the style?" "Musical Theater." Abby answers. "I think she could pull it off and the dance I have planned is adorable. Here's the costume." Abby shows Robyn the costume she's ordering for Layla.
~

"Let's go girls!" Abby yells for the children to come into Studio A. It was 4:00pm and the rest of the girls were finally out of school. "Come on!" The girls all have a seat on the floor. While the girls were all dressed in proper Dancewear, Vivi came in dressed in a t-shirt.

"Vivianne, we're are your dance clothes?" Abby asked.
"In the car." The girl responded. Nini gave a confused look. Why would you come to dance without dance clothes? "You need to come dressed and ready to dance when you walk in the building." Abby tells the six year old.

"I wanna recap a little bit about the competition last week." The teacher starts. "Now...there are some things that went on that you maybe didn't know about." Abby points at Nia. "Your mom was upset about the costume." She points at Chloe. "And your mom was upset about the costume before you went on stage." She makes herself clear that she does not want it to happen again.
~

Robyn: It's not a surprise that we lost last week. The dance wasn't something that was appropriate for the girls and wasn't appropriate for the town we were dancing in. Other dancers were dressed and danced very conservatively and our girls didn't. Of course, Abby wouldn't take the blame, so she'll blame it on Holly and Christi.
~
"I want to congratulate Nini and Maddie for winning titles in their divisions!" The team claps. "Nini, I noticed you improved on your turns and I'm proud of you." The girl and her mom both smile with pride.

"Let's talk about what we're going to do this weekend." Abby begins talking about their plans for the week. "We're going to New Jersey and we're going to do an acrobatic/gymnastics routine."

She flips the chalkboard over and reveals this week's pyramid.

Nini Maddie
Chloe Brooke Nia
Paige Layla Mackenzie Vivi

Kelly gave an unimpressed look. They were doing an acro dance, but Brooke wasn't at the top of the pyramid. "Nini, because you won the title you'll stay were you are." The girl nods. "Maddie I moved you up next to her because you also won a title last week. Because of this, you two will be doing a duet!" The girls hug in excitement.
~

Nini: I can't wait to do a duet with Maddie! We've always been duet partners and she's my best friend in the whole world!
~
"The duet is called "Sisters" and it's cute and sassy. It's Jazz and a little bit on the easier side, however, it requires perfect facials and acting and you two can definitely pull that off. It's not your usual lyrical or contemporary dance." The girls squeal. They were beyond thrilled to do a duet and it was called "Sisters" which captured their relationship perfectly.
~
Robyn: Nini and Maddie's strongest styles are lyrical and contemporary.  Jazz is hard to win with, so I'm nervous. Of course the girls will be able to pull it off, but would it win against a lyrical duet? I'm not so sure.
~

Abby continued. "For this dance, I want you girls to imagine and embody a sassy, 1950s Hollywood star." She looks over at Robyn. "Robyn I want you to use some temporary hair lightener so Nini's hair could match Maddie's. I want them to match as close as possible." Robyn nods. "Yes ma'am, we'll get it done." "Good. I want it done the night before the the competition so it doesn't fade before then." The mom nods and writes it in her to-do list notes on her phone.

Abby turns to Layla. "Layla you will be doing your first solo." Layla smiles from ear to ear. "Really?!!" She squeaks. "Yes and it's called "I'm Cute" and it's well...cute." The little one looks towards her mom who was also beaming.
~
Layla: I'm really excited to have a solo! I really want to show Miss Abby what I can do and that I'm a good dancer like my sister!
~

Abby then turns to Brooke and points to her headshot. "Brooke, I expect you to help the younger students and I expect you to know the choreography first and be able to help everybody else." Kelly gives a small smile. Abby points to Paige and Nia's headshot. "Nia, Paige, you'll be doing the tumbling part."

"Vivianne, because you are new here and you don't know all our terminology, I'm going to work privately with you this week. So, you're going to do a solo at the competition this weekend." Abby says. "Alright girls, get up, get ready to rehearse." The girls all stand and get ready to stretch.
~

The girls began taking their usual acrobatic class, taking extra time to learn in order to do their dance this week. The moms all sat in their usual spots in the viewing room. "I need to know what it's going to take to get my daughter moved up on this pyramid. Why are Nini and Maddie at the top." Kelly starts.

"She actually pyramids the kids?" Cathy asks, slightly disturbed at the teaching method. "So Vivi was second line shit, and I didn't expect her to be at the top."

"There are lots of ways you can give out assignments where you do not have to put people in pyramids."Holly adds. "This is not the Egyptian era."

"So, why do you guys put up with this?" Cathy asks. "She's the best choreographer." Melissa says. "And I danced for her since I was around Nini's age." Robyn also answers. Cathy's looks shocked, mouth agape. "Since you were that young?" "Yep." Robyn pops the P. "I was practically raised by that woman." "That's insane!" Cathy says. "Yeah and Kelly knew her before I did."

"Abby doesn't ever want to hear anything else from anyone." Robyn said. "Yeah, she doesn't understand." Christi adds. "She's missing the mother gene." Cathy then goes on about how she feels about moms butting in at her studio, irritating the other moms.
~
Robyn: Cathy...I don't think she's going to fit in with us. Especially if she's going to go on and on comparing us to her studio. If your damn studio is that great, why are you here? Teach your own daughter.
~

"So...Layla's got her first solo!" Christi cheers. "Exciting isn't it?" She taps Robyn. "Very!" Robyn said. Holly smiles. "She's going to do amazing!"
~
A few hours pass by and Melissa disappears. The woman then comes back with a cake and a small gift bag. "Happy Birthday!" She cheers to Cathy and the moms all smile along, dropping their smiles when she turns away. They all knew that Melissa had to have a motive, because she never got a cake for anyone besides Robyn.

Cathy excitedly blows out the candles. "Yay!" She opens her gift from Melissa which were an array of gold bangles. "Let's cut the cake!" Melissa says. She passes everyone a slice. As Melissa's friend, Robyn knew her motive, but she decided to not pay attention to it and enjoy the free cake.
~

As the moms watch their girls. Kelly starts complaining about Brooke's pyramid placement. "This is an acro dance. Everyone knows that's Brooke's forte." "Absolutely." Holly agrees. "Brooke should be front and center." Kelly adds. Melissa speaks out. "Maddie's not front and center. She's in the middle row." "Oh, but she's at the top of the pyramid with Nini." Kelly said.

"Kelly, the pyramid is based on last week's events, not for this week. She can't place Brooke at the top just because it's an acro dance. Maddie and Nini both won titles last week, so they're at the top."

"I don't know, I'm going to go ask her." Kelly stands up. "Wish me luck." "Good luck with that." Robyn shrugs. Abby hates being confronted, so why would Kelly choose to do it. It was digging her own grave. Kelly of all people should know that since she's been with Abby longer than Robyn has.

"I don't think the pyramid has anything to do with the acro dance." Melissa says. "It doesn't!" Robyn shakes her head. "Kelly wants her to put her at the top based on something they haven't done yet."
~
When Kelly spoke to Abby, she couldn't get through to her one bit. Abby began complained about Brooke growing up and "brooding". Kelly tried explain that she's a teenager and it was normal, but Abby didn't care. "No matter what I said, there was nothing getting through to her."

"Girl you already knew it would be like that." Robyn shrugs.
~
Robyn: I feel like Kelly arguing with Abby was for no reason. She knew full well that she wasn't going to get anywhere, however, I do feel like Abby is being a tiny bit unreasonable when it comes to Brooke growing up. Sometimes you grow out of things and that's fine. When I was her age, I wanted to do music. It's normal to want to branch out. You can't do competition dance forever. After scrapping my album, I realized that music wasn't for me and focused solely on dance and on my family. Brooke should be able to try new things as well.
~

It was four days until the competition and this time, it was only Nini who was stayed from school. She had a meltdown when it was time for school, so Robyn brought her to the studio. She didn't understand why Nini didn't want to be at school, but she didn't have the energy to argue with her at 7am. Luckily, the girl was able to get in a private lesson from Abby and Gia. She even got her back tuck during her acro private.

Soon, the rest of the girls finished with school and Robyn picked up Layla from school. It was time to start the group dance, yet the Hylands were late. "Girls, does anyone know where Paige and Brooke are? Why are they late?" Abby asked. "Probably traffic." Nini said, hoping Abby would give them some grace." "Probably." Abby agreed with the girl. "Well, we don't have time to wait. Let's start without them."

Brooke and Paige ran in as the girls were practicing. "You guys are late, you too go warm up and watch what we did because I did a whole bunch."
~

Robyn sat in the viewing room with Kelly and Christi, watching the girls practice their dance. "Melissa and Cathy went to lunch today." Kelly started. "Melissa told me. She said Cathy's really nice." "I'm not surprised." Kelly laughed. "She got her a birthday cake." "And a present!" Kelly added. The three of them laugh. "Listen, I'm staying out of that. I don't have time for it." Robyn shakes her head and sips from her coffee thermos she had sitting next to her.

"I had a baby, like...a baby and she didn't even give me a card, so you know how much she likes me." Christi laughs. "Girl we all know about that little feud y'all got goin' on." Robyn chuckles.

She looks at Nini as she dances. "You know...Nini had a meltdown this morning about going to school." "Did she?" Kelly asks. "What was wrong?" "Do you think someone's picking on her?" Christi asks. "I hope not. I'd be damned if some brat was picking on my baby."

Christi puts her chin on her hand. "Did she tell you anything?" Robyn shakes her head. "She said nothing. She told me everything has been fine at school, but I'm not so sure. Before anyone could respond, Holly makes her way into the room with her son. Robyn then talked to Holly about the situation. Since Holly was an educator, she had great advice.

She told Robyn that Nini might have been dealing with something at school and that usually, kids won't usually tell adults if they're being bothered at school. Holly told Robyn not to press Nini about the situation and to go straight to her teacher.

Minutes later, Melissa showed up in the viewing room with Kenzie and Layla behind her.. "Hi girls!" "Hey." "How are you?" Holly asked. "I'm fine!" Robyn smiled and slides Layla into her lap. "Heard you had lunch with the Cathy." "Yeah." Melissa nodded.

"She's...funny." "Funny as in funny or funny as in weird?" Robyn asked. "Just funny, she has a lot of jokes." Melissa said.

"What does Cathy have to say? Does she like it here?" Kelly asks. "We didn't talk about it that much, but she did say that it was very unorganized." Robyn took minor offense to the comment. She dislikes when Cathy says those things because shes the main one helping Abby stay organized, so it offends her.

Robyn has Layla and Kenzie sit with Holly's son on the other side of the seats with her phone to watch Netflix, so they won't listen to the conversation and repeat it to Vivi. "Their studio is very competitive, but not the kids...the parents." Melissa said. Robyn leans back. Sounds familiar she thinks to herself. The ALDC parents are pretty competitive as well. "So what did you have to say about me?" Kelly half-joked. "Nothing." Melissa says bluntly. Clearly lying through her teeth. "Nothing, just husbands."

All the moms turn to her in confusion and Robyn squints her eyes suspiciously. "You talked to her about my husband?" Melissa smiled. "All of them." "What the hell did you talk about?" Christi said. "She just asked about husbands." "So, what did you tell her about mine?" Robyn crosses her arms.

"Oh she was very interested in yours." Melissa laughs. Robyn laughs uncomfortably. "Why is she interested in my husband?" "She just wanted to know how involved he was with the girls and their dance lives since he's working all the time."  "That is none of her business."

Robyn rolls her eyes. "Does she know you're separated?" She asked. Melissa turns away from her. "Yeah, but we're not talking about it though." "I bet." Robyn leans back in her seat. "I don't appreciate you gossiping about my man."

"It's not like I said anything bad about him. I told her that he's very involved in the girls' lives. I know Robert, I wouldn't talk bad about him." Robyn nods. "That's fine, but next time, if Cathy wants to know about anyone of our home lives, she needs to ask us to our faces."
~
Robyn: Melissa is one of my closest friend, so I didn't appreciate her gossiping about me and my husband. What goes on with me and my family is NOT Cathy's business.
~
Abby spent the rest of the day running the dance and nagging at Brooke for "dragging her feet". After some time, Brooke complained about hip pain, so Kelly took her to the Chiropractor.

Abby let the girls, minus Maddie and Nini to go early to focus on Layla. The moms weren't happy about the favoritism towards another Downey girl, but Abby wanted to make sure that Layla was ready. "Okay, so you're going to have a prop. Do you think you're ready for it?" Abby smiles. "Yes yes! I'm ready miss Abby!" Layla jumps up and down. "Good!"
~
Layla: Miss Abby wanted to work with me a little bit, so my solo could be perfect!
~

After a few hours, Abby teaches Layla her dance and she picks up really fast, however, she was very sloppy. The dance teacher corrected her a lot, but she was still unsure on how her performance would come out. She was just praying that the child wouldn't forget.

After another thirty minutes, Abby urges the girl to take a break. She sits the child on her lap. "Now, we're going to have a serious chat okay?" Layla nods. "Okay!" "I can't have you forget your dance, so practice, practice, practice! Get your mother to go over your routine with you." "Yes ma'am!" "So what do you say when you place?" Layla smiles. "Abby Lee Dance Company!" She cheers. "And choreographed by who?" Abby asks. "Abby Lee Miller!" "Good girl!" She pats Layla's back.

"Now, after this solo, it's going to be harder. I expect you to be just as good as your sister. I know you to pick up choreography like this." Abby snaps her fingers. "You have to be fast! If you want more solos, you have to be able to handle the practices. You're five, you're no longer a baby. You can't be a crybaby like Mackenzie and you can't run to your mother. Understand?" "Yes Miss Abby, I understand! I'll be a big girl!" Abby smiles. "That's what I like to hear!"
~
Layla: Miss Abby expects me not to cry, but I'm only five! I just get emotional sometimes!
~

After working with Layla, Abby and Gia both began to work on Nini and Maddie's duet. Layla went to go sit with Robyn in the viewing room after she was done. Abby turns to the girls. "Alrighty girls, this duet as to be sassy! There needs to be hips and face. I don't want slacking. "Yes Miss Abby!" The pair says in unison. "Alright let's get started."

Abby teaches them their duet. Robyn watches with skepticism. It was a little mature and she didn't like some of the movements, but after the events of last week between Abby, Christi, and Holly, Robyn kept her mouth shut.
~
Robyn: I'm not a fan of some of the moves, but I'm not going to put myself at odds with Abby. No matter how many times you argue, she won't change her mind so...why bother? That's why I don't understand these moms still decide to go challenge Abby.
~
The girls learned the pretty quickly, but the dance was still sloppy and Abby's wasn't impressed. "Girls! You know I expect more from you! Why is it sloppy! Start from the top! Do it again!" The girls start over from the beginning.

"A little bit better! Both of you need to straighten your knees during the walk-over." Abby gestures to Gianna to stops the music. "Listen to me! You girls need to be 100% synchronized. The entire time, you will be looking and interacting with each other, so you have to be on time! No one can be faster or slower than the other! When you enter the stage, you need to do it at the exact same time, when you go down into the middle splits, when you turn, you. have. to. be. in. sync. Got it?" "Yes Miss Abby."  Maddie nods. Nini smiles. "We got it!"

"Alright let me see from the top." Gianna starts the music and the girls begin to dance again. Abby beans with pride as the girls applied up her corrections, doing their duet perfectly the next time around. When the girls do their ending pose and the walk off stage, Abby applauds. "Perfect! This is what I want to see!" She pulls the both of them into an embrace and kisses Nini's head. "That was flawless. You see, you applied my corrections swiftly and without any issues. I don't know why it's so hard for the others." Abby shades.
~
Nini: Miss Abby is always saying that me and Maddie are better than the other girls and that I'm the best in the team and Maddie is right behind me, but I don't think that. We're all good at different things and I don't think I'm better than anyone at all. At least our duet is really good. It's super easy, but it's fun!
~
After the girls were done, Abby reminded Robyn about Nini temporarily tinting her hair to match Maddie's.
~
The next day, Robyn contemplated about what to do about Nini and her meltdowns when it was time to school, however, all of that came to a halt when she got a call the from the principal. He explained that Nini got into a fight on the playground and that she needed to come right away. Robyn immediately drove to the school as soon as she got the call. It didn't seem like Nini to fight in school. She wasn't very violent and always opted to talk things through. Either way, she was going to get the bottom of this.

The mom pulled up to school, hair slicked back into a low ponytail wearing a sleek, satin, gold pan suit with a skirt, and her usual diamond necklace. The click-clack of her heels could be heard as she strutted thought halls with her black Prada handbag.

She stops at the receptionist desk in the disciplinary office. "I'm here for Nicole Downey." The receptionist hands her a clipboard to sign and points her to the back of the office where there a row of seats outside the door labeled "Principal Reed". In the seat at the end, Robyn spotted Nini who sat unscratched. "Nicole Noelle Grace Downey." The mother approached her daughter with crossed arms.

The girl jumps at the sound of her mother's voice. "Hi mommy..." the girl says with a low whisper. "What where you thinking!" Robyn scolds. "But mom-" before Nini could speak, a tall, lanky, bleach blonde woman wearing a black pantsuit comes running in. "Where's my baby!" Suddenly, the principal's door opens and a girl with disheveled brown hair, a black eye, bruised arms, and a busted lip came wobbling out the principal's office.

Robyn looks at her daughter in shock. She could not believe her sweet girl did that to someone. "Jade! Oh my poor baby happened to you!" The blonde lady immediately cupped her daughter's face. The girl quickly pointed a finger at Nini. "She happened mommy! She beat me up!"

Robyn puts a hand on her hip. "Hold up now-" "No holding up!" The blonde mother interrupts. "Look at my daughter! She's all battered and bruised!" "I can see that ma'am, but who knows the full story." "I don't care about the full story! My kid was pummeled by your brat!"

"Brat!" Robyn exclaimed. "My daughter is far from a brat!" Before a screaming match started, Principal Reed comes out of of his office. The man was middle aged with  ginger hair and friendly green eyes. He had a worried expression on his face as he didn't want a fight to break out in his office. "Ladies please. Join me in my office, let's talk it out." Both sets of moms and daughters follow him into his office. The kids sit at their chairs as the mothers stand behind them.

"Nice to see you again Principal Reed." Robyn smiles. "Nice to see you to Mrs.Downey." Reed smiles back, shyly rubbing the back of his neck. The blonde mother glared at the pair. "Listen, I've called you both in because I wanted to chat with both of you about this. I've spoke to both girls about their sides of the story."

"Very well." Jade's mother who introduced herself as Eva crossed her arms as her lips form a thin line. "Jade...well...she has been picking on Nicole for months. In the incident reports, Downey has explained that the girl would constantly push her down, hit her, pulled on her hair, called her hair greasy, and relentlessly teased her." Reed continued. Robyn's mouth went agape. The mother almost bursts into tears hearing how her daughter has been treated without her knowledge.

"Blasphemy!" Eva shouts. "My daughter would never!" The principal takes out a few forms. "Well ma'am...she has. She's had in school suspension for a week after the first incident." "Wait, back it up." Robyn looks at Nini. "That little girl has bullying you and you haven't said anything?" "I'm sorry Mama...I just...I didn't want it to get worse." "It's okay...we'll talk about it at home, love." The mother looks back at the principal. "Sorry sir, continue." The man nods.

"We've had several reports of Jade physically hurting other students as well. I have the incident report documents as proof." Reed hands the mother the documents. The blonde mother looks at the paper in anger and then back at the man. "This is bull! Clearly my daughter has been framed." "Ma'am I'm afraid not." "Robyn steps in. "So, what happened today?"

"Well Mrs.Downey, Jade here told me that Nicole harassed her on the playground and that she was the one the getting picked on, however, the security cameras say otherwise." "Cameras! I didn't know there were cameras!" Jade exclaimed. "Yep." The principal turned his computer screen to show the footage of the playground.

Jade shoved Nini off a swing and pushed her to the ground. After she stood up, the girl pushed her down again. Jade then pushed her and pulled on her hair.. Having enough of the months of harassment, Nini tackled the girl as their classmates surrounded them to watch. "And you said that girl has been messing with my daughter for months?"

"Yes she has. We've given her in schools suspensions hoping she'd learn her lesson, however, as you can tell, it took being on the other end of the fist for her to learn." Eva crosses her arms in anger. "Either way, that girl was the one who left my daughter bruised. She should be punished."

"Excuse me! Did you not see that your daughter, but she hands on my daughter first?!"

"Yeah, but my daughter was just playing, your brat beat my daughter."

"Call my daughter a brat one more time! Try me! I'll be beating you myself!"

"Moms please!" Principal Reed intervenes. "Please don't fight. "Listen...Jade, I'll be suspending you for a week for the constant bullying and if I get any more reports about you, you'll be suspended for three more weeks." "What?!" The girl complains. "You can't do that!" "Yes I can. This has to end." He looks over at Nini. "Nicole, I still have to punish you for this as well." "Yes sir." The girl said. "I'm going to give you three days of in school suspension." The girl nods.
~

After both girls have received their punishments, both parties exits the front office. "This is bullshit!" Eva said. "Absolute bullshit! That principal doesn't know what he's talking about. My baby's an angel!"
"Angel my behind!" Robyn rolls her eyes. "Your "
"angel" has been tormenting my baby!" The blonde woman puts her hands on her hips. "Tormenting? Maybe your little baby is just too sensitive." "MY daughter is too sensitive? Yeah okay, whatever you say!" Robyn crossed her arms.

"My daughter is innocent and your kid's sob story isn't going to change that!"

"Did you not see the video? Your "innocent" child was caught in 4K!" Robyn scowls.

"That means nothing! Ugh, I saw how friendly you were to Principal Reed! There must be favoritism or something !"

"Firstly, it means everything to me. That's my baby being bullied and that girl has done it before! Second, Reed was my husband's high school friend, so yes, we're friendly, but that has nothing to do with this. Your child is not going to put hands on my child and get away with it!"

"Whatever bitch!" The blonde grunts. "What did you just call me?" Robyn gets closer to her. "I know you didn't just call me out my name in front of my kid and at a school."

"And I'll do again hoe!" The woman shoves Robyn.

Robyn simply clears her throat, straightens her jacket, and fixes her hair.
"I know you may love for your child to hear your trash mouth, but I don't like my daughter hearing that vulgarity." "I don't give two fucks. Clearly, you're just a coward who can't fight."

"A coward for what? Not making a fool of myself at my kid's school? As much as I would LOVE to drag you by your those greasy, fried, strings on your head that you call hair, but unlike you, I have class and common sense."

Robyn comes closer. "Just remember this. If that little girl lays a finger on my kid again...you'll be hearing from my lawyer. Let's go baby." Robyn grabs Nini and walks out the school with head held high. The other mom continued to to shout random things behind her until a security guard came to escort her out for cursing and yelling.
~

Robyn and Nini ended up going back into the school check out Layla since they already there. The three got in the car and Nini avoided Robyn's look from the rearview mirror. "You know fighting is not okay right?" "I know mommy. I'm sorry." Robyn begins driving. "I know you are baby. Although, fighting is never the solution, but I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself. Just don't do it again."

"Yes mommy. It won't happen again I promise." Nini said. Suddenly the car goes silent. It wasn't long before Robyn bursted out laughing. "Girl you tore that child UP! Baby girl I didn't know you knew how to fight like that." Nini shrugs. "It might've been adrenaline."

Layla looks confused. "What happened?" "I beat a bully!" Nini brags. "Yes, but don't ever do that Layla." "I won't mama!" Robyn shakes her head.

"Nicole you are so lucky you didn't get injured during that fight. You have a competition tomorrow and Abby would've flipped if you were hurt and couldn't dance." "I know I know, but didn't get a single scratch!" Nini smiles with pride. Robyn laughs. "You sure didn't! Y'all want ice cream?"

"Yay!!" The girls cheer.
~

That very night while Robyn began adding the hair lightening tint. "So, let's talk about Jade. When did it start?"
Nini thinks for awhile. "For a few months. She never bothered me until one day, I came with a new bag from daddy." "The Gucci one? I told him it wasn't a good idea to get an ten year old a designer bag." Robyn shook her head.

"It wasn't all bad. Everyone was saying how cool I was because I always had expensive things, but since then, Jade called me a spoiled brat who is only popular because of her daddy." "Well that just sounds like jealously to me. She's salty that she doesn't have a rich and famous daddy. Instead, she has a trashy mom with raggedy hair." Robyn laughed. "But don't repeat that." "I won't! I just feel bad."

"Why?"

"Because...It made me realize that everyone can't afford the things we can. Jade used to pick on this one girl named Gabi because she wore Payless shoes and wore the same outfit every other day." Robyn frowned. "Well that's not very nice." "It wasn't!" "So that day you came home without your shoes...did Jade steal them?" Nini looked down. "Not that time. She did steal some things, but Miss Corey would get them back. That day, I gave my shoes to Gabi because hers had a holes on them."

Robyn nearly cried. "Awwe baby that's so sweet." Nini smiled. "Jade always thought I was a spoiled princess that got whatever I want. She took my bags and my bracelets so I could be "humbled"...whatever that means."

"Well honey, she definitely was jealous... she's a bitter girl just like her mama!"

Robyn paused and removed her hands from Nini's hair.

"So, why haven't you told me you were going through that?" The mother than continued to apply the tint once again. "Because...I thought I could handle it. It stopped after a while after the time she went to ISS, but then she started again. I didn't want to worry you."

"I'm sorry you were going through that baby, but it seems like you knocked some sense into her real good." Robyn laughed. "I hope so, I don't want her to bother me again." "Trust me, she won't be messing with you for awhile my love and if she does, you need to tell me." "Yes mommy!"

Nini's hair didn't come out exactly like Maddie's but it was close enough. After four hours of messing with it, Nini was getting restless and Robyn was annoyed, so they let it go.
~

Layla Nini

It was the day of the competition.

That morning, Robyn oiled and pulled Nini's coily hair and into a bun and did the same for Layla, putting her hair in two. After they gathered their suitcases, makeup cases, and Glam'r Gear bags, they made their way the studio to board the bus. When the Downey's got there, Abby stopped Nini before she boarded the bus. "Let me see your hair." The girl stopped. "This isn't the exact color I want." Abby complained. "I know, but my hair isn't bleached, so it's knot showing too well, but it's brown like Maddie." The girl said as she played with her messy bun.

"I know, but it's not what I want. It'll ruin the dance if it's not how I want it to look." The girl nodded. "I know Miss Abby. I promise I wanted to make it how you want it." "Well it doesn't look like it." "We tried really hard to get it like Maddie's." Abby bent over to meet her eye level. "Well maybe next time, you should bleach it completely and then dye it light brown instead of tinting it." "If I did that, it'll damage my hair." Nini said softly.

"That doesn't matter. Your hair would be fine." "But it won't." Nini said. "My mom said it's not good for your hair." "Well mommy isn't going to make a star. I am. I'm the teacher. Me. I'm the one making you a star. I know what's best for you and your hair. Understand?"

"Yes Miss Abby."  The child said obediently. "Good. I don't want to hear you back talking me like this again." "Yes ma'am. I won't do it again." The girl smiled. "I promise!" "Good girl!" Abby hugged her.

"Now, sure your mother fixes it before you go on stage." Abby pats her  back and leads her into the bus."

~
Robyn: This weekend we're going to Starbound in Voorhees, New Jersey. I'm hoping since the competition is so close to New York, that the competition is fiercer to give the girls a challenge.
~

"Okay we're all here, let's go." Abby tells the bus driver with an annoyed expression. The moms were laughing to something behind her and it irritated her to no end.
~
Abby: The worst part about competitions are the moms. I wish they'd all stay home. Don't get me wrong, Robyn is a joy to have on the bus, but the other moms...
~

Kelly moved towards the front to talk to the bus driver. "Steve I know how I know you." She says loudly, annoying Abby even more. "You you drive the bus at the wine festivals and stuff." Abby rubs her temple.
"Oh that's right! We have seen him before!" Robyn adds.

After a few hours of driving, Abby began harassing the bus driver yet again. "Bus driver! If you go over here and go to the right , we're going to take two streets and hit the parkway."
Christi silently laughs. "Keep going straight."
~
Christi: Abby is an absolute nightmare to drive with. BUS DRIVER!! I mean, the guy wants to kill himself. He's thinking, how did I end up with the short stick to end up on this ride.

Robyn: When I tell you...Abby does not keep quiet. She's always trying to do somebody else's job.

Layla: it's always funny when Miss Abby talks to the bus driver. She's always like "BUS DRIVER! YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!" I feel like one day she might end up driving the bus herself !
~
"Omg hold still!" Chloe giggled as she applied mascara on Nini. The pair sat together on the bus, so they decided to do each other's makeup. "I'm trying, the bus is bumpy!" Nini tried to stay as still as possible. The bus hit a bump and Chloe ended up getting mascara on her cheek. The blonde burst into laughter. Nini gasps dramatically. "My face!" She laughs. The girl takes some off her cheek with her finger and dabs it on Chloe's nose. "Nico!!" The blonde squealed. After a minute of them trying to dab each other with mascara, Robyn put a stop to it before any of it got on the bus seats.

The girls cleaned off with makeup wipes and Nini took out her iPod touch. "Wanna listen to music?" She asks Chloe. "Yeah! I can't believe your mom got you an iPod touch." "She got it as a gift for winning the last competition!" "Lucky!"

Nini places an earbud in Chloe's ear. "You can look through my music if you want!" "Really?" The blonde asks. "Of course!" The dark haired girl hands her the iPod. Chloe scrolls through Nini's iTunes downloads. "Ooh, can you play Britney Spears! I love her!" Nini gushes. 

"Okay!" Chloe nodded and clicked on a Britney song. The girls sang along "Toxic", making up their own dances in their seats. "With a taste of your lips I'm on a ride!" Nini sang. "You're toxic, I'm slipping under!" Chloe continued. The song ends and new one plays. The words, "Boy you make me float" plays in their earbuds. "Who's this?" Chloe asks. "Oh, that's Aaliyah!" Nini answered. "She's amazing!" More 90s/early 2000s singers play on her playlist. "How do you know all of these old singers?" Chloe asked.

"My mommy plays all of these in the car!" Nini smiles. "And they're not that old!" "Yeah they are!" "Okay, maybe some are...but the songs are still great, listen to this one!" Nini clicks on "No Scrubs".  She dances along.

"So, no, I don't want your number No, I don't want to give you mine and No, I don't want to meet you nowhere No, don't want none of your time and
No, I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
Hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride
Trying to holla at me." The girl sings. Robyn chuckles. "Girl what you know about TLC?" "Mommy you play them in the car all the time!"
~

As they ride when on, the moms noticed Cathy wasn't there. "So Melissa, where your new best friend Cathy today?" Kelly asked. "I don't think she liked the bus." "Yeah, didn't seem like it." Melissa agreed.

After awhile, Brooke complained about her hip pain some more and Abby gave her a great advice on "grinding" her hip down. "Sound painful." Layla said a little worried. "Brookie are you turning into an old lady?" She asked. Brooke laughs. "No, at least I hope not, but don't worry, it doesn't hurt bad." The five year old nodded.
~
The journey to New Jersey finally ended and the girls and moms arrived at the hotel. They dropped their luggage off and made their way to the competition venue.

Vivianne and Layla's solos were up first. Robyn began doing Layla's hair and tying into into two buns and pinning it securely. Afterwards, she added bows. "You ready baby?" She asks the little one. "I don't know, I'm scared mommy. Would if I forget?" The child reasoned. Robyn leans over and kisses her cheek. "You won't forget. You spent a lot of time with miss Abby this week, so I know you're ready!"

"I know, but would if Miss Abby thinks I'm not as good as Nico. I want to be a good dancer like my sister." Robyn frowned. She didn't like that her daughter was comparing herself and at such a young age. "Your sister has more experience. This is your first solo. You're a great dancer and in no time, you'll win titles just like Nico." Layla smiled. "You just have to keep working really hard like you did this week." The girl nodded. "I will!" "Good! Now let's get your makeup done."
~

Nini began doing her own makeup to get ready for the group dance. After doing her eye makeup, she applied the false lashes and mascara as well as her blush and her lipstick. As the rest of the girls got ready, two women walked through the door. "Hi ladies! I'm Rita!" The brunette speaks. "I'm going to be backstage with you guys...I just want to go over a few things because we have some song titles missing."

Melissa looks at the paper. "We have "I'm Cute" by Layla first and then "My Pumps" which is for Vivianne..." confused, Abby looks at the paper. "No, it's not my pumps, it's bumblebee." "Bumblebee?" Rita questions. Robyn takes a look at the paper. "What is this?" "That's what I'm confused about." Melissa adds.

Abby asks Cathy about the change of music and she states that Vivianne was uncomfortable with the bee solo, she changed it to do a solo that she knew already. Robyn rolled her eyes. Did Cathy think that rules don't apply to her? "Listen Cathy, just because you didn't ride the bus, doesn't make you special. You can't just go around changing up solos because you want to. That may fly at your studio, but here, we don't do that crap." "This doesn't concern you, so you can mind your business." Cathy replied. Robyn raises a brow. "Doesn't concern me? I co-choreographed that solo, so it does concern me."

"Well Vivi was uncomfortable." "So, then tell Abby she's not ready to compete this time. It's that simple."
"It's fine Robyn, I'm going to change it to an independent entry." Abby turns to Rita. "Change it to independent." The woman nods. "You're changing it to independent? Cathy asked. "Yes." "She's not going to be going under your name?" Abby nods. "Yes because I didn't do this number."

"But she's- she's going to be representing you." Cathy said. "Not with a number I didn't do, in a costume I didn't design." "Okay, can I see you outside please?" Cathy asks. The two women made their way outside and had a chat. Abby agreed to let Vivi represent her as long as she wears ALDC colors for awards.
~

Robyn held Layla's hand as they walked to the stage. On the opposite side of the wings, Cathy was standing with Vivi. The other moms were cheering her on in the audience as Abby looked unimpressed already. Layla held her mother's hand tighter as the mc announced Vivi's number.

Robyn watched Vivi from the wings. She thought the dance was too easy for her, but she did great and didn't forget the dance. The other moms in the audience cheered for her and it was over. After awhile, it was Layla's turn. She was the last in her age division. A staff member brought out her chair prop. Layla gulped.

Robyn could feel her daughter getting nervous.
"Everything's going to be okay baby." She kneels down to her eye level and strokes the girl's cheek. "You're going to kill it! You're to out there and you're going to make me and Miss Abby proud! This is your first solo, so you gotta own it! Make sure to smile and have fun. That's the most important part." "Okay mommy!" Layla smiles, retaining her confidence. "If you do forget, remember to improv, just like Miss Abby taught you to do." Layla nods.

Robyn hugs her daughter and takes her hands. "Alright, mommy's going to be right here for you in the wings and Nico and Miss Abby will be cheering you on from the crowd okay?" "Okay, mommy!" "You ready?" The girl nods. "Great!" Robyn plants a kiss on her forehead. "Go enjoy yourself!"

Layla struts on stage and gets into her starting pose.

Her performance was well...cute! Her facial expressions were on point and she nailed her dance. She even had Abby smiling and recording her from the audience. Robyn was so proud of her baby. She did wonderfully in her first solo and the mom couldn't be happier. Nini was cheering her on as well, giving her sister a standing ovation. She was the loudest in the audience, hyping up her baby sister for every little trick.

As soon as she was out of the audience's view, Layla flew right into her mother's arms, receiving a shower of kisses. "I'm so proud of you my love! You were amazing!" "Really?!" "Yep! Absolutely awesome and Miss Abby smiled the entire time!"
~
Abby: Layla's first solo was a success. It was an adorable little number and I'm really glad she remembered it!
~
Both Robyn and Cathy walked made their back to their seats as awards began. The mc read from her paper.
"Alright, 7th Place is number 431, Vivianne Stein!" The other moms cheered along with Cathy. "Congratulations, who taught you number?" The mc asked. Vivi stepped forward. "Cathy Jean Nesbitt-Stein" the girl answered. "And who's your dance studio?" "Candy Apple Dance Center." The Abby, as well as the ALDC moms looked flabbergasted. Cathy lowered head has she felt Abby's burning stare.

Time went on and it was time for the top ten. Robyn starting fidgeting with her fingers as Layla's name had yet to be called. "Alright, and in 2nd Place: "432, Layla Downey!" The entire team cheered for the girl with Robyn and Nini being the loudest. Abby was beaming. She hated second place, however she had a soft spot for the little one and was proud that she placed high for her first ever solo.

The girl received her award. "And who taught you this dance?" "Abby Lee Miller!" Layla smiled. "And who's your studio?" The mc asked. "Abby Lee Dance Company!"
~

After awards, Abby's and Cathy had a private chat. Cathy wanted to move on, but Abby's as clearly upset, offended, and embarrassed. After their talk, Abby found Layla in the dressing room and gave her a big hug. "You did so well! I'm so proud of you honey!"

"Thank you Miss Abby! The child smiled." After seeing Layla, Abby pulled Robyn out the room to talk her.
Abby confided in Robyn since she was the only mom she didn't find annoying. After the mom was done prepping Nini's hair for her duet hairstyle, she and Abby went into the hallway.

Robyn noticed that Abby looked as if she was crying. "Why are you upset? What happened with Cathy?" "She embarrassed me Robyn. She utterly humiliated me." Abby complained. Robyn felt as if she was being a little bit dramatic, but she understood her frustration.

"Maybe, it was just an accident. Vivi is only six. She messed up and she'll get it right next time." "You don't get it. This is my livelihood, my reputation. You have a husband and great kids. I only have this, so for Cathy to go behind my back and change the solo and then blatantly letting Vivi say her own studio is humiliating. I feel insulted!" "I get that, the solo made me angry too, but I think the name thing was an honest mistake."

Abby crosses her arms. "I don't care what it is. She embarrassed me and it can't be taken back!" "Alright, alright, I get it. I understand you." Robyn didn't understand the fuss Abby was making, but hey, she's Abby. "I knew you would. You're the only mom here with a brain." Robyn ignored the comment that was a jab at her friends. "So, what are you going to do about Cathy?" "I'm going to get Vivianne and cut her loose from that woman. Cathy will only slow her down."

Robyn puts a hand on her hip. "That's impossible. She doesn't leave Cathy's side." "Exactly! That's the problem. You know how I feel about a mom who won't butt out and let me teach." The mother nods. "I feel that." She takes out her phone and checks the time. "I should get back. I want to finish Nini's hair." Abby nods.
~

When the two went back into the dressing room, Cathy was getting ready to leave. "You're leaving?" Abby asks her. "Yeah we're leaving, we have a long drive home. Not much longer than you guys." Robyn was baffled. "We came early to watch Vivi. Layla didn't have to be on for awhile." Cathy picks up her bag. "I know, I know. We just want to wish you guys good luck. I know you'll do a good job."

Cathy begins to walk out the door. "Good job, Vivi!" Chloe called out." "Yeah great job!" Nini called after." Layla hugs Vivi before taking a seat on Brooke's lap as the teenager helps her wipe her makeup off.

"Glad we woke up at six o clock." Kelly said sarcastically. "Six?!" Melissa exclaimed. "Five!" "Yeah, we were up at five as well." Robyn added. "Layla didn't have to be on for awhile. She was the last in her category to dance. We could've waited." "I'm offended. Like...I really am offended." Christi shook her head.
~
Abby: Those parents are not happy. They didn't have to be here for another 2-3 hours. Robyn didn't have to be here for another hour. They could've had a nice breakfast, taken their time and they all jumped out of bed to come support her.

Robyn: We all came out early to support Vivi. Layla was the last in their division, so we had more time to relax, but we came early. We came to support Vivi and Cathy had the nerve to just dip. How do you want your daughter to feel like part of the team when you don't even want to be associated with the team.
~

After a few hours, it was time for Maddie and Nini's duet. Robyn thought it was too easy, but Abby prioritized acting over the choreography. Robyn ended up touching Nini's hair, adding more of the tinting spray to her already light brown hair. She had Maddie stand next to her to make sure the color matched.
Abby analyzed her hair. "Much better."

After the moms got the duo's costumes on and makeup and hair done. Abby had the girls run the solo.
"Straighten your legs during that walkover Maddie! Nini you're a little fast there sweetie!" Abby instructed. The girls did their ending pose and strutted "off stage". "Great job girls. It looks great!" Abby smiles proudly.

Now it was time for the girls to get ready to go on stage. Chloe stood with them in the wings. "Good luck!" The blonde smiled. "Thank you Chlo!" "Thank you!" The girls both smiled. "I wish this could be a trio so you could dance with us." Maddie said. "Me too!" Nini agreed.

"Number 160, "Sisters" from the Abby Lee Dance Company!" The girls jumped in surprise as the mc announced them. The three did a group hug and the duet partners made their way to their ends of the stage.

(Nini starts on the left and Maddie starts on the right)

Robyn felt that the dance wasn't challenging enough, but since the duet would be in the mini category, they'll have an easy win. She just wasn't a fan of some of the moves they did, but the girls looked like they were having fun. Abby on the other hand, was proud as ever. She thought her favorite girls did the dance justice. She wasn't worried about the difficulty as well as it was a mini dance anyways.

As soon as the girls were off the stage, the Met Chloe for another group hug. After the hug, the met with Abby in the dressing room to get her critiques. "My girls! You did you great!" Abby brings the girls into a tight hug. "I feel like you girls really took my corrections and applied them. It was cute, it was fun. You did amazing and I don't have anything bad to say!" "Yay!" "Yess!" The girls cheered. The duo shared a hugs. "Alright, go get ready for the group." Abby tells them. The girls nod and leave.

Robyn brings Nini into her arms as soon as she ran up to her. "You did amazing baby! You girls did so good!"
The two then separated and Robyn hugged Maddie as Melissa hugged Nini. The girls both knew they had a win in the bag.
~
Nini: The duet was really fun and I feel like we definitely could win! It was easy, so I think we pulled it off well! Miss Abby looked happy so I know we did well!
~
All the girls were now getting ready for the group dance. It was the final dance the girls had to that night. Nini was exhausted and ready to be done, so she could go back to the hotel and sleep.

Nini noticed Brooke crying in the corner as Kelly held her. "She must really be in pain" she thought. As the girls lined to go on stage. Nini gave the teenager a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek for comfort and she hugged her back. The girls then made their way on to the stage and got into their starting positions.

The girls danced beautifully and Brooke managed to get through the dance despite her injury. Mackenzie and Layla even had a few parts on stage for the dance. Brooke being the lead in the dance had a lot of special parts to show off her contortion tricks, which the crowd applauded.
~
Abby: I'm really proud of the girls, especially Brooke. She had a rough week and she came through. She hit all of her tumbling passes, all her acro tricks and was a really great leader and a great role model for the rest of the kids.
~
It was finally time for awards. The girls let lose and had fun dancing on stage before the awards were announced. After the dancing was over, the girls sat together with their hands interlocked.

"Alright, for mini duet/trio...second place
..."Fire & Ice" by Center Stage Dance Academy!"

"First place mini duet/trio..."

Maddie and Nini gulped and held each other tighter. Abby would be PISSED if her golden girls lost. They couldn't blow it.

"Sisters by Abby Lee Dance Company!"

The girls jumped up in excitement and accepted their award. "Congratulations." The mc handed them their trophy and the girls shared a high five as they sat down.

Abby hopped out her seat with a smile and gave a high applause. She was absolutely proud. They were her golden girls for a reason. All she needed to make this a great night, was a win for the group dance.

"Ups and Downs" ended up winning a special judges award and Abby was happy, but she also need that first place win.

"Alright, we're down to the top three folks. Getting nervous?" The girls absolutely were nervous. The lost two weeks in a row and Abby would be furious if they lost again.

"Third place, it's going to 225 that's Happy Symphony."

"Second place is, Pages of My Letter."

"Top Junior Group." The mc paused.

"It's going to Ups and Downs from Abby Lee!"

The girls all jumped up with a smile to accept their award. Abby was beaming with pride. Your score was so close to a perfect score. Who's teaching you?"
"Miss Abby!" Chloe answered. "Miss Abby, you have great dancers up here." Abby smiles. "Now let me ask you, are you girls really best friends?"
"No!" Nini answered. "We're sisters!"

After awards were over, the girls took photos with their trophies. The girls were more than happy. It was as if they were walking on air. Especially Nini who was more than excited to get back to the hotel.

As soon as the Downey's made it into their room, Nini showered and went right to bed, making a mental note to finish her homework in the morning. As both the girls drifted off to sleep Robyn had a conversation with Robert about Nini at school. Needless to say, the man was FURIOUS and was two seconds away from catching a flight to Pittsburgh. Robyn assured him that Nini was now fine and she hopefully she wouldn't have to deal with that girl ever again.
~

A/N: I feel so bad 😭
I wanted to release this chapter weeks ago, but it never happened. Anyways, I added outfit photos in the chapter. Let me know how you guys like those. I was also told that you guys like the interviews so I kept them! Anyways, I hope you guys like the chapter!

Edit: Maddie and Chloe did an unaired duet this episode called "Everlasting Friends" but I chose not to add unaired dances to the chapters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 51 4
High achiever, don't you see? Dance Moms / Female OC Very Slow Updates 2024 © marlborocuts
9.3K 181 28
paige hyland. the forgotten dancer. the cast-aside talent. the one abby lee miller will never give a chance too. but what happens when one day she do...
54.8K 1.2K 29
"I'm now becoming my own self fulfilled prophecy." - MARINA Kianna King didn't know what she expected when it was rumored her dance studio was getti...
19.3K 471 58
Maya Mel Ziegler born 30 September 2002, has been dancing with Abby since she was four years old and her and her twin sister Maddie always fights for...