Of Silver And Gold (ONC 2023...

By CShiauJing

After seeking sanctuary in Harl for almost nine hundred years, Herbert Fletcher Zaeheri, the legendary vampir... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 7
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Epilogue

Chapter 12

11 2 8
By CShiauJing

Zhea

1718 hours

Zyair Havenglow

The evening sunlight broke through the rainbow windows, reflecting onto the silverwares that were covered with gravies and spilt wine. One could have assumed that a beast had fed itself on the royal table in front of the prince. Wiping off the stain from his lips, Zyair set the cloth on the table. He glared at the limp figure before him, setting both his palms under his chin to admire the swirling torment on his face. The boy's eyebrows furrowed every now and then, biting down his dried and cracked lips to suppress his pain. While he thrived in the sight, Zyair could hear the silent curses coming from Lorcan who stood next to him. Lorcan's grip set tight on his spear where his knuckles almost turned white. Zyair sneered, picking up the glass to gulp down his juice.

"What were you planning to do with the map? What exactly are you looking for in this forsaken castle?" Zyair questioned, running his eyes along the beautiful paintings by the wall and pillars before meeting Yueru's darkened blue eyes that mirrored the veins on his jawlines. "Is it the archives? Or the arsenal? Perhaps the laboratory? It wouldn't be for Zhea's money, am I right? It would only tarnish your reputation if news spread that a prince is stealing gold for another. What a sad and ridiculous ending would it be."

Reaching out his palms towards Lorcan, the other wasted no time in handing out the desired item. Zyair rolled the map open, studying its condition. He lifted his head from the map and stood up. Zyair dragged his boots across the tiles, executing a jarring sound that caused the prince to flinch. He stopped just before him, turning his head to the side to see the infected wounds. The irony of everything he knew. He never thought the books were real where one day, there would be vampires who could be allergic to the most common item in the room. Zyair wondered if there would be anyone who will be averse to wine or maybe even fruits. One sip or drip to ruin it all.

"I had my suspicions," the prince of Zhea spoke, trailing his fingers across Yueru's damp hair, and took a few steps backwards. "You were not the one standing out anyways. It was Herbert, the all-legendary vampire who is now slowly becoming a myth. His blood that heals the slightest pain in the world, and a heart raging with hellfire. Not forgetting his sword that could tear worlds apart."

"Whatever you have read or heard could just be a mirage. Your perception of him is not how others view him. No matter what you have seen or heard, those are just a speck of sweeping dust away from who he truly is," Yueru answered, wriggling his arms behind him only to feel them tightening around his wrists, waists and neck. "You might be a prince, but you do not know who he is."

"Do I not?" Zyair sneered, straightening his back and proceeded in adjusting the hem of his oversized blue robe. "Unlike Roa, Zhea has been evolving through centuries where even the oldest being could forget what it once was. You might have spent your nights admiring the legend, but there are some who suffered because of him, because of what he is. A curse, and a royal curse."

Zyair could see the disbelief lining up in Yueru's blue eyes. Even in pain, the prince was still defending the vampire who ripped his life apart. Revenge seemed to have begun its race on the track earlier than the release of the burning arrow. He could not find the thorn of satisfaction in his chest. Biting his inner cheeks, Zyair turned around to face the throne. A throne that was admired by all until red painted itself when he least anticipated it. This time, it could be the other way around. It must be. He must not and will not be the one who crumbles against his ankles. It would be fun to watch a change. His heart raced against the ticking time by the wall and the changing patterns in the skies. Should Lorcan be right, then everything could work out since he knew that Herbert would not dare to tarnish this prince's reputation with his. It was obvious to him.

"Your expectations are a little too high then, Prince Capture Me Without A Name," Yueru teased, thinking about how Ixant had taught him to provide nicknames for people who refused to provide a name before borrowing the books Roa's outdoor library had to offer. "Evolving means moving forward, but all I can see now is someone who is risking a flourishing future for a past they could not forget. Even the mountains aged by day, and the seas rose a little higher by time."

"Whatever you say, it matters not to me because all I know is that even angels have their rage. When the universe does not revolve to their desire, chaos will follow. Just like Herbert Fletcher Zaeheri, the legendary Golden Hands you never had a chance to witness," Zyair smirked, gesturing for his guards to take the prince away from his sight. "My mother was right, love feels like the rain. It descends and disappears anytime it wants. It is time some of you learn the true meaning of it."

With the new company being removed from the room, Zyair motioned for the doors to be shut, leaving only him and his trusted advisor to be there. He studied the map delicately, thinking of every possible item in Zhea that could be their new companion's target. Sharing almost four decades together, Zyair felt certain that they would not be searching for anything valuable.

"Do you think they are searching for the heart of Zhea?" Lorcan voiced out, leaning by the pillar. "The map is very simple. Despite its detailed mapping on the other parts of the castle, it seeks only one path."

"I could care less of what they want Lorcan. If I was not clear enough, I am setting a cheese box for a certain large mouse," Zyair expressed, picking up the bottle of wine set by his side table. "It should be clear enough by now."

Lorcan parted his lips, craving for a clearer picture, but they were eventually sealed by the obscene creature before him. 

== xxx ==

Zhea

1956 hours

Herbert Fletcher Zaeheri 

If help is a living being, it would be shaking its head vigorously with a quill noting down all the lessons that should be held especially for him.

Perching by the tree behind the small settlement, Herbert watched Erix and Arwan spending their time creating a new kind of herbal essence for their customer that had just left. He watched them leave before taking another quick peak to see if the couple was busy. Herbert knew that with every passing second, he was risking Yueru's safety to the royals. As he strolled past the night market, it made his suspicions even clearer when there was a lack of scouts after Yueru was gone. Most of the scouts were patrolling, completing their daily tasks unlike those from the earlier ones that lingered around. Herbert never needed help, but since he visited Zhea with Yueru, the future prince of Roa he had to think of the reputation the prince had to offer. He could not decide hastily like before when he was all free and wild. He is walking this path with someone who could make a change to kingdoms yet to come.

"Another hour? It's nearly dinner," Erix muttered, picking up the fresh mangoes and sniffing them. "We should teach her some self-control. Or else, she might just live in the sea for the rest of her life."

"Now, there is no need to be trouble about it. She is born part serpent which is why she has her attachments. Why don't you stop worrying and rest before you pick her up?" Arwan smiled, pecking his husband's cheeks lightly. "Let her know I am making coconut candies. I am sure she will race you home."

"You are making me regret. Encouraging my nephew to the party with his boyfriend," Erix replied. "He never got a chance to meet little Thera. I really miss having my blood family around. Especially someone as understanding as Yueru and my sister-in-law. I wish I could return back to Roa occasionally without someone dragging onto my spine."

Boyfriend.

Was that how others view his relationship with Yueru? Herbert felt his cheeks grow warm. He climbed down the tree, heading towards the settlement.

"Erix, dear, I enjoy their company too, but until both Herbert and Yueru get what they need for their mission, I suggest we do not interfere. They are walking on glass shards. Love, please don't misunderstand me. I care for your nephew. I care for the extinct vampire too, but whatever they are doing," Arwan sighed. "It could cost us a lot. Not just us, but Thera too. I am not ready to lose you or Thera, and this, this is not our path and we are not a part of their story. Just a tiny one maybe."

Herbert noticed that Arwan took a sharp breath before he proceeded with his speech carefully.

"You were once a part of the royal family. When they wish for someone to disappear, they can, just by a snap of their fingers. No warnings. Nothing," Arwan stated. "Most importantly, they have no skeletons. Only obliterated ashes."

He heard enough. He knew that if he set his shaking knuckles on the door, both Erix and Arwan would tear down the world to assist him in saving Yueru. Then, trouble might befall them and their child. It was enough as a sign for him. Besides, it would be simple. Since the attacker called him an old friend, then there must be one among the deserted years that they crossed paths. And, for someone to execute such a significant act, Herbert could only think of one specific person. Letting his guesses swim around his pond of memories, he made his way towards the castle.

The sound of a cheering crowd caught his attention, reminding him of the bets he had once witnessed during his younger days. Herbert passed the men and women who shouted intensely at the running mice on the table. They were holding a tiny cob in their small fingers.

This kingdom is a playground. A sanctuary for grown-ups who seek their inner child that was misunderstood and ascended the staircase a little quicker than the others.

Shaking his memories away, Herbert gritted his teeth together as a flash of blood-like features passed him. Herbert pinched the hem of his clothes, moving forward to the arch covered in silver and gold linings. With every step he took, he could feel his steps getting heavier and the air sunk thicker.

"Name and purpose of visiting the royal grounds," the guards questioned, standing before him.

Herbert picked the note out from his pocket and handed it to them.

"I am invited," he said straightening his back as his eyes flashed red within seconds. "And I demand immediate attention. I am a very impatient man."

"Herbert Fletcher Zaeheri," a strident voice announced from the gates. "Welcome. The prince is waiting." 

Word Count: 1,881 words

Cumulative Word Count: 21,083 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.6K 2.3K 51
Phillip is awkward at best. His hair's a mess, his style more than dated, and when it comes to picking up women, he fails every time. Phillip thinks...
19.4K 369 51
"I think Mr.knights has anger issues." Just as those words slipped out from my mouth Mr.knights turned and in the blink of an eye, I was slammed aga...
14 0 9
In a realm where kingdoms teetered on the edge of conflict and the arcane arts danced alongside the might of armies, General Alexander of Saillot rec...
340K 20.3K 59
||WATTY WINNER 2023🌟|| Two strangers pretend to be a couple to win a dumb bet. The wager: they must enrol in couples therapy and fool their counselo...