Pokémon x Male Reader-The Sou...

By BeanHam

Pokémon are incredible creatures. Some are terrifying, some are adorable, and others are something in between... More

Chapter 1-Wilderness Survival For the Short of Luck
Chapter 2-No Money?
Chapter 3-The Old Lady
Chapter 4-An Overly Dramatic Detour
Chapter 6-Held Hostage
Chapter 7-Force of Nature
Chapter 8-Parenting 101
Chapter 9-"Living Legend"
Chapter 10-The Ascension
Chapter 11-Surf's Up
Chapter 12-Brought Down to Mortal
Chapter 13-Sets of Threes
Chapter 14-Natural Disaster, Interpersonal Disaster
Chapter 15-Sand In Unfortunate Places
Chapter 16-A Poor Night's Sleep
Chapter 17-Hammer Of Judgement
Chapter 18-Cornered In the Open

Chapter 5-Thoroughly Schooled

2K 74 125
By BeanHam

A/N: I'm back, hope y'all are doing well.

My summer break starts next week, so I should hopefully be able to get out chapters on a more consistent basis in the following months. No promises though.

Also, I should probably establish now that this story is a mixture of anime and game canon, with some of my own stuff thrown in. Pretty much anything is fair game. Take of that what you will, and feel free to run wild with your speculations.

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, Rampardos would have Rock Head as a potential ability.

—————————————————————————

A cold breeze shook your campfire, scattering orange sparks across the ground near your feet. The crashing of the nearby waves echoed off the cliff sides far beneath you. The horn of a boat sounded in the distance.

At the top of the ruined fortress, you gathered your thoughts regarding your recent revelation. To think Genesect could have unleashed so much destruction. It was absurd. On top of all that, the world at large seemed clueless to the rogue Pokémon's identity and whereabouts. After its rampage, the Pokémon had just...vanished.

Perhaps they were captured by some secret government force, or by team Plasma themselves.

That was a sobering thought. You had no idea how the organization could've possibly done such a thing.

Perhaps they had their king talk the Genesect down, or...

"Aghh!" Your leg muscles cried out in agony as you shifted on your seat.

As it turns out, taking a break was certainly the right call. A day and half of virtually non stop walking was really starting to wear on you. Meloetta looked tired too, the Pokémon flickering in and out of unconsciousness as it leaned up against you.

No doubt the recent battle had taken quite the toll on it. Both physically and mentally.

You had almost died.

Again.

Let's hope that doesn't become a running theme.

The egg capsule sat within arms reach, soaking up heat from the glowing campfire. You honestly weren't sure if it needed the extra warmth. But you didn't want to take any risks, especially with the plunging temperatures that accompanied nightfall. If it ever got too cold, your backpack would provide sufficient protection for the egg. Whatever weird pocket dimension inhabited that thing allowed it to safeguard its contents against both environmental extremes and physical trauma.

But...it felt wrong to just shove the egg into some dark corner of your bag if it wasn't necessary to do so. What would happen if it hatched in there? Could it even hatch in there?

You shot out a hand to catch an unconscious Meloetta, the Pokémon having just fallen forwards in its slumber.

"Lo-Me?"

"Looks like it's past somebody's bedtime. You don't have to keep me company you know..."

The Pokémon gave you a worried look as it repositioned itself at your side.

"Hm? What's wrong?"

The Pokémon frowned, tapping one of its arms on your chest. "Me-Lo!"

"Me? I'll be fine, just gotta get some rest."

Meloetta frowned, obviously unconvinced.

"Well...this is supposed to be a partnership, right?" Your Pokémon bounced slightly, eagerly awaiting a response. "Meloetta obviously deserves to know too..." You awkwardly rubbed your neck as you tried to find the best way to broach the topic. "Screw it." You decided to go straight for the jugular. "I think...I think I figured out what destroyed your home."

"Lo-Me?" Meloetta's eyes widened.

"It's called Genesect. It's supposed to be a mythical Pokémon, just like you are." You gulped. "It's an ancient being. It was likely resurrected and modified in a laboratory by a group called Team Plasma, but I don't know much more than that."

Your Pokémon was oddly silent at the revelation. It started aimlessly towards the sky, tuning out the world around it. You then pulled Meloetta into your chest, the Pokémon wrapping its arms around your torso to return the hug.

You remained like that for a bit before the normal type sprung up. It puffed up its chest slightly in an attempt to appear confident.

"L-Lo. M-Me-Lo-Ta." The Pokémon trembled slightly as it forced out its words.

The exact meaning was lost on you, but you got the general gist of things.

And even the general gist was shocking, to say the least.

"Wait...Y-you want...you want to fight them? B-but you saw." Fighting one of the Genesect was a terrifying enough prospect. Each one was like a natural disaster given form.

And there were five of them.

"Lo-T-Ta." It seemed Meloetta was just as scared as you were. In spite of that...the Pokémon still found its resolve.

That meant you needed to find yours. "T-then I'll help you do it. If you're going to help me reach my goal, then it's only fair."

Even if it was a long way off...

Hell, you had no clue where to even find Genesect. But that was a bridge you'd have to cross in the future.

You continued, "We'll become strong, and then beat them together." You shifted your gaze to the egg briefly. "Me, you, and any other Pokémon we meet along the way."

"Me-Lo-Ta!" The Pokémon tackled you in a hug, rubbing its face against your shoulder.

And mere moments later...

You heard light snores drifting through the air. "You really were tired, huh?" Opening the flap of your tent, you gently set the Pokémon inside. Meloetta curled up against your pillow, obviously in a peaceful slumber.

Honestly...despite everything you had lost, moments like this made you truly grateful. Dropping to the ground next to the egg, you chuckled. "Here I am getting all sentimental again. Way to go (y/n).

The egg did not respond.

What a shocker.

Though in an odd way, it gave you a sort of comfort.

The fire crackled, and you watched as fiery sparks were occasionally launched towards the sky. "It's awfully quiet out here." Without an active Pokémon by your side, the world seemed a lot more frightening. Gently lifting the egg into your arms, you too retired for the night.

...

A foghorn sounded in the distance, and you jolted awake.

Meloetta remained motionless as you shakily worked your way to your feet. Your legs still felt like they were going to fall off, but that was obviously something that you were going to have to get used to.

Never skip leg day. It may come back to bite you.

Poking your head out of the tent, your cheeks were once again stung by a salty breeze. The cries of what you assumed were Wingull sounded through the air.  The sky burned a deep crimson red, which shone through the thick curtains of fog with an ominous glow.

Making your way back into your tent to fetch breakfast, you spotted your Pokémon stretching its limbs as it shook itself awake.

"Morning." You greeted as you began shuffling your way through your bags. "Anything in particular you want?"

"Ta." The Pokémon shrugged, before it began floating outside. Grabbing a bag of Pokéchow, you followed it.

Meloetta seemed transfixed by the sunrise, which was admittedly quite pretty. "Cool, right?"

"Ta-Lo!"

You frowned as you turned your gaze upward. "But...I think that's also a bad sign."

"Lo?"

"Isn't there some old saying? Like...red sky in morning, take warning, or something?"

Your Pokémon curiously tilted its head as you began preparing breakfast. "I think it's some old sailors saying," You elaborated. "Means you'll get bad weather that day."

Meloetta frowned, seemingly deep in thought. "Lo-Ta!"

You grinned as you patted it on the head. "Ha, you're right! We've fought through worse. Honestly...what's a little rain?"

With that, you dug into breakfast. Granola was getting old fast though, you'd have to look into diversifying your meal options.

...

As it turns out, 'a little rain' was not quite an apt description of what you were experiencing now.

The trek had been uneventful up until midday, where trickles of water began to fall from the sky. It was actually quite peaceful, but of course that didn't last long.

Trickles became a steady shower, and then...

Groudon must have insulted Kyogre's mother or something, because it felt like the legendary Pokémon had risen up from the depths of the ocean with something serious to prove.

Water came down from the heavens in a nonstop downpour, drenching you as you ran through the wilderness. Booming thunder shook the very earth you sprinted across, lighting up the darkened sky in a tremendous burst of light.

Where was Rayquaza when you needed it?

To add insult to injury, it was just barely too warm for it to freeze. That meant you were getting pelted with a nasty slush that turned the dirt paths into treacherous mud pits. Time and time again, you nearly tumbled down hillsides as you tried to escape the downpour.

You had stored the egg into your bag as soon as the weather had intensified. You didn't want to end up accidentally dropping it or something.

"Me-Lo-Ta!" Your Pokémon had stopped, gesturing for you to come near it.

"Meloetta! What's wrong!" You shouted over the rain as you made your way over. 

The Pokémon's eyes began to glow, and a dome of purple light manifested around the both of you. "That...wish I had thought of that ten minutes earlier."

You reached into your bag to pull out a towel, removing some of the excess water from your face. "Good thinking...you think you can hold that until we find shelter?"

The Pokémon nodded as it nestled into your shoulder. You then continued your trek forward, your damp clothes weighing down on you and sticking to your body. The sound of rainfall echoed throughout the psychic shield.

Though the barrier provided good protection, the streams of water running down it made it difficult to see. Thus, you were forced to move at a Sliggoo's pace.

You soon found yourself trudging through a particularly rough patch of trees, and just then...

*Bang!*

Something struck your barrier. You spun around so fast that Meloetta almost fell off your shoulder.

"A-Are we under attack?" You gritted your teeth. "Again! Seriously?"

You looked to your left.

Nothing.

On your right.

Nothing to see there either.

*Bang!*

Another sound drew your attention, but this time you were able to recognize where the noise was coming from. You turned your gaze towards the bottom of the barrier, and...

A small Gligar was beating its claw against the psychic shield, obviously trying to get your attention. The Pokémon seemed to be trying to communicate, but the barrier muffled its cries.

Meloetta raised an arm, and the barrier receded, giving Gligar an opening about two feet off the ground.

"Gar! Gligar! Gli-Gli-gar! Gli! Gligar!"

"H-Hey slow down...what's wrong?" The Pokémon latched one of its claws onto your pant leg, pulling you in the direction you had just came from.

"Lo-Me?" Your partner waved a hand at the Pokémon.

"Gar-Gli!" The ground type replied. "Gligar!" Gligar bounced around frantically, desperately tugging on your leg.

"What's wrong Meloetta? Is it cold? What's..." The ground type was shivering slightly, obviously drenched.

"Lo-Ta!" Meloetta also began tugging on your arm.

Guess you were safe to follow it. "Then let's go!"

Shaking some of the water off its body, Gligar took off in a very shaky flight. The Pokémon would occasionally stop and wait for you to catch up, still bouncing around in a panic. You took after it in hot pursuit.

Well, more like lukewarm pursuit. Your breaths became ragged as you struggled to keep pace. The added weight and discomfort from your soaked clothes wasn't helping things either.

A small cave soon came into view. The cavern was situated far above the ground, far too high for you to access without any special equipment or Pokémon. The only other means of gaining entry was a climb up a sheer rock face, which just wasn't happening. Gligar peered out from the mouth of the cave, gesturing for you to hurry along. "Meloetta! Can you lift me up there?"

The Pokémon nodded. The psychic barrier disappeared, and you found yourself being levitated toward the cave entrance.

Gligar had vanished, presumably having retreated into the darkness. You breathed a sigh of relief, glad to finally have a roof above you.

"Scooooooooooor!"

Before you could fully gather your thoughts, a Gliscor swooped down from the roof of the cave. With it came a horrid screech that tore at your ears. You and Meloetta let out a chorus of terrified cries, as you lept backwards out of fear and shock.

Unfortunately for you, that leap backwards did not bring you to safety. Windmilling your arms, you tried desperately to prevent your fall.

You did not succeed, and soon felt yourself toppling over the edge. Fortunately for you, Meloetta grabbed onto one of your legs, narrowly stopping you from tumbling to your death. Frigid rain stung your face as you were left dangling upside down.

"Gli! Gligar!"

"Gliscor!"...Scor?"

Cries of the two Pokémon echoed from the cave above you as Meloetta finally got a steady hold on you.

As the Pokémon pulled you to the edge of the cave once more, you were greeted with the sight of the Gligar from earlier pulling on the tail of its evolution. Gliscor was massive, its long scorpion-like tail flicking up and down behind it. A huge pair of leathery wings gave it a look that was both intimidating and regal. However, the Pokémon currently looked more confused than anything, regaling you and Meloetta with an open mouthed stare.

Upon closer inspection, you realized the reason for Gligar's panic. Gliscor was covered in quite a number of deep lacerations, and they looked quite fresh. A particularly nasty wound had nearly torn one of its ears off.

"Scor?" The larger Pokémon shrugged apologetically, rubbing the back of its head with one of its claws. It seemed Gliscor had momentarily forgotten the condition it was in, as it flinched in pain as it ran a pincer along one of the cuts.

"Gligar!" The smaller Pokémon stomped on the ground in frustration.

You sighed as you began digging through your bag. "Guess that's why little bro was worried." You cast a cursory glance at the storm outside. "Hopefully they'll let us wait it out here."

Meloetta had moved in an attempt to mediate with the two Pokémon, and they seemed much calmer now as a result. In spite of that, Gliscor took a cautious step backwards as you raised the potion towards it. It raised its tail threateningly, the massive stinger promising no mercy if you attempted any funny business.

And you had no intention of starting any.

"H-Hey now, this is just to heal you." With a bit of prodding from Gligar, the evolution inched forward. A few sprays from the potion, and the injuries began to heal. Flesh knit itself back together, exposed muscle disappearing bit by bit. Gliscor closed its eyes in relaxation, its ears folding back as the pain began to vanish.

Due to the severity of the injuries, it took three whole potions to get the job done. You made a mental note to get more when you got to Striaton.

As soon as Gliscor was healthy, Gliscor wrapped its arms around the larger Pokémon. Small tears appeared at the edges of its eyes as Gliscor patted it on the back.

"Lo-Me. Lo-Ta?" Your Pokémon waved an arm at the pair.

Gliscor let out a scratchy sigh as it shook the smaller Pokémon off. "Scor."

Scrambling to its feet, Gligar gestured for you to come forward and sit. Leaning against the cold walls of the cave, you watched as the two wild Pokémon attached themselves to the ceiling.

Gligar then clocked out instantly, occasional snores echoing around the cave walls.

The storm raged on, mighty gales of wind blowing stray raindrops into the mouth of the cave. You took the time to ring out some of your wet clothes, Meloetta doing the same with its silk scarf. Your Pokémon let out a small yawn, and pulled itself into the side of your coat to doze off.  With nothing much else to do, you began to fiddle with your Xtransciever.

Thank goodness the thing was waterproof. Inga would've lit your ass up if you busted the one piece of expensive technology you owned. The signal was real shitty out here, but you eventually were able to tune into some radio frequency. Some wildlife expert was talking about the recent disaster, yadda yadda yadda-

Oh! There was something about rare Pokémon sightings in Lostlorn forest. Rangers had closed off-

*(click)*

Aaaand the signal was gone again. Meloetta had abandoned consciousness too. Even the Pokémon's snores were musical in nature...it was quite amusing actually.

You looked up to Gliscor, who had been absentmindedly watching you the whole time. Its yellow eyes were certainly animalistic in nature, but the intrigue hidden beneath the surface was not lost on you. "Is...it not comfortable with me here? I guess Gligar did kind of just...invite us in." The Pokémon was watching your Xtransceiver quite intently. "You want to take a look?" You waved the item towards the massive bat.

"Gli." The Pokémon lowered itself to the ground, peering over your shoulder.  You booted up one of the apps that came pre-downloaded with the phone.

You were greeted with some goofy looking matching game, probably intended for children in all honesty. Once you matched two Pokémon, a cute little animation of that same creature would pop up the screen. Juvenile it may have been, but Gliscor seemed pretty amused. It let out a raspy chuckle once a few of the local species you recognized started appearing in the game.

You figured now would be a good time to break the ice.

Gliscor was four times weak to ice, it would certainly appreciate that.

Shitty jokes aside... "Hey there...names (y/n)."

No response. The Pokémon tilted its head curiously as it gazed down at you.

You continued "Sorry if we're intruding on your turf. If you want us out, I understand..."

"Scor." The Pokémon shook its head, wagging a claw at you as if scolding a child. Perhaps you were being a bit too polite- you had just healed Gliscor, after all- but getting into fights with fully evolved Pokémon had ended up with too many close calls for your liking.

You certainly weren't up for another near death experience today.

Gliscor scratched its chin with a claw, before gesturing in various directions with its tail. "Gli-Gliscor!"

"You want to know...where I'm headed?"

"Scor!" The Pokémon nodded, seeming quite impressed by its own communication skills. You were too, given that this Pokémon presumably had very limited human contact.

"We're heading up to Striaton. That's the nearest city up north," you clarified. At least that was the plan, given nothing derailed you again.

You chatted with Gliscor a little longer before the rain began to fizzle out. It ended as suddenly as it started, and trickles of sunlight began making their way into the cavern.

What an odd weather phenomenon. Who knows what could have caused it?

Meloetta and Gligar soon began to stir. Your Pokémon tried desperately to keep the sunlight out of its eyes as it shuffled deeper into your jacket.

You stood up and stretched your arms as you gazed at the brightening skies. You turned to your new friends. "Thanks for having us, we really appreciate it." Meloetta gave a small yawn as it smiled at the pair of Pokémon.

You turned to leave, but-

"Gliscor!"  You were stopped just before you could exit the cave. You raised an eyebrow at the ground type.

"Scor. Gliscor." Meloetta and Gligar both nodded along to whatever the Pokémon was saying. Though you were now able to garner Meloetta's intentions even more clearly when it spoke, that ability did not extend to Pokémon who were not your own.

"Is...Something wrong?" Meloetta quickly returned to you, paying your shoulder reassuringly. Your confusion was only magnified when you felt a pair of limbs wrap around your chest.

A pair of limbs with massive claws attached.

You turned back to face Gliscor. "Is it...hugging me? I mean...I guess I did help it."

"Gli-scor." The Pokémon laughed raspily at the presumably amusing expression you now wore. Gligar then mimicked the action, wrapping its own arms around Meloetta.

You turned to Gliscor once more, the Pokémon only gesturing with a claw towards the entrance of the cave. "Wait...Wait a damn minute."

The pair of flying types unfurled their wings, waiting in anticipation for you and Meloetta to make the jump. "Are you sure? Meloetta can carry the both of us down just fine, you know..."

"Gli! Gligar!"

"Guess this is their way of paying us back." You took a few uneasy steps towards the cave entrance, gazing down at the sheer drop below. You gulped, "No sense in refusing a good deed."

You weren't worried about Gliscor being unable to support your weight. Smaller Pokémon could easily carry people, but still...

You reassured yourself that the egg would be fine in your backpack too. Even then...

"C'mon (y/n), quit stalling."

"Lo-me!" Your Pokémon smiled from down below you. You paused.

If you fell, then Meloetta would certainly catch you.

You took the leap of faith, a pit forming in your stomach as wind tore against your face.

The ground was fast approaching, you pulled your eyes shut.

And when you opened them again...

You were soaring well above the treetops, the forest blurring beneath you as Gliscor shot through the air. A mist had formed over the forest, giving it a truly mystical feeling. Small beams of light shone through the clouds, illuminating the brightly colored forms of Pokémon playing beneath the canopy. A flock of Rookidee soared above you, a series of sharp cries accompanied the cackling of Gliscor as you passed through them in a burst of wind.

Your stomach churned slightly, and Gliscor's claws gripped rather tightly onto your chest. It was a bit uncomfortable, but despite that...

Oh, it was glorious. The damp winds against your face. Your hair pushed backwards by the speed of Gliscor's flight. There was that childish feeling of freedom and elation that you hadn't felt in a long while.

A familiar voice drew your attention, and you spotted Gligar and Meloetta beneath you. The flying type was clearly exerting itself to keep up, but the excited grin it shared with its evolution was proof it was also having the time of its life.

Meloetta laughed as Gligar performed a series of complicated flips and dives. You turned to Gliscor. "Ahah...could we-uh-skip that part?" Perhaps it would be fun, but your stomach simply had limits that your heart did not.

The Pokémon gave a slight nod in response, adjusting its speed slightly so as to not leave the others behind. The flight became much more peaceful after that. Terrain that would have normally taken hours to navigate was breezed past in mere moments.

You passed by various rock formations and streams, all teaming with Pokémon. Colorful blobs moved back and forth, yet you could not make out any distinct forms. It seemed the recent storm had brought with it new life.

Minutes passed, and the making of civilization became visible on the horizon. Striaton city was quite impressive, at least by the standards of this world.

It seemed that the Pokémon world was less developed than your own. Castelia was the exception, not the standard. Very few regions possessed even a single city that could rival it in scale. And despite that, Castelia was still far and away from matching places like New York or Tokyo.

Gliscor dipped low as you neared the city, allowing you to get a much better view of the area. The outskirts of Striaton consisted of sprawling gardens decorated with ornate fountains and clear streams that fed into the inner parts of the city. Said city center was densely packed with towering stone brick buildings. Several Courtyards were scattered throughout the city, and you spotted the unmistakable forms of Pokémon doing battle within them.

"Scor!" Gliscor began circling above the town's local Pokémon center, the building once again made of materials that better complemented the town's aesthetic. A sleek orange roof sat atop a sturdy looking stone structure. Tall stained glass ran up the length of the structure, depicting beautiful images of starry skies and what looked to be members of the Munna line.

Gliscor and Meloetta appeared overhead, and your legs soon met the ground once more.

A nearby pair of children regaled you with a set of bewildered stares. "In all fairness...that was quite the entrance." You grabbed a nearly light fixture to steady yourself.

"That...that was so cool!" You turned to the pair of children, only to see a young girl bouncing up and down. Who you assumed to be her brother looked quite baffled at the display.

You chuckled. "I try my best...but you should be thanking Gliscor here for the idea." The Pokémon puffed out its chest, putting on quite the display of ego in front of the pair of children.

Meloetta soon drifted over to your side, letting out a few giggles at the scene. Scooping the Pokémon up in your hand, you turned to Gliscor and Gligar. "Thanks for the lift guys. Are you sure there isn't anything else you need?"

"Gliscor!" The larger Pokémon shot you a confident grin.

"Gligar!" The smaller Pokémon chorused. Gligar then gave a small wave as the duo prepared to take off.

Not even a moment later, the pair of Pokémon shot towards the cloudy skies. Gligar laughed as it flew loops around its evolution.

You bid adieu to the children, before making your way out of the cold.

...

After booking a room at the Pokémon center (and taking an all too necessary bath), you had asked the staff there about the location of the Pokémon school.

While the institution was often seen as a place for newbies, in reality the school offered a wide selection of classes and knowledge that catered to trainers of all skill levels. Hopefully, there would be a class or two pertaining to raising young Pokémon, or taking care of eggs.

You clutched the Egg capsule in your arms as you made your way inside the building. Pokémon eggs also needed to be registered officially at the Pokémon Center, so that trainers would not go over the legal carry limit of six when the egg inevitably hatched. It also helped to provide a safety net in case of Pokémon theft, which is something you weren't too keen on risking.

The Pokémon school was quite an impressive sight, definitely a major upgrade from the one room structure it was in the games. The multi story building was constructed of worn red brick, and more intricate marble carvings surrounded the wide entranceway. It looked as if there were large fountains outside, but they must have been deactivated due to the cold.

Eager to escape the frigid weather, you hurriedly made your way inside. The foyer was equally grandiose, with paintings of various Pokémon spanning the length of the walls and the ceiling. Meloetta gazed up in wonder at the artistry, dumbfounded by the sheer scale. You made your way to the front desk, where a tired looking young woman greeted you.

"Hello Sir, how can I..." The woman paused to let out a yawn. "How can I help you today?"

"Uh, Hello. This is my first time here, so forgive me if I'm a bit lost..." You trailed off, unsure of what to say next.

"Well...let's see your ID then." You handed the woman your card, and she punched something into a nearby keyboard. "Well then (y/n), what were you looking for today? Looking to do research about that egg of yours, hmm?"

"Sort of." You replied. "Are there any classes related to raising young Pokémon, or at least Pokémon eggs?"

"Let's see here..." More fiddling with the keyboard. "Well, you're in luck. Our very own Dr. Lanster will be teaching a class for beginners at 7:00 tonight. Most of the trainers registered also have eggs of their own." She shifted her gaze onto you. "Does that work?"

"That sounds great." You had about an hour to kill before then. Surely there was something to do here.

"Alrighty then (y/n) , Your class is in room 411." A nearby machine spit out a badge with your name on it, which you then fixed to your chest

You then made your ways through the hall of the school, you and Meloetta admiring the scenery. "Place is like a museum, shame it's a little...empty." You had seen very few people in the halls, and most of them appeared to have been staff members. "Maybe it's just because we're in the off season."

...

Your travels had eventually brought you to a grandiose library. You probably could have gotten lost in there for hours, but that's besides the point. You found a few guides related to training Psychic types, and another handy encyclopedia related to more general Pokémon biology.

You'd have to lay out a more formal training plan soon. Perhaps these books would give you a good starting point.

Which brought you to now, where you sat in a mostly empty room waiting for your instructor to arrive. Meloetta sat on your lap, eagerly awaiting whatever the teacher had in mind for the day.

It seemed not even Pokémon could prevent the education system from getting its cold hands on you.

What a shame.

"At least it's actually something I care about now..." You placed a hand on the glass of the egg capsule. "I'm doing this for you, Y'know."

"Psst! Hey!" Including you, there were only seven people in the room. You were the oldest one here, which left you feeling a little awkward. "(y/n)!"

You jerked up in attention, some kid was waving his arms at you from a few rows over. "How does he?" You looked down at your name badge. "Oh."

"I asked you where you got your egg from?" A few of the other kids noticed the commotion, and all eyes in the room were now on you.

"Some old guy gave it to me. Said it was my responsibility to take care of it." No sense in putting Alder's name out there. The other kids would probably start asking all kinds of questions, and you were a bit too tired for that now.

"So...It's like some kind of mystery. You don't know what's inside of it?" Some other girl piped up.

"Pretty much," you responded. " I didn't think to ask." Besides, where was the fun in that?

"Neato," the kid from earlier jumped back into the conversation. "My old man gave me mine." He patted an egg that was sitting in his lap. "Should hatch into a Durant someday."

"A bug? That's lame. My egg is gonna hatch into a Dragonite." Some kid with a missing tooth thumped his chest.

"A Dragonite?" Now some other girl was shouting from the edge of the classroom. "An egg can't hatch into a Dragonite, you stupid lout. Why don't you go find the rest of your teeth, and then maybe Alica will finally talk to you-"

"Alright Everybody, simmer down!" An individual who you assumed to be Dr. Lanster made his way towards the front of the lecture hall. A Kangaskhan wasn't far behind, the normal type towering over everybody in the room.

Everybody in the room fell silent, staring up in wonder at the titanic Pokémon. "I'll be your instructor today...Now!" Everybody stared up at the man. "What can you all tell me about Pokémon eggs? It doesn't have to be specific, just more general knowledge is fine."

"Uh..." The kid who questioned you earlier spoke out. "Don't...some eggs take longer to hatch than others."

"Correct!" Dr. Lanster replied. "The Pokémon center has a list of all known egg cycles. For those of you who don't know when your egg is going to hatch, just look for basic signs of life. Listen for noises, or feel the egg to determine if there is movement. That's a surefire sign that your Pokémon will hatch soon!"

As the doctor was speaking, you felt your gaze drifting over to Kangaskhan . The Pokémon's baby had poked her head out of the pouch, and was tapping on her mother's chest in a ploy for attention.

"Mr (l/n)?" You looked up to Dr. Lanster. "You already have a Pokémon of your own, I see." He gestured to the Pokémon sitting on your lap. "Have you anything to add?"

"Well...let's see..." You had bred a few Pokémon in the games before, and you understood some of the basic mechanics involved. "Can't....Can't Pokémon acquire special moves through breeding?"

Dr. Lanster nodded. "Indeed, these so-called 'egg moves' are a well documented phenomenon. Even in the wild, you will often find one of these moves in the repertoire of the Pokémon you catch." The man paused to scratch his chin. "This move is passed down over various generations, and is often an immense source of pride for the Pokémon that possess them. But to find more than one of these moves on a Pokémon...is extremely rare in the wild." Dr. Lanster paused for emphasis. "If a Pokémon possesses several of these moves, then they were likely bred by humans for that very reason."

The baby Kangaskhan was now wandering around the front of the room. After giving a quick nod to the Pokémon's mama, Dr. Lanster lifted the tiny Pokémon into his chest. "Now, when it comes to raising Baby Pokémon, there are a few things you have to keep in mind...Ah! Yes, young lady?"

Your attention was drawn to another student who had her arm raised high into the air. "Um...Dr. Lanster. I thought Kangaskhan was a one stage Pokémon. It...that...a pre evolution?"

"Not quite...though I do understand your confusion. When some Pokémon, like little Kangaskhan here hatch-"

The Pokémon in question let out a little squeak as it pulled on Dr. Lanster's shirt.

The man chuckled. "They aren't fully grown, as you can probably tell. It would be quite odd if larger Pokémon like Bouffalant or Drampa popped out of the egg fully grown. They start out in these tiny forms, and it typically takes a few months to reach their full size. Unlike evolution, you won't witness the phenomenon of glowing light when these Pokémon grow. Their DNA remains the same throughout their lifespan, compared to the massive changes in genetic code when a Pokémon evolves."

The man took a moment to collect his thoughts before continuing. "Now, back to what I was saying before. Kangaskhan, Tail Whip!"

The Pokémon gave a wag of her tail, and then promptly slumped down. The baby Kangaskhan then let out a yawn as her mother moved to reclaim her. Dr. Lanster gave the elder Pokémon a quiet thanks as the baby Pokémon was safely stored away.

"The baby Kangaskhan is a mere two days old. As you can see, using even a single status move tuckers her out quickly. Her stamina should increase rapidly, but I'd abstain from ordering your Pokémon to use any damaging moves until at least day five." A few whispers echoed throughout the room. No doubt some people were disappointed about not being able to battle right away. "Don't try anything foolish. You all have a bright future ahead, and it'd be a real shame if you screwed up here. Should you have any questions about whether or not your Pokémon is ready for action, consult the local Pokémon center first." The teacher's statement was punctuated with sharp looks from Kangaskhan. "Take some time to get to know your Pokémon. Play some games with them, and find out what brands of food they prefer...Any questions?"

In the following moments, you and the other students battered Dr. Lanster with all sorts of questions.

In line with what you had heard prior, a baby Pokémon should be battle ready within a week or so. Dr. Lanster did recommend two weeks instead, as Pokémon raised in the safety of human hands could afford to wait longer before battle. He recommended doing basic physical training in the time leading up to then.

Actually, that was something Meloetta could also use. It was mostly a special attacker now, but being well rounded was always a good thing.

Dr. Lanster also handed out a pamphlet that contained information on various supplies that were good for baby Pokémon. It even had a discount code for the Pokémart store.

You soon bid goodbye to the rest of the class, giving a wave to Kangaskhan as you made your way out the door. The Pokémon gave you a toothy grin in return.

...

After class was dismissed, you took the time to purchase some specialized food for whenever the egg hatched. The brands catered towards baby Pokémon were especially cheap with the discount, which was quite nice to see. You also took the time to select a thermal blanket for the Pokémon in the egg. It was still very cold out, after all.

Once you were back in your room, you took the time to sort your inventory. Cracking open one of the books about Psychic Types, you were pleasantly surprised at what you found. The book contained instructions on how to develop certain techniques, which would give you a jump start on developing Meloetta's telekinesis and barriers. You were so wrapped up in the book that you didn't realize how late it was until you caught yourself yawning. You stood up, making your way over to the desk in the corner of the room.

Before bed, you had one more thing to do. The rooms at the Pokémon center provided computers, which left you ample time to research whatever you liked.

Meloetta drifted over, curiously written on its face. The Pokémon then rested its chin on your shoulder as you booted up this world's equivalent to google.

A quick search of 'Team Galactic' yielded no results. Not too surprising, an organization like that would likely only benefit by staying out of the public eye. You didn't even know Cyrus's surname...but you at least did remember his hometown, mainly because of the irony involved. 'Cyrus Sunnyshore' was your next search, and also appeared to be a dead end.

However, a certain article soon caught your attention. Titled 'Canalave Library Receives Generous Donations From Renowned Businessman', the image included with the story without a doubt revealed your person of interest.

The leader of team Galactic was, in all honesty... completely unrecognizable. The hair and eyes matched up with what you expected, but the face...

Cyrus looked happy in this picture. He wore a genuine smile on his face as he shook hands with the owner of the library.

The man was the epitome of stoicism in the games. Cyrus probably couldn't have forced a smile if his life had depended on it. Either this man was different to the one you knew...

Or, he was just an actor. You stared at the man in the black suit on your screen.

A terrifyingly good actor.

Cyrus Akagi was described by the article as the most upstanding of citizens. He was said to be brilliant, altruistic, and overall just a good guy. You looked up more and more about him, and that was always the breakdown of his character. He was responsible for funding many historical breakthroughs in Sinnoh, and had even been endorsed by the champion herself.

Another search of his name revealed numerous connections to other businesses enterprises, all under the name 'Galactic'. Just the one word, no "Team" attached.

Cyrus had connections everywhere. To the league, to historical sites.

Hell, he even had a college named after him. Apparently he had saved them during a financial crisis, and they had renamed themselves in gratitude. A promotional photo showed Cyrus standing in front of a group of students. Among them, you spotted a pair of familiar looking women, with blazing red and deep purple hair respectively.

"Lo-Ta?"

"This...is who I was looking for. It's just...not what I expected." You sighed, slumping down in your chair slightly. Meloetta patted you on the back as you stared at the ceiling. "Hey, Meloetta." You looked towards your partner.

"Me-Lo?" The Pokémon tilted its head.

"If things go like I expect them to go...we'll probably end up crossing paths with this guy." You gazed at the man on your screen. "He could be very dangerous. Stay on guard around him."

"Lo-Me-Ta!" The Pokémon patted itself on the chest.

"Alrighty..now let's see about the other guys." You didn't have to go far in your search for results on Team Plasma. They had an official website and everything, right on top of the first page.

The front page of the site had Plasma's mission statement, along with photos of the organization's members. It looked an awful lot like a typical volunteer organization. Members posed with supplies they had gathered to help mistreated Pokémon, and the overall vibe seemed designed to foster a sense of community.

And yes, they were wearing the over the top knight outfits.

And no, they weren't all gingers. A bit disappointing, that would have been quite funny to see.

The site even had an area for aspiring volunteers and members. Fill out a couple of forms, and boom! You were in, just like that. The site contained various other pages as well. There were schedules detailing the times and locations for upcoming speeches by the Seven Sages, and links to academic studies regarding the dynamics between people and Pokémon.

What caught your attention the most was a page just labeled 'Stories From Our Friends.' Clicking the page, you were greeted with an image of an Emolga. The Pokémon was looking at the camera with a teary eyed expression. It was very similar to the ones dogs wore in those animal shelter ads back home. The page contained several anecdotes, mostly about the mistreatment of Pokémon at the hands of their trainers.

This was nothing too surprising for you, as there were several clear examples of this in various Pokémon media. Trainers like the original owner of Ash's Charmader came to mind.

That didn't make it any less terrible though. It became all the more alarming when you remembered that this was all a front for Plasma, and the real mastermind didn't give two shits about "Pokémon Liberation."

They had gone out of their way to resurrect an extinct Pokémon, just to turn it into a living weapon. Even if most of the grunts weren't privy to the organization's true plan, Plasma ultimately wasn't much better than Team Rocket.

However, as you scrolled, the stories took a...darker turn. For all their hardiness, Pokémon were still living beings. They could be overworked, and the results were...horrifying.

There were numerous systems in place to prevent things like this, but some shit was bound to have slipped through the cracks.

As you moved to another subpage, anger turned to shock and disgust.

"That's...I don't even..." In a flash of clarity, you realized Meloetta was also getting exposed to all this. It certainly didn't need that now, and neither did you in all honesty. You quickly exited the site, taking a deep breath as you pulled Meloetta into your side.

You realized that for all the flaws in their ideology, People like N did have some legitimate ground to stand on.

"H-hey." You looked down at your Pokémon. "I would never hurt you. You know that, right?" Meloetta looked a little confused about the whole thing, but smiled back at you, letting out a content hum as it wrapped its arms around your torso.

You shook your mind away from what you had just seen. Getting agitated before bed was never a good thing. Besides-

You picked up a brochure for the Striaton gym Cafe, thumbing through the worn pages.

-you had quite a day ahead of you.

...

Much like the Pokémon centers, Pokémon gyms were also multi functional. They of course served the obvious purpose of hosting gym battles. However, they also doubled as general training grounds. Trainers of all skill levels were welcome, and each gym offered specialized training programs related to their type specialty. A flying type gym would help teach aerial movement, and the like.

Pokémon gyms were an invaluable resource, one that often went underutilized by young trainers. In all fairness, a gym and the leader that occupied it was often quite intimidating for beginners. This was especially true when more experienced trainers were training on the premises. The various Battle Clubs run by the Don George family were much more popular for casual battling.

As the technical "first" gym in the circuit, Straiton naturally tried their best to cater to fresh trainers. Attached to the main gym was a massive, and you mean massive restaurant.

Actually, calling it a restaurant was a bit inaccurate. It was more like a bunch of restaurants stacked on top of one another, mixed in with a garden and a museum. The place was nine floors tall. Floor one was for trainers with no badges. Floor two was for trainers with one, and so on.

Each floor consisted of a dining section and a training section. In the latter area, you could spar against fellow travelers, or against the staff who operated the gym. But before then...

What were they cooking?

"Holy hell, this is-mphff-good." You choked out in between mouthfuls of food.

"Me-Lo!" Your Pokémon sang in agreement, tearing into its own lunch. It had dribbled some food into its silk scarf...you sincerely hoped that was machine washable. If not...at least it would add character.

The service at the restaurant was just as great as the food. They had even provided an extra chair for the egg you had with you. How polite.

You quickly polished off your meal, leaning back in satisfaction.

You didn't know how a simple meat and vegetable stew could have  been transformed into the greatest blessing your palette had ever received, but god damn had they done it.

"Might have to get something to go, no doubt it beats that pre-made stuff." You'd had enough trail mix for a while, that was for sure.

"Excuse me, sir?"  Your server had returned, gazing down at the two of you with quite the amused expression on her face. "Is there anything else I can get you? A dessert menu, perhaps?"

"Dessert? You bet your ass."

"Me-Lo! Lo-T-"

Your Pokémon suddenly began hacking up a storm.

"Ah-Ah!" You quickly rushed over, and a few slaps to Meloetta's back quickly solved the issue. The Pokémon took deep breaths as it steadied itself.

"You okay?" You muttered. Your Pokémon nodded, taking a few gulps of water. You then turned to your server. "A desert menu would be great. Thanks."

Your server nodded, a worried expression on her face as she moved away. You frowned at your Pokémon. "Don't talk while you eat, you could've-"

"Well!" A smug and high pitched voice sounded from behind you. "Here I thought trainers were supposed to teach their Pokémon proper manners. Your Pokémon could have been seriously hurt!" The girl let out an exasperated sigh. "Hah, you should be awfully ashamed of yourself."

You turned to the girl who had found your business all too interesting. Curly purple hair, purple eyes, and a white dress that went a bit past her knees.

You let out a sigh, racking your brain for some form of retort. "Man, screw you and your stupid haircut."

"How dare you! At least I actually care about my appearance! You look homeless, and I think-" The girl began quite the enthusiastic rant, which you of course tuned out completely.

Actually, she looked quite familiar now that you thought about it. "Say..." You caught her attention once more. "What'd you say your name was."

"It's Burgundy Cabernet. Try not to forget that, you-" You tuned her out immediately, the girl hamming it up once more.

You rubbed your face in exasperation. "That's right. Wasn't she like...Cilan's rival?" Your knowledge on the black and white anime was a bit shaky, but you'd seen bits and pieces of the show. "Isn't she supposed to be like...aggressively French, though?"

Or was it Kalosian?

"Who really cares, she's making one hell of a scene." You couldn't even make out what she was saying anymore, her words stringing together in a glob of noise indistinguishable to the human mind.

You vaguely made out her describing her own Pokémon as "a flawless gift the heavens" and "the pinnacle of class", but that was about it. It seems the world has determined even a peaceful meal to be too great of a mercy. "She's also getting in the way of dessert, which is completely unforgivable."

Your server returned with menus, which briefly halted Burgundy's sermon. You finally had an opening.

"H-Hey! Let's try and...start over. I'm (y/n), and this is Meloetta." Your Pokémon gave a small wave. "Look...you're a trainer, correct?" You asked.

She frowned back at you, gesturing to the lone Pokémon on her belt. "Obviously."

You coughed in slight embarrassment. "Well...that makes things easy. Why don't you let me and my Pokémon finish our meal. Then we can duke it out."

This was a win for both of you, what trainer would turn down a potential battle?

The girl's face twisted into an expression of shock. She remained silent, tapping a foot for a moment before answering. "Fine." She huffed. "Meet me in courtyard six when you're finished."

You let out a sigh of relief as you plopped down into your seat.

"Me-Lo?" Your Pokémon gazed at you from the opposite end of the table.

"I don't know, some people are just like that." You frowned. "I hope you're up for battle. Sorry that it's right after we finished eating."

In all honesty, you considered outright ducking Burgundy. It'd be a bit funny, you had to admit.

You then realized this was your first opportunity for a real trainer battle. Yes, you had sparred with Inga numerous times. But those were less actual battles, and more you just trying to keep Meloetta conscious while her Pokémon gave half-assed attempts to take it down. Meloetta hadn't actually been fully KO'd in any instance.

Your desire for petty revenge didn't outweigh your desire for a real fight. "And besides...I did sort of escalate that whole confrontation."

The rest of the meal passed without any issue. But you would have welcomed any drama so long as you got those cakes at the end. They were the perfect mix of sweet and airy. It was probably worth going to the cafe just for the desserts alone. With a small sigh, You paid the bill. Even with a trainer discount, your wallet was crying for mercy.

You then made your way towards this "courtyard six." Despite the complex maze-like layout of the restaurant, you and Meloetta soon found your way.

The courtyard itself was actually quite large, the picturesque sanctuary nestled towards the back of the floor you were on. The ground was made of mossy stone bricks, arranged in circular patterns. Various flowerbeds and miniature fountains adorned the sides of the area. The courtyard was open to the floors above, and various windows and balconies allowed diners of the upward floors to watch battles down below. A twisting network of staircases and bridges led to these upper floors. You spotted a few Pidove tucked underneath one of the bridges, eagerly chirping as you walked past.

While the sides of the area were quite cluttered, the center was definitely open enough for an amateurish Pokémon battle. Speaking of-

"Took you long enough." Muttered Burgundy. The girl was fumbling with the Pokéball in her hands. Actually, now that you thought about it...she did look quite nervous.

You raised an eyebrow at her. "Is this your first trainer battle or something?"

"That's-that's none of your business!" Burgundy nodded, taking her spot on the opposite end of the courtyard. She gave you a sharp glare. "Once I take you down, the Striaton gym is next!"

"Meloetta?" Your Pokémon locked its eyes with your own. "You ready?"

"Lo-Me!" Your Pokémon stepped forward, determination in its eyes.

Burgundy tossed her Pokéball forward. "Oshawott! Come on out!"

A flash of blue, and the opposing Pokémon materialized. Oshawott was just as you had expected it. The water type looked to be a standard member of the species, its bright coat and fluffy fur indicative of good health. The little otter regarded you with a look of concern, before turning to its trainer for instruction.

Before the match could begin, noise from above caught your attention. It seemed some of the diners above had noticed the impending battle, and were gazing down curiously at the four of you. Hushed whispers were exchanged among the guests.

Higher floors were reserved for more experienced trainers to mingle and train together. In other words-

-you had quite the audience for your battle.

No pressure.

Meloetta remained steadfast. It had been through worse.

The same could not be said for Oshawott, the Pokémons head darting back and forth in response to the noises above.

"H-hey...O-Oshawott! Just remember what I taught you, and we can beat this guy." Burgundy's voice was shaky, but her words seemingly gave Oshawott the confidence it needed.

"Osha! Oshawott!" The Water type took a stance.

"You ready?" You called out to your opponent.

"You bet!" Burgundy called back. "Oshawott, give them a Water Gun!"

"Meloetta! Move!" You shouted in response.

Oshawott took a deep breath. Moments later, a stream of water erupted from its mouth.

It was...

It...well...

It was pretty unremarkable.

Oshawott's Water Gun wasn't horrible per se. The stream was quite dense, and it sustained its rate of fire quite well. But compared to what you'd been dealing with...

The Water Guns Inga's Jellicent had launched were blazing fast, so much so that even a slight hesitation on your part would have resulted in Meloetta getting struck. Compared to that, Oshawott's attack was practically moving in slow motion.

It obviously wasn't fair to compare a veteran Pokémon like Jellicent to Oshawott. But the takeaway here is that dodging the starter Pokémon's attack was virtually effortless for Meloetta.

Your Pokémon did just that, flicking back and forth across the courtyard as Oshawott tried desperately to hit its target.

Sensing that this wasn't going to get her anywhere, Burgundy cried out. "O-Oshawott. You've got this! Strike with Tackle, pronto!"

The water type took a stance, its body glowing dimly with a dull white energy.

"Meloetta! Psybeam!"

Your Pokémon's attack struck Oshawatt as soon as the starter Pokémon began its leap. The water type was instantly wrapped in a curtain of purple light.

Oshawott then crumpled instantly, the energy surrounding its body vanishing as the Pokémon hit the ground.

It did not get up.

"Oh...that's....unfortunate." You heard more voices from above, and even a few scattered laughs. "This is...really awkward...Damn it all."

Burgundy was stunned, mouth wide and eyes bulging as she stared at the downed Pokémon. Ugly bruises began to appear across Oshawott's exposed skin.  Meloetta gazed back at you with an expression both parts worried and confused.

The girl then rushed to her fallen Pokémon, desperately shaking it in a futile attempt to wake it. "Great...now I feel kind of bad. She's a bit of an ass, but public humiliation is definitely too far. Oshawott didn't deserve that either."

One-sided matches were inevitable in a trainer's career. You knew that much. Guess that was something you'd have to get used to.

Hell, You were the one who suggested this battle. She probably thought you'd done so solely in an attempt to embarrass her.

How were you supposed to know Oshawott would collapse like a house of cards?

Perhaps you could try and placate her. You tried to muster up some sort of speech. A real...inspiring message! You opened your mouth. "Well...uhh...Y'know...Damn."

Suffice to say, you weren't too successful.

The girl glared at you, tears brimming in her eyes. "I-I won't forget this! Next time you see me..." Burgundy choked on her words for a second. "I'll make you regret what you've done!"

And then she ran off, disappearing back into the restaurant. You sighed, running a hand through your hair. Meloetta frowned, and you gave it a pat on the head. "Good work. That...that wasn't your fault. I just... overestimated our opponent."

Your Pokémon's frown faded slightly at that.

...

After your little showdown earlier, you had made your way back to your room. You'd won your first trainer battle, but you weren't left feeling particularly satisfied afterwards.

But hey, the day wasn't all bad. At least you got a nice meal out of it.

You gently shuffled the Pokémon egg around in your lap, pressing your face against it in search of any signs of life. The egg was unnaturally smooth, with no bumps or cracks of any kind. It was warm to the touch, but not unpleasantly so. Handling it was actually therapeutic in a sense. You found all your negative thoughts drifting away as you cared for the unhatched Pokémon.

The egg was pretty damn heavy too. After you took it out of the capsule, you realized the piece of machinery weighed almost nothing by comparison.

It wasn't necessary for the egg to remain in the incubator, the device only served to enhance the Pokémon's comfort by providing extra heat. Not to mention an extra layer of safety.

But just in case, you had cranked up the space heater in the room.

You continued moving your ear up and down the egg.

"No movements." That meant you still had some time until it hatched, at least according to what you had read online.

Then you heard it. The makings of a steady heartbeat deep within the egg.

"Hey Meloetta...c'mere and listen." The Pokémon's in question floated over, placing its-

-ear? Did Meloetta even have ears?

Well, whatever.

Your Pokémon must have heard the sound too, based on the fascinated expression it now wore.

"And when the egg does hatch..." You felt a smile creep into your face. "I'll be ready."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.5K 1.1K 27
[Male Reader x Pokémon] The world of Pokémon. A world filled with monsters capable of mass destruction and violence. Somehow Humanity created a way t...
7K 292 29
Rosa is a girl with the dream of becoming a pokestar studios actor. But will she conquer her stage fright to achieve her dream? And will being stuck...
9.1K 540 25
A cold and bitter wind. An evil organization craving retribution following their failure two years prior. And a teenage girl brave enough to stand up...
463 3 46
In a remote corner of Unova, a Pokémon village hides from the omnipresent, barbarous humanity. Through cooperation, they flourish despite their small...