Love Happens

By sunrays20

On a lavishly decorated altar that exuded opulence, two people took their wedding vows. One, adorned in a red... More

Plot
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty one
Chapter thirty two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter thirty six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter fourty
Author's note and Chapter forty-one (end of book one)
Book 2, chapter 1 and Author's note
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13 (Last Chapter)
Announcement
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2
Announcement
Second book

Chapter twenty-three

2.6K 124 27
By sunrays20

Mumbai

Poonam assembled her bags in the hall. She finished crying a long time ago. In there were her grandmother, grandfather, and sister, Riddhima. Her father was nowhere around. She coated her sadness with a brief smile as she hugged Riddhima.

"Take care of yourself. Don't use my bed. I don't like it when people touch my things even when I'm not around." she informed her while pulling away.

"I won't. But I'll miss you a lot." Riddhima's tears were endless. She didn't ever want to be separated from her sister. Poonam's palm caressed her cheek as she passed her another smile. She moved to her grandmother to say her final goodbye.

"My adorable baby!" her grandmother placed soft kisses on her face with love. "Don't worry. I'm coming this Saturday itself to visit you. We'll have lots of fun together. There's no way I'm going to let you spend any weekend alone."

She forced a smile in response. She didn't really mind whether anyone visited her or not. Already, her father has made her coldhearted.

"I love you my child." she engulfed her in a hug.

"Love you too." she put a hand against her back for a while before they pulled from each other. She continued walking towards her grandfather whose eyes softened for his granddaughter.

"Take good and extra care of yourself, Poonam. I'll ensure you live in the highest comfort." he placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

She sighed while nodding. "I trust you."

They embraced each other for some time.

"Make sure Shraddha doesn't wake up." she mumbled in his ear. Her hateful voice first made his eyes to be widened, but then, he smiled.

"She'll anyway be discarded like trash after the elections so even if she wakes up, she won't live in the house for long."

"I'm going." she waved her hand at everyone. They all escorted her to the car. She weaved in, and the driver started driving. She sighed after her house became far away from them and tumbled back against the seat.

The car halted.

"Are we here yet?" she lazily asked.

"No Ma'am. There appears to be an accident. I'll go and check." the driver told her and went out. She hissed in annoyance while shrugging because it wasn't one of her family involved, so there was no need to care. She closed her eyes, humming a random song and aboding into a calmful world when a harsh knock on the window startled her. She opened her eyes and lowered the glass down. An old woman was there. The old woman had a trembling body with pale skin and dark spots all over her face.

Poonam gulped slowly from fear. She was very close to her. She could strangle her if she wishes to and her driver wasn't there to save her.

"May you be blessed, my child. May your hands be blessed as you give me what I'll take to my family to eat."

Poonam saw her hands that were resting on the half-open window glass.

"Get your filthy hands off my car." her voice was rude, loud as it gathered not only the attention of the others, but also one specific young adult boy who had a clean shaved beard, dark brown orbs, and a full hair.

"Get it off. You don't deserve anything. Poor people like you don't deserve to be in the presence of rich people like me. And you dared to ask me for charity. We only exchange gifts with people of our class." she spits verousioisly.

The boy smiled as he liked how she thought. He began to go towards them.

The old woman out of rage too replied her. "What a waste of a daughter you are to your family. You'll cry for the rest of your life." she adjusted the rag she made like a bag that rested around her shoulders and moved away. Just then, the boy reached.

Poonam took the man from head to toe before she asked in a not interested voice. "Do you also want alms?"

He chuckled and she stared at him while wondering if he was mad.

"Poonam!"

Her face fell with astonishment when her name rolled out of his lips.

"How do you know me?"

"We'll meet again." with that, he ushered away. She blinked with open lips. She met two strange people. First, the woman, and then the man. However, she found the man stranger. His ambience felt black. She felt uneasy when he was there and suffocated. Whatever it was, he didn't look like a beggar.

The driver returned to the car.

"The accident was major. It will take a while before the road clears. We'll follow the other direction."

"Do the necessary. I can't wait to leave." she replied.

••••

Anand decided to dedicate his full time to ensuring Shraddha's recovery. It has been many days. She was still as she was. In her sleep world. He has become miserable. He has vowed not to talk with his daughter Poonam until the person she put in such suffering forgives her act. And if Shraddha doesn't forgive her when she wakes up, he won't either. But he still gets information about her safety from the man he hired to keep an eye on her.

As usual, he cleaned her face with the soft wet towel.

"Anand! Come downstairs quickly. It's time to watch your father getting sworn in as the prime minister of India." Mother's joyful voice surpassed the living room she was in and penetrated his room. It was a joyous occasion for his father, but only they know how he did all the wrong things to win the election. For example, pairing him with Shraddha and ruining her family's image in public. That reason alone was enough to not make him go.

"I'm busy Mum." he replied loudly so that she could hear.

He took Shraddha's hand which got warmer during the passing days. There's some strange sensation that gushes in his body whenever he holds it. There is comfort, calmness and purity there. It's like a balm for real that can cure you. It is magic. He said it was because he finds peace whenever he holds it. It takes his stress away and it provides him with comfort.

He didn't notice when Shraddha's fingers began to move. Her eyes opened with a jerk. She looked around her surrounding and saw it was nearly evening. The first thought that crossed her mind was she got late for Delhi. However, keeping that aside, her body felt weird to her. All of a sudden, it was energetic, and it was like she was resting since forever and just woke up.

As Anand's eyes captured her gaze, immense happiness shrouded his face and he did the unexpected. He leaned and embraced Shraddha. Knots formed in her stomach, apart from butterflies flying there and yet again, shudders of electric shock went down her spine. Why was Anand hugging her? But then she thought, it was a one-time opportunity. Whatever it was, she should use the best out of it.

Her hands gently got wrapped around his wide back. She closed her eyes as she wanted everything around her to disappear. She wanted everything to seize, and the only thing which should remain was them. She wanted him to squeeze the life out of her through his hug, and happily, he was doing it.

"I'm glad you're awake Shraddha." he muttered.

She wasn't really paying attention to him. She was enjoying his embrace, his warmth, his scent. After all, she had all the rights to. He made her wait for him for so long. Not even a hug. He never gave her even a hug.

Anand broke their hug. She lowered her gaze as she blushed. The breeze made straps of hair move all over her face, and Anand forwarded his hand to help move them. He put them back behind her ear while she closed her eyes to relish the beautiful morning that resembled a dream.

"We have a lot to talk about. I don't know if it is the right time now, but I can't keep it in any longer."

The hesitation in his voice made her heart clench with worry. "Go on. Be rest assured you can tell me anything." she whispered.

"You've been unconscious for many days and only woke up today."

Her jaw dropped from shock. She was going to speak and ask how, until Anand explained.

"Poonam gave you a combination of overdose expired injections."

Her breaths fell slowly and gradually. "I hope you didn't send her to the boarding school." she uttered.

Anand gave her an unbelievable look. "She tried to kill you. Don't vouch for her because she isn't a good person."

"My daughter is a good person Anand. She was just surrounded by bad company maybe at school, but she's a good person."

Anand smiled briefly while goggling at her. Just how was she able to overlook everything his daughter did to her?

"What?"

"Poonam is in London. She'll not return until she completes her studies. Not even for breaks."

"You don't get it. She already hates me. She will hate me more because she'll think I influenced you to take that decision. And then she and I will never get along."

"So be it. I know what your truth is. What she thinks doesn't matter."

"It matters. You married me to be their mother. What they think of me matters a lot."

He shook his head as he got up. "I'm freeing you with her responsibility. Riddhima is still here. You can take care of her."

"And who will care for Poonam?"

"I will." without giving room for any more debate, he ambled out.

She sprawled back against the bed feeling sad because deep inside her heart, she never wished to let Poonam leave for the boarding school. To her, she didn't go astray here, but there are high chances she will go there because neither Anand nor her were there to correct her mistakes.

She put her one leg down on the cold floor. Her feet were sore. It was like she hadn't walked in forever because the pain that shot her when she kept it down was unbearable. She took it back and began to massage it while questioning herself if she grew fatter because the pressure that was released on it made her think that way.

She got up fully and went into the bathroom to clean herself because only Anand knows the last time she bathed. She finished, came out, donned a blue saree, applied her vermilion then proceeded to go downstairs.

"Riddhima!" Shraddha voiced with joy when she saw her in the hall sitting beside her grandmother.

"Shraddha?" Anand's mum was stunned to see her three. She left watching the swearing of her husband and got up and went to Shraddha and hugged her.

"We all missed you." she told her.

"To be honest, I feel like I only slept last night and woke up the next day." Shraddha giggled and broke their hug. She bent and took her blessings.

"May you be blessed with a long life to give birth to your child and witness your other children growing up into women."

Shraddha's face flushed with shyness. She mumbled a quick I pray so.

"Go and have dinner. Did I mention to you that your father-in-law has won the election?" Mother broke the news to her with an energetic voice. Shraddha smiled happily to share the joy with her.

"Congratulations Mother." she hugged her again. "I can't believe I'm standing with the First Lady."

They cackled a chuckle together.

"Anand didn't tell us you've regained consciousness. He saw me before leaving, yet, he didn't tell me even though he knew I was as worried as he was."

"Is he out?" she became unhappy immediately. She wanted them to spend time together and get to know one another. They've always been busy with one thing or the other. They've never got the chance to sit and discuss about their lives. And now, he was out.

"Yes. He probably went to the hospital. You know he stopped going ever since you went into a coma will I say."

"Really?" She asked unbelievably yet, was somehow happy. He stayed with her and cared for her like a husband.

"Why will I lie? Forget that. You woke up at the right time. There's going to be a party tomorrow to celebrate your father-in-law's victory."

"Will Riya be present?" She inquired. The mood of the atmosphere got tensed as his mother got saddened instantly by the mention of her.

"You sent her away. Even if she was in Mumbai, this is an event she will never attend because you know she and her father aren't on good terms."

"We know her whereabouts. Didn't Anand tell you?"

She shook her head. She spoke with her eyes, asking her to continue.

"She's in Delhi. We were meant to go to her, but Poonam gave me the injection. I don't know what Anand is thinking now. I don't know if we're still going or not."

"Delhi?"

"Yes."

Her eyes went in front of her to Riddhima who was attentively listening to their whole conversation. She passed her a smile while stretching her hand over to her to come.

"But does Ranbir know?"

"I also don't know." She replied and walked to Riddhima since she wasn't ready to come herself.

"How are you?"

"I'm good." She replied. She bowed her head while a pout plastered her face. She looked up again, with tears, told Shraddha. "That day at the restaurant when I told you I didn't like pineapple smoothie, you made sure I didn't drink it without letting anyone know I asked you to. This time around as well, please convince my father to bring Poonam back. I miss her a lot." her tear left her eyes followed by a sob. Shraddha's eyes moistened too. She hugged her and stroked her hair continuously.

"She'll return soon, my child."

"When is that? Everyone tells me she'll return soon. I've waited for quite a long time. She's not coming."

"Don't worry okay? She will. More than me, your father respects your decision. If you ask him to bring her back, he'll listen to you and give it more importance than when I tell him." She told her.

"Okay. I'll try to talk to him." She pulled back and wiped the tears on her face.

Shraddha smiled. "If you don't mind, can I help you get ready tomorrow for the party?"

"Okay."

Shraddha's smile grew wider. It reflected in her eyes. She wasn't expecting her to agree. One thing about the two sisters, Riddhima was definitely the nicest even though she's the youngest.

••••

Evening surpassed with Anand returning home. In the room, Shraddha was anxiously waiting for his arrival because he left without informing her. He rarely passed her a glance after entering the room as he went to the bed and sat.

"I had to halt the trip to Delhi for you. Are we..."

"I'm ready to go now if you want it."

He began to feel a sudden fear as his mind wandered to what tomorrow will bring in his life.

"We're going early in the morning tomorrow, and I'm hoping we'll be back before 2."

She nodded affirmatively. For her, it was a good chance to make Riya return to her family which is her father's home of course since she doesn't love her husband. And any relationship where there's no love is pointless. Of course, except for the one she shares with Anand. Their chemistry is different.

•••••

Infringing the light curtains, the fresh natural light brightened the room. Before the alarm itself, Shraddha was done getting ready. She left Anand still sleeping, and she went downstairs to prepare breakfast for them. Unaware of a figure behind her which was Anand's that followed her to track where she was going so early in the morning, she began to cook breakfast. Midway, she changed her mind about cooking just for both of them. She decided to cook it for all the family members.

With a huge smile on her face, she took the pot and placed it on top of the stove.

Anand was overwhelmed by different emotions. Just like she walked back and forth in trying to get things, once upon a time, Supriyya walked on the same floor. She cooked on the same stove. Not knowing, he didn't realize when tears formed in his eyes. Neither of happiness nor of sadness. Supriya wasn't a fan of cooking so unless he insisted a lot on eating her food, she doesn't go into the kitchen. And whenever she does, she wears a frown throughout until she came out. He enjoyed watching her.

Going into a flashback, he stuffed the red chilli into Supriyya's mouth. She glared at him with more anger and he busted into an uncontrollable laughter.

As she took it out, she walked past him without uttering a single word wanting to leave the kitchen because she was done cooking. Before she went out, Anand swiftly took hold of her hand and pulled her back.

"Why are you always in a hurry to leave?" he asked her. His hands were encircled around her waist while she jiggled her body to free it from his cuffs.

"Let me go Anand. Have some shame at least. We have a daughter, and the other is on her way."

"How do you think we'll have those daughters if I listened to you during the times you asked me to let you go?"

Her anger thawed and she lowered her gaze. She smiled while he leaned nearer.

"Come on yaar. We're in the kitchen."

"Then let's go to the room."

"And your food? The food you forced me to cook?"

"I'll have both the food for dinner." he insisted and swept out along with her.
FB ends
Anand left quietly from the kitchen. He returned to his room, and his eyes peeked at her portrait. He sighed and proceeded to the bathroom. He got ready and descended to the ground floor.

"Good morning Anandji." Shraddha cheerfully spoke.

"We're late. Let's go."

He dashed out of the house. They were indeed late. He planned to leave the house by 7, but it was nearing 8. He made them late when instead of bathing, he went to watch her in the kitchen.

She took the basket that stored the boxes of food she packed for them to eat on the way before going. She opened the back door and crammed the basket on the seat. Then she moved to the passenger seat and resolved there. The car started moving.

"I made breakfast."

He hummed in response and continued to focus on the road.

"When will we have it?"

"You can eat it now if you're hungry. I'll have mine on the plane."

She smiled. "We'll eat it together."

He shrugged.

Throughout the journey, she tried to steal glances at him. She asked him once, and he agreed to eat food with her. The day was definitely going to be a good going one.

They reached the airport. They were going with the family's private jet so they didn't do all those necessary check-in. After both of them settled on the seats in the plane, Shraddha rose up to serve him his breakfast.

"Give the basket to the attendant."

It was then she noticed there was a woman behind them. She nodded and handed it over. The woman served them and then left.

"Be quick. The plane will take off in ten minutes."

Ten minutes passed by with them muffling the food in complete silence.

Hey! I've noticed you don't like expressing your views about what you think of this book. So, in order to get me to publish the next chapter, I have a condition. There should be at least 45 votes and 20 comments. I won't mind if you will take your time before giving them to me. I'll also take my time and wait for you 😃. Take care!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

867K 55.4K 54
• An arranged marriage love story • ❝ His soul was tainted with darkness, Hers was full of light. One without the other, they knew they wouldn't surv...
4M 139K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
2.7M 155K 120
This story is about a relationships between a father and daughter. A wife and husband. And 2 best friend. "G-g-go" I stuttered moving back a little...
1.3M 90.9K 66
COMPLETED ✅ #1 in indianlove on 6/5/21 #1 in india on 26/6/21 #7 in romance on 26/6/21 Opposites Attract? Maybe! This is a story where two total...