Silver Card

By Ranger_2256

Conflicted with past experiences and concern for the future, Alan and his friends investigate the mystery of... More

Chapter 1: Card
Chapter 2: Clue
Chapter 4: Playtime
Chapter 5: Gray World
Chapter 6: Friendly Ghost
Chapter 7: Shy Banshee and Witty Leprechaun
Chapter 8: Unexpected Encounter
Chapter 9: Missing Friend
Chapter 10: Plan

Chapter 3: Missing Student

6 1 0
By Ranger_2256

"This table will do!" Calvin exclaims as he places his lunch on the table. Aiden and Alan follow him.

"So, where do we start?" Aiden asks with his cheerful eyes. He is completely absorbed in it. Alan is curious about Calvin's clue as well, but he uses this chance to keep Calvin from posting posters.

"Eula Es is a missing 2nd year senior high school student." Calvin starts off like he is leading a mystery case in a TV show. "She was last seen in the library, borrowing a drawing book."

Clara once told Alan that Calvin is obsessed with mysteries or anything detective-related. He once investigated a missing dog in primary school and it took six hours to find it. The next year, it only took 3. In junior high school, it took half an hour. In his senior year, he was invited by his father, who is chief of the police, to investigate a kidnapping case. Not sure how much he contributed back then, but there was no slander. So Alan never underestimates him. "Who saw her?" Alan asked with interest.

"The librarian saw her," Calvin answers. "She says Eula usually borrows novels. It's the first time she borrowed a drawing book."

"Maybe she just wants to try something new," Aiden adds.

"That is possible. But that is not important."

"Okay, so what's the clue?" asked Alan.

"It was around 8 at night. I was on my way home from the supermarket. At that time, I heard a scream." Alan and Aiden leaned in, sensing an action. "I walked there to see if someone needed help. After searching for a while, I found a large green book in an alley. I checked the contents, and it has our school's stamp on it."

"There could be two books and someone else drops them," Alan guessed.

"I asked the librarian, and she confirmed that there was only one book."

"So you're saying that someone kidnapped Eula Es?" Aiden asks.

Calvin nodded. "Seems likely."

Alan is not surprised by Calvin's reasoning, although most of it was from luck. "Have you reported this to your dad?" Alan asks.

"No, I want to do this myself."

"Huh? Why? You want to be her hero or something?" Alan revolted.

"No, it's just that working with police is not challenging enough." Even Aiden looks dumbfounded by Calvin's unexpected remark. Despite his love of mystery and adventure, he has always been a respectable and responsible senior. It seems like he is entering his rebellious phase. Noticing the change, Alan tries his best to convince him. "You are Calvin Callahan, not Sherlock Holmes, who has an engine of a brain. You're also a high school student who needs to focus on college, and you're a human with only one life!"

"All the reasons we should do this!" Calvin's eyes brighten.

"Wait, we?" Alan asked.

"Of course! I can't investigate alone, and you two are my most trusted friends."

Alan is dumbfounded by Calvin's contradictory behavior. "That's sweet and all, but what if we get caught?"

"Mister Carney worries about your grades. He said they are falling when you are focusing on Eula." Aiden joined in. He must be concerned for Calvin.

"Guys, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'll have my last day of school next June, and I won't see you guys again. I want to create memorable memories with you guys." Alan is a little embarrassed by Calvin's comment. He just remembered that Calvin could also be sentimental. "Besides, I also have another clue. I smelled alcohol when I picked up the book at the alley, and it's the same smell from the supermarket. This could lead us to the kidnapper!"

"How the hell can the scent of alcohol lead you to the kidnapper?"

"Don't worry, I have a plan. I'll tell you the details once you join me."

Alan gives up when he sees Calvin's bright eyes that resemble Clara's. It's impossible for him to persuade Calvin. "In that case, I'll help!" said Aiden.

"Hey, are you sure about this?" Alan asked.

"Only for 1 day though," Aiden clarified. "Is that okay, Calvin?"

"Of course." Calvin agrees. Aiden must have contemplated this when he quietly listened to Calvin. He takes Calvin's annoying feelings into account in addition to the potential for anything terrible to occur.

"How about you, Alan?"

Cornered by the sudden request, Alan analyzes whether it's a good idea to join them. He agrees that it'll be a fun experience to play detective for a day. But the risks outweigh them. Mr. Carney could scold them for not convincing Calvin. Actually, he could get scolded by all of the teachers or the police. He also might get caught up in shady crowds other than the presumed kidnapper. After considering all that, Alan gives his answer. "Sorry, I can't accept this. It's too much."

Calvin smiles, "That's okay. I won't force you."

Alan swallows his food. "Well, good luck with your case. Calvin Holmes and Aiden Wason." Alan stands up and picks up his tray as he leaves the table with a small weight on his head.

They all return to their classes, studying for the future and the present. Alan sometimes ponders about Eula's case when he gets bored and tries his best to not get caught by Mr. Carney or anyone. Before he realizes it, the school bell blares. Alan walks home, knowing his friends are busy with their own plans.

Creak! Alan enters a modest apartment. "Is that you, Alan?" an adult woman's voice fills in.

"Yeah, it's me, Aunt Jessica," Alan replied as he put his bag on a sofa.

"How's your day at school?" Jessica greets Alan.

"It's okay."

"You always say that."

"That's because you always ask the same question."

Jessica giggles, "Yeah, I guess I did." Alan walks to the kitchen counter to grab bread, face-to-face with his aunt. "Then, how about the others?" Jessica continued.

"Hmm? Who?"

"Your friends, of course. Aiden, Clara, Calvin, Arlo, and Beatrix."

That's certainly the first time she asked me that, Alan thought. His aunt always asks how Alan is doing whenever he returns from school or when she comes home from work. So Alan is surprised that his aunt talks about others. While she probably just wants to have some small talk. Alan wonders if something happened during his absence. "Calvin is posting posters about a missing student in our school; Clara is with her boyfriend, while Aiden, Arlo, and Beatrix are... being themselves," Alan answers.

"Ah right, the missing student's name is Eula Es, right?"

"Yeah."

"Poor kid, I wonder what happened to her. I feel terrible for her parents too." Alan just realized that Eula's case also worries someone outside school. He coincides with Jessica. "And Calvin is posting posters about her, he must be worried too."

"Yeah, I guess." Alan knows most of the truth behind Calvin's layers, but he prefers not to expose it.

"But he couldn't have done it alone. You must have helped him, right?"

"Nope," Alan bluntly confirms.

"What? Why not?"

"Because it's not worth my time."

"Oh, come on, don't say that." Alan senses a long lecture is about to come out of her mouth. "You remember your parents?"

"How does that coincide with this?" Alan put away his food.

"Eula's case is similar to yours. She must have been caught in an accident."

"But that doesn't mean I should risk my life to save her."

The ordinary conversation turned into a heated argument. Alan notices pity all over Jessica's face. "Your past self would never say that," Jessica continues. "You once wanted to be known as a kind person who helped everyone. But you change drastically after your parents' deaths. It must have been hard for you."

Alan's mind went blank. He can't argue with that. "But that doesn't mean we should let the flow change us. Because no matter what happens, you should stay true to yourself, and I'm certain that your true self is the kind boy your parents raised."

Various emotions stream around Alan's head. He can't identify it, but there is one thing he is certain of. My head feels heavy. As soon as he noticed it, Alan put the dish he used in the sink and walked to his room without saying a word.

The first thing he does is lay on the bed and put his arm on his forehead. The enigmatic emotion in his head flows slowly to his chest. Gray pictures appear one by one in his mind. Pictures of his childhood. Pictures of his time with his parents. Pictures of his inside world.

Alan stared at his phone lying on a table. He started to have mixed feelings. He brings Calvin's offer back into his mind.

After pondering for a while, Alan stood up and grabbed his phone. "Hey Calvin, I changed my mind."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171K 4.5K 48
An original and empowering shapeshifter/werewolf mystery. Lily's abusive life with her childhood pack is about to change forever when she's assigned...
165K 6.5K 158
Title: i became a god in horror games After losing his job Bai Liu became involved with an unstoppable horror live streaming game full of various mon...
14.1K 1.2K 34
α€™α€„α€Ία€Έα€€α€­α€―α€•α€­α€―α€„α€Ία€†α€­α€―α€„α€Ία€α€½α€„α€Ία€·α€”α€²α€·α€•α€α€Ία€žα€•α€Ία€œα€¬α€›α€„α€Ί α€€α€Άα€€α€Όα€™α€Ήα€™α€¬α€€α€­α€―α€α€±α€¬α€„α€Ία€…α€­α€”α€Ία€α€±α€«α€Ία€•α€…α€Ία€™α€šα€Ία€„α€šα€Ία€„α€šα€Ί
5.5K 102 11
Yn Swan and her adventure with her mates, the Salvatores, Mikaelsons and the Gerald Tvd x tw x hp Crossover I dont have any rights on the vampire di...