Annabeth Chase the Triwizard...

By AsexualConfusion

Annabeth was expecting a normal end to summer. She was expecting to end the day with Percy and wait for her f... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Author's Note

Chapter four

3.3K 101 49
By AsexualConfusion

Percy's letter back came almost immediately.

Annabeth had had no idea how to send hers in the first place, but the second she had finished her letter, Saffi had swooped over and grabbed it in her beak, then flew over to the window and tapped on it until Annabeth opened it for her, and flew out.

Only five minutes later, she was back, with a piece of loose leaf clenched in her talons. Annabeth could see the greek letters bleeding through the back paper in shiny bronze, which Annabeth recognized as Riptide's ink.

Saffi landed on the small table, getting muddy footprints on the surface. Annabeth had no idea how she had gotten muddy, but there it was.

Annabeth grabbed the paper and unrolled it. It was in Percy's messy handwriting, had a few smudged areas, and looked like it was written in a rush.

Dear Annabeth,

You're sure you're okay? We were all really worried when we couldn't find you, and everyone thought Hera tried to kill you, but I knew my Wise Girl is too smart for Queen Cow Poop. Hecate told me where she sent you like an hour after I noticed you were gone. This is just like what Hera did to me and Jason, but thankfully this time we know where you are and you know who you are. I also may have been forbidden from the rest of daily activities because i sassed out Hecate and Chiron was barely able to stop her from turning me into a weasel. Anyway, Hecate said every two weeks where you are is a day here, but you can send me letters whenever you want. But also, why letters?? When did she send you, the 1800s? Also don't kill me for saying this, but don't die. Not that I doubt your ability. I have complete faith in you. But try not to die. I told your dad where you are and he was confused but he took it well. By took it well I mean he didn't collapse into tears on the spot. I think he was more interested in the wizards than the quest. Anyway, everyone else is worried but they know you can do it. No pressure, though. Just get back here in one piece. Seriously, you're the smartest person I know, and that includes your mom. I love you so much.

Love,

Percy

P.S. your owl tried to kill me. Tell her to back off.

Annabeth laughed. Percy was still her Seaweed Brain.

He had said she could write to him whenever she wanted, but Annabeth wasn't going to do that to him. If she did, his entire day would be consumed by writing letters.

Annabeth settled in, sitting criss crossed on the bench seat. Rummaging through her bag, Annabeth pulled out her sketchbook and flipped to the first page. She wished she had a pen, but apparently that was too advanced for magical wizards.

She started with re-sketching a design she had been working on back home. Her hands traced the lines automatically, the commotion of whatever was happening outside fading to a dim background noise.

***

It was dark and raining outside when the train slowed to a stop. Annabeth waited until the thundering footsteps receded slightly, then she exited her compartment.

Everyone had changed into their school robes, so Annabeth was glad she had done the same. The narrow hallway was crowded with people, all pushing and shoving. Annabeth followed the flow of students towards the exit and stepped off the train onto a small platform, getting soaked immediately.

"Firs' years! Firs' years follow me!"

A giant man towered over everyone, almost ten feet tall. Annabeth tensed, but this couldn't be a full giant, he was too small. He had tangled black hair and a large beard that hid most of his face, leaving only his beetle black eyes visible. He was wearing a huge coat that looked like it was made out of animal skin.

Annabeth took this to be Professor Hagrid, though he didn't look like a professor. So she joined the gathering crowd of eleven year olds around the possibly half-giant.

"Everyone here?" he said. "Right, let's go!"

He set off into the woods, followed by the sea of nervous eleven year olds. Annabeth plunged in after them and was quickly engulfed by the dark trees.

Everything was quiet except for the pounding of the rain and the quiet, nervous murmurs of the first years. Annabeth felt the small knot of anxiety in her gut grow and tighten. She was nervous, but that was all drowned out as the trees cleared and Annabeth saw the castle.

It was huge, with turrets and parapets and towers and wings and thousands of windows with pinpricks of lights glowing in them. It had to be miles long, made out of stone with huge peaks and towers. It stood on the edge of a cliff, overlooking a huge black lake that rippled in the rain.

Dozens of little boats floated near the shore of the lake, and at Hagrid's instruction, everyone climbed in, four people to a boat. Annabeth wasn't sure the boats would stay afloat in this rain, but she climbed in anyway. She ended up at the front of one with three nervous children behind her.

Then the boats started moving, cutting through the water like a warm knife through butter. The water itself was opaque in the dark night, but it was shiny as glass.

About half way across, there was a splash a lot louder than that of the rain, and then a huge tentacle emerged from the water, pushing a small boy back into his boat. The boy scrambled back to the edge to see the retreating tentacle, a look of awe on his face.

The boats glided across the surface of the lake until they were all the way across it and heading through a curtain of hanging ivy into a half submerged cave, the bay glittering with tiny pebbles and rocks.

They got out and Hagrid said something as he gave the boy who fell his coat, but Annabeth was too busy looking around to listen. They set off on a well worn path through the cave, twisting up and around the rocky terrain. They emerged on a huge lawn and continued to walk, until they reached a huge stone staircase at the base of the castle, which was even more magnificent up close.

When they reached the top of the staircase, the huge oak front doors opened with a loud and long creak. A woman stood in the center of the entrance, wearing a long green robe, a pointed black hat, and a tight bun. She had thin lips and a stern expression.

"Ah, the first years, Hagrid," she said. "I'll take them from here."

So Hagrid set off into the huge entrance hall and into a side passage while the woman led everyone into a different side passage and told them to wait, then walked up to Annabeth.

"I am Professor McGonagall. You are Miss Chase, I presume?" she said. When Annabeth nodded, she continued. "You are to wait here until the headmaster announces that we have a transfer student. Then you will come into the Great Hall to be sorted."

Annabeth nodded.

Professor McGonagall walked to the front of the passage, told the first years to follow her, and trailed out, followed by a river of nervous eleven year olds and leaving Annabeth alone.

***

Harry cheered with the rest of his table as the last first year was sorted into Gryfindor. The eleven year old sat down at the edge of the table and nervously shook hands with those who offered. Finally, the sorting was over.

Everyone was eagerly awaiting the welcome feast, especially Ron, who was staring at his plate like he could will the food onto it.

Next to him, Hermione tilted her head curiously, like she could sense something was different tonight. After some searching, Harry noticed it too. The sorting hat was still on its stool at the front of the hall.

Finally, Dumbledore stood up.

Dumbledore smiled, his eyes twinkling. "And now, I would like to introduce someone special this year. We are pleased to welcome Annabeth Chase, Hogwarts's new transfer student!"

Hermione turned to look at Harry and Ron, looking as appalled as Harry felt. There hadn't been a transfer student as long as Harry had been at Hogwarts, and who knew when the last transfer was.

The doors opened again, and a girl walked out, making her way to the front. She was tall, with long curly blond hair and stormy gray eyes that swept over the hall, seeming to take in every detail. They skipped from the walls to the ceiling to the head table at the front to the faces of the students watching her. She walked with her head held high and her hands at her sides and a fierce look in her eyes, like she had something to prove.

She stopped when she reached the front, staring straight at Dumbledore.

Harry noticed Ron was looking rather red, and he kept adjusting his clothes and wiping nonexistent dirt off his face.

"Now," Dumbledore said, "Miss Chase will be sorted into her house and will join her peers in the fourth year. Miss Chase, if you will put on the Sorting Hat."

If Annabeth Chase was surprised by the Sorting Hat, she didn't show it. She walked right up to the stool and picked up the hat, seeming a little wary, but then she put it on her head, where it fell halfway past her ears, and sat down.

***

Annabeth was expecting many things, but she wasn't expecting the hat to talk.

As soon as she sat down, she could feel a presence awaken.

Ah, I haven't had one of you in centuries, said a voice in her ear. The hat was talking to her. Of course. Lots of courage, I see, and a lovely thirst for knowledge, you would do well in Ravenclaw, very well.

Get on with it, Annabeth thought. She didn't want to sit there with a hat probing around in her mind any longer than she had to.

A feisty one, I see, the voice said. Very Gryffindor of you. But no, you don't belong there. Let's see... resourcefulness, pride, and oh yes, lots of ambition. Determined, too. But crafty as well. And, ah, cunning, yes, lots of it. Well, I think that's all I need. Yes, better be SLYTHERIN.

***

"SLYTHERIN!"

"What?!" Ron yelled, any semblance of red gone from his face. He wasn't the only one.

Any excitement the students had felt about having a transfer vanished. Lots of students booed at Annabeth Chase. Fred and George and several others hissed at her, and a goblet sailed towards her head as she took off the hat.

Annabeth's hand shot up and closed around the goblet handle a split second after the hat cleared her eyes.

Harry was appalled. He hated the Slytherins as much as anyone, but to actually throw a metal goblet at one's head? In front of the teachers, no less? And why weren't the teachers doing anything? The most any of them did was frown in disapproval.

Annabeth's eyes widened for a second at the verbal and physical attack, but her expression hardened almost immediately. She glared at the crowd, and it was so fierce that Harry was glad there were too many people to see who had thrown the goblet. He had a feeling whoever did wouldn't see the light of day otherwise.

Next to Harry, Ron booed with his hands cupped around his mouth as Annabeth walked with her head held high towards the slytherin table, glaring at anyone who made a sound. Everyone, basically.

***

Annabeth didn't know why everyone hated her suddenly, but she wasn't taking it lying down. She met their glares with one of her own as she made her way to the table with the snake banner over it. They and the table next to them were the only ones not glaring at her like she had killed their best friends. Most of them even clapped.

She slid onto the bench at the edge of the corner so her back was against the wall, giving her a good vantage point if anyone else decided to throw something at her. If only she knew who had done it. She needed to have a talk with them. Preferably one that would land the goblet throwing coward in the hospital for several months.

The person next to her opened his mouth to say something, but the food appeared at that moment— literally appeared on the previously empty plates— and he lost interest and began attacking the chicken.

No one talked to her as she scraped a portion of her steak into the fireplace in the wall behind her.

"Athena," Annabeth whispered. "You're probably not expecting this, seeing as I'm probably two years old right now back in Virginia, but it's Annabeth. I'm on a quest in the past. Thought you should know."

The fire burned higher as Annabeth's food was engulfed by the flames, so she took it as a sign that her mother was listening. Annabeth wasn't about to ask Athena for anything, though. She still remembered her last encounter with her mother.

Annabeth talked to a few people throughout the meal, trying to gather information about the school. The people she was sitting by weren't very friendly and one boy accused her of bringing more hate to Slytherin, though, so she told him that he was what everyone was booing at and ate in silence, deciding to choose a different spot next time.

Finally, after what felt like two hours, the last of the deserts vanished just the way they came. It reminded Annabeth wistfully of the plates at camp.

The man at the middle of the high table, professor Dumbledore, probably, stood.

"So!" he said, "now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include screaming yo-yos, fanged frisbees, and ever bashing boomerangs. The full list compromises of some four hundred and thirty seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anyone would like to check it. As always, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out of bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmead to all under third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you all that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

Annabeth didn't know what Quidditch was, but it seemed to be important. There was an immediate uproar from the students, and several people yelled, "what?"

Ignoring the protests, Dumbledore continued on. "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up most of the teacher's time and energy— but I am sure you all will enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts—"

Dumbledore wasn't able to finish his sentence. At that moment, the Great Hall doors swung open with a bang, and thunder boomed and lightning flashed, illuminating the outline of a figure in a black cloak.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 105 11
DISCLAIMER: this book is discontinued!! " So I have to go all the way to some fancy boarding school in England to protect a wizard? " " He's your bro...
470K 13.7K 58
"So... Thalia... why are you even on this quest again?" "I'm here to kill a dragon." "Oh... that's... nice." Come join the adventure Percy, Annabeth...
624K 16.4K 67
Being a half-blood isn't easy, and it doesn't get easier. Of course, fighting in two wars and being drafted into a third doesn't help. But there are...
Astrapi By Belle

Fanfiction

1.5K 50 5
In which Seraphina Potter considers herself to be to worlds most screwed over half-blood in history. ------ "I hate you, you realize that right?" "Tr...