A Shot in the Dark (Thilbo...

By BrokenDevils22

Author: Silver_pup Summary: When he opens his eyes again, he finds himself in his old bed in his old home in... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Interlude
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue

Chapter 14

1.8K 89 90
By BrokenDevils22

In another lifetime, when he had sat down to write his story, Bilbo had recalled his journey through Mirkwood with a weary sort of fondness. It had been a dreadful thing to go through at the time for sure; starving, giant spiders, cold Elves, and a barrel ride down a raging river was not exactly a vacation. But later, after they had gotten out alive and the rush of blood had died down, he looked back and felt a sort of pride at what he had managed to accomplish. Later he even thought of taking on the forest for a second time; confident and cocky that he could handle anything it threw at him now.

He was wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG! I was so very wrong, I hate this place; hate it, hate it, hate it! Bilbo chanted to himself, trying not to trip over a tree root for the fifth time in twenty minutes.

They had been in the woods for not even a day and the Hobbit already hated it. He hated the towering trees that tangled into each other and blocked the sunlight from him. He hated the trail that twisted and turned through fallen trees and overgrown vegetation. He hated the black squirrels that watched them go with beady little eyes that looked far too intelligent to him. He hated the unknown sounds that echoed around them and made them all jump and search for a source only to find none. He hated the cobwebs that stretched from tree to tree in thick, dark wads that hung teasingly overhead. But the thing he hated most was the knowledge of the many eyes that watched them as they trudged through the forest.

"You look very angry," Bofur noted as he leaned forward to get a better look at the Hobbit. "What's wrong?"

"I hate this place," Bilbo answered simply. "I hate these trees, I hate these squirrels, I hate these cobwebs, and I absolutely hate these stupid tree roots that keep tripping me!"

Bofur slowly moved back from him. "Um, I'm sorry to hear that? Do you... Do you want to walk behind me? I can trip first and warn you."

Bilbo sighed and shook his head. "No, I'm sorry, don't worry about me. I just need time to adjust to this stupid forest. I'll be fine then."

Bofur nodded but still looked concern as he returned to his spot in line. They all walked in a single file with Thorin leading them and Dwalin bringing up the end. It was a slow and silent walk as the forest made not only Bilbo on edge, but everyone else as well. He could see how tense and guarded all the others were from the carefree Kili to the high-strung Dori. No one felt safe in Mirkwood.

It grew worse when the sun went down, and the entire forest became pitch-black. The small fire they made did little to pierce the darkness around them, and it did nothing to hide the red and green eyes that stared out at them from all around.

"Do you think they'll attack us?" Ori whispered from where he was huddled between his brothers. For once he did not seem to mind Nori's arm around his shoulders, or the cloak that Dori had bundled him in.

"Doubtful. If so then they would have done it by now," growled Dwalin as he glared up at the eyes.

"We'll take turns on watch, so nothing surprises us," added Thorin as he calmly looked over Orcrist.

Ori relaxed slightly but continued to glance up nervously at the eyes watching them. Across from him, Fili and Kili were doing much the same only their eyes looked curious. They were clustered together between Dwalin and Balin and were holding a whispered conversation as they took turns staring at the unknown eyes around them.

Bilbo honestly didn't know who the many eyes belonged to—Elf or beast, he really didn't care—but he kept his eye on the pale and round orbs that would occasionally appear. He had no interest in fighting giant spiders again, but he would if the insects tried anything.

You will not get in my way, he thought, glaring at a pair of pale blue eyes that seemed to glow. You will not get my friends. Not again.

"Master Baggins, I think you should sleep closer to the middle," Oin suddenly said, interrupting his staring contest with the spiders.

"Um, why?" he asked, looking to the healer across from him.

"Because I wouldn't put it past you to try and take on whatever is watching us," the Dwarf replied bluntly. "With you in the middle I can keep a better eye on you."

Bilbo stared, feeling rather offended by the answer. "What? I'm not going to do that, I'm not stupid! Beorn said not to leave the path, remember? Only if they show up on the path will I confront them."

He thought his answer would satisfy the Dwarf, but it only seemed to make the whole camp stop and stare.

"Oh Mahal," groaned Dwalin, rubbing his forehead.

"Wow, and I thought we were bad," Fili muttered to Kili, who nodded in agreement.

"How did you make it to adulthood?" wondered Bofur, staring at him as if he had never seen the Hobbit before.

"See, I told you he needed looking after," Nori said to Dori while Ori gave him a look of sympathy.

Gloin simply shook his head while Oin released a loud sigh. "Right, you're sleeping between us from now on," the healer declared, looking as if his expectations had been met. "Show up on the path... I'm beginning to rethink my opinion on Hobbits..."

"But I—" Bilbo tried to protest but was ignored by all. He was confused over the sudden turn of events, but he had a feeling that wasn't about to change anytime soon.

~*~

The days passed slowly.

Bilbo tried to keep track of time but found it difficult as they went deeper and deeper into the forest. Soon the trees became so wrangled and thick above that he could not spot any sign of sunlight. With no source to count the days, he decided to focus on their food and water supplies instead. Beorn had given them more food as he had asked, and though they were managing to stretch it, he still worried they would run out again. His comrades, at least, did not share his worry. They were still weary of the forest and its occupants, but without the stress of hunger weighing them down, they were able to relax slightly. Fili and Kili began to make jokes again, and Nori even began to annoy Dori once more. It relieved him that he did not have to listen to them argue and bicker with each other again.

With the limited space they had, Gloin had grudgingly called their training to a pause. He swore they would start again once they were out of the forest, and the Hobbit easily agreed to placate him. Without the training to occupy himself, Bilbo decided to spend the time to continue learning Iglishmêk from Bifur.

"So... this means 'friend,' while the opposite means 'foe,'" the Hobbit questioned as he tried to make the correct sign with his fingers.

Bifur nodded and wiggled his fingers before answering in Khuzdûl. Bilbo looked to Bofur—who was acting as a translator and teacher—for an answer.

"He said that you need to bend your forefinger back more," the Dwarf explained.

Bilbo did as told and held up his hands for inspection. "Like this?"

Bifur nodded and Bofur smiled. "Perfect! You got it down."

He looked down at his hands and then back at the duo before him. "I did not think a language of the hands would be so complicated."

"Khuzdûl is a complicated language," Bofur explained, shrugging. "Iglishmêk mirrors it in that regard."

"Hmm. I'm not really learning your language, right? I mean, I don't want to get you all in trouble for teaching me this," asked the Hobbit. He realized for the first time that his request could bring trouble to his friends.

Bofur shook his head and gave him his signature dimple smile. "Don't worry! We're not breaking any laws in teaching you this. Since we're translating the signs into common for you, you're not really learning any Khuzdûl."

Bifur nodded along and made a waving gesture with one hand that he mentally translated to mean, 'It's fine, let it go.'

"Ahh, that's true," he admitted, feeling relieved that he had not caused his friends any trouble. "Let's continue then. What is the sign for trouble?"

Bifur pointed to the Hobbit.

"Wha—? Oh, ha, ha, very funny." Bilbo rolled his eyes as Bofur snickered. "I get it, I get it. I'm always in trouble."

"You do have a way of getting into the worst situations possible," the toymaker pointed out. "Most of it is even of your own making."

"I do not go looking for trouble!" he argued, feeling rather offended. "I just happen to run into troublesome people!"

Bifur snorted and gave him a look that didn't need any words.

The Hobbit pointed a finger at the Dwarf. "Don't look at me like that! I'm not wrong!"

"Weeelll, you did join us on this adventure," reminded Bofur, grinning so widely that it looked painful. "And then there were the trolls, and the mountains, and the orcs, and then Beorn..."

Bilbo was about to protest that until he realized the other had a point.

Blasted Dwarves, he thought, and tried his best not to pout as the other two laughed at him.

"Master Baggins!" Dori called from somewhere behind him. "Come here for a moment."

"Gladly," he said, standing up and stalking off to where the older Dwarf sat. He ignored Bifur's laughter and Bofur's halfhearted apologies and sat down across from Dori. The warrior was sewing something together that looked like one of Nori's shirts. Next to him were a pile of clothes with numerous tears and holes in them.

"Yes? Did you need something? Help perhaps?" the Hobbit asked.

Dori snorted and set down his work. "Hardly. I simply wanted to give you your coat. I finished it earlier but forgot to tell you."

Bilbo stared, taken back, as the Dwarf reached into his pack and pulled out a small red coat. He tossed it to the Hobbit, and it smacked him in the face before falling into his lap.

"The color isn't exactly subtle, but the fabric is strong and durable," the Dwarf explained as he returned to his task. "It will keep you warm when the fall comes."

Bilbo picked up the coat and ran his fingers over the smooth material. It was silky soft on the outside but inside was padded with warm beige wool that was all tied together with tiny impeccable stitches. It lacked buttons, of course, and the outside material was a little too lavish for his taste, but all in all it was a beautiful coat.

And Dori had made it just for him.

"I-I don't know what to say," he whispered, touched by the simple but sincere gesture. "Thank you, Master Dori. It is beautiful."

Dori shrugged and continued his task, but his face relaxed a tad. "It was nothing. You needed a new coat, and I am a weaver. It was an easy enough task to complete."

"Doesn't mean I'm not grateful any less," he insisted. "You took the time and effort to do this all just for my sake. That is a grand gift by itself."

"You use a lot of pretty words," the Dwarf noted as he looked up at him. "I am not as eloquent, so I prefer to allow my actions to speak for me."

"Well, this has said a great deal to me," Bilbo insisted, clutching the coat to his chest. "I will treasure it always."

Dori scoffed at his reply, but his eyes were soft when he looked at him. "Don't be so dramatic; it's just a coat."

No, he argued to himself as the Dwarf continued his knitting, it is so much more than that.

~*~

It was a great relief when they finally found the broken bridge.

"So... any ideas on how we're going to cross this?" Bombur asked as they all studied the wooden bridge that had rotted away in the middle.

"There's a boat on the other side," Bilbo pointed out, squinting into the distance. "Looks about twelve yards away."

"You can see that clearly so far?" Thorin wondered, looking at him in surprise.

He shrugged. "Hobbits have good eyesight."

"Is there a way to get the boat over here?" asked Balin, rubbing his jaw.

"We need a rope with a hook," the Hobbit said firmly, deciding to get right to the point. "The boat looks light, and I don't think it's tied to anything. If we can throw the hook onto it, then we can pull it over."

From there the plan went much the same as it did the first time. They fastened the hook and rope together and Fili was chosen to throw it. After missing a few times, he finally managed to snag the boat and began to pull only to find that it was tied up. Kili went to help his brother, and after a nudge from Bilbo, Dori joined them. It took a few tries, but they managed to pull the boat loose and catch it before it could float off.

"There are no oars," noted Dwalin as he inspected the boat. "How are we supposed to move this blasted thing?"

Fili sheepishly raised a hand. "I have an idea."

After Fili explained his plan, they agreed, and he threw another hook again until it finally caught on to a tree across the river. Bilbo waited until Thorin had decided who would cross before he spoke up again.

"I will go last," he chimed in before Bombur could complain about being last again. "I'm light so it will balance Bombur out."

Thorin frowned but did not disagree. "Very well. Fili, Kili, Balin! You're up first."

Next to him, Nori lightly tugged at his hair. "Stop that."

"Stop what?" he asked.

"Putting the others first," the Dwarf replied as he watched their comrades carefully climb into the boat. "Think about your own safety for once."

Bilbo made a face of distaste. "I don't think so. You lot need more looking after than I do."

Nori sighed and shook his head. "Stubborn."

"Yes," he agreed, and then elbowed the Dwarf in the side with all his strength.

The thief didn't even flinch.

It was a slow process getting everyone across the river safely. He watched them proceed carefully while also keeping an ear open for any galloping deer. He didn't know if the deer would show because of the time difference, but he wasn't getting his hopes up. Their luck wasn't that good.

Sure enough, when it was finally their turn to cross, Bilbo heard the sound of pounding hooves growing closer. Before Bombur could take a step into the boat, the Hobbit grabbed his arm and pulled him off to the side of the bridge. Before the Dwarf could ask why, a deer came flying out of shadows and galloping towards them from the other side. It bowled the others over before leaping across the bridge in one graceful arch. It landed lightly on the other side and galloped on into the forest; ignoring the two on the bridge as if they were nothing.

"Hmp. Blasted deer," the Hobbit grumbled to himself as he released the cook. "All right there, Bombur?"

The Dwarf nodded, looking a little shaken by the sudden appearance of the deer. "Y-Yes. Just surprised is all. I wasn't expecting that."

He patted the other on the arm sympathetically. "Yes, that was rather random. Well come along then; let's get this over with."

With the deer gone, the two climbed into the boat and slowly made their way to the other side. They managed to take one step out of the boat before they were swarmed by their companions.

"Okay there, Bombur?" Bofur asked his brother as he helped him out of the boat.

The cook nodded and waved him away. "Yes, yes, I'm fine. Bilbo pulled me off to the side before it could land on me."

"Oh?" Bofur raised his brows and gave the Hobbit a smile. "Thank you for that. I hate to think what would have happened if that deer had knocked my brother into the river."

Bilbo shrugged and took Dori's offered hand. "Not a problem. I couldn't very well let it land on him."

"True. You much rather have it land on you," Nori agreed cheerfully because he always strived that extra mile to be annoying.

The Hobbit winced as Dori's grip on his hand tightened. "While that may be true, it still didn't happen. We're both safe. Here. With all of you. Unharmed."

"You're walking next to Ori for the rest of this journey," Dori declared in return.

Bilbo cursed.

~*~

They walked on.

With Bombur awake and their food still plentiful, they managed to walk further and longer than they had the first time around. This was both a blessing and a curse to Bilbo. It was a blessing because they were that much closer to getting out of Mirkwood and closer to Lake-town. But it was a curse because he didn't know what to expect from the rest of the forest now. He also realized that he had another dilemma: Thranduil. If they did not meet the Elvenking this time around, then he would not know of their journey, and would not come looking for reparations. Without Thranduil there with his army, Bilbo realized that they would not be able to win the upcoming battle.

Well, this is a major pain, he brooded to himself one night. How am I going to get his attention? Unless we step off the path and cause trouble then I doubt he'll care about us. But I can't let them step off the path and I can't go myself. Maybe I can sneak into his home...

"You look very frustrated," noted Thorin as he took a seat next to him. Bilbo had to force himself not to jump or tense at the sudden appearance of the Dwarf king.

"I'm simply thinking about how much food we'll have to get us through this forest," he lied, scooting over a bit to give the Dwarf some room.

"Mmm. Balin has been keeping track and estimates we can make it stretch for another two weeks," Thorin admitted. "But that's if we begin to cut back on how much we eat now."

"I thought as much." He watched the Dwarf as he stretched his legs out and forced his shoulders to relax. Thorin looked tired and it showed from the dark circles under his eyes and the tightness in his jaw. The journey was beginning to take its toll on him.

I want to help him, the Hobbit thought, clenching his pants tightly. But how? He doesn't trust me enough yet.

"Bilbo," Thorin suddenly said, turning to face him. "Do you recall the conversation we had after you saved Fili? The one about the debt I now owe you?"

The Hobbit nodded slowly. "Yeeesss. What about it...?"

"You told me that I could not grant your wish. That the one thing you wanted most was not in my power to give."

"And it never will be," he reminded him because he knew how stubborn Dwarves could be.

Thorin did not deny it. Instead, he stared at him with blue eyes that looked nearly black in the dark forest. "Your greatest wish... It's for him is it not? The love you lost?" he asked quietly.

Bilbo looked away. His throat felt tight as he struggled to swallow down either laugher or tears. "Yes."

Thorin sighed heavily. "I thought as much. Death is something that even I cannot combat against."

"Yes, it is rather final," he agreed, and to his annoyance his voice sounded scratchy.

"I suppose I must find another way to repay you," the Dwarf continued, tapping his finger against the hilt of Orcrist.

"I told you how you could do that. I don't know why you can't just accept that as my wish," the Hobbit grumbled.

"Keeping everyone alive is not something I can guarantee," pointed out the king. "It is amazing we got as far as we have without any deaths."

Bilbo had to laugh at that. "True. I was afraid that we had lost some on the mountains. And then when those Orcs dragged them back to us... We're all very lucky."

"Hmm." Thorin glanced around the camp before looking back to him. "The... The one you lost... Were you together long?"

"No," the Hobbit replied simply. "I knew him only for a short time. We were only ever friends and nothing more. He died before I could tell him my feelings."

Thorin's eyes widened, and his brows flew skyward. "You were not lovers? I thought... I mean, from the way you spoke of him I assumed—"

"Yes, it is an understandable mistake," he agreed easily. "I refer to him as my heart, but it was not the same for him. He... He valued me only as a dear friend, and I dared not ask for more. It was enough to simply love him from afar."

The Dwarf was now looking at him with something akin to pity in his eyes. The sight of it made him want to laugh (or cry) because the Dwarf was the very reason for it in the first place. "Don't give me that look," he chided gently. "I accepted my lot in life long ago. I am at peace with my heart now."

"It is still a sad thing to find your One only to realize that you are not their One," the king said softly.

Bilbo simply shrugged. He honestly had accepted his fate in love long ago. The first time around he had been content to simply love Thorin from afar; he had never expected anything else but friendship from the king. It was the same thing the second time around. He was happy enough to stand by the Dwarf and protect him and love him in silence. He would not ask for more than that.

"Love is not always fair," he replied. "I never thought I would fall in love when I was younger. It took me by surprise when I finally did. So, I will treasure the memories I have and take comfort in my love for him. It is all I can do now."

Thorin had nothing to say to that.

"Have you ever been in love, Master Thorin?" the Hobbit asked. He had avoided asking the question the first time around in fear of a broken heart, but he was long past that point now. He had been living with a broken heart since the moment Thorin took his last breath.

"No. My love has always been reserved for my people," the Dwarf said firmly. "Even as a prince I had always understood that the kingdom must be put above all else. It... It would not be fair to ask someone to give me their whole heart while they must share mine with my people."

Bilbo had not known that. He always knew that Thorin treasured his people, sure, but he never thought the king would avoid love for them. He didn't know if it was a noble sentiment or a sad one.

Thorin suddenly snorted and then chuckled. When he noticed Bilbo's curious look, he explained, "I was just musing that we two are very pathetic when it comes to matters of the heart."

Bilbo blinked once, twice, and then burst into laughter that Thorin soon joined in. Their companions were all staring at them with mixed expressions, but Bilbo paid them no mind. He simply kept laughing because if he didn't then he'd start crying over his sad little heart that longed for the king that could only love his people.

Pathetic lot indeed.

~*~

Two days later they were attacked by Elves.

Bilbo had honestly not expected that.

They slipped out of the forest like ghosts and had them surrounded before they could even blink. None of the Dwarves had a chance to draw their weapons as each Elf aimed an arrow at their face. Bilbo stared at the one pointed at him before slowly following it until he met the eyes of the owner. It was an Elven female with long red hair and fierce hazel eyes. She was as beautiful as any other Elf with her high cheekbones and slender form, but it was not her beauty that made him freeze and stare. It was the familiarity.

Tauriel! Then that means...

He glanced at the corner of his eye to where Thorin stood with his own arrow pointed at his face. The Elf that stood over him was tall and fair with pale blue eyes that glowed silver in the right light. His face was beautiful like a finely sharpened blade and achingly familiar to him.

"Well, now. What do we have here," wondered Legolas as he stared down Thorin with cold, cold eyes. "Dwarves wandering about in a forest that does not belong to them. I wonder what could have brought them here..."

"We mean no harm," answered Balin before Thorin could speak and get them all killed. "We're simply passing through. There's no crime against that, yes? We have not broken any rules or harmed any creatures while here."

"You use the road of my people," Legolas pointed out. "You entered our home without permission. You are trespassers."

"Say what you like, Elf," Thorin said flatly. "We have committed no crime here."

The prince slowly blinked. "Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór. It has been a long time since we have seen the likes of you."

Thorin did not speak but narrowed his eyes until they were only slits of blue on his face.

"I wonder what has brought you back here after so many years," Legolas continued. "Would you tell us your reason?"

The Dwarf remained stubbornly silent.

"No? Very well then. Perhaps you care to tell our king instead." The Elf finally lowered his bow but did not take his eyes off his captive. "Tie them up. We will let my father deal with them."

Well, I guess that solves the problem of meeting Thranduil, Bilbo thought before he found his arms bound before him.

~*~

The Elves led them through the forest much the same way they had the first time. The only difference Bilbo could find was that it seemed shorter than the last time. But then, they had gotten further through the forest than the first time. Eventually they came to the bridge and the raging river that was still as dark and intimidating as he recalled. The Elves dragged them over the bridge and down the halls carved out of the stone, and to the throne room of the Elvenking, Thranduil.

Much like his son, Thranduil looked no different from his memories. He was still as beautiful as a finely carved statue; immaculate and perfect and never changing. He looked down over each of them from his high throne before his vacant eyes settled on Thorin.

"Thorin Oakenshield," the Elven king greeted without an ounce of emotion. "It has been some time."

"Not long enough," the Dwarf growled, not bothering to hide his scowl.

The Elf titled his head down in what could have passed as a nod. "No. I would be happy to never see a hair of your kind again, but you have made that impossible with your presence. Tell me... why have you come to my forest? Why would you dare enter my realm?"

Thorin did not speak.

"Still so stubborn, I see," Thranduil acknowledged. "No matter. I think I have an idea of why you lot are here. Could it be that you seek to reclaim what is no longer yours? Have you come to try to win back your home, little prince?"

Thorin clenched his jaw. "I am a prince no longer. I am king—"

"Oh! Forgive me, your majesty. I had forgotten about your grandfather's passing," Thranduil interrupted with great exaggeration. He waved one arm out in a graceful sweep and drawled, "All hail the King Under the Mountain."

In response, Thorin turned white, and his eyes grew frosty. The others were also scowling or glaring at the Elf king, and even Bilbo could not deny his irritation with the monarch. He understood that there was bad blood between Elves and Dwarves that lasted for centuries, but Thranduil was just being petty now.

And Bilbo Baggins did not have time for petty Elves.

"Enough," he called in Sindarin, pushing his way to the front until he stood side-by-side with Thorin. He threw is head back and glared up at the king high above him. "Enough of this! You should be ashamed of yourself! An ancient Elven king mocking another for his grief? What is wrong with you? Have you no pride? No compassion? No manners?"

For the first time, Thranduil finally showed a hint of emotions. His eyes widened a fraction and thawed slightly. He leaned forward in his throne and tilted his head to the side in what seemed like wonder as he stared down at the Hobbit below him.

"A halfling," he said back in Sindarin. "I have not seen your kind in centuries. How did you come to learn our tongue?"

Bilbo rolled his eyes. "Oh, don't act so surprised. It's not as if your language is a secret. As long as one has enough books and a fluent teacher then you can learn."

"A halfling that speaks the language of Elves and travels with Dwarves... I don't think I have ever seen an odder sight," the Elf commented, leaning back into his throne. "Tell me, why do you travel with this lot? What could a halfling have in common with Dwarves?"

"First of all stop calling me 'halfling.' My name is Bilbo Baggins," the Hobbit scolded, ignoring the shifting Elves around him who seemed displeased by his lack of manners. Too bad for them that he didn't care what they thought. "And I chose to accompany them because their mission is a noble one."

Thranduil arched one brow. "A noble mission you say. How is enraging a dragon for some gold a 'noble' mission?"

"They are not taking on Smaug for the gold alone," Bilbo argued back. "They're doing it because they want to go home. How is that not a noble goal?"

"What are you two saying?" Thorin whispered at his side, but he ignored the king.

"Home?" the Elf king repeated, and something in his voice cracked a fraction. "There is no home for them to return to. Smaug cannot be killed by thirteen Dwarves and a single halfling. You are all destined to fail."

"Maybe. Maybe not. But it is still worth trying," he insisted, shaking his head. "Let us go so we can find out."

"Hmm." Thranduil slouched back into his throne and draped one long leg over the other. "I suppose it would be amusing to see if they live or die... And I really gain nothing by keeping them here except an unpleasant smell..."

"So, you'll let us go?" Bilbo pressed, crossing his fingers.

"I will let the Dwarves leave for their little mission," the king agreed before pointing a finger at the Hobbit. "But you must stay here."

"What?!" Bilbo squawked in common. He stumbled back away from the Elf but was stopped short as Dwalin caught him from behind. The Dwarf settled his bound hands against his back and held him up until he was able to gain his bearing again.

That was not what he had expected.

"Bilbo, what is it? What did he say?" Balin asked from behind him.

"H-he said you a-all can leave but I-I have to st-stay," he stuttered, never tearing his gaze away from the Elvenking. Thranduil's lips had curved up the slightest bit in what passed as amusement for him. He did not enjoy being the reason for that amusement.

Around him, his Dwarves immediately began to protest.

"What—?!"

"Why that miserable tree-licker—"

"—can't stay here! You belong with us—!"

"—thieving bastard. Trying to steal our burglar—"

"—can't think we'd agree to that—"

"—should just kill the bastards and get out of here—"

"—found him first! Go find your own Hobbit—!"

"—do with a Hobbit? I don't trust this deal—"

Bilbo ignored the frantic Dwarves around him and remained focused on the Elf watching them.

"Why do you want me to stay? I-I'm just a simple Hobbit," he reminded the Elvenking because he honestly didn't see the benefit at all.

Thranduil shrugged one shoulder. "You're entertaining, and I am sorely lacking in entertainment these days."

Oh, lovely, the king wants a new court jester. Wonderful. No wonder no one likes him.

Bilbo finally tore his gaze away from Thranduil, and focused on the only one who had any real say. What he saw made him jump and lean closer to Dwalin. Thorin's face was completely calm. His shoulders were tense, but he wasn't clenching his jaw together, or glaring at Thranduil like the others. The only hint that he was angry was in his eyes. They had turned into a blue so dark it looked black. It was the same type of blue he had seen only in the deep parts of lakes and rivers. It was as if Thorin had managed to get so angry that his rage had reached a point of complete murderous composure.

Bilbo had seen that look only one time before.

He looked at me that way when he found out I stole the Arkenstone, he recalled, swallowing the lump in this throat. Not good, not good. I need to get out of the deal before Thorin snaps and kills Thranduil.

"I have a better proposal," he called in Sindarin, trying to step forward only to be pulled back by Dwalin and Balin. He rolled his eyes at both of them but didn't try to move again.

"Speak," answered the Elven king, waving a slender hand.

"Let me leave with all my companions. Let us leave the forest and travel to Erebor to confront Smaug. If you do all this then I will give you the reward that was promised to me by Thorin," the Hobbit offered.

Thranduil's eyes suddenly sparked with a glint of life. "Oh? And what did the Dwarf promise you?"

He gave the Elf a look that he hoped conveyed how stupid he found that question. "What did you think he offered me? Gold! Gold and silver and jewels and whatever else they have in that mountain! You can have it all but only if you let me go too."

The Elf king seemed to consider the proposal for a long time. Bilbo watched him as he exchanged a look with Legolas that he could not read before finally turning his marble eyes back to the Hobbit.

"I accept," said the Elf, and the Hobbit slumped in relief.

"Thank you," he said, bowing his head to the king. "Thank you very much."

"I should be the one thanking you," Thranduil pointed out, furrowing his brows slightly. "I am the one who will receive your promised reward in the end."

"True, you are getting the treasure," he agreed, nodding, "but I don't care. I didn't come along for the reward."

Thranduil still did not look like he understood. "Then... what did you come for?"

Bilbo simply shrugged. "For them."

~*~

Thranduil agreed to let them go free but that was as far as he was willing to go in helping them. They were escorted out of the castle and back to the road by a silent trio of Elves. Once they were on the trail, the Elves turned and disappeared back into the forest without another word. Bilbo rubbed at his now free wrists as the blood began to flow again. He had a feeling he was going to wake the next morning with a bracelet of bruises on each wrist.

"Why did they let us go?" asked Ori, voicing the question that he was sure the others were all wondering.

"I think we need to ask our burglar for the answer," answered Balin, who was watching the Hobbit. "What did you say to him at the end?"

"I made a new deal with him," Bilbo explained, still rubbing his wrists. "I told him if he let me go too then I would give him something."

"What... What did you promise?" Bofur asked, looking like he was dreading the answer.

He sighed and braced himself for the impact. "My portion of the treasure."

He was not disappointed.

"What?! Why would you do that?!"

"You can't give our gold to an Elf!"

"Bilbo, you should have offered something else! Anything but that!"

"You can't do that! It rightfully belongs to you!"

"We aren't going to fight Smaug just so that weed eater can get his grubby hands all over our treasure!"

"Enough." Thorin did not need to raise his voice to silence the Dwarves. They all went quiet and looked to him as he turned to Bilbo with his dark eyes. Bilbo tried not to flinch back or run far, far away from those eyes. In his experience, they never brought anything good.

"What you decide to do with your portion of the treasure is your business," the Dwarf acknowledged quietly. "But that deal only applies if you live. If you die in this confrontation with Smaug then Thranduil gets nothing. Understood?"

"Understood," he agreed, feeling a bit amused by the demand. If he was dead, then he didn't think his first concern would be if Thranduil got his reward or not.

"Good." Thorin turned back to trail before them and raised his chin high in challenge. "Now let's get out of this blasted forest once and for all."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 19.2K 24
"๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™›, ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ง๐™ก. ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ฃ๐™– ๐™จ๐™š๐™š ๐™ž๐™ฉ" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
104K 2.7K 26
seonghwa x reader she/her pronouns my first fanfic ever ๐Ÿฅบ constructive criticism is encouraged!!! please!!! there's smut but i'll put warnings
203K 6.1K 41
A speedster Stiles, the pack, and team Flash. What more could you ask for? Idea by: Jimenavivanco1 (I feel like this story is trash tbh. I use to hav...
1.1M 38.2K 63
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...