Keeping up with ZIAM (The Con...

By ZJMforlife

After "The Wedding of the Century" everything was smooth sailing for all of them. Life had been normal the la... More

Introduction
The announcement part two
Christmas at the Malik-Paynes
"Stop the tape, and rewind"
"HBD Zayn."
What friends are for
Bibs and relocating?
Tale of two lives
Zayns name list
Summer '09
The announcement part 3?
The nightmare
Pandoras box
Niallers dilema
Time differences and mixed emotions
Selling Ziam
The O Group
How did this happen?
Secrets unveiled
"Uh oh"
The boy he never knew
Catch up with your past, before it catches up to you
Paternity test
Through the hard times
To come to terms
Uninspired and Anxious
The truth
Conclusive
The first family dinner
4-7-8
Homecoming
Empathy and sympathy
Early bird gets the french toast
First week
Grandmas know best
"You and I plus Ezra, the baby, and Loki too"
Take Me Home
One big complicated family
Crossing the pond
Chez Ziam
The post seen around the world
Summer daze
Uncle Haz
Blast from the past
New car tension
Grass might be greener
Guilt is the theif of life
Better left unsaid or not brought up
"Can we just talk"
Hes just another kind of boy
Reckless behavior
Shallow waters
Zayns brain game
Zezra day
"It's a small world after all"
Betrayal
Special Delivery
Temptation

The first family lunch

62 6 0
By ZJMforlife

The car ride to the place was silent. Neither knew what to say so they just left it at that. This was definitely a learn as they went process which was scary for Liam. He liked an agenda and knowing things. It must be why all of this going on right now and even years back with the contract, it was so foreign to him.

Ever since he could remember his life was pretty much laid out for him to a T. In fact, almost too planned out on his fathers part, given the contract. That aside, everything else was mapped out. He was always surrounded by a schedule and the exuberance of his parents life, so he picked up on it and liked planning things. It was natural to him.

They arrived and parked both sighing out longly. "You ready?" Zayn asked. It threw Liam off because it was he who should he asking him that.

"Are you?" He said quizzically unbuckling his belt.

"I don't know... Zayn said as he drew out a shaky breath. He looked to Liam then turned to exit the car. The other man sighed but shrugged it off.

They entered the restaurant as Niall and Louis spotted them seeing as they were sat facing them. Andy and Ezra's backs were to them, but as they caught the two men's gaze toward the door, they turned around and were met with the presence of Zayn and Liam.

When they neared the table Andy stood up to greet Zayn as the boy sat there nervous. It was one thing to meet Liam his actual father, and it was another to meet someone who he was never familiar with, who was his fathers husband. Andy made sure to have that conversation with him when he first gave him that file with the picture.

Sure he didn't have a name or face to Liam for a long time, but he knew he existed. The arm in the torn up picture next to his mother always gave him a sort of hope that he was somewhere. Actually Meeting Zayn, his now step father, and not just a few exchange of words in the doorway of their home was strange. "What if he doesn't want me?" He thought to himself.

"Hi Zayn. Nice to see you again. Andy said shaking the raven haired man's hand. "Liam." He said shaking the other man's hand firmly receiving a nod.

"Hello." Zayn said with a half smile.

"Ezra. I know you've already kind of met him, but this is Zayn, Liams husband. Then obviously Liam." He said turning around to the boy and gesturing towards the man.

"Hi." Ezra said quickly offering a smile then waving and putting his head back down.

"Hey there!" Zayn said as he waved along with Liam who smiled but soon it fell because Ezra immediately looked away. Niall and Louis were on the edge of their seats darting back and forth between the people.

"Have a seat!" Andy said while sitting back in his seat. The only ones left available were one that was next to Louis on their side, and the other right next to Ezra on his side. They moved to them with Zayn hesitating to sit at the one next to the boy, but Louis pat the chair next to him so he obliged and sat there. Liam approached the chair next to Ezra with a nervous look as he scooted the chair out and pulled himself back in awkwardly clearing his throat.

Ezra tensed up feeling the man's presence sit down next to him. He knew it was Liam even though he was looking down, because Zayn had appeared at the top of his sight in front of him next to Louis. All these years he's wondered where he was at and what happened to him, yet here he was and he didn't know what to say as he looked up to him where he was greeted with a warm smile.

As Zayn, Niall, and Louis fell into a chat, Liam decided to turn to the boy. "Hey Ezra! So I uh- saw you kicking the ball I have in the backyard the other day. You're very coordinated! Do you take up footie? Liam said trying to break the ice.

"Oh. Y-yah. Uh- thank you sir- I mean Liam. Sorry... I was on the club team outside of school since I'm just a fifth year. Year seven is when secondary school try outs are for an actual team so I was going to spend all year training with my club mates." He said with a hint of joy. He knew it wasn't his choice but he came to like the sport. It made him excited to talk about what he liked with someone. When he realized that he wouldn't be able to try out with some of his classmates and teammates, it made him sad.

Liam didn't go without noticing his face drop slightly. His chest felt like it tightened. He knew recollecting the thought of his life in Wolverhampton probably is what made him sad so he tried to change the subject seamlessly. "Liam is just fine. Sir make me feel old, and club is fun! I never got the chance to be in a club team so I'm sort of jealous. Let me ask you this... Messi or Ronaldo?" He said crossing his arms on the table and raising his brow.

It's like instantly Ezra felt comfort wash over him. He wasn't tense or on edge anymore. Someone who could talk about the sport with him was good in his book and the fact that his now father was knowledgeable about it made him all the more happy.

"Mmm... Ronaldo. He's just super quick with his feet and has precise aim with his kicks." He said as the corner of his mouth curled up.

For the most part, while Louis and Niall discussed something Zayn was tuned in, but since Liam sat in front of him, he could see him and Ezra interacting. It was a sight he only saw when Liam had Ashton or Freddie around. Anytime since they had been married and he interacted with a child it always warmed Zayns heart so why wasn't it doing it now? He thought.

Andy was typing away at his phone, as Louis and Niall continued. Seconds later the waitress came to the table and took everyone's drinks and food orders. After she left Niall ended up talking to Andy across from him about something, and Liam and Ezra kept talking about sports. Louis turned to Zayn cautious not to speak loud enough for the ones around them to hear. Luckily the music that played above their heads was loud enough to block out surrounding conversations enough.

"You okay there Z?" Louis asked directly next to him.

"Yeah. I'm fine... why do you ask?" He responded back.

"You haven't really said a word." He shrugged to him.

"Sorry. Just a lot... you know?"

"Yeah. You know if you ever feel like talking I'm always here for you. I know this is all at once but I believe in the both of you." Louis said sounding as sympathetic as he possibly could. Zayn picked up on it and wanted to just bust out crying. If he believed it then why didn't he feel like it himself?

"Thanks Lou. Of course." Zayn said with a plastered smile, but deep down Louis knew there was more than he let on. Their food arrived while they all dug in. Occasionally they would tune into what one person had to say, which for the most part was Louis and Niall trying to cut the air. This time however it was Andy.

"So Zayn! Last time I had seen you was probably the wedding right?" He said questionably. He knew it was then but he hadn't said anything to Zayn just yet and it was long overdue.

He froze for a second at his name as he was finishing his burger. He wasn't expecting Andy to talk to him, since they had been already more than halfway through the meal. "Uhm yeah. I guess that's how long it's been." He said with a really big smile.

"Wow time flies! Seems like it was just yesterday to be honest, right boys? Niall told me you were working on your own line. That's amazing! He said addressing the others. Ezra just looked between all of them as each nodded in agreement. Then everyone looked to Zayn as he was addressed.

"Yeah it does seem like just yesterday and thank you. Its slowly coming along and I'd rather wait when I'm settled in LA to fully release it." He said with another smile and a shrug this time.

"Oh and he tells me you teach literature at the university you graduated from. You just do everything don't you. I mean modeling, designing, and being a professor... I can barely deal with my one career." He said with a sigh. Everyone laughed a bit but Liam looked at Zayn with so much admiration. Andy was right. Zayn made everything  he handled look easy.

"Well thank you. I'm not a professor more of a TA. I kinda go in and out of it sometimes so I don't have my phd quite yet." Zayn said getting shy.

Ezra looked at Zayn. He knew what a Phd was so that meant the man had graduated 4 years of college and he was still going to school at least part time. He was wowed because that meant you had to be smart to go to school that long. For him at least.

"So will you be transferring out to a university in the area?

"I thought about UCLA or CSU at Northridge but we'll see." He said finishing his meal.

Ezra had barely spoke to Zayn the whole time because he was nervous. Little did he know the older man was feeling the exact same way. For the most part he just would chuckle at something the man had said, or nod along. Luckily for him Zayn wasn't the one talking this whole meal. It was mostly Niall and Louis trying to make conversation so that it wasn't awkward.

"Milkshakes anyone?" Andy asked

"I'm good, I actually have to go. I have a listing that needs renovations and the contractors are stopping by. I'll see you all later. Andy it was nice seeing you again. Ezra it was nice meeting you. See yah." Louis said as they all said bye to him. He looked pointedly at Zayn and Liam but he only received looks of uncertainty from both. He bit his lip but when he looked at Niall, he was met with a thumbs up from the lad. With that he left and waved them off.

"I'll take the salted caramel." Niall said as he perked up due to Louis leave.

"Can I get a shake too?" Ezra asked.

"Of course! What flavor will you have?"

"Chocolate please." The boy said softly. Just in time the waitress came and jotted the flavors down that had already been said. When he said the flavor, Zayn and Liam looked to one another because while it may have just been a coincidence, he had the same flavor choice as Liam.

"I'll take a chocolate too." Liam said with a small smile looking to the waitress then to Ezra as the boy found it interesting he ordered the same flavor. It was common bust still.

"I'll have a mint chocolate chip shake if you have one." Zayn said while she came to Andy who ordered a simple vanilla one.

Soon the lady came with all the shakes and handed them to their designated person. They all enjoyed as Niall began to tell some crazy celebrity stories that he's had in the past, of course, only things that the general public already had knowledge of because that would definitely break non disclosure agreements.

When they were finished with the after meal shakes, Andy stayed behind to pay the bill as he ushered the rest of them to the entrance. Niall laughed with Ezra seeing as he had spent all of the last week with him, so of course he was more comfortable with him.

"So I uhm- had this plan to invite Andy and Ezra to dinner tonight at our house. It seems only fitting. I do have to speak with him about the custody transfer but I want to get your say on this..." Liam said turning to Zayn with a softer voice, just loud enough for only him to hear.

"Why? I-it shouldn't be up to me though." Zayn asked with a tilt of his head.

"Well if you think it's too soon for him to come over then I'd like to know. If anything we could meet at a restaurant like this then, you know some place neutral." He said scratching his temple.

"If you want to have dinner at the house then have dinner at the house. He's yours Li so whatever you think is best, is what's best. I shouldn't have a say in this matter. I'm fine with it." Zayn stated kinda of coldly for Liam's liking. Maybe his stance with his husband was still on edge but also it made Liam kind of mad about the way he responded.

"Well I think you should. Your opinion matters to me Zee whether you think it or not. Are you sure it's fine because you really don't sound like it. You know we still have to discuss this and not just brush it off." He said with a hint of annoyance.

Zayn sighed because sometimes his mouth and his tone got the best of him so he knew what he said may have come off wrong. "Let's not do this here... I'm sorry. I know that sounded rude. Trust me Liam. I'm really trying to process all of this still. He's yours and now there's no denying that so whatever we need to do is what we need to do. Just don't rely all of this on my feelings please."

"I-" he sighed trying to calm himself. They were definitely in a neutral place because some people passing by picked up on their tiff. "You're right. I'm sorry too. I'll tell Andy." He said sympathetically.

Andy came just as their exchange had ended. "Ready?" He said patting both men's shoulders as he stood between them.

"Yeah. Thanks for the food Andy. What will you and Ezra be doing for dinner tonight? If it's possible could you both come around say 6:30?" He asked addressing him.

"Sure I don't see why not. He seemed to have an okay time so yeah well be there." He said with another pat then moving to Niall and Ezra who were pointing outside the window.

"I think she's listening to hard rock like heavy metal type music." Niall said pointing to a convertible.

"That sweet old lady? No! It has to be Classical music." Ezra laughed out.

"Hey Ez. We'll be going to Liam and Zayns house tonight for dinner... that okay?" He asked.

"Y-yeah that sounds nice. I like their dog." He said with a smile.

"Awesome." Andy said and turned to the two men standing behind him expectantly showing a thumbs up. "We'll be there! See you later. Come on Ezra. Say bye."

"It was nice having lunch with you both." He said with another slight wave. "Goodbye. Bye Ni." He said as he headed out the door following Andy.

"See you Ez!" Niall waved back. As the two got out of sight of the massive windows heading down the street Niall turned to the two men. Neither were acting like they usually did and it pained Niall to see. Zayn was rubbing his arm looking around, as Liam pulled out his phone.

"So uh- dinner tonight then? Can Louis and I go?" He asked breaking the silence.

"Yes of course. I'll order something for us so you don't have to cook Zayn. I know its pretty last minute." He said.

"Sure sounds good." The other said with shrug.

"Okay... we'll I'll see you both tonight. Gotta get back to the firm." Niall awkwardly drawled out looking between the two. His and Louis private conversations about the couple have come true. This just might cause a rift between the two and as their friend it worried him more so than as their PR manager.

When he exit the building he turned back to see Zayn and Liam walking to their vehicle a bit of distance between them. He texted Louis telling him what the plans were for the evening. He may have included a small short paragraph about the way they were acting, but not to gossip. He and Louis were just concerned for them, plus the boy now.

The past two years had been nothing but smooth sailing for them. It was really rare for them to have fought or gone back and forth so to see it now was new and it worried them. Each would do anything in their power to help of course, but they knew they could only do so much. This had to resolve within them and they all saw how that went when they first signed the contract.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

459 23 8
It's been years since the five most well known men have been together. Ever since their split, they have been doing their own thing and they have bee...
39.9K 2K 23
✓Completed Life has a very funny way of working, I realized it through the hard way. It throws things at you that scares you the most. It makes you f...
87.2K 3.8K 23
Liam and Zayn were the power couple in their high school, Liam being the captain of the football team and Zayn being the captain of the dance team. E...
14.9K 1K 22
[COMPLETED] "Here's to the ones that we got Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not 'Cause the drinks bring back all the memories Of everyth...