Azmaish-e-Ishq

By ChalWahanJaateHain

Heer Qureshi and Salaar Riaz have been best friends and next-door neighbors since they were in diapers. Life... More

Aesthetics
Ch. 1: Blue Butterfly Latte
Ch. 2: Honey Macchiato
Ch. 3: Fall Equinox Formal
Ch. 4: The Scammer
Ch. 5: Secrets and Dates
Ch. 6: Cinnamon Brewn
Ch. 7: Snickerdoodles
Ch. 8: Friendsgiving
Ch. 9: I Love You(s)
Ch. 10: Wounds
Ch. 11: Double Date
Ch. 12: The Photo Wall
Ch. 13: Home Decorating
Ch. 14: Wedding Bells
Ch. 15: The Vanishing Act
Ch. 16: Nikkah
Ch. 17: The Red Ghost
Ch. 18: The Grand Affair
Ch. 19: The Paper Balls
Ch. 20: An Unwanted Visitor
Ch. 21: Confrontations
Ch. 22: Chai & Kebabs
Ch. 23: The Husband Card
Ch. 24: Jenga
Ch. 25: Healing Isn't Linear
Ch. 26: First Date
Ch. 27: Unfinished Business
Ch. 28: Jealousy
Ch. 29: Rihan
Ch. 30: BBQ
Ch. 31: Kashmiri Chai
Ch. 32: Frog Becomes a Prince
Ch. 33: Stargazing
Ch. 34: Treehouse
Ch. 36: Beauty and the Beast
Ch. 37: The Pond
Ch. 38: The Envelope
Epilogue

Ch. 35: Kiss of Death

520 19 11
By ChalWahanJaateHain

🎶"Teri judaai ke mausaam tanhaai ke, leke main jaoon kahan? Yeh khwaab kaanton se din raat aankhon mein chubhte hai har pal yahan. Dard jaata nahin, maut aati nahin. Kabhi aise na kisi ka dil tootein. Kisi se koi pyaar na karein.

With this season of loneliness caused by your separation, where do I go? My dream pricks my eyes day and night like a thorn every moment here. The pain doesn't go, death doesn't come. May no one's heart ever break like this. No one should fall in love."🎶

- Dhoke Pyaar Ke | Rashmi Virag | B Praak

Kamran's P.O.V.

She was as I had remembered her. Slightly aged, indicated by the strands of grey in her medium-length black hair, fine lines on her face, and thinner frame, but still beautiful.

Her maternal, kind aura illuminated around her, making me regret each and every passing moment that I had spent with her out of my life, that I had spent painting an evil picture of her.

She pushed herself off the sofa slowly and made her way towards me. Her hands lifted to my cheeks, cradling them as her fingers shook with emotion, "Kamran."

"Assalamwalaikum, Ami," my eyes watered simultaneously as tears streamed down her face.

"Walaikumsalam, beta." She hugged me before touching my face again, "How you have grown!" She caressed my head, "You look so much like your father." A watery chuckle left her lips, "Just as tall too."

"Kaisi hai aap?"
(How are you?)

"Zabardast. Aur tum? Aao, baitho. Dekho, tumhare liye yeh sab banaya hai maine. Tumhe pasand tha, na?" she gestured towards the paneer chutney sandwiches and flaky chicken patties, "Aur bachpan mein yeh lychee juice peete the. Yaad hai? Bazaar se mangwayi hai maine. Aur jab main tumse milne jaati thi tumhare boarding school mein, yeh mithai le jaati thi. Pata nahin tumhe aaj bhi pasand hai ya nahin, lekin maine-"
(Amazing. And you? Come, sit. Look, I have made all this for you. You used to like it, right? And you used to drink this lychee juice during your childhood. Do you remember? I ordered it from the market. And when I used to go visit you at your boarding school, I used to take this sweet. I don't know if you still like it or not, but I-)

I took her hand, asking quietly, "Itne saal baad... Nafrat nahin karti hain aap mujhse?"
(After all these years... Don't you hate me?)

Her expression faltered. She sat down on the sofa, and I kneeled in front of her as my tears fell.

I placed my other hand on top of hers, mustering the courage to look into her eyes. "Bohat bura hoon na main, Ami?"
(I'm very bad. Right, Ami?)

"Nahin," she shook her head, wiping my cheeks, "Nahin, beta. Mera ek lauta bachcha ho. Nafrat kaise karoon main tumhe? Aur kyun?"
(No. No, dear. You are my only child. How can I hate you? And why?)

"Itne saal se koi raabta nahin-"
(I haven't contacted you all these years-)

She offered tenderly, "Ami ne kuch kaha hoga, iss liye naraz-"
(Ami must have said something, that's why you were upset-)

"Nahin," I shook my head. "Galti maine ki. Auron ke baaton mein aa ke, maine aap ke saath bohat na-insaafi ki."
(No. I made the mistake. Falling for others' words, I was very unjust towards you.)

A knowing look came on her face. She knew who I was referring to.

"I shouldn't have listened to them blindly, Ami. But I didn't know better. I was angry. And in that anger, I broke many hearts."

"Heer," she whispered.

I bit my trembling lower lip, lowering my gaze. "She made me realize that I should have asked you. I was foolish, Ami."

"You accepted what your uncles told you. You were a child, Kamran. How can I blame you? And these matters were beyond your scope. How would you have even questioned your mother about something like that at that age?"

"Don't be so nice to me. I don't deserve it. Don't go easy on me."

"Oh, beta," her hand caressed my head. "You're here now, aren't you?"

"That doesn't make up for all these years."

"Stop being so hard on yourself, Kamran."

"What else can I do?" I searched her matching pooled brown orbs. "I hate myself. I'm a loser, Ami. The biggest loser. Just- just why? why did they think that? I wouldn't have held so much- I was away from you for so long- Why did they tell me-"

"Because they saw Imran Bhai and I together at your father's funeral."

Heer's P.O.V.

I threw my head back and groaned.

"What's wrong, machchar?" Salaar's voice blared through my phone speakers.

He was in Glasgow. He had just completed the third day of his convention. After telling me all about it, he was relaxing in his hotel room.

"Nothing. I was reminded of Hayat. Our wedding planning definitely takes priority, but I was just wondering about the investor thing. That's the first step in starting the new branch, but I have no clue where to start in even finding one. I want to find some somehow and shortlist them before I get Baba involved. It's my project after all, I don't want to trouble him too much."

"I'm sure he would be happy to help, but I get what you mean... There's this new project we're starting soon. A company based in New York got a new investor from London so they're opening a new location in London. I think the investor is Amoorain Corporation or something like that. You could look into them."

Amoorain Corporation. Why did that name sound so familiar?

I pulled my laptop closer and searched the company. "Aw, Sally. I think it's too big of a company for me. Their clientele includes prestigious companies, hotels, and other big scale things. They wouldn't invest in a small coffee shop."

"You don't know that. Maybe Hayat could be their first coffee shop venture."

"I'm not too sure, balım."

"It doesn't hurt to try."

"Mm, I'll see." I looked at my phone when I heard a beeping noise. "I'll call you back, canım. Haniya's calling me."

"The team and I are headed to dinner in a bit. I'll call you after instead, baby."

"Sounds good. Bye."

"Bye."

I accepted Hani's incoming call. "Hani! What's up?"

"My blood pressure!"

"Why?!" I laughed.

"Hizan asked me out on a date!"

"Really?!"

"Why do you sound so excited?! I'm literally pacing in my bedroom as we speak."

"Because he likes you! This could be the start of something great!"

"Yeah right! Me and Hizan?! Are you serious?"

"Quite. The fact that you haven't said no already suggests you're not entirely opposed to it."

"I-I, I just didn't know how to respond."

"Tell him yes. Just give him a chance, Hani. You said he's different now."

"And he's quite fit," she murmured to herself, thinking I wouldn't hear.

"What?!"

"Nothing!"

"I heard that! Okay, what are you going to wear?"

"Ugh! Fine. I don't know. I was thinking a mauve top with light jeans. He wants to watch a movie then get food."

"Oo, I know which top you're talking about. That's going to be a cute outfit. I love it."

"Really? Okay. And my hair?"

"I think a ponytail would be good with some strands of your bangs in the front."

"Me too. Wait! Heer, don't tell Daniaal. I won't ever hear the end of it."

"You most definitely won't if you and Hizan get married."

"Married?! It's just movie and dinner!"

"That's how it starts!"

"Don't say that. That's scary!"

"Let me know if that's what you still think after the date. When is it?"

"Tomorrow night."

"You better not be working tomorrow. I'll ask Alejandra to give you off so you can get ready in peace."

"I have a morning shift. I'll be fine. I'd rather stay busy at work than worry alone at home until afternoon."

"You got this, Hani. No need to be nervous. I think, if anything, he's liked you for years."

"What?! Why do you think that?"

We continued chatting until she had to go. After I had dinner, I got into bed and stared at the empty spot next to me.

And as if he knew, he called back right then. "Hey baby. I just got back to my hotel room."

"How was dinner?"

"Good. I had lobster ravioli. What about you?"

"Fancy. I had the rest of the Italian food I ordered yesterday."

"Nice. When are you going to sleep?"

"I'm in bed... I miss you a lot, ruhum," I expressed sadly.

"I miss you too, sweetheart. Just one more day."

"Sunday can't come soon enough. It's barely Saturday tomorrow."

He chuckled softly, "Barely?"

"Yes, barely. You should be proud of me for bearing all these days without you by myself!"

"I'm always proud of you, sweetheart."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," he chuckled. "Speaking of Saturday, you're going to the coordinator tomorrow, right?"

We found a wedding coordinator here in London. They're willing to travel to Manchester for our big day.

"Yes. I'm going to drop off the deposit in the afternoon."

"I left a check for it in the side table. Take that."

"Sally! Why?! I told you I was going to pay for that. You already paid for the catering and the photographer."

"Because I wanted to."

"Salaar! This isn't fair."

"You know what else isn't fair? Not getting your goodnight kisses. You'll have to give me one for each night we missed on Sunday."

"Well, whose fault is that?"

"Uh... the convention organizer's? For inviting Ascension?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "Theirs too."

I heard the sound of a door opening in the background. "Love, Stan's here, so I have to go now. I'll text you when I wake up. I love you, baby. Goodnight."

He was sharing the room with his coworker, Stan.

"Okay. Goodnight, ruhum. I love you too."

After a quick FaceTime call with Salaar the following early afternoon, I went to drop off the check then came back. After I parked my car, I entered the lobby and decided to check the mail. I was expecting my doctor's report.

Salaar's P.O.V.

The familiar buildings leading to mine and Heer's flat came into sight as I stared out the car window.

I had told Heer that the convention ends after Saturday, but it actually ended yesterday, so I was coming home 'earlier' to surprise her.

The car dropping me and Stan off pulled up to the sidewalk, and I got out with my duffle bag.

"See you Monday, Stan," I waved.

"See ya, Salaar!" I heard as the car drove off.

I began walking to the front of the complex. Heer should be home. Last we texted, she said she had just parked after coming home from visiting the coordinator's office.

A smile graced my lips at the thought of my butterfly. Maybe I should drive to the market and buy some flowers first. Yes. That would be a good idea.

I couldn't wait to see her pretty smile when she opens the door and sees me when I get back home. And her gorgeous eyes—my day isn't complete without seeing them.

My eyes began lifting off the pavement with the intention of looking up at our bedroom window when they caught sight of two figures standing several feet in front of me.

It was Kamran. He was holding a girl by the arms, whose back was to me. Long black hair, petite frame, milky skin—Heer.

My legs came to a standstill, the strap of my duffle bag dropping from my shoulder, down to my wrist.

He was looking at her with concern, and before I could blink, he cradled her face and leaned down, kissing her lips.

And it was in that moment that my heart sank and my entire surroundings turned dark.

"Heer," I managed to call simultaneously as she stepped back.

Her head snapped towards me. Her wet, pink eyes widened. She glanced at Kamran then back at me, stammering, "S-Salaar." She began making her way towards me frantically, an envelope falling from her hands and onto the ground, "Salaar!"

Heer's P.O.V.

"Salaar! It's not what you're thinking!" I cupped his cheeks, shaking my head as my tears spilled endlessly.

The lump in my throat grew bigger when I saw tears starting to pool in his eyes.

But he wouldn't look at me. He was staring ahead at Kamran with a mix of emotions that conveyed he had taken everything away from him.

"Salaar, look at me, please!" I begged, "It's not what it looked-"

"Then?" he murmured stoically.

"Let's go inside and I'll explain everything!"

His hands lifted to my wrists, pulling my hands down gently from his face. He took off towards the building's main doors.

"Salaar! Salaar! Salaar, please!" I shadowed his steps.

He went into the indoor parking lot and approached his car when I ran in front of him, wrapping an arm around his neck and cradling his cheek while I cried desperately, "Ruhum, please. Meri baat suno. I love you-"
(Listen to what I have to say.)

He untangled himself from me.

"I love you, Salaar. I would nev-"

"I... I think I need some space, Heer," he said quietly, still avoiding eye contact with me.

His words felt like a punch to the gut. I could do nothing but stare, utterly heartbroken, while he opened the car door and got inside.

"Please," I whispered with a sob, "Please." I whimpered as his car pulled out and left the lot, "It's not what it seems. I need you. Please."

Salaar's P.O.V.

I drove around aimlessly for hours until it felt like my head would explode. The image of them kissing would not leave my mind. Over and over. There was no end. Every memory that tried taking its place was hijacked by the gut-wrenching scene.

Heartbroken? No.

I felt lifeless.

Every breath I took felt like a struggle, like a burden on my chest. My throat appeared to be growing tighter until it would suffocate me.

I wiped my face with my sleeve and pulled up to a convenience shop when it felt like my mind was bursting at the seams.

"You alright?" the middle-aged cashier probed, studying my pink eyes.

I gave him a nod. "Give me a gold."

He slid the box of Marlboro cigarettes over to me. "Anything else?"

"A lighter."

I collected the receipt along with the two items after I paid.

"You gonna pay for that? If not, get out of here," the cashier addressed the man in the liquor aisle.

"Ay man, spare me a 10?" the grim customer gave me a sideways grin, "I'm short. You look like you could use one yourself. Why don't you do both of us a little favor?"

My eyes fell in contemplation to the clear glass bottle in his hands.

Heer's P.O.V.

My head throbbed from crying, but the tears wouldn't stop.

Sat in front of the coffee table on the floor, I reached for my phone for the nth time.

Had he turned off his phone or had he blocked my number?

My swollen eyes checked the time. 9:04 PM. It's been hours. Was he not going to come home?

I opened my text thread with Daniaal. "Hey. Salaar went out and for some reason my texts aren't sending. I don't know if my phone's being weird or what. I'm at the flat. Can you please call him and ask when he's coming home?"

"Hey Bhabi. Ofc. I'll lyk what he says"

"Thank you"

He messaged four minutes later. "He's not answering. I'm sure he's ok. I'll lyk if he calls back. U alright?"

"Yes. Thanks"

The events of the afternoon replayed in my mind again.

It was too much. It was like the walls were closing in on me.

Everything was going so well. Our wedding is in two months and the planning's almost done. We're madly in love and things couldn't be better between us. But then all of sudden, Kamran showed up and I got-

My lips curled into a sob.

I love him. I love him like crazy. And I thought he knew that. I thought he trusts me. He knows his butterfly would never cheat on him, that she would never do anything to hurt him.

Right?

"I... I think I need some space, Heer." The words echoed in my ears repeatedly, shattering my heart over and over again.

Space. That was one thing we could never bear between each other. We couldn't go without hearing from each other for too long, let alone without seeing each other. But now that's all that there was between us at the moment. Space.

My knees pressed to my chest as I wrapped my arms around them, curling up into a ball while I wept.

"Pura ka pura toot jaoonga agar tum uske paas chali gayi toh. Phir sambhal nahin paaonga main, Heer. Maut azmaati hai mujhe bas iss khayal se."
(I will break entirely if you go to him. I won't be able to put myself back together again, Heer. Death embraces me at this mere idea.)

The look in his eyes, the sound of his voice—I broke him.

"Nahin. Tumne zubaan di thi mujhe. Aur mujhe tum pe aitebaar hai. I don't doubt you for a second."
(No. You gave me your word. And I trust you...)

And I broke his trust.

Words couldn't explain how upset I am for causing him so much pain. My biggest fears came true today, and I too am shattered. All I needed and wanted was him. So I could explain, so we could comfort each other. Oh, how badly I wish today never happened.

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Author's Note

Oh no! An unexpected whirlwind of a chapter perhaps. Let me know your thoughts and feelings in the comments! What did you think of Kamran's meeting with his mum? What Salaar saw between Heer and Kamran? What he's doing at the convenience store?

A way shorter chapter than usual, but I didn't want to elongate it with unnecessary filler scenes. With that being said, I want to inform you all that there are perhaps 2-3 chapters left before the epilogue 😭

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 1.4K 10
Once upon a time, An eighteen years old girl was in love with a boy, she use to pray for him... Crying in Sujood and beg Allah to make that easy for...
6.3K 370 43
"Wait a second. What the hell are you doing here?" She said when she realized who he is and he smiled. "Well.." He turned to me with a smile. "I ca...
29.6K 1.3K 19
"Go and meet your bride, son. She is waiting in my room. She is on fire." Di said smiling and I sighed smiling while all just laughed. "The time I t...