Promise

By TigerWooong

All Wooyoung wanted was to get out of this lousy old town, escaping the problems that lie within it. When he... More

01: Meeting
02: Car Ride
03: Fear
04: The Leader
05: Hoodie
06: Cold Tears
07: Not a Date
08: Can't Sleep
09: The Snake and The Chain
10: Listen To Me
11: Too Far
12: Safe Place
14: Sector 1
15: The Past
16: A Special Moment
17: Count On Me
18: The Unexpected
19: Maniac
20: By Your Side
21: My Story
22: A Date?
23: Not Too Late
24: Reunion
25: Official
26: Heated
27: Fighter
28: Killer
29: Vampire Blood
30: No More Secrets
31: Double Take
32: Blood On My Hands
33: A Future Reflected On The Past
34: Wash It Away
35: Healing Process
36: Lost In My Mind
37: Closure

13: Injury

417 20 12
By TigerWooong

"San, I'm really going to need you to back up. I can't work with you watching me like that."

The voice sounded familiar, but Wooyoung was still on the brink of being conscious and unconscious, so he couldn't entirely make out who exactly was speaking. Hearing San's name though in a civil manner at least reassured him that he was safe.

"I have backed up! How much more space do you need?" That voice was for sure San, and he seemed defensive for whatever reason.

"San, I can practically feel you breathing down the back of my neck. Please, Wooyoung will be okay, you don't need to watch my every move." It was the same voice as the first, pleading with his entire soul at this point.

"You should listen to Yeosang, he is the one treating him after all." A different voice, somewhat lighter but spoke sternly. They at least confirmed who the first voice was.

"Why the hell are you even in here? This doesn't pertain to you, especially with how you feel towards Wooyoung!" San snapped, sounding strained, voice cracking as he raised his voice.

"That's it. San, leave. Yeosang can't work like this and you aren't listening to us." A commanding voice spoke, yet didn't entirely sound intimidating.

"I'm not leaving unless if Jongho leaves." San huffed, voice louder as if he moved closer to Wooyoung.

"Jongho...." The commanding voice sighed, it clicked this was Hongjoong.

"Yeah I'll leave." Jongho almost chuckled, but restrained himself.

Footsteps bounced off the walls, then another pair moments later. A door opened and closed with a soft thud, trapping the room in a relieving silence.

"Thanks captain." Yeosang sighed in relief as the sound of shuffling was heard. Scissors cut something, snipping through the air, a few thuds, something tearing, and the rattling of some kind of content within a bottle.

"Sure." Hongjoong responded, voice much closer than it was previously.

"I don't even remember Yunho being like that towards Mingi." Yeosang kind of laughed to himself.

Wooyoung's eyes moved a little underneath his lids. It seemed he was startled by a force picking up his hand, warmer than his own. Then he felt a tightness begin to wrap around it, securing it in an odd feeling texture.

"Yeah, the two bonds are very different from what I've gathered." Hongjoong responded mellowly, a sigh following after. "Be careful with your words, I believe he's waking up."

Yeosang hummed right as a pressure pressed against Wooyoung's forehead. The hunter wished he could gain control of his body, open his eyes, do something. It felt tormenting that he was able to listen in this state, but not do anything to show he was in fact awake. At least, he thought he was awake.

"Oh? Has his heart sped up?" Yeosang asked hesitantly, as he spoke Wooyoung could feel that no one was looking at him anymore. Perhaps it meant the two vampires were looking to each other instead.

"Yes. Which reminds me, we never spoke about your condition." Hongjoong replied in a concerned manner, though his voice remained strong.

"I'd rather not if we're being listened to." Yeosang mumbled, the feeling of a gaze returning on Wooyoung's body.

"At least just answer this right now. Is it worse?" Hongjoong kept his words vague on purpose, understanding of the youngers situation.

"Yes." Yeosang breathed out, sounding defeated with that one word. "It scares me."

"Why don't you let us get you help then?" Hongjoong returned in a softer manner. Wooyoung could hear what sounded like patting, making him assume Hongjoong might've had a hand on Yeosang's shoulder or something.

"It's too dangerous. I don't know what anyone would even be able to do with what I am. Not to mention how hunters guard any and all types of hospitals like crazy now." Yeosang didn't sound as defeated, but his tone wasn't light like it previously was.

"I have some people that owe me some favors. I can make it happen if you just say the word." Hongjoong emphasized his speech more than before, worry overtaking his demeanor.

Silence.

"I'll think about it." Yeosang muttered, scoffing a little. "I can't believe you still had me talking about it."

"You could've stopped the conversation at any time. I was getting whatever info I could." Hongjoong chuckled, a playful edge to his voice.

"Shouldn't you be interrogating San right about now? I mean...he hardly told you anything about what happened. And for that matter, we don't even know if we're safe or not. We have no idea how many hunters he interacted with, if they're alive—"

"I believe we're safe. Hunters wouldn't leave their town to chase a single vampire. We weren't spotted getting them or leaving anyways. As for knowing what happened, he'll tell me as soon as Wooyoung is awake and can see him. He's preoccupied, and I don't think he'd talk anyways with how worried he is. I don't blame him either. I understand his worry and fear. I think we need to give him some major credit for how he acted instead." Hongjoong spoke as if he was coming from a place of the heart, a sad smile heard in his voice.

"Yeah...you're right." Yeosang let out as a breath, smile also heard in his voice. "I can't believe he controlled himself around the sight and smell of Wooyoung's blood. Yunho couldn't even do that, especially not this early on in the bond forming."

What?

"Like I said, their bond is different." Hongjoong's sad smile seemed to grow. "San has grown a lot in this past month alone. Still, I can't believe how well he controlled himself as well, but I'm thankful we showed up when we did."

"Agreed." Yeosang said in a more solemn manner. "I'm glad I had enough things in my medic bag too, so I was able to get some medicine in both of them." There was a pause for some moments. "I don't mean to bring it up again, but it just worries me that we don't know who attacked them. Or how many there were."

Wooyoung's eyes moved under his lids again. Finally, he was able to open them, only to be blinded by a bright fluorescent light. He physically flinched from the brightness, closing his eyes tight again.

"I think we'll be able to figure out sooner than later." Hongjoong responded with a knowing look. "Thank you for your help Yeosang."

"Of course." The mentioned responded, sounding more upbeat. "Hey Wooyoung, are you with us?"

Wooyoung managed to get himself to hum, though it sounded more like a groan. Mustering some strength he managed to nod his head just enough to be noticeable.

"Should I go get San?" Yeosang asked quietly, almost as if it was taboo.

"Not yet, let's give him a bit to readjust." Hongjoong replied in the same volume he's been using, not catching the memo of keeping his voice down.

Reopening his eyes, Wooyoung managed to keep them open this time. He looked around immediately, finding both Hongjoong and Yeosang to be on his left, the leader closer to his head, the medic by his leg. Looking around further, they seemed to be in some kind of makeshift hospital room, walls and such still consisting of different shades of grey, but filled with things he'd expect to see in an actual hospital.

"Where are we?" Wooyoung managed to ask, voice hoarse to the point it hurt to speak.

"Back at the base. You're safe." Hongjoong said simply, showing a friendly smile. "This is our medical bay, it's on the first floor."

A hum came from Wooyoung, his glossy eyes looking around once more. It made sense with all the grey that they were back at the warehouse. All this medical stuff though, he wondered how they had it here. Though it seemed like other than the equipment itself, they seemed to be running low on the smaller things to use. At least there was hardly anything visible from where Wooyoung laid.

"Wait...what happened?" Wooyoung's brows furrowed as he looked back to Hongjoong for answers. He took a glance at Yeosang who seemed to be analyzing him a bit too closely. While it made him feel a bit uncomfortable, he assumed Yeosang was just making sure he was okay as the medic.

"Yeosang, Seonghwa, and I went to retrieve you and San from his little getaway spot. I assume you remember you two being attacked, but we managed to get you two out of there and back safe without any complications. Yeosang patched you up here, while he took care of San on the ride back here since his injuries were more manageable in those conditions. You'll be okay, but you have a brace on your left knee, you pulled some muscles pretty bad and scraped up your skin, but thankfully no bones were broken. You have some bandages elsewhere to cover some other areas that you scraped, and previous ones in places we assumed San wanted covered to help your bruises heal." Hongjoong explained slowly and with great care, ensuring that Wooyoung understood everything amidst his foggy mind.

"I also kind of had to drug you to ensure I could work without hurting you. So if you feel loopy that's why. I also gave you some other medicines to help you heal better." Yeosang added with a hesitant smile, before it disappeared as he looked away. "It would be better if you stayed seated or laying down, but I mean the brace is on so you can walk if you need to."

Wooyoung sat upright, pushing through the soreness he felt to do so. There was nothing that hurt, so he assumed the medicine he was given was definitely doing its job. He looked down at his legs, seeing how the length of the left side of his pants essentially made them shorts. Looking at the brace, he then realized how confining it felt around his leg and specifically his knee. He felt a frown form on his lips before he could even think about controlling his expression.

Lifting his hands, he looked at the left one which was wrapped tightly in white bandages, the center stained a little with red. The right was a bit tattered, but not enough to need to be covered, not enough to make him bleed. He felt his throat tightened as he began recalling some of the things he overheard the vampires saying.

Looking back to his injured knee, he noticed similar bandages in the gap of the brace that he should see his knee. The red staining that one was more evident.

"I was bleeding...." Wooyoung stated the obvious aloud, voice still hoarse but more quiet.

"Yes, but we can assure you that no one dared to take your blood. You were safe the entire time you were unconscious." Hongjoong reassured, noticing the uncertainty in Wooyoung's features. "Yeosang has great control over himself, which is another reason he's our medic, despite his own desire to pursue the role. Some of the others left the warehouse simply to play it safe, even though I believe that was excessive. San and Jongho were in here for some time as well, San out of obvious concern for you, and Jongho as a backup in case if anything were to of happened. That was simple precaution, since I knew nothing would've happened."

"Where is blondie?" Wooyoung looked up into Hongjoong's eyes as he asked the question.

"Literally out in the hall." Hongjoong chuckled, pointing to the door. "I can hear him out there, and I'm sure he's been listening in on us as well."

Yeosang chuckled to himself, crossing his arms and shaking his head.

"I swear no matter how much soundproofing is in the walls, some of them still find ways to hear conversations through different rooms." Yeosang seemed more at ease, which put Wooyoung at ease as well. He wasn't entirely sure why, but it relaxed both his mind and body regardless.

Hongjoong laughed along with him, head lowering slightly with a smile.

"Yeah, I suppose you're right with that. I guess I should apologize for being one of the main sources of that problem." Hongjoong sounded the most playful Wooyoung's ever heard from the leader. "You know I can't help it half the time."

Yeosang scoffed. "Yeah you eavesdropper, at least you know when to quit it. Unlike some people."

Both vampires eyes went towards the door after those words.

It was quiet for a few moments before a sheepish voice called out. "Does this mean I can come in now?"

"Yes, come in." Hongjoong responded in a fake-tired kind of way, similar to a worn out parent of seven kids.

The door flung open, revealing San who displayed wide eyes. They immediately landed on Wooyoung, who still sat upright, looking over at the vampire at the same time. He couldn't help the smile that formed on his lips, San mirroring it.

"Thank god you're okay." San let out a sigh of relief, disappearing and reappearing right at the hunters side.

Not even a second later Wooyoung was trapped in a suffocating side hug. He let out a squeak of pain, earning a scolding shout from elsewhere.

"I just got him feeling all better, let go of him!" Yeosang was behind San before the blink of an eye, hands on his shoulders to pull him away from Wooyoung.

"Humph, fine." San pouted, letting go on his own accord. Crossing his arms over his chest, he stepped away, glaring at Yeosang, before eyes of adoration went back to Wooyoung.

"Yeosang, do you mind leaving for now? I think now's the time I can talk to the both of them." Gone was the playfulness and back was the stern voice of the leader.

The aura in the room changed. It felt heavier. Wooyoung tore his gaze from San, turning it to the other side to face the redhead.

"Yeah, just text if you need me." Yeosang smiled, showing a small wave as he ducked his head and made his way out of the room. As he left his grumbled words were hardly picked up on by the hunter. "Cause unlike some of you, I can't hear through walls."

The door closed softly behind the brunette, taking his warm atmosphere with him, leaving Wooyoung completely in the cold.

"I don't like the look on your face captain." San sounded meekly, his hesitant eyes looking from Wooyoung to the redhead.

You said exactly what I was thinking.

Hongjoong's featured were forming frowns and creases in his skin. It almost made him look angry, but from the silence it was almost like he was thinking.

"I'm concerned that this is the second time you both were attacked." Hongjoong admitted, shaking his head firmly, arms crossing over his middle. One bent upwards so he could rest his head against his knuckles. "That's two times too many in such a short period of time."

"Oh come on, it isn't that much to worry about." San put on a tough act, words coming out of his mouth nonchalantly, but with Wooyoung not looking at him directly, he was able to show a sign of weakness.

"Easy for you to say." Wooyoung sneered, looking back over his shoulder at San.

Because his action was so fast, he managed to see the split end of San's expression changing. From fear to confidence in the blink of an eye.

"It's almost like the past repeating itself." Hongjoong said so quietly it was hard to tell if he even spoke at all.

"What was that?" San questioned before Wooyoung, both now looking to the redhead.

"Oh, nothing." Hongjoong lifted his head, sad look behind his eyes as he looked between the bonded pair. "Care to tell me what all went down?"

With a sigh Wooyoung and San looked to each other once more. The vampire lifted his hands, motioning for Wooyoung to go first. Scoffing, Wooyoung did as wanted, sharing every detail he could recall of what happened. He told Hongjoong what he told San about his past with Choi Yeonjun, and nothing more. The other stuff wasn't relevant anyways.

From there San added his side of the story. How he was peacefully drinking blood from a random person when right as he finished he was jumped by four hunters, who now San noted all seemed to have eyes that glowed unnaturally bright. He explained that as he was getting cornered, speaking as if he was allowing it to happen, he heard the fire alarm go off in the connivence store and knew Wooyoung was in trouble. To Wooyoung's surprise, San shared how the four were a more difficult opponent than he let on back at that grassy hill, still, he escaped with them all being knocked unconscious and caught up to Wooyoung from there.

Their stories were essentially the same from that point onward.

"That's very strange. That all is." Hongjoong started pacing back and forth along the length of the room. "I've heard rumors about hunters wanting to make stronger forces, but I didn't think it was something that could actually pose a problem to us." He paused to sigh, hand now against the side of his face. "I never thought the potential to align ourselves with other vampire gangs and clans would happen, but it almost seems like the smartest option if hunters are attacking more often, and getting stronger than ever before by whatever means."

"He's gonna talk to himself for a while." San leaned down and whispered right beside Wooyoung's ear.

It caused the smaller to jump, sharply turning his head to face San. Big mistake because now their faces were way too close, and San showed no sign of backing away. Wooyoung forced himself to lean back, glancing past the vampire before finding his eyes again.

"I'm sorry again that you're caught up in all of this." San apologized with a quiet voice, his sincerity leaking through his words.

"Stop apologizing." Wooyoung scoffed, rolling his eyes, leaning back even further. "It's starting to upset me when you say sorry for things like that."

San frowned. "Sorry."

"You lied to me." Wooyoung changed the topic, features hardening as he met the vampires gaze once more. "About being hurt."

"I didn't want you to worry then." San breathed out, finally backing away a bit. He still leaned awkwardly onto Wooyoung's level to ensure his voice could remain low but heard.

Hongjoong still paced and spoke to himself in the background, but the bonded pair paid no attention to him, and vise versa.

"I guess you make up for it by keeping your promise." Wooyoung said in a pouting like manner, looking away completely from everyone in the room.

San's mouth opened to say something, but no words came out.

"I didn't even know I was bleeding, so I should really thank you for doing what you did despite the temptation that must've been in your mind." Wooyoung spoke solemnly, lowering his head so he now looked in his lap. His hands fidgeted a bit, playing with the end of his frayed shirt, to the new tears in what's left of his pants.

"I don't break my promises." The seriousness and sincerity in San's words was so clear it was like a visual image before Wooyoung. "No matter what comes in my way."

"I really appreciate it." Wooyoung breathed out, biting his lower lip as he felt something strange inside of him.

For fucks sake stop thinking that way.

That's a dangerous game to be playing.

"I suppose I should just leave you two alone and take my rambling elsewhere." Hongjoong raised his voice a little to get the pairs attention, a slight smile on his lips looking at the two.

San hummed in response, Wooyoung merely watching the redhead make his way towards the door at a leisurely pace.

"Hey, wait!" Wooyoung called out as the leader put his hand on the handle. He paused, turning his head to look at the hunter. "What about Sector 1?"

"What about Sector 1?" Hongjoong returned quizzically, completely turning to face the pair again. His features were stern, but confusion was evident to some degree. San was also confused, looking to Wooyoung with the same expression.

"Well...did you finalize the pl—"

"No. Because none of us are going to Sector 1. Plans off." Hongjoong rejected firmly, leader mode kicking in completely. He didn't leave any room for question, and would ensure his way was followed.

Only Wooyoung believed that he didn't fall under his leadership.

"What? Why?" Wooyoung sounded upset, his hands pushing himself a bit more upright.

Hongjoong tilted his head to the side, looking flabbergasted.

"You are the main component of the plan, and you aren't well. I wouldn't send you—"

"We still have a few weeks, right? I'll be able to—"

"I said the plan is off." Hongjoong wasn't having any of this back talk. His eyes flashed a bright red for just a split second, but it was enough to show he wasn't in the mood to be messed with.

"Fine. Maybe your plan is." Wooyoung scoffed, shrugging his shoulders as he leaned back again. He had a challenging aura to him, and it bothered San as much as it bothered Hongjoong. Maybe for slightly different reasons though. "I could still go by myself."

"I won't allow it." Hongjoong said exactly as San was thinking, his tone strict and kind of mean.

"You won't have another chance like this for at least six months!" Wooyoung exclaimed, hands balling into fists at his side. No one knew why he seemed so worked up about this. Honestly, Wooyoung didn't entirely understand himself either.

"We've got all the time in the world." Hongjoong's voice reached a deep octave, shrugging his shoulders as his eyes narrowed.

"Maybe you vampires do." Wooyoung scoffed, jaw becoming clenched. "I don't. So whether you like it or not, I'm going. It's on you if you give me reinforcements or not."

"I said no and that's final!" Hongjoong raised his voice, fist flying out to the side to slam into the wall. The loud bang had both Wooyoung and San going rigid. "It's too dangerous when it isn't even a necessary thing right now. I will not have you risking your health any further."

"You aren't my leader." Wooyoung said deeply, words laced with venom. "I said I'd listen to your rules here, but you can't—"

"If that's how you see it, then fine." Hongjoong removed his fist from the indent in the wall, keeping it balled as he crossed it over his chest once more. "From this day forward you are an official member of Ateez, making me your captain. And as your captain, what I say goes. And I hope you wouldn't dare defy me, because that would show where your true loyalties lie. I know you understand where you stand amongst everyone, and how to act within that. After all, hunters have a natural sense of knowing how to act within their assigned rank, no matter where that may apply." There was a pause as Hongjoong showed a devious smirk, hand reaching out to twist the doorknob. "So, as I said, the plan to go to Sector 1 is off. No one, including you, will be going. And that's final."

Hongjoong stepped out of the room, the door closing with a thud behind him.

Wooyoung couldn't even process what all just happened. His eyes remained forward, spacing out as he listened to his own heartbeat in his ears, feeling his chest lift and lower as if he just ran a marathon.

"You okay?" San said hesitantly, lifting a hand to put on the hunters shoulders, but lowered it back to his side instead.

"I don't know." Wooyoung breathed out, shaking his head as he lowered it. "I don't know what just happened."

San chuckled through the tense atmosphere.

"Well to me it sounds like I can officially call you my fellow member." San sounded lighthearted with his words, taking a few steps so he could lean down into Wooyoung's vision.

Wooyoung on the other hand let out an exasperated sigh. He moved his elbows onto his legs, head into his hands where he immediately started rubbing his eyes.

"What the fuck did I just get myself into?" Wooyoung mumbled to himself, head filled with thoughts yet none were truly comprehensible.

"Oh come on, you were helping out so much as is, almost like a member already. Hongjoong just said the words and actually established it. You had to of known that." San tried to reassure, resting against the hospital bed Wooyoung laid on, looking down to the smaller with a frown.

"Yeah but...it doesn't seem right." Wooyoung still mumbled, lifting his head to find San's worried gaze. "A hunter apart of a vampire gang."

"Please, what difference does it make? You've been here with us for like a month. A hunter amongst seven vampires. There's absolutely nothing different from yesterday to today other than you getting to claim you're apart of one of the strongest gangs in the area." San was making light of everything, putting it in the simplest terms he could to try and make Wooyoung feel better. He was still taken aback by the outburst from his sunshine and his leader, but right now his priorities were different. "Why were you so worried about Sector 1? I thought you were even resistant to going cause of the fear of someone recognizing you."

Wooyoung sighed, looking away from the vampire. He wanted to get up and move, but he didn't trust his legs yet.

"I had a mission to accomplish, so that's what I was worried about doing." Wooyoung muttered, shaking his head after realizing how much he hated his reasoning. Hating how much he sounded like his younger self. "This day that we would've gone, it's like the one day in the year where essentially all of the hunters would be out of there. This is the time of the year when rookies graduate from the program and get their promoted roles, its this huge event that essentially every hunter attends. It's a big deal in that world. And I mean I'm not exaggerating too, there is one graduation towards the end of winter, and one at the end of summer. Two days in the entire year that would be the safest to go to that place. It'd be stupid to not go."

"I get it, but things will work out. Okay?" San reassured, putting his hand on Wooyoung's better shoulder, using his other hand to gently turn Wooyoung's head to face him. "Have some trust in Hongjoong, he knows what he's doing. Remember this is his own personal thing too, he worries about you like he worries about the rest of us. Probably explains why he claimed you to be a member already as well." A small pause as San smirked. "Also, watch what you say about him. We're all protective of our leader."

Wooyoung scoffed. Yet he couldn't say anything.

Goddamn it, I guess this means I need to apologize for my attitude now.

"Wanna go up to our room? It would probably be more comfortable there than on this thing." San offered with a smile. He removed his hand from the hunters shoulder, using it to pat the hospital bed.

"Fine." Wooyoung answered briefly. "Don't baby me, I can walk."

"You haven't even tried to stand yet." San laughed, regretting the action when he received a mean glare. "But by all means, if you want to do it on your own then I won't stop you."

Wooyoung let out a huff of air, turning his glare away from the vampire in a swift movement. Taking in a large breath of air, he moved his uninjured leg first, kicking it off the side of the surface. He had to admit, he was glad that the pain medicine was in his system, because while he did feel some strains moving, it didn't necessarily hurt.

Next was his left leg, where his face visibly showed his effort to move it. Of course it felt different, Wooyoung's never had a brace like this on before, so he wasn't entirely sure what to expect with his movements. With both feet on the ground, it was clear the amount of favoritism Wooyoung was putting on his right leg, almost like he was too hesitant to even put the left one on the ground.

With a look of defeat, Wooyoung looked back up to San, eyes creating a pitiful look. San showed a small smile for just a moment before pushing himself off the hospital bed, lending his arm for Wooyoung to use as a stabilizer.

Nothing was said, but their actions and reasonings were clear. Wooyoung didn't want to admit to weakness, and especially that he was wrong. While San was simply worried and wanted to be someone for Wooyoung to lean on, literally.

Taking enough steps to get to the door, Wooyoung paused, readjusting his grip on San's arm so it wasn't as much of a death grip. His tongue poking his cheek, he looked down at his legs, shifting his weight experimentally onto either one.

"This feels weird." Wooyoung muttered to himself, lifting his head to try and put on his strong act.

"I'm sorry...but it's supposed to help you." San returned, moving to use his free hand to jokingly pat Wooyoung's head. "There, there."

"Yeah whatever." Wooyoung grumbled, removing his grip entirely from San's arm.

"Wait why'd you let go?" San pouted, yet he took a step away to let Wooyoung truly test himself.

"I can walk." Wooyoung breathed out, nodding his head to himself as an act of reassurance. "Just...stay by my side."

"Of course." San smiled brightly, eyes disappearing.

A groan came from the door as San opened it, giving Wooyoung plenty of room to walk through on his own. His sharp eyes watched the hunters every movement, and while that would typically bother Wooyoung, right now he was reassured that the vampire would act fast enough to prevent him from hurting himself further.

I really didn't think I was hurt this seriously. It sucks.

But I guess that's what I get for being with the people I surround myself with.

"What're you doing here?" San's lowered voice snapped Wooyoung from his thoughts.

Wooyoung didn't even realize he was watching his own feet as he limped along. Raising his head, he noticed Jongho leaning against the wall further down the hallway with an unreadable expression on his face.

In no time San was beside Wooyoung, standing in a way that actually pushed Wooyoung behind him in the slightest.

"I wanted to apologize to Wooyoung." Jongho said with a light voice, bright eyes trailing from San to the hunter. "I was being completely unfair to you, and I realize that now. I should've pushed my personal problems behind me and actually of helped you, but I didn't, and I'm so sorry."

San looked over his shoulder to Wooyoung, as if to see how he should react based on Wooyoung's expression. Only he frowned once he realized Wooyoung was leaning a shoulder against the wall instead of standing upright.

"It isn't necessary for you to know, but I also feel really guilty." Jongho continued, lowering his head as his voice became weaker. After a pause he shook his head. "If I didn't push you the way I did, then what happened might've not happened. You'd of had the proper strength and physicality to escape or fight back or whatever."

"Apology accepted." Wooyoung's tone seemed cold yet more sincere than anything. He pushed himself off the wall and walked around San to stand before the brunette. "Don't beat yourself up over it either. For your information even before all this happened, I wouldn't of stood a chance at escape and definitely not fighting back anyways."

The hunter let out a single sound of laugher with his exhale as he ended his sentence. It dawned on him how much he talked about how weak he was. Sure he acknowledged it himself, but he sure talked about it a lot more to these vampires than he anticipated.

Jongho looked up with soft eyes, but the expression on his face showed one of shock. Almost as if he didn't expect to hear this from Wooyoung, like he expected to be hated and shunned for his actions, but was met with friendliness. It definitely made him reevaluate once more about his decisions.

"There's no hard feelings from me." Wooyoung shrugged his shoulders, holding out a hand waiting to be taken by the brunette.

Jongho raised a hand as well, taking a quick glance at San to make sure he wouldn't be attacked for shaking Wooyoung's hand. With the confirmation, he took the hunters hand with a much softer grip compared to the first time this happened. Wooyoung was relieved to say the least, feeling a weight lift off his shoulders for some unbeknownst reason.

"No hard feelings." Jongho mirrored with the nicest look Wooyoung's seen from him.

They released each others hands, both looking back over at San who was showing a soft smile. It felt like a new beginning with the negatives put behind them. While it wasn't much, it was needed.

"Alright well I'll get going then." Jongho took a step back, releasing a heavy breath. His eyes landed on Wooyoung once again, where his smile started to look cheeky. "Welcome to the team."

Wooyoung for whatever reason felt his ears start to burn, voice getting caught in his throat. Not like it mattered to say anything since Jongho was already walking through the hallway towards the main part of the building. Wooyoung swallowed hard, looking to his side where San appeared.

"That was interesting." San chuckled, holding his arm in a way that would be easy for Wooyoung to grab if need be.

"Agreed." Wooyoung also laughed a little, noticing the way San held his arm out, but didn't reach out for it by any means.

Their slow walk went from the hallway to the dark, quiet main room of the warehouse. Essentially no lights were on except for a few lamps here and there. That wasn't a problem though since their direct line to the stairs was illuminated enough. It was only then looking out one of the high windows that Wooyoung realized it was late at night. His sense of time felt so off.

Jumping, Wooyoung looked to his side to see San's hand protectively wrapped around his upper arm. He was about to try and shake out of it, but quickly stopped himself due to the stern look he received from the vampire.

"It's dark, and I don't want you to trip." San said softly despite the previous look on his face. "If upstairs is more lit up then I'll let go. And no, I'm not babying you, I know you can walk on your own. I'm just overprotective."

Wooyoung let out a breath from his nose that resembled a laugh. "Fine. And trust me, I'm aware of that."

From there a long and antagonizing walk awaited the duo. Wooyoung hated the stairs, it made his knee feel really strange with the brace. Nothing hurt entirely, just felt uncomfortable and slightly sore. But San was there every slow step of the way, pausing when Wooyoung needed to rest, holding his hand out for the hunter to take, giving reassuring words when they were needed the most. Wooyoung hated the situation, but a part of him deep down was glad it happened with San around, because even if it felt like he was being babied at times, San really did know how to make him feel a bit better.

Arriving at their room, San took the first steps away to open the door and turn the light on. Wooyoung walked inside, hearing the door close behind him, allowing him to let out the heaviest breath of the night. That kind of walk shouldn't of worn him out, but he felt like he could sleep for days at this point.

Looking over to the bed, Wooyoung noticed the purple blanket and his backpack seemed to of been suddenly thrown onto it from the pile it created. He was about to ask about it but San seemed to of read his mind.

"Before we came back I managed to convince the others to go back to my place because I wanted to grab those things and a few others. I didn't know if those hunters would find my house so I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed from there, and leave nothing that would give them any clues to where we are now." San explained, walking towards the bed to pull everything off it of, making it again from scratch. "I also convinced them to take my car back as well, so we split into two teams, Seonghwa driving my car, with myself and Yeosang patching me up. And I trusted Hongjoong to be with you, since he has the best control out of any of us."

Wooyoung hummed in response, nodding his head tiredly after a few moments as well.

"So I think the best plan of action is to get you into some looser shorts so it would be easier over your knee." San explained, turning after he finished making the bed. He only paused for a moment before going over to his own dresser to start digging through. "I think I have some pairs somewhere that you could sleep in."

With a begrudged sigh, Wooyoung spoke. "I guess that would be best."

"You don't have to sound so happy about it." San stated sarcastically, looking over his shoulder playfully.

"I just think you happen to have too many clothes to spare." Wooyoung replied in the same manner, plopping himself on the bed to wait.

"For you, maybe." San chuckled as he pulled out a few pairs of shorts that he mentioned. "I don't do this for just anyone."

Wooyoung lowered his gaze then, hating how his ears turned red again.

"Do you need help?" The playfulness was gone from San's voice, replaced with genuine concern.

"I can do it." Wooyoung looked up again, taking in a breath when he noticed San right before him. With a hesitant hand he reached out for the shorts, being able to take them without any resistance.

"I'll be right back then." San smiled as he took steps away towards the door.

Wooyoung hummed. "Okay."

Being left alone, the severity of everything crashed on Wooyoung. He looked down at his knee, feeling anger well up inside of him. He had to brush it off though, for now at least. He's glad he can at least still walk, and this wasn't something extremely serious. He'd be better in a few weeks, he trusted that idea.

Slowly, Wooyoung supported himself in a way that allowed him to change out of his ruined pants into the shorts that San provided. They were a bit big on him, but luckily the drawstring allowed him to make them fit his waist better. He moved over to his own dresser, looking through for a nightshirt, picking out a long sleeve since his legs were more exposed than he was used to. He already knew he wanted San at his side to sleep, so he was trying to prepare to make the night not as cold as he thought it'd be.

A knock at the door gained his attention, looking over to see San poke his head through some moments later. With a smile he entered, passing Wooyoung a water bottle, having a few others in his hands to place at the nightstand just in case. Wooyoung chugged the entire thing as San got ready for bed, his back to the vampire the entire time.

After some minutes Wooyoung was the first in bed, taking his normal spot furthest in and therefore closest to the wall. San waited to get beside him, instead making sure that the smaller was tucked in properly and was comfortable. Nothing was said to him about elevating Wooyoung's leg, so he didn't bother with trying to help with that.

The light was turned out and no sooner did Wooyoung feel a dip in the bed beside him. While he laid on his back, he listened to the vampires even breath as it was something that reassured him, and also lulled him to sleep. San did the same, listening to Wooyoung's breath and heartbeat, laying on his back as well.

Some time later Wooyoung decided he wasn't comfortable, turning onto his side with his right leg underneath the left. Even if he didn't need to, San laid under all of the covers like Wooyoung did. While it may be counterproductive to protect Wooyoung from the cold, it was easier to cuddle this way than be oddly tangled up in blankets. That being said, Wooyoung hardly struggled to find San's closest arm from under the covers, pulling it to wrap around his upper body.

San took the hint, scooting just a little closer, keeping the arm Wooyoung moved around the smallers upper body, reaching his other arm around Wooyoung's waist. For the most part he remained on his back, happily letting Wooyoung use his shoulder and part of his chest as a pillow.

Was it dangerous for them to be this close? Yes, there was no denying that. But they trusted each other enough to know that nothing bad would come of it.

It didn't take long for either of them to fall asleep in each others hold. Being met with neither dreams nor nightmares, just a comforting rest that they both truly needed.

~~~~~~~~
A/N: Hello everyone, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for 700 reads! I really appreciate all of the interactions with this story, and while I may not necessarily be one to respond to comments, know that I read every single one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.3K 828 16
Y/n and her friends were taking a calm late evening walk through the forest, not thinking a lot of it. Soon they start to feel weird and things start...
14.2K 953 36
Wooyoung thought traveling the world would be his life, but in reality, he was just a lost soul. Until a dare forces him to cross paths with a devil...
6.7K 222 11
vampire /ˈvampʌɪə/ (in European folklore) a corpse supposed to leave its grave at night to drink the blood of the living by biting their necks with l...
92.1K 4.5K 38
When the poor sweetheart Wooyoung meets the annoying and mean Prince San, he suddenly can't help being attracted to him. ...