Golden Girl

By aswords007

"In Latin my name, Aurelia, basically means 'the golden one.' My mother literally named me her golden light t... More

Cast
Prologue
The Son of Neptune
~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
~24~
~25~
~27~
The Mark of Athena
MoA Cast
~28~
~29~
~30~
~31~
~32~
~33~
~34~
~35~
~36~
~37~
~38~
~39~
~40~

~26~

768 31 6
By aswords007

Chronophobia: Fear of the Future

Aurelia had a love/hate relationship with makeup.

She was great at it. Eye makeup especially. CC's Spa and Resort ensured that all employees knew how to do all the makeup on themselves and clients. But makeup represented that part of her life with Circe. Her life being a glorified doll—a little witch in disguise.

On the other hand, after spending over twenty fours hours without any sleep, makeup was good for hiding the bags under your eyes. And if there was a day that Aurelia was going to need to look put together, it was today.

Aurelia had gone to breakfast early with Frank, Hazel and Percy before heading into the city before the impending senate meeting. Her makeup was subtle and natural enough that none of her friends noticed her sleep deprivation. Her countenance was back to its usually impartial, blank look as she snapped on bubblegum she'd stolen from Jason's room.

On their way through the city, they passed the stables where Tyson and Mrs. O'Leary were sleeping. Tyson snored on a bed of hay next to the unicorns, his emotions peaceful. Mrs. O'leary had rolled on her back and covered her ears with her paws. On the stables roof, Ella roosted in a pile of old Roman scrolls, her head tucked in her wings—although she did look up momentarily to wave at Aurelia and Hazel.

When they got to the forum, they sat by the fountains and watched the sun come up. The citizens were already busy sweeping up the cupcake simulations, confetti, and party hats from last night's celebration. The engineer corps was working on a new arch that would commemorate the victory over Polybotes.

Hazel even mentioned how she heard talk of a formal triumph for the four of them—a parade around the city followed by a week of games and celebrations—but Aurelia knew they would never get a chance. They may have been able to celebrate last night, but time was still against them.

Percy told his friends about his dreams and interaction with Juno.

Hazel frowned. "The gods were busy last night. Show him, Frank."

Frank reached into his coat pocket, producing a thin paperback book and a note on red stationary.

"These were on my pillow this morning." He passed it to Percy, who held it so Aurelia could see as well. "Like the Tooth Fairy visited."

The book was The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Aurelia hadn't read the book, but she recognized the author—a Chinese philosopher, well known for his belief in evil human nature in need of a moral compass and reform. The letter attached to the book read: Good job, kid. A real man's weapon is his mind. This was your mom's favorite book. Give it a read. P.S.—I hope your friend Percy has learned some respect for me.

"Wow." Percy handed the book back to Frank. "Maybe Mars is different than Ares. I don't think Ares can read."

Aurelia gave Percy a blank stare, blowing a small bubble and snapping it again. "Your crude language and attitude towards your Greek gods makes it hard for me to believe that they have not tried to smite you."

"They have," Percy shrugged. "Didn't work."

Frank flipped through the pages of his book. "There's a lot in here about sacrifice, knowing the cost of war. Back in Vancouver, Mars told me I'd have to put my duty ahead of my life or the entire war would go sideways. I thought he meant freeing Thanatos, but now ... I don't know. I'm still alive, so maybe the worst is yet to come."

Frank was nervous. And there was something he wasn't telling them about Mars's visit. Aurelia wasn't sure they wanted to know. Besides, Frank had already given so much.

"You risked your life," Percy said. "You were willing to burn up to save the quest. Mars can't expect more than that."

"Maybe," Frank said doubtfully. Hazel squeezed his hands. The two seemed more comfortable around each other this morning than last night. No quite as nervous and awkward and Aurelia could think was, about fucking time. She was happy for them—although it did make her miss Jason a little bit more.

Just a little longer, she reminded herself. You'll see him again.

"What about you Hazel?" Percy asked. "Any word from Pluto?"

Hazel looked down. Several diamonds popped out of the ground at her feet. "No," she admitted. "In a way, I think he sent a message through Thanatos. My name wasn't on the list of escaped souls. It should have been."

"You think your dad is giving you a free pass?" Percy asked.

Hazel shrugged. "Pluto can't visit me, or even talk to me without acknowledging I'm alive. Then he'd have to enforce the laws of death and have Thanatos bring me back to the Underworld. I think my dad is turning a blind eye. I think—I think he wants me to find Nico."

Aurelia frowned at the sunrise, hoping for a giant warship to appear, along with a familiar blonde head. Nothing.

"We'll find your brother," Percy promised. "As soon as the ship gets here, we'll sail for Rome."

Aurelia suddenly became very interested in the grass. Hazel and Frank shared uneasy looks, like they'd already talked about this. The emotions were running tensely.

"Percy ..." Frank said. "If you want us to come along, we're in. But are you sure? I mean ... we know you've got tons of friends at the other camp. And you pick anyone at Camp Jupiter now. If we're not part of the eight, we'd understand—"

"Are you kidding?" Percy said. "You think I'd leave my team behind? After surviving Fleecy's wheat germ, running from cannibals, and hiding under giant butts in Alaska? Come on!"

The tension broke. Frank, Hazel and Percy all burst out laughing—maybe a little too much. Even Aurelia allowed herself to give a small smile. There four were just relieved to be alive, with the warm sun shining and not worrying—at least in that moment—about sinister faces appearing in the shadows of the hills.

"You in with us El?"

Aurelia pursed her lips, the ghost of her smile still playing on the edges of her mouth. "I am not sure. Reyna ... she still needs me. I do not want to leave her."

"Reyna would understand," Hazel comforted her. "We need you." It was unsaid, but they really did. Out of the four of them, Aurelia was both the most level-headed and the most emotionally unstable. But she did hold them all together, no matter how bad she was doing.

Aurelia didn't blink. The monsters in her eyes looked tired, but her gaze was still piercing. "Okay. I would be honored to accompany the three of you." You're my team.

Hazel took a deep breath. "The prophecy Ella gave us—about the child of wisdom, and the Mark of Athena burning through Rome ... do you know what that's about?"

"I'm not sure," Percy admitted.

Aurelia finally blinked, remembering what she saw at Circe's Island. "I think ... I may know a bit about the mark. It is a distant memory, but I can talk to Reyna. She was a bit older when we heard of it."

They all nodded. "Regardless," Percy said. "I think there's more to the prophecy. Maybe Ella can remember the rest."

Frank slipped his book into his back pocket. "We need to take her with us—I mean, for her own safety. If Octavian finds out Ella has the Sibylline Books memorized ..." He didn't need to finish. They all knew: now that Percy has taken Octavian's chance at praetor, he will look for other ways to exert influence and gain more power. Ella was the perfect tool for that.

"You're right," Percy agreed. "We've got to protect her. I just hope we can convince her—"

"Percy!" Tyson came running across the forum, Ella fluttering behind him with a scroll in her talons. When they reached the fountain, Ella dropped the scroll into Percy's lap.

"Special delivery," she said. "From an aura. A wind spirit. Yes, Ella got a special delivery."

"Good morning, brothers! Good morning, pretty ladies!" Tyson had hay in his hair and peanut butter in his teeth. "The scroll is from Leo. He is funny."

The scroll looked unremarkable, but when Percy spread it across his lap, a video recording flickered on the parchment. A kid in Greek armor grinned up at them. He had an impish face, curly black hair, and wild eyes like he'd had several cups of coffee. He was sitting in a dark room with timber walls like a ship's cabin. Oil lamps swung back and forth on the ceiling.

Fear and panic filled Hazel and Aurelia began rubbing circling on her back with one hand, while holding her necklace with the other.

"What?" Frank asked. "What's wrong?"

Aurelia scanned the boy's face and it came to her—it was the same face she saw her dreams. The same face in an old photo.

"Hey!" said the guy in the video. "Greetings from your friends at Camp Half-Blood, et cetera. This is Leo. I'm the ..." He looked off screen and yelled: "What's my title? Am I like admiral, or captain, or—"

A girl's voice yelled back, "Repair boy."

"Very funny, Piper," Leo grumbled. He turned back to the parchment scroll. "So yeah, I'm ... ah ... Supreme Commander of the Argo II. Yeah, I like that! Anyway, we're going to be sailing toward you in about, I dunno, an hour in this big mother warship. We'd appreciate it if you'd not, like, blow us out of the sky or anything. See you soon. Yours in demigodishness, and all that. Peace out."

The parchment turned black.

"It can't be," Hazel whispered.

"What?" Frank asked again. "You know that guy?"

Heazel looked like she'd seen a ghost—which she basically has. "It's Sammy Valdez," she said. "But how ... how—"

"He said his name was Leo, though," Aurelia murmured. "I mean, that cannot be a coincidence, can it?"

They were interrupted by horns blowing in the distance. The senators came marching into the forum with Reyna in the lead.

"It's meeting time," Percy sighed. "Come on. We've got to warn them about the warship."

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

"Why should we trust these Greeks?" Octavian was saying.

Aurelia snapped her gum again, trying to drown out her headache and Octavian nagging voice. The descendant of Apollo had been pacing the senate floor for five minutes, going on and on, trying to counter what Percy had told them about Juno's plan and the Prophecy of Eight.

The senate shifted restlessly. But most of them were too afraid to interrupt Octavian when he was on a roll. Meanwhile the sun climbed in the sky, shining through the broken senate roof and giving Octavian a natural spotlight.

The Senate House was packed—more so than it usually was. Hylla, Frank and Hazel sat in the front row with the senators. Veterans and ghosts filled the back rows. Even Tyson and Ella had been allowed to sit in the back. Tyson kept waving and grinning at Percy.

Reyna sat in her usual praetor's chair. Aurelia had also taken her usual spot besides the dais that held the praetor chairs, near her cousin's feet. Throughout the entirety of the Senate meeting so far, Aurelia had been staring at Percy.

Percy sat on the other praetor chair, and Aurelia had very mixed feelings about it. On one hand, she was proud of him, and thankful for both his help and his friendship. On the other hand, it felt wrong to see someone who wasn't Jason on that chair. But then Aurelia felt guilty for feeling that way, because Percy would undoubtedly be a good leader.

It didn't help that Percy's emotions were uncomfortable as well.

"The camp is safe," Octavian continued. "I'll be the first to congratulate our heroes for bringing back the legion's eagle and so much Imperial gold! Truly, we have been blessed with good fortune. But why do more? Why tempt fate?"

"I'm glad you asked." Percy stood, taking the question as an opening.

Octavian stammered. "I wasn't—"

"—part of the quest," Percy said. "Yes, I know. And you're wise to let me explain, since I was."

Some of the senators snickered. Aurelia was trying not to smile at Octavian's reddening cheeks. Octavian had no choice but to sit down and try not to look embarrassed—which one knowing look from Aurelia made him know he failed.

"Gaea is waking," Percy began. "We've defeated two of her giants, but that's only the beginning. The real war will take place in the old land of the gods. The quest will take us to Rome, and eventually to Greece."

An uneasy ripple spread through the senate and Aurelia's hand went to her bare chest, where her necklace was supposed to be.

"I know, I know," Percy said. "You've always thought of the Greeks as your enemies. And there's a good reason for that, I think the gods have kept our two camps apart because whenever we meet, we fight. But that can change. It has to change if we're to defeat Gaea. That's what the Prophecy of Eight means. Eight demigods, Greek and Roman, will have to close the Doors of Death together."

"Ha!" shouted a Lare from the back row. "The last time a praetor tried to interpret the Prophecy of Eight, it was Michael Varus, who lost our eagle in Alaska! Why should we believe you now?"

Octavian smiled smugly. Some of his allies in the senate began nodding and grumbling. Even some of the veterans looked uncertain. Aurelia allowed her powers to work, trying to help placate their concern.

"I carried Juno across the Tiber," Percy reminded them, speaking as firmly as he could. "She told me that the Prophecy of Eight is coming to pass. Mars also appeared to you in person. Do you think two of your most important gods would appear at camp if the situation wasn't serious?"

"He's right," Gwen said from the second row. "I, for one, trust Percy's word. Greek or not, he restored the honor of the legion. You saw him on the battlefield last night. Would anyone here say he is not a true hero of Rome?" Nobody argued. A few nodded in agreement.

Reyna stood. Aurelia could feel her suspicion, and the two were able to communicate from looks as much as words. But as much as Reyna valued Aurelia's opinion, she was still skeptical.

"You claim this is a combined quest," she said. "You claim Juno intends for us to work with this other group—Camp Half-Blood. Yet have been our enemies for eons. They are known for their deception."

"Maybe so," Percy said. "But enemies can become friends. A week ago, would you have thought Romans and Amazons would be fighting side by side?"

Queen Hylla laughed. "He's got a point."

"The demigods of Camp Half-Blood have already been working with Camp Jupiter," Percy said. "We just didn't realize it. During the Titan War last summer, while you were attacking Mount Othrys, we were defending Mount Olympus in Manhattan. I fought Kronos myself."

Aurelia already knew, but hearing him say it again was still shocking—for herself and everyone else.

Reyna backed up, almost tripping over her toga. "You....what?"

"I know it's hard to believe," Percy said, "But I think I've earned your trust. I'm on your side. Hazel, Frank and Aurelia—I'm sure they are meant to go with me on this quest. The other four are on their way from Camp Half-Blood right now. One of them is Jason Grace, your old praetor."

"Oh, come on!" Octavian shouted. "He's making things up, now."

Reyna frowned. "It is a lot to believe. Jason is coming back with a bunch of Greek demigods? You say they're going to appear in the sky in a heavily armed warship, but we shouldn't be worried."

"Yes." Percy looked over the rows of nervous, doubtful spectators, before finally meeting Aurelia's eyes. Aurelia snapped her gum again giving him a nod and a surge of confidence to continue. "Just let them land. Hear them out. Jason will back up everything I'm telling you. I swear it on my life."

"On your life?" Octavian looked meaningfully at the senate. "We will remember that, if this turns out to be a trick."

Aurelia's hands had balled into small fists, her nails almost breaking the skin of her palms. "If you do not trust your praetorship, Octavian, say that instead of dancing around unnecessary protests. It is a bit tiresome listening to your voice when it is not called upon."

Octavian glared at her and she met his gaze with a blank expression. The senators glanced between them nervously, and more shadows appeared on Aurelia's arm.

They would have continued with their battle of wills, but a messenger rushed into the Senate House, gasping as if he'd run all the way from camp. "Praetors! I'm sorry to interrupt, but our scouts report-"

"Ship!" Tyson said happily, pointing at the hole in the ceiling. ray.

Sure enough, a Greek warship appeared out of the clouds, about a half a mile away, descending toward the Senate House.

As it got closer, Aurelia could see bronze shields glinting along the sides, billowing sails, and a familiar-looking figurehead shaped like a metal dragon. On the tallest mast, a big white flag of truce snapped in the wind.

The Argo II. It was the most incredible ship Aurelia had ever seen.

"Praetors!" the messenger cried. "What are your orders?"

Octavian shot to his feet. "You need to ask?" His face was red with rage. He was strangling his teddy bear. "The omens are horrible! This is a trick, a deception. Beware Greeks bearing gifts!" He jabbed a finger at Percy. "His friends are attacking a warship. He has led them here. We must attack!"

"No," Percy said firmly. "You all raised me as a praetor for a reason. I will fight to defend this camp with my life. But these aren't enemies. I say we stand ready, but do not attack. Let them land. Let them speak. If it is a trick, then I will fight with you, as I did last night. But it is not a trick."

All eyes turned toward Reyna. Reyna could only look at Aurelia, who stared back with subtle earnest.

Reyna was still skeptical—but one glance at her cousin, Reyna knew that she had to. For a chance against Gaea, hopefully for the safety of their camp, and for the return of their best friend, she had to let the warship land.

"Hold your fire," Reyna decided. "But have the legion stand ready. Percy Jackson is your duty chosen praetor. We will trust his word unless we are given reason not to. Senators, let us adjourn to the forum and meet our ... new friends."

The senators stampeded out of the auditorium—mixture of excitement or panic. Tyson ran after them, yelling, "Yay! Yay!" with Ella fluttering around his head.

Octavian gave Percy a disgusted look, then threw down his teddy bear and followed the crowd.

Reyna stood from her chair. "I support you, Percy," she said. "I trust your judgment. But for all our sakes, I hope we can keep the peace between our campers and your Greek friends."

"We will," he promised. "You'll see."

She glanced up at the warship. Her expression turned a little wistful. "You say Jason is aboard... I hope that's true. I've missed him."

Reyna touched her cousin's shoulder before she marched outside, leaving Aurelia alone with Hazel, Percy and Frank.

"They're coming down right in the forum," Frank said nervously. "Terminus is going to have a heart attack."

"Percy," Hazel said, "you swore on your life. Romans take that seriously. If anything goes wrong, even by accident, Octavian is going to kill you. You know that, right?"

Aurelia studied the son of Poseidon's face and emotions. He was hopeful, and excited. Why wouldn't he be? That was his family up there.

Percy felt Aurelia's stare and gave a big smile. "You ready, El?"

Aurelia glanced up at the incoming ship. "It has been eight months for both of us. How can you be so sure that things will just ... be the same? That they will be the same?"

Percy stepped closer to all his friends, placing one arm around Frank and the other around Hazel and Aurelia (who were both petite enough to fit). "Because if they aren't, I have you guys to come back to. Now, come on! Let me introduce you to my other family."

Aurelia let Percy walk her, but her eyes stayed trained on the majestic ship. Although it was still far, and the sight was faint, Aurelia could see someone with blonde hair and a purple cloak standing on the mast.

And with her three friends, Aurelia allowed herself to smile and be happy.

After all, Jason was home.

A/N: thank you everyone for everything. I've got one more chapter for you all before I take a small break from this book.

Love to you all <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 297 25
ā We were both young , when I first saw you āž WHEN Jason's gone missing, and in the process of looking for him, his protector floods a school, gets s...
957 86 10
{ļ®©ŁØŁ€ļ®©ļ®©ŁØŁ€ā™”ļ®©ŁØŁ€ļ®©ļ®©ŁØŁ€} "į““įµƒāæįµˆ įµ’āæ įµ—Ź°įµ‰ įµ—Ź°Ź³įµ’įµ—įµ—Ė”įµ‰, įµ—Ź°įµ’įµ˜įµŹ°įµ— į“µ į¶œįµƒįµ˜įµŹ°įµ— Ė”ā±įµŹ°įµ—āæā±āæįµ ā±āæ įµƒ įµ‡įµ’įµ—įµ—Ė”įµ‰. į“¼Ź° įµ‡įµ˜įµ— ā±įµ—'Ė¢ įµįµ’āæįµ‰ įµƒįµįµƒā±āæ." ā i'm the daughter of v...
82.2K 3.2K 16
My love torn away. My will gone with her. I am already hanging off a thin thread. When this new kid, a son of Aphrodite comes, my string breaks off. ...
47.3K 1.5K 9
āAnd where the Daughter of Hecate went, destruction followed.āž [heroes of olympus || jasonƗoc] [all rights go Rick Riordan, I own nothing but my oc a...