Darkness' Touch

By silverxxvoid

She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind... More

Chapter 0: Perfect
Chapter 1: Acceptance
Chapter 2: New Life
Chapter 3: Strange but better
Chapter 4: The cherished one
Chapter 5: Lingering Presence
Chapter 6: A fateful encounter
Chapter 7: Different
Chapter 8: Small Talks
Chapter 9: The girl who can do anything
Chapter 10: Downtown
Chapter 11: Children
Chapter 12: Magic
Chapter 13: Bloody night
Chapter 14: Awakening
Chapter 15: Starting anew
Chapter 16: Assets
Chapter 17: Erased and Unseen
Chapter 18: Visits
Chapter 19: Revealing the Untold
Chapter 20: New purpose ahead
Chapter 21: The struggles of learning something new
Chapter 22: Coming Back
Chapter 23: Whereas the Sky is Dark
Chapter 24: A morning inside the Arkwright Household
Chapter 25: Infra Gehenna
Chapter 26: The Unfortunate
Chapter 27: Broken Pieces
Chapter 28: Upcoming Storm
Chapter 29: A Bloodbath
Chapter 30: Long night
Chapter 31: Tired and Exhausted
Chapter 32: Who knows?
Chapter 33: Warming up
Chapter 34: Sweet Silence
Chapter 35: In the Dark
Chapter 36: A little surprise
Chapter 37: No longer a secret
Chapter 38: Reunion, Goodbyes
Chapter 39: Somewhere, Someone New
Chapter 40: Quiet Company
Chapter 41: Chaos avoided
Chapter 42: New challenge, begin
Chapter 43: Troubles rising
Chapter 44: The day that changed it all
Chapter 45: Purest affection
Chapter 46: A new one, a he
Chapter 47: Power to Tremble Before
Chapter 49: Devotion
Chapter 50: In the Midst of the Crowd
Chapter 51: Opportunistic Friendship
Chapter 52: A Plethora Of Feelings
Chapter 53: Warmth to remember
Chapter 54: Familiar Yet Foreign, Similar Yet Different
Chapter 55: The Sky Wept
Chapter 56: Mayhem Ensues
Chapter 57: Crippling Revelation
Chapter 58: A Favor for A Favor

Chapter 48: How Much a Gem is Worth

2.5K 147 12
By silverxxvoid

"It's a good thing that it's already late and no one's outside. You stand out like a sore thumb," Ares asserted with displeasure evident in his tone. 

The lady and her curse servant walked through Blackwell District quietly. The district was sleeping, and not one soul could be seen wandering around. It was just the two of them. He could understand that, at least, since Blackwell is home to many criminals that hide from the masses, and the locals know that fact and are aware that it's far too dangerous to step outside their houses once the knights stop patrolling. 

It was chilly, and Avy wore a thin nightgown that Mariel had dressed her into earlier. Ares knows that because of his master's manifestation—she is partly a flamma-type mage—she has become somewhat immune to the cold. However, the clothes his master was wearing this time were not something that people would find appropriate to wear outside, but it's not as if Avy cared about such things. She, in fact, did not. 

Ares was not ignorant about how she does not give a single flying fuck about what others might think. However, unfortunately for the lady, her curse servant believed otherwise. He was not conservative but he believed it was still unbecoming of him to let his master walk around in such a state.

"I can't believe that old curse sent us here without waiting for you to change into proper clothes," Ares grunted, placing a black cloak that he got from only God knows where on his master's shoulders.

Avy still had yet to calm down and was striding relatively fast. Although Ares could get used to the silence since his master almost never initiated a conversation when she didn't feel like it, he could feel that her quietness did not feel right. The original Avy's presence has always screamed danger ever since she was a child. Having been born into one of the most prominent families in the empire and as a sheltered princess guarded by monsters of the same blood, she, of course, emitted the aura of someone with a superior standing. 

Even so, it was not only because of her origins that she feels pressuring to be with for the people; it was also because of her personality. The original lady, of course, became like that due to Ares' influence as a curse. 

It is normal for a cursed person to slowly lose their own personality and be replaced by malice because of the entity they are housing inside their soul. However, after this new soul entered the original Avy's body, the heaviness of her character became much more evident. To be precise, Ares felt like that character of hers became more entitled, more untouchable than it already was. It gave the impression that she did not want to be bothered. It was almost as if there was a big red sign above her head that said, 'Leave me alone.'

Ares could feel how the new soul looked at everyone as though she was well aware that she was above them. Like a God looking down on his people, knowing he is on a higher standing, Avy comes off as someone who knows too well she is not like the others. Every day, she gives Ares a reason to fear her, and it is one of the best feelings that the curse could remember feeling in the years of his existence. 

The noble lady's blood-red eyes shone under the light of the night as she walked while glancing to her sides, in the middle of the buildings or any place one could fit themselves into. Her near-permanent frown only deepened by the second. 

The only thing that resonated throughout the place was the sound of her heels hitting the pavement, and if Ares was to comment on it, it was pretty terrifying. That sound could be compared to the stomps of a monster nearing its prey, and the curse was almost thankful that he was not the one the predator had her eyes on. 

The curse servant was trying to enjoy the peace before the storm finally came when suddenly, his master stopped in her tracks and promptly staggered. Had Ares not caught her on time, she would have already met the cold ground. 

"What is wrong with you—"

"Someone's trying to hurt the kid." One of her eyes was closed as her right hand went up to hold her head. 

"I don't like the way you sound so calm." Ares narrowed his eyes at her and was able to catch a glimpse of a smirk. He shivered at this, knowing that the look of mischief on Avy's face always indicates that a crazy idea just popped inside her head, and, most likely, he would be dragged along the mess. 

Does he have any choice in the matter? 

No, he doesn't.

"Draw your sword, Ares," demanded Avy as she pushed him away and stood up straight. She mumbled something under her breath, probably commanding Andras, who was now a benefactor of their unbreakable communication. Unfortunately, it was something that Ares could not hear. 

A second passed, and the same magic circle appeared beneath their feet. It then transported them somewhere they had never been to before. 

It was a neat-looking room, a pretty spacious one, but it was empty. The walls were cream-white, and the ceiling was plain, too, other than the magic stone serving as the source of illumination that lightened up the whole place. Avy was standing beside him; her attention was focused solely on one soul in the room that housed a considerable number of people.

After Ares had inspected the room, the first thing that he saw was the sight of two children on the floor. One of which he was really familiar with, but both he could recognize. The kid they were looking for was lying down, his head supported by some kind of bag acting as a pillow. If Ares was not wrong, he was being healed by a woman with tanned skin, and next to her was a man who looked alarmed after they showed up. 

The curse servant was brought back from his musing when he felt the temperature hitting his skin become abnormally hot. Oh, boy. He just remembered that his master was not in a good mood tonight. 

Ares now realizes that there are more people present with them. The others were on the other side, and they almost had the same situation. One person was lying down, clutching his stomach, while another looked terrified as he locked eyes with him, one more was sitting on the floor comfortably like a child, and the last was standing next to him.

Ares then called forth his sword, and it emerged from the smoke. As if he was commanded by his instinct, he pointed his sword at the woman's neck before speaking. He didn't need to hear a command from his master to move.

"I'm sorry, I have to go along my master's whims."

"WHAT IN THE-" 

The man next to the tanned girl was about to cast a spell, but Ares kicked the girl down, making her yelp in surprise, and he proceeded to put his foot on her back. His sword was still next to her neck, ready to slice it off if something did not go in accordance with Avy's wishes. 

"I advise you not to act rashly, or we'll see heads rolling tonight."

~~~

Avy could feel it all over her system. Kill was in unbearable pain to the point that she could feel it too. Perhaps, Ares was right about the reversed spell being a stupid move. However, she knows it's only a little sacrifice for something she would be able to obtain without anything in exchange—power and knowledge over Kill's well-being.

It was strange, but the moment the lady felt something entering the beast child's body, it was as though she was automatically informed of his whereabouts. She could not describe the place, but she immediately knew where he was. It was like her feet could bring her to where he was. There was something instinctive yet unquestionable about it.

Right after that moment, Andras instructed her to mention his name and be confident that she knew where she wanted to go and that he would be able to take her there, and it worked. They arrived inside an empty room, and the first thing she did was take her child. 

As Ares held the woman down with his foot, Avy quickly made her way to where Kill was lying down, ignoring the eyes glued on her at that moment. She knelt next to him and touched his face. He was burning. 

"Ma..." 

Kill was able to open his eyes a little and greet his mother, but Avy, the lady he evidently considered his mother, did not give him any gentle look whatsoever. She frowned at him and made him close his eyes once again. 

"Ares," she called for her servant, who immediately went to her side to pick up the child as she could not do it because of her weak body. 

Avy straightened her posture. It was time to deal with the consequences of barging into some unknown place without any knowledge of what could happen afterwards. Her head felt hazy, and her body was almost the same temperature as Kill. Annoyingly, it was getting in the way of her judgment, and everything was like it was vague and unclear to her. Had Ares not been there to give her a nudge on her side to call her for attention, she would have already lost herself to the unfamiliarity of what she was feeling. 

"Calm down, Avy." 

That was when Avy realized the room was too hot for an ordinary person to withstand, and it was because of her that it was happening. Her previously clouded mind was now able to get a clearer view of what was going on, and fortunately, she was able to get a hold of herself. 

The sound of a coughing child called her attention. The lady then looked at her side where the source of that sound was and saw a familiar face lying on the ground, holding his neck for his dear life. His face was red from lack of oxygen, and he was panting and gasping for air. His blonde hair was a mess, and a pair of tear-stained eyes stared back at her in shock as if he recognized her right at that moment. Avy was taken aback, and the realization was quick to hit her with a resounding slap on the face. 

It was the blond kid she met a few weeks before, along with the other children being chased by gangsters downtown. 

"...Si… Sister? What are you doing here?"

Ah, yes, she remembers now. Tertius was his name. 

"What are you doing here?" she then asked before helping him stand up. 

"No, don't answer me. I'd rather not hear the reason here," she then added as she became increasingly aware of the situation they were in that moment. It was not in her favor, to say the least.

Pairs of eyes glared holes into her person as she stood in the middle of the silent chaos. The woman that Ares had kicked on the floor was already on her feet, and her brows were knitted in anger from the treatment she got from the unwelcome visitors. 

"Rude bastard," she muttered, loud enough for them to hear. 

"What the fuck is up with these trespassing bitches?" The tanned man beside the woman seethed in annoyance, staring daggers at Ares, who threatened them with his sword. 

"What the fuck is up with you stealing and hurting children?" The curse servant barked back with a smirk. Avy knew that he could care less if anyone was to be hurt. Ares just liked jeering at people. 

"I apologize for creating a misunderstanding, but we did not hurt the children." the one standing next to the maroon haired man interjected politely. 

Ares scoffed derisively and regarded the child his master took in her wing. He was barely moving, his face red and hot, and his body slumped like a wilting plant. "Does this kid look healthy to you?" 

"Insolent! It was true that it was our fault he got bruises, but I was trying to heal him even with the small amount of divine blessing I have!" The woman claimed, visibly offended at the words she heard from the man. 

"Divine blessing, you say...?" Avy's eyes had sharpened when her ears caught that statement. Once again, the temperature changed, but it was skin-biting cold this time. She clenched her fist in a ball with her long nails digging into the skin until it bled, but the blood did not drop on the floor. 

A quick throw went towards the other woman's direction in the blink of an eye. A small cut displayed itself on her cheek before a subtle sound hit the wall behind her. It was just a small amount of blood, yet with it, the noble lady was able to create a sizable needle that grazed the other.

Of course, this one move was not tolerated by those within the room that was not, at least, acquainted with her. Quick to their stances to attack, they aimed at the strange yet offending lady before them with the intent to knock her down. However, before anyone could move, a calm yet authoritative voice resonated. 

"Stop at once." 

Everyone's eyes went to look at the source of that voice. It was the man who was sitting on the floor with an unbothered expression, now sporting an air of amusement. 

"But Brother—"

"This lady shall not be harmed. At all costs." It was apparent that his comrades were taken aback by his words. Even Avy was astounded that she was being protected. 

"Why? She stormed inside our base without being noticed and blocked by the spell you cast. This woman must be eliminated. She's a danger to us!" the man with violet hair angrily questioned with a scowl.

The wind slowly lifted the maroon hair of the man. He was swift to stand on his feet. Everyone was anticipating his answer as to why he was shielding the peculiar lady. An unknown force hit the two men who were on the ground, and they lost consciousness.

"Alistair Arkwright."

The mere name mentioned shifted the atmosphere from heated to grim. The one who was most affected was the copper-haired woman who began trembling. 

"We do not want to invoke the wrath of such a demon," the maroon-haired man added as he sauntered towards the needle created by the lady's blood. 

"Even if you were to hide the color of your eyes, you have given away the fact that you are a descendant of that family by showcasing your magic, Princess." The man looked back at Avy with a blank, soulless look. It sent shivers down her spine as his dull, teal-colored eyes saw through her.

"There is no chance that I would miss a noble who has the same type of magic as the person who changed the empire for her daughter to live free. As far as I know, only her siblings residing in a closed country in the West have the same type of magic."  The man strutted towards Avy with a knowing smile but did not come too close to not upset her personal space. 

"Am I wrong, Lady Arkwright?" Gasps and sounds of disbelief resonated inside the room when the maroon-haired man, Mercy, decided it would be a great idea to introduce the lady. 

"Bu… But, Brother! You must be mistaken. That ducal princess is known to be magicless, is she not?" Feron commented, his eyes popping in shock as he almost felt himself reeling back. 

"That very ducal princess you're referring to is present, Feron." Mercy subtly chastised. 

"I see... Lady Arkwright disappeared from the public eye after the death of Duchess Arkwright—may her soul rest in paradise—and only a handful of people could describe her appearance." Pier was the first one to be able to recover from the revelation and was able to compose himself. 

Mercy hummed in response, and then he expressed with a shrug, "If you think that way, there is a possibility that Duke Arkwright hid his daughter's ability. The reasons are unclear, and such are the reasons I would love to know." 

Avy did not like how she was being talked about while she was present. It made her want to leave so that she would hear no more. However, upon knowing that Kill was pumped with divine magic by some unknown woman, she had no choice but to stay and make her pump it out. Another thing that added to her worries was that the people inside the room did not look worthy of her trust. 

'Can you do something about Kill, Ares?

She looked back at her curse servant. She was not comfortable enough for everyone present to hear their conversation. Thus, she resorted to their private communication. 

'I can't. But on the brighter side, this woman's magic is much comparably weaker than the miracle lady. Although it was direct, I think your bond with the kid is somewhat diffusing it, like how you do with poison. A little rest, and he'll be fine,' Ares answered without looking at her. This way, nothing would seem out of the ordinary.

Avy internally heaved a breath of relief after her servant's answer. She quickly turned her attention back to the strangers inside the room, specifically to the maroon-haired man who seemed to be the most influential of them all, judging by his presence and how they regarded him. 

"Damages have been done to the both of us. Is there something that should be a reason for me to stay here longer?" For a moment, Avy saw a slight twitch on the man's lips after she said her words. Mere seconds later, it formed a small grin. 

"Too gracious, my lady. If I may, I would like to offer my hospitality to an important guest." the man offered, slightly bowing his head in a respectful stance.

"That is kind of you, but I have two children with me. One in need of immediate care and another that needs to be returned home," Avy answered and turned away in favor of ushering Ares, who was holding Kill in his arms, and Tertius, who was tightly holding onto her nightgown, towards the door so that they can finally leave. However, just as she was getting ready to twist the knob, Mercy once again spoke. 

"A beast child being kept by a noble lady. That would make such a great headline for tomorrow's newspaper, would it not?" The moment his words registered in her mind, Avy sharply leered in his direction with a glare, her eyes wondering how he knew too soon. 

Mercy, as if he was able to understand what Avy was thinking even without hearing a word from her, started speaking. "No normal being will react to the Goddess' blessing like that. Not unless the blood that flows through their veins is dominated by filth and only beasts are considered impure by the heavens."

The maroon-haired man slowly walked towards her and pulled an exquisite-looking gem the color of ice under the direct light. He then asked for Avy's hand, which she reluctantly held out, and he gently put it inside her palm. 

"But worry not, my lady. Vultures do not speak if they are provided food. The vultures would love a person of your caliber to visit us again sometime. Keeping secrets has expirations, you see," Mercy articulated, his small grin unfaltering.

For the last time, Avy was able to take a glimpse of the mysterious man's smile before the door closed. 

~~~

"Are you sure it is a good move to threaten that family's lady, Brother?" Pier gazed at the door a few seconds after the ducal princess was out of their sight. 

"Tha... That is right, Brother! That demon might come back!" Eranza exclaimed, shaken by what happened before. 

Mercy, the head of the underground organization 'Fear', a guild only known to those who had access to the dark side of the empire, hummed in response, mischief evident on his face. 

"Let us see how much the gem that fell from the heavens is worth." 

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 36 8
She was just a normal woman living her life in the modern world, when suddenly after an accident... she wakes up in the body of a person inside her f...
1.5M 43.1K 120
Liliana died by crossing the road while playing an otome game. When she opened her eyes to her utter sorrow she was transmigrated as the pitiful side...
992 21 42
crappy isekai MC's that don't have progress, so, I call them one-shots, despite having an outline and plot that I don't want to write out. "What up...
805K 29.8K 31
[Completed] Warning : The story is unedited. I apologize for the numerous grammatical errors within and messy storyline. *** After my death, I'm grat...