In this life, and the next |...

By Lov3Lorn

ೃ⁀➷"You'll see." She mused, picking up one of the dandelions. ೃ⁀➷"See what?" With a small smile, Belle blew o... More

cast
002
003
004

001

264 22 5
By Lov3Lorn

The Beauty and the Beau

: ̗̀ Belle

Tonight couldn't be over fast enough.

It has been a couple of weeks now since we'd settled down in the south of Scotland.

Our manor was beautiful. The grand hall was decked out with candles and summer flowers to welcome the Potter family and the great mahogany French doors stood at the entrance of our home like a heavenly omen.

I was dreading this dinner, thinking that if I pretended it wasn't going to happen it wouldn't. My mother gave me a once over and smiled, and even though I didn't wear the dress she'd chosen I think she enjoyed my pick.

My parents were hoping I'd get in the same Hogwarts house as the boy I was betrothed to so that the chance of their match sailing would be greater.

I already miss Beaubatons.

"Beautiful Belle, as always" My father complimented, pressing a quick kiss to my forehead when I reached the bottom stair.

"Thank you, Father." I smiled under his praise, something I received quite often but still enjoyed when it was given nonetheless.

"The Potters will be here any moment. The elves are done with dinner, everyone's dressed, and I think that's everything" my mother said to herself as she went through her mental checklist.

"Everything will be perfect Mother, just like it always is," I said as I pecked her on the cheek.

"You look stunning, but remember first impressions are everything." My mom started, and she may have wanted to go on, but we may never know that for just as she was about to continue there was a pop just outside the door. "That'll be them." She squealed.

"Yay." I sang, voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Manners, Belle." She replied giving me the standard 'don't push me' look as she opened the doors.

: ̗̀ James

Lily wouldn't have wanted me to even go to this dinner.

The tie was choking me to death and I was really tempted to loosen it until my mother walked in. "Oh Jamesie, darling, you look dashing"

"Thank you, Mum, you look lovely tonight," I replied, trying to hold back my irritation with this whole situation. His parents were yet again, trying to pair him up with someone, though this time, he didn't even know the girl in question.

"I know dear. Now remember to be polite this evening. I do not want a repeat of dinner with the Mckinnons last year." I laughed quietly to myself at the memory.

Me and Marlene made sure to ruin any marriage prospect ideas our parents had between themselves.

"Don't you smirk like that James Potter. If you pull another stunt like that tonight, I won't forgive you." My mother chastised.

Shouldn't be forcing me to be engaged to someone other than the person I love.

"I won't pull another stunt like that one." I said and she fixed me with another pointed look "I promise."

"Fine. Are you ready?" She asked.

"I suppose," I answered.

"Where is your father? Fleamont!" She called. "We need to leave. I told Rosalie that we would be outside at eight, and it's already five after."

"Here I am, dear." My father said as he appeared at the top of the stairs. "Sorry, the Aurors and I just finished drafting the contract."

"Yay," I said, my voice laden with sarcasm.

"You will be polite and respectful, do you understand me, young man?" My mother threatened.

"Yes, Mom." I smirked holding out my arm "Shall we go?"

"We shall. I'll apparate us both. Fleamont, meet us there." She replied taking my arm and ignoring my sarcasm.

I felt the familiar tugging sensation at my navel and held tightly to my mother's arm.

: ̗̀Belle

He's not awful, was my first thought. I think he just checked me out was my second.

The squealing coming from our mothers was enough to shake me from my thoughts and turn my attention toward them.

"Oh, Euphemia! You look stunning as always! Oh gosh! You probably don't even remember Belle!" She gushed.

"Remember Belle? How could I forget? She used to put on such lovely performances for us when we had tea all those years ago. But I doubt you'll even recognize James. He's grown so much! Jamesie, come introduce yourself again."

"Hello Mrs. Hawthorn, thank you so much for the dinner invitation." He said smoothly, not quite smiling but one could say he was getting there.

"Oh my goodness, how you have grown. Edmund, do you recognize him at all?" My mother gushed.

"Just barely, darling." My father replied as he looked up from where he was standing and conversing with Mr.Potter.

I was feeling blissfully forgotten until I heard my name brought into the conversation. "Now where is Belle?" My mother said looking around.

"I'm here, Mother." I replied stepping up next to her and holding my hand out to the newcomers "Hello Mrs. Potter, thank you so much for coming this evening, we're so glad you could make it."

"Such lovely manners. Now I'm sure you don't remember me at all but you used to love performing for me and Fleamont when you were much younger." Mrs. Potter prattled on.

"I'm sorry, I don't" I replied a little sheepishly, reminding the adults of how young I had to be.

"Well, then you surely won't remember my son James." She smiled bringing her son into the conversation.

: ̗̀nobody

Feigning more self-assurance than she felt, she looked him straight in the eye and was surprised to see silently suppressed annoyance staring back at her.

She opened her mouth to say something but closed it right afterward out of nervousness, and extended her hand toward him.

Noticing that his poor attempt at hiding his irritation with the whole ordeal wasn't lost on the girl, James' eyes softened.

He took her offered hand in his and then, rather than a normal handshake, suddenly bent to kiss her knuckles, never breaking eye contact.

"James Potter." The teen forced himself to smile, and as tempted as he was to dislike the girl, James knew that she really bore no greater fault in this arrangement than he did.

He had been a child as well when their parents agreed on the betrothal, and for all he knew, she could be even more unhappy about it than he was.

"Belle Hawthorn." The blond smiled back, albeit a bit unsurely as she didn't understand his sudden change of behavior.

"My, I've kept you! Let's have dinner now, shall we?" Her mother suddenly exclaimed, leading the party toward the main dining room.

All of the best china, silver, and crystal were laid out. The lavender table linens coordinated with the low floral arrangements and even with the candles ensconced on the walls.

It was really lovely, especially with the curtains opened to allow a view of the lantern-lit garden through the large windows.

"Belle," her mother whispered, "save some room for dessert."

"I need protein more than sugar, I'm building muscles. Besides— I'm already sweet enough."

Rosalie rolled her eyes and smiled while a soft snort to Belle's left caused her to look over in time to see the boy covering a grin with a large gulp of water. James Potter was odd, one second he's looking like he wants to be anywhere but here, and the other, he looks warm and like someone you'd want to be close to.

"I think I need a bit of fresh air." She murmured, patting her stomach which was now pretty much satisfied.

"Of course, dear." Her mother smiled, caressing her daughter's cheek before she'd stood up and politely excused herself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

664K 33.4K 61
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
81.7K 1.9K 33
!Uploads daily! Max starts his first year at college. Everything goes well for him and his friends PJ and Bobby until he meets Bradley Uppercrust the...
113K 3.4K 31
"she does not remind me of anything, everything reminds me of her." lando norris x femoc! social media x real life 2023 racing season
617K 18.6K 75
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...