He Came Back (Steve Rogers x...

By cptscarlett7

Steve Rogers came back. There had been a moment when Bucky thought he might not. There had been a moment when... More

Chapter 1 - The Cup of Coffee That Changed it All
Chapter 2 - You Gotta Move On
Chapter 3 - Holding Back the Darkness
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 4

158 6 7
By cptscarlett7

Steve: Sorry to text so late, but I just had to tell you... I had a great time tonight. And thank you for offering your place for our time together. Sorry I was so unprepared. I promise next time I'll plan a real date... if a next time is something you're interested in :-)

Ceci: I had a great time too. And I'm so glad you texted so I know you made it home safely. I was a little worried about you turning into a Capsicle on the drive home on the motorcycle in this cold.

Ceci: And yes, that is something I'm very interested in. I would have thought that obvious by the end of our evening last night.

Steve: I didn't want to presume, but I'm so happy to hear that. And yeah–it was chilly. I guess I'll never escape that nickname (Capsicle). For now I need to get to sleep. Early morning.

Ceci: It's going to be even colder tomorrow! Please tell me you aren't driving the motorcycle upstate tomorrow.

Steve: Definitely not. .. Goodnight, Ceci.

Ceci: Goodnight, Steve. Sweet dreams.

Steve: If my dreams involve a certain brunette barista, I know they will be sweet.

Ceci: Okay, charmer. Get some sleep.

Steve: Sweet dreams, Ceci. :)

******

Over the course of the next few days Steve kept in touch with Ceci as best he could with all the excitement at the compound thanks to Scott Lang's return. It was after a disappointing meeting with Tony that he found himself back in the City, this time with Nat and Scott, meeting with Bruce at a cafe. As they neared the end of breakfast, he excused himself to make a phone call.

Ceci was sitting at a canvas, paintbrush in hand, when her phone rang. She glanced at the number and smiled before hitting the answer button and putting the call on speaker.

"Hello!"

"Hi, sweetheart! What are you up to?"

Even without him here, his words left her blushing. "Sweetheart, eh? Getting rather comfortable with me, aren't you?"

He smirked and chuckled. "I shared what might have been one of the best kisses of my life with you, Ceci. And I've been told another date is in the cards. So, yeah, I feel pretty comfortable with you."

She laughed. "Good point. I don't mind, really. Actually... I like it."

"Yeah, sweetheart?" He emphasized the nickname again for effect.

Her stomach fluttered. "Yeah. And, to answer your question, I'm just doing a bit of work."

""Work–like painting? Or making coffee?"

She laughed. "I don't call making coffee work. That's a hobby I do to help my friend and neighbor out."

He chuckled. "I love that what most people would call a job you call a hobby, and what most would call a hobby, you call a job."

"Says the man with the wildest job ever. Speaking of, how are things going?"

"I have a little bit of a surprise. We're back in the City for a few hours. Came to visit a friend and see about enlisting his help. I was wondering if you weren't too busy– could you meet me at Floyd's Cafe? We're just chatting over breakfast."

"Sure, that sounds great. That's just down the street. I can clean up and be there in fifteen.

*****

"Um, Steve?' Ceci said hesitantly to get his attention as she saw what she was pretty sure was the back of his head. If she hadn't been sure, then the large green man he was seated with hinted that this was his table.

Steve turned and smiled wide in her direction, "Ceci!"

"Ceci?" The green man questioned.

"Who's Ceci?" the other man asked, looking between the others at the table then back up at her.

Natasha grinned as she moved to stand and slipped around Bruce to sit next to Scott. "Cecilia is Cap's new 'friend'."

Ceci blushed as Steve got up and placed a quick kiss on her cheek. "Come, have a seat, let me introduce you."

"Steve didn't tell you we were gonna be here, did he?" Nat questioned as she watched the other woman slide into the seat before Steve sat beside her.

"Well, he mentioned he was here with friends, I just didn't realize I'd be interrupting. Thought you'd be done by the time I got here. I'm sorry to intrude."

Bruce waved off her concern with his giant hand. "Oh, you're not interrupting  or intruding on anything. We were all done with the important stuff. Just catching up on life." It's nice to meet you, Cecilia–I'm Bruce."

The large green man held out his hand and Ceci almost giggled as it dwarfed her own as she shook it. "Just call me Ceci."

"And this is Natasha Romanoff," Steve said, motioning towards the red-head.

"Please, call me Nat, Ceci." Natasha smiled, her eyes twinkling as she looked at how happy Steve was as he kept his gaze on the woman to his right.

Ceci smiled and shook her hand across the table. "Nat, it's great to meet you. I've heard lots about you."

"Uh oh. Whatever Steve says, it's all lies."

Ceci laughed along with her. "Even the good stuff?"

"Especially the good stuff," Nat grinned.

Steve smiled as he watched the interaction between one of his closest friends and the woman who'd captured his thoughts, and if he was honest—his heart. It was early days, but it was clear to him that Cecilia Quin was someone he wanted to keep in his life for as long as she might have him.

He glanced at Scott, who was practically bouncing like a puppy awaiting his turn. "And this is Scott Lang," Steve said with a chuckle, introducing the final person in their group.

Ceci continued to smile and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you Scott. You're Ant Man, right?"

Scott beamed. "She knows who I am!" He said excitedly as he looked at Steve proudly before looking back to Ceci. "It's great to meet you, too. Any friend of Cap's is a friend of mine."

"So, Ceci–how did you and Steve meet?" Bruce asked.

Ceci blushed as she thought about that not-so-distant day and turned to gaze at Steve warmly. "Oh, I made him a cup of coffee."

Steve explained further. "She helps out at a coffee shop I visited last week. We hit it off and have been keeping in touch."

"Steve was charming. He asked if I might be able to go in break and have a blueberry scone with him."

Nat chuckled. "Oh how romantic, Steve."

"Shut it, Nat," Steve grumbled.

"Seriously though, I'm happy for you. It seems like you two have done more than just hit it off. It feels almost like you two have known each other a lot longer. There's just chemistry there, yeah?"

Ceci blushed at the other woman's bluntness in talking about their relationship while she sat there.  But she whole-heartedly agreed. She gave a gentle nod and looked back to Steve again. "It does feel like we've known each other forever, doesn't it?"

Steve smiled and nodded in agreement. "It does."

"So, you're a barista?" Bruce asked.

Ceci finally drew her gaze away from Steve and looked to Bruce as she answered him. "Well–yes, but just for fun. I'm actually an artist by profession."

"Oh, yeah? How does that pay the bills?" Scott asked.

Steve chuckled and Ceci gave him a smile. His friends didn't yet know her identity. "Can I?" he asked and she nodded bashfully. Steve pulled out his phone and did a quick search on the browser, pulling up an image gallery. "These look familiar?" he asked as he held the phone out for his friends to see. All their eyes went wide.

"Woah, you're Quin?" Bruce asked, looking between her and the pictures.

She nodded. "I am."

"You think the public stuff is incredible, you should see her private collection." Steve said proudly.

Natasha snickered playfully. "We'll leave her private collection to you, Steve."

Steve blushed and scowled at his friend. "Nat!"

Meanwhile Ceci turned an even darker shade of pink and Scott almost spewed out the water he'd just taken a sip of before giving Nat a fist bump. "Good one," he choked out.

Nat sighed and looked at her watch. "I hate to cut this short, but we should probably pick up Bruce's stuff and be heading back to the Compound so he and Scott can get to work."

"And how exactly are all four of us fitting in the car? Since the big guy is coming along?" Scott questioned as he motioned towards Bruce.

Ceci listened along with the discussion about options for fitting the Hulk into their vehicle. In a lull in conversation she spoke up. "Why don't I drive Steve back? That'll give you more room in the car–Bruce can stretch out in the back seat."

Steve frowned. "I can't ask you to go out of your way like that." Concern laced his voice.

"It's what, an hour drive up and an hour back? That's not bad. Unless you're worried about being trapped in a car with me for an hour," she finished with a charming smile that he couldn't help but reflect.

"Hmm, let's see–trapped in a car for an hour with my favorite artist? You have a deal, Miss Quin."

"Very good, Captain Rogers."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.3K 1.7K 51
"He walked into my heart like he always belonged there, took down my walls and lit my soul on fire." - "I have completely fallen for you. Everything...
11.5K 438 46
"Crossing the room to the doorway, so he could greet his husband with a kiss. Not lingering the way that he used to, Bucky marked Steve's bump, in h...
2K 110 25
When a mystery human enters the avengers compound during a regular Monday morning meeting, many avengers come to realise that there seems to have bee...
9.3K 812 20
*~COMPLETE~* SEQUEL TO UNEXPECTED GUEST It's been 9 years since Andie died in the mission on the ship. After giving up the life for a while the war...