Moon, Bitten

By inkzerospace

Ronan Morrissey is Alpha of his loup-garou pack and as Alpha the laws of Feral demand he take a mate, but a c... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Seven

116K 4.8K 339
By inkzerospace

After three cups of coffee and a half-eaten hamburger, Kate pushed her plate away and asked for the bill.

Julie approached with a crooked grin, "Sleaze-ball hasn't looked your way since he sat down, probably still licking his wounds, the dirt bag." She paused, eyeing the man with cerulean-daggers, "Ronan should have wiped the floor with him."

At the mention of her unlikely savior, it prompted a sudden tingling along her skin, one that drove her from her seat as the invasion of sharp, gray eyes arose to mind. "I should go. Thanks for dinner."

Julie seized up her plate and waved her out the door, all the while glaring heatedly at the man huddled shame-faced in the corner.

The air had cooled some with the approaching dusk and she tilted her face to the breeze that carried to her.

She quite liked BlackMountain. Aside from a few impertinent stares, no one asked questions. Her newfound haven appeared seemingly befitting and hopefully would prove to be therapeutic, though she imagined it would take some lengthy time before retrieving any happiness that was once her.

She tried recalling ever being happy with Danny. She had loved him, so much so she would've done anything for him. She hadn't realized that she'd unknowingly given her heart to a monster.

Would she ever truly be free of him? After waking in that hospital room with no recollection as to what happened, unaware that she'd lost a small part of her along with her memory – had all been a monumental realization.

She would never make the mistake of returning to him.

She reached home just before nightfall and decided she'd go for that run in the morning.

Taking the few steps that led up onto her rickety porch, she paused to survey the encroaching darkness that which enshrouded the surrounding trees.

She wasn't so much disquieted by the actuality of being alone; vulnerable to whatever may lurk in the surrounding wood. She in fact, quite genuinely, relished the very idea of it. She was certain her solitude would be her key factor in ensuring her safety. It just might protect her from the impending danger that was Danny Horner.

Kate awoke abruptly the next morning, gasping desperately for a breath while clutching at her throat.

Her eyes danced wildly about the room, momentarily caught in the aftermath of a nightmare. Steadily, awareness settled and her shoulders went slack. Her chest arose and fell with uneven breaths and she could do no more than give way to the onset of tears that consumed her.

Trembling, she shoved the blanket aside and swung her legs over the bed. She remained there, arms on either side, palms gripping the mattress as she tried shaking the lingering remnants of her fears.

She may have been eager to forget her painful past but it appeared as though her subconscious-self refused to do so.

After ten minutes of crying softly, she wiped her tears and straightened from the bed. Running a shaky hand through her tousled hair, she moved towards the window and peered outwardly.

The sunrise was a soothing, welcoming sight.

She knew it was going to take some time before she was completely free of Danny and all the horrible, inconceivable things he'd done to her.

But how much time was enough?

Her nightmare was as vivid and painful as if it were real. Reminding her all too gravely that Danny still had a hold of her, though it may not be physically, it was in every way, emotionally and mentally.

Wrapping her arms about herself, she turned away from the window to get dressed for her run, hoping it would assuage her uneasy thoughts.

She had donned a pair of gray yoga pants and a pale, yellow tank. Pulling her hair into a ponytail she considered a jacket but eventually decided against it.

As she stepped outside a smile broadened her face.

The sun rose languidly beyond the trees, taking its leisure time in depicting the sky with shades of pink and orange with but one, gossamer cloud drifting a by.

A breeze carried through the trees, stirring limbs and splintering feeble leaves from their stems. She felt the coolness of lingering morning dew as it whisked over her skin, further widening her smile.

Spying the narrowing trail she started for it in a light run. She focused on her breathing, inducing steady, encouraging breaths as she all but surveyed the vastness of green and vegetation. She could feel the softened dirt beneath her soles as she quickened her pace, following the undisturbed trail, mindful to the trees that widened and thickened about her.

She ran harder, her ribs protesting with a dull ache but she pressed on, delighting in the run as the earth hastened beneath her. She curved a path, leaping over a fallen branch, feeling the cool air more prominently at her nape as beads of perspiration formed there, her heart thumping wildly against her chest, propelling her onward.

She wasn't sure how long she'd been running for. The sun was higher now, some of those pink and orange shades gone with a forthcoming blue.

The trail had led her up the eastside of the mountain. The ground was more solid, some of it rock, hidden beneath the green terrain.

Her chest burning with fleeting breaths, she slowed her pace and flattened a hand over her ribs, the ache there gradually intensifying.

Catching her breath, she noticed she'd come to an overhang. She stepped further out marveling at the sight that lengthened below the steep face of the rock, momentarily caught in awe by the beauty of the mountains that flourished in sight.

Her tank clung to the small of her back but a breeze that drifted to her upon that edge flit through her dampened shirt, cooling her flushed skin.

Her legs tingled with the run, so much so that she hadn't felt the very ground, ground she believed solid, crumble from beneath her.

A panic ripped through her chest, prompting a strangled cry from her throat as she all but simultaneously dropped with the disintegrating earth. Her hands lashed out, desperately scrambling for something solid to grasp as terror laced her limbs, all the while, the soil slipping unmercifully beneath her fingers.

Unbridled tears blurred her vision as the waning edge suddenly spit her into nothingness and she felt the weight of her body falling to the impending certainty of a broken body.

It happened so abruptly, just as the crumbling precipice that she hadn't time to comprehend what followed. She'd been falling, certain that a roughened grove would greet her fall only to be snatched from gravity with a fleeting deftness that escaped her.

Her eyes closed, breathless and momentarily dazed, she forced air into her lungs, feeling the sudden surety of ground beneath her trembling frame.

Was she imagining it?

She must be dead, surely, to have eluded the ominous snap of her body as it struck the ground?

If she were dead, why then did her ribs ache tremendously?

As the horror of what nearly occurred slowly ebbed from her body, only then was she aware of the unwavering warmth that sheathed her.

A breath hitched in her throat and her eyes opened of their own accord, connecting with a lucid, silvery gaze.

She realized horrifying that the warmth encasing her was none other than incredible brawn.

          Ronan couldn't believe his good fortune. The very woman that had tormented and weighed his thoughts now lay in his arms, staring wildly at him with those cat-like eyes.

He could taste her fear as it emitted the air, feel it shudder from her limbs into his as she lay immobile beneath him. His nose inhaled deeply of orchids, wrapping him in the lovely, tantalizing scent of her, prompting a groan that he struggled to quell.

She lay flat against his forearm, her dark hair, barely managed within its restraint dispersed the earth in an alluring spread.

He felt the rise and fall of her breasts, inducing a maddening sliver of desire as it rippled over him in a startling and unnerving way.

Lying here only worsened his kindling fervor for she lay flushed beneath him, making him painstakingly aware of every soft and enticing curve that molded perfectly to every hardened inch of him.

An unwarranted heat spiraled low in his belly and muscles tightened, stiffening as he swept her with a heated perusal, his eyes moving admirably over the shape of her mouth, the slant of her brows, features all of which had him intently fixated.

He seemed incapable of moving, fascinated by those pale green eyes with just a hint of blue. He felt her state of shock, could see it in the thin layer of haze that veiled her eyes as she stared blankly, her heart beating erratically against the solidness of his own.

He'd been treading the other side of the mountain, attuned to his inner beast evoked by the stirrings of nature, when that familiar and unmistakable cadence settled to his ears.

He stilled, his muscles stiffening as he tilted his head to inhale the air, his body instinctively hardening with the sudden awareness of her.

Little Red Dress.

A wayward breeze carried her scent to him and with a subdued growl he took off in running. He marveled in the chase, drawn by the beguiling smell of her as it lured him to that steep, precarious edge.

His eyes fastened heatedly to the length of her, sweeping her from head-to-toe, admiring every desirable curve that deemed appraising.

The manner in which she held her ribs hadn't escaped him nor had he a moment to fully fathom as a sudden ominous shift in the ground, a sound undetected by human ears, jarred him to the realization of dirt crumbling fast, and with a preternatural litheness, he launched from the trees as the edge pitched from beneath her.

He caught her discernable cry as it resounded sharply in the air, the sound alarming to his ears.

He could see the questioning glint in her eye of just how they managed to defeat the explicable pull of gravity.

He knew the moment she became afraid.

It didn't set well with him, in fact, he quite hated it.

He pushed his body up and in doing so pulled her along with him. She allowed it, if only for a brief and scant moment before putting a considerable distance between them.

She avoided his stare all together and he noticed discernibly that her hand had returned to that spot above her ribs.

"You alright?" he asked a bit coarsely with an edge of gruffness that appeared to unsettle her.

She cleared her throat, shakily brushing remnants of dirt from her legs as she answered in a meek and feebly audible response, "Yes."

His eyes narrowed on where her hand rested and instinctively he took a step toward her.

Her head shot upright and she retreated, eyeing him with a distrust that further unnerved him, "I'm fine." She asserted green eyes alight with a perceptible fear.

Kate struggled in masking her fear, most especially due to the weight of that silvery gaze that all but unraveled her barely composed nerves.

Her ribs ached something awful, so much so that it took every bit of her willpower to keep from doubling over.

She was certain that she'd been falling to her death. She could barely piece together what just happened. How had he managed to grab her so easily, so swiftly in the blink of an eye?

Her gaze moved warily over him, very much aware of him watching her but incapable of pulling her eyes away.

He was a daunting man. Just as formidable and frightening in the broadness of morning light as he was in the obscured quarters of his nightclub, and oddly enough light of foot, for such a sizable man.

She hadn't even heard or seen him.

She noticed however that the sunlight did wonders to his flaxen hair, enhancing that shoulder-length mane to an impressive gold.

Her heart thumped wildly against her breast as she surveyed his impressive muscle-clad frame. He was entirely a different breed of man. He had a charge of air about him that bespoke dominance, forewarning her to steer clear. He was every bit as menacing as he was the other night.

And she realized quite alarmingly that she was utterly and defenselessly alone with him. He could easily hurt her, subdue her, and do whatever he deemed fit and no one would know.

Her throat constricted at that chilling thought and inherently she took another step back.

That silver gaze narrowed shrewdly, "Twice now I've encountered you, and yet I do not know your name." that deep timbre swept over her in a sensually dark and tingling caress.

Her breathing intensified, further agitating her aching ribs which prompted a wince from her.

"You're hurt." It wasn't a question but an assertion and he moved toward her, which propelled her backward.

"No!" she exclaimed almost in a plea, her hand hovering between them as if to ward him off.

His brow furrowed and his face darkened almost angrily.

She dropped her hand to quell the tremor that rushed up her arm. Her mouth suddenly went dry with the unmasked anger that teemed from the impact of that lucid stare.

You're doing a phenomenal job in ensuring your safety, Kate. Her subconscious warned.

"Thank you." She blurted in an attempt to patch up this intense, emotionally-riddled moment. Her eyes moved warily to where she'd been a moment ago. She'd nearly plummeted to her death.

Her eyes wavered back to her savior, twice now, she realized.

She forced a smile, a pitiful one at that, still noticeably shaken and decided now was a good time as any to leave. Turning and unconsciously clutching her ribs, she started in the direction towards home.

She hadn't heard or sensed him move, just as before and suddenly he was there, grabbing her arm and turning her about.

An exhilarating rush of heat spun from his fingertips, sweeping up her arm in a tingling formation until spreading like an enraptured flame.

She gasped, caught unaware by the unexpected surge of warmth that flourished from his touch. She would have taken a step back, something he obviously anticipated for his fingers tightened.

Her heart turned over with a fleeting and delirious alarm for she felt the strength in that iron-grip.

His countenance was impenetrable and she could detect nothing of emotion within but realized his grip wasn't threatening, merely firm.

He was silent, watching her with that unsettling stare. She felt the heat of his incredibly muscled body, wrapping around her already befuddled senses, recalling that warmth and brawn that had enveloped her a moment ago.

When she raised her eyes to his she was startled to see that they had fastened intently on her ribs.

She peered at him cautiously, incapable of moving, completely listless by the presence of this man, though her mind demanded she flee.

It was when his hand gingerly and quite boldly spanned that aching spot beneath her breast that she was jarred from her momentary trance.

She jerked from him with an outraged gasp, her eyes widening at the audacity and nerve, not to mention his touch that frighteningly stirred unexplained and unwanted feelings in her.

His eyes darkened considerably, that vivid gleam deepening to a slate-gray as his mouth turned grim.

"Are you prone to touching women so brazenly?" she snapped, her face flushed red with anger and for a moment she thought she detected a hint of startled humor in that slate stare.

Some of the severity left his face as his mouth curved into a grin, "Only the pretty ones I can assure you."

She blanched at his response, clearly taken aback and somewhat speechless.

Pretty? He was being callous.

She could hear Danny's mocking tone now – There isn't a man on earth that would find you attractive.

Her features furrowed as if struck with that mental remembrance and she unknowingly pressed her hand over her ribs.

Her eyes focused sharply on the man in front of her.

"It was untoward. Forgive me." He said, his manner of speaking somewhat surprising her, considering the appeal of danger he presented, "I was merely confirming an assumption."

At this, she squared her shoulders, some of her anger returning, "Which you've managed barbarically."

He resisted a grin.

She eyed him indignantly, "Are you naturally impulsive or just ignorant in judging a woman's reaction to being affronted?" she immediately regretted the retort as it slipped from her mouth, realizing the potential danger this man presented.

This time Ronan couldn't stifle his grin. It broadened his perfectly sculpted mouth, noticing the pull of those green eyes as they settled there.

"Perhaps if you tell me your name, I won't be so inclined again in doing something rash?"

Kate was startled. He was actually amused! She had clearly insulted him, though that hadn't been her intention she'd merely stated the remark out of anger.

She wasn't sure what had compelled her to give him her name but it slipped from her lips unconsciously, and afterwards she bit her lip regrettably.

Those gray eyes flared with a fire unbeknownst to her.

He then said, "Have dinner with me, Kate."

Her stomach fluttered uncontrollably, her heart doing a sudden somersault in her chest as a small breath hastened from her lips, "No."

He appeared unaffected by her outright rejection. She had expected anger, not an insufferable calm that all but puzzled her.

Danny would have slapped her around a bit.

Those unworldly gray eyes took on a challenging gleam, leveling intently upon her flushed face, "Am I not deserving of a reward, having rescued you twice?"

She cringed inwardly.

She should have known he'd use that to his defense.

He had rescued her twice.

And she had repaid him with an insult.

If you play with fire, you will surely get burned. A little voice warned from afar.

And this man was the epitome of fire.

There was just something insanely menacing about him, aside from his wickedly good-looking face and incredibly impressive brawn. She had a deep and assertive instinct that this man was every bit dangerous.

What's one dinner? Her sub-conscious attested.

"Alright." She said a bit hesitantly, "One dinner."

He arched a brow at this. "One dinner compared to two damsel-in-distress bits?'

"Considering how you practically manhandled me a moment ago, you shorted yourself."

He chuckled then, a sound that rippled through her in a deliriously distracting way, "Alright then, one dinner."

He stepped closer to her and every nerve ending came alive with the proximity of him, "Tonight, nine o'clock."

And he was gone.

Kate blinked and realized horribly her mistake.

She just agreed to go to dinner with a man notoriously known for a bad temper.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9M 209K 8
Sienna is a trained wolf assassin who learned not to trust anyone from a young age. She is loyal and caring, but appears heartless and harsh to outsi...
88K 3K 45
Paige Diana Morgan was considered the best in her class. She had a fierce quality about her. And why not she was one of the toughest nut to crack. S...
2.5M 66.5K 41
At eighteen every wolf finds their mate, or at least they hope to. For Kelsey Hendricks, this is no different. She prays to find her mate, in hopes t...
197K 10.2K 56
Porter was not looking for his mate, but it only took him one look at her to realize she was everything he wanted. He doesn't care that she's human...