Wilting || Colin Bridgerton

Od eisntme

Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leavin... Více

sincerely colin
cast
01.release
02.the palace
03.henry
04.loved
05.nightmare
06.might we
07.resurrection
08.first party
09.love
10.engagement
11.absolutely
13.harmony
14.the woods
15.an unsuitable man

12.ruin

5.3K 118 10
Od eisntme

The next morning after breaking our fast Elliot insisted we join the Bridgerton family in a promenade to show we stood by them. The twins protested the entire time we prepared ourselves, Edward simply didn't wish to walk whereas Evangeline wouldn't stop whining about how we would be ruined. They both finally stopped when we made our way outside, meeting the Bridgerton family between our homes.

"Haywards!" Lady Bridgerton called out with a smile when she saw us, "Thank you so much for joining us."

"Of course, Lady Bridgerton. It is the least we could do to repay all the kindness your family has shown us throughout the years," Elliot smiled, before gesturing for us to go on.

As we went Lady Bridgerton attempted to greet members of the ton as we passed them but only received nervous and judgmental glances in return. I clutched Elliot's arm slightly tighter as I began to worry that the damage done may be worse than imagined. Exasperated by the treatment she was receiving Lady Bridgerton stopped in her tracks with a huff.

"This is ridiculous," She said shaking her head at her eldest son.

"Perhaps it just needs time to settle, Lady Bridgerton," I offered unsurely.

The older woman sighed as she looked off ahead of us. It was as though the entire ton had turned against the Bridgerton's overnight, and now by associating our family was grouped within their scandal. We returned to our homes glumly, after realizing no matter how long we walked we were unable to receive even a gesture as a greeting from one person.

"I told you this was a mistake," Evangeline sighed as she removed her gloves.

"I'm starting to agree with her," Edward shrugged as he received curious glances from us, "And that's how you know it's bad."

"We shall continue to support the Bridgerton family in anyway possible, just as they have done for the Hayward family for years."

Elliot's words hung heavy in the air as we contemplated their meaning. The mourning period of my father was soon over and next season Evangeline was to make her debut into society as a lady. Scandal was the last thing we needed, especially after Elliot just becoming the head of the household as any issues that came about would reflect poorly on him. As my mind raced with each negative outcome of our families friendships I could not help but wonder how it would effect my relationship with Colin. I tried to busy myself with needlework in the drawing room but Evangeline's nonstop pacing and fretting made it impossible.

"Our brother has truly gone mad," She declared looking at Edward, "That can be the only explanation as why he would send us to ruin."

"Sister, I believe you are only making it worse on yourself by thinking so much of it," Edward groaned.

"But how could I think of anything else? I wish to marry next season and if we are wrapped up in the scandal with the Bridgertons and Sharmas then I shall not have any suitable prospects."

"Like any man would truly wish to marry you," Edward chuckled before Evangeline threw a book at him.

His face turned red with anger and he quickly stomped out of the room without another word. Evangeline sighed as she retrieved the book from the floor and placed it back on the table she had collected it from. She then allowed herself to fall on to the spot of the couch next to me, causing me to prick my finger and grit my teeth.

"I will apologize. I know he was only trying to make light to cheer me," She said resting her head on my shoulder.

"I said nothing of the matter," I huffed as I placed my needlework to the side.

"Yes, but I know you well enough to know you would lecture me for my anger. He just is always so—"

"So Edward?"

"Precisely," Evangeline laughed as she nuzzled into me, "Maggie, might I ask you a question?"

"I don't see why not," I smiled as I wrapped my arm around her.

"Do you believe I shall be able to secure a love match next season after my debut?"

Her question caused a small frown to form on my face as I realized she truly worried that she would be unable to find love. Our parents may have been happy but everyone knew there was no true love there, perhaps a friendship at best. Yet growing up around the Bridgerton family allowed us to see a love that was so much beyond mere companionship and duty. Then she also grew viewing the marriage of our elder sister and I knew that was one no better than our parents. Biting my lip I thought carefully before allowing myself to speak.

"I believe that love is possible for everyone, and that we all are equally deserving of it."

"That wasn't an answer to my question," She groaned, covering her face with her hanns.

"Evangeline," I sighed as I pulled her hands away, "You are smart, beautiful, kind, and extremely talented in the arts. Finding a man who does not fall in love with you by simply being in your presence will be more difficult."

She smiled at me a moment before her face contorted into one of concern, "Do you believe you shall marry for love?"

"I should only hope," I sighed pulling her closer to me. We stayed like that for some time, simply holding each other in silence as we daydreamed of a romance yet to come. Though I tried keep my mind open to love in any relationship I could only imagine Colin's face in every scenario. I thought of how he would look at me as I walked down the isle of a church on our wedding day, and how he would hold my hand as I birthed our children. Soon I found myself imagining the home we would have, and even the societal debuts of our own daughters. With each thought my smile grew as well as the feeling of butterflies in my stomach.

Just as I was beginning to drift to sleep, my mind still reeling with a future with Colin, I heard the familiar taps on my window. My smile grew, and from a day full of it sent a sting to my cheeks as I made my way to the window. Down in the garden Colin stood smiling back up at me and I could feel my heartbeat quicken. I opened the window and leaned out slightly as to see him better.

"Good evening, Miss Hayward," He called in a hushed tone.

"Good evening to you as well, Mr. Bridgerton."

"Will you be joining me down here tonight?"

"I am afraid to inform you that I am quiet tired from all of the excitement that has taken place as of late," I sighed as I rested my head sleepily on my hand.

"Very well," He chuckled, "I apologize for keeping you up."

"No need, I do enjoy it when you interrupt my rest."

"Sleep well, Maggie."

"You try and do the same, Colin"

He then slowly turned away as he began towards his house. I sighed dreamily as I pulled myself back into my room and closed my window. I was nearly back in my bed when I heard the tapping once more. Puzzled by what it could be I returned to the window, opening it once more to see Colin panting as though he had ran back to his previous spot.

"What ever is the matter?" I called out, slightly worried.

"I forgot," He panted.

"Forgot what?"

He smiled up at me, the moon illuminating his face, "I love you, Maggie."

I shook my head at him before he began to jog towards his home. This time I stayed in the window to ensure he truly returned, only closing it after I could no longer make out his figure through the scattered trees. Finally I returned to my bed, cheeks still burning from the smile that refused to fall from my face. Yet as I stared up at my ceiling I was unable to think of the irritating pains or even of the sleep I had been so desperate for moments ago. Only one thing repeated in my mind, finally ceasing after I spoke the thought in a whisper to myself.

"I love you, Colin."

   .❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

As time passed the Bridgertons and Sharmas tried to push themselves back into the favor of the good London society. So much in fact Lady Bridgerton decided to host a ball, which much to Evangeline's displeasure we were all going to attend as per Elliot. I had a new dress made, a sage green with loose sleeves falling to my elbow. I paired it with a small pearl necklace before grabbing the hat box out of the back of my wardrobe. I found the bracelet Colin had gifted me years ago, clasping it to my wrist with a smile.

Without a knock my door opened to reveal a disgruntled Evangeline who immediately made her way to my bed, allowing herself to fall into it with a exaggerated sigh. Quickly I put the box away before making my way over to her, brushing her back as she laid face down into the sheet.

"I don't want to go," Her voice came out mumbled through the fabric.

"It is just a Bridgerton party, and there is no pressure for you to do anything but test the waters before next year."

"You don't get it," She whined as she sat to face me, "Maggie, I have yet to make my debut and yet Elliot is insisting on ruining me already."

"You shall not be ruined," I smiled, brushing the hair from her face.

"All my life I have waited for my season," She whispered with misty eyes, "Now I find myself full of fear and dread at the idea of being ruined, or rejected, or—"

"Evangeline," I interrupted, "You have nearly a year to wait before you must concern yourself of these things. I will not say that it is easy, my experience has not been at least, but I will be by your side through it all."

"No, you won't," She shook her head, "That stupid Bridgerton will take you from us."

I stared back at her in shock, fear washed over me that we had been spotted during one of our secret meetings. As I stumbled to find any words Evangeline smiled at me softly, taking my hand in her own.

"I see the way the two of you look at one another, sister. There is so much love there it is enviable."

"We are just friends, Evangeline."

"He courted you," She laughed.

"A year ago, and it lead nowhere. Please do not share these silly thoughts of yours, the Bridgerton family has enough to worry about as is."

She pressed her lips in a thin line as she stared at me incredulously before simply nodding. I forced myself to smile as I held in a sigh of relief. Before our conversation could continue our attention was drawn to the door from which the booming calls of Elliot echoed through the hall. We looked back at one another for comfort before I pulled her by her hand down to the foyer, ready for a night of harmony.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

21.4K 404 21
Penelope Featherington is in love with Colin Bridgerton and he's too stupid to realise. He was getting married & she didn't want to watch him grow ol...
1.5M 45.8K 54
"𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒊𝒏, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐�...
199K 6.7K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
98K 2.3K 14
London, 1814 . Alina Wellesley, the daughter of the renowned Duke of Wellington is ready to make her debut in society and find a husband. However, wi...